UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 01-21-2021, 05:13 AM   #8026
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Wonder Egg Priority

I'd like to have a debate with Loki over whether he thinks this is well animated or not. The 3D CGI bleeds out to me and makes it look bad, and in other cost saving shots you can see tweens, scrolls or zooms to control perspective.

It's not particularly engaging a story to me. Kind of trippy.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 04:30 AM   #8027
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

End spoiler for Mushoku Tensei

Spoiler: show

Eris = Din
Sylphy = Farore
Roxy = Nayru

Rudeus is married to all 3 of the Zelda goddesses at once. Pfeh!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-29-2021, 01:13 AM   #8028
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I need some emotional support (not a joke).

A manga I was reading...descended into NTR.

It was horrifying and my soul feels injured right now. ;_;
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-08-2021, 05:46 PM   #8029
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I ended up reading the Re:Zero web novel and it's fantastic.

There are some parts that are questionable, especially when it devolves into "shounen" complete with arsepull power-ups, but otherwise it just gets better and better as the story goes on, especially Arc 6 which is better than any Overlord book due to its psychological introspection.

The WN itself is pretty hit or miss. The worst Arc is 5, while the best is 6 and 4. This is in contrast to the anime where 4 is horrible (i.e., R:0 season 2) and the first three arcs tell a pretty consistent story.

Despite what others might insist, I can't say that Arcs 1-3 of the WN are better than the anime. The WN starts off kind of amateurish but I can understand this considering the order of the writing, which was basically:

1 → 3 → 4 → 2 → 3 → 5 → 6

What this means is Tappei, the author, initially wrote 1, 3 and 4 as an Emilia-Subaru story then added Arc 2 to flesh out some things for Arcs 3 and 4, which lead to developing Rem who took on a life of her own...and thus, Arc 3 had to be rewritten.

This is basically why Emilia is MIA in Arcs 2-3 and why Rem is MIA in Arc 4 (although she warps the plot of Arc 4 away fro Emilia). And that's why Arc 4 looks kind of messy and why the story itself seems to have an identity crisis with Subaru loving two main heroines at once.

If you cut out Rem trying to hijack the plot in Arcs 2-3 you can see how Emilia fits in as the main heroine.

Arc 6 did a fine job of attempting to reckon Emila back into the plot but I think it ultimately failed in spite of Rem being a non-presence.

So, yeah. For a WN, it's the best I've read. For an isekai it's right up there. I think the writing quality is well above Tsukimichi and Mushoku Tensei.

I'll rate the R:0 WN as Outstanding, and since it's free everyone should go out and read it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-11-2021, 12:28 PM   #8030
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Been reading Spy x Family. Very cute.

After a war between east and west left both nations scarred, a long cold war has started. The west has sent their master spy, Twilight to infiltrate the east and do everything in his power to prevent another war. His newest assignment: start a family and infiltrate an elite school in order to meet the east country's reclusive leader.

Twilight, a master of disguise who had given up on the idea of a family for the security of his country now has to build a family from nothing. He adopts a strange girl named Anya, who secretly has mind reading powers and decided to impress Twilight in hopes of joining his spy adventures. She isn't very smart, but can get through by reading minds of those nearby. For his wife, he meets a beautiful but lonely woman named Yor. She is nearing 30 years old and is still single and fears the Secret Police will suspect her of espionage, which isn't try. In truth, she is the Thorn Princess, a secret assassin for the East who puts down political traitors.

Now a master spy for the West, a secret child telepath, and an assassin for the East each with their own hidden life form a family.

The premise is nice, but I will say one of the characters is sadly underused and has thus far mostly been for gags. It's only about 40 chapters now and it's one of SJ Online's most popular series. Hopefully future chapters will balance out all the characters.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:11 AM   #8031
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

I started reading Spy x Family last year when the quarantine started. It is very cute. =3 Haven't seen updates for it in a while though, at least on the site I was using. (Last chapter I read was 29.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
The premise is nice, but I will say one of the characters is sadly underused and has thus far mostly been for gags.
Which character are you referring to?
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 05:46 PM   #8032
Connor
Flashbacker

I was reading Spy x Family but dropped it for reasons I can't remember. I should probably get back into it, I was enjoying the premise and it was certainly pretty cute. I've found myself getting more invested in series like that as I've gotten older.

Anybody else been reading Frieren at the Funeral? It's pretty endearing. It follows the adventures of an elf who travelled with the Hero and his party who defeated the Demon King after the death of said Hero, with her wanting to connect more with humans and create more meaningful relationships. It's a nice take on the trope of Elves being rather detached from the lives of humans due to their lengthy life spans.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:58 PM   #8033
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm familiar with Frieren but as someone who reads a ton of isekai, I don't see the appeal outside of the magazine it's serialized in (Shounen Sunday). It's a fairly ordinary 'native isekai' *cough* fantasy *cough* that happens to have a brand name that people will read.

Spy x Family, by the same token, is a title I hadn't heard of but is usually out of my purview, being a Shounen Jump title. I generally don't touch Jump with a ten-metre poll and Chainsaw Man has given me renewed resolve toward why.

I don't like the stable of Jump editors and the censorship standards they impose on artists, so almost everything I read these days comes in the form of small print or online only publishers. You sacrifice a lot in art quality and story content going to these manga, but sometimes things stick, like with Tsuki or Mynoghra.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-17-2021, 04:05 PM   #8034
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Kemono Jihen

Awesome. This is like a horror version of Mushishi. Supernatural yokai-like critters called kemono are starting to leave mythology and encroach on Japanese life. Detective Inugmi, a half-tanuki kemono, acquires a half-ghoul kemono as a ward during one of his jobs. The two go around Japan solving paranormal cases.

Good start and apparently an anime is airing? I don't care about that, though!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-20-2021, 12:45 PM   #8035
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilboocorsola View Post
Which character are you referring to?
Yor the assassin is never used much in her assassin part. There were several times in reading the chapters that I kind of plainly forgot she was an assassin. They play it for gags sometimes like when she kicks a car and beats up terrorists or some such, but they pretty much never show her doing assassinations whereas Loid is constantly on missions and of coarse Anya is always at school making progress.

It'd be nice to see like a Data's Day type episode with Yor and follow her through a whole day from morning with the family, to her city hall job, to her preparing for a target, then actually executing the job and then coming home to the family.

TLDR; Yor is just a mom and we only see progress in that. We rarely see her as an assassin.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:00 AM   #8036
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I just read the most recent chapter of Iruma and Iruma goes into his wicked phase while cross-dressing at a rock concert, wearing BDSM clothes.

I was reading the comments on mangadex and about 30% of them are to the effect of "please step on me". Isn't that a little odd?

Probably the weirdest sensation was, before reviewing the comments, I saw Iruma and thought, "please stomp on me, Iruma-sensei". Oh my!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-08-2021, 10:52 AM   #8037
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai

Big manga spoilers. BIG.

DO NOT OPEN IF YOU DON'T WANT WANT THE SERIES RUINED

**SPOILER ALERT**
**SPOILER ALERT**
**SPOILER ALERT**
**SPOILER ALERT**
**SPOILER ALERT**
**SPOILER ALERT**
**SPOILER ALERT**

あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-10-2021, 01:17 AM   #8038
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm absolutely stunned.

In addition to that certain spoiler from above, a number of other series also went the same route, including

Rebuild of Evangelion
UQ Holder!

And supposedly, so will Domestic Girlfriend.

Like what the fudge is happening? I thought this was just an isekai-only phenomenon. Abe's Revenge?!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-17-2021, 05:33 AM   #8039
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

TIL Suzumiya Haruhi is one of the lower rated Kyoto Animation shows on MAL. Where the average even for garbage is usually an 8.0, Haruhi clocks in at an astonishing 7.87 with a mere 755,553 members.

For comparison, Kaguya has both a higher rating and more popularity than Haruhi. It's baffling, but I think zoomers actually hate Kyoto Animation, except when they're running fire control *cough* Violet Evergarden *cough*
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-17-2021, 07:54 PM   #8040
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I imagine season 2 has to have brought it down significantly with spiteful 1 star reviews from Endless 8 survivors? Even if they separate them out there's bound to be collateral damage.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:02 PM   #8041
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Indeed, S2 of Haruhi is one of the lowest rated KyoAni shows (7.23), but it's not the lowest...

That goes to Musaigen no Phantom World at a 6.88. Haruhi's average is a bit lower than Free!, but just by a hair's width.

Remarkably, Amagi Brilliant Park has a lower rating than Kyoukai no Kanata, that awfully amateurish light novel trash.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-26-2021, 01:45 AM   #8042
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Re:Zero S2, Part 2
Rating: 4/10

This season sucks. It's confusing, the art looks awful, the pacing is all messed up, it's just a total wreck and a massive step down from the first season. Some of the charm but none of the wit exist in this season, and combined with the horribad budget it's just a painful experience.

What happend to your faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-02-2021, 03:04 AM   #8043
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Show by Rock!!

I'm late to the party but this is cute and fun. I adore the music! Great isekai haha.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-04-2021, 05:02 AM   #8044
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So apparently Violet Evergarden is being remade as a show called Vivy, written by the Re:Zero guy.

And apparently it's way better than VEG with none of the obnoxious KyoAni direction.

Welp?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-04-2021, 05:58 AM   #8045
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Looks like we also got Stone Ocean coming in.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-07-2021, 07:41 PM   #8046
Loki

BORKED
6 Hour Review of 1994's Tokimeki Memorial

It's kind of surreal how in-depth he gets into describing the game and it's apparently importance to the world of gaming and how it potentially lead to the Metal Gear series, the Castlevania series, and also all the way to Cyberpunk 2077.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:33 AM   #8047
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I was all prepared to watch that until I heard the guy's voice.

He's the freaking mad science dude.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-09-2021, 12:46 AM   #8048
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I was reading the most recent Re:Zero WN chapter and there was some shade thrown towards the infamous ending of Shingeki no Kyojin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syosetu
What could be seen in the distance was a fortified city surrounded by high walls.

Subaru was surprised at the sight, which was quite different from what he had imagined when he heard that it was the nearest town, and he had two feelings: surprise at it being different from his expectations, and a sense of good luck.

Subaru: “The atmosphere of the city is quite grim… Are the titans coming?”

Kuna: “Titans? I heard that they almost died out a long time ago.”

Subaru: “Is that so? Then maybe the old man I know is the last of the titan race…”
SnK has become the town pinata, everyone and their grandma wants to give it a whack!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-26-2021, 02:28 PM   #8049
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Kimetsu no Yaiba: Mugen Train is rated R in the USA for some reason. Is that the only anime film to get such a rating in 30 years?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-14-2021, 11:55 AM   #8050
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The Shingeki no Kyojin ending was so bad it got a retcon in the final volume, but the retcon doesn't fix the biggest sins of the original ending and just makes everything worse.

This is literally - no joke - worse than the GOT ending fiasco. At least with GOT you could blame DnD for the decline of the writing. Here, it's all from the hand of Isayama himself.

What is with Japanese authors and an inability to write quality endings, anymore?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime