UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Development
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2021, 11:17 PM   #26
Lil'twick
Insanity

Send a message via Skype™ to Lil'twick
I agree that 10 for 10 is too low but refuse to have 50 for 50 or higher. It kind of defeats the purpose. I feel like 25 for 25 is probably the best compromise.

I fill my lungs with everything
You want someone that I can't be
You say it's insanity, but
I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Lil'twick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:52 AM   #27
Lil'twick
Insanity

Alright, with no discussion since my post up above, here is an official write up involving word counts from the mod team.

The word counts for adventures as a whole will be lowered. For adventures, it will be 150 words with a base claim of $150, with an additional $25 per 25 words capped at $500 per reply. For updates, it will be 200 words to claim 1 FC. All posts done un the month of May can be retroclaimed with these changes.

If there is no glaring issues in the community with this, these changes will go up in twenty four hours from this post.

This thread will still stay open to discuss adventure dialogue, zones as a whole, and anything else pertaining to adventures.

Once word count changes are finalized we will be posting a thread on Staff Rewards specifically.

I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Old 05-05-2021, 12:06 PM   #28
SpinyShell
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'twick View Post
The word counts for adventures as a whole will be lowered. For adventures, it will be 150 words with a base claim of $150, with an additional $25 per 25 words capped at $500 per reply.
So basically, if I'm doing my math right, you have to write 500 words in a reply to receive the maximum amount of money.

Edit: I'm okay with this.

Last edited by SpinyShell; 05-05-2021 at 12:39 PM.
SpinyShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:11 PM   #29
Sneaze
Mrow?

Correct. 150 for $150, 175 for $175, 200 for $200, up to 500 for $500.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:13 PM   #30
ShadowDRGN
Cascade Badge

Sounds good! I'm really glad we've talked out a compromise that will hopefully work. Can't wait to see how it feels when I get back into adventuring.
ShadowDRGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:17 PM   #31
blu3shift
Cascade Badge

Sounds fine to me. As I stated previously I'm just along for the ride when it comes to word counts so I'm good with anything.
blu3shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:36 PM   #32
grassyglide
Cascade Badge

Sounds good to me.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:50 PM   #33
Princess Ana
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Princess Ana
I think 25 for 25 is a good compromise. As much as I understand the concerns about fluff, 10 for 10 felt way too much micromanage for my tastes.

Good with the changes.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:49 PM   #34
Prof.Enigma
Enraptured by Enigmatics

Alright since the dust has settled a bit I'd like to bring this back up once again and try to hammer out some more details.
As far as I have read into most people seem to be fine with expanding upon items that can be gained throughout an adventure.

So I am fine and dandy with having more reward dispersions and would like to enact upon them soonish. Reward Dispersion will probably be tied to an up-and-coming discussion that will be brought out and posted soon.

In the Meantime, I do want to bring back up my thought and see how people feel about having it happen in zones.

Here's what I want to bring up and hopefully I am actually able to convey it a lot better, unlike last time.

I really am fully supportive of each person's actions all tying into and changing zones. Now. I don't want to force people to all like have some super tied together adventure but I would like to see stuff/actions that a previous person caused/had happened being present within zones.

An example of my train of thought here.

SpinyShell's adventure in the NFC has her currently watching two ghost types fighting over wreckage under the waves of the bay. A G-Corsola is fighting due to the coral reef effectively-being dead and destroyed long ago. Now Sil currently has spotted a potential sign of the coral reef coming back to life and attempting to grow once more.
blu3shift is also now in the same area investigating a suggested poaching operation going on. Now I have been thinking about mentioning the same spot that Sil found to potentially be growing in blu's adventure and his that actions could affect whether that reef could grow more or be wiped out once more.

I don't necessarily want to drag everyone's adventure together in some way but I would like to see different trainers' adventures having an impact and changing, over the course of several adventures, the subzones and potentially making their reasons to be a new subspace.

I feel that A zone and its already presented subzones are a great way to start and introduce a zone, but what would make it a better place and more interesting place to adventure in is if the Zone grows and changes with the Updatees/Updators weaving different stories. When I started out updating in the Aboreal Cradle I actually initially was going to do this with TKF, Kawaii, and Storm ( this was before I learned that it probably wouldn't go through and become official ) And honestly, I kinda want to make it so we can do that ( within reason with the Zone Creators, and Admins along with the ZUs ) where if the Updator has an idea about a storyline they can talk it out with the Admin/Creator or both and then also propose a gist of the story to their updatee too so they all can work together and make for an interesting subzone that has its own unique "founding story"

OK, I kinda went out on that a bit there but I do hope my point is there which is basically I want to make there be a chance for new places to explore in a zone with everyone chipping in to make it a cool place to expand upon. Along with remnants of other adventures being present such as craters or hard work etc.

FB Profile | Memakyu - Emakiss | Affinity Avenu | Come check out my Pokemon battling server!

Hey! You! Yeah, you! Do you like Pokémon RPGs? Want to go on an epic adventure with Pokémon of your own, catching new Pokémon as you go, trading Pokémon and items with helpful and friendly members of a wonderful community? If you said yes to any of that, or even just thought about saying yes to any of that, then join the Fizzy Bubbles RPG! The longest-running online Pokémon RPG known to man or Mankey!
Prof.Enigma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 04:55 PM   #35
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
I think cross-referencing to past adventures is fine, but I'd be hesitant to say that you should be able to refer to ongoing adventures unless they've moved well past the relevant point. You don't want to make a reference and then the other person accidentally blew it up in their next update.
Old 05-10-2021, 05:56 PM   #36
blu3shift
Cascade Badge

Seconding the above post, referencing something that just happened or will happen soon in another adventure could result in a lot of confusion and might steer users away from the decisions that they want to make. I personally think that referencing things that are more concrete, like major landmarks and past events, that appear in others' adventures are fair game though. I highly support it, too; it makes Fizzytopia feel like a living, breathing world that people can interact with instead of just a mere RP setting.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:49 PM   #37
Prof.Enigma
Enraptured by Enigmatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironthunder View Post
I think cross-referencing to past adventures is fine, but I'd be hesitant to say that you should be able to refer to ongoing adventures unless they've moved well past the relevant point. You don't want to make a reference and then the other person accidentally blew it up in their next update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3shift View Post
Seconding the above post, referencing something that just happened or will happen soon in another adventure could result in a lot of confusion and might steer users away from the decisions that they want to make. I personally think that referencing things that are more concrete, like major landmarks and past events, that appear in others' adventures are fair game though. I highly support it, too; it makes Fizzytopia feel like a living, breathing world that people can interact with instead of just a mere RP setting.
Definitely. That Kinda went without saying in my thought process, reference things that have been done and said that are reasonably " would be a lasting impact " thing. Long done and settled before the current persons adventure that's learning about said reference(s)

I am gunning for FB to be, as blu3shift elegantly put it, a living breathing world rather than an RP setting for a game. I'm coming to this with my DnD mindset. With my DnD sessions, player's actions have an outcome on the world as a whole and I cannot tell you how maddening and yet stimulating this is to have in DnD.

FB Profile | Memakyu - Emakiss | Affinity Avenu | Come check out my Pokemon battling server!

Hey! You! Yeah, you! Do you like Pokémon RPGs? Want to go on an epic adventure with Pokémon of your own, catching new Pokémon as you go, trading Pokémon and items with helpful and friendly members of a wonderful community? If you said yes to any of that, or even just thought about saying yes to any of that, then join the Fizzy Bubbles RPG! The longest-running online Pokémon RPG known to man or Mankey!
Prof.Enigma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:38 AM   #38
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof.Enigma View Post
Definitely. That Kinda went without saying in my thought process, reference things that have been done and said that are reasonably " would be a lasting impact " thing. Long done and settled before the current persons adventure that's learning about said reference(s)

I am gunning for FB to be, as blu3shift elegantly put it, a living breathing world rather than an RP setting for a game. I'm coming to this with my DnD mindset. With my DnD sessions, player's actions have an outcome on the world as a whole and I cannot tell you how maddening and yet stimulating this is to have in DnD.
I can understand that and frankly it's a good thing that the world is living and changing, I just felt that when we say "you can do this" we kinda need to idiot-proof it a little because with all due respect, you just know someone's going to make that mistake at some point otherwise. Probably a newer updater too, and we don't want that putting people off.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:12 PM   #39
Sneaze
Mrow?

We want to bring up the concept of changing the following items a bit to make them fit a bit better with adventuring. Here's the quick proposed changes.

Black Flute: Playing this aggravates nearby Pokemon, making it more likely to encounter wild Pokemon and increasing the difficulty of encounters in your adventure.

White Flute: Playing this pacifies nearby Pokemon, making it less likely to encounter wild Pokemon and decreasing the difficulty of encounters in your adventure.

We more or less want these to be an easy way to tell your updater to give you more/less of a challenge while allowing for some flexibility by the updator as to how that plays out.

Old 07-25-2021, 08:13 PM   #40
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

I can get on board with these effects, sure.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:30 PM   #41
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
So, I like the general idea, but I think there should be the option to choose which effect you get when using the flute. There are situations where a Black Flute being used to attract Pokemon would be useful, but you don't necessarily want to unlock challenge mode for it. While things like Honey and Sweet Scent do exist, those tend to work more like a one-and-done kind of thing whereas the Black Flute can linger. I can also see situations where one wouldn't want to scare away everything with Repel, but make the overall number of encounters less common, but don't necessarily want it to be easy (like a gauntlet kind of go). So both should have the options to choose either or both of that Flute's effects.

Also, using a Black Flute to increase the challenge should come with an increase to rewards as well. A White Flute used to make the adventure easier should not diminish rewards any, however
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:38 PM   #42
Lil'twick
Insanity

We legit have Honey for super cheap in the Dept. Store, as well as Lures that are going to be available soonish as well as from Cram. We wanted to give these items unique effects instead of them being glorified lures and repels. They are also optional, so we don't want people to use these just to get better rewards. If someone wants the challenge, or in a situation where they bit off more than they should choose, this is the use for these changes, not to just get more rewards. I feel that they should be separate from rewards, besides maybe level gain.

I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Old 07-25-2021, 08:54 PM   #43
blu3shift
Cascade Badge

I feel that this is a great way to make these distinct from the standard Honey and Repel, however the new purposes of these items are defeated when you can just ask your updater to make the adventure easier/harder.

I think that we can approach this from a different direction; for example, consider using them as items that you use during battles—the Black Flute would cause enemy Pokémon to hit harder or even call in allies ŕ la SOS Battles, and the White Flute would weaken them for the rest of the fight or cause some enemies to leave if you're fighting more than one.

That being said, I like Slash's idea of choosing the effects of the Flutes. Substantially increasing the difficulty just by playing a flute that "aggravates Pokémon" could end up creating some very awkward moments RP-wise, so having that option would probably be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:07 PM   #44
Slash
Silver LO

The lingering versus more immediate effect for Black Flute vs Honey, and the lowering the chance of wild encounters vs generally avoiding them altogether for White Flute vs Repel is a distinction, not just the Flutes being glorified Honey/Repel. If your created Lures muscle in on what Flutes are historically supposed to do, that's not on the Flutes, thats on the Lures.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:25 PM   #45
Sneaze
Mrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash View Post
So, I like the general idea, but I think there should be the option to choose which effect you get when using the flute.
Choose? It's one effect. It's just part and parcel with each other. Harder adventures will mean more battles and those battles will be more difficult. It's not like you can play the flute for a harder adventure and have the puzzle you're working on magically change for no reason, and the reverse is also true for easier adventures.

As for rewards, yeah, there should be some variance with harder ones, but by the same token they should have lesser rewards for easier ones, if only in the realm of levels, for the sake of balancing things out.

Old 07-25-2021, 09:37 PM   #46
Slash
Silver LO

Show me where someone has said anything about using a flute to change the difficulty of a puzzle they are doing. That's a strawman and you are above that, my friend.

And it's a reach to say it's one effect, when you've taken the canon effects of these items and added an additional effect on top of them. The contention is clearly not the idea of these additional effects being an option, it's solely that you would be making it impossible to uae the canon effects of these items without also getting the subsidiary effects that were added. The issue is making the additions mandatory to use the regular effects, and that's it. If you're not going to budge on that clear point, may as well scrap the Black and White Flute changes and make new items entirely for encounter challenge difficulty, in my opinion.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:57 PM   #47
Sneaze
Mrow?

Uh... No. We looked at the canon effects, which are basically swapped over the years because reasons and decided to codify them as their ORAS effects, with wording suited a bit more for RP and allowing for updator discretion and effecting trainer battles so updators don't have to uproot their plans entirely.

Old 07-25-2021, 09:58 PM   #48
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Uh, one thing: Shouldn't the base effects for wild Pokémon encounters be reversed, as according to Bulbagarden in-game Black Flute repels Pokémon and White Flute attracts Pokémon?

Am sorta with Slash in separating the outcomes/being able to choose between them, but moreover I feel like Flutes are simply situational tools that are really RP-dependent on how both the Updatee+Updator want to interpret the result. *shrug*

Edit- Ninja'd-ish by Sniz
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:17 PM   #49
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

So, my two cents is it probably shouldn't affect the adventure as a whole. Perhaps have White Flute calm hostile Pokemon and the Black Flute lure Pokemon in, but with a generally more aggressive reaction than say, Honey or the future Lures?
Old 08-23-2021, 06:39 PM   #50
Lil'twick
Insanity

Due to the numerous amount of items that increase/decrease encounter chance in the games, we have decided to go with the ORAS effects for the flutes. These are the most recent effects in the games for the flutes. We have decided to reword and clarify what we'd like for the flutes to do, and would appreciate community feedback.

Black Flute- Will make wild Pokemon in the area more aggressive, and envigorate opposing Pokemon during battle, creating more of a challenge. This effect will only last while in that subarea or until the end of the current/next battle.

White Flute- Will make wild Pokemon in the area more docile, and calm opposing Pokemon during battle, creating an easier fight. This effect will only last in that subarea or until the end of the current/next battle.

I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Development