UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 06-10-2020, 05:20 AM   #26
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
See, I thought the page that I drew was the bad part. It's not the bad part! That's just the beginning and it was honestly tame.

Kurosawa's rampage right after and what I anticipate is a confession to the classroom (23) is just so cringe because it's so unnecessary!

Whyyy??? @_@
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:14 PM   #27
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So far I feel I've predicted a lot of this manga...but I think I just got hit with the first real curveball.

Spoiler: show
Kurosawa x Suguha?!
I thought she was dating someone, is this for real?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-11-2020, 01:20 AM   #28
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Onani Master Kurosawa
RATING: 8/10 (Excellent)

This was a toughie. I've dreaded reading this manga for 10 years because I get secondhand social anxiety like rats get the plague. I knew the famous spoiler but I was otherwise uninterested in "Japanese The Catcher in the Rye".

That said, the toughest part wasn't the "spoiler", but Kurosawa's antics after that. It was very cringe because it's the complete opposite of how I'd react as an evil adult. That Kurosawa wasn't expelled and his life "cancelled" as what would happen in today's culture is still difficult to believe and accept the outcome.

The manga was largely predictable except the final ship at the end, which was subtle but quickly snowballed. I didn't see it coming.

I was also wrong about insisting this manga be set in high school. This is something I'd believed for a long time, but Kurosawa's redemption wouldn't have been possible without the junior high - high school jump. Going to college just doesn't have the same effect.

Now, onto the philosophy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onani Master Kurosawa
Middle school students are children.
For us, who were both recently just in middle school,
We realized that we had to draw a border separating ourselves from that time.
Mmhm. I've seen this before.

I may have even touched on it in my discussion of Haruhi above. But what Kurosawa is talking about is "the world of childhood" and "the world of adults". High school is the last stop before adulthood, sobering children up and breaking down many of their folklores and misconceptions.

Why does Haruhi strike a chord with people? Because Haruhi, a girl who has all the tools desired of an adult (intelligence, beauty, athleticism) is firmly stuck in chuuni mode, and is warping a stressful, stoic time that should be devoted to adulthood transition into middle school 2: electric bungaloo. It's a wish that people have to not want to become adults. Even if it was just last year, you want to reconnect with that childhood optimism and wonder. Some adults spend their entire adult lives trying to relieve childhood. We call that "nostalgia".

In my own personal experience, I have always matured slower than my peers. That is, my elementary school was preschool, my junior high was elementary school, and so on. So I've always come across as something of a chuuni, and that isolated me to a certain extent, since outside of the internet I was never able to connect with my "mental peers".

Thus, I can't fully relate to this manga. I didn't struggle to find adult identity with my peers in high school...and for that reason I can't give this manga full marks. It doesn't resonate with me in the way I'm sure it does for others.

That said, how about that final ship! That's some kind of NTR hentai plot twist ain't it all?!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-11-2020, 01:30 PM   #29
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

To me, the biggest spoiler of the story is this:

Spoiler: show

For such a gross premise, OMK is a surprisingly "pure" tale about atonement and forgiveness as much as it is "growing up". This was very much a Moeko's Owl moment for Kurosawa that shows how such simple acts have the power to melt away the bitterness in one's heart. Perhaps more than that, it's a lesson in not judging others too hastily, which the ending couple serves as an example as well. I don't really relate to the romance or "chuuni" aspects (rather, I think it's stretch to call that a central theme), but this is something that strongly strikes a chord with me.

One could say Kurosawa's journey is kinda cheesy and idealized; it's an optimistic precursor to today's Bojack Horseman. But that's the advantage of youth, where people can more easily change their ways of thinking because they are still children developing morals and opinions. So it makes sense to set a classic redemption arc during those most transformative years in junior high IMO. As adults, it becomes a lot tougher to both practice goodness and see it in others as cynicism takes hold, but as they say: "It's never too late."
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 01:49 AM   #30
samui
Pokemon Trainer

its not my anime genre
samui is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime