UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 11-11-2021, 12:09 PM   #8076
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Neo Piece doesn't get off to a bad start, just a meh one. But after repeated mehs and one bad, you realize it isn't the same series anymore. Kind of like Gurren-Lagann's first and second halfs. The tone is different, it gets repetitive, and there's a lot of stupid.

Why it's immediately noticeable is the arc immediately proceeding it was breathtaking. Following a great gale with a wet fart, you'll see, hear, and possibly smell a difference.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 12:42 AM   #8077
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Mega Dunsparce

I finished Shin No Nakama and it fixed some problems I had with the story and setting, but kind of showed that there was no budget and is kind of a lazy anime.

They early on introduced a random lottery every being has called the Blessing. Everyone gets one at birth and it influences your life. The main character's was The Guide, which allowed him to have a strong start and help friends with their blessings, but eventually lags behind as he can't become a master of any of his skills. His sister had The Hero blessing, which gave her the power to stop the Demon Lord, but this comes at the cost of her humanity as her humanity could stop her from her task. Thus she leaves her brother behind despite wanting to find him. We're later introduced to a boy who has the Bar Brawler blessing which drives him into fits of anger and lets him use improvised weapons with skill, like rocks, broken bottles, or bar stools.

While this works in a video game setting, Rance uses a similar one, it's not the best system for most stories as it feels like it takes away free will. Characters can't choose their job in life because they're influenced by the blessing and this could turn a kind boy into an angry drunk... AND THEY ADDRESS THIS! This becomes a rather large plot point as someone starts to peddle a drug that changes people's Blessing, but can make it worse.

Eventually, the Hero Ruti is introduced to this and she decides to take the drug so she can stop being the Hero and regain her humanity, then find her beloved brother. And it's kinda neat. But this obviously has consequences. The Hero's party wants her to continue her quest to drop the Demon Lord since this could end up sparing millions of lives from the demon army. Ruti finds her brother randomly, but their former party members attack them and try to get Ruti to becomes the Hero again and there's a bunch of fights...

And they look like shit. Earlier in the series we mostly see very short fights. I thought they were short to show that Red was a bit overleveled for the boonies he was living in. But later we see Rit basically do most of her fights as a jump kick into someone and it's pretty much a still frame of her foot in the person's torso with action lines around. Near the end we start seeing higher level fights, but they all look bad.

Red helps his sister lose her Hero blessing. He confesses to his live in girlfriend Rit. The other party members either die or accept Ruti's choice. I guess they're eventually dooming people to the Demon Lord, but God gave them free will I guess so whatever. *shrugs*

TLDR: Terrible animation, kinda messy overall.

Now the real show I've been watching this season has been Eighty Six and I have to say.... WHY THE FUCK ARE THE FINAL TWO EPISODES IN MARCH????!!!!!????

It has been a wonderfully animated war drama with great action, characters, setting, and plot. But in both seasons of the show, they kept delaying. Season 1 had only 11 episodes as opposed to the usual 12 or 13 most shows had. And now Season 2 had 10 episodes, two spot fills with the staff discussing the show, but clearly they were filling time because the episodes weren't done.

I'm so conflicted by this overall because we have this horrible worldwide pandemic that continues to dominate our lives and make schedules fall apart, but at the same time, having to wait three months to catch the ending of a show is awful. Like there was clearly a failure to properly schedule their work. And I also understand that the show could potentially not have had pushed itself back to later date because the station will need something to fill it and the latter season may have no available slots for a whole cour.

TLDR: Great show ruined by terrible scheduling.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 06:07 AM   #8078
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Why didn't Ruti kill the Demon King first before deciding to get her blessing changed? Seems pretty reckless and irresponsible and also out-of-character if the blessing really influences the brain as you suggest.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-31-2021, 06:32 PM   #8079
Loki

It's kind of like Ainz's emotional suppression, though there's no indication. She still has free will, but then she will change her mind back to the mission at hand. For example, when the Mage of the party expelled her brother from the party, she got mad and punched his whole right side off his body. Then she stopped and healed/revived him because of her heroic blessing. Deep down she disliked him and wanted to find her brother, but the hero blessing kept telling her to move forward with finding a way to kill the Demon King. When she learned of the drug, she immediately takes it and her blessing is suppressed enough to not stop her.

I also think it's rather foolish to basically allow the world to basically fall to the Demon King. They showed clear examples of the Hero saving nations from the Demon Army. But there's a lot of dumb stuff. They say something like, "Without the hero blessing, this allows someone else who wants to be the hero to becomes one rather than force someone who doesn't want to do it."

The system in general isn't fully explained beyond you're born with it and it influences your life choices, but people also have free will. We don't know the geography of the world and how the borders are done. We don't know the current activities of the Demon King and his armies as everything we have seen is in flashbacks. We don't even know the relation of the locations of those flashbacks compared to where the main character resides. We just know it's apparently on the frontier... but far from the frontlines.

I don't know if it came through in my previous post, I generally don't recommend it. The interesting factor of changing your blessing kind of messes with the overall world system and it's not fleshed out enough to know what is happening or will happen with everyone. People say that a world without a hero will lead to millions of humans dying fighting the Demon King, but we so rarely see the Demon Army we don't really get a feel for it. It feels very disconnected and we're only given the viewpoint of people who aren't affected by the war.

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha is a better story that runs off the Dragon Quest trope of Hero and Demon King with a very fleshed out world setting including world politics, world economics, religion, and humanity's relationship with the Demon Realm. While the anime is a tad dull at times, Shin No Nakama is really dull most of the time including it's horrible action scenes.
Old 01-11-2022, 03:15 PM   #8080
Loki

Mega Dunsparce

BORKED

Sabikui Bisco has a rather seasoned staff for such a new studio. The director did animation directing for FSN UBW and FSN Zero S1 and S2, the script is written buy the guy who wrote Cowboy Bebop and Durarara!!

Aside from that, this trailer is bonkers. And episode 1 was fairly tame lol. I looks like it will pick up, but episode 1 was all setup.

This will probably be the anime I try to keep update to date with. So much other stuff is trashy this season. Crap like World's End Harem, genderbent nohomo isekai, and two VRMMORPG isekais are all going into the Trash bin.

The BL anime this season looks like a wholesome Yuri anime though. Doubt I will watch, but Sasaki to Miyano might be worth someone's time.
Old 01-11-2022, 07:50 PM   #8081
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
genderbent nohomo isekai
I think this is Fabiniku. It's actually pretty cute and funny, and it's written-drawn by a husband-wife team.

That said I pretty much agree with you that there's a lot of trash. The sad part is that the anime have poor budgets so even if the source material is decent, it looks awful.

The trailer you posted...I don't agree it's bonkers. I saw the budget limitations in places and the bizarre events happening isn't enough to get me on board. But if it's good do tell me about it, lotso slim pickens these days.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime