UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 11-18-2015, 02:08 AM   #326
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Get:
Fire Emblem - Black Kingdom (whatever its called, Conquest?)
No shame in playing Phoenix Mode.

Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon
Time to get stoned.

Spoiler: show

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 03:49 PM   #327
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Catch up!

Get!
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker

Beat!
Mega Man
- 43 minutes, 40 seconds
Mega Man 2
- 55 minutes, 30 seconds
Mega Man 3
- 1 hour, 03 minutes
Mega Man 4
- 1 hour, 11 minutes, 39 seconds
Mega Man: The Power Battle
- 11 minutes, 18 seconds
Mega Man 5
- 1 hour, 19 minutes
Mega Man 6
- 1 hour, 13 minutes, 36 seconds
Mega Man 7
- 1 hour, 52 minutes, 55 seconds
Mega Man 8
- 3 hours, 32 minutes, 08 seconds
Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters
- 17 minutes, 39 seconds
Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity: Episode 1
- 10 hours, 40 minutes, 47 seconds
.hack//G.U. Vol.1: Rebirth
- 12 hours, 19 minutes, 07 seconds
Final Fantasy VII
- 53 hours, 42 minutes, 05 seconds
Streets of Rage
- 56 minutes, 22 seconds
Balloon Fight
- 20 minutes, 45 seconds
Streets of Rage II
- 38 minutes, 14 seconds
.hack//Link
- 69 hours, 05 minutes, 23 seconds
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
- 8 hours, 06 minutes, 59 seconds
Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 & 2 Plus: Episode 1
- 1 hour, 17 minutes, 27 seconds
Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 & 2 Plus: Episode 2
- 1 hour, 34 minutes, 58 seconds
.hack//G.U. Vol.2: Reminisce
- 17 hours, 19 minutes, 03 seconds
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
- 21 hours, 29 minutes, 47 seconds
.hack//G.U. Vol.3: Redemption
- 20 hours, 56 minutes, 20 seconds
Streets of Rage 3
- 57 minutes, 08 seconds
Mega Man X
- 1 hour, 35 minutes, 27 seconds
Super Smash Bros. Melee
- 08 minutes, 17 seconds
Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution
- 08 minutes, 47 seconds
Virtua Fighter 10th Anniversary
- 05 minutes, 45 seconds
Virtua Fighter 5
- 10 minutes
Drill Dozer
- 3 hours, 44 minutes, 13 seconds
Super Mario 3D Land
- 2 hours, 25 minutes, 12 seconds
Sweet Fuse: At Your Side
- 7 hours, 33 minutes, 16 seconds
Wario Ware: Twisted!
- 1 hours, 18 minutes, 29 seconds
Fire Emblem: Awakening
- 16 hours, 06 minutes, 02 seconds
Super Mario Sunshine
- 6 hours, 29 minutes, 14 seconds
Mega Man Powered Up
- 1 hour, 10 minutes, 07 seconds

Total Playtime: 354:29:11
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:00 PM   #328
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Get:

Darksiders (~£3.50)
Dragon Age Inquisition (~£11.50)
Ori and the Blind Forest (~£9)
Shadowrun: Dragonfall (~£2)
Spec Ops: The Line (~£3.50)
The Stanley Parable (~£2)
Transistor (~£4)
XCOM (~£4)

Plus DLC for Dishonored and Deus Ex Human Revolution. Woo for Steam sale! It took so much self restraint to avoid adding like four other things/£30 extra to that list, but that ~£45 is already probably more than I can justify right now!

Last edited by Concept; 11-25-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 06:47 AM   #329
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
The ones in there I've played all have been absolutely amazing. Special shoutouts to Transistor and Ori.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:22 PM   #330
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria I AM EXPERIENCING THE HONEY NUT FEELIOS

Just beat the main story for Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy and I am SUPER SAD

Then I went on youtube to watch the Unwound Future ending and now I'm BAWLING

I really hope there are future Layton games because hot dang it really is one of my top favorite series of all time

Hi, I'm Daisy!

W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:43 PM   #331
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyInari View Post
Just beat the main story for Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy and I am SUPER SAD

Then I went on youtube to watch the Unwound Future ending and now I'm BAWLING

I really hope there are future Layton games because hot dang it really is one of my top favorite series of all time
Still haven't played the prequels, but I adore the franchise and yes indeed Unwound Future is a roller coaster of emotion.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:54 PM   #332
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

Send a message via Skype™ to Deebs
>buy a PS4 and shell out for rush shipping on it
>arrives day later than it was supposed to
>finally receive it, throw everything together to play for the first time
>regional internet outage

Are you fucking kidding me right now
Old 11-30-2015, 10:04 PM   #333
Heather
Naga's Voice

Oh whoops I need to update some stuff!

I believe I already mentioned that I got Etrian Oddysey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight, but having now cleared the story, thoughts!
Spoilers ahead, ye hath been warned.
Okay, first off, gameplay as a whole. It was above average overall. I loved mapmaking, but it did have its frustrating parts. The first of these was Ginnungagap. That place used THE ENTIRE SPACE for the first two floors, and all the others used are only visited briefly for story reasons, and getting where you needed to go was simple enough that you didn't need to map out the whole place. Floor Jump wasn't worth it either, due to aforementioned lack of use. So the mapmaking is most important on the first two floors, and it is ungodly exhaustive if you don't have all the auto features turned on. The second is the Third Stratum. Winter Wonderland sounds nice until you realize you can't tell where the walls or paths are, and you put on auto settings. Then you get into the fourth stratum only to realize the sky tiles don't tell the auto features to place a wall (because there technically isn't one there) but the use of said tiles is so sparse that you may as well draw them yourself, which is a bit frustrating.
Other aspects now-the story mode party. Pretty decent, but one runs Ito problems late game as regards lines. Flavio is always back line, but basically everyone else should be front. The avatar will usually be there (and why wouldn't you have him there). But that leaves two front line spaces and three characters who are nerfed in the back. Two are support, yes, but at the late game their skills are quite long lasting and they can afford to attack for quite a bit of time-so it's frustrating to have them nerfed.
Another small bit is that if you're an idiot like me and don't do any of the side things (advertise the restaurant and develop the town, do quests from the bar, what have you), you will soon find yourself unable to afford the new gear the shop offers. Of course, you can still get by this way in Picnic difficulty (especially if you manage to bring down the Salamander and work up the cash to get Lavaetinn, as I did), but on any harder difficulty, you gotta do your chores to keep up.
Story: The story is wonderful. It starts out pretty simply, and sometimes you may thing you're getting an excessive run-around, but it all ties together in the end, and there are some interesting twists. Towards the endgame, too, there's chances for character development between the player and the rest of the party, which is nice. The final boss monster is a hell of a fight. Very few fights made me use Force Breaks, and usually those were only on the part of the player character (because it's so overpowered). The final boss had me make the entire party do it, as well as stretch the player character's Force abilities to their highest limits, and yet even then there was a little bit left to clean up. While you end up having to fight a second round of it solo, you're made so obnoxiously overpowered that it's an interactive cutscene. You even regain your Force Break and are prompted when to use it. Of course, it's still an epic world-saving smack down, so no complaints!

Graphics: The world is so beautifully crafted, in my honest opinion. The first four Statums actually represent the seasons, and the Heavenly keep is fantastic. I've yet to see the Sixth and final Stratum (past the small taste you get after clearing the story), as that involves several quests I have yet to do, but from what I have seen, it's an Eden-esque theme, all beautifully rendered.

Overall: 9/10

Most of my frustrations were related to my ineptitude at Atlus games, but at least you could still get by and focus on enjoying the story. I'm in the midst of a Classic mode run now. My thoughts on the adventures of Dex (my Classic party leader) and company later.

I mentioned getting this, I know, but now:

Beat: Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy

Spoilers ahead!
Well, this was an exciting adventure, through and through, from puzzle 001 to several funny moments to that time I spent days in the Bostonius before heading to the Nest because I took on four pages of missed puzzles from Keats with no hint coins to HOLY SERIES OF PLOT TWISTS BATMAN to finish. I'm cleaning up the sub games now. I finished every puzzle (Includibg Epic Quest 2, sweet JESUS-at least that's worth a staggering 70 Piccarats, the only puzzle in the game worth that much, and is only submitted when completed, so you can't get it wrong and lose any of those 70), so I have completed every Dress Up request. Incidentally, getting every item makes the requests get easier as it goes on despite the increasingly specific requests, as perfecting previous outfits gives you less things to guess from, as the eight perfect outfits never overlap. Once you've perfected seven, the eighth is simply "what's left?" A very nice Sequel Hook at the end, too.

Overall: 9.5/10

Would have made 10, but SWEET JESUS, Epic Quest 2. That should never be repeated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:51 AM   #334
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Get/Beat:

Witcher 3
This was on sale for $25, so I figured "What the hell?". People are losing their shit about this game, so I figured I'd give it a shot. For the most part, it's pretty enjoyable. The game sets up some cliche flags at you only to surprise you. It's not always blindly obvious what choices lead to what consequence. The combat is also kind of fun, even if it reminds me a little of Batman. Sadly the game isn't THAT good. There's little replay value. Sure you can go make different decisions and choose different skill trees, but they hardly make any difference in how you'll play the game. Your character is the same Mr. Old Balls with the same combat style. Sure there's tweaks here and there, but that's about it. Also the game drags on way too freaking much. I'm not saying it's "too long". I'm saying the game tries too often to throw needless fluff in your quests. A trip to look for someone with a clue to something you are doing turns into a 10 hour long series of quests. You go to meet this person, but he is missing, so you go to the last few people who saw him, they tell you that in order to get information out of them, you must do them a favor and kill a monster for them, but the area the monster is in is locked behind a gate, and in order to get the key, you have to do the gatekeeper a favor and gather some eggs, but chickens have been extinct for millions of years, so you'll have to traverse some ancient chicken ruins to find the eggs, but to revive the fossilized eggs, you have to have the blood of a virgin. Most of the main quest is like that. I also don't like being Mr. Old Balls. Mr. Old Balls hitting on all those young girls. Atleast the Wendy's Girl is an option. She can make him burgers every day!

Get:

Grand Theft Auto V
I wasn't crazy about IV, but it was on special, and this game fixes my main issue with IV. THIS GAME HAS FREAKING MISSION CHECKPOINTS! What a relief.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:29 AM   #335
Link
Banned

I have played dragon quest VI and pokemon alpha sapphire. I have heard nothing but good things about either and have over 300 hours on both. 700 for the pokemon one.
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 05:40 PM   #336
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Get!
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
Traditional turn-based rpg on a console? Sounded good ta me! This is the only game I've bought in 2015, and the only game released in 2015 which I'll have played!

Atelier Rorona Plus -The Alchemist of Arland-
One of my presents today! Finally I'll get to the beginning of the Arland saga!

.hack//Mutation - Demo Disc
.hack//Outbreak - Demo Disc
Also presents! No idea how the person who gave 'em to me got 'em. Cause I pre-ordered both games way back when an never got the demos even though you were supposed ta.

Beat!
Guilty Gear X2
- 13 minutes, 25 seconds
Old 12-25-2015, 07:28 PM   #337
Heather
Naga's Voice

Get: Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, Kirby Rainbow Curse

Haven't yet gotten to playing the latter, but will post initial thoughts on the former in the appropriate thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:47 PM   #338
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

Get: Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Have played a bit of the former, and will post my thoughts in its thread. Haven't gotten to playing Wind Waker yet.
Kuvario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 05:25 PM   #339
Red Panda
head head bitch

Get: Rise of the Tomb Raider

No experience with this series of games but it was 40 dollars off at Gamestop and I couldn't resist. Having played a little it is very fun even if I have admittedly died more than I should have.
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 06:21 PM   #340
MarbleZone
Soul Badge

A portable version of Binding of Isaac (3DS) is easily the best purchase I've made all year.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:39 PM   #341
Link
Banned

I just purchased 2 items at my local GameStop and got a black pre-owned New Nintendo 3DS XL, the 3DS version of One Piece Romance Dawn, and they each look amazing as far as portable electronic games/products are made.
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:58 AM   #342
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Get:

Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight 2
Shadow Warrior
Invisible Inc
Satellite Reign

Beat:

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Played through on Normal with Ironman enabled. First attempt ended in failure because I didn't get satellites so I just lost a bunch of countries from the council. Second attempt I managed to finish the game, only losing 3 soldiers I actually cared about (one of whom fell in the final mission). This game is super addictive! Final bosd was pretty underwhelming though, double tap + squadsight + headshot meant my sniper finished him off before anyone else got a turn.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:24 PM   #343
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Beat!
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core
- 17 minutes, 57 seconds

Total Playtime for the 52 games I beat last year was 360:12:25! Thats a 200 hour drop vs. 2014's 52 games! Shortcut taking ftw! What'll this year hold in store?!
Old 01-02-2016, 02:45 AM   #344
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Playing: Fallout 4 (70 hours)

And I'm not even halfway through the main questline, but I'm already kitted out in max tier X-01 power armor because if you're going to roam the wasteland you may as well be pimping. Anyway, this is a Bethesda open world game so you probably already know where you stand in terms of worlds with a lot of breadth and sometimes obsessive detail coupled with systems that completely shit the bed the moment you push against them even slightly. Instead, I would like to talk about the clusterfuck that is the Settlement system.

So, for those of you out of the loop the big "thing" in this Fallout is being able to build up certain areas as new towns (unsurprisingly, one of the main factions is focused around this), attracting settlers and providing them all the necessities of life (food, booze, more booze) to make them happy and productive. Of course, since this is also a game where "rape and pillage" is considered a fun pastime for many of the factions in the world, you will need to ensure that your burgeoning empire is protected by guard posts and turrets as well. Nothing too earth shattering here, and it's a natural progression of some of the similar things they were doing in one of the Skyrim DLCs.

But holy shit is the implementation a clusterfuck. I know that every Bethesda game operates on the principle of "modders will fix our fuckups", but I'd rather not have to dig through all the "Clean Anime Catgirl" mods on Fallout Nexus to make building my settlements something other than irritating tedium. Shall we go through the list?
  • There's no "god view" when building a settlement: you're always in first-person ala Minecraft. Unfortunately things don't come in standardized cube sizes, so you spend a lot of time fucking around trying to find the magic pixel where the game will deign to let you build a toilet. Fences in particular are awful with this: when I was building up one of my first settlements I thought a fence surrounding the town was both logical for a world where super mutants exist and would allow me to concentrate defenses rather than trying to have turrets covering Hell's half-acre. An hour later I was only halfway done and wondering where my life had gone so wrong.

And this is to build a goddamn fence. Even stuff that you would think would be a slam dunk like the "build your own building" floor/wall/ceiling templates have weird issues with snap-to detection, either snapping in an orientation you don't want (e.g. going straight when you want it to go right) or refusing to recognize anchor points at all. What should be a fun exercise in expressing the various ways you can create statues of dongs becomes an exercise in tedium.

• The game is lousy with providing information on what things do or how they work. Did you know that money generated by your town's stores shows up in your workbench hidden under a bunch of other crap and that you probably would never find it if someone hadn't explicitly told you? What the fuck does a brahmin in your settlement even do besides wind up on the third floor of a random house?

• Settlement management is fiddly in the wrong ways. Settlers will automatically assign themselves to harvest food, so at least that's not an issue. However, for specialty jobs you need to do the assignments yourself. No big deal, except the game gives you no way to easily determine how many settlers are assigned (or not) at a particular settlement, requiring you to schlep over to every single town and check yourself. Once there, you have to check each settler manually, and while the game at least has the decency to highlight anything the settler is assigned to this quickly falls apart if you're in a large settlement where not everything is within view (like, say, the very first settlement you receive). Playing musical chairs where you assign a settler to a job only to find out that that settler was harvesting food so you need to assign another settler who you realize was running the scavenging bench only to assign another settler who was ALSO harvesting food is not uncommon.

Oh, and you get to manage every settler's weapons, ammo and armor separately, in a game where each settlement can have 10+ settlers at minimum and potentially 20 or more if you build right. And there are 30 potential settlements in the game. I have a feeling that someone on the Fallout 4 team has a side interest in psychiatry and is trying to develop a screening method for autism.

• Weird choices in abstraction. There is a talent that lets you create supply lines between settlements to share building/crafting materials with anything on the network, probably because someone at Bethesda had a sudden outbreak of common sense and realized that finding out you're short of X thing and then having to go through 3-10 loading screens while you try to hunt down X thing in all your other settlements isn't very fun. However, this doesn't extend to anything you actually care about (read: guns, armor): if you store @SWEET_GUN at Sanctuary Hills, you can only retrieve it at Sanctuary Hills even if you have a supply line running unbroken to the other side of the wasteland.

I recognize that this sounds kind of petty, but it helps to remember that these games quickly become hoarding simulators where you keep 5 Fat Man launchers "just in case", and you want to have all that junk in one place so it's (relatively) easy to find when you do want it. Because of this, you'll probably only want to store your unused gear in one or (maybe) two places, which results in fast-traveling from the other side of the map even when you have several other settlements nearby. In turn, these one or two settlements/hoards become the only ones you actually care about, which makes all the other settlements and spreading civilization across the wasteland ultimately feel more hollow than it should be.

• Settlements go full retard when attacked. While rare if you build enough defenses, if you see that "Defend @SETTLEMENT_NAME" objective suddenly pop up in your quest log you better drop whatever you're doing and go over there right the fuck now or else everyone will be dead and all your shit will be broken. Even if you had more missile turrets in that settlement than actual people.

An illustrative example: I received a warning that one of my settlements was under attack, a settlement that I had built with only one entrance covered by several high-level turrets which would ensure that most attackers would be turned into chunky salsa long before reaching the gates. Since this particular settlement is also important game-and-story-wise, I had also taken the effort of stacking the video game cans and given everyone in the settlement some decent guns to pick off anything that managed to find its way through more missiles than a MvC3 Dr. Doom assist. In this case the warning was from an enemy infiltrator who my settlers had promptly shot dead just as I loaded in. The game gave me no credit for "completing" the defense objective, even though nothing else attacked after waiting multiple in-game days and all the settlers were using their "thanks for helping us defend" emotes.

As soon as I fast travel away, however, I fail and everyone proceeds to shoot themselves in the head. I'm currently looking through the wiki for the console commands that will allow me to set the objective as complete so that I can continue playing the game without having to rebuild the entire settlement from scratch. I understand the idea of making people feel the pressure of trying to maintain bulwarks of civilization against a brutal, savage world born of mankind's own shortsighted hubris, but if you've built your defenses well your presence is a formality and if not...well if you're relatively high level in a Bethesda open world game your presence is still basically a formality against whatever cannon fodder the game throws at you. Inadvertently seeing behind the curtain and finding out how hamhandedly it's handled still left a sour taste in my mouth, though.

TL;DR

Mechanic in Bethesda game half-assed, news at 11

EDIT:

NOTHING AT ALL

Last edited by Blastoise; 01-02-2016 at 03:04 AM.
Blastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:57 PM   #345
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Beat!
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
- 67 hours, 43 minutes, 11 seconds
Really didn't know much going into this other then it being a traditional turn-based rpg but I came outta it pretty hooked! I may have disliked the start but the fun and simple battle system kept me goin' all the way! An what a long way it was. Only rpg I've played which took longer was DQVIII. The school setting didn't suck which got helped by the fact that ya weren't in it all that much. Battlings fast & fun an is helped by being able ta skip almost all animations. An while not as deep I liked the materia-esque system they had going for magic an stat boosts. Lotsa good characters, story, an wowzers final battles! I'm so in for the sequel!
Old 01-06-2016, 03:08 AM   #346
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Now go and play Trails in the Sky!
Old 01-06-2016, 09:07 PM   #347
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaGod View Post
Now go and play Trails in the Sky!
I did like 4 years ago when I was given it for my OLD day! Dun remember much of it however o.o; Were it on a console instead of a handheld I'd have likely replayed it in preparation but I just couldn't muster up the time or care ta do so. I dun feel like I missed anything in CS by not having the first game fresh in mind.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:28 AM   #348
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Beat:

Grand Theft Auto V
This game was a pleasant surprise. I thought it was a pretty large improvement over GTA 4. There's a sense of ownership and progress, since you can do more with your money than buy guns and armor. You can keep cars as well. Though admittedly I would like to change the characters' default vehicles. As for how I think this compares to Saint's Row, I'm not sure. It doesn't have the stupid awesome fun I loved in SR, but GTA V was actually pretty satisfying. Also this is the only game where I died from trying to walk up a freaking cliff. My character tripped and broke his neck tumbling down. Inspired me to look for more stupid ways to die in this game.

Get:

Stella Glow
I originally didn't plan on touching this, since it seemed like your run-of-the-mill JRPG. I'm still not fully convinced that I was wrong either, but everyone who reviewed it, even people who didn't like it, was going on about how obvious it was that there was alot of heart put into it. If there's any heart into it, it's probably the gameplay. It seems like the creators want to make it difficult to power your way through maps like you could in FF Tactics. I actually like how combat often plays out. Everything else seems like it'll be a generic harem in the form of a 3DS game. I did get lucky with my purchase though. There was only one copy left, and it was one some guy who didn't want the game anymore reserved. So I got a preorder edition with those bells and whistles.

Tried playing:

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
All I remember about this is the twitching effect on beast girl's ears. I tried replaying it, but I couldn't do it for long. It's just so slow and boring. The dialogue is painful to go through as well. So much pointing out the obvious.

Tales of Zestiria
I couldn't play this for long. Something about this just felt so bad. Combat is just you spamming the O button and maybe blocking. After a while, I just thought "I don't want to play this any more!".
Old 01-13-2016, 10:26 PM   #349
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Beat!
Atelier Rorona Plus ~The Alchemist of Arland~
- 18 hours, 39 minutes, 27 seconds
Building on my experience of having played Totori and Meruru, I jumped right into Rorona and got the Bad ending x.x! Things had been going smoothly so honestly I was shocked an disappointed. Scraping by an accomplishing the bare minimum (but quite a few times above that) wasn't enough it seems. I never found out why Rorona is a fan favorite, she's not really a great character and I didn't care for her plight of saving a shop that was forced upon her. Supporting cast/party members weren't exactly standing out either. Had alot of fun playing at least!

Atelier Totori ~The Adventurer of Arland
- 11 hours, 27 minutes, 12 seconds
Going from the Bad ending of Rorona to the intro of this game is silly cause instead of a failure she was a savior lol. I used a guide this time and followed it as closely as I could but RNG screwed me over an I kept falling further an further behind the goals. When it became apparent I was boned, I tried for a character ending since I had met all the requirements for it and yet... the needed scenes weren't triggering an so I ended getting depressed and up sleeping my way to another Bad ending -_-;

Atelier Meruru ~The Apprentice of Arland
- 1 hour, 12 minutes, 49 seconds
Kinda a downward slope with this series characters status huh? Alchemists > Adventurers > Apprentices in terms of status. Anyways while I intended to give this game a fair replay depression over the previous failures had me down so instead I purposefully got the baddest end of them all! Which was kinda cheered me up in the end!

Fate/Extra
- 22 hours, 56 minutes, 0 seconds
Been meaning ta replay this sooner not nearly 4 years after my first time but eh, at least I got around to it! I went with Archer this time and things went super smoothly! NG+ rocks since it carries over equipment, money, an most importantly all that enemy data I grinded for the first time through! All normal battles became super trivial which let me speed through the game! I had forgotten much of the story and Archers stuff was new to me so it was a pretty fresh experience once again!

Last edited by Lindz; 01-18-2016 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:40 AM   #350
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Beat:

Stella Glow
I was right. This is a pretty shallow game. Despite that, I was still kind of addicted to it. Actually it's kind of similar to Kamidori Alchemy Meister. Though this game is less stupid and more cliche. Stella Glow has one rule, and that is (not really a spoiler, but people are sensitive)
cute girls can never be evil.
Just remember that and you'll have the whole game figured out. I do like the song system. You have to build a song gauge in order for the "bards" to bestow powerful effects on the party. Some songs require the character to stop moving for several turns to sing. The songs themselves are pretty nice.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games