Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 07-17-2022, 05:05 PM   #51
AK2
Boulder Badge

Send a message via AIM to AK2 Send a message via Skype™ to AK2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I liked both battles. Very sad though.
Im genuinely happy that you and many other people enjoyed them. I hate bring the grumpy guy in the room. I hope I feel differently moving forward :/
AK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 01:40 AM   #52
AK2
Boulder Badge

SPOILERS: I be ahead of the curve :P

Two trending things on the internet right now in regard to the show:
1. People grew angry yesterday, the 20th, when it was revealed that on the 29th the first of what seems to be a two parter filler episode with Chloe and Eevee will be airing during the tournament.

A. I made a video complaining about part two (part one had not been announced and it looked like there would be a gap after Ash vs Stephen and then a standalone Koharu/Eevee episode) TWO weeks ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FteX...BrianFrancisco

B. I find the news to be welcoming, as this finality for the Eevee story shouldn't be rushed into one episode, and the first part will air in a week that was going to be accounted for already as a missed, gap, week, as opposed to airing a week after the second part, which had been announced first. So, no more -additional- time being taken away from the League

2. The internet is speculating that Ash will lose to Leon due to comments from one of the music producers for the show who refers to a song on the show's soundtrack which is called "Weakness" and quote: "It's a song that shows Ash's feelings that he can't even reach the top of the championship."

A. Japanese is a VERY different language from English. There was confusion a month ago about the Ash vs Stephen battle implying that Ash may lose until better translations were made available. This song could simply be about Ash having been roughed up by Cynthia and Stephen and really having to claw his way through his battle with Leon. It will likely play during their battle.

B. Perhaps this -is- a leaked confirmation that Ash will lose to Leon. I was ahead of the curve and thought of the same idea before this rumor began, one day before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp7n...BrianFrancisco

3. And, here as my video showing my victory lap lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qGX...BrianFrancisco

Last edited by AK2; 07-22-2022 at 07:23 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-22-2022, 08:57 AM   #53
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 07:47 PM   #54
AK2
Boulder Badge

Ash vs Steven Stone

I made a rather lengthy video this week which recaps all of this and will be posted later, but here we go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJts...BrianFrancisco

I -actually- enjoyed this week's episode, particularly the battle!

What I have wanted from a tournament with the 8 strongest trainers was lacking in the first three battles (with each gradually growing better) due to them feeling rushed, lack of dodging, Pokemon never being called back. This battle addressed and fixed all of these problems!

Now, if these standards have been met, what did this battle look like?

I encourage people to watch the actual episode (and my video) instead of looking to a web post for a blow by blow account. However, some highlights:

Dracovish was able to weaken Stephen's ace, Metagross with it's attribute Strong Jaw. Not important or impressive at first, but will be important later for the battle. Ash credits Paul for the strategy he uses at this point in the battle, as Paul -smiles- while watching from home with Regi.

Stephen intelligently calls back his ace for now and calls out Aggron. Dracovish is defeated. Agron loses to Gengar's Will O Wisp, which is a big deal as it learned this from Ash's Fire Pokemon in the recent Paul episode. It was cool to see a Pokemon go down in the anime due to a status ailment too.

Cradily takes out Gengar, but not before it dealt some damage. Pikachu is able to use the rocks thrown at it and use Electro-Web to defend itself while climbing down Cradily's feelers to KO it with Iron Tail.

Pikachu uses it's Z move to direct electricity at will, which helps it weaken Mega Metagross who can predict moves and move very fast. A final Iron Tail wins the day.

This episode had the most amount of cameos to date. Of course, all of Ash's Pokemon at Oak's ranch were watching from tv (and the fire types got particularly excited when Gengar used Will o Wisp!) along with Oak, Deliah, and Tracey. As I said earlier Regi and Paul were watching too. But, the big news was the Hoenn cameos: Tyson, Drew, Harley, Masamune, Kelly (a rival of May's), Prof Birch, Katie (a tough opponent who Ash battled in the Hoenn league) even random trainers of the day from a filler Spinda episode.

Poketuber has some great shots of today's appearences in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbj6...nel=Pokeferlax

For those not happy that we didn't see Cilan next week, or May and Max this week, keep in mind that all of Ash's other companions have appeared at some point in Journeys (except Misty), while smaller characters have been making brief appearances during this tournament.

Something about this battle didn't seem rushed, either. It felt natural. I'm hopeful that this remains true moving forward.

10/10

I was tempted to give a 9 because I usually save 10/10 ratings for things like Ash Vs Paul, Gary, Alain.... but an important thing to keep in mind is that if I can't think of what I would have improved, I need to be fair. Also, this is the Masters 8 Tournament, this is THE time in the franchise to give 10's out like candy if it feels right!

Last edited by AK2; 07-22-2022 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Add video link
Old 07-22-2022, 07:51 PM   #55
AK2
Boulder Badge

Interesting video:

*spoilers*

This video provides its source, and turned out to be accurate for this week's episode. Watch if you want to know what Ash's team will be vs Cynthia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGs3...nel=PokeFan4LL

Interestingly enough, this confirms that the semi-finals will also be 3 v 3. Of course, the magazine providing the information may be leading us on.
Old 07-22-2022, 09:30 PM   #56
AK2
Boulder Badge

This schedule is terrible!

I can't even....

I just learned about this while watching to KgPrestige's reaction to today's episode...

The schedule for the next month and a half are as follows:

July 29th:Koharu and Eievui and the Eviolite! (RECAP episode seemingly according to the preview and summary)

August 5th: PM2019 119 - The Possibilities are Endless for Koharu and Eievui! (this is where this little story/distraction will wrap up)

August 12th: PM2019 120? - The Climax Begins: Satoshi's Masters Tournament Experience (another recap it would seem)

August 19th: Nothing. I hear it's because the Sonic movie will be aired during that time.

August 26th: TBA (?)

September 2nd?: PM2019 122? - The Semifinals I: Overwhelming Victory (presumably Leon crushing Diantha)

Oh my god............ just like KG does in his video and im sure more people will....

As SOON as there was an episode of the tournament I actually liked, this terrible schedule!

1. A recap episode for an uninteresting character's quest with her over-used Pokemon is not interesting.

2. I already made a video about my feeling for the episode that will air the week after, it shows a crying Eevee as the jpeg. Should not be airing in the middle of this tournament, and should have aired earlier this year.

3. A recap episode for an overall terrible tournament which is only 4 episodes long up to that point and recently aired is terrible on the part of production...

4. I could only hope the TBA won't be a waste of our time. Perhaps an episode to show Ash's old traveling companions showing up for the tournament and getting screen time?

5. My previous post pointed out that it seems that the semifinals will be 3 v 3. This makes sense if this is Leon trouncing poor Diantha.

Which leaves us with only 11 episodes to go. This actually is enough to do a full 6 v 6 and make it a three parter (Ash vs Paul length) or even Kukui length of a 4 parter. This could make project Mew a solid 5 or 6 episodes, especially if this were to wrap up things with TR.

Two weeks for epilogue to Ash's journey if Ash beats Leon.

WHY oh WHY did they waste 5 weeks with recaps and no content at all when we could have had every episode be 6 v 6?

This series has been weird. SOLID on paper when proposed: Ash (maybe) becoming a Pokemon Master, a traveling companion who may catch Mew and goes on field quests involving legendary Pokemon to lead up to it, old traveling companions and Pokemon returning....

But so many wasted, poorly handled opportunities up to the beginning of 2022, with some VERY good episodes thrown in (Lillie family episode for example) with mediocre or bad episodes. This tournament, even if Ash wins, will go down as one of the worst Leagues (equivalent) ever. Even if Ash vs Leon and Ash vs Cynthia is epic, the fact that most battles were rushed and badly done, with recaps and long gaps is unforgivable.

I don't know what mindset I will be in if Gen 9 gets an anime. Especially if Ash is the protagonist again. I will definitely finish out this current series.

Video on this come Sunday. I'm going on a day-long road trip with friends tomorrow to go to an Elton John concert and need to hit the hay/won't have time tomorrow.

Also, if you follow any of these, on Sunday I will be posting videos with my opinions on the newest episodes of Better Call Saul, American Horror Stories, and the Walking Dead franchise/comic con info.
Old 07-23-2022, 01:12 AM   #57
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The godrat came through again, just like he did in the Kalos League (needing to take down two mons).
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-23-2022, 09:12 AM   #58
AK2
Boulder Badge

Indeed!

What do you think of Pikachu's Z Move? It first premiered when Ash beat Kukui
Old 08-06-2022, 02:23 AM   #59
AK2
Boulder Badge

My thoughts on the state of the show, early August 2022

Hi everyone!

I made a speculation video two weeks ago about Koharu's Eevee evolving in today's episode (I speculated about a gen 9 Eeveelution) and talked about the -terrible- schedule we will have with the show this month of August.

I wasn't going to say anything until at least semi-finals 1 or maybe even 2 to take a breather and let some -good- content buildup.

I felt the itch to make a video though, and it's an update on my thoughts about the show at the moment.

The video from two week's ago is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woA0...BrianFrancisco

Tonight's is here: (it focuses on my disappointment with today's episode/thoughts on a potential gen 9 anime/Ash maybe losing to Leon or Cynthia, and next week's recap episode) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7EM...BrianFrancisco

A post I made which was supposed to link to the video from two week's ago was accidentally posted in the Pokemon S&M anime thread if you want to check it out.
Old 08-06-2022, 11:27 AM   #60
AK2
Boulder Badge

New video -August 6th- on FOUR new title drops!

So yet another new video, unplanned.

What can I say? With what I address in the video, it would have been dumb to ignore things for the next month.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1WjNVinYTU
Old 08-08-2022, 11:38 AM   #61
AK2
Boulder Badge

Video on some news that dropped today. My thoughts on the newly released summaries of the first two (of four) semi-finals. Included are thoughts on the length and format for Ash vs Cynthia, along with how I believe Leon vs Diantha will be portrayed. Child Cynthia too in flashbacks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsXD...BrianFrancisco
Old 08-12-2022, 09:37 AM   #62
AK2
Boulder Badge

The Masters 8 recap episode

I will post more tomorrow morning once the episode has been subbed. I will be out with some friends at a water park today and we won't get back till late, and I will NEED the beauty sleep for some work i'm doing next week,

I have seen the raw version though and read tweets from various people.

This was literally a recap of Ash's team (minus Dracovish) and the 4 battles which have taken place so far while focusing on each Trainer's ace. The "3 strongest moves" of Ash's team is shown off too.

There are literal battle scaling charts which show Ash is behind the other top 3 trainers when it comes to things like defense and experience but is strong in using strategies that are outside the box: "Randomness".

From leaked pics the other day, we have confirmation that Leon will floor Dianthia in one episode, and a lot of that episode will focus on Cynthia's childhood.

When Ash fights Cynthia, it will be a tough fight. There was even background music written with the theme of Ash being frustrated because he believes he will not win this battle.... it gets that bad. She is beautiful and kind, as we have seen on many occasions before this tournament. But she is tough and merciless on the battlefield.

Despite this, victory or loss, she plans to retire from battling after this tournament.

More info to come when I see subs.

Remember, no new episode next week.
Old 08-13-2022, 05:41 AM   #63
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK2 View Post
Remember, no new episode next week.
WHAT?

THREE RECAPS WTF?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-14-2022, 12:35 AM   #64
AK2
Boulder Badge

Quote:
WHAT?

THREE RECAPS WTF?
Just no new episode, as in nothing airing at all. Not that it is much of an improvement, I know.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:50 AM   #65
AK2
Boulder Badge

There were two previews after the most recent recap episode. One focused on Diantha being demolished by Leon (poor gal will likely get ko'd off-screen mostly too, as the next episode will also be building up to the Cynthia battle, even showing some of her childhood memories) and the other focusing on Ash really struggling to defeat Cynthia.

This will certainly be the battle where the background music which focuses on Ash "being frustrated at not even being able to get to Leon will occur". This will be his sentiment, but we know he will win, as the next episode shows Oak/Deliah/Ash's Pokemon watching at Oak's lab.... remember, the original trailer for the Masters 8 shows this group actually AT the stadium with a worried Delia.

What this does mean though is that Ash will win by the skin of his teeth, no doubt worried about being able to take on Leon.

With project Mew seemingly wrapping up between the semi-finals and finals, this will give Ash some time to think. His current team (with the exception of Dracovish not being evolved) is already maxed out and using the new moves learned from Ash's lab Pokemon.

So, here is my hypothesis:

Last March a leaker for China began leaking all of the spoilers we have had since then with 100% accuracy. The only thing credited to him which did not happen yet was his suggestion that Ash bring his strongest team to the tournament. This may have been a rumor or the leaker may have been wrong for once. Well, this right here will be the motivation and opportunity for Ash to do this. If Ash is going to defeat Leon and the writers want to truly captivate an audience for the battle of his life, bringing his best team will be the way to go. I suspect this will happen. Again, this is an educated guess. He could stick to his current team. Heck, he could even lose to Cynthia and the early preview was deceitful. We don't know for sure yet and we won't even know until the end of September if he will win this next battle.

We will need to wait and see........ whether through the show or early spoilers.
Old 08-27-2022, 09:55 AM   #66
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Episode was sheep butts. I can see everyone's angry. Good.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-28-2022, 10:47 AM   #67
Char
Banned

Quote:
Episode was sheep butts. I can see everyone's angry. Good.
+1
Old 08-28-2022, 11:55 AM   #68
AK2
Boulder Badge

Yep. Kid goes missing and Diantha unrealistically POWNED off-screen mostly.

No video, not worth my time.

Axew has gone missing episode or the Kanto League episode trying to get Pikachu back from TR after being tricked at the Pokemon League again.
Old 09-05-2022, 09:59 PM   #69
AK2
Boulder Badge

I'm not feeling it right now in regard to a video with things going on in my life right now.

With that said, Ash should have called back Dragonite when she fell asleep.... very bad call for the battle to decide second best trainer in the world.

Nobody else on the net seems to care as much but this brings the whole episode down for me

Spiritomb is a boss

Pikachu's move was great, but it's -expected- as this point in the tournament.

Hopeful for parts 2 and 3. It would surprise me though at this point if the tournament can deliver on these last two battles, which -should- be the best in the franchise, but Im not setting my expectations too high

I hope everyone else is enjoying it :/
Old 09-06-2022, 09:01 PM   #70
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It was a good episode although it sucks Dragonite has become the Goodra of this tournament.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-10-2022, 12:11 PM   #71
AK2
Boulder Badge

Part 2 was MUCH better!

What I was expecting from this tournament.

9/10

Video later
Old 09-10-2022, 02:16 PM   #72
AK2
Boulder Badge

I don't have time to write down everything I said.

Pop up in dinner, sit down, and watch my 30 minute thoughts on the episode, the schedule over the last month and story-telling, and my thoughts on -next- month and how Journeys could end!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOH8...BrianFrancisco
Old 09-20-2022, 09:52 AM   #73
AK2
Boulder Badge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT83...BrianFrancisco

I could have sworn that I posted this last Friday... like Im 100 percent sure so I dont know what happened...

Anyway, this video shares my thoughts, which were very positive, like 10/10

That will be the -only- review for this episode, despite what I said at the time, as the only thing I need to add is that I think it's great that Cynthia -won't- be retiring from battling, most of what formed my opinion on the episode were battle related and not dialogue related.

I will do another video for the recap episode coming up, but will also start posting my thoughts here on UPN in case anyone is tired of having to go to youtube to hear my thoughts.

Yay for two subscribers!
Old 09-23-2022, 12:10 AM   #74
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I don't think it was a 10/10, I didn't care for it (not enough to post anyway).
I think Mega Lucario vs Garchomp as just a slugging match was a great choice. Using Reversal as the finisher was also a great choice (echos of the Alola League finals). But the execution could have been much better.

I don't want to see tons of animation dumped into Ash vs Leon just for Ash to lose.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-02-2022, 02:40 AM   #75
AK2
Boulder Badge

Thoughts on newest episode and stuff in the community

Well, another week, another episode.

Maybe something next week, but likely, no new thoughts until 3 weeks from now.... unless I just marathon all of Ash vs Leon

Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFS3...BrianFrancisco

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYA..._x9Tvsq4pLbmCw

Check every week as I will likely have a new video review.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime