UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 05-15-2021, 07:23 PM   #8051
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Kimetsu no Yaiba: Mugen Train is rated R in the USA for some reason. Is that the only anime film to get such a rating in 30 years?
No. Cowboy Bebop's film was rated R. Various Satoshi Kon films were rated R. GitS was 1995, so that's within 30 years.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 05:31 AM   #8052
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I didn't even know Bebop had a film. The more you know!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:13 PM   #8053
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Ken Akamatsu is apparently retiring but before he does, he's going out with a bang.

What would Love Hina or Mahou Sensei Negima be like if Keitaro or Negi banged both of their respective harems during a death march to the final chapter? Because that's what's happening in UQ Holder, with a series of H scenes between Touta and all the girls who crushed on him during the series.

I'm not going to post it here for obvious reasons but...it's craziness, it's madness, it's Sparta.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-05-2021, 02:06 PM   #8054
Connor
Flashbacker

Odd Taxi is pretty damn cool.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:49 PM   #8055
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Is it CGI? I'm embarrassed to say that while I recognize that name, I barely know anything except isekai manga right now due to the preponderance and proliferation of CGI in anime.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-06-2021, 06:45 AM   #8056
Connor
Flashbacker

Not that I could tell? I have a bad eye for this kind of thing. It certainly didn't seem it.

Honestly I'd say you should give it a watch but it's probably not for everybody. It honestly feels like it draws more from Tarantino films than anything else. I suck at selling things but for me this has honestly been one of the best anime I've watched in a long time. The writing was great, the characters are likeable but honestly realistic, the dialogue is excellent. That's where a lot of the comparisons with Tarantino are coming from.

The mystery at the core of the plot is intriguing but honestly the characters are what sold this so strongly to me. That and the OP. My god the OP slaps. It is liquid smooth.
Old 07-11-2021, 05:34 PM   #8057
Loki

Manga: Spy x Family

Getting better! Yeah! The issue I had with the series is now the main focus of the current arc! Yay!

Re-Read: Berserk

I've loved Berserk for so long, but now the earlier arcs feel like they hit harder. The chapter where an old priest picks up Guts on the road and talks about his nephew dying as a mercenary and Guts stating basically, "He died doing what he loves" brought a tear to my eyes when in the past the statement wasn't so impactful. Truly losing Miura is the death of John Lennon of our time. I truly doubt another manga will amaze me with it's art while also move me with their story as much as Berserk. Everyone should read it, first time or again as it is a true world changing series.
Old 07-11-2021, 05:39 PM   #8058
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Holy crackers, I had forgotten Loki mentioned Spy x Family as I was reading the raws for some reason. The genesis of my curiosity had been lost to coronavirus.

It's indeed quite cute, although being JUMP I will maintain my distance because there's no possibility of it going deeper like I would prefer.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-14-2021, 05:46 PM   #8059
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Thrice Upon a Time

Loki are you watching this? It's got the original actors and everything. It's a mind foof.

It's also in 4:3. wtf?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-15-2021, 08:03 PM   #8060
Loki

I didn't even finish 3.0 or at least don't remember the latter half. I think Anno is a little full of himself from various interviews when talking about the original Evangelion and its impact onmodern anime. I don't hate his message or themes of this new Evangelion, but I do think it's purposely made in a way to irk the viewers.
Old 08-16-2021, 02:52 AM   #8061
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I don't think you need to watch any of the rebuild films prior to watching Thrice; I guess you need to know who Mari is, but her origins are also explained in this movie.

I guess I have mixed feelings on this. I think it looks like arse. The CGI is terrible and really takes away from the visceral feeling of the original (and EoE's) gritty horror-action. I don't quite get the message outside of the obvious one of Shinji visible maturing over the course of the movie, to the point that the final scene really feels final.

The closest comp I can make is Luke Skywalker's cameo at the end of The Mandalorian season 2, which for all the hokey problems of that season did make it feel like a proper sequel to Return of the Jedi.

Having watched a bunch of film studies entertainment videos a lot of the stuff Anno does in this movie that would have blown away audiences early on are readable to me now. Like the aforementioned 4:3, it doesn't stick the whole movie, and is meant to frame the original series as something that happened another lifetime ago, with several implications.

I think this movie is a 6/10. That end, in abstract, is one of the strongest (I just wish we didn't see what happened to Rei/Kaworu). The twist about Kaworu's true identity is something that could have fit right in the OS. It's also nice to have the original English actors as the dub and sub are equally watchable for once, though I don't mind subs distracting my eyes from the awful CGI action sequences.

I definitely think young hungry Anno >>> old Anno, old Anno feels like he's lecturing the audience like Miyazaki at times. But hey, it's interesting.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-07-2021, 04:18 PM   #8062
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So looks like the final verdict on Berserk is that it's going to end. We have leaks of the final chapter with a no "To be continued" on the final page.

Now, whether the story continues or not isn't certain. The likely cause is a sequel series done by Miura's surviving staff. But Kentaro Miura's Berserk is over for now.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-11-2021, 01:05 PM   #8063
Loki

Demon Slayer: Mugen Train Arc started yesterday. Initially I was disappointed that they would be doing the same arc as the film, but my friend told me a lot was skipped for the film and it would be reintroduced back into the current season. Right off the bat, episode one was filled with new stuff, so I'm thus far happy with it. Even though it's a double dip, it's like the second dip has more toppings.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:19 PM   #8064
Loki

Started watching Eighty Six, a military drama about essentially Nazis forcing other ethnic groups to be soldiers to die in the war so the purebloods can live in peace. I'm about half way through the first cour and it's pretty good. There's a lot of pessimism about not being able to change society and how platitudes are pointless and insulting.
Old 10-25-2021, 11:25 PM   #8065
Loki

I finished season 1 of Eighty Six and started season 2. I'm enjoying it. Second season has some big changes thus far, but I still enjoy it. Still continuing Demon Slayer as well.

Dopple, are you watching the Muv-Luv Alternative anime?
Old 10-27-2021, 04:35 PM   #8066
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

No, I was thoroughly discouraged by the "politics" behind it, like the casting change, the elimination of Extra, and the artwork/CGI.

I'm not totally close minded to the idea of an umbilical cut of an adaption (I'm scheduled to see DUNE in IMAX next week) but it doesn't really curry my interest at all.

I'm already down on CGI mecha as discussed in Thrice Upon a Time, and MLA will almost certainly be worse than Anno with his Eva money.

I am watching the Assassin isekai. The production quality is higher than Redo of Healer and some Sun/Moon girls are cast in it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-28-2021, 01:52 PM   #8067
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Muv-Luv Alternative

I started watching MLA. It's (predictably) pretty sad for how much they clearly skip and speed through; I wonder why they even bothered trying at this point. =/ They even wasted the first ep (which was the most compelling so far tbh) on an original character and story for some reason - unless Dopple knows/recognizes them? It's the woman who shows up in the OP at 0:40.

Incidentally, while the OP is cool, 'tis a shame they didn't bring back JAM Project. (Also I noticed the name "Tencent" in the ED credits... >.>)

Komi-san Can't Communicate

This has been on my radar ever since I learned the premise and read the first manga chapter. The first ep (again?) made me cry, and I'm really glad there's a series that treats "social anxiety" as an actual debilitating condition rather than just a moe trait (even if like Koe no Katachi the girl has to be made uber kawaii anyway in order to sell). I got some classic Haruhi vibes from the introductions, and it almost feels like "if Haruhi had Disappearance Yuki's personality when she met Kyon". The animation is surprisingly gorgeous too for an adaptation of the manga's simplistic style.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:02 PM   #8068
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I don't recognize that woman, but from how she's dressed and who she's pictured with (Saigiri) I'm assuming she's his second in command with the tactical research group that instigated the coup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilboocorsola View Post

Komi-san Can't Communicate

This has been on my radar ever since I learned the premise and read the first manga chapter. The first ep (again?) made me cry, and I'm really glad there's a series that treats "social anxiety" as an actual debilitating condition rather than just a moe trait (even if like Koe no Katachi the girl has to be made uber kawaii anyway in order to sell). I got some classic Haruhi vibes from the introductions, and it almost feels like "if Haruhi had Disappearance Yuki's personality when she met Kyon". The animation is surprisingly gorgeous too for an adaptation of the manga's simplistic style.
This one is infamous for its (bad) shipping development. I can't speak on the communication disorder, but I've heard Komi spends way too long spinning its wheels with non-development, unrelated to any personal issues. By comparison there's much more...organic, paced? development in the Yabai Yatsu, which it frequently gets compared to.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-03-2021, 04:41 PM   #8069
Loki

Shin No Nakama, or I was Banished from the Hero's Party is kind of like a edge-less Shield Hero but only at the most basic level. Essentially it's about a protagonist who is ostracized for being perceived as too weak. Except instead of becoming an anti-hero, he decided to become an apothecary in the boonies.

My biggest issue with Shield Hero was that it was extremely contrived. The whole setting and scenario was purpose built to have the protagonist become an edgy character. It all felt way too forced and I couldn't get interested in it. It cranked up the dark and edginess to 11 and said that was the basis of everything.

Shin No Nakama has a less problematic setting and scenario, but it feels like it contradicts itself more and more as the story fleshes out. The main character-Red was once in the party of the Hero with the quest to slay the Demon King, the hero being his little sister. She was born with the blessing of the Hero and he was born with the Blessing of The Guide. She is given immense power to fight demons while he is given a strong start and a diverse range of skills, but nothing at master level. Because of this, he is said to be the weakest member of the party and so the party mage Ares tells him he should leave in order to not be a burden.

This is all fine, but as the story continues, literally everyone in the hero's party basically talks about how bad it is without Red in the party. The other party members all being combat focused, but all lack diplomacy, supply management, or strategic and tactical planning. This leaves the party in kind of a mess and puts everyone on edge. They end up lost in the desert. the characters keep praising Red and how things were better with him around and so forth.

This is kind of the problem I have with it. It's like the protagonist can't be in the wrong in anyway. He's the victim when only one person voiced their dislike of Red and somehow that was enough to convince him to leave. He didn't like make a bad call that lead to someone in the party dying or whatnot, he just had one asshole tell him to leave and he gave in. This doesn't give the show much drama because of the rest of his life is now uninteresting and dull.

There's definitely shows with dull premise that can be interesting and I have watched and enjoyed, but this isn't one of them. The story endlessly praises Red for being kind and strong and being a good person, but they do it by making everyone else comically bad or incompetent. He also accomplishes his goal right away and now he's just meandering through his days.

It's not very good. If it gets better, I might mention it again.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:22 PM   #8070
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

"Kicked out of the party" is actually a pretty infamous subgenre of isekai, and actually became its own subgenre of "game-like fantasy". Pretty much every single story that runs with this premise has the same faults as what you mentioned.

Usually, though, the most common reason is that a male member of the Hero's party kicks out the MC (also male) because he wants a harem. Like I have no knowledge of the specifics of Shin no Nakama but from knowledge of the tropes, I'm 99% sure that after the MC is kicked out, it's just the jerkface + a bunch of girls. If there's a male left, he's either married, a beastman, or is portrayed as a figure with no interest in the opposite sex.

The other big popular subgenre these days is "betrayed", where the MC gets isekai'd and is quickly betrayed by someone close to him. In Shield Hero, this is Myne; usually, though, it's a childhood friend of the MC, either isekai'd with the MC from Earth or someone he groew up with in the new world.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-04-2021, 07:37 PM   #8071
Loki

I guess that's a positive for this series cause there's no harem and it isn't an isekai.

Red is gifted a waifu that's a princess with big boobs who left behind both her royalty and her adventuring career to be with him. Their romance is extremely... tame... Very Japanese in how he's too shy and formal and polite to say anything even though she's pretty much throwing herself at him. Their romance is advancing I guess, but like I said, it's a very dull anime despite the fantastical setting it's set in.
Old 11-05-2021, 12:11 AM   #8072
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So I looked up that title...

I recognize this! I know basically one thing about it, so if you feel like dropping it, know that:

Spoiler: show
Despite the romance seeming like it spins its wheels, the MC does in fact bang the main girl and they progress forward as a couple. And not at the ending either. It's not a story where they seesaw and tease for the entire run like Kanojo Okarishimasu. Whether or not the anime will show this isn't known, but there is a side chapter where MC full-on seeds something other than soil.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-07-2021, 12:13 PM   #8073
phoopes
Double Dragon

Told Kuno/Loki/maybe a few others that I’m restarting One Piece. I had originally watched the 130 episodes that are on Netflix earlier this year but kind of fell off after that. Idk why I felt like I needed to start from the beginning but I just kind of felt like I had to so that’s what I decided. Just finished up the Baratie arc and am now headed onto Arlong Park, which I remember thoroughly enjoying last time. I’m taking it like 2-3 episodes per day and I think that’s a nice pace for this monster of an anime haha. I heard that episode 1000 is coming up pretty soon and I just finished episode 30 so I’ll try and keep y’all updated with the progress
Old 11-07-2021, 04:57 PM   #8074
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

OP is great and remarkably consistent for like 300 episodes and 500 chapters of the manga. Unfortunately, there is a very clear delineation of decline and in retrospect you'll know where One Piece actually ended and "Neo Piece" begins.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-11-2021, 11:39 AM   #8075
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
OP is great and remarkably consistent for like 300 episodes and 500 chapters of the manga. Unfortunately, there is a very clear delineation of decline and in retrospect you'll know where One Piece actually ended and "Neo Piece" begins.
something tells me that once I'm that far in and that invested I probably won't care or notice a dropoff unless it's really significant haha

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime