UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Archived > PASBL > Referees Forum

Old 04-15-2017, 07:50 AM   #276
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Oh so I got 4 SP out of coaching for Crys. Cool.

Spoiler: show

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:20 AM   #277
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkSick View Post
Gym match vs TKF, could use some coaching here.

No harm in coaching a match I was part of right?
Squading
Your squad was rather threatening to be honest. I instantly regretted not squadding for the bugs I knew you would bring, barely any of my team had the ability to hit their weaknesses. Ghosts are always a great shot against Waters since most water moves are physical and they don’t mind the water. Overall, no glaring weaknesses I could exploit, so great work on that front.

Im not going to do things by match ups as you know as well as I do that it was an absolute switchfest lol. Instead I will comment on how you used each Pokemon.
Jigglypuff- You played Jigglypuff really well and I played Pelipper really poorly. I think you recognised straight up that Pelipper was the only thing that threatened your bugs and knew you had to bring it down quick. Typical of my playstyle I came out swinging and you played it perfectly with the Pain Split. You then got with the classic confusion into Zap Cannon combo, which pretty much secured the demise of my Pelipper. This earnt you the lead for most of the match and had me immediately playing off the back foot, a position I am not accustomed to. Switching it out was also a good option, you knew you would use Galvy at some point and Jigglypuff sitting in the back was something I had to keep in mind. Ultimately I got you with some Karma, using the same confusion into Zap Cannon to finally snatch my advantage back.
Galvantula- Ahh Galvy, slippery little sucker. Two of my team members could handle the neutral match up, but when I was already behind it was hard to handle. You got a little spammy with the Bug Buzzes, which I understand since they get a little bit more spread. The Rock Tomb on the switch worked to my advantage and the ref calls that went my way let me handle it to an extent. You really know what you are doing with it. Ahh the Bounce onto Sharpedo, not your smartest play. It landed you in the water, not somewhere you wanted to be. You still had your three left, I still had my 3 left, I knew I had to use aggression to force you to try and dodge but you kinda just accepted it?
Volbeat-Great, another bug I had to spread my limited offtype over. Went for the status game here, which I have pulled before with Chinchou/Lanturn to great success. It was ultimately what led to Volbeats demise, your decision not to use Heal Bell from Misdreavus to remove the Status really confused me 😉 (pardon the joke). Also I was lucky that you slipped up with the solar beam while I had rain dance up, the rain dance I only threw up because I had no idea what else to blow a move on.
Misdreavus-Good option to bring in once I sent out Seismitoad, who has a real hard time dealing with ghosts. Pretty much forced me into using Sharpedo, which your other three Pokemon could tear apart, a risky gambit on my part which paid off. Things could have gone differently in that round where the conditionals caused a massive trip up, but that is the downside of conditionals. The face off against Chinchou at the end was interesting. I had to get creative not to get energy KO’d once again my gambit paid off. With how limited the health of my mons was, I think you would have been better going with offensive pressure. Then you snagged me with a Destiny Bond, good ghost play.
Conclusion-Overall great match bud. You had me on the back for the majority of the match, it wasn’t till the last 5 rounds or so that I actually thought I could win. Considering you did it without sigs, I think this was a very impressive showing and without a doubt should earn you the credit that not many people give you. Keep up the good work

TheKnightsFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:36 AM   #278
TalkSick
Thunder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnightsFury View Post

No harm in coaching a match I was part of right?
Squading
Your squad was rather threatening to be honest. I instantly regretted not squadding for the bugs I knew you would bring, barely any of my team had the ability to hit their weaknesses. Ghosts are always a great shot against Waters since most water moves are physical and they don’t mind the water. Overall, no glaring weaknesses I could exploit, so great work on that front.

Im not going to do things by match ups as you know as well as I do that it was an absolute switchfest lol. Instead I will comment on how you used each Pokemon.
Jigglypuff- You played Jigglypuff really well and I played Pelipper really poorly. I think you recognised straight up that Pelipper was the only thing that threatened your bugs and knew you had to bring it down quick. Typical of my playstyle I came out swinging and you played it perfectly with the Pain Split. You then got with the classic confusion into Zap Cannon combo, which pretty much secured the demise of my Pelipper. This earnt you the lead for most of the match and had me immediately playing off the back foot, a position I am not accustomed to. Switching it out was also a good option, you knew you would use Galvy at some point and Jigglypuff sitting in the back was something I had to keep in mind. Ultimately I got you with some Karma, using the same confusion into Zap Cannon to finally snatch my advantage back.
Galvantula- Ahh Galvy, slippery little sucker. Two of my team members could handle the neutral match up, but when I was already behind it was hard to handle. You got a little spammy with the Bug Buzzes, which I understand since they get a little bit more spread. The Rock Tomb on the switch worked to my advantage and the ref calls that went my way let me handle it to an extent. You really know what you are doing with it. Ahh the Bounce onto Sharpedo, not your smartest play. It landed you in the water, not somewhere you wanted to be. You still had your three left, I still had my 3 left, I knew I had to use aggression to force you to try and dodge but you kinda just accepted it?
Volbeat-Great, another bug I had to spread my limited offtype over. Went for the status game here, which I have pulled before with Chinchou/Lanturn to great success. It was ultimately what led to Volbeats demise, your decision not to use Heal Bell from Misdreavus to remove the Status really confused me �� (pardon the joke). Also I was lucky that you slipped up with the solar beam while I had rain dance up, the rain dance I only threw up because I had no idea what else to blow a move on.
Misdreavus-Good option to bring in once I sent out Seismitoad, who has a real hard time dealing with ghosts. Pretty much forced me into using Sharpedo, which your other three Pokemon could tear apart, a risky gambit on my part which paid off. Things could have gone differently in that round where the conditionals caused a massive trip up, but that is the downside of conditionals. The face off against Chinchou at the end was interesting. I had to get creative not to get energy KO’d once again my gambit paid off. With how limited the health of my mons was, I think you would have been better going with offensive pressure. Then you snagged me with a Destiny Bond, good ghost play.
Conclusion-Overall great match bud. You had me on the back for the majority of the match, it wasn’t till the last 5 rounds or so that I actually thought I could win. Considering you did it without sigs, I think this was a very impressive showing and without a doubt should earn you the credit that not many people give you. Keep up the good work
Thanks a lot for your input. Agree that not using heal bell was foolish, I have only fought in 2v2 matches mostly and this was my first complete long match (4v4), so I guess my being not used to thinking of long term gains hurt me.

Have your SP!
Old 04-16-2017, 08:47 AM   #279
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your input. Agree that not using heal bell was foolish, I have only fought in 2v2 matches mostly and this was my first complete long match (4v4), so I guess my being not used to thinking of long term gains hurt me.

Have your SP!
That is a good observation! Claiming my 4 SP

Old 04-16-2017, 09:45 AM   #280
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Quote:
Gym match vs TKF, could use some coaching here.
Alright getting back into this I suppose.

Squad
A pretty decent lineup. You seem to have answers to just about every one of his 'mon - at the very least you can keep neutral match ups. I feel like it could have been a bit more focused but I don't see any particular problems with it.

First Matchup - Jigglypuff vs. Pelipper
This isn't a particularly bad matchup for you, though Jiggly does only okay in watery arenas.
The biggest issue I see here is that you spend most of your time special pivoting and giving Pelipper the positioning advantage the entire time. Jiggly has a lot of tools that are pretty useful for shutting down fliers. You seem to have the right idea in the last round but it's too little too late. I also think it's worth mentioning that Pain Split was probably not a great call - Pain Split is really not super great to use as a desperation move as it will put you into a bad energy position basically always.

The switch was definitely smart, though it's usually not great to switch due to being behind. Here it probably worked in your favor (especially considering you snagged the faint), but it's probaly not a great position to be in.

Second Matchup - Galavantula vs. Chinchou
I would have stuck with this matchup. It's fairly neutral and though he has a movement advantage, Galavantula has some unconventional trapping abilities you could have taken advantage of. The biggest issue with these kinds of gambits is that it makes you way more predictable as you lock in one of your later choices, which gives your opponent an opportunity to hard counter you later.

Third Matchup - Volbeat vs. Chinchou
I'm sure you are aware of this now but he stalled you pretty hard, lol. Stall is tricky to combat in ASB but I've personally had some success with being aggressive in response. I see you picked up on that, but it seems you were a little too late...

Switching Mess
So I think you started this off stronger - you made up for showing your hand early by drawing out TKF's last choice but I think you tried too hard to force a favorable matchup. The revolving door caused a lot of scrambling and tended to favor TKF. Switching frenzies can help you, but I feel it only really works out in your favor if you can put yourself into a largely neutral matchup where you feel more comfortable - otherwise, you just give your foe the chance to wear you down. I think you would have been in a good spot if you stuck with Chinchou vs. Galavantula, since you likely could make that be in your favor, but forcing back in Jigglypuff didn't really help you much.

The Rest of It
I think you still stood a chance at winning, but TKF was a little more conservative overall, which gave him the advantage. Seismitoad vs Galavantula is not a guaranteed loss for you, but switching wars were definitely in his advantage pretty much the whole time, particularly when he was able to score good shots on your last Pokémon with the tail ends of his. You might have benefitted from trying to be a bit more conservative in the last few rounds and tried to foil his offenses, but you were probably already in a bad enough place it might not have mattered.

Jeri's Positivity Corner
Your squadding is pretty solid and fairly balanced and I think you have a good sense for offense when you go for it. I think you play pretty well in the neutral - you should focus on that a bit more.

Overall
I have never been a big fan of switching wars and I think this is a good example of why. It's really easy to get caught up looking for a favorable switch and end up showing your hand as a consequence. TKF was able to repeatedly push you into a corner by countering your switches, and even if you were able to get a little bit of an advantage from the momentary favorable matchup, he was almost always able to answer with an equally favorable round, while maintaining an overall balance of favorable matches.

I think you also rely too heavily on pivoting. The best way to improve your battling is by thinking more spacially. TKF does a pretty good job of this and forces you to basically always react to what he's doing instead of doing what you want. He also does a good job of putting you in tough situations with status, making it harder for you to turret. I see moments where you break out of this, but it's a little too inconsistent to work.

I don't think you're too far off from a winning strategy (switching can be a good strategy, especially against people who are ill equipped), but switching is only really a good strategy when you're at an advantage.
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:00 AM   #281
Trot Away
Espurrvasive

Here is a scenario of mine. Yeah, the arena was a mess, but i'm hoping I did adequately. Of course, I could use a second opinion.
Trot Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:06 AM   #282
TalkSick
Thunder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Alright getting back into this I suppose.

Squad
A pretty decent lineup. You seem to have answers to just about every one of his 'mon - at the very least you can keep neutral match ups. I feel like it could have been a bit more focused but I don't see any particular problems with it.

First Matchup - Jigglypuff vs. Pelipper
This isn't a particularly bad matchup for you, though Jiggly does only okay in watery arenas.
The biggest issue I see here is that you spend most of your time special pivoting and giving Pelipper the positioning advantage the entire time. Jiggly has a lot of tools that are pretty useful for shutting down fliers. You seem to have the right idea in the last round but it's too little too late. I also think it's worth mentioning that Pain Split was probably not a great call - Pain Split is really not super great to use as a desperation move as it will put you into a bad energy position basically always.

The switch was definitely smart, though it's usually not great to switch due to being behind. Here it probably worked in your favor (especially considering you snagged the faint), but it's probaly not a great position to be in.

Second Matchup - Galavantula vs. Chinchou
I would have stuck with this matchup. It's fairly neutral and though he has a movement advantage, Galavantula has some unconventional trapping abilities you could have taken advantage of. The biggest issue with these kinds of gambits is that it makes you way more predictable as you lock in one of your later choices, which gives your opponent an opportunity to hard counter you later.

Third Matchup - Volbeat vs. Chinchou
I'm sure you are aware of this now but he stalled you pretty hard, lol. Stall is tricky to combat in ASB but I've personally had some success with being aggressive in response. I see you picked up on that, but it seems you were a little too late...

Switching Mess
So I think you started this off stronger - you made up for showing your hand early by drawing out TKF's last choice but I think you tried too hard to force a favorable matchup. The revolving door caused a lot of scrambling and tended to favor TKF. Switching frenzies can help you, but I feel it only really works out in your favor if you can put yourself into a largely neutral matchup where you feel more comfortable - otherwise, you just give your foe the chance to wear you down. I think you would have been in a good spot if you stuck with Chinchou vs. Galavantula, since you likely could make that be in your favor, but forcing back in Jigglypuff didn't really help you much.

The Rest of It
I think you still stood a chance at winning, but TKF was a little more conservative overall, which gave him the advantage. Seismitoad vs Galavantula is not a guaranteed loss for you, but switching wars were definitely in his advantage pretty much the whole time, particularly when he was able to score good shots on your last Pokémon with the tail ends of his. You might have benefitted from trying to be a bit more conservative in the last few rounds and tried to foil his offenses, but you were probably already in a bad enough place it might not have mattered.

Jeri's Positivity Corner
Your squadding is pretty solid and fairly balanced and I think you have a good sense for offense when you go for it. I think you play pretty well in the neutral - you should focus on that a bit more.

Overall
I have never been a big fan of switching wars and I think this is a good example of why. It's really easy to get caught up looking for a favorable switch and end up showing your hand as a consequence. TKF was able to repeatedly push you into a corner by countering your switches, and even if you were able to get a little bit of an advantage from the momentary favorable matchup, he was almost always able to answer with an equally favorable round, while maintaining an overall balance of favorable matches.

I think you also rely too heavily on pivoting. The best way to improve your battling is by thinking more spacially. TKF does a pretty good job of this and forces you to basically always react to what he's doing instead of doing what you want. He also does a good job of putting you in tough situations with status, making it harder for you to turret. I see moments where you break out of this, but it's a little too inconsistent to work.

I don't think you're too far off from a winning strategy (switching can be a good strategy, especially against people who are ill equipped), but switching is only really a good strategy when you're at an advantage.
Thanks for the coaching. Will try to be more conservative and smarter with switching.

Have your SP.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:53 AM   #283
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Thanks! +4

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 04-16-2017, 12:04 PM   #284
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trot Away View Post
Here is a scenario of mine. Yeah, the arena was a mess, but i'm hoping I did adequately. Of course, I could use a second opinion.
Alright let's give this a shot.

So first off, what immediately stands out is the arena, as you said. These sort of arenas are painfully complex, and unsuited for most battles, let alone a scenario, though given your Water Gym Trainer arena you seem to have gotten this point down since the match ended so not going to stick to it too much longer. In general though, just remember that an overly complex arena is a pain to the battlers and the ref. There's a reason those fell out of favor.

----

So for the squading, I am not overly familiar with the list of Ice mons you had at the time of the match, but what I can address is that it's quite a fair bit unbalanced. Now I know that Ice is a particularly bad type to squad, especially when it's monotyped, but the unbalance here is particularly abusable. Across your squad, you have nothing that takes neutral from rock, and while you have things that take neutral from fire and fighting, they are somewhat isolated in that if they go down, you have little else except for some offtype in other mons. You did an alright job in prepping versus steel but nothing actually hits steel for se outside of some offtype. TKF noticed this and abused this for the most part, thus the super nasty squad. Something like piloswine could have been very good here with that in mind, as it lets you deal with steels, fires and rock types, leaving your other Pokemon to deal with other things your squad needs to cover. It would have been able to apply pressure to a lot of things tkf brought as well, and would have let you have a nice little rounded core of Piloswine / Delibird to cover your type's weaknesses with two mons right out the bat.

All in all your squad, while unbalanced, wasn't too terrible given your level and options at said level. Just keep in mind that covering weakness as a squad is important. While Pokemon like Cryogonal and Froslass are decent, they don't offer much in way of dealing with the weaknesses your squad had, and Cryogonal at least could have been a slot better spent. You already had a very good pure ice in Beartic, no need for another my friend.

---

As for your matchups, you did a good in sending out Aurorus into his Empoleon. Your orders from first applied good pressure and I liked the Electrify usage, even though TKF went around it with a nondamaging move. Good response to the confusion with the calm mind, though it would probably have been better to break his sub instead of using a barrier since your special defense would have been buffed by the calm mind anywho. Breaking the sub means he doesn't have a free buffer to move around from second the next round, and you could have easily comboed a movement of your head to block the dazzling from hitting your eyes. From here you did a good job of trying to deal with constant switches, typespam and shenanigans, but TKF had too much of it. Good job on lasting 10 rounds though. At this point, while TKF is up by a mon, this came at a cost of locking in 3/4 of his Pokemon for the match. This should be abused heavily, but I don't think it was too possible given the squad.

Sending in Walrein next was the right choice. Good job dispatching Monfero, but you took a lot of damage doing it, which comes to bite you in the end. You did a very good job of punishing his switches and ripping into those mons as they are brought in though, well done. Afterward Froslass was a solid pick, letting you finish off the chandy as well as being able to do respectable damage to empoleon should he bring it back in, though he opted for the Clawziter here, which was the great option on his end. You made a good effort in weaving in and out of the sculptures and using your available options to your advantage, but the usage of Heat Wave was too much. I was very impressed with you bringing it down to critical though, well done dude.

Now here is where the empoleon pick shines. you have some offtype to hit him but not much. In this regard stalling was probably the right choice, given he had little qualm over spamming energy, but his damage was too much. Good try though.

---

All in all you indeed did pretty good, but better squadding probably would have brought you out with the win. Gj though dude.

Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:45 PM   #285
Trot Away
Espurrvasive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crys View Post
Alright let's give this a shot.

So first off, what immediately stands out is the arena, as you said. These sort of arenas are painfully complex, and unsuited for most battles, let alone a scenario, though given your Water Gym Trainer arena you seem to have gotten this point down since the match ended so not going to stick to it too much longer. In general though, just remember that an overly complex arena is a pain to the battlers and the ref. There's a reason those fell out of favor.

----

So for the squading, I am not overly familiar with the list of Ice mons you had at the time of the match, but what I can address is that it's quite a fair bit unbalanced. Now I know that Ice is a particularly bad type to squad, especially when it's monotyped, but the unbalance here is particularly abusable. Across your squad, you have nothing that takes neutral from rock, and while you have things that take neutral from fire and fighting, they are somewhat isolated in that if they go down, you have little else except for some offtype in other mons. You did an alright job in prepping versus steel but nothing actually hits steel for se outside of some offtype. TKF noticed this and abused this for the most part, thus the super nasty squad. Something like piloswine could have been very good here with that in mind, as it lets you deal with steels, fires and rock types, leaving your other Pokemon to deal with other things your squad needs to cover. It would have been able to apply pressure to a lot of things tkf brought as well, and would have let you have a nice little rounded core of Piloswine / Delibird to cover your type's weaknesses with two mons right out the bat.

All in all your squad, while unbalanced, wasn't too terrible given your level and options at said level. Just keep in mind that covering weakness as a squad is important. While Pokemon like Cryogonal and Froslass are decent, they don't offer much in way of dealing with the weaknesses your squad had, and Cryogonal at least could have been a slot better spent. You already had a very good pure ice in Beartic, no need for another my friend.

---

As for your matchups, you did a good in sending out Aurorus into his Empoleon. Your orders from first applied good pressure and I liked the Electrify usage, even though TKF went around it with a nondamaging move. Good response to the confusion with the calm mind, though it would probably have been better to break his sub instead of using a barrier since your special defense would have been buffed by the calm mind anywho. Breaking the sub means he doesn't have a free buffer to move around from second the next round, and you could have easily comboed a movement of your head to block the dazzling from hitting your eyes. From here you did a good job of trying to deal with constant switches, typespam and shenanigans, but TKF had too much of it. Good job on lasting 10 rounds though. At this point, while TKF is up by a mon, this came at a cost of locking in 3/4 of his Pokemon for the match. This should be abused heavily, but I don't think it was too possible given the squad.

Sending in Walrein next was the right choice. Good job dispatching Monfero, but you took a lot of damage doing it, which comes to bite you in the end. You did a very good job of punishing his switches and ripping into those mons as they are brought in though, well done. Afterward Froslass was a solid pick, letting you finish off the chandy as well as being able to do respectable damage to empoleon should he bring it back in, though he opted for the Clawziter here, which was the great option on his end. You made a good effort in weaving in and out of the sculptures and using your available options to your advantage, but the usage of Heat Wave was too much. I was very impressed with you bringing it down to critical though, well done dude.

Now here is where the empoleon pick shines. you have some offtype to hit him but not much. In this regard stalling was probably the right choice, given he had little qualm over spamming energy, but his damage was too much. Good try though.

---

All in all you indeed did pretty good, but better squadding probably would have brought you out with the win. Gj though dude.

Th-thanks...I knew my opponent would use a squad that would give me alot of trouble, but I tried my best to adapt anyway.

You can claim your SP now.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:56 PM   #286
Crys

Quote:
Th-thanks...I knew my opponent would use a squad that would give me alot of trouble, but I tried my best to adapt anyway.

You can claim your SP now.
Judging off your reaction I messed something up. Anything in particular you want addressed as well?
Old 04-16-2017, 01:08 PM   #287
Trot Away
Espurrvasive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crys View Post
Judging off your reaction I messed something up. Anything in particular you want addressed as well?
Oh no, the advice is sound. I'm just surprised about about the positive feedback. I thought I did horribly then!
Old 04-16-2017, 01:16 PM   #288
Crys

You did good trot away. Some things that need work on, but you're going places.

Anywho Thanks! +4.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:18 PM   #289
Altocharizard55
The Scientist

Quote:
Squad

Let's be really clear here. Ice is a hard type to squad with. I think what you went with is decidedly reasonable, although I strongly suggest considering the Piloswine line for handling Rocks at least a little better than your current lineup does.

Mon #1 (Aza's fights)

I think the you made a bit of a mistake leaving Aza in against both Chandelure and especially Monferno; there's not a lot in your moveset that could adequately deal with Chandy, while she was able to secure an early lead by the use of typespam, and by the time Monferno came out, you were already in a bit of a pinch. Additionally, saving Aza for a better matchup later on would have been keen, as she could have adequately handled both Waters on TKF's squad. A bit of a more general comment here, but as soon as Chandy came out, you very heavily played to TKF's tempo. Be very careful about being preemptively defensive; in a matchup you aren't able to out-stall in, you have to try to threaten your opponent with first-movers in some way.

Mon #2 (Flo's fights)

In the beginning of this match, you would have been much better served going on a full-out offensive. Although you certainly had a type advantage on Monferno, he also had one on you. You ended up taking a lot more damage than I think you would have if you had used your STAB typespam more aggressively. Also, when Lyssa came out, I'm surprised you didn't attempt to sneak in an Iron Tail/Head to her at some point, but you didn't do badly here, all things considered.

Mon #3 (Usurahi's fights)

The most glaring error here is preemptively throwing up a Light Screen as a first move. I'm not a huge fan of throwing up things like Barrier early, but Light Screen/Reflect are way bigger no's, seeing as how there is literally nothing that doesn't have some form of both Physical and Special attacking capability. You only end up wasting energy, and potentially worse. Also, the best preemptive defense most Ghosts have, IMO, is to go invisible. I think you could have abused the arena and your Ghost-ness/SC a bit more, instead of fighting the essentially straight-on battle that TKF was angling for.

Mon #4 (Delvin's fights)

You actually did relatively well here, considering you were fighting an Empoleon with a Delibird; not a very good situation indeed. I think my biggest piece of criticism here echoes something I said in the previous piece; you played to TKF's tempo and largely gave him the straight-up fight that he wanted. You would have fared better if you used the snowy arena to your advantage.

General Comments

Overall, I think you played this relatively well. As I said before, Ice is a tough type to defend; not a lot of typewise defenses to work with. However, you have other advantages. Namely, Ice types are fantastic at abusing snowy arenas. It's hard to spot a Froslass/Delibird in a snowstorm, for example; instead of using your moves to set up preemptive defenses, it's better to use your natural surroundings to put yourself in a defensible position. It was really clear in the last two matchups that TKF wanted to steamroll you with a quick and effective offense, but he would have had to work a lot harder for it if he had to hunt you down. On that note, be careful of setting up pre-emptive defenses in general; It's okay sometimes, but in ASB, reactive defenses are largely more effective.

Don't be afraid to switch out of a bad matchup in Switch=OK. It's good to avoid switching wars, but if you think you're going to have a bad long term fight ahead of you, it's not a bad idea to switch to something more neutral. In a gym match, this is doubly important.

On the upside

Your energy management is pretty good, for the most part! There weren't too many times you were restricted really negatively by exhaustion. You also managed to push TKF pretty hard despite a few mistakes, and you did well to punish him for his. I think you could have easily won this one if you had a bit of a better handle on your tempo! You aren't too far off from the mark, if you ask me!
Old 04-16-2017, 01:19 PM   #290
Zelphon
League President

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
@EK, take your imaginary internet points and leave me alone

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:33 PM   #291
Eliteknight
Tommy used to work...

collecting my 4 SP from the previous promo from coaching zelphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miror
EK keeping up his streak of being the scummiest motherfucker to ever grace mafia games regardless of his actual alignment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Well I don't know I wanted to deal damage and Starmie is inorganic :X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Starmie is a starfish, it is not inorganic :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Kush I'm TL1. How am I supposed to know things if you don't tell me them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
It's a starfish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
I have 1 SP. Retroactively claiming the SP tax on all the things I did whilst LO.

I now have 1 SP.
Eliteknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:35 PM   #292
Trot Away
Espurrvasive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocharizard55 View Post
Squad

Let's be really clear here. Ice is a hard type to squad with. I think what you went with is decidedly reasonable, although I strongly suggest considering the Piloswine line for handling Rocks at least a little better than your current lineup does.

Mon #1 (Aza's fights)

I think the you made a bit of a mistake leaving Aza in against both Chandelure and especially Monferno; there's not a lot in your moveset that could adequately deal with Chandy, while she was able to secure an early lead by the use of typespam, and by the time Monferno came out, you were already in a bit of a pinch. Additionally, saving Aza for a better matchup later on would have been keen, as she could have adequately handled both Waters on TKF's squad. A bit of a more general comment here, but as soon as Chandy came out, you very heavily played to TKF's tempo. Be very careful about being preemptively defensive; in a matchup you aren't able to out-stall in, you have to try to threaten your opponent with first-movers in some way.

Mon #2 (Flo's fights)

In the beginning of this match, you would have been much better served going on a full-out offensive. Although you certainly had a type advantage on Monferno, he also had one on you. You ended up taking a lot more damage than I think you would have if you had used your STAB typespam more aggressively. Also, when Lyssa came out, I'm surprised you didn't attempt to sneak in an Iron Tail/Head to her at some point, but you didn't do badly here, all things considered.

Mon #3 (Usurahi's fights)

The most glaring error here is preemptively throwing up a Light Screen as a first move. I'm not a huge fan of throwing up things like Barrier early, but Light Screen/Reflect are way bigger no's, seeing as how there is literally nothing that doesn't have some form of both Physical and Special attacking capability. You only end up wasting energy, and potentially worse. Also, the best preemptive defense most Ghosts have, IMO, is to go invisible. I think you could have abused the arena and your Ghost-ness/SC a bit more, instead of fighting the essentially straight-on battle that TKF was angling for.

Mon #4 (Delvin's fights)

You actually did relatively well here, considering you were fighting an Empoleon with a Delibird; not a very good situation indeed. I think my biggest piece of criticism here echoes something I said in the previous piece; you played to TKF's tempo and largely gave him the straight-up fight that he wanted. You would have fared better if you used the snowy arena to your advantage.

General Comments

Overall, I think you played this relatively well. As I said before, Ice is a tough type to defend; not a lot of typewise defenses to work with. However, you have other advantages. Namely, Ice types are fantastic at abusing snowy arenas. It's hard to spot a Froslass/Delibird in a snowstorm, for example; instead of using your moves to set up preemptive defenses, it's better to use your natural surroundings to put yourself in a defensible position. It was really clear in the last two matchups that TKF wanted to steamroll you with a quick and effective offense, but he would have had to work a lot harder for it if he had to hunt you down. On that note, be careful of setting up pre-emptive defenses in general; It's okay sometimes, but in ASB, reactive defenses are largely more effective.

Don't be afraid to switch out of a bad matchup in Switch=OK. It's good to avoid switching wars, but if you think you're going to have a bad long term fight ahead of you, it's not a bad idea to switch to something more neutral. In a gym match, this is doubly important.

On the upside

Your energy management is pretty good, for the most part! There weren't too many times you were restricted really negatively by exhaustion. You also managed to push TKF pretty hard despite a few mistakes, and you did well to punish him for his. I think you could have easily won this one if you had a bit of a better handle on your tempo! You aren't too far off from the mark, if you ask me!
I never would've thought of it that way! Thank you again, you're free to claim your SP
Old 04-16-2017, 02:09 PM   #293
Crys

Going to drop a request for a ref coaching for this match here: http://forums.upnetwork.net/showthread.php?t=7775

An obvious thing that stand out to me are that over the course of a match my quality drops. If I were to describe it it would be something like the ocean: slow descent down until it hits the drop off, with occasional sandbars of quality rising in between the deep. If someone could address how to fix that in addition to any other points, that would be solid.

EDIT: Here also have a regular match for those who need sp. It's my scenario v kush. http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...-Dark-Scenario

Last edited by Crys; 04-16-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:10 PM   #294
Celebii151
ADCs in 2017 LUL

Send a message via Skype™ to Celebii151
Scenario vs TKF

Gym Challenge vs Cibbir

coach me senpai

PASBL Record
Trainer Level: 5
Referee Grade: B
Wins (DQ): 51 (5) Losses (DQ): 27 (6) Draws: 3
KOs: 135 TP: 294 SP (Earned): 0 (0)

Anime Style Battling | Fizzy Bubbles | Wild Future
Thanks to Pengyzu for the UserBar!
Celebii151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:00 PM   #295
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

>Cele vs TKF

Okay Cele let's consider this part of your application review.

Squadding
Can't say much here - it's a Poison Gym Team and all the greatest hits of the type. You probably won't get much more solid than this.

First/Second Matchup - Electivire/Starmie v. Arbok
Looks like you got b8'd - though it's not so bad. This is probably one of your better Starmie matchups (obviously Drapion is better) so this is managable. All things considered, I think you did really well here. This matchup is not particularly in your favor as Starmie is pretty mobile and has an SE STAB against you, but you used your available tools well. I'd only really hope for a tie here myself so I think you should be proud of yourself.

Third Matchup - Steelix vs. Mega Venusaur
This matchup is technically neutral but I'd put it in your favor a bit. I think you could have been a bit more conservative here (you pressured well but I think you laid it on a little thick). It's always tricky to play around exploders. I don't hav a lot to say about this one if I'm perfectly honest. I think you got a little fucked by the Explosion and I feel like Grasswhistle working is iffy at best.

Fourth Matchup - Electivire vs. Muk
Okay unpopular opinion but I feel like this is an unfavorable matchup for you. Not as bad as Crobat but I think you might have been better off with Drapion, especially considering you already handled the Starmie threat. I think you handled this okay (also TKF's display wans't terribly impressive).

Fifth Matchup - Mamoswine vs. Muk
I think the way you reacted here was probably appropriate. TKF's switch was definitely an attempt at a momentum grab and I think going all in on Muk was the right play. I think you could have had a win condition here, but...

Sixth Matchup - Electivire/Mamoswine vs. Tentacruel
This is a fatal mistake I see made a lot - don't switch in something to deal with the end of the Pokémon currently out on the field. Switch for what's coming up. I know it can make it a bit tougher to deal with the remainder of the last 'mon but if you had brought in Drapion, you could have likely brought this much closer to a win. That said - I think you battled just fine here. I'm not sure you should have used your SE when you did (you probably would have been better to nuke with a second order) but as MtG pointed out you got pretty close to winning this.

Jeri's Positivity Corner
Hell, you did well, man. Your squadding was pretty solid, you tied an unfavorable matchup and was ahead in a neutral that was robbed by a boom, and nearly won a hard counter.

Overall
I'm impressed - you did a good job with your strategy. Admittedly it's still a little turret-y, but I think you manage your space pretty well and manage your moves reasonably well. Your squad is also pretty solid (good diversity, typings complement each other, good mix of all-rounders and specialists). Your biggest downfall is the long game. To be fair, most people don't really learn to long game until they've built a good deal of experience, so you're not alone.

My biggest piece of advice is to plan your matchups. If you manage your matches and have contingency plans if something goes sour, you'll often find yourself in better places in the long run. Also don't fall for the trap of a quick KO on a weakened 'mon. You're better off trying to stall out the weaker 'mon a bit and go into your next match in a better place overall than rushing out the ón that's out to find yourself in a tough spot.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:05 PM   #296
Celebii151
ADCs in 2017 LUL

Thanks Jeri, pick up your SP.

PASBL Record

Thanks to Pengyzu for the UserBar!
Celebii151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:08 PM   #297
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Thanks! +4SP

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 04-16-2017, 08:19 PM   #298
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebii151 View Post
Scenario vs TKF

coach me senpai

And another match I was a part of, lol.

Squading- Nice strong squad considering your TL, I think your brought the best of the best that you had available to you. Two covers on your ground weakness in Tenta and Venu, with Drapion covering your Psychic weakness. Mega Venu is always a great shout and Muk is a tank that can win most neutral match ups.
Arbok vs Evire & Starmie-Obvious switch lead which is common place in Switch=KO, Evire has ground and psychic offtype so I knew I could deal a powerful hit before switching to a flat counter. Arbok was a decent choice, you couldn’t go with 2 of your Pokemon and you couldn’t risk one of your power houses getting trapped. I pulled the Volt Switch in Round 1, the screech was a good choice as it meant I couldn’t drop a bomb on you before I got out of there. Starmie I chose due to the sig and obvious type advantage, but its handful of weaknesses afforded you the opportunity to do well in the match up. I stuffed up going for the confuse ray and you got a good hit in while I was setting up my Sig. I think the Giga Drain was a poor choice, you would have been better off with targeting my health with that 3 mover. I managed to get a nice Pain Split off on you, thanks to you being fatigued from the 3 mover. Eventually I had to blow one of my 3 movers to take the match up to a tie, good work.
M-Venu vs Steelix- Good choice in going with Mega Venu, not a lot of options on my end to take care of it. Somewhat questionable reffing in having a Pokemon fall asleep fresh out of the ball, normally I wouldn’t advise going for a sleep move that early on. Good option to get a boost under your belt while I was asleep and get sunny day up so you got another super effective move in weather ball, but I managed to get you into the water. Eventually I forced another double KO, but you played Venu really well despite me keeping you in the water for most of the fight.
Muk vs Evire & Mamoswine-Pretty even match up here, despite my STAB getting a slight boost and me having a bit more super effective offtype to use against you. You were wasting super effective offtype which is a no no when your opponent has limited weaknesses. You nuked my Mamoswine as soon as it came in, which was a good shout considering it had the ability to smash any of your 3 remaining Pokemon. I eventually took you down but it left me in a rather bad spot.
Tentacruel vs Mamo & Evire-Not sure this was the right choice. I had STAB on all of your remaining mons with Mamo, but Mamo was nearly dead. You probably could have gone Drapion and taken me down, then had a better chance of taking out my Evire. Again you decided to waste the only offtype you had on me, I thought you would have won if you didn’t do that. Eventually I got myself into a position where I could finish you off and I did, however the match was incredibly close.

Conclusion- I thought you did really well considering the mostly unfavourable match ups you have to deal with. I think you should continue going for the Poison gym, you honestly aren’t far off it in my opinion. You need to pay more attention to the usage of your limited super effective offtype, this is something that I use to great effect. You can afford to throw offtype out when your going first, but only when your opponent has multiple weaknesses that you can hit. Great match bud.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:26 PM   #299
Celebii151
ADCs in 2017 LUL

Thanks, get your SP

PASBL Record