UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 07-07-2014, 10:05 PM   #2701
Heather
Naga's Voice

Have you missed out on me using Lando for the past few weeks? I mean unless I get a bunch of shitmons and half their team is legends in a randbat you won't see me complaining, I know Randbats is Übers anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:17 AM   #2702
Cloneblazer12
somewhat temporarily back

Send a message via Skype™ to Cloneblazer12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Wherein I bring more legends. (Random Battle, 24 turns)

Spoiler: show
Calm down, Myles. Legends aren't always that good in Random Battles.

You actually see that here with my Manaphy. Too slow and too weak, it loses to Dragon Dance Whiscash despite Tail Glow boosting my SpAtk to 2.5x and my use of Grass Knot against a Water/Ground Pokémon. He's low enough in weight and just bulky enough that he doesn't die in one hit. (This doesn't stop my opponent from complaining about taking 80%HP damage though.)

You also kind of see it with Giratina, who despite boasting nominally awesome defensive bulk is still somewhat easily 3HKOed by most threats he brings to the table and who lacks the offensive power necessary to 3HKO much of anything itself.

But I luck out in that my opponent's own legends consist solely of Celebi (and with what is apparently a super shitty moveset, too) and his own Giratina. Well, my Giratina pretty much walls half of his team elementally, so that's nice. And my Latias is a good answer to his Espeon and Celebi. Even to his Giratina, really! And then waiting in the wings I've still got a Fighting-type Arceus who knows not only Fighting-type Judgment but who also knows Dark Pulse. Fighting and Dark make for a nice tag team combo, the Dark pwning Ghosts and Psychics, the Fighting hitting Normals, Rocks, and Steels. So yeah, all in all I am happy with my team.

My opponent is decidedly less happy. Not sure whether it was a typo or he really meant to type it, but after a "good fucking game" on Turn 22 he quits on Turn 24, the score 3-1 but imminently 3-0.

With this, I think all three of my accounts are above 1700 now in Random Battle. Which I guess means it's time to aim for the stars with one of them -- try and snag 1800+.

only putting this in spoiler tags cuz it deals with the outcome.

I'm pretty sure that he forfeited to not drag the battle out. It was obvious that he was gonna lose in two turns, so he probably didn't want to wait. That's my guess at least.

On an unrelated note, ladder decay is a bitch, and I tell it to fuck off

Ill admit it was a haxy game on my side (got a Flinch that win me the game), but I still feel that I played well. Now that I'm in the 1700s, I'm going up against a lot of good players. On top of that, this was my first game on this account since I posted my other replay of me getting to the 1700s, and even though its only been two days, I lost about 10 ELO. It's annoying, and I'm gonna have to play consistently to keep my ranking. (Not to mention that this is the highest that I've ever gotten on the Ladder).
Old 07-08-2014, 02:36 AM   #2703
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

RMT go!
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

Last edited by rotomotorz; 07-08-2014 at 08:13 AM.
rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:33 AM   #2704
Talon87
時の彼方へ

We have an RMT subforum. If you want.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:35 AM   #2705
Princess Ana
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Princess Ana
We do!

...someone should comment on my Gen V NU team or something.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:43 AM   #2706
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Oh, speaking of teambuilding and all that, someone suggest to me how I should run a Lonely Giratina? I need to get him out of my PC so he can make some friends. And maybe eat them.

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:51 AM   #2707
Princess Ana

Greninja @ Life Orb
-Power-Up Punch
-Shadow Sneak
-Waterfall
-filler
Old 07-08-2014, 08:01 AM   #2708
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeVA View Post
Greninja @ Life Orb
-Power-Up Punch
-Shadow Sneak
-Waterfall
-filler
Physical Greninja is nice. Although it was a Giratina. As in the Ubers one?

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:08 AM   #2709
Princess Ana

I misread!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:11 AM   #2710
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

I did not know these things
Squad Summary

Old 07-08-2014, 12:09 PM   #2711
Red Panda
head head bitch

>Giratina

Shadow Sneak, Earthquake, Dragon Tail/Outrage, Iron Head? I dunno Ubers well at all so yeah this probably isn't good at all.
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:33 PM   #2712
Heather
Naga's Voice

After an embarassing loss, I'll take this any day! (VGC, 7 turns)

THANK YOU BASED STARAPTOR FOR KOING MEGAZARD Y I LOVE YOU.
Flygon and Greninja were slightly annoying at the end, but yay, we won! not trying to ladder in this format, didnt expect to ever win, lol.

This time, Pac Man is the hero, with a little help from Lady Luck. (VGC, 7 turns)

What I like about playing this team in VGC is that I don't always feel the need to Mega Pac Man all the time, I can take some Mega Power and invest in Juslikoltimes if I feel like it. The freedom of choice is a great freedom, indeed.

Quote:

Last edited by Heather; 07-08-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #2713
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

So I was just thinking: We should play Ubers! So I made an Ubers team here goes:

literally the first competent battler I've encountered on the whole ladder

Everything else is composed of 3 categories: Those who just translate their OU team into Ubers, those who are just 8 year olds who get to have arceus, and those who aren't very good and wanted to try their luck on a ladder where everything is OP (in their defense, that counts for me, too).

I've kept my Mewtwo on standby in case of pesky Darkrais, but I don't think I'll ever really need to be worried; it seems Darkrai isn't meta anymore, and anyone who runs it now is sure to be prepared for the Insomnia to happen. Oh well.

>Lady Luck

Let this be a lesson: If they don't seem to have any intention of switching, and if you wouldn't be gaining anything of value by burning the switch in - KILL THE FRIGGING GARCHOMP AND WORRY ABOUT THE SWITCH IN LATER.

Your lead is very nice - Greninja for Instant Threatotron 3000, Scolipede for "ohcrapilose" 2 turns later. Your opponent did an excellent job of dealing with Garchomp once he showed up, but ultimately his Rotom misplays cost him the match.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #2714
Heather
Naga's Voice

IMO the crit cost him. Even boosted, the burn would have made it take too long for Chomp to kill roty, and SCOLITRAIN only has Steamroller to attack.

Quote:
Old 07-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #2715
Cloneblazer12

That Genesect set made me cringe. He already gets Ice Beam, and that's powerful enough for him and allows you to use a more useful item such as a Scarf or Life Orb. Secondly, why the hell are you using Signal Beam? It does absolutely nothing better than Bug Buzz, which is more powerful and also hits thru subs.

Secondly, I'm hard pressed to call that guy competent. His Garchomp was outsped by a Genesect, he was using REGULAR Lucario (which is terrible in Ubers), and NORMAL Blaziken (Mega Blaziken hits harder than normal even with LO, and also has a higher base speed that allows you to run HP investment). His team was also terrible altogether.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:48 PM   #2716
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

It was a lot better than the other guys. Trust me.

"Halfway decent" would have been closer. At least he was trying to be competitive.

>Genesect

I like techno blast it's strong

but I'll change it. I didn't know he got bug buzz (thanks teambuilder!)
Old 07-08-2014, 10:04 PM   #2717
Heather
Naga's Voice

So since all of us have sat out VGCs this year, who's on for next? I think I'm going to go for it, you can't learn jack if you don't try.

Who's with me?

Quote:
Old 07-09-2014, 10:14 AM   #2718
Cloneblazer12

Honestly I have no interest in doubles. I played a few VGC matches with a friend from Serebii, and lost horribly because my mindset is too focused on singles, which is where I like to think that I excel at. Maybe if VGC had a singles option I would go, but until that happens, count me out.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:38 PM   #2719
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Wherein I fight back against hax with the ultimate hax. (Random Doubles, 7 turns)

Will-o-Wisp: 85% accuracy.

Megahorn: 85% accuracy.

Fire Blast: 85% accuracy.

Each move had only a 1-in-8 chance of missing. And yet when I needed them most to hit -- when it threatened to cost me the game if they should fail -- they each and every last one of them missed their mark (save for Turn 3 where Fire Blast crucially did OHKO his Shell Smash-boosted Victreebel). Ridiculously bad luck.

Yet I have one ace up my sleeve: apparently, my opponent has not one single attack on his team save the ever-predictable Sucker Punch with which to dispel my Shedinja. When he switches in Ferrothorn on Turn 1, what immediately goes through my mind are these thoughts:
  1. Leech Seed? Y/N
  2. Stealth Rock? Y/N
  3. If both, which will he use first?
I assume he has Leech Seed and plans to OHKO Shedinja with that. If I'm right, then that means I should call Shedinja back. But, I reason, what if it's a bluff? What if he plans to set up Stealth Rock this next turn (Turn 2) instead? Then I'd be screwed. Maybe I should just leave Shedinja out to get in one final attack before it dies. And, so reasoning, I leave Shedinja out. Which proves to be crucial since:
  1. He did not have Leech Seed. :o
  2. He did have Stealth Rock.
  3. He did (eventually) put Stealth Rock up on the field.
Fearing a Sucker Punch on Turn 2 from Huntail, I decide to use Will-o-Wisp against Ferrothorn. I figure it's my best bet. "We'll leave Samurott to KO Huntail and we'll leave Shedinja to burn Ferrothorn so that Samurott hopefully doesn't get OHKOed by a possible Power Whip." Well, he doesn't order Sucker Punch ... and Megahorn misses ... and so too does Will-o-Wisp ... and Power Whip connects, OHKOing my Samurott ... and so I'm thinking, "Weeeeeeeeell shit."

Between Turns 2 and 3, he sends out Victreebel (Huntail's Baton Pass) and I send out Houndoom to replace Samurott. I figure that he will call Ferrothorn back, and so I target Victreebel with my Fire Blast. I also figure he will Sucker Punch Shedinja, and so I decide to use Will-o-Wisp again. Sure enough, I was right: he does try to Sucker Punch Shedinja! He fails thanks to me not using a standard attack, and he soon loses his pitcher plant to fiery retribution from my hellhound.

After missing Ferrothorn on Turn 4, I can't restrain myself from being grouchy about the hax. To which my opponent replies:
Quote:
i don't have anything against your shedinja
Wait, seriously? O-o :o Am I seriously going to win so long as I spam WoW when you send out Sucker Punchers? Is that all this is going to take? :o

Turn 5. Will-o-Wisp whilst Cinccino takes care of the Sucker Punch-threatening Huntail. (He doesn't use it though.)

Turn 6. Shadow Sneaking a Vanilluxe since I know it doesn't have Sucker Punch.

Turn 7. Shadow Sneaking a Venomoth because I can't risk losing to Quiver Dance and I know he doesn't have Sucker Punch either. WE CAN DO THIS!

And then my opponent finally forfeits. Not sure why he didn't forfeit sooner (since he was apparently telling the truth), but yeah: apparently the hax the server gifted him with my moves all missing was supremely outdone by the hax it gifted its chosen child: a Shedinja for me and no non-Sucker Punch means for him to get rid of it.

Current Elo score is 1572. This puts me at 32nd place on the Random Doubles ladder. GXE is 78.9, Glicko is 1750 ± 42.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:31 PM   #2720
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles Fowl II View Post
So since all of us have sat out VGCs this year, who's on for next? I think I'm going to go for it, you can't learn jack if you don't try.

Who's with me?
WHo the fuck said I'm done. I'm only getting started! LCQ is still up for grabs!

>Lady Luck

Part of it was your opponent's fault too, such as not targeting Greninja with Noivern and not running Sucker Punch on Mega Kangaskhan. And what is Stone Edge? Rock Slide has a chance to flinch both Pokemon and still does massive damage to fire and flying types.
Squad Summary

Old 07-09-2014, 10:42 PM   #2721
Heather
Naga's Voice

I did minimal editing when translating from OU to VGC. I'll fix that.

Quote:
Old 07-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #2722
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Not sure if I've ever gotten this high before, though I think I might have. Oh well, will share anyway just in case: 1358 on VGC 2014.

There've been an insane number of pro players on recently. I guess it's because it's the peak of the tournament season right now, with Nationals having just wrapped up and Worlds approaching. I've been matched several times with players who have VGC 2014 scores in the 1500s. It has not been pretty. -.-;

EDIT: Disappointing loss. (VGC 2014) Was right down to the wire.

In hindsight, I really should have used Dazzling Gleam instead of Psyshock against his Rotom-W there at the end. Would've given me just enough chip damage to snag the win in the end. But I was worried, perhaps irrationally so, that Dazzling Gleam juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust might barely not do enough to kill Rotom-W in one hit. And I absolutely did not want to lose Talonflame if I could help it. (Goddamn that Shadow Ball killing him anyway. ) So I opted for Psyshock instead. Because ...

Well, someone correct if I'm wrong, but do attacks that hit multiple targets still do less damage in Doubles than they do in Singles? I remember it being that way back in the day. Is it still that way now? If I'm wrong to think that it works this way, then I've been battling wrong and need to adjust my strategies accordingly.

Last edited by Talon87; 07-10-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #2723
dirkac
uhhhhh

And so, Aegislash is Suspect Tested by Smogon

I'm a bit on edge on this one. Though the fact that Aegislash essentially has a BST of 720 and is an immense threat, debilitating any other Pokémon that my see usage is obviously bad, I just can't help but feel that Aegislash really is too easily disposable outside it's Shield Forme, which is obviouly what Aegislash spends less of its time in, as it's pretty easily debilitated by Mandibuzz, Bisharp, or Heatran to extent, but of course, running any of those three (which are still very common) just to stop this is obviously unhealthy, even worsened by the fact that they all counter specific sets, which, of course, means that if you mispredicted the set it runs, you've essentially thrown away a Pokémon, which is rather easy to happen because of how many sets this thing can utilize.
dirkac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #2724
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkac View Post
Talon claims the current generation of Smogon brass are systematically trying to retrofit the Gen VI OU meta to match the Gen V OU meta.

Talon is berated, ridiculed by Smogon fanboys.

Smogon continues to systematically ban the creatures which transformed the Gen V meta into the Gen VI meta.

Talon puts on his cool guy shades.

But seriously, Aegislash is probably the single best counter to Terrakion. With the ghost sword and shield gone, Terrakion usage is sure to spike.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #2725
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Well if GenVI had introduced any good Pokemon besides Talonflame and Aegislash MAYBE WE'D SEE THEM???

Jokes aside, people should start using some of these new toys more seriously. Malamar could be really good in an Intimidate meta!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON