UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 11-11-2021, 12:09 PM   #8076
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Neo Piece doesn't get off to a bad start, just a meh one. But after repeated mehs and one bad, you realize it isn't the same series anymore. Kind of like Gurren-Lagann's first and second halfs. The tone is different, it gets repetitive, and there's a lot of stupid.

Why it's immediately noticeable is the arc immediately proceeding it was breathtaking. Following a great gale with a wet fart, you'll see, hear, and possibly smell a difference.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 12:42 AM   #8077
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Mega Dunsparce

I finished Shin No Nakama and it fixed some problems I had with the story and setting, but kind of showed that there was no budget and is kind of a lazy anime.

They early on introduced a random lottery every being has called the Blessing. Everyone gets one at birth and it influences your life. The main character's was The Guide, which allowed him to have a strong start and help friends with their blessings, but eventually lags behind as he can't become a master of any of his skills. His sister had The Hero blessing, which gave her the power to stop the Demon Lord, but this comes at the cost of her humanity as her humanity could stop her from her task. Thus she leaves her brother behind despite wanting to find him. We're later introduced to a boy who has the Bar Brawler blessing which drives him into fits of anger and lets him use improvised weapons with skill, like rocks, broken bottles, or bar stools.

While this works in a video game setting, Rance uses a similar one, it's not the best system for most stories as it feels like it takes away free will. Characters can't choose their job in life because they're influenced by the blessing and this could turn a kind boy into an angry drunk... AND THEY ADDRESS THIS! This becomes a rather large plot point as someone starts to peddle a drug that changes people's Blessing, but can make it worse.

Eventually, the Hero Ruti is introduced to this and she decides to take the drug so she can stop being the Hero and regain her humanity, then find her beloved brother. And it's kinda neat. But this obviously has consequences. The Hero's party wants her to continue her quest to drop the Demon Lord since this could end up sparing millions of lives from the demon army. Ruti finds her brother randomly, but their former party members attack them and try to get Ruti to becomes the Hero again and there's a bunch of fights...

And they look like shit. Earlier in the series we mostly see very short fights. I thought they were short to show that Red was a bit overleveled for the boonies he was living in. But later we see Rit basically do most of her fights as a jump kick into someone and it's pretty much a still frame of her foot in the person's torso with action lines around. Near the end we start seeing higher level fights, but they all look bad.

Red helps his sister lose her Hero blessing. He confesses to his live in girlfriend Rit. The other party members either die or accept Ruti's choice. I guess they're eventually dooming people to the Demon Lord, but God gave them free will I guess so whatever. *shrugs*

TLDR: Terrible animation, kinda messy overall.

Now the real show I've been watching this season has been Eighty Six and I have to say.... WHY THE FUCK ARE THE FINAL TWO EPISODES IN MARCH????!!!!!????

It has been a wonderfully animated war drama with great action, characters, setting, and plot. But in both seasons of the show, they kept delaying. Season 1 had only 11 episodes as opposed to the usual 12 or 13 most shows had. And now Season 2 had 10 episodes, two spot fills with the staff discussing the show, but clearly they were filling time because the episodes weren't done.

I'm so conflicted by this overall because we have this horrible worldwide pandemic that continues to dominate our lives and make schedules fall apart, but at the same time, having to wait three months to catch the ending of a show is awful. Like there was clearly a failure to properly schedule their work. And I also understand that the show could potentially not have had pushed itself back to later date because the station will need something to fill it and the latter season may have no available slots for a whole cour.

TLDR: Great show ruined by terrible scheduling.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 06:07 AM   #8078
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Why didn't Ruti kill the Demon King first before deciding to get her blessing changed? Seems pretty reckless and irresponsible and also out-of-character if the blessing really influences the brain as you suggest.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-31-2021, 06:32 PM   #8079
Loki

It's kind of like Ainz's emotional suppression, though there's no indication. She still has free will, but then she will change her mind back to the mission at hand. For example, when the Mage of the party expelled her brother from the party, she got mad and punched his whole right side off his body. Then she stopped and healed/revived him because of her heroic blessing. Deep down she disliked him and wanted to find her brother, but the hero blessing kept telling her to move forward with finding a way to kill the Demon King. When she learned of the drug, she immediately takes it and her blessing is suppressed enough to not stop her.

I also think it's rather foolish to basically allow the world to basically fall to the Demon King. They showed clear examples of the Hero saving nations from the Demon Army. But there's a lot of dumb stuff. They say something like, "Without the hero blessing, this allows someone else who wants to be the hero to becomes one rather than force someone who doesn't want to do it."

The system in general isn't fully explained beyond you're born with it and it influences your life choices, but people also have free will. We don't know the geography of the world and how the borders are done. We don't know the current activities of the Demon King and his armies as everything we have seen is in flashbacks. We don't even know the relation of the locations of those flashbacks compared to where the main character resides. We just know it's apparently on the frontier... but far from the frontlines.

I don't know if it came through in my previous post, I generally don't recommend it. The interesting factor of changing your blessing kind of messes with the overall world system and it's not fleshed out enough to know what is happening or will happen with everyone. People say that a world without a hero will lead to millions of humans dying fighting the Demon King, but we so rarely see the Demon Army we don't really get a feel for it. It feels very disconnected and we're only given the viewpoint of people who aren't affected by the war.

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha is a better story that runs off the Dragon Quest trope of Hero and Demon King with a very fleshed out world setting including world politics, world economics, religion, and humanity's relationship with the Demon Realm. While the anime is a tad dull at times, Shin No Nakama is really dull most of the time including it's horrible action scenes.
Old 01-11-2022, 03:15 PM   #8080
Loki

Mega Dunsparce

BORKED

Sabikui Bisco has a rather seasoned staff for such a new studio. The director did animation directing for FSN UBW and FSN Zero S1 and S2, the script is written buy the guy who wrote Cowboy Bebop and Durarara!!

Aside from that, this trailer is bonkers. And episode 1 was fairly tame lol. I looks like it will pick up, but episode 1 was all setup.

This will probably be the anime I try to keep update to date with. So much other stuff is trashy this season. Crap like World's End Harem, genderbent nohomo isekai, and two VRMMORPG isekais are all going into the Trash bin.

The BL anime this season looks like a wholesome Yuri anime though. Doubt I will watch, but Sasaki to Miyano might be worth someone's time.
Old 01-11-2022, 07:50 PM   #8081
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
genderbent nohomo isekai
I think this is Fabiniku. It's actually pretty cute and funny, and it's written-drawn by a husband-wife team.

That said I pretty much agree with you that there's a lot of trash. The sad part is that the anime have poor budgets so even if the source material is decent, it looks awful.

The trailer you posted...I don't agree it's bonkers. I saw the budget limitations in places and the bizarre events happening isn't enough to get me on board. But if it's good do tell me about it, lotso slim pickens these days.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-24-2022, 11:12 AM   #8082
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

In one of the biggest surprises of the 21st century, The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer is getting an anime adaptation, like 10 years after it finished. Producers are really are digging deeply for fresh content, huh?

This is what I said upon finishing the original, back on 03 March 2011:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Finished The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer. "Excellent" manga, but not one I could instantly recommend and have each recommendee love it unconditionally. It actually took a lot of of me to read it, I don't know why.
I basically feel the same If anything, my opinion has soured a bit since Spirit Circle was so much better. This would be like watching David Lynch's Dune or Tim Burton's Batman at the height of their directorial careers rather than near the start. Also, 100-Man no Inochi is something of a remake of TLaBH, but it's isekai and already had an anime airing snce like two or three years ago.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-09-2022, 09:26 PM   #8083
Loki

Last season:

Kaijin Kaihatsu-bu no Kuroitsu-san aka Miss Kuroitsu from the Monster Development Department
An anime that kind of mocks the horrible working conditions of the Japanese salaryman except Ms. Kuroitsu works for an evil organization to design monsters to fight superheroes with for world domination. Unfortunately between all the input from various departments, many of her creations end up less than perfect and fails to defeat the heroes.

I thought it was a nice lighthearted comedy about work life. There's many times where things at work feel terrible and insurmountable and this anime exaggerates it to the extreme.

Eighty Six (Final two episodes)
I'm still annoyed that it took them an additional three months to get these two done, but they were a proper conclusion to the series so I'm glad the show got to end with an ideally made episodes rather than some horrible final two episodes of Evangelion type scenario. This controversy will never affect anyone who watches the series after this point since all the episodes are done.

The show itself is great. We haven't recently had a great war mecha series that had us face topics like racism, dehumanization of a population, genocide, and also a soldier's pride and duty.

To Watch from last season:

Rust Eater Bisco (Need to finish)
From the first 8 episodes, I thought it was an interesting setting and nice world building, but the story was a little unfocused and lacked direction. I'll probably sit down soon and finish it.

Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru aka My Dress-Up Darling
Ousama Ranking aka Ranking of Kings
Heard a lot of good things about these series, but never sat down to watch.

This season:

Koi Wa Sekai Seifukju No Alto de aka Love After World Domination
Sentai anime where the Red Ranger tries to date the evil Villainess in secret.

Spy x Family
I've talked about the manga, the anime will hopefully be good.

Kaguya-sama S3
How many real world years before they finish three High School years?

Demon Girl Next Door S2
The first season was a cute parody of the magical girl trope from the perspective of a demon girl and her family's poor circumstances. I read the manga a bit and it should be more cute silly anime.
Old 04-10-2022, 12:56 AM   #8084
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Last season:

Kaijin Kaihatsu-bu no Kuroitsu-san aka Miss Kuroitsu from the Monster Development Department
An anime that kind of mocks the horrible working conditions of the Japanese salaryman except Ms. Kuroitsu works for an evil organization to design monsters to fight superheroes with for world domination. Unfortunately between all the input from various departments, many of her creations end up less than perfect and fails to defeat the heroes.

I thought it was a nice lighthearted comedy about work life. There's many times where things at work feel terrible and insurmountable and this anime exaggerates it to the extreme.
Picked up.

Quote:
Eighty Six (Final two episodes)
I'm still annoyed that it took them an additional three months to get these two done, but they were a proper conclusion to the series so I'm glad the show got to end with an ideally made episodes rather than some horrible final two episodes of Evangelion type scenario. This controversy will never affect anyone who watches the series after this point since all the episodes are done.

The show itself is great. We haven't recently had a great war mecha series that had us face topics like racism, dehumanization of a population, genocide, and also a soldier's pride and duty.
Could you elaborate on this series? I mean, while true there hasn't been a recent war mecha anime this kind of stuff is everywhere in Western media. Like Star Trek: Picard supposedly.

Bisque Doll is a prototypical teasing show from what I've heard. Kaguya has had production issues which is a good thing, nobody wants to see the S3 handled poorly like a lot of the isekai anime lately.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-11-2022, 08:40 PM   #8085
Loki

Eighty Six is like in future Europe-like setting. A nation develops a legion of AI tanks and they've gone berserk and are attacking everyone. The Republic of San Magnolia counters with their own mechanical tank battalions controlled by their advanced processors and has suffered no human fatalities in the many years of war.

Except the definition of human for San Magnolians only includes Albans- people with silver hair, purple eyes, and milk white skin. Everyone else has been removed from their 85 states and live outside, forced to pilot tanks to defend a nation they can't live in. These are the titular Eighty Six.

I don't want to go too much into the details because the show is strongest without knowing too many spoilers, but I enjoyed it. The only shows of recent with war are Legend of the Galactic Heroes- Die Neue These, which is more about the political aspects of war and focuses on the generals and commanders of the conflict rather than the individual soldiers. Death is less personal when whole fleets are wiped out, but Eighty Six can get very personal as we see each soldier and their reactions to the events of the fighting. It's like comparing watching the Iraq War from CNN broad to listening to a soldier describe his worst day of the war and the toll it's had on his body and mind, the comrades he lost, and the terrible situation they're thrown into because of bad decisions from high command or bad intelligence.
Old 04-13-2022, 05:48 AM   #8086
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I think Loki hit a home run with Miss Kuroitsu. What surprises me is that this many of the ingredients that would normally lead to "second-hand embarrassment" that I actively avoid, like social anxiety situations or the harem of cute girls in the main cast.

But for some reason, the show manages to be light-hearted enough to avoid any sense of cringe. I think my experience in the Marines helped a bit with the "gap-moe" of seeing a badarse-looking evil knight talk about HR-related matters like leave and sick pay.

Supposedly, the AT-X broadcast (SubsPlease release) is censored, according to the Nyaa comments. What exactly is being censored is anyone's guess. Are there cut scenes of Kuroitsu's naked breasts bookending the commercial breaks? Who knows!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-15-2022, 03:49 PM   #8087
Loki

I doubt there's an actual uncensored episode that actually aired anywhere, but Wolf Bete's birth has him naked. It feels like the episode had purposely censored with large Agastia logos, but this is Japan and they'll probably release an uncensored Blu-Ray. I'm sure all the horny weebs were mad, but I felt like the scene was funnier because of the censorship. It pushed the joke that Agastia is a moral and ethical company despite being in the business of world conquest.
Old 05-23-2022, 01:47 AM   #8088
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I started watching Spy x Family anime.

It's nicely animated and fun, but I think Yor/Yolanda is pretty overrated. Lloyd and Anya really carry the series.

Mahou Shoujo ni Akogarete

It took a decade, but we finally have something new-ish out of the magical girl genre. Soort of.

This is like some unholy fusion of Madoka, Revolutionary Girl Utena and Onani Master Kurosawa.

Plot: Middle schooler Hiiragi Utena lives in a city where magical girls are active. She looks up to them as role models. One day a black Kyuubei named Venalita appears and transforms her into scantily clad demon succubus, then threatens to expose her on social media if she doesn't fight the magical girls. Utena then realizes through battle that the source of her admiration was a sadistic desire to degrade, humiliate, and deflower the magical guardians of her city.

The story is pretty funny and with a lot of jabs at chuunibyou, magical girls and yuri in general. It's also pretty lurid but I don't care about that. Utena starts out reluctant but basically becomes Rance and corrupts the other girls into her sphere of perversion.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-29-2022, 11:48 PM   #8089
Loki

I don't know about others, but I personally think Yor is horribly underused rather than overrated. Loid is arguably the main character even among the three since he usually drives the plot forward since the whole scenario is part of his mission. Anya is the heart of the family and kind of the glue. She keeps the mission on track since she's opening the door for Loid to meet the head honcho (I forgot his title/rank). And Yor is kind of just comic relief. She's a bit aimless and we don't know enough about her to really give her anything other than her strength and her awkwardness.

The manga has given her a bit more recently, but she literally only just started her character growth and then it veered back to Loid. Hopefully they give her more to work with in the future.
Old 05-31-2022, 04:44 AM   #8090
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

For someone on the periphery, Yor is the face of Spy x Family because she's a coomable anime girl. Seeing this talk from the outside I figured the author was putting a lot of emphasis on fanservice with her and that's not the case at all (to the series betterment).

Yor not getting focus makes sense because the family hasn't gelled yet. If she was fully integrated I'd imagine we'd see Loyd waver much more quickly. I have a working hypothesis that this mission was intended by Loyd's bosses as his last before "retirement" i.e. Tasogare being officially KIA and Lloyd being able to live on under his assumed identity.

Similar to the would-be intention in the World's Greatest Assassin isekai except, not a trap.

Something else I've been thinking is that Anya is like 3 years old. Otherwise she is way too stupid for no reason other than to keep her broken powers in check.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-07-2022, 12:47 AM   #8091
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Berserk is coming back.

This is not a drill.

https://imgur.com/a/2O1VcSq
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-22-2022, 08:12 PM   #8092
Loki

Two new chapters of Berserk came out. While the art looks good, the framing is not up to Miura's skill... and I can't entirely fault the artist, Miura was an absolute master of it. He really knew how to use angles and framing to add a lot of energy and emotion to scenes. These images look fine individually, but it feels much less dynamic. Hopefully they get better over time.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:36 PM   #8093
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I still can't get over that Berserk came back from the dead. It outlived its creator. Not even Frankenstein's monster can claim that much, right?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-07-2022, 11:48 AM   #8094
Loki

Another chapter of [neo]Berserk. It really does feel like imitation. The designs are the same, but there's always something missing. It's really taken Berserk's amazing art and just put their characters into a normal comic. And considering the pace of these releases, we really see where Miura spent a lot of his time making the best chapters. A lot of the scenes just look dull by comparison to the original. I'll probably still read at least a few more chapters, but I don't think it will be as memorable as anything Miura put out and probably fall off my radar eventually. Which is a sad way for Berserk to end.
Old 07-08-2022, 12:00 AM   #8095
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So Kazuki Takahashi died and Shinzo Abe is near critical, possibly dead already (the media is just too chicken to admit it). Either way, today sucked.

Quote:
Another chapter of [neo]Berserk. It really does feel like imitation. The designs are the same, but there's always something missing. It's really taken Berserk's amazing art and just put their characters into a normal comic. And considering the pace of these releases, we really see where Miura spent a lot of his time making the best chapters. A lot of the scenes just look dull by comparison to the original. I'll probably still read at least a few more chapters, but I don't think it will be as memorable as anything Miura put out and probably fall off my radar eventually. Which is a sad way for Berserk to end.
That's premature. I'd give new Berserk several years before passing judgment on it. It'll take some time for the new comic to find its voice, even if it's telling the same story. Early Berserk is certainly different in pacing and tone than later Berserk, at least Millennium Falcon+. Griffith's appearance in the recent chapters serves to kind of shift that tone back towards the earlier chapters.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-24-2022, 01:13 PM   #8096
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Anyone care to explain what's the big deal with Lycoris Recoil?

It looks just like cute girls doing cute things.

The plot is nonsense and I understand quantum computing.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-30-2022, 07:24 PM   #8097
Loki

Mega Dunsparce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
It looks just like cute girls doing cute things.
I don't know the anime you speak of, but I think you answered your own question.
Old 09-30-2022, 08:31 PM   #8098
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

"Cute girls doing cute things" is a recipe for popularity with otaku, not "normies" as it were, who seem to be lapping up Lycoris Recoil like Donald Trump laps up media coverage from his criminal hobbies.

I only have a vague understanding of how the "normie-zoomer" mind works, but it looks to me they're attracted to brand names like Shounen Jump and Trigger, rather than specific authors or genres.

If that's the case, what does A-1 pictures offer for name recognition?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 10-01-2022 at 02:32 PM. Reason: spelling and punctuation
Old 09-30-2022, 09:30 PM   #8099
Loki

I think you overestimate your understanding of people. Shows like A Place Further Than The Universe and Yuru Camp along with to a lesser extent Kaguya-sama and Spy x Family, have been pushing the cute girl genre into the general audience without being creepy otaku shit for a while.
Old 10-01-2022, 08:59 PM   #8100
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So a pretty big controversy just ignited. Apparently, Chainsaw Man is going to be mostly animated using low-quality CGI animation. This is in stark contrast to the announcenent PV which was basically all hand-drawn.

This isn't the first time studio MAPPA did this, they did the same thing with Shingeki no Kyojin season 4, with mostly hand-animated trailer similar to Wit, but then tons of CGI in the actual show itself.

Normies don't really care? Well, we live in a world where The Lion King remake is considered "live action" when it's more appropriately termed photo-realistic. But I think actual anime fans are pretty disappointed.

It's an interesting practice and I wonder if it's for YouTube view baiting. One would think that's a huge waste of resources to simply scrap footage for a PV only to reanimate it with CGI. Why not just recut the PV material? You can still bait for views and also bait viewers of the actual show. Seems nonsensical.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime