UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Development

Old 04-26-2017, 02:57 PM   #1
Whimsy
Dance till you're dead~

Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsy
Updator Rewards

Ok so I myself have no knowledge of the old system but this is probably something we should get sorted out sooner rather than later.

What do people want out of updater rewards? What system should be put in place so that we give potential and undecided updators some motivation or reward for helping run the zones?

For reference, the old staff rewards thread can be found here
Whimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:38 PM   #2
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
I'm kind of surprised there has been no discussion on this, but I think there is two ways we can go about this. The first way is that we can keep the current shop system, in which on builds up points and then buys items with them. It works, and pretty much every RP has some sort of system like this. Not everyone is happy with the current values of items, and in addition there is talk on whether daycare passes should stack or not, so we'd need to discuss what the shop would have, what values etc.

The other system is a scaling point ladder. Essentially, instead of buying anything, what you do is you gather points and every milestone, you get a reward. I think this might actually be a better idea, because it comes from a game which has to incentivize people to play! Elect me as mod and if you send me 10 dollars on paypal you'll get a free Egg House pass. But the idea is that it requires less work and is more versatile in what you can give out. In addition, it allows for easy holiday events or even a monthly ladder in addition to a consistent cumulative ladder. An example of this would be F/GOs Meiji Ishin event.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:46 PM   #3
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
I feel the scaling system works best, as it helps cut down on the whole shop culture system that heavily skews for updaters. The current shop system and value on them as it stands right now is fucking stupid. ONe update of 300+ words (very easy to reach) is 50 points, which can be spent in the shop for...10 double daycare passes. That's completely and utterly unbalanced, and favours those updaters - which were in short supply - to make ridiculous gains on their pokemon. With 5 updates, someone can get a mon from level 1 to 100 just by buying and using DDPs in a scant TEN WEEKS.

Meanwhile, Emi's scaling ladder works well as it provides a steady reward for updaters regardless of their rate, while keeping to a system that doesn't just allow someone to hit the 'skip grind' button. It makes the updaters less pay-to-win.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:56 PM   #4
Emi

Sort of bluntly Raves I don't particularly care if updators actually do tend to be a little, or a lot, better off. They help the game run. They're the ones keeping FB going. We need updators to survive. I agree the daycare pass system was dumb, but consider ASB for a second. You need to ref to get extra squad slots. You need to ref to buy legend matches. You need to contribute to the community in order to get the most out of the game. It's more extreme obviously because ASB can have 50 refs and no shortage of battles. But complaining that the previous system made updators "pay to win" is horrifically short sighted. They should be rewarded for the effort they put in the game.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:09 PM   #5
Connor
Flashbacker

Calling updating pay to win is absurd. Pay to win implies so much that does not apply to the act of updating an online text based RP. Being very blunt you need to incentivise updating more - you admit yourself that there were few updaters before, so the advantages can't have been that obscene otherwise everyone would've been clambering for them.

Not to mention the main crux of your argument re: pass stacking is something which has already been bandied about as something we want to nix, so that kicks the rails out from under you immediately.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:48 PM   #6
myahoo
Soul Badge

See, this is what I'm wondering: if we make the Shiny Spray, Devolution Spray, and Custom Items available to the community, get rid of Egg House passes, nix the TCG passes and Base stuff...that leaves us with, what? The passes for shops that we're trying to move away from and that don't stack? Alright then.

I mean, this may come across as super unhelpful, but we might want to decide what's available for updators and how it compares to what's available to everyone else first?

Oh, also. Are we keeping a separate currency for staff or are they going to be earning their rewards in cash/coins?
myahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:23 PM   #7
Emi

Yeah I do want to keep things for staff only. You sort of have to.

Staff will have a separate currency.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:02 AM   #8
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

I could see a scaling option working. The question is - do we reward by update, by word count, or by some combination of both (for example, one update of at least 300 words is 10 points, with 2 additional points for every additional 100 words)?

So, here's a question I'd like to pose... Since the movement seems to be getting rid of egg house passes (and, in fact, the egg house in general), would eggs themselves be a potential updator reward?
Marion Ette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:12 AM   #9
Emi

I'm a fan of a combination, since we do want to give incentive people for putting in more work. Incentivize, not make it mandatory, is the key here. We might want to make the bonus a little small perhaps in order to make people feel like they're not terribly behind the 8-ball if they can't put out the same length updates as someone like you Marion. :p Since this is a good time to bring up this point, I would be all for the threshold to gain full points being 200 words instead of 300. I feel that's more reasonable and puts less stress on updators.

Quote:
So, here's a question I'd like to pose... Since the movement seems to be getting rid of egg house passes (and, in fact, the egg house in general), would eggs themselves be a potential updator reward?
Strictly speaking, if we do not get rid of the Egg House, giving eggs and giving egg passes are largely the same thing. But anyways, eggs and egg house passes if we keep them would be something I would consider putting in if we do a rolling points system instead of a shop. Egg House passes were pretty high priced in the staff shop and yet still made the majority of purchases, so I don't know if we can balance them in that respect. But as a reward I feel they are more balanced, in that they won't become the "main" item people get. But that's just me.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:30 PM   #10
Altocharizard55
The Scientist

Word count is an ungodly awful way to reward. Honestly put, I feel we could reasonably simplify to a per-update system. If updators are updating poorly/too-shortly/etc, that can be handled by the ZA on a case by case basis. If you want to reward high quality updates and the like, maybe try for an "updator/updators of the month" system. IMO it's a lot more rewarding to be formally recognized for being awesome! Also, word count is super arbitrary as far as I'm concerned.

I do like the scaling ladder idea!
Old 05-02-2017, 01:52 PM   #11
Emi

Updator of the Month might be a difficult idea to do in practice, because its difficult to get people to make a choice in the matter. But I'd be willing to try it in FB.

If we were to do a scaling reward system, it would be based purely on number of updates. Word count in my opinion is only something that should decide what we consider to be an update, such as 200 words or something.

I'm going to want to open this up to the community in the form of a formal vote soon, but I'll have to write a proposal of how exactly the scaling system will work.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:25 AM   #12
Emi

So I had an idea and considering that we have zones and updates happening, I made a small, temporary ladder to have a live trial with: essentially we're giving the chance for everyone to at least try this and see how the system works in practice.

Quote:
Update Rewards Ladder (Temporary)
This is to have a live test of the rewards ladder system, and this will cover Bedlam, Cortoza, PI, and the Easter Event. The way it works is very simple: 1 update = 1 Fizzy Credit. You build Fizzy credits and get better and better rewards!

1 FC = 1 Rare Candy
3 FC = 3 Mysterious Gummis
5 FC = 1 Rare Candy
10 FC = $500 Pokedollars
15 FC = 1 Flamethrower or Ice Beam or Thunderbolt TM
20 FC = 3 Rare Candies
25 FC = 5 Mysterious Gummis
30 FC = 1 Custom TM or Enigma Egg
35 FC = 1 Hyper Beam or Giga Impact TM
40 FC = 5 Rare Candies
45 FC = $500 Pokedollars
50 FC = Shiny Spray
I don't want to go ahead without some sort of blessing from the community on it.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:22 AM   #13
Nerd Violence
Sayonara Bye Bye

I'm fine with a trial run.

Meet me at
Spirit ★ World

!!!

Nerd Violence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:19 PM   #14
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Poping in to add a little idea I had in the past, but didn't get any track whatsover: We definitely have updator rewards, but what about shop owners? Sure, we don't spend a huge amount of time writing posts, but I think all of you agree that shop owners are still important and don't get much in return.

Should perhaps a shop owner rewards be implemented? Not something as big as the Updator Rewards (I mean like I just said, the job isn't as huge so it should be adjusted accordingly), but at least it makes a little "thank you" thing for shop owners to keep things up and running.

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:55 PM   #15
Emi

We will definitely consider SO rewards; the fact that the previous system didn't have anything for that is baffling to me. The mods and I don't have a proposal for it yet though, so if anyone wants to write one feel free.

I will be instating the temp ladder trial run asap. I haven't seen any opposition on it and the updators in Bedlam should be rewards for their effort. In addition, after some discussions among ourselves, updates in the Easter Event will not count for this ladder, nor any ladder should we implement a more permanent one.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:30 PM   #16
Nerd Violence
Sayonara Bye Bye

> don't spend huge amount of time writing updates
> over 100 Pokémon in AC in couple weeks

Lol

Okay, shitpost aside -- I'm grateful to hear that SO rewards are being considered! Oki is right, under normal circumstances out workload isn't going to be high, but it's still nice to be appreciated, even if it's something low-key like the occasional Rare Candy.

Meet me at
Spirit ★ World

!!!

Nerd Violence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #17
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
In addition, after some discussions among ourselves, updates in the Easter Event will not count for this ladder, nor any ladder should we implement a more permanent one.
I still think this is how we will do it even if replies are rewarded. Not sure about future events, particularly if we have members helping us...
Marion Ette is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Development