UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Wild Future > Johto > Olivewood Ocean

Old 01-09-2017, 12:09 AM   #1
Snorby
Snackin'

Machamp A Stale Man's Fresh Start

Max was by Ted's side as he grabbed all of his travel items and tossed them into his open bag. Along with the Trainer's Starter Kit Larry had the Pokemon League send him, Ted decided to bring along his eyeglasses and some pictures in a memory album: A picture of himself and Cindy when they were younger, one of himself, Machop, Ray, and his father from just before Ray left for the service, one of Isabella with her Pokemon, another of Isabella, this time as a baby, cradled in his arms, and lastly, a picture of himself, Machamp, Joel, Larry, and Ken from back in their service days. Ted closed his eyes and sighed as he put his little memory album into the backpack, recalling his life. His eyes briefly began to water, but he quickly dried his tears, lest Max see them and worry about him.

Moving around his cottage, he gathered up other memorabilia: Machamp's Friend Ball, broken and worthless, was clipped to his belt as a keepsake, and the fedora Ted's father had given to Ray which was then bestowed upon Ted himself once Ray was gone was placed gingerly atop his head. Then, he looked over his directions for Larry about how to run the Funeral Home. Ted sighed reading them over.

I can't think of anything else to say, but at the same time I don't think I'll ever have told him enough...

Shaking his concerns out of his head, Ted exited his room and ambled down the steps, putting Max into his Poke Ball as he did so. Finding Larry sitting on the sofa downstairs, Ted handed him the instructions he wrote. Larry stood up, knowing Ted was ready to leave, and hugged his old friend. Ted smiled and, with a hint of melancholy in his tired old eyes, returned the gesture.

"Well..." Larry began, "Guess it's time for you to get going, Teddy. Trust me, bud, this is gonna be good for you. Don't worry about the cemetery, either- I've got it covered, promise! I'm only fifty-one, and I'm in good enough shape to work as an undertaker. Besides, it'll be a nice change of pace. Now, get out there and go see the world with Max, like you always meant to."

Ted chuckled to himself. Larry was always a chatterbox. "Yeah, okay. Thanks, Larry. There's no way I'd be doing this if it wasn't for you."

Larry smirked. "Yeah, I know. If there was, you'd have left already. Now go!"

Ted rolled his eyes. "I'm working on it, relax. I just need to say goodbye to everyone." Ted gestured out the backdoor.

Larry grew quiet, his face solemn. "Oh, I understand. I won't bother you- go on. Good luck out there, Teddy. Don't be a stranger- it's still your house, after all."

Ted nodded. "Of course. But don't expect me very often. Thanks again. I'll see you around, try not to burn down my house while I'm gone."

He heard Larry snickering over his comment as he strode out the back door. Walking carefully down the steps into the yard, Ted soon came upon five headstones, with a space between two of them:

Lieutenant Raymond Oliver Vyse, Aged 29.

Rhonda Catherine Vyse, Aged 27.

Alexander Thomas Vyse, Aged 63.

---

Cynthia Annabelle Vyse, Aged 42.

Machamp Vyse, Aged 37.

Tears in his eyes, Ted bent down carefully placed a flower on each headstone, before speaking to his passed family members.

"I'm sorry, everyone, I won't be able to visit you every day anymore. Don't think I've forgotten you- I haven't. I'm just doing what Cindy always wanted me to do. I love you all, and I'll be back to visit again."

Wiping away his tears for the second time today, Ted silently scolded himself. If you keep bawling like a child every three minutes, you'll never make it out there. C'mon, act like serviceman you are.

Standing up, Ted left his backyard and started away from Olivine, releasing Max from his PokeBall as he did so. Together, the two of them walked confidently down the path away from their cottage, unsure when they'd return home again.

Click on Fawful for my ASB squad summary. Other links coming soon.

Last edited by Snorby; 01-09-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Snorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:06 AM   #2
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

With the funeral home left in the good hands of Larry, you depart your hubble cottage with Max at your side, the journey ahead full of possibilities. You head to the north east, the road is well traveled for the most part and there are plenty of other travelers on the road this morning. Most of them pay you little attention, some point and stare at Max while others just give you odd looks. You pay them little mind, they meant nothing to you and then opinions of you were meaningless. The further you travel the less populated the area becomes and you soon find the road border by trees on both sides. The leaves of the trees were a glistening golden colour, rays of sunlight sparkle as they shine through the morning dew, still heavy on the leaves.

You are walking peacefully along the road when you hear a woman sobbing in the distance. The crying gets louder as you get closer, eventually you see the source of the noise hunched over and holding her knees to her chest. A young woman, likely in her early twenties sits on a small exposed stump, her long blonde hair falls down over her shoulders. At her feet stands a small, purple, cat-like Pokemon which stands on its hind legs, while its forelegs embrace the woman's leg. Further inspection reveals a video camera and a microphone sitting on the ground behind the woman, was she some sort of reporter? She seemed quite upset, maybe there was something you could do to help her or maybe it wasn't your place to intrude.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:27 AM   #3
Snorby
Snackin'

Gruffly pushing passed fellow pedestrians on the path, Ted begins to make his way toward the Golden Lands. Once the hustle-bustle of Olivine's outskirts was behind him, Ted's initially tense figured relaxed slightly, happy to be alone with his Machop.

His peace and quiet didn't last long, however, for a few minutes later he heard a ghastly sobbing noise coming from down the trail. Bending down to scoop Max into his arms, Ted picked up the pace, wanting to find out what was going on.

After a minute or so, Ted tumbled upon a woman and her Pokemon sitting on a tree stump, the women crying with her head in her hands. Ted paused before he was noticed, considering his options.

Sheesh, that kid's crying up a storm. I hope she'll be okay... maybe I should check up on her. She looks a lot like Isabella, I suppose. Izzy's hair is a bit darker than that, though... I'm getting distracted. I guess I'll go see what's bothering this kid.

Shuffling up to the crying woman awkwardly, Ted tipped his fedora to her before speaking. He spoke quickly, trying to keep his naturally coarse voice polite and friendly.

"Hello, miss. Ted Vyse here. I'm guessing something's wrong- can I help you with it?"

Max snickered from Ted's arms as the old man stumbled over his words in a mish-mash of formal and casual language, causing Ted to give him an unnaturally tight hug as punishment as he looked down to the young woman, waiting for her to look up so he could search her gaze.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:26 AM   #4
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

You stumble over your words as you try to speak in a comforting tone, not wanting to make the situation any worse. The girl swiftly responds to your words, her head swinging up in surprise.

"Oh ah hello Ted", the girl wipes her nose on her arm, "I'm Jessica and this is Kitty my Purrloin." You look down at the little purple cat whose menacing eyes cut right through you. "I'm sorry if my crying disrupted you, its just I'm not exactly having the best of days." Before you can ask her what exactly has gone wrong, Jessica begins to openly vent all of her issues. "I was out here trying to film a demo tape for a reporting job I am applying for. My boyfriend, well ex-boyfriend Derek, was meant to be my camera man but he called me this morning and broke up with me!" Jessica begins to sob again, slurring her words somewhat. "I was meant to be trying to film some of the rare Pokemon that have been swarming around here lately. I tried to get Kitty to hold the camera but she isn't strong enough and she is too small to get the proper angle!" Jessica presses her head into her hands and begins balling her eyes out. "I sh should j j just go h h home and never leave again!"

Old 01-13-2017, 01:33 PM   #5
Snorby
Snackin'

Ted sighed with relief. Fortunately for him, the girl hadn't let on to noticing his awkward language, and her plight didn't bring up any painful memories for him. However, having had only a single relationship through his entire life that truly only ended when death did them part, he was unable to feel much empathy for the girl. Still, the old man felt he needed to say something to her.

"I see. Sorry to hear that, Jessica. Fret not, though. If the bastard went and dumped you, he probably wasn't worth your time in the long run anyhow. Besides, what is it they always say? There's other Seaking in the ocean? ...Well, it's something like that." Ted said, chuckling to himself at that last sentence before continuing.

"Anyway, if you need a cameraman, I can help you out. I've not quite yet decided my destination yet, so I've got nowhere to be. And if I don't, Max here doesn't, either. Of course, I don't know a great deal about what I'm supposed to do, so if it's anything much more complicated than pointing the camera at you or something else at the angles I'm directed to do so, I'll need a little guidance." Ted explained, gesturing to his starter.

Ted waited for the young woman to look up and respond. "So, how does that sound?"

Old 01-15-2017, 07:50 AM   #6
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

After a few reassuring words and an offer of aid, Jessica slowly overcomes her sobbing and once again wipes the tears from her face. "Thank you so much mister, Ted wasn't it? So as you might know, finding Pokemon in the wild nowadays isn't as easy as it used to be. A reliable source told me of a mysterious Pokemon living deeper in the forest, it leaves weird markings on the trees so we should know when we are close. As for working the camera, it is pretty simple. Just try and keep me in the center of the shot, keep it steady and try to stay quite so you don't ruin the take." Jessica stands up and takes the camera from her Purrloin. She presses a few buttons and then hands it to you. Jessica looks from side to side, trying to remember which way to head, "ahhh I think it is this way, follow me."

You follow Jessica as she leads you deeper into the forest. The tranquil forest is void of most sound, making it both peaceful and eerie. The pair of you and your Pokemon are wandering through the forest for close to an hour when Kitty begins to paw at a nearby tree. The pair of you make your way over to the tree and a quick inspection reveals strange lines carved into the bark. "Oh this looks my connection said to look for, we must be in that strange Pokemon's territory now. How do you think we go about finding it or drawing it out Ted?"
Old 04-05-2017, 08:03 AM   #7
Snorby
Snackin'

Having picked up the workings of the camera rather quickly and followed Jessica and her Purrloin into the woods where their target was supposed to be, Ted carefully examined his surroundings as the trio trekked through the forest. However, it was Purrloin who found a series of strange markings on the trunk of one of the trees.

Ted chuckled to himself, kneeling down and mussing up the fur on Purrloin's head. "Hey, good catch there, Kit!" he praised with his typical warmth for Pokemon. Hearing Jessica ask him what they should do, Ted stood up and looked to the young woman, scratching his chin thoughtfully.

"Hmmmph... well, do you know how common berries are around here? I have a few so we could use one to lure it in..." He shot an inquisitive look back at Jessica, hoping she'd have researched the forest before jumping into her "story".

Old 04-08-2017, 11:22 PM   #8
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

You ask Jessica for some background information on the area, initially she draws a blank. "Ahhh well I'm not sure exactly what sort of berries are found around here. I know the climate is quite arid and so I guess berries that like that environment would probably be more common. Some uncommon berries could probably lure out mysterious Pokemon."

Jessica looks around, then spots another set of markings on a nearby tree. "Ted look, there are more of those markings here! If we keep looking we might be able to find the area the Pokemon frequents, our lure would probably have a better chance of success then."

It seemed that you were slowly starting to get somewhere, now you just had to work out what sort of berries would entice the Pokemon into the open and locate the center of its territory. Suddenly you hear a howl in the distance, followed by another in reply. There were likely a number of hostile Pokemon within the forest and they had the home field advantage. Jessica begins to shake a bit as she reacts to the howls, "I should probably let you know that I'm not really a battler, Kitty might be able to help a bit but if we get ambushed I'm afraid you will be mostly on your own......."
Old 04-09-2017, 11:52 AM   #9
Snorby
Snackin'

Unperturbed by the call and response from local creatures, Ted chuckled slightly at the shaking girl. "Nothing to worry about, I assure you. Maxwell here might not be the strongest Machop in tow- Oof!" Ted was abruptly cut off by an elbow in the ribs from Maxwell. Grabbing the Machop out of his own arms and raising him up to eye level, Ted says. "Hey, what's the big idea, buddo? It's true, ya know. Don't get so worked up with it, you'll get stronger in time." Allowing the grousing Fighting-Type to settle back into his arms, Ted continued. "Anyway, like I was saying, Max here isn't the strongest out there, but I'm a veteran battler- use to battle using this guy's daddy all the time back in my navy days."

Ted paused, rubbing his chin thoughtfully. "Hmm... you said this was a very arid climate... Oh, I know! Max, could you get a Pecha Berry out of my bag for me, please?"

Max nodded begrudgingly, still somewhat sore over the slight to his strength. Scrambling up Ted's shoulder, he unzipped the backpack on his back, dug through its contents, and eventually pulled out a Berry Pouch. Gently opening it, Max pulled out a small, pink berry and placed it into Ted's open palm before closing the pounch, setting it back down in the pack, and zipping the pack back up.

"There we go! Thanks, buddy." Ted murmured fondly as the Machop scrambled back into his arms. Looking up, Ted once again began speaking to Jessica. "You said this is a very arid forest, yes? Well, I doubt we'll find a berry rarer than this one, then. Pecha Berries are said to thrive in wet climates, especially on islands. You don't exactly see many wet islands in the arid forests of mainland Johto. Now that we've got that sorted, let's keep following the trail of markings, shall we?"

Dropping the berry into his pocket, Ted prepared to continue following the trail.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:33 AM   #10
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

After producing the Pecha berry and settling on a plan, you work together with Jessica and Kitty as you fan out through the forest. You work your way from marking to marking, you notice that you seem to be heading towards the south east. Howls continue to ring through the forest, however their distance is confusing, at times sounding close only to sound further away moments later. You begin to find more and more of the markings, until every other tree is covered in the strange etchings.

"Hey, what is that?" Jessica points ahead through the trees, to something up ahead. You come out into a circular clearing, sitting in the middle is a large stone pillar. On closer inspection the pillar bears marks similar to those of the trees, however these ones seem much clearer and intricate. "Wow, that is pretty impressive", states Jessica as she makes her way around the pillar, "when I was researching the forest I didn't see mention of anything like this. Ted can I have that berry now? I think there is a fair chance this is where that mysterious Pokemon lives. Let's leave the berry here and take shelter in the trees, we might just get it on film."

Already having prepared to use the berry for this purpose, you hand it over to Jessica who places it at the base of the pillar. She then hurries you back into the trees where you all hunker down, the video camera resting on your shoulder as you wait patiently for signs of movement.

Almost an hour clocks by, you take turns switching the camera with Maxwell as it starts to pain your shoulder. Suddenly there is movement on the overside of the clearing, a strange looking Pokemon floats into view. The main portion of its body seems to be green and black, while its wings and tail are predominately yellow. However the weirdest aspect of the Pokemon is that it appears to have three eyes! Jessica struggles to contain her excitement as the Pokemon makes its way towards the Pecha berry. The berry suddenly floats up and off the ground as the Pokemon seems to use psychic abilities to lift it up. It begins to nibble away at the berry, you make sure to keep the camera focused on it as best you can.

The Pokemon finishes off the berry, but then the howls from earlier return, this time it is clear that they are close by. You are given confirmation as two canine Pokemon leap from between the trees, their black coats sporting bone like coverings on the back and head. They one lets out a spine tingling snarl at the mysterious Pokemon which is taken by surprise as a wave of dark energy washes over it. The other takes advantage of the ambush and leaps at the mysterious Pokemon, biting down hard on its tail and dragging it to the ground as it flails in pain.

"Oh my Arceus, that poor Pokemon", Jessica is shocked as she witnesses the brutish ambush. "Ted you have to help it, that isn't a fair fight! Don't worry about the footage, the Pokemon is more important."
Old 04-14-2017, 12:43 PM   #11
Snorby
Snackin'

After searching from marking to marking for a good while, Jessica decides they should put the berry near a massive stone pillar. Shrugging his shoulders, Ted hands her the berry, and the pair go to hide among the trees. Ted holds the camera for over an hour, but eventually passes it over to Maxwell, who'd been clamoring for a turn the whole time. Suddenly, the mysterious Pokemon they'd been looking for the whole time appeared! The large creature floated over to the berry, seemingly not using its wings at all. Upon seeing the exotic berry, the Pokemon's curious eyes became delighted, and it happily began scarfing down the berry. Taking the camera from Maxwell, Ted takes pains to get a good shot of the avian- close enough that you can see it clearly, but not so close as to leave some part of it out of the shot. As the Pokemon happily finishes off the berry, though, the howls from before erupt for the forest again, this time closer than ever. Suddenly, a pair of dark-type canines rush onto the scene, and begin ferociously attacking the poor avian Pokemon. Desperately wanting to help, Ted glances to Jessica, who assures him that he should go. Leaving the camera with her, Ted and Maxwell rush onto the scene. While the pair are certainly a little rusty in terms of battling, they feel confident they can win this fight. Maxwell looks to Ted for his marching orders, and the elder is happy to respond.

"Maxwell, we can't be wasting time. Karate Chop that bastard off of the poor Psychic-Type's tail. Then, just lie in wait. If something attacks you, give it a Low Kick to trip it up, but in any other case just get pumped up for the fight with a Focus Energy."

Happy to be fighting, Maxwell nodded eagerly before springing into action.

Last edited by Snorby; 04-18-2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:23 AM   #12
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Adrenaline flowing and happy to be back in your element, you leap into action with Maxwell by your side. You envy the young Machop, some young and full of vigor, you can feel the weight of many years holding you back but this was the first bit of action you had had in awhile. Quickly following orders, Max rushes the Houndour that currently has a hold of the mysterious Pokemon. A heroic glint in his eyes, Max lashes out at the Houndour with a sturdy open hand, karate chopping the dark type in the ribs. It yelps in pain, releasing the mysterious Pokemon in the process. As the mysterious Pokemon floats up towards the top of the stone pillar, the other Houndour rushes at Max. It attacks Max as it is fueled by rage, crashing into him for a light blow. Seeing its allie join the fight, the Houndour that Max attacked decides to join the attack on the Machop. Flaming embers erupt from its open maw, peppering Max's chest as he backpedals.

Not so inclined to be forced out of a fight, Max rushes back in, this time swiping a low kick at the second Houndour. You hear a sickening crunch as the Machop sweeps the Houndour's legs out from under it, knocking it onto its side. Its partner lets out a nasty howl, increasing its attack and becoming much more threatening. Scrambling to its feet, the Houndour that Max just knocked to the ground rises, looking even angrier than before. It seems it has also gained an attack boost, courtesy of Max strike it. It then leers at Max, causing the Machop to shrink back a little as his defense is dropped. From its aerial position, the mysterious Pokemon watches as Max is forced to fight a battle on two fronts. Even with a type advantage, having to deal with two opponents at the same time was no easy feat. Spurred by the courage of Max's actions, the mysterious Pokemon attempts to aid you. It whips its wings fiercely, generating a gust of wind that slams into the Houndour behind Max.

The two Houndour still seem to have plenty of fight in them, but with the mysterious Pokemon supporting Max, surely the Houndour will realize they are out matched before long.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:06 PM   #13
Snorby
Snackin'

Ted watches the battle closely and carefully, stepping out of the bushes to do so. He looks on unflinching as Maxwell gets attacked. Max may be young and inexperienced, but he was tough as nails when it came down to it and chock full of vigor. Ted had full confidence in him, though when the two Houndour ganged up on poor Max, Ted started to feel concerned; his little soldier was mighty, but this sort of foul play could be a serious, dangerous problem. His concerns are completely allayed, however, as soon as the mysterious Pokemon they wished to protect jumps into the fray, assisting Max. Ted shoots a grateful grin the mysterious Pokemon's way before turning back to the fight.

"Okay, Max. Leave the second one to our new friend- we'll have a little Mano a Mano with the other pooch. Wait for it to come toward you, then strike with a Low Kick as it does. If it keeps its distance, punish its cowardice with a clean Karate Chop. Finish up with a Karate Chop either way." Ted commanded calmly. His time in the military had left him perfectly equipped to handle sticky situations like this.

Max nodded eagerly, wanting revenge for attempting to fight two-against-one before, and jumped into action.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:21 PM   #14
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

The fight now much more favourable, you urge Max to show patience and wait for the right opportunity. The rage fueled Houndour rushes in once more, falling right into your ploy. Max lashes out with a low kick, buckling the Houndour's forelegs and sending it toppling into the dirt. Its partner isn't pleased with this and belches flaming embers at Max, the scalding fire peppers his chest as he moans in pain. The mysterious Pokemon responds to Max's pain, not happy to see its protector in peril. It whips up another gust of wind, smacking the Houndour who embered Max with a swift blow.

Both Houndour soon find themselves back on their feet and eager to attack once more. Standing side by side, the pair both snap their maws open at the same time as they send a wave of embers towards Max. The Machop crosses his arms in front of his face in attempt to shield himself but it does little to lessen the pain. To make matters worse, a burn forms across his left forearm which will likely cause him prolonged pain. Eager to lash out at those who hurt him, Max swings another powerful Karate Chop at one of the Houndour. The blow comes down square on the Houndour's head, smacking it into the ground as it lets out a pained welp. The mysterious Pokemon gathers a strange energy as it takes aim at the other Houndour. An orb of rock energy forms in front of it before it quickly fires it, nailing the Houndour in the ribs.

Having taken some tasty blows, the Houndour realize this fight just isn't worth it. They turn tail and run, soon disappearing into the forest. The mysterious Pokemon comes down and lands on Max's head, it seems to be quite friendly. With the danger gone, Jessica and Kitty make their way out of cover, Jessica carries the camera with her.

"Wow that was awesome! I tried to get some of it on camera, I don't think it is great quality but I might be able to use snippets of it. So Ted, what sort of Pokemon do you think this is? I have never seen one before, do you have a Pokedex or something? Also it seems Max has been burnt, I recall hearing that burns halve a Pokemon's attack stat. You might need to heal it incase we have to fight again."

Max gained one level!
Old 05-02-2017, 11:40 AM   #15
Snorby
Snackin'

Ted watched the battle unfold calmly and carefully, pleased to see the Houndour play right into Max's hands. While Ted cringed with empathy as poor Max got burned, his countenance quickly morphed into a delighted expression when he saw the Sigilyph pull off some sort of impressive Rock Type attack. Once the Houndour retreated, Ted immediately walked over to Max and scooped the Machop up in a proud hug.

"Damn, Max." Ted praised with the clear affection no one but a Pokemon could hope to receive from him, "you really taught those pissy pooches a lesson. If only your pop could see you now! Here, I grabbed a Rawst Berry out if the bag for ya; eat up, you earned it."

Max gleefully devoured the berry, basking in his trainer's praise, as Ted set him back down and turned to Sigilyph.
Careful not to frighten the poor thing, Ted outstretched his hand with a calm and reassuring smile.

"Hey there! Thanks a million for helping Max out back there. I hardly know what we'd have done without you."

Ted trailed off, hearing Jessica praising him and Max and suggesting Ted use a Pokedex to figure out what sort of Pokemon he was looking at.

"Huh? A pok- Oh! Great idea, Jessica. I forgot one of those came in the mail with the rest of the starter kit until just now." Ted responded while rummaging for it in his bag. "Here we are! Now, let's see what kind of Pokemon you are, big guy."

Sigilyph, the Avianoid Pokemon. The Pokedex chirped, Sigilyph are speculated to have protected ancient cities. To this day, they patrol the ruins of the city they protected.

Ted scratched his chin thoughtfully. "A Sigilyph, huh?
Interesting... You must be from one of those foreign swarms, is that right? I've certainly never seen anything like you before... Anyway, thanks again for the help, Sigilyph. Are you hurt? We can fix you right up if you are..."

Ted quietly eyed the mysterious Pokemon before him with interest as he waited for its reaction to his overtures.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:00 AM   #16
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

The wide eyed Sigilyph looks deep into your eyes, perhaps it saw something in you? Suddenly the hairs on your neck stand on end and a shiver runs down your spine. The Sigilyph certainly senses something as well, it takes off from its roost atop Max's head and heads towards the west at a steady pace.

"Ted did you feel that as well?" Jessica makes her way to your side, curious as to the source of the strange feeling. "We shouldn't let the Sigilyph get away just yet, we need more footage. Here take the camera and lets go." Jessica hands you the camera before pursuing the Sigilyph, Kitty and Max quickly follow her, as do you after a moment of thought.

You pursue the Psychic type through the forest, barely managing to keep track of it as it swerves effortlessly through the trees. Eventually it comes to a stop, right at the edge of another clearing. It now seems rather distressed, the reason for this apparent as you meet up with it. A small fire crackles in the clearing, seated around the fire a three burly looking men, a Pokemon at each of their sides. The smaller of the three, while still very large, has a cream coloured monkey like Pokemon sitting next to him. A quick Pokedex scan reveals it to be a Mankey, a fighting type Pokemon like Max. Moving onto the next of the three, you see a brown rodent sitting by his side, the Pokedex quickly reveals it to be a Patrat, a Normal type Pokemon. The last of the three men is by far the largest and the most intimidating. His black hair is shaved short, a similar length to the stumble on his face. Sitting next to him is a large insect, giant spike covered horns protrude from its head. According to the Pokedex it is a Pinsir, a Bug type Pokemon.

The three men looked well worn but experienced, confronting them head on would likely be a risk. You then notice a large metal crate that is shaking violently behind them, much to the grievance of one of the men.

"Why won't those things shut up already?!" The man with Mankey slams his fists into the log he is seated on, his Pokemon mimics the frustrated action.

"Boss, why are we still out here? We got what we came for shouldn't we just head back and look to off load them as soon as we can?" The man with the Patrat questions the obviously leader of the group, what exactly had they caught though?

"But we didn't get all that we came for did we Craig? No, you incompetent swine let that Sigilyph slip away, we are short on our order and you should know that isn't good enough. Daniel, if I hear you bitch one more time I will be keeping your share, you got it?"

Jessica tugs at your sleeve, "those three are poachers aren't they? What do you think they have in that crate? They have Pokemon as well, tough Pokemon by the looks of it. I don't think Kitty will be able to help you in this fight Ted and I'm afraid that would leave you outnumbered. Whatever is in the crate doesn't seem happy though, if we somehow got them free they might aid us, although there is also the chance that they bolt or turn on us. You're more experienced with these sort of things, how should we approach this?"

Old 05-04-2017, 09:33 PM   #17
Snorby
Snackin'

From the moment Sigilyph took off, Ted and Jessica pursued it. Ted started to have a feeling, as Sigilyph weaved through the trees, that it was leading them somewhere. His suspicions were confirmed when it led the pair and their Pokemon to a clearing where three men sat near a cage with their Pokemon. Immediately realizing the trio must be some sort of poachers, Ted began sizing them up.

Max could easily take the Patrat, and would be in a pretty fair fight against that Mankey, but the Pinsir could be trouble- and that's not even to mention the fact that they'd all be ganging up on him. Interrupting Ted's thoughts, Jessica quickly confirmed his assumption that Kitty would not be battling these more experienced Pokemon. We have to act, but poor Max would be completely overwhelmed by sheer numbers. At the same time, I'm confident we can rely on Sigilyph for help, which is a huge relief- a Flying type like it did well against both Mankey and Pinsir.

Nonetheless, they'd still be at a numbers disadvantage. To make matters worse, Max and Sigilyph couldn't possibly waste time trying to free the Pokemon in the cage; it would simply be far too dangerous. However...

Ted silently ushered Max, Jessica, Kitty, and Sigilyph closer to him. In a low, quick whisper, Ted told them his plan. First things first, Max, Sigilyph and himself would surprise attack the trio and get into a battle with them.
While the poachers were distracted with the battle, Kitty would use her species's innate stealth and deviousness to sneak undetected to the cage and attack the lock with something like Scratch or Fury Swipes until it broke in order to release the Pokemon trapped inside. If at any point Kitty was discovered, Max would prioritize protecting her until she could escape to safety with Jessica.

The entire time, Max was looking on dutifully, like a little soldier receiving orders from his commanding officer. Nonetheless, there was a hint of pride in his trainer in the eyes of the Machop. All his life, Ted had been crippled by the unbearable weight of his losses. Now that they had left home to travel, though, the older man seemed to finally be starting to feel comfortable in his own skin again.

When he was done going over the plan, Ted knew he could count on Max to listen to his orders. He was less sure, however, of the intentions of Sigilyph and Jessica. He turned to the latter first: "Jessica, are you okay with that?Under no circumstances will we allow Kitty to get hurt, but with whatever Pokemon is trapped in that cage still locked up, we'll do nothing but fight a losing battle. If the Pokemon gets released, either it will flee and the poachers will have nothing to keep fighting for, or else it'll join our side and turn the tides."

He then looked to Sigilyph. "I'm sorry to try and boss you around, Sigilyph.
I can tell this is important to you, though, and we need your help to free those other Pokemon."

He looked from the young woman to the Avianoid, hoping they'd both be willing to execute his plan, as he knew they could very well be running out of time for preparations.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:11 AM   #18
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

You quickly mull over a plan before discussing it with Jessica, who seems slightly worried but willing to place faith in your experience.

"If you think that is our best option than that's what we will do, right Kitty?" Jessica looks to her partner, the Purrloin raises her paw and flashes her nails violently. The dark type nods, knowing she would be able to move silently enough to avoid detection, although it would likely take a while for her to break through.

With Kitty and Jessica briefed on their roles, you turn to the Sigilyph, hoping it would be eager to help you. It clearly wishes to set the captured Pokemon free, for what reason is still unclear. Thankfully this is more than enough reason for it to join you in this fight, also feeling somewhat obligated to assist you after you came to its aid. It flaps its wings gently as it floats over to land on Max's head once more, signalling its willingness to follow your orders in this battle.

"Looks like we are all set Ted", urges Jessica as she gently strokes Kitty on the head, still a bit anxious about sending her Pokemon into the fray. "I will send Kitty out as soon as you get the attention of the poachers, be careful though, you are going to be outnumbered until we get the box open."
Old 05-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #19
Snorby
Snackin'

Ted smirked, now sure of their success with Jessica and Sigilyph on board. He knelt down so that he'd be eye level with Max and the Avianoid.

"Alright you two," Ted whispered, "This is gonna be a tough fight, but I think we can handle it. Max, I want you to immediately rush the Patrat with a Karate Chop and a Low Kick. Sigilyph, I'm sure you can direct yourself better than I can you. Just leave Patrat to Max and things'll go A-OK. I'd wish you two luck, but you won't need it. Now, go get 'em!"

Max's gaze was focused on Ted as he took in his orders. With a grin, the Machop pumped his fist, clearly ready to fight, before preparing for battle.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:56 AM   #20
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Leaping from cover with Max beside you and the Sigilyph floating above you, you start your assault on the band of poachers. You quickly draw their attention, initially they stand stunned, bewildered by the sudden assault. It allows you to quickly close the gap and Max gets a jump on the Patrat. A swing of his bulky forearm sends the Normal type skidding across the grass. Meanwhile the Sigilyph follows your offensive lead, whipping its wings together to send a powerful gust of wind slapping into the Mankey, driving it back as it attempts to come at Max.

"Who do you think you are old timer?" The leader addresses you, clearly furious about being ambushed. "We are simply carrying out business and you just jump us? That can't be allowed to stand. Let's show them why they shouldn't have messed with us boys! Pinsir Vice Grip and then Bind the Machop."

"Sure thing boss", Craig quickly acknowledges his boss before turning to his Patrat. "Get up now Patrat! Screech the Sigilyph and then jump up and Bite it.

Daniel follows suit, urging his Mankey onto the offensive. "Mankey, Focus Energy then Low Kick the Machop!"

Suddenly your opponents go onto the attack, starting with the boss's Pinsir. The large bug leaps over the fire and rushes towards Max. The Machop has little time to react as the Pinsir snaps at him with its giant spiked horns, clamping down on his torso with a vice like grip. The Patrat turns its attention to the Sigilyph and screeches wildly at it. The avianoid flaps wildly as it is harassed by the sound, its defense lowered in the process. Thankfully the Mankey doesn't go on the attack just yet, instead it takes time to focus its energy, however this could prove to be an issue as the battle unfolds. Out of the corner of your eye you see a purple blur as Kitty makes her way towards the crate which has begun to shake even more violently since the battle commenced.

As the Pinsir releases its grip on Max, the Machop books it over to the Patrat. A swift low kick sweeps it of its feet, the Normal type hits the ground with a hard thump and is clearly in pain from the repetitive super effective attacks. The Patrat gingerly pulls itself back to its feet, it's intimidating gaze lays fixed on the Sigilyph. It leaps up at the Sigilyph, just managing to gain enough height to bite down on the Psychic types tail. The Sigilyph cries out in pain, its lowered defense coupled with the super effective Dark typing of the attack cause it to take a large chunk of damage. As the Patrat lets go and drops back to the ground, the Mankey breaks its focus and rushes towards Max. As it approaches you notice the Sigilyph's eyes begin to glow with psychic energy. It locks eyes with the Mankey and hypnotic waves flow over it, manipulating the fighting types mind. With Patrat and Max standing so close to each other, it seems the Mankey is unsure of who is who. Convinced it has the right target, it lashes out with a Low Kick but the pained cry that follows doesn't come from Max. The Patrat finds itself on the wrong end of a critical hit from its own ally, courtesy of some clever hypnotic manipulation from Sigilyph.

"Oi you dumb ass! Control your Pokemon, what are you doing!?" Craig lashes out a Daniel, confused as to why the Mankey had attacked his Patrat.

You almost intend to celebrate but then the Pinsir rushes at Max once more. This time it gets hold of him from behind, wrapping its wiry arms around Max's chest. Max cries out as the Pinsir tightens its grip, squeezing the air from the Machop's lungs. Max's cry is somewhat helpful at least as Kitty begins scratching away at the lock on the crate, the ringing masked by Max's pain.

"Excellent work Pinsir, now Seismic Toss it. Then follow up with another Vice Grip. You idiots pull your heads in and take care of that Sigilyph, at least now we don't have to go looking for it."

"Right", mumbles Daniel, "Beat Up the Sigilyph and then Scratch it. Try not to hurt Patrat this time!"

Craig looks at his Patrat, who is already looking rather badly beaten, "harden up Patrat, Bite the Sigilyph twice!"
Old 05-29-2017, 10:36 PM   #21
Snorby
Snackin'

Ted snorted in disgust at the leader's outrage. "Hmph. You lot disgust me. Perfect example of why we need more military men in the world; just look at yourselves. Perfectly able men with no futures, no dignity, and no respect for the world around them. Pathetic. Y'all would have to be Marines anyway, I s'pose. The other branches require some form of smarts in yer head."

Ted looked on with interest as the battle unfolded before him. As he watched Max deftly battle his way through his assailant's attacks, he was impressed with the little guy for the umpteenth time. Real chip of the ol' block, that one. Ted thought to himself with a rare smile.

Ted was even more impressed, though, with Sigilyph. The Avianoid likely hadn't had a day of proper training, but it was battling with the brains and power of a very experience Pokemon. When it saved Max from Mankey's assault and redirected it to Patrat, Ted through the creature a genuine smile of gratitude, but this was shortly followed by a cringe of empathetic pain when Ted heard poor Max's screams. Glancing over to the cage, Ted realized that Max was over-exaggerating his own pain to cover for Kitty's scratches. Clever little bastard, he is. Ted thought to himself, Where the hell did he get that from?

Snapping out his own thoughts, Ted took the chance to give Max more orders. "Alright buddy. Give that Patrat a Karate Chop to slam it onto the ground, then scoop it up and throw it at the incoming Pinsir. See how the rat likes taking friendly fire from both allies. If it's still standing, end things with a Low Kick. If not, try and Bullet Punch that Pinsir right in the eye. Feel free to let out all your emotion, too." Ted ordered, winking to Max at the last line. He was confident Max would catch his drift and keep on screaming when Kitty needed him to.

With orders given and his spirits high, Ted gazed at the battlefield with intense curiosity.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:44 AM   #22
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

With Kitty desperately trying to break the lock of the box and Max currently in the clutches of the Pinsir, things weren't exactly looking in your favour. The one boon was the Sigilyph's skills, it was proving to be quite the capable fighter. Max struggles against the Pinsir, even his fighting type strength seems to be failing him. The Pinsir jumps into the air, pulling Max with it as it somersaults. It then hurls the Machop to the ground, Max cries out as the air is knocked from his lungs, landing next to the Patrat who quickly scurries out of harm's way. The Mankey suddenly begins to glisten with a dark aura, shadows resembling Pinsir and Patrat form next to it. The dark trio leap at Sigilyph and begin to beat the poor outnumbered avianoid. The Patrat prepares to join the fight which really puts the Psychic type at risk. Max is spurred to lend aid and quickly rushes the Patrat, swinging at it with another Karate Chop. The blow catches it on the back of the head, causing it to collapse face first into the dirt, unconscious. Tired of being beaten by these bullies, the Sigilyph whips up another gust of wind to push them back, the dark shadows fade while the Mankey is left wincing in pain.

The Pinsir targets Max once more, closing in with its nasty pincers spread and ready to strike. Max quickly grasps the unconscious Patrat by the tail and hurls it at the Pinsir, somewhat slowing its approach. Fist glistening with a metallic gleam, Max lashes out with a punch, striking with the speed of a bullet. He strikes the Pinsir right in the eye, throwing off its aim as it clamps down on Max's right arm with a vice-like grip. The Mankey is back of the front foot, violently scratching the retreating Sigilyph. It tries to blow the primate away with another Gust but its assault seems relentless this time. Suddenly you hear something shatter and two figures burst out of the metal crate. Two more Sigilyph, both slightly larger than the one you had found were now flying around frantically. They soon spot the Sigilyph being attacked by the Mankey and hone in on it. They both whip their wings together and send razors compressed wind slicing through the air. The attack cuts the Mankey down to size, it quickly topples over into the dirt, as unconscious as the Patrat. The Sigilyph you aided quickly ascends into the air to embrace those that had been freed, ripples of psychic energy flow from the reunited trio.

"You bastard!" The Boss shouts as he thrusts an arm in your direction, "those Sigilyph were mine, I trapped them fair and square!" His minions recall their Pokemon, leaving only the Pinsir who is still battling with Max. The three Sigilyph descend from the sky, coming to halt behind you. The numbers now rested clearly in your favour, but would you finish this through force or diplomacy?
Old 11-01-2017, 01:31 AM   #23
Snorby
Snackin'

Ted howled with laughter. "'fair and square'? Son, d'ya have even any idea what that means?" Regaining his composure, Ted crossed his arms and grunted. "Well, now that you had your fun and got yourself a proper clobbering, let's talk, shall we? I see that you bunch of ingrates are just about pissing yourselves at the thought of taking us on now that the numbers have shifted. I'm a nice fella, y'hear? So I'm gonna give ya two choices. Either you recall that Pinsir of yours and then the three of ya sit down against that tree over there, where I can see ya, until the police come, or else I'll just let these three Sigilyph get their well earned revenge."

Cracking his knuckles, Ted gave another laugh, "hell, I might be old, but you punks are so disgusting that I might just have to join them, take a swing at you myself. I'm sure it wouldn't take more than a half dozen punches to put you lot out for a good while."

Despite Max's predicament with Pinsir, he starts to snicker as his trainer reprimands the group of poachers. He'd always loved it when his trainer shredded folks... even when the only people around to shred were random passersby who made the mistake of getting too close to their yard.

The pair of them waited, with the trio of Sigilyph behind them, for the trio of thugs to respond.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Wild Future > Johto > Olivewood Ocean