UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 07-09-2016, 10:59 AM   #1
kingothestone
pots Fan Club President

Ho-oh The Combatants Cup: UPN Edition

Back before the Compacalyse of 2013, there was an idea. An idea to create a real, sports-style league for those interested in Pokémon. With one successful iteration taking place in the wasteland that was Serebii Comp, a decision was made to tweak things and introduce the tournament to the UPN community. As such I am proud to present:

The Combatants Cup: UPN Edition

Table of Contents:
1: Introduction
2: Rules
3: Signup Information
4: Draft Information & Results
5: Submitting Battles
6: In-Team Substitutions
7: Off-Team Substitutions
8: Substitute List:
9: Rosters
10: Schedule
11: Week 1
12: Week 2
13: Week 3
14: Week 4
15: Week 5
16: Week 6
17: Week 7
18: Playoffs Round 1 - Semifinals
19: All-Star Week
20: Finals
21: Regular Season Records
22: Regular Season Awards
23: Championship Presentation

This will run as a team-style tournament, but teams will not be submitted by the participants. There have been assigned 6 Team Captains, who will draft teams of 5 (including the captains) once the signup period ends.

The tournament, as a team style tournament, will run in a round-robin format. This means that each team will play every other team once, followed by a 4-team playoff. Each match will consist of a best-of-3 series of RANDBATS! Lineups will be submitted by the captains prior to week 1 and will rotate throughout the tournament. This ensures that all participants will have a chance to participate, instead of having one or two players sitting the bench for the whole tournament and thus defeating the entire reason that they signed up. Upon completion of the round robin format we will enter a 4-team playoff to decide the final champion.

Oh, it's also important to note that the almighty Jerichi has approved ASB/WF prizes! The members of the winning team will be awarded their choice of either 5 SP or 2 Shards, whichever they prefer!

Finally, we have a Discord Server set up for this (Huge thanks to Apollo for doing most of the heavy lifting with that). The server can be found here

I've selected 7 captains from the UPN community. If we get enough participants, I'll be adding more teams so as to ensure as many people as possible get to join in the fun.

The team captains are as follows.

The Lilycove Jetstream, captained by the leader of Team Instinct, Sparkbeat!

The Canalave Nightstalkers, captained by the big bully himself, Snorby!

The Celestic Archfiends, captained by the resident Yu-Gi-Oh fanatic, Emi!

The Accumula Wisps, captained by everyone's favorite edgy roleplayer, Lil'twick!

The Mahogany Marauders, captained by Poignant Lyrics Cibbir Piggy Ima_Penguin_95 That one Brit, Connor!

The Cianwood Brawlers, captained by the original Hax God, Apollo77!

The Floaroma Honeybees, captained by the owner of the art shack, Extroph!

The Pallet Pipsqueaks, captained by the child prodigy, Mew the Gato!

RULES:
1: Matches are XY Randbats. All Smogon rules apply. No exceptions.
2: All battles are to be done via PS.
3: Individual matches are Best Of 3. Not Best Of 1. Not Best Of 5. Best Of 3.
4: Do not troll or flame. If you do so, I have absolutely no qualms about kicking you out of the tournament and bringing in a substitute.
5: If you are going to be inactive for a portion of a week when you are supposed to be battling, it is your responsibility to send both your captain and me a PRIVATE MESSAGE stating so.
6: You are expected to contact your opponent via vm or pm. Do not wait on Discord waiting for an opponent to show up. Time zone differences are not an excuse. Set up a time to battle.

REGISTRATION
If you wish to sign up for the tournament, please fill out the following form (What, you didn't think you could get through this without a form, did you?) and post it as a reply to this thread:

Code:
UPN username: 
Timezone: (GMT format - can be found at the bottom of the page)
I hereby acknowledge the fact that I am under no circumstances guaranteed to be on any specific team. I also agree to being a substitute if I am not selected for a team. 
I do recognize the fact that, If I am selected for a team, I will participate in no fewer than 2 battles throughout the course of the tournament.
The signup phase for the tournament will continue until 12:01 AM GMT -4 on July 25th. If the number of desired potential signups exceeds that number, we will include more teams in the tournament and increase the overall length of the tournament.

Please be aware that, as of the current set-up, this tournament will last approximately 2 months.

Art credit obviously goes to Extroph. Because who else could make things this excellent?

Last edited by kingothestone; 09-26-2016 at 08:18 AM.
kingothestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #2
kingothestone
pots Fan Club President

Draft Order & Results
Below is the order for the draft:

1: Accumula Wisps
2: Celestic Archfiends
3: Mahogany Marauders
4: Floaroma Honeybees
5: Pallet Pipsqueaks
6: Lilycove Jetstream
7: Canalave Nightstalkers
8: Cianwood Brawlers

The draft will be held on our discord server at 1:00 GMT -4 tomorrow, Friday the 22nd. We will utilize a standard snake draft. this means that, in the first round of picks, team 1 will pick first, and team 8 will pick last. then, in the second round, the order will be reversed. This will continue until all the participants have been chosen. Each Captain will have 3 minutes to make a pick (they will be pinged at the 1 and 2 minute marks) before a player is selected for them, at random, and the pick goes to the next captain in line. All captains agreed to the 1:00 start time in advance, so hopefully this won't be an issue.

The first two rounds of the draft will be open to public viewing. The second and third rounds will be closed to the public eye to avoid any hard feelings. Come the end of the draft, captains will have 24 hours to submit a lineup for weeks 1-5. For Clarity, we are utilizing rotating lineups to ensure that everyone has a chance to participate. If I do not have a lineup from you by then, your lineup will be randomized. I will not accept lineups via any form other than a private message. To clarify, you submit 1 lineup, and it rotates through over the course of 5 weeks. in the first week, spots 1 2 and 3 start. in week 2, spots 2 3 & 4, then 3 4 & 5, then 4 5 & 1, then 5 1 & 2.

Below are the results for rounds 1 and 2 of the draft.

- Wisps Daisy
- Archfiends Talon
- Marauders Phoopes
- Honeybees TrainerChris
- Pipsqueaks Miror
- Jetstream Beautiful Savage
- Nightstalkers Crys
- Brawlers Ger
- Brawlers Celebi
- Nightstalkers Eliteknight
- Jetstream KamenAeons
- Pipsqueaks Altocharizard55
- Honeybees RealMrGame10
- Marauders Lanturn
- Archfiends DaveTheFishGuy
- Wisps rotomotorz

Last edited by kingothestone; 07-23-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #3
kingothestone
pots Fan Club President

SUBMITTING BATTLES:
In the interest of keeping things orderly, I need you all to use very simple forms when submitting battles. They are found below.
Code:
My Team:
Opponent's UPN Username:
Opponent's Team:
Battle 1 ( w/l/d; score):
Battle 2 ( w/l/d; score):
Battle 3 ( w/l/d; score):
Both players should either post the form or quote their opponents post in order to confirm. If there is no form, then in my mind, the battle never happened. It's pretty straightforward.
In-Team Substitutions:
An In-Team Substitution may only be made if:
a) The player in question has been inactive on UPN for 4 consecutive days AND has not informed me that they would be missing for that time.
b) The player in question has sent their captain and me a PRIVATE MESSAGE stating that they will be unable to battle during the week in question. A screenshot of the PM must be provided.
c) The player in question has been active on UPN, but has made no effort to contact their opponent for 5 days.

Off-Team Substitutions:
An Off-Team Substitution may only be made if:
a) The player in question has been inactive on UPN for 11 consecutive days and has not informed me that they would be missing for that time.
b) The player in question has been subbed out for 2 consecutive weeks.
c) The player in question has sent either their captain or me a PRIVATE MESSAGE stating their intent to quit the tournament. A screenshot of the PM must be provided.
d) A player has been removed from the tournament due to flaming and/or trolling.

An Off-Team Substitution will be performed in the following manner:
The substitutes will be broken into groups of 2-4 (depending on the number of subs) by a Random Number Generator. The Team Captain will choose a group WITHOUT knowing who is in said group. They will then have the choice of one of the players in that group.

Substitute List:
The following is the list of substitutes. If you wish to become a substitute, send me a PM or VM saying so.
Lucario188
Sneaze
Aposteriori

ROSTERS
With 8 teams, we will have 2 divisions. At the end of the regular season (the round robin portion) the two teams from each division with the best records will move on to a bracket-style playoff.
Below you will find the rosters of each team. Once edited into the OPs, each name will be linked to the profile page of each player

The ASB Division: The Accumula Wisps, the Celestic Archfiends, the Mahogany Marauders and the Cianwood Brawlers
Spoiler: show

Lil'twick
Coolz8
DaisyInari
DarkLucarioADV
rotomotorz

Emi
DaveTheFishGuy
Goose
Talon87
Tyoyo3131

Connor
Lucario188
Phoopes
Trot Away
Lanturn

Apollo77
Ger
Heather
Celebi151
TheKnightsFury

The WF Division: The Lilycove Jetstream, The Floaroma Honeybees, the Pallet Pipsqueaks and the Canalave Nightstalkers

Sparkbeat
HeroicRein
Beautiful Savage
KamenAeons
dirkac

Extroph
TrainerChris
Naruxami
ironthunder
RealMrGame10

Mew the Gato
AltoCharizard55
Miror
uhhhh
Machamp-X

Snorby
Eliteknight
biggggg5
Crys
Deh74

Schedule:

Below you will find the schedule for the regular season.

Week 1

Week 1 matchups are below:

[0] Mahogany Marauders vs. Cianwood Brawlers [3]
[0] Trot Away V. Apollo77 (2-0, 4-0) [2]
Concept V. TheKnightsFury [ACTIVITY]
[1] (2-0) Connor V. Celebi151 (1-0, 1-0) [2]

[2] Celestic Archfiends vs. Floaroma Honeybees [1]
[1] (5-0) Emi V. Naruxami (1-0, 4-0) [2]
[2] (4-0, 5-0) Tyoyo3131 V. ironthunder [0]
[2] (2-0, 2-0) Talon87 V. TrainerChris (3-1) [1]

[3] Lilycove Jetstream vs. Acumula Wisps [0]
[2] (1-0, 2-0) HeroicRein V. Rotomotorz (3-0) [1]
[2] (3-0, 4-0) Beautiful Savage V. DarkLucarioADV (1-0) [1]
[2] (4-0, 2-0) Sparkbeat V. Lil'twick [0]

[1] Pallet Pipsqueaks vs. Canalave Nightstalkers [2]
[2] (3-0, 3-0) Miror V. Snorby [0]
[0] Machamp-X V. Crys (2-0, 6-0) [2]
[0] Mew The Gato V. Eliteknight (1-0, 3-0) [2]

Week 1 will, of course, last for 1 week. This round will end at 12:01 AM (GMT -4 / Eastern Standard Time) on Sunday, July 31st. There will be no exceptions, and no extensions.

Week 2:

[3] Floaroma Honeybees vs. Mahogany Marauders [0]
[2] (6-0, 3-0) Ironthunder V. Phoopes (6-0) [1]
[2] (2-0, 3-0) TrainerChris V. Connor (2-0) [1]
[2] (3-0, 2-0) Extroph V. Lanturn [0]

[2] Acumula Wisps vs. Cianwood Brawlers [1]
[1] (1-0) DarkLucarioADV V. TheKnightsFury (2-0, 1-0) [2]
[2] (4-0, 3-0) Lil’twick V. Celebi151 (1-0) [1]
[2] (4-0, 3-0) DaisyInari V. ger (1-0) [1]

[1] Canalave Nightstalkers vs. Celestic Archfiends [2]
[2] (2-0, 3-0) Crys V. Tyoyo31 (2-1) [1]
[0] Eliteknight V. Talon87 (1-0, 3-0) [2]
[0] biggggg5 V. DaveTheFishGuy (2-0,2-0) [2]

[2] Pallet Pipsqueaks vs. Lilycove Jetstream [1]
[2] (1-0, 2-0) Machamp-X V. Beautiful Savage [0]
[2] (4-0, 1-0) Mew The Gato V. Sparkbeat (1-0) [1]
[0] Uhhhhh V. KamenAeons (1-0, 4-0) [2]

Week 2 will, of course, last for 1 week. This round will end at 12:01 AM (GMT -4 / Eastern Standard Time) on Saturday, August 6th. There will be no exceptions, and no extensions.

Week 3

Here are the matchups for Week 3:

[1] Mahogany Marauders vs. Acumula Wisps [2]
[1] (2-0) Connor V. Lil’twick (3-0, 1-0) [2]
[0] Lanturn V. DaisyInari (1-0, 1-0) [2]
[Coin Flip] (2-0) Phoopes V. Coolz8

[1] Floaroma Honeybees vs. Canalave Nightstalkers [2]
[2] (3-0, 2-0) TrainerChris V. Eliteknight (1-0) [1]
[0] Extroph V. biggggg5 (2-0, 3-0) [2]
[0] RealMrGame10 V. Deh74 (1-0, 1-0) [2]

[1] Cianwood Brawlers vs. Pallet Pipsqueaks [2]
[2] (2-0, 3-0) Celebi151 V. Mew The Gato (3-0) [1]
[1] (2-0) ger V. Uhhhhh (5-0, 5-0) [2]
[1] (4-0) Heather V. AltoCharizard55 (5-0, 4-0) [2]

[1] Celestic Archfiends vs. Lilycove Jetstream [2]
[1] (2-0) Talon87 V. Sparkbeat (3-0, 2-0) [2]
[2] (2-0, 2-0) DaveTheFishGuy V. KamenAeons [0]
Goose V. dirkac (2-1) [Coin Flip]

Week 3 will, of course, last for 1 week. This round will end at 12:01 AM (GMT -4 / Eastern Standard Time) on Saturday, August 13th. There will be no exceptions, and no extensions.

----------

Week 4:

Here are the matchups for Week 4:

[2] Canalave Nightstalkers vs. Mahogany Marauders [1]
[Activity]Bigggg5 V. Lanturn
[0] Deh74 V. Connor (2-0, 4-0) [2]
[2] (5-0, 6-3) Snorby V. Trot Away [0]

[1] Pallet Pipsqueaks vs. Acumula Wisps [2]
[0] Uhhhhh V. DaisyInari (2-0, 2-0) [2]
[2] (4-0, 1-0) AltoCharizard55 V. Coolz8 [0]
[1] (1-0) Miror V. rotomotorz (2-0, 3-0) [2]

[2] Lilycove Jetstream vs. Floaroma Honeybees [1]
[1] (5-0) KamenAeons V. Extroph (4-0, 4-0) [2]
[2] (2-0, 1-0) dirkac V. RealMrGame10 (4-0) [1]
[2] (1-0, 3-0) SilverChiko V. Naruxami [0]

[0] Celestic Archfiends vs. Cianwood Brawlers [3]
[1] (2-0) DaveTheFishGuy V. Ger (3-0, 6-0) [2]
[0] Goose V. Heather (2-0, 4-0) [2]
[0] Emi V. Apollo77 (1-0, 6-0) [2]

Week 4 will, of course, last for 1 week. This round will end at 12:01 AM (GMT -4 / Eastern Standard Time) on Sunday, August 21st. There will be no exceptions, and no extensions.

-----------

Week 5

Here are the matchups for Week 5:

[1] Mahogany Marauders vs. Pallet Pipsqueaks [2]
Phoopes V. AltoCharizard55 [Activity]
Trot Away V. Miror [Coin Flip]
[2] (2-0, 1-0) Connor V. Machamp-X [0]

[0] Canalave Nightstalkers vs. Lilycove Jetstream [3]
[0] Deh74 V. KamenAeons (2-0, 5-0) [2]
[0] Snorby V. HeroicRein (3-0, 5-3) [2]
[1] (2-0) Crys V. Sparkbeat (0-0, 1-0) [2]

[3] Accumula Wisps vs. Celestic Archfiends [0]
[2] (4-0, 2-0) Coolz8 V. Goose (3-0) [1]
[2] (3-0, 2-0) rotomotorz V. Emi (2-0) [1]
[2] (4-0, 2-0) DarkLucarioADV V. Tyoyo3131 (1-0) [1]

[2] Floaroma Honeybees vs. Cianwood Brawlers [1]
[2] (2-0, 1-0) RealMrGame10 V. Heather [0]
[0] Naruxami V. Apollo77 (3-0, 2-0) [2]
[2] (2-0, 1-0) Ironthunder V. TheKnightsFury (2-0) [1]

Week 5 will, of course, last for 1 week. This round will end at 12:01 AM (GMT -4 / Eastern Standard Time) on Sunday, August 27th. There will be no exceptions, and no extensions.

-----------

week 6

Here are the matchups for Week 6:

[2] Lilycove Jetstream vs. Mahogany Marauders [1]
[1] (2-0) Sparkbeat V. Connor (6-0, 2-0) [2]
[2] (5-0, 4-0) Beautiful Savage V. Lucario188 [0]
[Activity] Heroicrein V. Phoopes

[2] Celestic Archfiends vs. Pallet Pipsqueaks [1]
[2] (3-0, 3-0) Emi V. AltoCharizard55 [0]
[2] (5-0, 1-0) Talon87 V. Miror [0]
[0] DaveTheFishGuy V. Mew The Gato (3-0, 2-0) [2]

[1] Cianwood Brawlers vs. Canalave Nightstalkers [2]
[0] Ger V. Eliteknight (4-0, 2-0) [2]
[1] (3-0) Celebii151 V. Crys (1-0, 4-0) [2]
[2] (2-0, 2-0) Apollo V. Snorby (3-0) [1]

[0] Floaroma Honeybees vs. Accumula Wisps [3]
[0] Extroph V. Lil’twick (2-0, 2-0) [2]
TrainerChris V. Daisy [Activity]
[1] (2-0) IronThunder V. DarkLucarioADV (1-0, 1-0) [2]

Week 6 will, of course, last for 1 week. This round will end at 12:01 AM (GMT -4 / Eastern Standard Time) on Sunday, September 4th. There will be no exceptions, and no extensions. Week 7 lineups are also due from the captains at the same time. If a lineup has not been received for week 7 by the deadline, the lineup will be randomized by me.

--------------

Week 7

Here are the matchups for Week 7, the final week of the regular season:

[0] Mahogany Marauders vs. Celestic Archfiends [3]
[0] Connor V. Talon87 (2-0, 3-0) [2]
[0] Lucario188 V. DaveTheFishGuy (4-0, 2-0) [2]
[1] (1-0) Lanturn V. Emi (4-0, 3-0) [2]

[1] Lilycove Jetstream vs. Cianwood Brawlers [2]
[2] (1-0, 3-0) Sparkbeat V. Ger [0]
[0] Beautiful Savage V. Celebii151 (2-0, 1-0) [2]
[1] (5-0) HeroicRein V. Apollo77 (3-0, 5-0) [2]

[2] Pallet Pipsqueaks vs. Floaroma Honeybees [1]
[Activity] AltoCharizard55 V. Naruxami
[0] Uhhhhh V. TrainerChris (1-0, 3-0) [2]
[2] (4-2, 1-0) Machamp-X V. RealMrGame10 [0]

[2] Canalave Nightstalkers vs. Accumula Wisps [1]
[2] (3-0, 5-0) Eliteknight V. Rotomotorz [0]
Crys V. DaisyInari [Activity]
[2] (2-0, 3-0) Snorby V. Lil’twick [0]

Week 7 will, of course, last for 1 week. This round will end at 12:01 AM (GMT -4 / Eastern Standard Time) on Sunday, September 11th. There will be no exceptions, and no extensions. Playoff teams will receive PMs from me regarding lineup requirements as they clinch spots.

------------
Playoffs Round 1 - Semifinals

And so we finally reach the playoffs. From the ASB division, we have the DIVISION CHAMPION Accumula Wisps and the Runner Up Celestic Archfiends. From the WF division, we have the DIVISION CHAMPION Lilycove Jetstream and the Runner Up Canalave Nightstalkers. Unfortunately, the season is now over for the other 4 teams, but I do hope you had fun, and be sure to stay tuned over the next few weeks as we will be announcing some awards including regular season MVP and Comeback Player of the year.
In the first round of the playoffs, the division champion of each division will go up against the runner up of the other division. So the Wisps will face off against the Nightstalkers, and the Jetstream will go up against the Archfiends. Below are the matchups for the week:

[1] Lilycove Jetstream vs. Celestic Archfiends [2]
[0] Beautiful Savage V. Talon87 (1-0, 5-0) [2]
[2] (2-0, 5-0) Sparkbeat V. DaveTheFishGuy [0]
[1] (3-0) KamenAeons V. Emi (3-0, 5-0) [2]

[2] Canalave Nightstalkers vs. Accumula Wisps [0]
[2] (1-0, 2-0) Eliteknight V. Rotomotorz (1-0) [1]
Crys V. DaisyInari
[2] (1-0, 2-0) Snorby V. Lil’twick (3-0) [1]

Round 1 of the playoffs will, of course, last for 1 week. This round will end at 12:01 AM (GMT -4 / Eastern Standard Time) on Sunday, September 18th. There will be no exceptions, and no extensions. Playoff teams will receive PMs from me regarding lineup requirements as they advance to the nect round.

----------

All-Star Week

So the finals of the inaugural UPN TCC will be the Celestic Archfiends vs the Canalave Nightstalkers. Before we get to that, though, we have a highly requested shindig for those who missed out to prove their worth one last time. I give you:

TCC: ALLSTARS

Our 8 captains voted and selected one player from each team, with their votes encompassing 80% of the final decision, and a vote from yours truly accounting for the final 20%. Captains were instructed to base their votes off of individual records, strength of schedule, and impact on team success. The 5th player from each team was decided based on the player from each division that had the most votes without claiming an all-star spot initially. In no particular order, the matchups are as follow:
[3] ASB Division vs. WF Division [2]
[0] V. (2-0, 4-0) [2]

[2] (2-0, 1-0) V. [0]

[1] (2-0) V. (6-0, 1-0) [2]

[2] (4-0, 2-0) V. [0]

[2] (3-0, 2-0) V. [0]

Since the AllStar matchups aren’t integral to the tournament, the round will end at 12:01 AM GMT -4 on THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 22ND. That’s 4 days to complete your match. At that point, we will move on to the finals. I will also be using this “week” to dole out some individual awards for the season.

----------

Finals

It all comes down to this, then. After a pair of upsets in the Semifinals, we head into the championship bout with two 2nd-seed teams facing off. Here you have it, the Finals of the Inaugural Combatants Cup!

Canalave Nightstalkers vs. Celestic Archfiends
[0] Eliteknight V. Emi (2-0, 1-0) [2]
[b][2] (4-0, 4-0) Snorby[b] V. DaveTheFishGuy [0]
[2] (3-0, 1-0) Biggggg5 V. Talon87 [0]

The Finals will, of course, last for 1 week. This round will end at 12:01 AM (GMT -4 / Eastern Standard Time) on Friday, September 30th. There will be no exceptions, and no extensions.

Good luck!

----------

Regular Season Records

Below you will find the division standings. Remember, the top 2 teams from each division make the playoffs!

x - clinched playoff berth
y - clinched division
z - clinched division and best record in league

-----------

Regular Season Awards

The first of our 4 awards is designed to honor the late-round (3 or 4) pick, or the underdog, if you will, that exceeded all expectations and stormed the gates, helping to propel his/her team to victory and success. Out of the 17 possible candidates, only a few stood out. Our winner boasts a 3-1 record coupled with an activity win, all of which proved essential in his team making the playoffs, especially with the second place team looming ever closer in the final weeks. Without further ado, I give you the 2016 Underdog Award winner:

---

Next on the award circuit we have the award for "Comeback Player of the Year". This award was designed to give credit to those more experienced players who have long since stepped away from the competitive pokemon scene. Some top candidates for this award included, but were not limited to, Connor, Snorby, Apollo77 and, of course, everyone's favorite old man (but not THE Old Man, for you SereComp Vets) DavetheFishGuy. Our winner, however, very clearly outperformed his competition, boasting an excellent 5-0 record including 1 win against one of his fellow allstars. The more impressive thing about his feat, however, was that all but one of his wins were of the 2-0 variety, proving that even after all these years, he still has some skill (and a crap ton of hax). I give you the winner of the 2016 Comeback Player of the Year Award:

---

This third award puts the focus on a player who did their darndest to bring their team to success but just couldn't put together any kind of momentum. We had a couple of candidates, but the winner of this award clearly takes the cake. This player emded up playing in all 7 weeks of the regular season, putting together a 3-4 record after starting off abysmally, beginning the tournament with 3 straight losses. The more important thing to note, in this case, is his team. This player had terrible luck in teammates, as he was part of the only team that required an off-team substitution. No other members of his team collected a win via battle, finishing with an abysmal match record of 3(1)-11(5) and a league record of 0-7. If you don't know who this is by now, you should feel about as bad as the winner of the 2016 "At Least You Tried" award:

---

The fourth and final regular season award is, of course for the most valuable player, or MVP. The award is designed for the player who provided the most value to his or her team and, more likely than not, led them to success. It is not the "Best Player" award. That would go simply to the player with the best record. This award takes into account a combination of record, strength of schedule, team record in weeks played, and effect on team record.

We had a couple of candidates for this award, and I could make an extremely compelling argument for all three of them. the winner of this award compiled a 3(2)-0 record, picking up three straight wins via battle after their team lost in week 1, quickly helping to vault the team to first place in their division, where they stayed for the remainder of the season. It is also worth noting that, in this player's three individual matches, they once again only lost a single battle. This player was essentially the lightning rod that their team rallied around, and for these reasons you 2016 TCC MVP is

----------

Championship Presentation

Well folks, there you have it! It came down to the wire, but Biggggg5 and the rest of the Canalave Nightstalkers have claimed their title as the winners of what will hopefully be the first of a long tradition of Combatants Cups here on UPN! Congratulations!

In addition to these pins that you can use in your signatures or avis or whathaveyou, don't forget that our good friend Jerichi approved a nice RP-related prize! That's right, the five of you can have your choice of either 5 Service Points (for those of you that fancy ASB) or 2 Shards (for the WF fanatics). Remember, you get one or the other, not both. Just post in the appropriate thread to claim your prize.

I want to give a huge thank you to everyone for participating in this tournament. Back when I was in Serebii comp, running tournaments like this was pretty much my favorite thing to do, as I was never really good at the whole "battling" thing. It's especially good for me now, as I have a lot going on and it's a fairy low-effort thing to do, hosting tournaments. I have a plethora of tournaments to pick from, so I plan on introducing the UPN community to at least a couple of them (although I am going to try not to overload everyone). That said, the next one will be starting in just a few days purely because it has to align with something else that's coming soon, so I hope to see a lot of you signing up for that as well!

Until next time!

Last edited by kingothestone; 09-26-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:26 AM   #4
RealMrGame10
CAN'T BELIEVE KH3 IS HERE

So do I sign up now? Because if so, let's go, m8

Combatants Cup signup:
UPN Username: RealMrGame10
Timezone (GMT Format - found at bottom of page): currently GMT-6 since I'm currently travelling but will almost always be GMT-5 under DST conditions.
I hereby acknowledge the fact that I am under no circumstances guaranteed to be on any specific team.
I do recognize the fact that I WILL be on a team and I will participate in no fewer than 2 battles during the course of this tournament.

(btw, my notable comp-chievements include: peaking at #136 on the randbats board with a rating of 1672 after the Smogon Server Crash, peaking at #2 on the Super Staff Bros Melee OM, which I held for roughly 48 hours, having played nearly 2000 random battles on Showdown since the Smogon Server Crash)

WHEN YOU WALK AWAY

D- Ref on PASBL
(PASBL squad!)
Let's go WILD
I will battle for cheap

lol who knows

Last edited by RealMrGame10; 07-09-2016 at 11:47 AM.
RealMrGame10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:39 AM   #5
Extroph
Oreburgh's Very Own

Combatants Cup signup:
UPN Username: Extroph
Timezone: GMT -4
I hereby acknowledge the fact that I am under no circumstances guaranteed to be on any specific team.
I do recognize the fact that I WILL be on a team and I will participate in no fewer than 2 battles during the course of this tournament.

(btw, no notables)

PASBL|FB|WF
Extroph's Tiny Art Shack
Trainer Level 3
C Grade Referee

Extroph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:40 AM   #6
Chalis
Activating Rampage

Combatants Cup signup:
UPN Username: Machamp-X
Timezone (GMT Format - found at bottom of page): GMT-4 due to DST, GMT-5 otherwise.
I hereby acknowledge the fact thrat I am under no circumstances guaranteed to be on any specific team.

I'm new to this, and the best I've done is get up to 1300 in randbats and OU with no prior experience on my first day And promptly fall back down.

"Meteor Jam!"

Chalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:46 AM   #7
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Combatants Cup signup:
UPN Username: Ironthunder
Timezone (GMT Format - found at bottom of page): Britain so GMT +1 because lol DST
I do recognize the fact that I WILL be on a team and I will participate in no fewer than 2 battles during the course of the tournament.

Let's have some fun...
Old 07-09-2016, 11:58 AM   #8
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

Combatants Cup signup:
UPN Username: DarkLucarioADV
Timezone (GMT Format - found at bottom of page): GMT -4
Kuvario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:05 PM   #9
Celebii151
ADCs in 2017 LUL

Send a message via Skype™ to Celebii151
Combatants Cup signup:
UPN Username: Celebii151

PASBL Record
Trainer Level: 5
Referee Grade: B
Wins (DQ): 51 (5) Losses (DQ): 27 (6) Draws: 3
KOs: 135 TP: 294 SP (Earned): 0 (0)

Anime Style Battling | Fizzy Bubbles | Wild Future
Thanks to Pengyzu for the UserBar!
Celebii151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:20 PM   #10
kingothestone
pots Fan Club President

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMrGame10 View Post
So do I sign up now? Because if so, let's go, m8

Combatants Cup signup:
UPN Username: RealMrGame10
Timezone (GMT Format - found at bottom of page): currently GMT-6 since I'm currently travelling but will almost always be GMT-5 under DST conditions.

(btw, my notable comp-chievements include: peaking at #136 on the randbats board with a rating of 1672 after the Smogon Server Crash, peaking at #2 on the Super Staff Bros Melee OM, which I held for roughly 48 hours, having played nearly 2000 random battles on Showdown since the Smogon Server Crash)
1/24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extroph View Post
Combatants Cup signup:
UPN Username: Extroph
Timezone: GMT -4

(btw, no notables)
2/24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machamp-X View Post
Combatants Cup signup:
UPN Username: Machamp-X
Timezone (GMT Format - found at bottom of page): GMT-4 due to DST, GMT-5 otherwise.
I hereby acknowledge the fact thrat I am under no circumstances guaranteed to be on any specific team.

I'm new to this, and the best I've done is get up to 1300 in randbats and OU with no prior experience on my first day And promptly fall back down.
3/24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironthunder View Post
Combatants Cup signup:
UPN Username: Ironthunder
Timezone (GMT Format - found at bottom of page): Britain so GMT +1 because lol DST
I do recognize the fact that I WILL be on a team and I will participate in no fewer than 2 battles during the course of the tournament.

Let's have some fun...
4/24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
Combatants Cup signup:
UPN Username: DarkLucarioADV
5/24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebii151 View Post
Combatants Cup signup:
UPN Username: Celebii151
6/24

Not bad at all for an hour! Already 1/4 to our minimum requirement!

Old Squad Summary

UPN Mafia Global Rules & Guidelines

UPN Mafia Queue & Statistics Archive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoS View Post
I was wondering what the high-pitched ringing in my ears was all day, but it's probably kots screaming into a pillow.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:08 PM   #11
TrainerChris
Pokemon Trainer

Combatants Cup signup:
UPN Username: TrainerChris
Timezone (GMT Format - found at bottom of page): GMT-5
TrainerChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:24 PM   #12
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Oh look, a form

Combatants Cup signup:
UPN Username: rotomotorz
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:36 PM   #13
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum.

And I'm all out of gum.

Combatants Cup signup:
UPN Username: crys
Timezone (GMT Format - found at bottom of page): gmt-4
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:45 PM   #14
Beautiful Savage
Oh, hello

Combatants Cup signup:
UPN Username: Beautiful Savage
Timezone (GMT Format - found at bottom of page): GMT -5
Old 07-09-2016, 02:13 PM   #15
Aposteriori
Banned

Combatants Cup signup:
UPN Username: Aposteriori
Aposteriori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:29 PM   #16
Toyo
hail

blame app

Combatants Cup signup:
UPN Username: Tyoyo3131
Toyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:38 PM   #17
Eliteknight
Tommy used to work...

Happy to see this revived!

Combatants Cup signup:
UPN Username: Eliteknight
Timezone (GMT Format - found at bottom of page): gmt -7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miror
EK keeping up his streak of being the scummiest motherfucker to ever grace mafia games regardless of his actual alignment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Well I don't know I wanted to deal damage and Starmie is inorganic :X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Starmie is a starfish, it is not inorganic :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Kush I'm TL1. How am I supposed to know things if you don't tell me them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
It's a starfish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
I have 1 SP. Retroactively claiming the SP tax on all the things I did whilst LO.

I now have 1 SP.
Eliteknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:05 PM   #18
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

UPN Username: KamenAeons
Timezone (GMT Format - found at bottom of page): GMT +10

There, happy?

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:13 PM   #19
kingothestone
pots Fan Club President

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainerChris View Post
Combatants Cup signup:
UPN Username: TrainerChris
Timezone (GMT Format - found at bottom of page): GMT-5
7/24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotomotorz View Post
Oh look, a form

Combatants Cup signup:
UPN Username: rotomotorz
8/24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crys View Post
I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum.

And I'm all out of gum.

Combatants Cup signup:
UPN Username: crys
Timezone (GMT Format - found at bottom of page): gmt-4
9/24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Savage View Post
Combatants Cup signup:
UPN Username: Beautiful Savage
10/24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyoyo3131 View Post
blame app

Combatants Cup signup:
UPN Username: Tyoyo3131
11/24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliteknight View Post
Happy to see this revived!

Combatants Cup signup:
UPN Username: Eliteknight
Timezone (GMT Format - found at bottom of page): gmt -7
12/24

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamenAeons View Post
UPN Username: KamenAeons
Timezone (GMT Format - found at bottom of page): GMT +10

There, happy?
13/24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aposteriori View Post
Combatants Cup signup:
UPN Username: Aposteriori
If/when you get unbanned, feel free to reapply. For now, though, rejected.

Ooooh, we're halfway there

Old Squad Summary

UPN Mafia Global Rules & Guidelines

UPN Mafia Queue & Statistics Archive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoS View Post
I was wondering what the high-pitched ringing in my ears was all day, but it's probably kots screaming into a pillow.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:37 PM   #20
Miror
Marsh Badge

Combatants Cup signup:
UPN Username: Miror
Timezone (GMT Format - found at bottom of page): GMT -7
Old 07-10-2016, 06:46 AM   #21
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

Location: To the world, to the world, to the world, to the world where you live
Combatants Cup signup:
UPN Username: HeroicRein (SilverChiko)
Timezone (GMT Format - found at bottom of page): GMT+10
Old 07-10-2016, 06:57 AM   #22
Mew The Gato

Combatants Cup signup:
UPN Username: Mew The Gato
Timezone (GMT Format - found at bottom of page): +5.5
Mew The Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:08 AM   #23
dirkac
uhhhhh

Combatants Cup signup:
UPN Username: dirkac
Timezone (GMT Format - found at bottom of page): GMT+2

The forms!
They BURN
Am having terrible flashbacks to the Serebii Comp section
dirkac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:47 AM   #24
Heather
Naga's Voice

Combatants Cup signup:
UPN Username: Heather
Timezone (GMT Format - found at bottom of page): GMT -4 for the time being, don't know how DST is playing right now.

I'm not the greatest at comp, though I do break 1200 on OU with wacky squads when I try hard enough, and once broke 1300 back when Aegislash wasn't banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:15 AM   #25
Lanturn
Just keep swimming x2

Sounds fun!

Combatants Cup signup:
UPN Username: Lanturn
Timezone (GMT Format - found at bottom of page): GMT +8

[Current WF Adventure]
(lol totally should update these links)
Lanturn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON