UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Suggestions and Inquiries

Old 08-29-2014, 07:54 AM   #1
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Relicanth General Guidelines

And to round things off, here's a list of codified general rulings around ASB.

Gender Differences: In-game gender differences are present in the ASB, though in the majority of cases they will have little more than a cosmetic effect upon a battle. Striking a Pokémon between the legs or in any area where a real world creature might have sensitive reproductive organs provides no advantage in battle and will not result in a critical hit.

Attraction: Moves like Attract and Captivate work on body shape, physiology and relative size. Pokémon that are noted to be particularly beautiful may have greater success than others. Ref’s discretion should be used; a Skitty may be attractive to a Meowth or a Pikachu and have limited success in attracting a Pidgey or a Machop, but a Wailord will almost certainly be uninterested.

Distance: Although arenas vary in size and scale, Pokémon will generally resist travelling so far from their trainer that they cannot hear their orders. While ref’s discretion is advised, it is difficult for Pokémon to travel further than 50 feet away from the opponent and/or their trainer. This guidance does not apply to a Grand Melee.

Flight: Pokémon achieve flight in different ways and individual SCs will highlight differences in proficiency. In general, Pokémon which can fly are able to travel as far and as high as other Pokémon may run from their trainer. They will usually be able to achieve higher speeds than most Pokémon will be able to by running when travelling horizontally or towards the ground and will often be able to perform impressive aerial manoeuvres at speed. However, it can be more difficult to gain altitude unless there are thermals present and fliers strong winds and other weather can send fliers off course.

Levitation: Pokémon levitate in different ways and individual SCs will highlight differences in proficiency. In general, Pokémon which are able to levitate can reach a height of eight feet without using any energy and can bring themselves up to a height of twelve feet for a round or so using light energy. They can generally move at the same pace that most bipeds can run and dodge at, freely in all three dimensions. Levitation is generally more stable than flight, users able to more effectively control their descent during sudden changes in Gravity and steady themselves more readily in adverse weather conditions. Levitation will work underwater.

Inorganic: Pokémon which are inorganic do not need to breathe, eat or drink in order to survive. They can therefore travel freely underwater and in other mediums where respiration might be hindered. They cannot be poisoned and will not be affected by spores or gasses.

Enthusiasm: Certain Pokémon may be identified as being more or less enthusiastic in particular situations and environments. Generally, Pokémon which are comfortable in their surroundings will be more enthusiastic and ready to battle, performing actions slightly faster and feeling greater confidence and focus and a heightened resistance to flinching. The opposite is true for Pokémon which are not enthusiastic about a given situation, taking a little longer to perform their actions and being easier to unnerve or disrupt.

SC Boosts: Some Pokémon gain boosts or to certain moves or heightened resistance to certain attacks through their Species Characteristics. Where these boosts are to the power of offensive attacks, the Pokémon do not expend any extra energy when using the moves.

Weakness and Resistance: Just like in the games, some Pokémon are weak against certain types of move and resistant to others. Charizard is weak to Thunderbolt but takes less damage from Focus Blast, for example. However, there are a few differences in the ASB. Firstly, our default system is 2x and 3x, meaning that while a Thunderbolt will deal 2x damage to a Charizard like in the games, a Stone Edge will only deal 3x damage. On the other hand, Charizard will take 50% of the damage from a Focus Blast and only 33% of the damage from a Solar Beam. Secondly, there are are a small number of differences between our type chart and the one in the games - the SCs for each type make it clear what those are.

Immunity: As in the games, some Pokémon are immune to the damaging effects of certain moves because of their type. In the ASB, this mechanic is based around type energy, as in the case Dragon Pulse (a burst of Dragon type energy) which is completely ineffective against Fairy type Pokémon. However, some of these attacks will still have some effect upon immune targets in the ASB through other means. For example, while a Mawile is immune to damage from Poison type energy, they can still be poisoned by moves like Poison Powder and Toxic and will still take a small amount of damage from moves like Poison Jab because there is a physical hit as well as a transfer of energy.

STAB: In the ASB, Same Type Attack Bonus (STAB) works differently from the games. Pokémon do not deal extra damage with attacks of their type, so a Pikachu’s Thunderbolt will deal no more damage than a Clefairy’s. However, Pokémon of a particular type will be better at focussing and manipulating their own type’s energy. STAB can have different effects dependent on the situation and Ref’s Discretion is advised. Where a Clefairy’s Thunderbolt might be harshly affected by the move Sunny Day, a Pikachu will be better able to focus the electricity and deliver a strong attack. Where a Clefairy’s Flamethrower will probably disperse and lose power at range, a Charmander’s probably won’t etc.

Off-Type Energy: Most Pokémon have access to moves that are of a type other than their own. These are called ‘off-type’ moves and Pokémon have a limited amount of energy with which to use them (roughly analogous to PP in the games). Contrastingly, all Pokémon have an unlimited amount of their own type energy (although they have a limited amount of total energy) and an unlimited amount of Normal type energy, as the Normal type is not considered an off-type. So a Pikachu could use as many Swift and Thunderbolt attacks as it liked, but could only use a small number of Signal Beam attacks.

Familiarity: Pokémon which are considered more familiar with particular types have more energy of that type to use and will be better at manipulating the energy of their attacks, allowing them the same benefits that Pokémon with STAB enjoy.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:58 AM   #2
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Best thread ever 10/10 would recommend.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:03 AM   #3
Mercutio
Banned

Ta for posting.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
Zelphon
Frigid Memer

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
In a previous statement levitation was set at 10 feet, is that now being lowered to the 8? Or was there just a mistake in one of these statements.

All in all I love the thread, good job and what not.

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:09 PM   #5
Mercutio
Banned

It is now 8.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:55 PM   #6
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Schadenfreude
This thread is the best thing about my morning today. Documenting things such as definitions for inorganic and enthusiasm? Fuck yeah!
Schadenfreude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:15 PM   #7
Heather
Know when to hold 'em

This thread is quite possibly the best thing ever made

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Things One Is Not Allowed To Do In Exalted
244) While not FORBIDDEN, my Midnight is to keep in mind that using an army of animated skeletons in order to fill the town square with a rendition of "Spooky Scary Skeletons" is going to be considered odd at best.
WF Things
Heather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:07 PM   #8
Jerichi
本✚能

This is gonna be put on the site soon but good to post it for now!

気紛れを 許して 今更なんて思わずに急かしてよ
もっと中迄入って あたしの衝動を 突き動かしてよ

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:08 PM   #9
Mercutio
Banned

Is it worth clarifying for now that boosts cause extra energy to be used but do not cause extra type energy to be used?
Old 08-29-2014, 08:11 PM   #10
Stealthy
A New and Original Person

Yes.
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:17 PM   #11
Shuckle
Mage of Mind

You know what would be AWESOME?

A section on the site that refers to Arenas.

A simple "arena format" outline plus a list of handy pre-created arenas. Then add an Arenas thread to codify and organize popular arenas like Pummelo or Metrodome. Also a nice list of arena rules and an explanation for special rules like Wild Pokemon or Announcer would be appreciated.

I think arenas are currently rather underrated and confusing for newer ASBers. Having some "official" information on them would be a great help.

Spoiler: show
[The Sorcerer's Ambition]A handy link, to be sure.
Level Acquisitions, sorted by level instead of name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
Shuckle's awesomeness level continues to rise.
Shuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:19 PM   #12
Jerichi
本✚能

So yes, we're getting to that, but as we've said like 5 or 6 times arena are pretty low priority. We're in the process of hashing out the most essential rules right now and we'll start cleaning up arenas once that gets finished.

Also there's already an entire Arenas page that does all those things and has all those descriptions. Sure it's extremely disorganized but it's there.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:22 PM   #13
Mercutio
Banned

*sigh*

In an abject lesson on how not to do things, I had a tab open with a drafted Arenas thread to replace our current resources and was going to run it by some people and then send it to the LOs for them to use.

I restarted my computer. I did not save a copy.

I'll redo over the Weekend, have set aside some time. It's a very simple "here are the absolute rules, here are the special rules, here are some example arenas" in the OP and then a vague semblance of organisation below that.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:29 PM   #14
Eliteknight
Tommy used to work...

Liking the idea of both the new general rules and the new species characteristics. I also would greatly appreciate that update for the arenas page.

Keep up the great work

PASBL Squad l C+ Grade Ref l Grass Gym Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Well I don't know I wanted to deal damage and Starmie is inorganic :X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Starmie is a starfish, it is not inorganic :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Kush I'm TL1. How am I supposed to know things if you don't tell me them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
It's a starfish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
I have 1 SP. Retroactively claiming the SP tax on all the things I did whilst LO.

I now have 1 SP.
Eliteknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:42 PM   #15
Jerichi
本✚能

This thread has now been made redundant!

気紛れを 許して 今更なんて思わずに急かしてよ
もっと中迄入って あたしの衝動を 突き動かしてよ

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 08-29-2014, 08:45 PM   #16
Mercutio
Banned

No it hasn't?
Old 08-29-2014, 08:48 PM   #17
Mercutio
Banned

Oh ok no it has, it's just that you've put it far enough under the old shit bit of that page that I didn't notice. And also I think you want to put your glossary on a separate page. There's no real reason a glossary should be kept with attack rules.

Still, thanks!
Old 08-29-2014, 09:29 PM   #18
Jerichi
本✚能

Yeah I might do that later. This is a little bit of a rough draft in some senses.

気紛れを 許して 今更なんて思わずに急かしてよ
もっと中迄入って あたしの衝動を 突き動かしてよ

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 08-29-2014, 09:45 PM   #19
Shuckle
Mage of Mind

I'm so sorry. I wasn't aware Arenas was even there. I could have sworn that it wasn't when I checked last.

[The Sorcerer's Ambition]A handy link, to be sure.
Level Acquisitions, sorted by level instead of name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
Shuckle's awesomeness level continues to rise.
Shuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:31 AM   #20
FixedKarma
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
[COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]

Attraction: Moves like Attract and Captivate work on body shape, physiology and relative size. Pokémon that are noted to be particularly beautiful may have greater success than others. Ref’s discretion should be used; a Skitty may be attractive to a Meowth or a Pikachu and have limited success in attracting a Pidgey or a Machop, but a Wailord will almost certainly be uninterested.

Does Pokémon sexuality come in as a factor or is it like in the games where only Pokémon of the oppisite sex are only effected i.e. Male can atract Female but can't atract Male
FixedKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:21 AM   #21
Crys
crysMas

You're gonna fit in just fine.

Quote:
Attract (NO) -- Using light energy, the user attempts to make itself look more attractive to the opposing Pokémon. In order to be effective, both Pokémon must be of opposite genders or the opposing Pokémon must be of a compatible sexuality (as specified in the bio, if at all). Success of the move is dependent on a number of factors, including mental state and the length of the battle, with mechanics similar to Charm. However, unlike Charm and similar moves, Attract also is dependent on the physical similarity between the user and its foe. Pokémon of the same species or closely tied species (e.g. Plusle and Minun) will easily fall for the Attract, with Pokémon of similar body shapes having fairly high success and very dissimilar Pokémon being unlikely to fall for the move. Attract may be performed on or by non-breeding, gendered Pokémon (e.g. babies), though the execution will focus more on maternal/paternal attraction, rather than sexual. Genderless Pokémon can neither perform nor fall prey to this move. Once Attracted, the affected foe will be calmed considerably. Its attacks will be considerably weaker and it will hesitate to perform any actions that will harm the user. Once the affected foe is struck by an attack from the user, the illusion will break and the Attraction will end. Subsequent uses will be ineffective.
There have been cases in the past where people would put in their Pokemon's bio that [insert mon] is a homosexual. Thus having male attraction techniques from other Pokemon work on it, but not female. There are also users (like MtG) who make all of their Pokemon genderless for some reason, preventing them from using or being attracted at all. Though hella uncommon since attract is a bad mechanic atm, there are also signature moves which can affect the attract chart. For example, my Milotic is capable of attracting both male and females (and maybe genderless idr it's been a bit). In general though, it works usually as in the games. Male to Female, Female to Male. If you want to go the extra mile and make your Pokemon homosexual or something that's up to you.

From what I've seen jeri has a pretty spicy rework of attraction as a mechanic planned so who knows, it might work out later when the asb rework drops.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Suggestions and Inquiries