UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Wild Future > Kanto > Saffron Jungle

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2017, 04:20 PM   #1
Connor
Who Knows?
 
Connor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,984
The Uprooted World of Ex-Inspector Morse

You would think for a region that had gone through so much turmoil and upheaval in the past few years, Kanto would be full of people who were distrusting from first introduction, fully of suspicion and with rarely a word to say to a stranger.

Sadly, that wasn't the case.

Stepping out into the brisk morning air of Cerulean, Morse sighs as he exhales, smoke billowing beyond his pipe from within his lungs. He had just gotten out of the business end of a rather one sided argument with a Pokemon Center attendant, and he wasn't in the greatest of moods as a consequence. Sure, he struggled with technology. Sure, he might have needed a little help claiming his items. They seemed pretty useful. He was a man of tradition though, and if he needed help he'd damn well ask for it. Too pushy, everyone round here. Too eager to help. They could do with a healthy bit of -

"KAAAAAAAAAW!"

"For crying out loud, Lewis! Keep your bloody voice down."

Lewis had not enjoyed being ignored for the extended period that he had been. Rather than peck at Morse's hat, like a normal Pokemon, the Murkrow had gotten into a routine of belting out his loudest squawks whenever he felt Morse had ignored him for too long a period. As if Morse could ignore the fact that the blasted bird refused to go into his Poke Ball. Lewis was perpetually hanging around, whether it be perched on his hat or standing to attention at his shoulder. Part of Morse was somewhat happy to have the company, and to have the immediate backup should something go wrong.

Part of Morse wanted to throttle the damn thing every time he squawked.

Taking his pipe from his mouth, Morse takes a moment to flick what little tobacco was left in the end to the ground before stowing it in his pocket. Taking a look around to get his bearings, the older man finally grunted to his companion, giving his the acknowledgement he so desired.

"Alright then Lewis, looks like we're off. I don't really have a set destination in mind, but I figure we head south. Our options are limited given our resources, and I'm not too fond of tackling a mountain. Not that a jungle is much better. Godforsaken region. Still, lesser of two evils..."

And with that, Morse headed south, looking to exit Cerulean and head into the jungles of Saffron.
__________________
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:09 PM   #2
Beautiful Savage
Go Away.
 
Beautiful Savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 903
As you make your way through the city, Lewis flapping along beside you, your surroundings begin to change. Bustling streets and crowded storefronts are soon replaced by smaller apartment buildings, and those in turn are replaced by houses as you leave Cerulean proper and enter the outskirts of the city. Though Misty Plaza had been crowded, the throngs of people had dissipated soon after leaving the city center, allowing you and Morse to have a pleasant enough walk.

Before long, you reach the last of the houses on the road that leads south out of Cerulean and toward the largely uncharted Saffron Jungle. Wildlife had quickly claimed much of the old city and surrounding areas, becoming a paradise for Pokemon and a danger for travelers without Pokemon of their own. Even now, the trees are beginning to thicken and change species to match the more tropical climate that lies ahead.
Eventually, the more tropical flora wins out, officially marking your entrance to the Saffron Jungle.

"Hey, you with the Murkrow, wait up!" calls a voice from behind. The voice belongs to a man who seems to be in his early thirties. His mess of curly brown hair, bright brown eyes, and wide smile combined with his athletic shoes, cargo shorts and t-shirt all serve to give him an outgoing and carefree appearance. The man was sweating a bit, partly due to the jungle climate, but mostly due to the heavy looking pack strapped to his back. Behind him followed a woman with short black hair that looked to about the same age and was dressed pretty much the same way and carried a similar pack. She smiled as she heard the man call ahead.

"Sorry to shout at you like that, Mr.," panted the man, who had ran to catch up with you. "I'm Jamie, and this is my wife, Kristin. We're traveling to New Saffron to visit Kristin's sister, but we've heard it's safer to travel through the jungle in groups."

"Ugh, I can't believe he's doing this again," said Kristin with a smile, feigning exasperation. At that point, a third person approaches. Another man, this one younger than the first, though dressed similarly. Upon seeing the scene he walked into, he simply laughs and waves at you, already having gotten the whole spiel from Jamie.

"This is Wyatt, he's also headed to New Saffron. He's into the whole Star Shard business, I don't know much about it myself. But anyway, if you're headed that way, would you care to join us?"

Last edited by Beautiful Savage; 01-19-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Beautiful Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:34 PM   #3
Connor
Who Knows?
 
Connor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,984
The walk through towards the outskirts of Cerulean was pleasant enough. Lewis poked at Morse's hat here and there, the bird seemingly having taken the earlier cue that squawking would not be met with appreciation, but the stroll was otherwise uneventful. Finally, the increasingly sparse buildings gave way to the obvious edges of the sprawling Saffron Jungle, and it wasn't long before the pair found themselves in the wilds proper. The generic bustle of life was all around, but this soothing rendition was soon brought to a grinding halt.

People come in all shapes, sizes and predispositions. Morse preferred to work alone, but it seemed he wouldn't be getting what he wanted with this excursion.

Turning to face the approaching group, Morse respectfully tipped his hat to the approaching trio. A cursory glance around them revealed nothing to be terribly suspicious of - the husband and wife were amicable enough, clearly quite open people given they had already acquired someone to join their little group, and the third was some sort of peddler. Star Shards? Morse had no idea what they were, but he knew one thing. Travelling peddlers tended to come across information, and that was always something valuable. Information could achieve a lot, no matter your line of work.

"The name's Morse. This-"

Morse punctuates the introduction with a nod towards Lewis, who unleashes a trademark squawk.

"... would be Lewis. I don't mind tagging along. Not much, anyway. You there ... Wyatt? What are these 'Star Shards' you're in the business of? Can't say I've heard of them myself. Not much I haven't heard of."
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:40 AM   #4
Beautiful Savage
Go Away.
 
Beautiful Savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 903
"Nice ta meet you, Morse, glad you're tagging along!" replies Jamie with a smile. He and Kristin then move up ahead, the latter flashing a polite smile as she passes, to leave you and Wyatt in relative privacy.

"Hi, I'm Wyatt," he introduces himself, a slight nervous quiver in his voice. "You asked what star shards are, right? You must be new to the region, then. So welcome!" He laughs a bit, then, after an awkward silence, continues, "Right, star shards. They're these beautiful crystals that just kind of... showed up a few years ago. Nobody knows where they came from, but they're absolutely gorgeous. And valuable, too. There's an entire network of merchants with lots of rare items that trade them for the shards. Most people don't have more than a few and are often willing to part with them as a thank you for helping them out."

The young man pauses his explanation, suddenly becoming much more confident as he continues.

"That's what I want to do. Back before all... this... happened, my father collected rare items, buying and selling them. For him, it was never really about the stuff, but more about the stories the stuff brought with them. The people he met, the locations he visited. Now he's just struggling to get by, to support our family. So I decided to strike out on my own. To ease the burden on him and my mom, and also to pursue his passion. Anyway, what brings you out here?"
Beautiful Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:54 PM   #5
Connor
Who Knows?
 
Connor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,984
Morse gives a curt yet polite nod to Jamie and Kristin as they pass, Lewis being uncharacteristically quiet and following suit with a small bow of his head. As they gain some distance from Morse and Wyatt, the merchant begins to talk, and his first note is that Morse must be new to the region. Morse shuffles uncomfortably at this - he had hoped it wouldn't be quite so obvious that he was a foreigner, but if the cat was out the bag there was little he could do. Morse punctuates his silent listening with a nod here and there, making sure to make mental notes - this seemed like important information. Abruptly, Wyatt seems to get a bit more into his spiel, and Morse can't help but give a small rueful smile as Wyatt divulges his motivations.

For his father eh? Cliche, but not a bad kid, clearly.

Morse's thoughts were interrupted without warning as Wyatt asks Morse's reasons for being in the region, and a long sigh escapes from the older man's throat. Taking a moment to fish out his pipe, flicking some of the burnt tobacco out the end, he is forced to speak when Lewis gives his ear a sharp jab.

"Ow ... blasted thing. Anyway ... I guess you could say I'm in the region to try and make a change. Any change on the status quo is for the better, right? I used to be in a position to make more of a change ... that's in the past though."

With that, Morse put his pipe to his lips, making it clear he would be reluctant to speak anymore. Taking a moment to light the tobacco resting in the end of the pipe, he gives a few short puffs to make sure everything was in order before turning towards Jamie and Kristin.

"Best get going, eh?"
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:08 AM   #6
Shadowshocker
used First Impression
 
Shadowshocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,033
You furtively acknowledge the present company, years of embittered experience maintaining your arm's length away from the group. The familiar, comforting scent of scorched nicotine fills your senses, drawing a slight wince from Kristin and Wyatt. Just as well - one passage through the forest around Saffron and you could shake yourself from these hangers-on.

"I guess there's no point in waiting any further. A larger group would just be cumbersome," agrees Jamie, giving you a nod of deference.

The jungle terrain isn't a scenario you've become used to in your days on the streets, but considering the trials you've faced on the force, it proves mildly irritating at best. The bigger source of annoyance is undoubtedly Wyatt, and you find that the group has to stop every five to ten minutes or so so he can be extricated from a grasping tendril or cluster of branches. It's hard not to think that he might be doing it on purpose, but then again, you'd seen the glint of idealism and hope fade from many eyes. Perhaps Wyatt is merely far less experienced than he let on.

"...Ngh."

You turn, biting back a sigh as you hear the group stop again, but this time it's Kristin who's responsible for the delay as she clutches her forehead. "You okay, dear?" Jamie asks worriedly. "...Is Karin in trouble?"

"I don't think so," she mumbles, shaking her cranium. "Sorry about that, Morse. Karin's my twin sister, you see, and we've always been a little sensitive to psychic fields and phenomena - but it's just a minor dizzy spell. Probably just some forest Pokémon..."

"Looks like it's more than just some. You can barely walk straight!" notes Jamie grimly. He frowns deeply, as if trying to suggest disdainful commentary on his part, before he shakes his head and turns to you and Wyatt. "Sorry, but I don't think we can go on like this. There must be something nearby that's causing this interference!"

You're not too keen on delays, but a glance at Kristin leaning against her husband's shoulder tells you all you need to know. But now that you think about it, the forest seems to have become eerily quiet - you can no longer hear the ambience of rustling plants or chittering bugs. Even the wind itself appears to have been silenced, like you're trapped in a display case...

"...!"

A blur of motion catches your attention, and you see a white sphere flicker among some leaves. Just what are you dealing with here?
Shadowshocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:40 PM   #7
Connor
Who Knows?
 
Connor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,984
This is why groups are ineffective. One piece falters, and they all come grinding to a stop. At least if I'm alone, I can just do as I please when it comes to obstacles.

Morse sighs his irritation at the events unfolding, but is careful to make sure that his travel companions were unable to hear his exasperation. He was antisocial, but he had a degree of awareness with these matters - he knew that provoking any sort of ire from the group would only ever work against his favour. Still, there was something off about their surroundings. No matter how you looked at it, a jungle being quite this quiet was discomforting. Looking around, Morse is drawn to some movement in the corner of his eye, and he notices a small white orb flash through the undergrowth nearby. He was pretty confident in forming a theory now - they were most likely being messed about by a Pokemon. Given the proclivity of Kristin to psychic fields ... well, it would seem a simple task for a Pokemon well versed in psychic powers to put some sort of mental block on the group to drown out any stimulus. With a nod to Lewis, Morse mumbles some simple orders.

"I want you to use Pursuit. Root out whatever is doing this. Hold back a little. We want to scare it, not hurt it."
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:47 AM   #8
Shadowshocker
used First Impression
 
Shadowshocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,033
Deserved as it might be, you try to mask your expression of frustration as much as possible, turning it to the situation at hand. Obviously some kind of Psychic Pokémon had to be responsible, and handily enough, you have a Pokémon on hand that wouldn't be as bothered as Kristin is. You mutter directions to Morse, who flaps up to the top of your hat and assumes a vantage position, shiftily eyeing the landscape to force out the guilty party.

"...!"

A rustle of leaves to the right, and the Murkrow swings into action, talons lifting off your head as he divebombs the target. With one wing extended, he swipes into the foliage. A squeal is heard as a mess of... something comes tumbling out, with the silhouette of a flimsy rag doll as it hits the grass. Thin pink limbs join to a small conical body, while dark blobs form a sort of hat and pants on the clownlike figure, topped by a dangling white ball. The Mime Jr. winces as it picks itself up, only to be greeted by the sight of Morse with his wings wide open.

"M-m-mime!"

Instantly the brush around you starts to rustle again, and before anyone can say anything in response another similar figure appears from behind a forest tree. Then another, and another... soon enough your group is surrounded by a score of the Psychic Pokémon. Morse, perhaps intimidated by the Fairies' elemental affinity or the sheer number of them, backs away closer to your foot, not quite sure how to continue...
Shadowshocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Wild Future > Kanto > Saffron Jungle


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 AM.


Design By: Miner Skinz.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.