UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Suggestions and Inquiries

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 07:56 PM   #351
Aposteriori
Banned

The current full description or rule (if applicable), highlighting any problem areas

Slack Off (NO) -- The user sits down and enters a lazy state in order to regain energy at a fast rate. The user will loll for about half a minute and will restore an extreme amount of energy if able to rest for the maximum time. Slack Off leaves the user feeling much more refreshed and energetic than Rest. The user may continue lolling in to the next round if applicable. Light, cumulative damage such as poison or weak draining moves will probably not interrupt the user, but sharper shocks may shock them out of their relaxed state, automatically ending the energy regain. Because the user is not fully asleep, they may be able to avoid slow moving attacks or adopt a defensive stance as needed, but they won't be able to attack while using the move.

The issues with the move (in bullet points or short paragraphs)

Super niche, and it is sad that it was made into a rest clone.

The proposed changes (please do not rewrite the moves yourself)

-Roost is better distributed, yet it serves dual purpose of health and energy. Can we do the same for this one a la roost?
Old 03-31-2016, 08:08 PM   #352
Emi
ACHILLESSSSS

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Oh god yes please Rest is so bad we don't need Rest clones

Quote:
Zelphon - Today at 5:29 AM
If the current political climate has taught me anything
It's that a purge via gay witches may very well be necessary
Old 04-01-2016, 06:14 AM   #353
Mercutio
Banned

What we really need to do is look again at all recovery moves. Why do they take so long? Why do they have such intense drawbacks? Yes ok we don't want matchups to last forever but who in the ASB can really say that the stall game is more pervasive than the "use two movers until it dies" game?

Give Rest the ability to cure all status an make it restore more energy, make Slack Off take less time than Rest but restore the same amount of energy, make Recover take way less time and energy, make Morning Sun and Moonlight near instantaneous but absolutely dependent on the weather, etc etc.

Let's make these moves a bit more worth using, and while we're at it get rid of the idea that you can use only one heal/regen move a battle. Make them like three movers at the very least, or better yet just have them suffer sharp diminishing returns.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:18 AM   #354
Aposteriori
Banned

sharp, you mean 20%?
Old 04-01-2016, 09:42 AM   #355
Snorby
Lacking in Beef

The current full description or rule (if applicable), highlighting any problem areas

Earthquake (GD) - The user smashes the ground, sending shockwaves of Ground energy through it. The waves transfer directly into any Pokémon who has contact with the ground, dealing significant damage. The type of ground involved determines the effectiveness of this attack, as sand, snow, mud, etc. could possibly hinder or even prevent this attack from working. If this attack is used directly on the target, it deals significant damage as if it were transferred through the ground, but will only affect that Pokémon.

It allows movement that an average Earthquake doesn't.

DC Earthquake should count as two moves to make up for the extra movement it has compared to regular Earthquake.

Shadow Ball (GH) -- The user charges up and fires a ball of significant Ghost energy at the opponent. Upon striking the foe, the ball bursts, letting out a ghostly wind that deals significant damage to those around it. This move has a 10% chance to slightly lower the foe's special defense stat for a few rounds.

Not really a problem with the move per se, but there aren't any high powered Ghost moves.

An FC Shadow Ball that would do Extreme Damage seems like the optimal solution to this issue.

Click on Fawful for my ASB squad summary. Other links coming soon.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:46 AM   #356
Mercutio
Banned

Why?
Old 04-01-2016, 10:02 AM   #357
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

Earth Power (GD) - The user stomps on the ground and channels a stream of ground energy towards the foe, which erupts out from under them in a narrow column, dealing significant damage. Energy usage depends on the type of terrain - for example, thick clay will be more difficult to channel through than soft dirt, the attack generally requiring significant energy. It can also be used to manipulate the ground's shape somewhat, though more than slight alterations will tire the user significantly. This attack only works if the energy is sent through the ground - it cannot be used directly on an opponent. This attack has a 10% chance to lower the target's special defense.

This move, along with HP Ground, are the only special Ground moves in ASB. And since this one needs to be sent through the ground, it limits its potential and use in battles. Not every 'Mon has HP Ground, but many Pokemon have Earth Power.

Create a direct contact variation that counts as special, along with a ranged version that is essentially an Earth Beam that is still special.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:09 AM   #358
Emi
ACHILLESSSSS

Oh man these are excellent shit.

Quote:
Old 04-01-2016, 10:34 AM   #359
Mercutio
Banned

Damn it Emi you ruined my pattern.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:36 AM   #360
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
I'm Rangeetsuper and I approve this message.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:36 AM   #361
Emi
ACHILLESSSSS

I'm not even sure how Snorby knew of the two-mover DCEQ thing we haven't spoken of that in ages.

Quote:
Old 04-02-2016, 05:39 AM   #362
Aposteriori
Banned

Imprison (PS) -- The user consumes significant energy to prevent one opponent from reusing a move it's used in the last few rounds. The user must be able to use this move in order to Imprison it. Imprison can only happen if the attack is one which deals with energy (has some sort of glow). For example, a Squirtle's Body Slam can't be Imprisoned, but Skull Bash can be, due to the normal energy used in the attack. If the attack which is attempted to Imprison is of the victim's type, the energy required to use Imprison rises significantly, and the attack takes much longer to do

XX moves being unaffected is an outdated clause. Though few Pokemon can actually benefit, there is no real need to keep such clause as part of this move. Roost + Imprison is a possible combination, and justifiable enough to have this clause removed. If you want to safeguard Body Slam and the ilk, maybe allow them to perform the non-move pool version. This would eliminate the logic portion of "Well how can you physically stop him from body slamming?". A Smeargle who ventures to have this move combo basically guarantees no paralysis from Body Slam, which is a nice trade off even if it is a poor application of the move in question.

Remove the part where XX moves cannot be Imprison.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:08 AM   #363
Mercutio
Banned

Radical alternative proposal: make Imprison able to wipe out whole type access i.e. Alakazam could prevent Gardevoir from using any Ghost moves because they bothearn Ghost moves.

It's sort of proportioned in that in game you only have four moves to imprison but jn ASB Pokémon cannhave 100+ moves.

No banning of STAB or Normal moves, time limit to three rounds, significant energy. Boom.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:14 AM   #364
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Radical alternative proposal: make Imprison able to wipe out whole type access i.e. Alakazam could prevent Gardevoir from using any Ghost moves because they bothearn Ghost moves.

It's sort of proportioned in that in game you only have four moves to imprison but jn ASB Pokémon cannhave 100+ moves.

No banning of STAB or Normal moves, time limit to three rounds, significant energy. Boom.
As always i like the way this man thinks.

I agree that it would need to be limited to three rounds, and not able to block stab or normal moves. There are half a dozen sigs i have seen that do this kind of thing on a much heavier level so i would see no problem in a change to this.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:14 AM   #365
Jerichi
本✚能

That is an interesting idea but I feel like it tips Imprison too far the other way.

気紛れを 許して 今更なんて思わずに急かしてよ
もっと中迄入って あたしの衝動を 突き動かしてよ

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 04-02-2016, 07:17 AM   #366
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Easy to cure via energy use!
Old 04-02-2016, 07:24 AM   #367
Sneaze
#SWAG

Send a message via Skype™ to Sneaze
...or we could just remove the bit where the target had to have recently used the move and presto chango Imprison becomes actually usable due to your target not having blown at least half their energy of that type already without becoming as openly and hilariously cancerously good as Kush just suggested.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Whatever Sneasel says is right
Old 04-02-2016, 09:37 AM   #368
Emi
ACHILLESSSSS

Why is sTAB always the holy grail

we can imprison STAB it won't break the game

Quote:
Old 04-02-2016, 09:50 AM   #369
Aposteriori
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaze View Post
...or we could just remove the bit where the target had to have recently used the move and presto chango Imprison becomes actually usable due to your target not having blown at least half their energy of that type already without becoming as openly and hilariously cancerously good as Kush just suggested.
I don't like that idea whatsoever. Imprison should not tip the odds unilaterally unless we have include other ways to eliminate it other than amnesia. I would personally like to see it as a curse which can be eliminated via heal bell and refresh.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:50 AM   #370
Mercutio
Banned

Well you could amend it to be less long lasting or more energy use or whatever. The point being there is no real way to make Imprison anything more than a niche if you keep it to one move.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:53 AM   #371
Aposteriori
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Well you could amend it to be less long lasting or more energy use or whatever. The point being there is no real way to make Imprison anything more than a niche if you keep it to one move.
The direction you are taking it is good, too good. Three rounds, and a making it fall under the category of a curse makes it balanced imo.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:54 AM   #372
Emi
ACHILLESSSSS

Imprison is fine. It's a niche move, but sometimes niche moves are okay since Imprison is one of those moves that comes pretty dangerously close to OP if you try to make it better. I don't see any reason to change it considering it does get used and it gets used in situations where it benefits the user.

Kush your suggestion sucks because Spite exists and is better than your Imprison.

Quote:
Old 04-02-2016, 09:57 AM   #373
Aposteriori
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Imprison is fine. It's a niche move, but sometimes niche moves are okay since Imprison is one of those moves that comes pretty dangerously close to OP if you try to make it better. I don't see any reason to change it considering it does get used and it gets used in situations where it benefits the user.

Kush your suggestion sucks because Spite exists and is better than your Imprison.
Well no. If you can state Imprison Ghost energy for example, you are off to a great start because for a short time your opponent might lose a valuable offtype before it even fires off.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:59 AM   #374
Mercutio
Banned

Imprison is not causing any problems. This is not the same as it being 'fine' - it is not fine. But it is a reason for no one to care about this discussion and no action to be taken.

Spite is better in many ways! But not all ways. Imprison would not need to wait for the opponent to use the attack. It would just shut down the foe's ability to attack. That's much better than Spite.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:03 AM   #375
Emi
ACHILLESSSSS

No Imprison is "fine". Just because you don't believe so doesn't make it not true.

There aren't many situations (read: where a match-up is hopeless) where I'd use Imprison over Spite. That generally is not a good way to go. If it blocked STAB moves it would be a lot better and have more of an actual niche.

Quote:
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Suggestions and Inquiries