Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL

Old 09-30-2015, 02:46 AM   #76
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Schadenfreude
ROUND 20: Lightning Bolt

ROUND 20: Lightning Bolt
Scolipede vs Stunfisk

Biting his lip, Snorby picks out another ball and throws it to release a red jet of light. A flat, drab flounder materialises. While broad, brown scales cover the fish's body, two giant pupils blink in the gentle light, resembling two incandescent bulbs. A limp mouth curves from grey lips, while flimsy fins support the flat body that levitates above the soil. Perhaps Snorby should've specified whether this fish should be released, because currently, the default is onto the ground itself.

"Here is the data on Snorby's new Pokémon," says the referee, typing numbers into his datapad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokédex
Stunfisk (Ground/Electric): Despite being a Ground-type, Stunfisk dwell primarily underwater and can stay in water for an unlimited amount of time. Though still weak to Water attacks, they are somewhat less vulnerable than other Ground-types. Stunfisk, though able to swim somewhat, moves mostly through flopping and sliding, but prefer to lie and await foes in mud or other similar substrate. They can also levitate. Moving by electro magnetic propulsion, they are not as fast as other levitating Pokémon, but are more agile. They have a low flight ceiling. Stunfisk are familiar with the Water type.
[Ground]: Ground-type Pokémon are considered to be immune to electricity while standing on the ground. If a Ground Pokémon is in the air, they take 0.75x the usual damage from Electric-type attacks. If a Ground-type is wet, electric attacks affect it normally (unless the Pokémon is naturally wet/slimy, like Quagsire). Ground types do not suffer from recoil damage when using Electric attacks in the water. Ground-type Pokémon are more adept at manipulating outdoor and 'natural' environments than other Pokémon and will spend less energy using Dig, Earthquake etc. They typically have slightly more Rock energy than other Pokémon if they naturally learn attacks of that type.
[Electric]: Electric-types, in general, prefer areas where their electric attacks are most accurate. Thus, while hot temperatures don't bother them, the fact that heat refracts electricity doesn't appeal to them. They are resistant to paralysis inflicted by Electric-type moves, though they may be paralysed as normal by other methods. Electric types do not suffer from recoil damage when using Electric attacks in the water.
When the referee finishes talking, Alpha the Stunfisk takes charge and starts gathering a squall of Thunderous power. Roiling and coiling, Alpha varnishes himself in a sizzling sheen which crackles like pure Lightning. Cass notices this impending attack and tries to jump the gun, but Alpha is both too fresh and too quick. Before Cass can swallow her breath, Alpha leaps forward and discharges a crackling Bolt of electricity, lashing the Scolipede. Horrified, Cass writhes in agony, unable to fire her Toxic. Her body recoils, as she crumples against the floor. Try as she may, Cass cannot survive this battle, and against a kinetic battler, the Scolipede has no chance of surviving. Poisons cannot last against the storms of the cloud, and Cass closes her eyes, surrendering.

Cass has been KOed and cannot battle. Ironthunder, please send out your last Pokémon.

Alpha is practically fresh in both senses of the term.

-Ironthunder to send out.
Schadenfreude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:21 AM   #77
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Well, fuck. If I hadn't already lost by this point, I have now. Arcos, let's get this over with.
Razor Shell into Water Gun.

That moment when you realize Barbaracle does not get Waterfall.
C grade ref.

WF quest log here.

FB stuff here.
Ironthunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:09 PM   #78
Snorby
Snackin'

Foul Play his Razor Shell, then stop the Water Gun with a Bulldoze.

Click on Fawful for my ASB squad summary. Other links coming soon.
Snorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:06 AM   #79
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

ROUND 21: Turning Tables

ROUND 21: Turning Tables
Barbaracle vs Stunfisk

Retrieving his unconscious Scolipede, Ironthuder tosses a final Pokéball which clicks open to splash crimson light against the soft gravel of Mt Moon. The red light morphs into a moist biped, whose multiple limbs splay outwards and remind the referee of the gorgon Medusa's tendrils. While an orange, segmented waist connects two grey rocks, narrow eyes loom from a grotesque, spiky head. Covering the creature's body is brackish, abrasive skin that gives the impression of oysters against a cliff.

"Here is the data on Snorby's next Pokémon," says the referee, typing numbers into his datapad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokédex
Barbaracle (Rock/Water): Barbaracle are made up of a number of symbiotic organisms, each having a separate mind that is linked to the larger organism. This allows them to perform multiple actions simultaneously. They are fairly resistant to Water-type moves despite their Rock-type and take slightly less damage from them. They can see in the dark.
[Rock]: Rock-type Pokémon generally have hard bodies, which makes them resistant to physical hits and projectiles. They are difficult to burn or poison and prefer hot environments to cold ones. Most are so heavy that they will sink in water, so they stay away from deep-water sources if possible. They are adept at controlling rocks and will use less energy than other Pokémon when using Rock Tomb, Stealth Rock etc. to manipulate the arena. They have slightly more Ground energy than other Pokémon if they naturally learn attacks of that type.
[Water]: Water-type Pokémon are generally able to hold their breath and/or breathe underwater. The time varies, from several rounds in the case of birds, mammals and reptiles to indefinitely for fish and squid like Pokémon. They are generally good swimmers and are better at manipulating Water for moves like Surf and Whirlpool than other Pokémon. They have slightly more Ice-typed energy than other Pokémon if they naturally learn attacks of that type.
When the referee stops speaking, Arcos the Barbaracle lunges into action and garners a swathe of aquatic energy. A lapis-lazuli sheen gleams over Arcos, as he raises two of his arms, which are as sharp as a sea-Shell. Sneering, Arcos pounces on his opponent and tries to slash his Razor-like powers at Alpha. The Stunfisk has a plan of his own, though. Indeed, Alpha smirks with the knowledge that he can turn the tables on Arcos. Before Arcos can land on him, Alpha dredges up a wash of Dark energy and tumbles under the Barbaracle. Only a modicum of Arcos's attack scrapes Alpha, when the Stunfisk swoops under the Barbaracle and strikes Arcos's underbelly. This display of Foul Play startles Arcos, whom Alpha tosses against a lunar rock. As he crashes into a boulder, Arcos lets out a slow groan.

Peeling himself from the floor, Arcos grimaces and tries to placate his escalating emotions. After he takes a deep breath, Arcos segues into his next technique. If Alpha wishes to play foul, Arcos can certainly turn the tables on the Stunfisk. As he decides that a super-effective blast might loosen Alpha's confidence, Arcos begins filling his mouth with Water. However, not all goes to plan. When Arcos tries to fire the metaphorical Gun, Alpha immediately reacts and stomps on the ground, with which he imbues seismic energy. A shockwave of tectonic power rumbles through the soil, streaking towards Arcos. Knocking Arcos off his feet, the shuddering energy Bulldozes Arcos, right as the Barbaracle tries to launch his attack. Squawking indignantly, Arcos trips, and the water splatters harmlessly next to Alpha's dorsal fins. Alpha smirks. Turning tables, indeed.

Depleting half his Dark offtype, Alpha has spent more energy than Arcos in this round, but both battlers are still peppy. Alpha sets up a nice health lead, with Arcos dipping a bit closer to the second third.

-Snorby to order.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:55 PM   #80
Snorby
Snackin'

Into the air with you, Alpha, as you unleash a Discharge. Should he find himself paralyzed, take the opportunity to lay down the hurt with Thunder. If he's not paralyzed, however, just opt for a nice Thunderbolt in lieu.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:05 PM   #81
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Smack Down into Water Gun.

Also Snorby, wouldn't that be a three-mover?
C grade ref.

WF quest log here.

FB stuff here.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:53 PM   #82
Snorby
Snackin'

I wouldn't think so- Stunfisk naturally levitates and, as that's essentially the only way it can realistically move on land, I'd be shocked if it costed a move on its own. But if it somehow is I do believe I still have one three mover left and am not particularly bothered about using it so if Schaden sees it as a three then consider this my confirmation.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:54 AM   #83
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

ROUND 22: Sparks Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorby View Post
I wouldn't think so- Stunfisk naturally levitates and, as that's essentially the only way it can realistically move on land, I'd be shocked if it costed a move on its own. But if it somehow is I do believe I still have one three mover left and am not particularly bothered about using it so if Schaden sees it as a three then consider this my confirmation.
Not a three-mover, but Stunfisk won't be going super-duper high, since levitation =/= full-fledged flight.

ROUND 22: Sparks Fly
Barbaracle vs Stunfisk

Floating like a balloon, Alpha charges a slew of electricity, which he Discharges at his opponent. The thunderous wave crashes into Arcos like a tsunami, assailing the horrified Barbaracle with a super-effective attack. As Arcos stumbles backwards, the Barbarcle thanks the heavens above that he has avoided paralysis, although his relief is tempered with bloodlust. Arcos growls. How dare that Stunfisk brutalise him? No, such an indignity must be repaid. Garnering an iridescent sphere of Rock energy, Arcos hones onto the levitating Stunfisk and then hurls the opalescent orb. When the globe Smacks Alpha, craggy energy bursts over the Stunfisk, who yelps in shock and involuntarily swoops Down. Hovering only half a foot or so from the gravel, Alpha winces and tries to bite back his frustration. However, he cannot afford to tarry.

After he steadies his position that remains barely above the floor, Alpha gathers Thunderous tendrils of electricity that he coalesces around him. Sparks fly whenever Alpha smiles, and the Stunfisk unleashes the squall. Ricocheting into Arcos, the Lightningbolt cracks like a slaver's whip and roils over the stunned Barbaracle. The super-effective pain blossoms over Arcos, who starts wailing. Despite his best intentions, Arcos cannot help whimpering and keep his expression implacable. Indeed, the agony is too much. As he reminds himself that he needs to move forward, Arcos steels his mind, which transforms from an unstable house of cards to a obelisk of stone. Filling his mouth with Water, Arcos fires the metaphorical Gun and expectorates a pressurised deluge at his opponent. The inundation slams into Alpha, who bites back his grimace but otherwise fends off the pain. Sparks need to still fly.

Arcos plunges below the midpoint, only a hit above the final third, while Alpha hovers above the second third of health. While Alpha may enjoy a break, Arcos is still okay for two.

-Ironthunder to order.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:16 AM   #84
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

...Forgot Stunfisk had levitation, thought it just flopped around a bit like most fish.

Anyway Arcos, Surf into Scald.
C grade ref.

WF quest log here.

FB stuff here.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:44 PM   #85
Snorby
Snackin'

Thunderbolt, Thunder. Make it a three with Shock Wave if he's still up.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:52 AM   #86
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

ROUND 23: Survivor

ROUND 23: Survivor
Barbaracle vs Stunfisk

Arcos glowers at his opponent and reminds himself that he possesses the power of the sea. And the ocean can overcome all obstacles, especially those with a Ground-typing. Determined to be the final survivor, Arcos siphons some aquatic energy into the nearby pool, which shimmers like a mirage. Within seconds, a tall wall of water rises, before it rushes towards Alpha like a Surfer's wave. When the deluge crashes Alpha into the floor, the Stunfisk gasps in absolute agony and struggles to maintain his composure. Indeed, his entire body pangs in pain, but Alpha is a survivor. He will be the last one remaining. Narrowing his gaze, Alpha charges his entire body with electricity that he abruptly discharges at Arcos. A sizzling Thunderbolt ripples across the Mt Moon Landing, crackling over Arcos's flesh.

Shrieking in pain, Arcos staggers backwards, but he doesn't relent in this battle. While he peels himself off the ground, the Barbaracle fills himself with righteous rage towards his opponent, and something boiling and brash rushes through Arcos. Seething, Arcos belches a Scalding blast of water, which splatters across Alpha with a rush of steam. Immediately, Alpha's skin begins to blister, burning as though it is under a cattle prod; Alpha screams in pain, his voice hitching. The Stunfisk does not call quits, though. Indeed, Alpha's desire to outwit, outplay, and outlast trumps all other thoughts, and Alpha regains himself from that super-effective shock. Ignoring his burn, Alpha lunges at Arcos and reels off a Thunderous storm of electricity. Sparks clatter and careen, as Arcos screams from this brutalising shock. The momentum of the blow knocks Arcos onto his back, and the Barbaracle's vision cuts to black.

---

Arcos is unable to battle! Snorby and Alpha are the winners!

Snorby earns 6 TP and 3 KOs for his victory
Ironthunder earns 3 TP for his loss
Schadenfreude earns 6SP for fast refs

Feedback: Strong showing from both of you, but Ironthunder, don't use Metronome. You did much better from Scolipede, however. Good use of Venoshock. Snorby put off Heal Belling for so long that he nearly lost that match-up. Either way, this was a good match. And with that, I take my reprieve.

Thank you for using the Schadenfreude Reffing Services. Hopefully, you enjoyed the reffings!
Old 10-03-2015, 09:53 AM   #87
Snorby
Snackin'

Good match, Iron, and thanks for the quick and solid reffings, Schaden. Iron, you had wanted feedback, so here it is:

Spoiler: show
Squad:
Pretty decent use of Equiall 4 here, but it's a bit ground weak- Samurott, Chesnaught, Greninja, Golduck all could have been nice, and without them I was able to bring Nidoking/MSteelix/Stunfisk to exploit your weakness.

It's important to know your opponent- I'm an aspiring Electric GL who took your OC immediately after being told he needed to use more electrics not named Eelektross (among other things) to get his gym. The was no way in fresh hell I wasn't packing at least one, if not two, electrics here- therefore, bringing 2 Electric weak mon, 1 Ground type, and 1 neutral mon with Ground offtype was probably not the best idea. I definitely think bringing Chesnaught would have been smart with this in mind, and if you were especially nervous Diggersby could have been a solid option as well.

Lead Choice (Lanturn vs Clefable):
This... really hurt you in the long run. This goes back to what I was saying earlier about knowing your opponent. I'm an electric GL hopeful leading with a Lanturn. If you bring out one of your aces in the hole (Clefable, here) yes, it MIGHT work, but it
more likely than not won't because I'll know that Drapion, Steelix, or even Honedge could take on Clefable with ease, while Lanturn is likely better saved for a different matchup. If I were you, I would have gone with Scolipede from the start here- which you did go with in the end, good on you for that. Scoli has ample typespam on Lanturn in the form of Solarbeam and Projectile Spikes, while Lanturn has nothing but Psybeam to retaliate with. That said, the matchup is close enough to neutral- and, importantly, I have no option that is infinitely better- all matchups would be more or less neutral, with the ones that give me any advantage whatsoever being rather slight and not worth the switch. Now, the actual matchup of Clefable vs Lanturn didnt last long, so I'll just skip right to...

Drapion vs Clefable
Overall, you played pretty solidly here. You were in a really bad matchup, but mostly you did what you could with it. Your main problem here was trying too play a little to conservatively and trying to save yourself from damage too much- When you're facing an opponent that has a Typespam STAB on you, that just doesn't work. That's delaying the inevitable of you getting KO'd first, when instead your goal should have been to soften up Drapion us much as possible so your next choice could absolutely blow Drapion out of the water. Instances where you took a mediocre defensive route as opposed to a preferable offensive one were: Mud Slap, both Aromatherapies (Sludge Bomb and boosted Venoshock do the same amount), and, importantly, the Metronome. In all of these cases, a simple Moonblast would have been much, MUCH better. If you had gone for Moonblast over these four attacks, Drapion would have died one turn earlier. Importantly, this means that the next matchup would have gone much better. Speaking of the next matchup...

Drapion vs Marowak
This... did not go well for you. Honestly, you pretty clearly put no thought into your orders during these two rounds. A simple use of Bulldoze here or there would have been leagues better- Marowak was the ace you had up your sleeve against my team. Literally my entire team was Ground weak; you could have very easily exploited this, but because you got careless on some orders I was able to exploit them and take your Marowak all the way to the final third with an already half-beaten Pokemon. The slip-ups you made here truly became problematic when they were exacerbated by...

Lanturn vs Marowak
Ouch. This was only one round, but it stung badly. You opted to use your chance to attack here on Stealth Rock, which everything left on my team actually resists. You could have utilized moves like Screech or even Magic!Rock Climb to make this scenario work better. Not to mention, you had a super-effective STAB that you completely neglected- Screech + Bonemerang would have not only done more damage than your actual orders did, but they would have let you live another round to perhaps get off another Bonemerang- that takes Lanturn close to the midpoint right there!

Lanturn vs Scolipede
Another example of your need to apply pressure. While I ultimately fucked up at the last second and overestimated how quickly Lanturn would be able to move while exhausted, that doesn't change the fact that you had two perfectly good offtypes- Solarbeam and Projectile Spikes- to maul Lanturn with, yet didn't make use of either of them! Had you used them, you easily could have ended it much earlier, and perhaps made a comeback- Scolipede vs Stunfisk would've been winnable for sure had you been healthier. Also, you honestly gave me a bunch of opportunities you really could have avoided- you didn't even try to stop me from soaking and confusing you, for one, and that cost you a lot of ground.

Stunfisk vs Barbaracle
Honestly, the only thing you could have done here was start in the pool so I couldn't Bulldoze you and get such a strong lead so quickly. After that first round, it was basically a matter of dishing out typespam, and with (again) your hesitance at times to pull the trigger on typespam, I was able to easily keep control of the matchup and take the win here.

Advice: Make sure your squad has decent defensive synergy, at least until you feel confident enough to take on a type your squad has an innate weakness to. In addition, you definitely need to pull the trigger with your typespam more often, and to a lesser extent need to be more careful about giving your opponent free rounds to do as they please in- ordering first is crucial for that! Final aside is to take into consideration who you're fighting and what their squad/likely picks are like while you squad.

Plus Side: You played rather well with Scolipede, and you might have been able to take out Stunfisk had you started Barbaracle in the pool, so good on you there. You also played pretty solidly with just a few missteps in Drapion vs Clefable, coming off with a shitload of health shaved away from Drapion despite the massive type disadvantage. Kudos.

Last edited by Snorby; 10-03-2015 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:03 PM   #88
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

ok, thanks! I'll leave my sort-of explanations around here. Maybe help show you my issues.
Spoiler: show
Squadding's always a biggie, because at the time I was squadding, there was literally Golduck and Samurott that fared not-shit against Ground. When I saw your team, I panicked because I had nothing to face a Lanturn with, hence the 'lead with the strongest'.

Clefable was a panic choice. Lanturn countered pretty much everything I had, so I panicked and went with my best choice and hoped it'd work. It didn't, and that's when in my eyes, this was lost. Round one, if not earlier. I also hated its limited offtype, because I had literally like, one Flamethrower or one Thunderbolt in the tank. And I always get fucked by this, so hence the Metronomes. It usually had a better chance of being useful than Clefable's movepool.

Marowak was a response to the issue as it stood. Never knew it hit Lanturn for SE, but even then there wasn't too much it could've thrown at it to do too much, Ground moves as a rule fail in water and all. Plus, forgot it had Bulldoze.

Scolipede... Eurgh, never used it before, so trying to get a grasp of how it worked. I hate using Solarbeam simply because iirc, whenever I tried to use it before it never got more than a slight partial.

Barbaracle was a panic. I didn't start in the water because Electric moves used in water do slightly more damage, and I knew that'd fuck me regardless because you'd be abusing that. Plus, I was trying to pull the typespam trigger with Water, because it's still SE and Barbaracle had... not much else. Maybe some Ground, but you were still levitating.

All in all, I think I just gave up way too early and forgot some stuff. Like Spikes. And Bulldoze.
C grade ref.

WF quest log here.

FB stuff here.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL