UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Suggestions and Inquiries

Old 03-07-2015, 06:37 AM   #51
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

So since we can just toss around ideas, I had a couple for arenas I'd like to share.

First, I was thinking of making a Park arena, basically you can call it a Lawn Arena with some Concrete sidewalks thrown in, there can be a few trees around with streetlights, park benches and maybe a fountain. There'd also be onlookers and the arena would be a bit larger than a usual arena. So it's similar to the City Square Arena Spark was talking about on the first page, basically.

I'm not sure if City Rooftops are an arena yet, but can we do that? I was thinking of an advanced arena where the Pokemon can jump around tightly packed rooftops with various objects (Bicycles, pots, etc) in a city to get around, there'd also be strong wind currents to prevent Pokemon from falling and instead serve for aerodynamic 'Mons to ride around the rooftops in a fast manner, as long as they ride with the wind, obviously. We could also add wild Pokemon like Meowth, Pidove and other things that could he considered urban. Sure, my ideas are pretty horrendous and likely complicated, but we do have some complicated arenas, so I don't think it's that impossible.
Kuvario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:56 AM   #52
Slash
Poison Jam

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
> DT
My bigger concern is more, what about the theoretical Ice or Water that would like the desert? The Grass one seems okay, because it lists options for exceptions, but I'm honestly really hesitant about explicit nerfs under that much of a blanket. Good thing to bring up.

I feel like the giving explicit enthusiasm is a good idea, though.

>DL
I like everything but the wild Pokemon bit.
As may be expected though, our clear winner here was Kairne, ASB's champion of prioritizing the pokemon you like over those that are objectively better. I mean, one of his mains is a Watchog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezey12 View Post
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.
Leader of the "Stop Screwing Over Smeargle" Brigade

ASB
Spoiler: show
Art by Kairne
ASB
[URL="http://forums.upnetwork.net/showthread.php?t=4387"]
Daisy Art:

Battlecuts courtesy of DaisyInari

Random stuffs:

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:10 AM   #53
Sneaze
#SWAG

Send a message via Skype™ to Sneaze
The Park idea isn't terrible but we already have so many arenas that are basically in that realm of "this is a variant on x arena" that it's kinda meh.

The Rooftops arena is a guaranteed way to have half the battle be trying to throw eachother off the roof, and no amount of wind is going to change how gravity works.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Whatever Sneasel says is right
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:27 AM   #54
Slash
Poison Jam

Yeah but Sneeze, you can say that about any arena with any high places. That shouldn't stop us from ever having arenas with high places.

Just make them like, two-story at best, wind currents to give wind resistance, and point out that Pokemon are hardy fuckers that ain't going to be much more than shaken from that kind of drop, and it should be fine.
As may be expected though, our clear winner here was Kairne, ASB's champion of prioritizing the pokemon you like over those that are objectively better. I mean, one of his mains is a Watchog.
Quote:
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

ASB
Art by Kairne
ASB
Daisy Art:

Random stuffs:

Old 03-07-2015, 11:10 AM   #55
Aposteriori
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash View Post
> DT
My bigger concern is more, what about the theoretical Ice or Water that would like the desert? The Grass one seems okay, because it lists options for exceptions, but I'm honestly really hesitant about explicit nerfs under that much of a blanket. Good thing to bring up.

I feel like the giving explicit enthusiasm is a good idea, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aposteriori View Post
If we go the explicit route for the sake of newer referees, also leave it open ended that even if the type is not mentioned directly, a referee can discretely decide to be inclusive of that pokemon.
The individual SC should cover that exception in the same vein that desert-like environments are not detrimental to the cacti pokemon or that despite being a steel type, Steelix is not adversely affected by heat.
Aposteriori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:11 AM   #56
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
I'm generally in favour of just saying things like "the arena is hot and dry" and letting the ref deal with the effects on their own judgement. A few guidelines at best. Explicit "X feature has Y specific effects" get on my tits (hence my general hatred of almost every gym arena ever submitted) because you can almost always find an exception where the effect listed is stupid.

Also with arenas that are just small variations on existing ones; you know you can just make up arenas as you like when you go to battle as long as they aren't stupid, right? Like for example the current iteration of Pumello was just something I wrote on the fly for a levelling match I was having a few years back. Lawn/Rock/Concrete/Pool/etc are just example of basic arenas/featues, not a "this is all you can use" exhaustive list.

Last edited by Concept; 03-07-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:29 AM   #57
Aposteriori
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
I'm generally in favour of just saying things like "the arena is hot and dry" and letting the ref deal with the effects on their own judgement. A few guidelines at best. Explicit "X feature has Y specific effects" get on my tits (hence my general hatred of almost every gym arena ever submitted) because you can almost always find an exception where the effect listed is stupid.
I think that general thought is more idealistic than anything, and it is definitely appealing for more experienced referees. In that matter the rules are geared more for people who have a better understanding of language and deductive thinking. It takes a lot of getting used to before the newer referees start to lose credibility because they make these silly mistakes. Explicit mention and when to stray away is easier to grasp in my opinion than implicit mention. I do agree that there should be more vagueness in the gym arenas and not a defacto nerf because of some magical factor attached to the arena.

In the grand scheme of things, including strings of words like "the arena is hot and dry therefore most fire and dragons will feel comfortable and most water, ice, and grass will feel uncomfortable" allows enough "referee's discretion" defense to include rational exceptions to the rule.

If the rules become clear and apparent, future referees will have less apprehension to give reffing a try for long term period. Most referees fickle out after reffing an average of 4-5 matches because they just really lose their self confidence.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:33 AM   #58
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

My thought has always been the opposite; refs mostly get dissuaded when their battlers are dicks, and the more explicit you get with effects the more likely battlers are to have a go at the ref when they exercise good judgement because their judgement fell outside the letter of the rules. I like to leave as much room as possible for the LOs to come in and tell the battlers they're wrong and the ref is right. In my experience, stuff like "most water, ice, and grass will feel uncomfortable" just leads to battlers demanding an exhaustive, multipost explanation as to why that didn't apply in this specific case and then going to S&I before finally getting told to shut up by a goldnbold. That's not a pleasant environment for refs.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:53 AM   #59
Aposteriori
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
My thought has always been the opposite; refs mostly get dissuaded when their battlers are dicks, and the more explicit you get with effects the more likely battlers are to have a go at the ref when they exercise good judgement because their judgement fell outside the letter of the rules. I like to leave as much room as possible for the LOs to come in and tell the battlers they're wrong and the ref is right. In my experience, stuff like "most water, ice, and grass will feel uncomfortable" just leads to battlers demanding an exhaustive, multipost explanation as to why that didn't apply in this specific case and then going to S&I before finally getting told to shut up by a goldnbold. That's not a pleasant environment for refs.
Good point. One or the other is all I ask!

In a distant future, my points on enthusiasm could be curbed in an updated school for newbies post.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:05 PM   #60
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

In fairness I am just very cynical and it would be worth hearing what other people think about more vs less specificying stuff for new refs. Particularly what new refs think.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:42 PM   #61
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash View Post
Yeah but Sneeze, you can say that about any arena with any high places. That shouldn't stop us from ever having arenas with high places.

Just make them like, two-story at best, wind currents to give wind resistance, and point out that Pokemon are hardy fuckers that ain't going to be much more than shaken from that kind of drop, and it should be fine.
The Cruise Liner arena does mention that if a Pokemon is knocked overboard, the arena is pretty much the Ocean Arena. Maybe the Rooftop arena could become a modified Concrete arena when a Pokemon falls off, or better yet, we have other lower roofs for the Pokemon to land on so they won't get smashed into the ground. The lowest roof would be two-story while the highest can be...say four-stories, or something. The Mall arena is somewhat complex anyway, so I think this is workable.
Kuvario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:25 PM   #62
Slash
Poison Jam

I for one actually really love that idea and would want to battle in such an environment, so long as there was reasonable note that straight 40-foot drops ain't gonna be happening
Quote:

ASB
Art by Kairne
ASB
Daisy Art:

Random stuffs:

Old 03-07-2015, 04:29 PM   #63
Zelphon
Happy October

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
Clearly all arenas with notable drops should just have a clause where they teleport back onto the arena.

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:19 PM   #64
Aposteriori
Banned

Any reason why the swamp no longer has a fog or will special rules be addressed at a later point?
Old 05-20-2015, 05:02 PM   #65
Zelphon
Happy October

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
Note sure if this is the appropriate place for this, but I wrote an arena I'm reasonably proud of so I'm plopping it here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Void’s Paradise:
Here in this strange, void like dimension exists only one thing, a moderately sized island made out a weird black, rainbow speckled material. This island itself is perfectly flat & round, with about 30 feet of space being available in all directions from the center, with the ground going down enough for even a Steelix being able to fully submerge with plenty of wiggle room. Despite the rather odd appearance of everything here, the strangest part of this arena, are the powers at be within it, the area materializing just about anything combatants may want, with anything from water, to rocks, to trees & even small platforms or walls appearing for use in battles. Although more complicated things do require a significant amount of mental investment (a move) to form materials for moves are generally pretty easy to conjure up here. Ref’s discretion should be practiced here to decide what is allowable. In order to avoid potentially horrible things, any pokemon who falls off the edge of this arena, will find themselves teleported to the center. Significantly important constructs such as platforms will be reasonably destructible only having about Moderate health or less. Aquatically bound pokemon (Fish mon that can’t walk) gain a sort of flight, the air within the island allowing them to move around up to 5 feet above the ground just as if they where swimming.

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:10 AM   #66
Connor
Who Knows?

I am great! And late! Obviously these are still open to minor changes (additions, clarifications), so criticise away.

General Rules

Some arenas may be able to be conducted either indoors or outdoors. These arenas will have tags next to the arena name indicating as much, and when used in battles, one must be chosen.

Battles conducted indoors will not be subject to weather changing moves. These include Sunny Day, Rain Dance, Hail and Sandstorm. Sandstorm may be used where there is suitable means as dictated by the Attack Description, but Sunny Day and Rain Dance will always fail, while Hail will only succeed if used by a member of the Snover line. Battles conducted outdoors will have no such restrictions, and weather moves will only fail if the arena description states as much.

If an arena is noted to be particularly cold, Pokemon unsuited to these conditions will consequently tire at a faster rate. Conversely, Pokemon unsuited to intensely hot arenas will tire more quickly. However, it is important to take into consideration that Pokemon are hardy creatures. Conditions will need to be somewhat intense for these effects to fully materialise.

Certain moves will be less potent depending on the terrain of the arena. Ground moves such as Earthquake or Bulldoze will be notably less powerful in arenas with loose ground, such as Desert or Sand arena. However, they will also be significantly less effective in arenas which are particularly sturdy, as Pokemon need to be able to transmit the energy by vibrating the surface beneath them. For example, these moves will almost certainly fail if used on the Concrete arena. Earth Power, despite being a Ground move, will function in the opposite manner. Sturdier arenas will cause it to become weaker if not outright fail, while looser terrain will allow it to work as intended, with the ideal medium being sand or something similar. Stealth Rock and other, non-Magic Rock moves will fail in arenas which do not have ample rocks within the arena to manipulate.

When it comes to object placement within the arena, such as boulders within the Rock arena or trees within the Forest arena, the referee should always defer to the battlers. Within reason, if one of the batters mentions positioning of an object, the battler is considered to be correct unless it contradicts a previous statement.

Lawn: [Indooors/Outdoors] One of the most basic battling arenas. A large, well kept lawn area, situated outside. Rocks can be easily summoned from underground for use in attacks like Stealth Rock, and attacks such as Earthquake will transmit readily.

Concrete: [Indoors/Outdoors] A large concrete slab situated outside. As the ground is made of pure concrete, very few Pokemon will be able to affect the terrain, with only the likes of Steelix being able to manipulate it for attacks such as Rock Tomb or Earthquake.

Sand: [Indoors/Outdoors] A very basic arena which simply consists of sand underfoot. The sand is deep enough for even the largest of Pokemon to submerge within using Dig, with the obvious stipulation that most Pokemon will feel uncomfortable being submerged for extended periods of time. Moves such as Earthquake and Bulldoze will be slightly less powerful here, but there are plenty of rocks embedded below to facilitate the use of Stealth Rock and other such attacks.

Clay: [Indooors/Outdoors] A large battling surface constructed of Clay, which runs down into the ground. This will result in attacks such as Rock Tomb taking slightly longer to execute, but they will still function as normal. However, Ground based attacks such as Earthquake and Earth Power will suffer no deficit in how they function.

Pool [with Pontoons]: [Indoors/Outdoors] One of the more simplistic battling arenas. The primary focus of this arena is the large pool situated at the center. The pool is comfortably wide, unable to be crossed within a round. Likewise, the pool has a fairly deep base, able to accommodate even the largest of Pokemon, although their movements will be restricted somewhat. The water is clear and has a high degree of visibility, meaning Pokemon situated within the water can be easily located and targeted from outside. The outside of the pool itself is simple terrain, open to standard manipulation. Optionally battlers can include pontoons within the water, which will float on the surface and provide a fairly sturdy foothold for the majority of Pokemon, within reason.
Optional [Extension] Frozen Pool: All stipulations of the Pool arena, however, a thick layer of ice covers the surface of the pool, able to hold most Pokemon with ease, though may be broken with significant force. The freezing did not occur from normal means, causing the surface to be rough as opposed to a flat sheet, with large icicle stalagmites reaching from the surface, some up to several feet tall, which can be used as means of defense or to change momentum of Pokemon skidding on the ice.

Forest: The trees of the Forest arena are fairly densely packed, but this will only restrict the movements of larger Pokemon. The trees will obviously offer some sort of cover for battling Pokemon, and are easily climbable. Flying Pokemon may find navigating the higher reaches of the Forest hard due to the density of the branches. Rocks are easily summonable from the arena, and attacks such as Earthquake and Bulldoze will transmit readily. Setting fire to the surroundings is dissuaded and difficult due to the danger it presents, but entirely possible. This arena is outdoors only.
Optional [Extension] Rainforest: All stipulations of the Forest arena, only the humidity of the air and general moisture held within the arena makes Fire types fairly uncomfortable in this arena, and setting fire to the trees will be near enough impossible.

Rock: [Indoors/Outdoors] A simple arena, the Rock arena consists primarily of fairly easily manipulated soil. The ground underfoot is rife with rocks and other such minerals, meaning attacks such as Stealth Rock work with impunity, and attacks such as Earthquake will transmit readily. The main aspect setting the Rock arena apart is the numerous boulders interspersed across the field. These will provide ample cover for most smaller Pokemon, and are open for manipulation. This includes being used to fuel attacks such as Rock Slide, as well as being able to be thrown by some stronger Pokemon. Within reason, if one of the batters mentions positioning of a rock, the battler is considered to be correct unless it contradicts a previous statement.

Cave: Battles in this arena will take place situated within a rather large cave system. Most battles will take place in the most spacious of these caves, a rather sizable affair which will accommodate complex movements from even the most large of Pokemon. Both stalagmites and stalactites appear in the cave, offering cover for small Pokemon and roosting spots for Flying types respectively. Both may be used in the fueling of attacks such as Rock Slide. Although attacks such as Earthquake and Bulldoze work as normal in this arena, they are dissuaded, as they may damage the structure and cause a cave in. In the event of this, Pokemon will have ample time to escape to an adjoining area, though this will be understandably smaller while retaining the same features of the main room. Being within a cave system, this arena should be treated as if it were indoors.

Beach: The Beach arena consists of a sandy shore fronted by a clear, temperate sea. Pokemon will be able to see both into and out of the water with little trouble despite the waves lapping at the shore, and there are no currents which would make Pokemon particularly uncomfortable, although Pokemon who struggle to swim will still experience difficulty. Due to the loose nature of the sand, moves such as Earthquake and Bulldoze will suffer a deficit in power, but Earth Power will function as normal. Situated in the water is a buoy system designed to not allow Pokemon to back too far into the water, ensuring the battle remains situated around the Beach itself. This arena is outdoors only.

Mountainside: The Mountainside arena is situated on the slope of Mt. Coronet. Initially the battle takes place on a gentle slope, the surroundings little more than a lush meadow extending up the side of the hill. The terrain underfoot is easily manipulated by moves such as Earthquake and Stealth Rock. As the battle progresses up the Mountainside, vegetation will become more scarce, and the slope will increase, with few Pokemon being to advance beyond this point. For those suited to battling within frozen conditions or Pokemon able to scale the Mountain with impunity, such as Flying types or those who levitate, the upper reaches of Mt. Coronet may be battled upon. Here the slope is at it's steepest, but numerous flattened plateaus litter the climb, ample footholds for those who can reach them. The weather here is locked perpetually into Hail, with all the accompanying effects. This arena is outdoors only.

Desert: The Desert arena is situated amidst huge sand dunes. The elevated sand will provide unstable footing at best for those unsuited to navigating the arena, and the intense heat will render Water and Ice type Pokemon uncomfortable, while the arid conditions will leave Grass type Pokemon unfamiliar with the environment uncomfortable. Beneath the surface of the sand are numerous large rock suitable for use in attacks like Stealth Rock, and there are likewise boulders jutting from the surface of the dunes which can provide cover for smaller Pokemon and be used to fuel attacks such as Rock Slide. Within reason, if one of the batters mentions positioning of an arena aspect, the battler is considered to be correct unless it contradicts a previous statement. This arena is outdoors only.

Pummelo: [Indoors/Outdoors] A simple arena, the Pummelo arena consists primarily of fairly easily manipulated soil, with a large circular pool situated at the center of the arena. The pool is deep enough to accomodate most Pokemon, but larger Pokemon will be unable to do more complex maneuvers. The pool is roughly as wide as it is deep. The ground of the remaining arena is rife with rocks and other such minerals, meaning attacks such as Stealth Rock work with impunity, and attacks such as Earthquake will transmit readily. The main aspect setting the Rock arena apart is the numerous boulders interspersed across the field. These will provide ample cover for most smaller Pokemon, and are open for manipulation. This includes being used to fuel attacks such as Rock Slide, as well as being able to be thrown by some stronger Pokemon. Within reason, if one of the batters mentions positioning of a rock, the battler is considered to be correct unless it contradicts a previous statement.

Graveyard: The Graveyard is an ominous place, and the atmosphere created by the eerie surroundings will render all but the most staunch of Pokemon on edge when battling here. This effect does not extend to Ghost or Dark type Pokemon, who feel much more comfortable in these surroundings. Although the surrounding gravestones can be destroyed or used in attacks, this is not advised. Any sort of damage dealt to the gravestones will be immediately punished, with the spirits of those residing within the grave inflicting a debilitating curse on the Pokemon who damaged them, reducing their offensive stats slightly. The ground here is simply made up of a well kept lawn, meaning the ground is open to manipulation. Importantly, moves such as Bulldoze will have no effect upon the destruction of the gravestones. Battles in the Graveyard will always be undertaken at night, with all the appropriate effects, most notably reduced visibility for those unable to see well in the dark. This arena is outdoors only.

Greenhouse: A large metal and glass construct, typically in the shape of a dome. The Greenhouse envelops a large, indoors forest, with all manners of foliage imaginable. Most notably, numerous trees are interspersed throughout the surroundings. The ground underfoot is made simply of soil, and is easily manipulated. Sunlight coming from outside will be amplified by the glass, making moves such as Synthesis more efficient and allowing Solar Beam a quicker charge time. Grass Pokemon will feel much more comfortable in these surroundings than any other Pokemon. This arena is considered to be indoors.

Dojo: A simple Japanese Dojo. The floor underfoot is made of wooden timbers upon which tatami mats have been laid, meaning attacks such as Earthquake and Stealth Rock will fail entirely. The Dojo itself is rather small, though only exceptionally large Pokemon will find difficulty, and the structure itself is liable for destruction. Should the battling spill out of the Dojo for any reason, the battle will end up taking place in a Meadow. The meadow is a simple extension, being an expansive grassy plain with no special rules. Rocks can be easily summoned from underground for use in attacks like Stealth Rock, and attacks such as Earthquake will transmit readily.

Sea: A very simplistic arena, which takes place entirely at sea. It is strongly advised only aquatic, levitating or flight capable Pokemon are used in this arena, as there are no footholds for land based Pokemon. The water of the sea itself is temperate, and there are no particularly strong currents, although there are weaker flows which may help with mobility somewhat. The water is to be considered mostly clear, having no effect on visibility, except at large distances. This arena is outdoors only.

Ocean Liner: Battles here take place upon the deck of a large Ocean Liner. The floor underfoot is made of pure steel, entirely unable to be manipulated. There will be onlookers for this battle, but they cannot be targeted and will be smart enough to remove themselves from the vicinity if the battle should spill towards them. Anything which can be feasibly pictured as on the deck of an Ocean Liner is open for manipulation, with deck chairs being a prominent feature. There is also a rather large pool situated at the center of the deck, which is large enough to accommodate most aquatic Pokemon. The battle can also spill out to the surrounding sea. Here, waters are fairly temperate, but there are no footholds for land based Pokemon. The currents are mild, not having any drastic effect of swimming ability, and any new Pokemon will be released on the deck of the Liner.

Volcano: One of the most complex arenas, and definitely not recommended for newer trainers or referees. The battle will take place suspended within the bowels of a large, active volcano. The majority of the battle will be situated over a large concrete platform with is situated some distance above the surface of the lava below. The platform has more than ample space for battles to ensue, and indestructible metal girders hold it into the walls of the volcano, meaning it cannot be destroyed. This does not prevent battles from spilling down into the deeper sections of the volcano, however. Down here footholds will be more sparce, with numerous rocky ledges interspersed around the edges, providing ample foothold for even the largest Pokemon. There are also small 'crossing points' allowing Pokemon to make their way out onto the lava without incurring damage, but these footholds are less secure and Pokemon are liable to be knocked into the lava. Any Pokemon knocked into the lava will not struggle to get free, as panic coupled with the availability of ample foothold will see them escape in a timely manner. Pokemon dunked into the lava will suffer between Good and Significant damage, depending on how long they are exposed for. Damage may exceed Significant for exceptional cases. Pokemon are generally quite hardy, but will still suffer fairly nasty burns if they are within the lava for too long. This arena is considered to be conducted indoors.

Swamp: The Swamp arena is a rather basic arena. The ground underfoot will be soft and will give way to most Pokemon with any notable weight, their movement becoming restricted as their feet sink somewhat. There are numerous small ponds interspersed throughout the arena, with water enough to conjure attacks such as Surf, as well as housing aquatic Pokemon comfortably. There are numerous trees extending upwards out of the ground. Attacks such as Bulldoze and Earthquake will suffer somewhat thanks to the softness of the ground underfoot, but there are enough rocks for attacks such as Stealth Rock to work with impunity. This arena is outdoors only.

Creek: A small, flowing creek hidden in the back woods, which flows at a fairly swift pace. Most Pokemon will be able to traverse the current with ease, though particularly light or small combatants may have some issue. The creek is about fifteen feet across at most points, differing by only a few feet here and there, and is consistently about five feet deep at the center. A small makeshift bridge stretches across the creek at the center, where the battle will typically begin, and though it is fairly sturdy and able to hold the average combatants with ease, it can be broken with enough force. The creek's left bank is largely flat with the odd vegetation and a good amount of trees for climbing and cover, while the right bank quickly shifts into a steep hill, rising about twenty feet before flattening out again, and lacks any real form of vegetation whatsoever. This arena is outdoors only.

Ice Path: Situated to the East of Mahogany Town, Icy Path stands as the sole barrier preventing many trainers from reaching Blackthorn City. Battles here take place at the expansive entrance way. The battle field stretches out wide on either side, with the floor below being comprised of a thick, unbreakable layer of ice, meaning most Pokemon will struggle to find stable footing. Rocks jut from the ice here and there, and Pokemon can use these as means of support to belay their slipping. The air within the cave is also incredibly cold, and this will have an effect on the battling Pokemon not accustomed to the conditions, causing them to become tired at a slightly quicker pace. As always, within reason, if one of the batters mentions positioning of an object, the battler is considered to be correct unless it contradicts a previous statement. This arena is outdoors only.

Town Square: Battles here take place amidst an expansive, albeit abandoned, Town Square. The cobbled flooring provides more than ample footing for any battling within the arena, but will prevent attacks such as Earthquake or Stealth Rock. The exits to the Town Square have been blocked off to stop the battling from spilling out into the outer areas of Town. Scenic furniture from local cafes litter the arena, and in the center of the Square there is a sizable fountain, large enough for most aquatic Pokemon to reside in with somewhat restricted movement. As always, within reason, if one of the batters mentions positioning of an object, the battler is considered to be correct unless it contradicts a previous statement. This arena is outdoors only.

Playground: Battles here take part within a large, school Playground. The main battle will take place within the center of the park. The ground below is lawn, the grass kept cut short. Rocks can be easily summoned from underground for use in attacks like Stealth Rock, and attacks such as Earthquake will transmit readily. Surrounding the area will be numerous pieces of Playground equipment, ranging from swings to slides. These can be uprooted by Pokemon of sufficient strength, but this will be no easy task. Within reason, if one of the batters mentions positioning of an object, the battler is considered to be correct unless it contradicts a previous statement. There is a strange atmosphere permeating the entire arena, which will cause baby Pokemon to fight more enthusiastically. This arena is outdoors only.

Zen Garden: Battles here take place in the well kept garden of a monastery. The traditionalist surroundings are simple. The ground consists of well raked sand, underneath which are numerous boulders. While moves like Bulldoze or Earthquake will transmit somewhat worse here due to the sand, but moves such as Stealth Rock will still function as normal due to the embedded boulders. The garden is surrounded by a large wall, which for the purposes of the battle is unable to be scaled. Due to the calming influence of the arena, moves which improve the mental state such as Calm Mind or Amnesia are more potent, while moves which incite anger will be much less potent. Pokemon will also feel much more focused when battling within this arena, heightening their senses. However, these effects will begin to reverse slowly as the arena becomes more destroyed, with Pokemon becoming much more agitated. This arena is outdoors only.

Disco Hall: Battles here take place in a large Disco Hall. While the main lights are turned off, the area is illuminated by lights situated around the edges of the hall, as well as the multicoloured panels decorating the floor. The floor itself will constantly be covered in a fine mist, produced by numerous smoke machines surrounding the hall. This mist may well hinder the visibility of smaller Pokemon, but few will have any serious trouble with it. The music constantly playing within the arena will, however, cause Pokemon to struggle more to focus, leaving them somewhat more susceptible to moves which affect their mental status. This arena is indoors only.

Castelia Sewers: In the underground of Castelia, the sewers have fallen into shoddy disrepair. The waters running through the system have become polluted, becoming much more like sludge than water. The filthy substance will leave any non-Poison Pokemon exposed to it for long enough under the Toxic status. On either side of the running sewers lie concrete walkways, their structures solid despite the neglect. As these walkways are made of pure concrete, very few Pokemon will be able to affect the terrain, with only the likes of Steelix being able to manipulate it for attacks such as Rock Tomb or Earthquake. This arena is indoors only.

Power Plant: Situated due east of Cerulean City, this abandoned plant has quickly become the abode of many Electric type Pokemon. The equipment here retains some of the electrical energy which once surged through them constantly, and this excess power will cause Electric types to tire slightly slower than other Pokemon here. The structure itself is sound, leaving only the likes of Steelix able to manipulate it for attacks such as Rock Tomb or Earthquake. This arena is indoors only.

Mount Moon Clearing: Located within the center reaches of Mount Moon, this clearing is held almost sacred by the local Clefairy and Clefable. Removed from any urban environment, the natural beauty of the surroundings maintain the calming, peaceful atmosphere. Pokemon will feel more at ease here, less liable to be affected by moves intended to intimidate or instill fear. In the center of the clearing rests a pond of perfectly clear water, deep enough to accommodate most aquatic Pokemon, but not deep enough to provide them with any serious hiding place. The ground here is soft and pliable, covered by a luscious grass field. Rocks can be easily summoned from underground for use in attacks like Stealth Rock, and attacks such as Earthquake will transmit readily. This arena is outdoors only.

Dragonspiral Tower: Battles here begin at the foot of the tower, the expansive hallway giving way to a carved stone spiral staircase winding upwards towards the summit. The stairway advances upwards for roughly four stories before giving access to the Tower peak, an open battlefield with numerous pillars extending upwards into the air, large enough to provide cover for Pokemon. The ground here is incredibly tough and rugged, meaning attempts to manipulate it will be near impossible for most Pokemon. The inside of the tower is strangely warm, with thermal currents rising constantly up towards the summit.

Tundra: The Tundra arena is situated amongst a frozen wasteland. There are numerous dunes of snow scattered around the landscape, which will cause those unsuited to the terrain to have unstable footing. The intense chill here will leave most Pokemon uncomfortable, leaving them tiring quicker than those suited to the environment. There is a constant wind here which will cause a permanent snow effect, reducing visibility for Pokemon unused to the conditions. Moves such as Stealth Rock will fail here as there are no rocks beneath the thick coating of snow, and moves such as Bulldoze and Earthquake will barely function due to the loosely packed snow. This arena is outdoors only.

Last edited by Connor; 07-04-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:44 AM   #67
kingothestone
pots Fan Club President

I know emi has brought this up at least once, but the whole "dunked in lava can deal significant damage" thing might want to be looked at. Yes, I'm sure getting dunked in lava hurts, but with burns causing damage nowadays, we're talking about quite a bit of damage. perhaps cap the damage from a single dip in the lava at solid except for in extreme cases?

Other than that,it looks pretty solid, and I'm a huge fan of a nice, standard ice arena.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:47 AM   #68
Connor
Who Knows?

Have changed it to be a less concrete chance of burning, so Pokemon can be dunked in briefly and not suffer burns.

Honestly I think moving it down any further than this completely devalues the arena. Lava is lava - it is meant to be hot and not fun to be pushed into. Part of the entire point of Volcano arena is bringing stuff which can actually abuse the lava while not being too shafted by it themselves.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:49 AM   #69
Lady Kuno
Prepare to die

I feel like physically powerful ground types should be able to mess around on concrete, and not just Steelix.

Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:51 AM   #70
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Schadenfreude
Could we look at integrating the Mall Arena and Disco Hall Arena? Both of them are reasonably popular and having more complex indoor arenas in a standardised form would be great. Off the top of my head, Disco Hall in particular has been used a lot and could easily become a nice Standard "Indoor" Arena. The Disco Hall's current description isn't the best, but if we could somehow include them in a newer, sexier form into the New Arenas, that would be spiffy. The Mall description could do with some simplification, though. I have no idea where the Galleria is, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Current Descriptions according to site
The Disco Hall: Should trainers wish, they might battle in the disco hall. A large hall, much the same size as a school gym. The floor is covered in alternating colored flashing tiles. There is a lot of mist, from the smoke machines fitted into the walls at meter intervals, about a meter from the floor. All around the walls are tables, with goodies and treats on them, like crisps, and biscuits. Near the north of the arena is a mixing deck, controlled by a man with a large afro. Multicolored beams of light protrude from the mixing decks cupboards. Think of the lights on the 20th century FOX logo. Pokemon are released in the center of the room.
Special rules: Artificial Lighting, Fire Sprinklers, Fog, Onlookers

Shopping Mall: The battle takes place in, around, or on top of a large indoor shopping mall (Californians, think the Galleria in Roseville). Amongst the various A/C and filtration systems on the rooftop, there are also some glass skylights (including a Hugh Jass one in the middle of the roof), which, if broken, open up a way into the mall, which is like a standard concrete indoor arena with 2 levels (with the second level being walkways along the wall: thus, a Pokemon can see the second level from the first level, and vice versa), a bunch of onlookers, and lots of property to destroy. There's also some parking lots and the occasional outdoor promenade on the outside of the mall. Finally, since there are some larger retailers here (Sears, JC Penny, The Blonde Mecca (C)) parts of the rooftop are about a couple stories higher than the others. Battles can start anywhere in the arena, be it on the roof, or around or inside the mall itself.
Special Rules: Artificial Lighting (inside mall and parking lot), Building Edge (inside mall/mall roof), Terrain Edge (parking lot), Onlookers, Easily Destroyed, Fire Sprinklers (inside mall only), Roof Level (mall roof only),
Optional Special Rules: Weather (any), Break of Dawn, Night Fight
Great stuff, though. Thanks Connor.

Last edited by Schadenfreude; 07-03-2015 at 09:56 AM.
Schadenfreude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:36 AM   #71
Connor
Who Knows?

Added a rewritten Disco Hall.

Shopping Mall is something I am loathe to include. It's fairly convoluted and is hard to rewrite in a more simple manner. Keeping it to just the roof will leave it being almost identical to the Town Square, just with extra height. Having the entire thing as a standardised arena would just leave a huge description. Trying to cover all the bases for it is unrealistic and I honestly feel we're better off just not including it in these basic arenas.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:46 AM   #72
Emi
ACHILLESSSSS

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Kuno View Post
I feel like physically powerful ground types should be able to mess around on concrete, and not just Steelix.
Yeah ASB has a penis Steelix fetish for some reason. I did suggest some time ago that moves like Earthquake and Bulldoze which use shockwaves to transmit the energy work better on stuff like Concrete because solid rock transmits shockwaves a lot better and suck in stuff like sand while Earth Power which is directly "injecting" the ground energy into the earth work better in sand and other loose constituents but I do believe I got ignored.

Anyways, outside of that I don't think there really needs to be any more arena changes but I'll look through and see if there is anymore neglected types.

Quote:
Zelphon - Today at 5:29 AM
If the current political climate has taught me anything
It's that a purge via gay witches may very well be necessary
Emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:47 AM   #73
Mercutio
Banned

Well we've never really been good at saying what Ground moves work on. Is it hard ground or soft ground? Why is an attack based on energy not good at sand? Fundamentally ASb has moved on from when Earthquake was written 10 years ago we can happily say fuck the old description Earthquake works fine on sand.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:49 AM   #74
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Schadenfreude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
Added a rewritten Disco Hall.

Shopping Mall is something I am loathe to include. It's fairly convoluted and is hard to rewrite in a more simple manner. Keeping it to just the roof will leave it being almost identical to the Town Square, just with extra height. Having the entire thing as a standardised arena would just leave a huge description. Trying to cover all the bases for it is unrealistic and I honestly feel we're better off just not including it in these basic arenas.
Fair 'nuff. I just wanted an extra indoor arena that is more complex than a Dojo. The Disco Hall should do the trick. Could we perhaps do an abbreviated version of the Mall by doing a Food Court arena, then? Simplify the Mall to just the Food Court arena. Lots of tables in an area enclosed by food vendors. Above is a roof with a glass in the middle. Food items are scattered on certain tables, and the items can be eaten. Lots of lights & well-lit. Bland music from loudspeakers mounted on the walls. In the center of the Food Court is an escalator leading to the roof.

Last edited by Schadenfreude; 07-03-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Schadenfreude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:50 AM   #75
Emi
ACHILLESSSSS

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
:P It might be a good thing to discuss in a different thread honestly.

Is there anything we can do for Poison? We kinda already have an arena for every other type (Dragon can work on the Mountainside and Psychic in the Zen Garden) but Poison doesn't shine anywhere, but I can't think of anything. Maybe some kind of poisonous swamp?

Quote:
Zelphon - Today at 5:29 AM
If the current political climate has taught me anything
It's that a purge via gay witches may very well be necessary
Emi is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Suggestions and Inquiries