Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Referees Forum

Old 12-29-2014, 04:45 AM   #51
Sneaze
#SWAG

Send a message via Skype™ to Sneaze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhlosion157 View Post
Worst trainer in ASB, ever!

I want to review this match. I think I was playing decent, but I sure made alot of mistakes. Anybody care to review?
Spoiler: show
Right, so your squad is all and all fairly solid. I see a few key weaknesses that can be picked apart, though, in that you have two Ice weak 'mon, two Water weak 'mon, three Ground weak 'mon, and two Fighting weak 'mon, all of which are incredibly common types, though you do have some fair counters for all but Fighting, so there's that.

Your opponent immediately spots the lack of a Fighting counter and decides to go to town on that with a Pancham, and you choose Cyndaquil to follow up, which is by far and away not your best choice considering Pancham's movepool. Your big problem here, though is you immediately go for a HUGE power attack off the bat. While going first, at that. This is generally not a terrifically good idea in that energy is not a concern early and the foe will waste no time to punish you for it by guarding and attacking. That said, Double Team was a nice defensive choice, normally not great thanks to widespread moves being everywhere, but Pancham doesn't have much to deal with it, so that's good.

Remember that "using a ton of energy early" thing I just talked about? Yeah, you do it immediately in the second round by blowing your three mover. You should almost never be putting out a three that early on unless it can COMPLETELY snowball you and you know you can make it work. In this case you do it entirely to cancel out your foes orders while only managing to destroy a Sub, so I can't see it as worth it.

The energy use catches up to you quickly as you soon start whiffing attacks and allowing your opponent to set up buffs for later. Luckily for you he goes on full defensive for... some reason... I don't know newbies confuse the hell out of me. And for some reason you order two moves completely unable to break through such a defense. Next time try something with a bit more physical force than a Cyndaquil's Double Kick to break through a Rock Tomb.

Another mistake presents itself the next round as you order Dig against something that knows Bulldoze. Always, always, always check your opponent's movepool for attacks that directly counter yours, especially if you happen to be weak for said attacks. Checking movepools will cause your win rate to sky rocket, trust me, every vet does it. Anyway, you suffer huge for this and take a busload of damage, losing the damage race by a fair bit at this point.

You order the next round in a way that completely contradicts how your opponent's if orders work. Remember to run things through in your head, even if the ref does end up with them happening differently sometimes, you can rule out a lot of bad plays like this with ease by re-reading over the orders.

The double Flare Blitz is a nice play, as he's blown one use of Bulldoze and as such can only retaliate effectively against one. You do take a bit of damge but you easily overpower your foe here, so that's good. You push to gain some sort of momentum here, piling on some status and your own typespam on top of it, but it still isn't quite enough. You then make the energy mistake again and find yourself immediately in critical energy, and with your foe switched out to a Totodile, to boot. You do manage to put a dent in it with a SE attack, but ultimately you go down and allow him to set up a boost for the next 'mon.

You go with Elekid, a rather nice choice even without the obvious type advantage, and immediately put pressure back on, ripping through your foe's health like butter. You remain smart enough to avoid the Toxic, even if it means taking a low powered SE hit, while continuing to put on more and more pressure, and it looks like you might manage to pull yourself into the lead thanks to this matchup. Your opponent goes full defensive but you outwit him here thanks to a widespread application of a move, and push your foe into critical.

Here's where things get wonky, though. While you made a good choice in buffing yourself while your foe slept, you easily could have prevented him from Digging in the first place. Elekid gets Screech as well as other disruption moves, and you need to learn the correct time and place for them. This was definitely one of those moments that would have allowed you to finish your foe then and there. That said, your buffing wasn't a terrible call so good on you at least, and you finish it with ease the next round.

You go a bit on the defensive when his Shroomish comes out, which is alright I suppose but you do have a few techniques that would have been more effective such as the disruption I just talked about. Your bigger issue, though, is that you attempt to use limited typespam while going first. Really, really try not to do this unless your foe is incapacitated in some way because anyone worth their salt will punish you hard for it. Luckily it does work out in your favor but that's mostly due to your foe ordering poorly. Ultimately you manage to push your lead until you run out of energy, though you really shouldn't have went with Thunder. Even if you were going to faint anyway, you should avoid NVE moves.

You send out Tyrunt and... do the exact same thing with ordering limited typespam while going first. Seriously don't do that it almost never ends well. Your foe luckily doesn't punish you in time and both attacks hit but again, that seems to have been entirely luck. You properly punish your foe by putting on a lot of pressure that he can't keep up with, so good on you there, even though apparently your ref is incredibly dumb and let you order going second twice in a row...

You eventually take out his Shroomish but here's where your problem from earlier rears it's ugly head. With yourself at a type disadvantage and very little damage actually done to the Pancham, it doesn't look good for you. Ultimately though you hold the energy and health lead, and could have won but decide to use Bide and tank two super effective attacks. You literally would have won if you just used Protect once and an attack.

Final thoughts:
Work on when to apply pressure and when to go on the defensive, as that really hurt you this match.
Your biggest issue was definitely squadding. Try to think about what your opponent might use in response to something and plan out what you'll use next if you win a matchup and what you'll use if you lose a matchup. Plan ahead as much as possible.
Energy use is a big problem, you tired yourself out way too many times considering two of your 'mon were energy KO'd and the third one almost was.
You did a good job dealing with direct threats, though, you just need to learn when it's acceptable to tank a hit and when you should try to avoid it.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Whatever Sneasel says is right
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:31 AM   #52
Typhlosion157
Beat The Heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezey12 View Post
Right, so your squad is all and all fairly solid. I see a few key weaknesses that can be picked apart, though, in that you have two Ice weak 'mon, two Water weak 'mon, three Ground weak 'mon, and two Fighting weak 'mon, all of which are incredibly common types, though you do have some fair counters for all but Fighting, so there's that.

Your opponent immediately spots the lack of a Fighting counter and decides to go to town on that with a Pancham, and you choose Cyndaquil to follow up, which is by far and away not your best choice considering Pancham's movepool. Your big problem here, though is you immediately go for a HUGE power attack off the bat. While going first, at that. This is generally not a terrifically good idea in that energy is not a concern early and the foe will waste no time to punish you for it by guarding and attacking. That said, Double Team was a nice defensive choice, normally not great thanks to widespread moves being everywhere, but Pancham doesn't have much to deal with it, so that's good.

Remember that "using a ton of energy early" thing I just talked about? Yeah, you do it immediately in the second round by blowing your three mover. You should almost never be putting out a three that early on unless it can COMPLETELY snowball you and you know you can make it work. In this case you do it entirely to cancel out your foes orders while only managing to destroy a Sub, so I can't see it as worth it.

The energy use catches up to you quickly as you soon start whiffing attacks and allowing your opponent to set up buffs for later. Luckily for you he goes on full defensive for... some reason... I don't know newbies confuse the hell out of me. And for some reason you order two moves completely unable to break through such a defense. Next time try something with a bit more physical force than a Cyndaquil's Double Kick to break through a Rock Tomb.

Another mistake presents itself the next round as you order Dig against something that knows Bulldoze. Always, always, always check your opponent's movepool for attacks that directly counter yours, especially if you happen to be weak for said attacks. Checking movepools will cause your win rate to sky rocket, trust me, every vet does it. Anyway, you suffer huge for this and take a busload of damage, losing the damage race by a fair bit at this point.

You order the next round in a way that completely contradicts how your opponent's if orders work. Remember to run things through in your head, even if the ref does end up with them happening differently sometimes, you can rule out a lot of bad plays like this with ease by re-reading over the orders.

The double Flare Blitz is a nice play, as he's blown one use of Bulldoze and as such can only retaliate effectively against one. You do take a bit of damge but you easily overpower your foe here, so that's good. You push to gain some sort of momentum here, piling on some status and your own typespam on top of it, but it still isn't quite enough. You then make the energy mistake again and find yourself immediately in critical energy, and with your foe switched out to a Totodile, to boot. You do manage to put a dent in it with a SE attack, but ultimately you go down and allow him to set up a boost for the next 'mon.

You go with Elekid, a rather nice choice even without the obvious type advantage, and immediately put pressure back on, ripping through your foe's health like butter. You remain smart enough to avoid the Toxic, even if it means taking a low powered SE hit, while continuing to put on more and more pressure, and it looks like you might manage to pull yourself into the lead thanks to this matchup. Your opponent goes full defensive but you outwit him here thanks to a widespread application of a move, and push your foe into critical.

Here's where things get wonky, though. While you made a good choice in buffing yourself while your foe slept, you easily could have prevented him from Digging in the first place. Elekid gets Screech as well as other disruption moves, and you need to learn the correct time and place for them. This was definitely one of those moments that would have allowed you to finish your foe then and there. That said, your buffing wasn't a terrible call so good on you at least, and you finish it with ease the next round.

You go a bit on the defensive when his Shroomish comes out, which is alright I suppose but you do have a few techniques that would have been more effective such as the disruption I just talked about. Your bigger issue, though, is that you attempt to use limited typespam while going first. Really, really try not to do this unless your foe is incapacitated in some way because anyone worth their salt will punish you hard for it. Luckily it does work out in your favor but that's mostly due to your foe ordering poorly. Ultimately you manage to push your lead until you run out of energy, though you really shouldn't have went with Thunder. Even if you were going to faint anyway, you should avoid NVE moves.

You send out Tyrunt and... do the exact same thing with ordering limited typespam while going first. Seriously don't do that it almost never ends well. Your foe luckily doesn't punish you in time and both attacks hit but again, that seems to have been entirely luck. You properly punish your foe by putting on a lot of pressure that he can't keep up with, so good on you there, even though apparently your ref is incredibly dumb and let you order going second twice in a row...

You eventually take out his Shroomish but here's where your problem from earlier rears it's ugly head. With yourself at a type disadvantage and very little damage actually done to the Pancham, it doesn't look good for you. Ultimately though you hold the energy and health lead, and could have won but decide to use Bide and tank two super effective attacks. You literally would have won if you just used Protect once and an attack.

Final thoughts:
Work on when to apply pressure and when to go on the defensive, as that really hurt you this match.
Your biggest issue was definitely squadding. Try to think about what your opponent might use in response to something and plan out what you'll use next if you win a matchup and what you'll use if you lose a matchup. Plan ahead as much as possible.
Energy use is a big problem, you tired yourself out way too many times considering two of your 'mon were energy KO'd and the third one almost was.
You did a good job dealing with direct threats, though, you just need to learn when it's acceptable to tank a hit and when you should try to avoid it.
Thank you very much Sneezy! This was extremely good and definitely shows my pros and cons in the match. I will try to apply all the points you listed in future matches.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:35 AM   #53
Sneaze
#SWAG

1.5 SP for meeeeee~

Quote:
Old 12-31-2014, 09:51 AM   #54
KamenAeons
What are you looking at?

You know what? Let's have someone scold me on where I need to improve in my reffings.

Go go Connor vs. Mercutio!

I am very aware that there were multiple instances where I screwed up my reffings, so please don't mince me too heavily. DX

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:12 PM   #55
Quilavaflare
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Quilavaflare
Wow, where has this thread been the last two and a half years of my life? Anyway, obvious is obvious. I need some divine intervention here, please.

My most recent match: SilentReaper vs. Quilavaflare

I just can't understand, it feels like even though I try to use decent tactics, I get slaughtered by someone (or at least it seems like it to me) spamming moves. No offense, it apparently works very well. And yes, I completely bombed after Zorua was KO'd. I pretty much know what I did wrong after that. If anyone could point out the areas I'm still lagging on, I would greatly appreciate it.

Friend Code/Username list
3DS: 0748-3092-2840
Y Trainer Name: Roy
[Friend Safari: Paras, Vivillon, Beautifly]
Pokemon Showdown: Quilavaflare
Nintendo Network: Snowboos

Last edited by Quilavaflare; 01-07-2015 at 09:43 PM.
Quilavaflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:44 AM   #56
Chalis
Activating Rampage

I'm throwing this match here. I feel I did decently, (after the first matchup, of course) but just want more help. This match I reffed, too. I was very fast and my length was good, but I don't know whether I was super-accurate.

Last edited by Chalis; 01-25-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Chalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:39 PM   #57
Sneaze
#SWAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
Terrible trainer approaching!

Anyway, I'd like someone to review the battling I did in this match here. I know I did make a lot of obvious mistakes but maybe someone much better than I am could tell me what I did or did not do right.
Incoming!

Alright, as far as squadding goes, I'll go over the biggest error I see here right off the bat. You squadded second and as far as I can see there is virtually no checks or counters to most of your opponent's squad, especially not to the uplevel Combusken, which only your Froakie really beats. In fact, most of the squad you chose gets beaten by and large by your opponent's squad. When squadding second you really need to focus on checks and counters above most else or you'll be in big trouble later.

Your first pick, Gible, is a little risky with its weakness and the fact that your foe does have a Froakie, but is otherwise a good choice. For some reason Typh decides to have a Dragon off against you and that seems to work for your initial advantage as you use some standard Ground type disruption tactics to take an early lead... except you fail to check the arena and it backfires spectacularly. You try to play catchup but you're just unable to, forcing you to try a last ditch attempt in Endure. Endure is terrible and as a result you go down. You really should have gone with something like Double Team, even if it does leave it up to chance your chances are still gonna be overall better and you probably would have gotten another hit of to put your foe down.

You seem to realize this mistake as you send out Froakie and immediately Double Team, but for some reason you go with a Hydro Pump. You really should have gone with a Blizzard to put a dent thanks to that ugly resistance that Dragon has to Water. Regardless he just has way too much health left and it takes you far too long to take him down, wasting a ton of energy and taking a nice hit in the process.

Typh sends out Elekid, looking to typespam you to death, but you want none of that and just U-Turn out, though you do take a huge hit in the process thanks to all the energy you blew making you much less fresh. You then make what is the most illegal of if-orders I've ever seen to date, and obviously are called out on it. For some reason you make the assumption that your foe will use any form of defensive screen when you already have mixed physical/special orders, and its Psychic energy is better used to typespam you. As a general rule, if your foe is able to choose between typespamming you or using the limited energy for a defensive technique, they'll usually chose the former. You then get unlucky and what should have been a proper way to get rid of your opponent's remaining typespam turns into you getting walloped. Personally I would have gone with Protect instead since his orders would have ended after that point and you could have punished. In fact, your orders are entirely chance based this round, and sadly even the Dynamic Punch doesn't go your way, leaving you further behind on the health race. You go for Double Team again, but your foe easily counters. Try not to use defensive techniques with easy counters when going first or you'll frequently find yourself in this situation. Luckily your rather... odd orders do work out a bit and you at least get some damage off. You also manage to avoid confusion, which is at least an upside. You decide to blow your three to get into a better matchup, but by this point Combusken is in terrible shape and it's not looking good.

Unfortunately Elekid is an Electric type so Volt Switch is a thing. This puts you in yet another bad matchup to try to worm your way out of. You manage to shell out a fair bit of damage thanks to limited typespam, but Abra continues to outdamage you, and you soon blow your second threemover just to stay alive. You fall almost immediately afterwards.

For some reason you choose to go with Combusken and end up taking a good bit of punishment as a result, not even able to take down Abra before deciding to Baton Pass back out again. Luckily you do manage to take down Abra with Froakie, but Elekid comes back out. For some reason your foe decides to use Thunder of all things to break your Tomb, which does save you a bit by allowing you to put it down with Hydro Pump. Unfortunately Froakie is low so the Cubone that comes out afterwards puts it down immediately. Combusken then suffers a similar fate the moment you send him out and you lose the match.

Positive Points:
You seem to have a good grasp of when to go on the offensive and the defensive
You have a good flow for energy usage, keep up with that

Things to Review:
Get a bit better at counter-squadding, it can make or break a match, and it definitely broke this one
Learn specifically which moves are going to be best in a situation, try to think of how your opponent will respond in order to minimize damage taken while maximizing your damage output

Quote:
Old 02-05-2015, 02:00 PM   #58
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezey12 View Post
Incoming!

Alright, as far as squadding goes, I'll go over the biggest error I see here right off the bat. You squadded second and as far as I can see there is virtually no checks or counters to most of your opponent's squad, especially not to the uplevel Combusken, which only your Froakie really beats. In fact, most of the squad you chose gets beaten by and large by your opponent's squad. When squadding second you really need to focus on checks and counters above most else or you'll be in big trouble later.

Your first pick, Gible, is a little risky with its weakness and the fact that your foe does have a Froakie, but is otherwise a good choice. For some reason Typh decides to have a Dragon off against you and that seems to work for your initial advantage as you use some standard Ground type disruption tactics to take an early lead... except you fail to check the arena and it backfires spectacularly. You try to play catchup but you're just unable to, forcing you to try a last ditch attempt in Endure. Endure is terrible and as a result you go down. You really should have gone with something like Double Team, even if it does leave it up to chance your chances are still gonna be overall better and you probably would have gotten another hit of to put your foe down.

You seem to realize this mistake as you send out Froakie and immediately Double Team, but for some reason you go with a Hydro Pump. You really should have gone with a Blizzard to put a dent thanks to that ugly resistance that Dragon has to Water. Regardless he just has way too much health left and it takes you far too long to take him down, wasting a ton of energy and taking a nice hit in the process.

Typh sends out Elekid, looking to typespam you to death, but you want none of that and just U-Turn out, though you do take a huge hit in the process thanks to all the energy you blew making you much less fresh. You then make what is the most illegal of if-orders I've ever seen to date, and obviously are called out on it. For some reason you make the assumption that your foe will use any form of defensive screen when you already have mixed physical/special orders, and its Psychic energy is better used to typespam you. As a general rule, if your foe is able to choose between typespamming you or using the limited energy for a defensive technique, they'll usually chose the former. You then get unlucky and what should have been a proper way to get rid of your opponent's remaining typespam turns into you getting walloped. Personally I would have gone with Protect instead since his orders would have ended after that point and you could have punished. In fact, your orders are entirely chance based this round, and sadly even the Dynamic Punch doesn't go your way, leaving you further behind on the health race. You go for Double Team again, but your foe easily counters. Try not to use defensive techniques with easy counters when going first or you'll frequently find yourself in this situation. Luckily your rather... odd orders do work out a bit and you at least get some damage off. You also manage to avoid confusion, which is at least an upside. You decide to blow your three to get into a better matchup, but by this point Combusken is in terrible shape and it's not looking good.

Unfortunately Elekid is an Electric type so Volt Switch is a thing. This puts you in yet another bad matchup to try to worm your way out of. You manage to shell out a fair bit of damage thanks to limited typespam, but Abra continues to outdamage you, and you soon blow your second threemover just to stay alive. You fall almost immediately afterwards.

For some reason you choose to go with Combusken and end up taking a good bit of punishment as a result, not even able to take down Abra before deciding to Baton Pass back out again. Luckily you do manage to take down Abra with Froakie, but Elekid comes back out. For some reason your foe decides to use Thunder of all things to break your Tomb, which does save you a bit by allowing you to put it down with Hydro Pump. Unfortunately Froakie is low so the Cubone that comes out afterwards puts it down immediately. Combusken then suffers a similar fate the moment you send him out and you lose the match.

Positive Points:
You seem to have a good grasp of when to go on the offensive and the defensive
You have a good flow for energy usage, keep up with that

Things to Review:
Get a bit better at counter-squadding, it can make or break a match, and it definitely broke this one
Learn specifically which moves are going to be best in a situation, try to think of how your opponent will respond in order to minimize damage taken while maximizing your damage output
Thanks for the tips Sneezey.
Back then, and to an extent now, I didn't really think much of counter squadding so that may have lead to the bad match ups quite easily.

As for why I made the critical mistake of using Bulldoze, I assumed that by default, Bulldoze is DC Earthquake with less power and interruption. I had hoped that I would be able to minimize the damage I took while using Tyrunt's weaknesses. When I sent in Froakie, I didn't want to use Blizzard going first, as that would be a large portion of Ice energy that may just wind up being Protected. Then the if orders were just poor thinking on my part, along with Double Team going first.

And then with Combusken, I played too cautiously and didn't apply enough pressure. Which then caused Froakie to take some hits from Abra before falling to Cubone, and that was pretty much it.

So I definitely learned a fair bit from my loss and learned a lot more from the review, thanks again.

Kuvario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:01 PM   #59
Sneaze
#SWAG

2 SP for me!

Quote:
Old 02-11-2015, 01:06 PM   #60
RealMrGame10
Team Instinct

Sneezy wanted some stuff, so here's the league's most exuberant person versus the TO villain before he was a GT

I thought it was an interesting match, so have fun!

RMG10 vs Zelphy

Me on SP

D- Ref on PASBL
(PASBL squad!)
Let's go WILD
I will battle for cheap
RealMrGame10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:42 PM   #61
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Zelphon vs Connor:
For starters (like I said before), your squad was pants for taking on waters. The most important thing for taking on a Water gym/GT is to only bring things that can move around the arena. Gastly is leagues more threatening to a Water gym than Pikachu, for example.

Spheal vs Lombre
So the first thing I have to say here is that whilst Spheal is something good to bring to a Water gym, this match-up is obviously awful for you. Because of the switching rules here you could've switched without Connor being able to counterswitch. Never settle for a crap match-up if you don't have to.

Second; you spent most of your time throwing out a couple of mid power moves a round. This is fine for neutral match-ups but this isn't a neutral match-up. Disadvantageous match-ups you want to play more cautiously. The guy with the advantage is going to be more aggressive they're going to swing hard and waste energy. It's a natural reaction. What you wanna do is sit back and avoid/block attacks as much as possible. You also want to give them other things to do than typespam you. So for example if you fire status moves or roar/rock tomb/smog/etc, they have to spend a move dealing with it because otherwise they can't attack - and that's a move they're not using to typespam you. Toxic is great in bad match-ups if you play them smart like this (but don't try it going first or they'll dodge it and you won't get a second use). Other than that, sit back and play defensive, taking your hits where you can get them (ie when they're either taking a break because they've tired themselves out or are spending a move getting out of a Rock Tomb or something so you don't need to spend a move dodging).

Grumpig vs Lombre
On paper this looks like a more neutral match-up. However a) arena and b) he's already a pokemon ahead. The latter means that he doesn't really care about how much damage he takes as long as he deals a good amount back because regardless of how much he takes he'll still be ahead. When you end up half a mon behind going aggressive will basically never claw you back. You can throw as much damage as you like at them, they'll just throw it back at you in kind and maintain their lead. You want to play it like I said above; prioritise not taking damage. Because they've already taken out one mon they'll a) be at a disadvantage energy/tiredness wise and b) just want to do as much damage to the fresh mon as possible before fainting. No-one ever really expects to take out a second mon with their first so people stop playing normally and just try to deal damage before they faint. You can avoid most of that damage relatively easily with agility/bounce, status moves, disruption (roar/snarl) etc. One of two things will happen. The first is that they'll realise how tired they're getting for no real gain and slow down, in which case when they take a break or use a weak move that's your chance to pile on the damage without any real repercussions. The other is that they might not slow down, in which case they'll run out of energy and faint that way quickly enough.

Porygon vs Qwilfish
You did this match-up fine, for the most part. Only two pieces of advice here - one, this arena neuters electric spam over distance tso you wasted some of your electric energy just by not making a point of sticking close. Two, Porygon may have a lot of electric energy but it's still limited. Don't use it going first or any opponent worth their salt won't let it translate into damage and you've wasted it. Connor didn't bother punishing you for it because of the first piece of advice (you were sitting far enough away that he knew the arena would nerf it), but it's still worth keeping in mine. You pretty much drew this match-up though. Porygon is exactly the sort of thing to bring to a water arena.

Joltik vs Remoraid
This one really just boiled down to poor squadding for the arena - once Connor got Joltik in the water there was almost nothing you or anyone else could've done about it. Magnet Rise was about your only chance as it would've at least allowed you to float above it. The fact fact that his arena neuters electric at distance would've still limited your damage, but Magnet Rise and using your typespam to maintain offensive pressure would've been your best bet.

Summary:
-Don't bring 'mon that are made useless by the arena. Vanilluxe's chance in hell of that ending well.
-Play more defensively in disadvantageous match-ups. If you just throw attacks at them, they'll throw them right back - and if theirs are SE and yours aren't there's only one way that's going to end. If you're already losing, just trading attacks is unlikely to pull you back.
-Unless it's STAB, don't typespam going first (similarly don't blow your one chance at Toxic going first). They'll never just sit there and take it and you'll have wasted type energy you could've used to do a lot more damage later - maybe even when going second the very next round. Patience is key; as long as you avoid falling (further) behind, you don't need to do take a risk and try to do all the damage right now. Wait for a genuinely good opportunity.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:13 PM   #62
Zelphon
Happy October

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
Zelphon vs Connor:
For starters (like I said before), your squad was pants for taking on waters. The most important thing for taking on a Water gym/GT is to only bring things that can move around the arena. Gastly is leagues more threatening to a Water gym than Pikachu, for example.

Spheal vs Lombre
So the first thing I have to say here is that whilst Spheal is something good to bring to a Water gym, this match-up is obviously awful for you. Because of the switching rules here you could've switched without Connor being able to counterswitch. Never settle for a crap match-up if you don't have to.

Second; you spent most of your time throwing out a couple of mid power moves a round. This is fine for neutral match-ups but this isn't a neutral match-up. Disadvantageous match-ups you want to play more cautiously. The guy with the advantage is going to be more aggressive they're going to swing hard and waste energy. It's a natural reaction. What you wanna do is sit back and avoid/block attacks as much as possible. You also want to give them other things to do than typespam you. So for example if you fire status moves or roar/rock tomb/smog/etc, they have to spend a move dealing with it because otherwise they can't attack - and that's a move they're not using to typespam you. Toxic is great in bad match-ups if you play them smart like this (but don't try it going first or they'll dodge it and you won't get a second use). Other than that, sit back and play defensive, taking your hits where you can get them (ie when they're either taking a break because they've tired themselves out or are spending a move getting out of a Rock Tomb or something so you don't need to spend a move dodging).

Grumpig vs Lombre
On paper this looks like a more neutral match-up. However a) arena and b) he's already a pokemon ahead. The latter means that he doesn't really care about how much damage he takes as long as he deals a good amount back because regardless of how much he takes he'll still be ahead. When you end up half a mon behind going aggressive will basically never claw you back. You can throw as much damage as you like at them, they'll just throw it back at you in kind and maintain their lead. You want to play it like I said above; prioritise not taking damage. Because they've already taken out one mon they'll a) be at a disadvantage energy/tiredness wise and b) just want to do as much damage to the fresh mon as possible before fainting. No-one ever really expects to take out a second mon with their first so people stop playing normally and just try to deal damage before they faint. You can avoid most of that damage relatively easily with agility/bounce, status moves, disruption (roar/snarl) etc. One of two things will happen. The first is that they'll realise how tired they're getting for no real gain and slow down, in which case when they take a break or use a weak move that's your chance to pile on the damage without any real repercussions. The other is that they might not slow down, in which case they'll run out of energy and faint that way quickly enough.

Porygon vs Qwilfish
You did this match-up fine, for the most part. Only two pieces of advice here - one, this arena neuters electric spam over distance tso you wasted some of your electric energy just by not making a point of sticking close. Two, Porygon may have a lot of electric energy but it's still limited. Don't use it going first or any opponent worth their salt won't let it translate into damage and you've wasted it. Connor didn't bother punishing you for it because of the first piece of advice (you were sitting far enough away that he knew the arena would nerf it), but it's still worth keeping in mine. You pretty much drew this match-up though. Porygon is exactly the sort of thing to bring to a water arena.

Joltik vs Remoraid
This one really just boiled down to poor squadding for the arena - once Connor got Joltik in the water there was almost nothing you or anyone else could've done about it. Magnet Rise was about your only chance as it would've at least allowed you to float above it. The fact fact that his arena neuters electric at distance would've still limited your damage, but Magnet Rise and using your typespam to maintain offensive pressure would've been your best bet.

Summary:
-Don't bring 'mon that are made useless by the arena. Vanilluxe's chance in hell of that ending well.
-Play more defensively in disadvantageous match-ups. If you just throw attacks at them, they'll throw them right back - and if theirs are SE and yours aren't there's only one way that's going to end. If you're already losing, just trading attacks is unlikely to pull you back.
-Unless it's STAB, don't typespam going first (similarly don't blow your one chance at Toxic going first). They'll never just sit there and take it and you'll have wasted type energy you could've used to do a lot more damage later - maybe even when going second the very next round. Patience is key; as long as you avoid falling (further) behind, you don't need to do take a risk and try to do all the damage right now. Wait for a genuinely good opportunity.
FOOL! (Pick up your SP)

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:43 AM   #63
Celebii151
ADCs in 2017 LUL

Send a message via Skype™ to Celebii151
Sneeze asked and so shall he receive! Celebii151 vs Apollo

PASBL Record
Trainer Level: 5
Referee Grade: B
Wins (DQ): 51 (5) Losses (DQ): 27 (6) Draws: 3
KOs: 135 TP: 294 SP (Earned): 0 (0)

Anime Style Battling | Fizzy Bubbles | Wild Future
Thanks to Pengyzu for the UserBar!
Celebii151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:49 AM   #64
KamenAeons
What are you looking at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamenAeons View Post
You know what? Let's have someone scold me on where I need to improve in my reffings.

Go go Connor vs. Mercutio!

I am very aware that there were multiple instances where I screwed up my reffings, so please don't mince me too heavily. DX
If anyone's looking for some hard-earned SP, you could take a look at the atrocity that is Cibbir threatening babies worldwide. *shot* And Gyarados losing.

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.

SAAVE ME

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Old 02-13-2015, 11:08 AM   #65
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Claiming 2 SP!
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:15 AM   #66
Zelphon
Happy October

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
Me vs Blaze

Kinda felt like although I won the first match up I got backed into a corner with my squad near the end, any tips on what I could have done better would be grand.

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:01 PM   #67
Emi
ACHILLESSSSS

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMrGame10 View Post
Sneezy wanted some stuff, so here's the league's most exuberant person versus the TO villain before he was a GT

I thought it was an interesting match, so have fun!

RMG10 vs Zelphy

Squad: Your squad was pretty balanced, my main issue is the lack of anything that counters Banette. Honedge and Gastly are both awful against other Ghosts, one for not having a Special movepool and the other being really slow, but otherwise things were ok. Not the best squad but definitely something you can win with.

Match-up 1: Rhyhorn vs Banette

Quite frankly, I'm not sure what you were thinking. You didn't use Foresight at all during the match, so why in the world did you use nothing but physical attacks? An Earth Power or an Ancientpower or any one of Rhyhorn's numerous off-type special moves would have given you a lot more mileage than continually spamming stuff like Earthquake and Stomp, because Banette can just phase-change and make those attacks pretty moot. Not to mention he managed to Curse you so you really needed to make sure you piled on the damage in order to even it out, and you just can't do that with physical moves. It was a good lead, but you just kinda lost it as the battle progressed. Pursuit was the best use of your Dark energy since it loses very little power if he goes Ethereal while Payback was just a bad idea period. Also, Swagger/Taunt going first is rarely a good thing and definitely was not in the position you were in.

Match-Up 2: Growlithe vs Banette

First of all, and I'm not sure why either of you didn't notice, HeroicRein gave Zelphon a 4 mover. In fact Zelphon's orders were illegal in the first place. So this really dicked you over and quite frankly shouldn't have been a thing. Otherwise you did fine although I'm probably going to sit here and wonder how Curse was reffed.

Match-Up 3: Growlithe vs Dunsparce

Not at easy match-up as Zelphon takes into the air although I think you ordered well. But this match-up is difficult to critique because somehow you were KOed in two rounds and I don't get that. This wasn't 4/6 (as far as I can tell, because it has to be stated) and the attacks he was using were weak. There just wasn't anything that can be shown for it because of that.

Summary:

Your play with Rhyhorn ultimately decided the match. Using nothing but physical moves against a Ghost is not a good plan at all and Rhyhorn is no slouch even when it comes to special attacks. You also played oddly defensive at times and that Swagger wasn't going to help your match-up at all. Having something to keep Banette away would have been good.

I think that if the match-up with Dunsparce was...done better I would have been impressed. But as it stands there was just nothing to show for that and the longest part of the match was also your worst. Hopefully you take my advice and put it to good use.
Emi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:55 PM   #68
Emi
ACHILLESSSSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilavaflare View Post
Wow, where has this thread been the last two and a half years of my life? Anyway, obvious is obvious. I need some divine intervention here, please.

My most recent match: SilentReaper vs. Quilavaflare

I just can't understand, it feels like even though I try to use decent tactics, I get slaughtered by someone (or at least it seems like it to me) spamming moves. No offense, it apparently works very well. And yes, I completely bombed after Zorua was KO'd. I pretty much know what I did wrong after that. If anyone could point out the areas I'm still lagging on, I would greatly appreciate it.
Since you seem to know what you did wrong after your Zorua was KOed, I'm going to focus on the other match-ups more, but I'll comment on that as well.

Squad: Looking at your opponent's squad, its pretty well balanced although I can see two weak links (Staravia, Frogadier, Honedge) so you should have made sure you had something for Vibrava (bulky Waters work) and Pikachu (something it can't typespam). Your squad is nice although Gulpin was a rather odd choice. My main issue with your squad is, unless I'm missing something, you only brought five Pokemon. Never do this, there is pretty much no benefit to it. The additional six Pokemon could have swayed your opponent to choose something else later in the match and potentially given you an edge that you don't have without it. Never, ever, bring less than six Pokemon (unless its like 2v2 doubles or summat, where you can't).

Round 1: Staravia versus Zorua

You do well here, making sure that your opponent cannot use the surrounding foliage as cover to keep away from you, although with this arena I'm not sure how effective that would have been. The switch puts you in a good position (its easily your best option for his choice) and now its Purbeautiful versus Staravia. Definitely a winnable match-up here. Keep in mind that whenever you switch you are telling your opponent what to prepare for with his later choices. I'm not going to fault you here for your switch, although Zorua's match-up against Staravia really isn't too bad.

Match-Up 1: Staravia versus Perbeautiful

I'm not entirely sure why you used Hone Claws twice in this match-up. The accuracy boost is one thing (although I personally wouldn't ref it really applying to special attacks too much) but physical moves shouldn't be what is deciding whether you win or lose, its special ones. If you wanted a boosting move, Work Up would have been a much better choice because it would have boosted your special output. You also should have taken advantage of his Agility going first. Roar would have stopped it right in its tracks and given you a good bit of leeway to exploit his conditional order. Something like "Roar into Body Slam to pin him" or "Roar into Hypnosis, put him to sleep", would have been a very strong order. Thunder wasn't a bad idea, since its not going to be terribly affected by Heat Wave regardless. The paralysis should have given you a significant edge, but Bulldoze wasn't a terribly smart idea. Given now that you have your opponent on the ground, the best thing to do would be to make sure he doesn't get back up into the air. Bulldoze as a pressure move isn't very effective unless its SE. See also: Every time I've talked about Swagger/Taunt going first.

After that, trying to Iron Tail it out of the air might have been smart had you done it as soon as possible, but Icy Wind's chilling effect plus the time you took to do it gave Staravia too much of an edge. Not sure why you weren't afforded a break, but Assist is a pretty poor move to use in a bad situation. It's luck based, and so it could either work (and it did here!) or fail pretty hard. It gave you an edge though. Next round you pull out pretty well and the Body Slam was a good call! The main issue was you want to stay on your opponent and you had moves like Slash and Cut to do that, Hyper Voice wasn't the strongest move. But you managed to take a match-up where you made a few mistakes go right down to the wire, I'm pretty impressed!

Match-Up 2: Zorua vs Vibrava

Not sure what I can say on this one, although I think for what its worth you played very well and likely shouldn't have been KOed at the end. This was obviously a pretty tricky match-up given the typespam on your opponent's side compared to Zorua's lack of anything really noticeable, although I do have a few suggestions for you. Stuff like Scary Face and Roar could have given you a brief advantage although they are tricky to use going first, and Extrasensory should have been your key offensive moves. It's one of the best Psychic moves in the game (probably only beat by Psywave) because it comes loaded with a ton of effects that can really mess up his day. At that point, your plan should have been to make sure that he couldn't spam moves carefree, but this was difficult.

Match-Up 3: Buizel vs Vibrava

I'm of the opinion that in this case, with your opponent not having any real way of countering your moves, you should have immediately hit the typespam button and hit it hard. You had a perfect advantage to even out and probably win the match-up with something like a double Blizzard since he wouldn't have had a real way to get out of it, especially given Blizzard's major chill factor. It's a missed opportunity here sadly and you end up coming out of the first round not terribly well.

For next round, I'm not going to argue the logistics of a Vibrava using Earthquake underground but I am going to point out one thing: you could have climbed a tree and made his entire order set moot. Your plan was risky and not guaranteed to work. Climbing up a tree helps to reduce the damage from Ground-based attacks, as you can see next round. I'm honestly not sure why you chose Soak of all things to do. Also at that point using Blizzard was a pretty big no-no since he could respond to it. Icy Wind would have been fine but a high-powered move like Blizzard is just open to be stopped.

Natural Gift shouldn't have worked. Sorry. But besides that, the next two rounds are pretty good, Surfing over Earthquake is a very good and common way to dick over the move so good call there. I think you did a lot better here than you realize and I'm coming out of it with good impressions.

Match Up 3: Pikachu vs Buizel

:V

Summary:
Your comment seemed to indicate to me that you weren't able to stop your opponent's spam. I don't think that's true. Your battling needs quite a bit of polishing up, but you definitely show some skill. There were some classic rookies mistakes and I think one thing you should work on is knowing what your win condition is. How are you going to make the match-up as good for you as possible? I think some thought about that would have made your first match-up a lot better (aside from maybe sticking it out a little bit with Zorua) and helped your game out overall. That round after the three-mover should have been when you swung the game into your court, but ultimately I don't think you did too bad. Keep up the good work!
Old 03-29-2015, 08:33 PM   #69
RealMrGame10
Team Instinct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post

Squad: Your squad was pretty balanced, my main issue is the lack of anything that counters Banette. Honedge and Gastly are both awful against other Ghosts, one for not having a Special movepool and the other being really slow, but otherwise things were ok. Not the best squad but definitely something you can win with.

Match-up 1: Rhyhorn vs Banette

Quite frankly, I'm not sure what you were thinking. You didn't use Foresight at all during the match, so why in the world did you use nothing but physical attacks? An Earth Power or an Ancientpower or any one of Rhyhorn's numerous off-type special moves would have given you a lot more mileage than continually spamming stuff like Earthquake and Stomp, because Banette can just phase-change and make those attacks pretty moot. Not to mention he managed to Curse you so you really needed to make sure you piled on the damage in order to even it out, and you just can't do that with physical moves. It was a good lead, but you just kinda lost it as the battle progressed. Pursuit was the best use of your Dark energy since it loses very little power if he goes Ethereal while Payback was just a bad idea period. Also, Swagger/Taunt going first is rarely a good thing and definitely was not in the position you were in.

Match-Up 2: Growlithe vs Banette

First of all, and I'm not sure why either of you didn't notice, HeroicRein gave Zelphon a 4 mover. In fact Zelphon's orders were illegal in the first place. So this really dicked you over and quite frankly shouldn't have been a thing. Otherwise you did fine although I'm probably going to sit here and wonder how Curse was reffed.

Match-Up 3: Growlithe vs Dunsparce

Not at easy match-up as Zelphon takes into the air although I think you ordered well. But this match-up is difficult to critique because somehow you were KOed in two rounds and I don't get that. This wasn't 4/6 (as far as I can tell, because it has to be stated) and the attacks he was using were weak. There just wasn't anything that can be shown for it because of that.

Summary:

Your play with Rhyhorn ultimately decided the match. Using nothing but physical moves against a Ghost is not a good plan at all and Rhyhorn is no slouch even when it comes to special attacks. You also played oddly defensive at times and that Swagger wasn't going to help your match-up at all. Having something to keep Banette away would have been good.

I think that if the match-up with Dunsparce was...done better I would have been impressed. But as it stands there was just nothing to show for that and the longest part of the match was also your worst. Hopefully you take my advice and put it to good use.
Wasn't this basically just "ghosts are evil, Zelphy was wrong, and his wrongness influenced the ref, tough"?

lol

Good job, go pick up your reward

Me on SP

D- Ref on PASBL
(PASBL squad!)
Let's go WILD
I will battle for cheap
RealMrGame10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:59 PM   #70
Emi
ACHILLESSSSS

Picking up 1 SP.

Quote:
Zelphon - Today at 5:29 AM
If the current political climate has taught me anything
It's that a purge via gay witches may very well be necessary
Old 04-01-2015, 11:12 PM   #71
KamenAeons
What are you looking at?

Let's [LEARN]!
vs. DaveTheFishGuy in the sea

So remember when I tried to fight Dave in his home environment? Teach me to Water!

Ignore the Metagross part because that was actually spammy and terrible of me.

SAAVE ME

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Old 04-02-2015, 10:42 AM   #72
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Criticisms on my latest match/mistake pls?
C grade ref.

WF quest log here.

FB stuff here.
Ironthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:23 PM   #73
Jerichi
本✚能

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamenAeons View Post
Let's [LEARN]!
vs. DaveTheFishGuy in the sea

So remember when I tried to fight Dave in his home environment? Teach me to Water!

Ignore the Metagross part because that was actually spammy and terrible of me.
Dave is a tough cookie, so I'm sure this will be an interesting battle.

Squadding
All things considered, this isn't an issue. You brought a nicely balanced squad that answers Dave's pretty solidly and all do fairly well in the water (except for maybe the Pumpkin). Really very little to comment on here.

Dragonite vs. Wailord
Obviously, Dragonite is a strong lead, able to cover bases and do well in most situations. Though, it's worth noting that Dragonite isn't the most comfortable in a watery situation, especially when Waters can pull out Ice attacks...
The biggest issue I see with this matchup is that you focused way too much on defense. You had some pretty prime opportunities to smoke him and you went for defense instead. It's not to say defense in ASB is bad but preventative defense is inferior to reactionary defense in most cases since in ASB you have a lot of ways to play around any defensive options you set up. When you're in a situation where there's a lot of potential offensive pressure, it's better to outpressure than trying to deflate it - this is especially true of x4 weak situations.

I'm gonna also echo Dave's comment about physical attacks. Dragonite does Special attacks really well and I think that's something lost on people when they get 'nite off of Dragonair, since they're used to minimal physical attacking and having this whole new slew of toys is really tempting.

Ludicolo vs. Wailord/Tentacruel
Mistake #1: bringing a Ludicolo to a battle vs. Dave (mostly kidding).

Seriously though, if you're facing an exploder, always assume the worst. This is one of the few times where protactive defense is a good idea, since you want to dissuade a particular move.

Also I think this was probably not a smart move as far as the switch in goes. In Switch = KO, it's never a good idea to come in off a loss looking to make a good match up with the 'mon currently out - you always want to plan for the next send out since that's when you can really make up ground. One of the few things Ludicolo really fears is Water/Poisons, and he has the quintessential one in the stables. Even with the potential Explosion damage, if you had chosen something that could stand up a bit better to any of Dave's selections (Metagross perhaps? Phantump even) then you might have stood a chance of gaining back ground.

Metagross vs. Tentacruel
This is the match up you should have played earlier. You manage to make up a great deal of ground and maintain a commanding lead through the entire match up, but it doesn't mean too much when he's got nearly a full Pokémon over you.

That said, I think this mixed offense style suits you - you seem to have a pretty good grasp over the ebb and flow when you don't worry so much about getting hit, and you put a good deal of pressure on him which forces him to play more defensively than normal.

And also just don't bother with resisted hits. They're very rarely worth it.

Metagross vs. Eelectross
I think this could have been an good opportunity at a comeback - you started off strong with the first round, but I think you got a little too defensive - if you had played a little more aggressively, you might have taken a bigger chunk out and even gotten your boom along with it. That said, it's not always easy to get a big comeback off a failing 'mon but I see a little bit of missed potential here.

Swampert vs. Eelektross
This is obviously a solid match-up for you but I honestly think you could have played even more aggressively than you did. What you did do was fairly solid and it gave you an early KO with a fairly healthy 'mon, but you spent a lot of time turretting a 'mon that excels at turretting when you could have easily shut down some of his options with hand-to-hand.
Of course, it was at least moderatly effective since you came out with half health, but I feel you could have done a bit better perhaps.

Swampert vs. Ditto
Ditto matches are always really peculiar since they're often properly neutral - this definitely being one of them. But in this case I think you were probably too far behind to front a proper comeback, especially since Dave could easily nuke. That said, you could have definitely played a bit more offensively here - the kind of pressure you put on him was not quite enough to prevent or at least delay the nuke.

Jeri's Positivity Corner
  • Metagross vs. Tentacruel - A pretty solid match-up overall and one you commanded throughout!
  • Swampert vs. Eelektross - As stated before, you did solidly with Swampy.
  • Solid pressure - Most of your first moves are pretty good at pressuring when you go on the offensive - keep working on improving that.

Overall
I think there are two key mistakes you made in this battle: one, reliance on primarily preventative defensive play and two, not considering match-up chains. Most of why you got behind in the beginning had to do with you giving him too much opportunity to attack you and not putting on enough pressure to offset the threat of the Ice moves. That plus the switch into the far-too-vulnerable Ludicolo put you too far behind to safely make up. The loss you suffered at the hands of Wailord was not insurmountable and I think if you had made a different choice, things may have gone very differently.

That said, I initially expected the match to be basically over when Ludicolo fell, but I was impressed to see you manage the other match ups well and make a pretty solid showing in spite of the disadvantage. When things are good, you play pretty well, but you also need to learn how to get yourself in those good positions earlier so you can show off your skills.
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:00 AM   #74
KamenAeons
What are you looking at?

Quote:
Dave is a tough cookie, so I'm sure this will be an interesting battle.

Squadding
All things considered, this isn't an issue. You brought a nicely balanced squad that answers Dave's pretty solidly and all do fairly well in the water (except for maybe the Pumpkin). Really very little to comment on here.

Dragonite vs. Wailord
Obviously, Dragonite is a strong lead, able to cover bases and do well in most situations. Though, it's worth noting that Dragonite isn't the most comfortable in a watery situation, especially when Waters can pull out Ice attacks...
The biggest issue I see with this matchup is that you focused way too much on defense. You had some pretty prime opportunities to smoke him and you went for defense instead. It's not to say defense in ASB is bad but preventative defense is inferior to reactionary defense in most cases since in ASB you have a lot of ways to play around any defensive options you set up. When you're in a situation where there's a lot of potential offensive pressure, it's better to outpressure than trying to deflate it - this is especially true of x4 weak situations.

I'm gonna also echo Dave's comment about physical attacks. Dragonite does Special attacks really well and I think that's something lost on people when they get 'nite off of Dragonair, since they're used to minimal physical attacking and having this whole new slew of toys is really tempting.

Ludicolo vs. Wailord/Tentacruel
Mistake #1: bringing a Ludicolo to a battle vs. Dave (mostly kidding).

Seriously though, if you're facing an exploder, always assume the worst. This is one of the few times where protactive defense is a good idea, since you want to dissuade a particular move.

Also I think this was probably not a smart move as far as the switch in goes. In Switch = KO, it's never a good idea to come in off a loss looking to make a good match up with the 'mon currently out - you always want to plan for the next send out since that's when you can really make up ground. One of the few things Ludicolo really fears is Water/Poisons, and he has the quintessential one in the stables. Even with the potential Explosion damage, if you had chosen something that could stand up a bit better to any of Dave's selections (Metagross perhaps? Phantump even) then you might have stood a chance of gaining back ground.

Metagross vs. Tentacruel
This is the match up you should have played earlier. You manage to make up a great deal of ground and maintain a commanding lead through the entire match up, but it doesn't mean too much when he's got nearly a full Pokémon over you.

That said, I think this mixed offense style suits you - you seem to have a pretty good grasp over the ebb and flow when you don't worry so much about getting hit, and you put a good deal of pressure on him which forces him to play more defensively than normal.

And also just don't bother with resisted hits. They're very rarely worth it.

Metagross vs. Eelectross
I think this could have been an good opportunity at a comeback - you started off strong with the first round, but I think you got a little too defensive - if you had played a little more aggressively, you might have taken a bigger chunk out and even gotten your boom along with it. That said, it's not always easy to get a big comeback off a failing 'mon but I see a little bit of missed potential here.

Swampert vs. Eelektross
This is obviously a solid match-up for you but I honestly think you could have played even more aggressively than you did. What you did do was fairly solid and it gave you an early KO with a fairly healthy 'mon, but you spent a lot of time turretting a 'mon that excels at turretting when you could have easily shut down some of his options with hand-to-hand.
Of course, it was at least moderatly effective since you came out with half health, but I feel you could have done a bit better perhaps.

Swampert vs. Ditto
Ditto matches are always really peculiar since they're often properly neutral - this definitely being one of them. But in this case I think you were probably too far behind to front a proper comeback, especially since Dave could easily nuke. That said, you could have definitely played a bit more offensively here - the kind of pressure you put on him was not quite enough to prevent or at least delay the nuke.

Jeri's Positivity Corner
  • Metagross vs. Tentacruel - A pretty solid match-up overall and one you commanded throughout!
  • Swampert vs. Eelektross - As stated before, you did solidly with Swampy.
  • Solid pressure - Most of your first moves are pretty good at pressuring when you go on the offensive - keep working on improving that.

Overall
I think there are two key mistakes you made in this battle: one, reliance on primarily preventative defensive play and two, not considering match-up chains. Most of why you got behind in the beginning had to do with you giving him too much opportunity to attack you and not putting on enough pressure to offset the threat of the Ice moves. That plus the switch into the far-too-vulnerable Ludicolo put you too far behind to safely make up. The loss you suffered at the hands of Wailord was not insurmountable and I think if you had made a different choice, things may have gone very differently.

That said, I initially expected the match to be basically over when Ludicolo fell, but I was impressed to see you manage the other match ups well and make a pretty solid showing in spite of the disadvantage. When things are good, you play pretty well, but you also need to learn how to get yourself in those good positions earlier so you can show off your skills.
Thanks Jeri! It was a very helpful review.

SAAVE ME

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Old 04-05-2015, 12:31 AM   #75
Jerichi
本✚能

Claiming my 2 SP! (y)

気紛れを 許して 今更なんて思わずに急かしてよ
もっと中迄入って あたしの衝動を 突き動かしてよ

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Referees Forum