Tommy used to work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkac View Post
http://forums.upnetwork.net/showthread.php?t=7872
Gt def me v chiko

How do you not suck guys pls help
Spoiler: show

Squadding:
Overall you squadded decently, Walrein, Minior, Araquanid and Roserade all have a super effective stab against grass, while 1 of those is helped greatly by the arena. Chiko's squad doesnt really have too many dual types so this helps reduce the need for differing mon. Only one i question on your squad is breloom, solely because of the easily spammable ice weakness from Abomasnow and it only really helps against him and Cradily

Minior V Abomasnow:
Round 1 orders were good but it is clear that Chiko has the advantage in terms of his pokemon being enthusiastic in the arena which will really help him out in the long run. Spamming stab moves helped dish out a nice chunk of damage but Chiko early on put the pressure on with his 3 mover. Sub play was an ok option since you stayed alive but remember sub costs you health maybe switch in a protect here and there, since protecting the frost breath could have allowed you to live and then deal damage, plus they were tiring which would have given you an advantage the next round!

Araquanid V Cradily:
This is not a favouable match up for you, rock spam isnt healthy for Araquanid and cradily's SC gives it health each turn in the rain which means youd have to deal damage at a much higher rate, in the future maybe apply some status to cradily since it isnt very mobile which would help you by reducing its health while keeping it away from the pond to heal itself. Infetation would have been great had Barrier not outright blocked it. Chiko used positioning to guide you to a place where he could have the advantage over you in terms of the pond while hitting you with super effective hits. You allowed him to set up a rock tomb upon you, maybe use agility to escape it, ordering 2nd is you chance to exploit your foes orders. Stockpiling twice was incredibly risky going first and allowed Chiko to deal some brutal damage, Maybe use a 3 mover at some point to even the odds, especially since leech life healed a fair bit of health.

Walrein V Cradily:
Good attempt at putting on the pressure, i personally would have saved blizzard for only going 2nd as it is protect bait but at the same time it did force the protect so good job. As said Blizzard when going 2nd, sheer cold could have been good, and icy wind would have helped out a lot aswell especially going first. Also remember offtype Iron tail could have helped with the energy ball spam.

Walrein V Lombre:
If Walrein had Freeze dry this match up would have been 100% yours, maybe add that in a sig? WALREIN LEARNS SIGNAL BEAM. Use your offtype to your advantage it would have used less energy than blizzard and dealt more damage. Stab spam is fine, but be sure to use the offtype that will help you out more effectively, Blizzards going first when tired will rarely work.

Roserade V Lombre:
When your last mon is being sent out dont use it to counter whats out, use it to be able to do well against the rest of their mons. Roserade cant do too much against Trevenant since it resists both stabs. That being said Sludge bomb spam was the way to go with this.

Roserade V Trevenant:
You couldnt do much here, shadow balls were used, and the 3 mover was ok if it had worked out properly, however you were already trailing so badly.

Overview:
1) Use your SE offtype
2) Dont use nukes going 1st
3) 3 Movers exist.

Those are the 3 biggest issues i found with your preformance, and Chiko used them to his advantage.

PASBL Squad l C+ Grade Ref l Grass Gym Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Well I don't know I wanted to deal damage and Starmie is inorganic :X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Starmie is a starfish, it is not inorganic :p
Quote:
Kush I'm TL1. How am I supposed to know things if you don't tell me them?
Quote:
It's a starfish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
I have 1 SP. Retroactively claiming the SP tax on all the things I did whilst LO.

I now have 1 SP.
Eliteknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:58 AM   #303
dirkac
Did I f-f-fucking stutter

Yeah, tbf I'm generally too scared to use 3 Movers in case I want to use them later but

As for the last matchup, nothing I had could really do much, and Poison is neutral to Trev so I figured it was the best choice; Breloom couldn't do much anymore and Trev would more likely end up being a liability because Chiko could SE STAB spam me while also being fresher than mine

Thanks EK, take your sp
Old 04-19-2017, 07:15 AM   #304
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Gt def me v chiko

Another area that I am quite familiar with, the Grass GT (Rain) battle! While Chikoís squad doesnít really strike the fear of some of the previous Grass GTís, it is fairly well balanced and hard to deal with if you arenít prepared, made harder if you canít handle the arena.

Squadding
Squadding was decent on your behalf, made better by bringing mons that could exploit the arena for themselves (Araquanid, Trerev, Breloom). Walrein is an iffy choice for me, you often donít want to get into a STAB war in a GT arena, especially when your opponentís super effective STAB is more suited to the arena. Although there is rain and water, I wouldnít immediately discount fire types or fire type moves as youíre really only getting a 10% drop in effectiveness and maybe a bit of comfortability. I would have liked another flying pokemon or two, or just something which can switch due to Switch=KO

Minior
Avoid getting into a STAB war, you canít beat a GT/GL trying to match them in power when they are backed by their arena. On top of that, Abomasnow has much stronger STAB options than Minior. You could have U-turned out in the first round despite Chikoís conditional, a Rock Tomb then a U-turn or even ordering the u-turn after the second ice beam would have worked fine, with the first providing you with some free setup time. As predicted, Chiko then nuked the hell out of you, although to your credit you managed to get him just outside of critical, down to 1 three mover and incredibly tired.

Araquanid
You did what you had to and didnít beat around the bush, taking down Abomasnow quickly. Once again you ended up in a STAB war, against a Pokemon that was much better than your own. Iím not sure if Araquanid was the best option to send out. Abomasnow was nearly dead, you could have sent out Roserade or Trev and tried for a neutral match up (as long as Chiko didnít go with his Trev against yours). Obviously you stuffed up with the Barrier, there wasnít much you could do to stop it, although a swagger or confide might have got through in time. Poor option to avoid the Rock Tomb, it was always going to get you quicker, would have been better off using a surf or waterfall to get yourself out. I have no idea why you would Stockpile, yeah you were trapped but the Rock Slide using the tomb is a common play and should have been expected. I donít think we buffed Leech Life prior to this match starting (did we eventually buff it?) so spamming it wasnít a great option either.

Walrein
Again youíre asking for a STAB war you arenít going to win. Even worse, Chiko brought in a Pokemon that you had nothing on outside of some Bug offtype and a weight advantage. That said, you didnít utilize any of these and you pretty much just gave up on the match from the looks of it. You could have Body Slammed the Lombre and tried at least to sink your bug offtype into it, instead of spamming something super exhausting like Blizzard.

Roserade
Would have been much better if used earlier, but with Chiko having the lead and choice of final mon, there was no way you could really win it from here. In the end you ended up losing by about half a Pokemon which isnít the worst result I have ever seen and could have been worse.

Overall
You should have squadded some more switching moves, you couldnít grab the upper hand because you kept getting stuck in unfavourable match ups. The one Pokemon you had with a switch move you wasted first. Alternatively, you have to grab the first KO, especially in Switch=KO and against lower TL people. Most canít handle being on the back foot and Chikoís squad also lacked switch moves, meaning he would have ended up having to play like you were forced to. So in the future, try to line up neutral match ups where you have better super effective offtype instead of starting a STAB war and donít just resort to spamming when you are on the back foot.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:05 PM   #305
dirkac

Tahsnk for the feedbank man, take the sp
Old 04-19-2017, 06:38 PM   #306
Eliteknight
Tommy used to work...

collecting my 4 SP

PASBL Squad l C+ Grade Ref l Grass Gym Trainer

Quote:
Well I don't know I wanted to deal damage and Starmie is inorganic :X
Quote:
Starmie is a starfish, it is not inorganic :p
Quote:
Kush I'm TL1. How am I supposed to know things if you don't tell me them?
Quote:
It's a starfish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
I have 1 SP. Retroactively claiming the SP tax on all the things I did whilst LO.

I now have 1 SP.
Eliteknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:51 PM   #307
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Also collecting my 4SP
Old 04-23-2017, 07:39 PM   #308
Altocharizard55
The Scientist

Quote:
Gt def me v chiko

Squad

I think you squadded kind of poorly here, while your 'mon could handle the arena relatively well, you lacked things that could handle a few of Chiko's 'mon. For example, your squad didn't have much at all that could handle Abomasnow. Walrein stands out as being particularly bad, as while it is helped by the rain, it still takes SE-STAB from all of Chiko's 'mon. I think it's been said before, but it's an uphill battle to try to out-STAB a GT/GL in their own arena in most situations. The real problem with your squad is that you didn't really bring a safe first mon; one that isn't necessarily ideal against everything the opponent has, but doesn't get dicked over either. In Switch=OK matches, this isn't a big deal, however this was in Switch=KO. In this case, such is essential. An alternative would have been to start something with a switching move that would absolutely be useful later in the match.

Minior

To me, this came down more or less to a bad matchup. Your best option would have been to U-turn into something else, not that you had many options given your squad. Now, despite this, you actually could have turned the tables on Chiko had you used Light Screen to block out his attacks rather than sub. You would have easily blocked both Frost breaths at no cost to health. You could have followed with Stone Edge, and Chiko would still be exhausted from the energy hemorrhaging. Or you could have blown a three yourself if you felt necessary.

Araquanid

Pre-emptive defensive moves are bad, and you could have punished Chiko for blowing Barr in the way he did. Swagger was the best you could have done here. Having said that, Araqunid was probably a very bad decision here, as you left yourself open for a very not neutral matchup. The best you could have done here was to slap a Toxic on her and either try to stall her out through a lot of evasive and defensive moves or simply put as much damage on her as possible for your next 'mon. This was a really poor matchup for you.

Walrein

Walrein is freaking huge. Don't be afraid to use a size advantage if you can; you probably could have tried to crush Lombre a bit, among other things. This is another example of how badly a Switch=KO match can spiral if you aren't packing things that are either relatively neutral or have switching moves. Also, you forgot about Signal Beam; spamming Blizzards will kill your energy.

Roserade

At this point, things are pretty much wrapped up; TKF nailed it on the head when he said you should have used Rose sooner. Once Abomasnow was out of the way, Rose had mostly good matchups, and nothing really bad.

Overall

Momentum was not in your favor this match. Largely, after the first matchup, you sent in things that could be relatively hard countered with no way of escaping. Switch=KO is a lot less malleable to potential comebacks because of this; a single bad matchup can cost you the entire battle. The two options are to pack a lot of things that can pivot in and out of combat via switching moves, or to get the first KO and roll from there. The biggest opportunity you had in this match was to gain momentum using Minior, where you actually could have scored the first KO with a clever screen.

PASBL Stats

TL 4 (35-21-6)
Current owner of the Onslaught Badge and the Monolith Badge
Previous owner of the Indurate Badge and the Dual Wing Badge (Pre-scrap)
216 TP - 84 KOs - 20 SP (11 SP Debt to Machamp-X)
(W/L/D and stats recompiled as of 4/25/17)
Observe. Adapt. Evolve.
Altocharizard55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:16 AM   #309
dirkac

Thanks for the thing, Alt
Old 04-25-2017, 11:35 AM   #310
Altocharizard55
The Scientist

Collecting 4 SP

PASBL Stats

TL 4 (35-21-6)
Current owner of the Onslaught Badge and the Monolith Badge
Previous owner of the Indurate Badge and the Dual Wing Badge (Pre-scrap)
216 TP - 84 KOs - 20 SP (11 SP Debt to Machamp-X)
(W/L/D and stats recompiled as of 4/25/17)
Observe. Adapt. Evolve.
Altocharizard55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Referees Forum