And one skype conversation late:
Zelphon (C) vs Bleu (A)
4v4
Singles
Slapstick
Equilevel 1
72hr DQ
Arena: Mall

Looking for an experienced ref not named Connor ;)

We're now watching a match between two Trainers who are eager to prove themselves in the heat of battle. In the Challenger box, we have Zelphon, who hopes to cinch a victory on his record. On the other hand, we have a potential lieutenant, Bleu. Both wish to advance, but only one shall! Battle stations, allons-y!

So we're all clear on the rules:
- This match is a Singles match. Both trainers may only use one Pokemon at a time.
- Both trainers submit a squad of 6 Pokemon and only 4 will be used in this match. A trainer loses when 4 of their Pokemon are KO'd.
- For the purposes of this match, all Pokemon will be considered to be Level 1, with the exception of Uplevels.
- Switching out is considered a KO unless the Pokemon is recalled by a switching move such as U-Turn or Baton Pass.

The match will progress as follows:
- Zelphon posts his squad.
- Bleu posts his squad and send out his first Pokemon.
- Zelphon sends out his first Pokemon and orders an attack.
- Bleu orders an attack
- Schadenfreude refs the battle, and then the battle order reverses.
- Bleu orders an attack.
- Zelphon orders an attack.
And so on...

The arena chosen for this match is the Mall:

Quote:
Shopping Mall: The battle takes place in, around, or on top of a large indoor shopping mall (Californians, think the Galleria in Roseville). Amongst the various A/C and filtration systems on the rooftop, there are also some glass skylights (including a Hugh Jass one in the middle of the roof), which, if broken, open up a way into the mall, which is like a standard concrete indoor arena with 2 levels (with the second level being walkways along the wall: thus, a Pokemon can see the second level from the first level, and vice versa), a bunch of onlookers, and lots of property to destroy. There's also some parking lots and the occasional outdoor promenade on the outside of the mall. Finally, since there are some larger retailers here (Sears, JC Penny, The Blonde Mecca (C)) parts of the rooftop are about a couple stories higher than the others. Battles can start anywhere in the arena, be it on the roof, or around or inside the mall itself.
Special Rules: Artificial Lighting (inside mall and parking lot), Building Edge (inside mall/mall roof), Terrain Edge (parking lot), Onlookers, Easily Destroyed, Fire Sprinklers (inside mall only), Roof Level (mall roof only)

With your permissions, I will be reffing 80/120 to try something new and x2/x3 for SE. I will also be using New Standard for Type Energy. Here we go!
Schadenfreude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #2
Zelphon
Happy October

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
80/120 is just the easier version of 6/9 right?

Items: Banettite - Attached to Pain Gain.

Squad:
Pain Gain: Banette - 3 Male
Biography: Most Banette are fueled by an angry spirit, Pain Gain however was possesed by a spirit that was an entirely different kind of mad. This spirit feeds off the fear and insanity of others. The powers gained through the consumption of these things has corrupted the appearance of Pain Gain causing a 3rd Eye to appear on it's forehead as well as making him generally terrifying.
Special Technique - Avatar of Fear
While Pain Gain gain is out he passively sacrifices Mild health & energy every round to mentally induce the amount of fear more pokemon would feel when facing a Gyaradose, the fear caused by this technique also prevents switching much like how Mean Look functions.
HP: Poison

Spunk: Grumpig - 3 Female
Biography: having had gotten her name for her attitude Spunk is almost as full of...well spunk. Having had learned the importance of her pearl/s as a Spoink she has always taken good care of them & has learned to master the powers they grant.
Special Training - Pearl Mastery
Spunk now has twice as much Rock type energy and has learned Dazzling Gleam with the energy to use it twice per battle.
Spunk can not have Hidden Power: Rock and has forgotten Frustration & Calm Mind.
HP: Fighting

Bruce: Hitmonlee - 3 Male
Biography: Like all Hitmonlee Bruce is endowed with great kicking prowess, however his desire to master the art of his kind has brought him into unusual territory. On one occasion Bruce decided that he would study how his species's counterpart Hitmonchan fought & in the process learned some new tricks which he then worked into his kicking technique.
Special Training: Enter the Movie Pun
Bruce has learned Thunder Punch & Ice Punch with the off type energy to use both twice per battle and may in addition to Mach Punch performs these attacks as kicks rather then punches.
Bruce has forgotten Focus Punch & High Jump Kick.
HP: Dark

Icarus: Dunsparce - 3 Male
Biography: Having been ressurected by a Togekiss & promptly blessed with an enlarged wing span (about the size of a swablu's) Icarus has dedicated his life to justice and the mastery of flight.
Special Training - Blessed Flight
Icarus can now fly as high & as well as most flying types.
Due to his desire for justice & increased wing span he is unable to use: Defense Curl, Dig, Rollout, Spite, Thief, Bite, Astonish, Mud Slap, Nightmare, Dream Eater, Hex, Swagger & Frustration.
HP: Flying

Gale: Venomoth - 3 Male
HP: Flying

Lukna: Zoroark - 3 Female
HP: Bug

Last edited by Zelphon; 09-28-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:00 PM   #3
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Schadenfreude
It's quicker than 6/9 but not as ungainly as 4/6. Ultimately, it's your choice. Without your permissions to use 80/120, I'll be reverting to the standard 6/9.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:20 PM   #4
Zelphon
Happy October

I want a full length so I'm gonna deny my permission, sorry.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:37 AM   #5
BLEU
Cascade Badge

I'm fine with either but since this is 4v4 6/9 shouldn't be too long either.

Jarvis - Hariyama Level 3 (Male)

Stanley - Infernape Level 4 (Male)

Charlie - Noctowl Level 3 (male) - Hidden Power Ground

Liz - level 3 crawdaunt(F)

Amanda - Level masquerain(F)

John - Level 3 Areodactyl(M)
BIrd Keeper's token to charlie!

Start out on the roof top John!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuno
You have to look within yourself and nuke the sun in your heart.

R.I.P - THE ONES WHO LOST THEIR LIVES 9/11 - Humanity Finally Dies.
BLEU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:44 AM   #6
Zelphon
Happy October

Pain Gain let's wreak havoc!

Mega Evolve evolve from under the roof, then give it a little surprise as you go Ethereal to pop through the roof and deliver a Confuse Ray.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:06 AM   #7
BLEU
Cascade Badge

Playing games eh Zelphy? John, Foresight. Follow with a crunch!

Quote:

Old 10-01-2014, 01:55 AM   #8
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

I should clarify that this battle will start inside the mall itself, on the first floor. The building consists of two floors, and a roofted area above. Escalators go up and down.

Feel free to reorder if this changes anything.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #9
Zelphon
Happy October

Yeah, I'm gonna need to re-order since half my order involved going through the roof, bleu should also probably specify where his pokemon is being released now.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:36 AM   #10
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

You're both starting off on the first place. Reorder as you may.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:06 AM   #11
BLEU
Cascade Badge

Inside? Oh lord, can I change the Pokemon? I never knew this..

I would like to start with Charlie.

Quote:

Old 10-02-2014, 09:26 AM   #12
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLEU View Post
Inside? Oh lord, can I change the Pokemon? I never knew this..

I would like to start with Charlie.
That's fine. We'll take it from there. I noticed the discrepancy when both of you ordered moves which would be incompatible unless you're located in different parts of the mall. That's why I'm specifying this time. >___>

Zelphon to order, then followed by Bleu's orders.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:50 AM   #13
Zelphon
Happy October

Pain Gain...er let's try this again.

Mega evolve from inside a store, then Phantom Force your opponent and give um a point blank Confuse Ray

Old 10-04-2014, 03:15 AM   #14
BLEU
Cascade Badge

Mirror move. Follow up with Zen headbutt!

Quote:

Old 10-11-2014, 11:24 PM   #15
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

I wish you guys gave me a VM bump when you guys had ordered. >___>

Anyway, do you mind if we restart this match? I have the reffing written up, but I don't want to lose the bonus before Round 1 even begins.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:18 AM   #16
Zelphon
Happy October

I'm cool with what ever gets this match done in a timely fashion.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:13 PM   #17
BLEU
Cascade Badge

Restart as in a new thread and everything? While I do not mind that or anything at all. Someone will have to bump me becuase I do not frequant this place all that much.

Quote:

Old 10-14-2014, 10:29 PM   #18
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLEU View Post
Restart as in a new thread and everything? While I do not mind that or anything at all. Someone will have to bump me becuase I do not frequant this place all that much.
No need for a new thread. We'll just use this one. I'll bump you. Also, Bleu, check SPPF.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:57 AM   #19
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

ROUND 1: Thrift Shop

ROUND 1: Thrift Shop
MegaBanette vs Noctowl

Welcome to the Shopping Mall. A great beacon of cosmopolitan capitalism, the mall epitomises consumerism and suburban lifestyles. While a large escalator links the first and second floors together, shopfronts for major clothing brands line the insides of the first floor, offering designer jeans, French berets, and other fashion accessories. The second floor presents an open food court completed with a capillary of tables and chairs, with its cuisines ranging from the exotic Indian with its 'Rangeet' Naans to the piquant Thai and its aromatic spices. Shoppers of every walk of life stroll across both levels, as they carry their bags and flit in and out of the stores. Within this hubbub emerge two Trainers. Each of them wear flinty expressions, when they arrive on the first floor and reach for their Pokéballs.

The Referee, a young man carrying a Sears catalogue, speaks aloud:

"We now begin a Pokémon match between Zelphon and BLEU," he says, tapping numbers into his Pokédex. "Here is the data on their chosen Pokémon."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokédex
Banette (Ghost): Banette are nearly always solid, but can become ethereal or invisible for short periods of time. They levitate by default. Their Curse attack only cuts a quarter of their health as opposed to half, but the target will take the damage it would have taken if Banette had sacrificed half of their health. Banette's Curse does not fade away at all if Banette is KOed or far from its target. They resist moves which induce sleep and will wake up faster than usual when put to sleep against their will. If another Pokémon makes contact with them using a move, there is a 20% chance that that move will be disabled for a period of three rounds. In its Mega Form, Banette transforms into a spiteful trickster spirit, capable of manipulating its foe without them even noticing. Any non-offensive move executed by Banette will appear to happen instantaneously, leaving little time for the foe to react or counter.
[Ghost]: Ghost-type Pokémon fight more enthusiastically at night, though are not put off by fighting in the day, and can see in the dark. They are resistant to attacks which induce confusion or other mental effects, impossible to poison and immune to telekinetic-based Psychic moves if not in the solid state (though will still take damage from Psychic moves regardless of state). Their fear inducing attacks are more effective than those used by other Pokémon. Ghost-types are not fully immune to Normal, Fighting or typeless attacks as in the games, taking neutral damage, but some may change their state in order to evade physical moves (see Ghost Pokémon information for details).

Noctowl (Normal/Flying): As owls, Hoothoot and Noctowl are the quietest fliers amongst Pokémon, and are almost inaudible as they fly. Noctowl can see in the dark and fight more entusiastically at night. Their Hypnosis and Foresight attacks are more effective than normal and take less energy to perform. They are resistant to sleep inducing moves. Noctowl are familiar with the Psychic type.
[Normal]: Normal-type Pokémon generally have a bit less off-type energy than other Pokémon. Normal-types which usually have a secondary type do not suffer from this drawback unless specified. In the ASB, Normal-types take neutral damage from the damaging effects of Ghost-type energy.
[Flying]: Flying-type Pokémon are faster and more agile in their chosen mode of transportation than other Pokémon. Because of their skill in controlling their movement, they are more difficult to evade when using physical moves and more likely to succeed in dodging attacks. Flying type Pokémon are affected normally by the damaging effects of Ground-typed energy and take neutral damage from Ground type moves in the ASB. They fight more enthusiastically in spacious arenas but are not put off by cramped conditions.
The Referee says loudly, "And let's begin in three... two... one. Release!"

From the red lights of PokéBalls converge a mysterious marionette called Pain Gain from the supernatural Banette line and a streamlined, graceful Noctowl called Charlie, who emanates grace and wisdom. While Charlie rises upwards and towards the second floor, Pain Gain starts himself off at the entrance of a Forever 21 retailer, as he glances at Zelphon. The Trainer and Pokémon lock eyes, as the MegaStone on Zelphon's wrist radiates. When Pain Gain erupts in harsh luminescence, Charlie watches with bated breath, before a MegaEvolved Banette emerges. Swishing his magentaed limbs, Pain Gain cackles as he segues into action. Disappearing like a Phantom, the MegaBanette twirls on the spot and vanishes. Startled, Charlie looks around but has little success. A second passes, and Pain Gain reappears above Charlie, smirking as he clouts the owl with a tremendous Force.

Charlie grimaces, wincing under this surprising attack. However, he does not have much time to react and decides to Mirror the MegaBanette's Move. Vanishing in thin air, Charlie swerves around and smashes Pain Gain from above. Ghostly energies shimmer like a mirage, as Pain Gain shrieks under this super-effective assault, unable to shift into ethereal in time due to the surprising nature of this attack. He pulls back, twitching. Indeed, he struggles to hide his pain, which twists his expression. Pain Gain is not down for long, though. Almost instantaneously, the MegaBanette releases a Ray of blinding light. The grey radiation overwhelms Noctowl's keen eyesight, Confusing Charlie with nonsensical images of dancing clowns and laughing jesters. Sputtering, Charlie gapes on the spot. His thoughts remain as occluded as a cloudy day.

But BLEU has plans. Indeed, the Trainer's orders resonate in Charlie's mind, somehow penetrating the fog that permeates the Noctowl's cognisance. As Charlie closes his eyes and assumes a Zen mindset, psionic energy chimes like a bell. The soft sound dispels the murkiness, when Charlie opens his eyes, determined and aware. No longer confused, Charlie swoops down and Headbutts the MegaBanette. Pain Gain manages to shift into ethereal this time due to the sufficient warning, although he does grimace at the Psychic energies pulsing from Noctowl's crown. However diminished, damage is still damage after all.

Although both battlers have spent some noticeable energy, they are reasonably fresh and fine for now. Noctowl spent more overall energy and has expended more than half his Ghost reserves.

Pain Gain has taken slightly more damage than Charlie in this round, although both are still within the first third of health.

-BLEU to order.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:57 AM   #20
BLEU
Cascade Badge

Foresight. Follow up with an Air Slash.

Quote:

Old 10-21-2014, 10:15 AM   #21
Zelphon
Happy October

Taunt followed by Curse, perform these actions as you ascend to the 2nd floor.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:32 AM   #22
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

ROUND 2: Accursed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude View Post
I was unable to get online yesterday to post this, but due to more paperwork that needs to be filed due to the Ebola Crisis, my internet access has been curbed for Thursday 30 October, Friday 31 October, Saturday 1 November, and Sunday 2 November. Please be patient: this is an urgent matter, and once we synethesise a vaccine sample that passes double-blinding and placebo trials, we'll be able to send it off to the WHO and resume our lives a.k.a. ASB for me.

Urgh, trying to save the world should be more like something from an episode of Heroes, rather than boring and extending days in the lab. Please cross-post on SPPF for me, thanks.

No DQs or ref replacing: I'll be done soon.
I'm back now, after conducting important research on Ebola. Thank you for your patience so far! Glad to be back. I'm here to be your consistent and reliable ref again.

ROUND 2: Accursed
MegaBanette vs Noctowl

Deciding that facing a ghostly foe could pose unique challenges, Charlie closes his eyes and garners a supernatural power to tether Pain Gain to a physical form. Pain Gain has no plans to become an easy target, however. Indeed, he cackles and reacts instantaneously, weaving an ominous spell across the arena. Dark words intertwine over Noctowl's mind before Charlie could even complete his Foresight, as the pernicious chants seep into Charlie's thoughts like poison. Instantly, wretched whispers about Charlie's parentage whistles, tormenting and Taunting Charlie. An eerie anger sets over the Noctowl, locking away all defensive tactics. Pain Gain smirks. As fast as initiative can be, nothing can outpace the unearthly talents of a MegaBanette's sadism. His smile does not dampen, even as he begins to rise above, slowly ascending to the open second floor.

Charlie does not capitulate, however. Utilising an offensive manoeuvre, the Noctowl unfurls his wings and angles the wingtips towards the levitating Pain Gain. Like a coiling spring, Air tautens into a singularity, which Noctowl then unleashes towards Banette. Noticing this attack, Pain Gain winces and prepares himself for this attack... which flies straight through him, phasing harmlessly like a bullet through water. When the Slash of wind has no discernible effect on Pain Gain, BLEU sputters before he realises that the Banette had shifted into ethereal, a form which can evade the physicality of wind attacks. Such a simple fact about ghostly foes, yet one fact which renders Ghosts so formidable.

When Charlie sneers at his own failure, Pain Gain pulls himself into a fighting stance. Now is the Banette's turn for terror. Pain Gain opens his arms in a mocking simulacrum of embrace towards Charlie, as the ghost pulsates an eerie sheen of mauve light. Roiling, the rustling power expands and enshrouds Noctowl like a reliquary. As the fetid stench of rotting flesh wafts, the dark essences link Pain Gain and Charlie together. Pain Gain fashions some of this energy as a rusty nail, which he then drives into himself. While the Banette gasps, the Curse enacts. Charlie trembles at this moment. He does not realise the full enormity of what has occurred, but he knows that something terrible has happened. And Charlie's breath hitches with horror when some of his own health siphons away, signalling the start of a new chapter.

MegaBanette spent more energy than Noctowl and may enjoy a breather, although it is not strictly necessary. Noctowl is absolutely fine for now.

Although MegaBanette lost a great deal of health, Noctowl is now Cursed and will continue to suffer.

-Zelphon to order.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:56 PM   #23
Zelphon
Happy October

Hex the Bictwil and then make an Invisible dash for the upper levels. Try to hide.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:37 PM   #24
BLEU
Cascade Badge

Foresight. Follow up with Psycho shift.

Quote:

Old 11-05-2014, 08:04 PM   #25
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

ROUND 3: Psycho

ROUND 3: Psycho
MegaBanette vs Noctowl

Shrieking with glee, Pain Gain cackles, as he watches his pained opponent. An embodiment of sadism, Pain Gain genuinely treasures these moments of anguish. They invigorate him, as much as sunlight would sustain a morning glory. Eager to worsen Charlie's suffering, Pain Gain segues into a technique designed to exploit Charlie's predicament. Chaining together a dark string of words. Pain Gain congregates a swathe of supernatural power. As Pain Gain casts a Hex, a large cloud of sinister swirling materialises over the pained Charlie. The spell weaves together like a tapestry, and a giant eye – raw-rimmed to the retina – emerges from the nimbus, glaring at Charlie with utmost judgment. Instantly, a vicious pain stabs Charlie in the heart, reacting with the Curse already placed over him. Charlie screams and contorts, feeling as though every nerve is on fire.

Charlie does not give up, though. Indeed, the Noctowl still retains his glint of determination, even after the Hex crackles over him. Now is not the time to surrender, not when Charlie has a plan. After Pain Gain finally ends the sinister Hex, Charlie straightens himself and takes a calming breath. He launches his counter-intiative without hesitation. A Foresight blossoms from Charlie's eyes, bating the entire shopping mall in a gentle, burgundy sheen. When the crimson gleam fades away, Charlie relaxes and smiles with relief. This technique should do for now. While Charlie gathers his resolve, Pain Gain scowls and becomes flummoxed. Why on earth is Charlie smiling? What did that infernal Noctowl do now? Surely Charlie should not be smiling after such a painful encounter with the supernatural.

Pain Gain wrinkles his brow. Waiting around to find out Charlie's agenda would be a waste of time. Deciding to flee from the local vicinity, Pain Gain closes his eyes and wills his body to phase into the Invisible. Seconds pass, and the familiar sensation of a phase shift still eludes Pain Gain. Opening his eyes, Pain Gain gapes at his still-visible form, and his heart plunges with horror when he realises that Charlie's Foresight has locked his body in the solid form. The red glimmer earlier had stripped away Pain Gain's ghostly abilities, tethering him to the material plane. While Pain Gain comes to grip with his new situation, Charlie segues into a technique which his Trainer hopes would cure his Curse.

Psychic energy floods Charlie, as he isolates an element of his mind. Linking his mind to Banette's, Charlie then releases a pulse of telepathic power. The surge of psionic energy Shifts portions of Charlie's psyche into Pain Gain, who sneers at Charlie. When the mental transfer completes, Charlie severs the mind-meld, satisfied that this manoeuvre would've passed his Curse onto Pain Gain. Charlie stiffens in shock, however, when a sharp cleave of agony rends his nerves; the Curse remains, extracting its toll on Charlie once again. Bewildered and slightly upset, BLEU swivels around to the referee, questions clearly dancing on spurting from his mouth. The referee coughs and addresses the two battlers.

"If you read the attack description Psycho Shift, the pertinent term is mental status," says the referee, pointing at his datapad. "These statuses, such as Attraction, do not deal actual damage. Physical statuses such as Poison and Burn, the ones that cause actual damage, are explicitly mentioned as being non-transferable."

He sighs. "Because Curse is a status specifically linked to causing physical damage and extracting health, it counts as a physical status for the purposes of Psycho Shift. For future reference, the only current method of removing Curse is through Refresh."

Spending a great portion of Psychic offtype, Charlie expended a noteworthy amount of energy. He is good for two. Pain Gain spent little energy and enjoyed the breather.

Unlike MegaBanette who went unharmed in this round, Charlie lost a large amount of health in this round. He is still cursed. Foresight remains in play.

-BLEU to order.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL