UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Suggestions and Inquiries

Old 08-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #26
EmeraldGoblin
Banned

Nah, the most recent S/I ruling states that Psychic can pop Shadow Ball.
EmeraldGoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:42 PM   #27
EmeraldGoblin
Banned

Something I find useful is explaining to newer members the ability to do move variations

under extra rules for attacks on the main site, we should include a section explaining the meaning of move variations. Yes, it is redundant, but fundamentally important to point out so newer players get the hang of things with much more smoothness.

-It would be the distinction of Earthquake/Bulldoze being able to transfer on the ground, and being able to be translate directly from pokemon to pokemon.

-Some moves being able to be either summoned from thin air like surf/rock tomb, or more efficient if they are area dependant. I know the description provides the variation but newer players are not too keen on how exactly to implement them into their orders at times.

-There is also the category for ranged attacks that tend to be solid gashes. This includes cross poison, X-Scissor, and hopefully a future inclusion of shadow claw traveling on the ground.

-A section somewhere explaining the stipulations of a pokemon being inorganic from not being able to be poisoned to being able to function fine underwater (lack of breathing).

Ill include some other things when they come to mind.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:54 PM   #28
Slash
Poison Jam

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Magnitude is also DCable.

Also, I think most of those are written somewhere official, possibly aside from the inorganic thing (which I think really should be affected my powders due to magic pokemon powders because they already have enough advantage being immune to poison)
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #29
Mercutio
Banned

Well this is why I asked if people could start filling in the gaps.

If you know the location of any of the things mentioned so far, please post a link!
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:16 PM   #30
EmeraldGoblin
Banned

Well, I think of the move description as a dictionary entry for the move.

What I mentioned above would be more of a "chapter" in a book explaining the actual mechanism.

EDIT: The significance of solid vs special

Mud Bomb being special for nasty plot bonus, but solid projectile when actually launched breaking light screen with ease but having a hard time pass reflect.

Wind moves are a favorite topic.

Most water moves being purely solid

Fire Blast.

Basically, any real exception of physical vs special and how do boost apply for them, ect.

Last edited by EmeraldGoblin; 08-01-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:28 PM   #31
Ex-Admiral Insane
Marsh Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Ex-Admiral Insane
(You knew this was coming)

A small contribution was made by Razor Raven on conditional orders (and mainly how to make proper sense of them). Perhaps add them to the PASBL site under the heading ‘What constitutes an attack’? It’s mainly to avoid having people give complicated orders that make little to no sense at times. (I'm largely guilty of this.)

The sleep cause. Though it’s fairly well known now that each side only gets to use one successful sleep move per battle, perhaps it would help a little to add this to the ‘Status Guide’.
For that matter, could you add the Status Guide to the PASBL site when you get the chance?

Perhaps the same could be done for healing moves. It’s posted somewhere but not somewhere that’s intuitive for newcomers nor in a thread you would stumble on often. (Basing this last assumption on the amount of questions that have been asked about it in the past.)

Apparently Normal/Flying Dual types don’t suffer the normal-type penalty? I can’t see it being confirmed anywhere and though it might make sense, it’s a second pitfall to fall in for newcomers after finding out Normal types don’t get the usual HB of off-type energy (which is a rule that is properly written down).

Could you add to Dig’s description that any Pokémon physically capable of doing it can perform the move? Or otherwise add it to ‘Extra Rules for Attacks’?

Perhaps a small separate section on item stealing moves. I remember that there were plans to reduce the effectiveness on tokens and badges and that Mega Tokens were completely incapable of being stolen.

A small reminder that floating Pokémon do indeed have a flight ceiling and that, in some cases, this flight ceiling doesn’t necessarily keep them out of reach from physical attacks from taller Pokémon.

A cap has now been instated on boost moves. It’s well known now but the idea of it losing its strength over time and not stacking like it does in the game is something you at first have to watch out for.

The time-limit on rounds. Just need a rule of thumb. I remember reading complaints on this being done wrong both ways; rounds that last way too long and rounds that end way too quickly.

Tiredness and resting in a Pokéball. Though tiredness has been somewhat addressed in the ‘Getting Started’ Thread, it is vague enough to allow one person to gain an unfair advantage in battle if reffed wrongly.

Weight-based mechanics. Though I don’t think it’s ever been done wrong, a lot of questions have been asked on telekinetic-psychic in the Ref Q/A for example and it should be noted that damage from attacks such as body slam do not exceed a HB (don't remember where I read this). So apparently Snorlax can’t KO a (crippled) Caterpie with a Body Slam?

DC/MC/FC. Most of these are in the attack descriptions but some are missing this extra such as Focus Blast.

ASB Profile
Fizzy Bubbles Profile|Wishlist Post
Wild Future

Fizzy Bubbles Team:
Spoiler: show
Adventure:
Base:
Transport:
Communication:
Dragons:
Draconid Monsters:
Ex-Admiral Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:47 PM   #32
Haymez
Decidedly Epic

Send a message via Skype™ to Haymez
A couple of links I thought I'd throw out

Once having your reffing app approved you can ref with consent of both battlers as a D-rank
A bit old, so there might be a more recent place.

One healing move per match

One use of rest per Pokemon per match as well as only one successful sleep move per Pokemon per match

Really that thread in general, which is commonly overlooked, especially the earlier posts, though some of it is no longer applicable. I tried to pick out rulings that were still in effect for the above links.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:05 PM   #33
Slash
Poison Jam

And the ruling on top of that sleep clause that drowsiness =/= sleep move
Old 08-02-2014, 08:58 PM   #34
Jerichi
本✚能

I was gonna wait to post this until I felt it was done but since a lot of the stuff I've already added has been mentioned in this thread, I'll post it.

Quote:
General Rules for Attacks
Legal Attacks
A Pokémon in the ASB is able to use any attack that it can learn through the following methods in the video games:
Level Up
TM/HM
Move Tutor
Egg Move
Nintendo/GameFreak/PCNY Event
Mystery Gift Event
XD Purification Moves
Dream World
This includes any moves learned by preevolutions through these methods. In addition, any moves that are usable through error in the games (such as Earthquake Lanturn) or were shown to be usable in the anime but are not normally learnable in the games (such as Whirlwind Bulbasaur) may also be used in the ASB. The official source for the ASB for Level Up, TM/HM, Move Tutor, and Egg Moves is veekun.com; any moves listed there will be considered legal. Additionally, any moves listed in the For Future Reference thread found in the Suggestions & Inquiries subforum are considered legal.

Illegal Moves
A small number of moves that are considered legal in-game are banned or unusable in the ASB.
Pikachu - Fly, Pain Split (Pichu can use Pain Split, but since Notch Ear Pichu cannot evolve, neither Pikachu nor Raichu have access to the move)
Eevee - Transform

Additional Legal Moves
A small number of basic moves may be ordered for nearly any Pokémon, provided they have sufficient anatomy to perform it.
Tackle, Body Slam, Skull Bash, Headbutt - All Pokémon who are able to achieve a solid form can use these four moves. However, if they cannot use the move legally, Tackle will cause slight recoil, Body Slam will lose its paralysis chance, Skull Bash will lack its protective shield, and Headbutt will be slightly less powerful.
Growl - All Pokémon capable of making vocalizations will be able to use Growl, though Pokémon who are able to use the move legally will be able to perform it more successfully.
Bite, Pound, Tail Whip - All Pokémon who have teeth/limbs/a tail may use Bite/Pound/Tail Whip with no reduction in damage or drawbacks.
Agility, Dodge - All Pokémon may be ordered to dodge with Agility, using the short-term version. However, only Pokémon who can legally use the move may use the long-term version, and those who cannt legally learn it will be slightly slower to react. Additionally, all Pokémon may be ordered to dodge, which will involve less energy but will be much less likely to succeed.

Additional Move Rules
Recovery Clause - Any moves considered to be a "recovery move" (i.e. a move that directly restores health) may be used once per Pokémon per battle.
Draining/Energy Recovery Moves - All draining moves which drain energy and recover it from the foe work similarly, restoring about half the energy drained from the target (unless otherwise stated). Multiple uses of draining moves will cause diminished effects, effecting not only the move used, but other draining moves. However, low-power draining moves such as Leech Life and Absorb are not subject to this. Additionally, any moves that directly recover energy (e.g. Wish, Rest) will suffer from diminishing returns for multiple uses, especially if they are consecutively or within a few rounds.
Sound Moves - There are two kinds of sound moves in the ASB, non-damaging, frequency-based moves and damaging, amplitude-based moves. Non-damaging sound moves (e.g. Supersonic, Screech, Howl, Roar, Noble Roar, etc.) carry no energy themselves and are not subject to any type modification. Pokémon with sensitive hearing are more likely to be startled by these moves and may be more vulnerable to their effects. Damaging sound moves (e.g. Hyper Voice, Boomburst, Round, Chatter, etc.) are simply energy-based moves carried via sound. While those with sensitive hearing will be vulnerable to the associated sound, they will not take additional damage. Type modification will be calculated as normal.
Boosts and Drops - Moves that raise or lower statistics in the ASB function somewhat differently from the games. Most moves raise or lower attack one or more "stages"; each stage corresponds to a roughly 10% increase or decrease in the power of moves or the resistance to attacks. Multiple uses of boosting moves that affect the same stat will cause the boost to be slightly less when over two stages. Boosts will fade over time, taking roughly 3 rounds for a stat to fall or rise from one stage to normal. This means that higher-level stat gains or drops will take longer to fade than lower-level modifications. Non-standard boost/drop moves like Belly Drum or Memento, which drastically change a stat, may not be affected by these rules in the same way.
Curses - A number of moves in the ASB work by applying strange curses on the foe. These curses act like psuedo-statuses and may trigger boosts from moves like Facade or Hex. While some curses have special rules for their elimination, most will fade after a period of time or if Refresh or Heal Bell is used.
Any additions?

気紛れを 許して 今更なんて思わずに急かしてよ
もっと中迄入って あたしの衝動を 突き動かしてよ

asbwffb

[jerichi]

Last edited by Jerichi; 08-02-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:36 PM   #35
Slash
Poison Jam

Pain Split's script notes diminishing returns, and I think it probably should stay subject to them.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:42 PM   #36
EmeraldGoblin
Banned

Yeah, I have to agree with Kairne on that one. It becomes a bit dangerous to have it work fully every single time a pokemon gets a chance.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:44 PM   #37
Jerichi
本✚能

Already edited. Anything else?

気紛れを 許して 今更なんて思わずに急かしてよ
もっと中迄入って あたしの衝動を 突き動かしてよ

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 08-02-2014, 09:47 PM   #38
EmeraldGoblin
Banned

The ability to perform move variations, which i mentioned earlier.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #39
Slash
Poison Jam

Is there a list of what does and does not count as a curse? I mean, clearly, Curse, Snatch, Mean Look, Taunt, Torment, and Nightmare are the basic fare, but Spite is a bit of a curse, too, just not one that lasts any real duration. A basic list might help.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:09 PM   #40
Jerichi
本✚能

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldGoblin View Post
The ability to perform move variations, which i mentioned earlier.
There's no way I'm going to be able to include every single variation in a list, and putting in a clause that says "moves can be used different ways" is just asking for trouble. I think it's best it stays unwritten and that people are just told to be creative and we can canonize any variations that crop up.

>Curse

Yeah, but Spite isn't something that lingers - this clause applies to lingering curses. If it's a curse, it's mentioned in the description.

気紛れを 許して 今更なんて思わずに急かしてよ
もっと中迄入って あたしの衝動を 突き動かしてよ

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 08-03-2014, 05:01 AM   #41
Mercutio
Banned

Jeri some while ago we talked about making the attacks that everyone can learn section actually make sense. We were going to remove Skull Bash and then say that birds can peck, things with limbs can pound, claws can scratch etc and basically make it intuitive and useful rather than the current slightly idiotic rules.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:11 AM   #42
Mercutio
Banned

I'm going to blitz through SCs in the next few days and get them finished off. It would really help me if someone could collate all the poorly/not defined terms that exist within SCs i.e. "fights more enthusiastically", "uncomfortable in urban environments". I'm going to write some updated extremely vague and flexible guideline definitions that offer suggestions for appropriate effects but do not hold your hand, so to speak.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:49 PM   #43
Lucario188
Thank you Daisy!

This thread is a good idea, thank you.

I really don't think these are written anywhere:
>Rocks-types resist (XX) moves
>When you're attacking a Flying/[Other] pokémon with Ground-type attacks, you ignore the flying type when determining weaknesses. Therefore Tropius takes 1/2 damage from Ground moves, while Charizard is 2x damage from them. This only applies for Ground-type attacks.
(I feel like there are other unwritten weakness things that I'm missing too...)

The other thing that isn't clearly explained anywhere is leveling one's pokémon.
Dave explained it pretty throughly for me a while ago here.
I've copied and pasted what he wrote and then edited to make things clearer.

1. When you're TL1, you get 15 Pokémon slots. Two of those slots can be uplevel Pokémon (this is a constant throughout the level system unless you pay SP or capture a Legendary).
2. When you get the KOs/TP to hit TL2, all of the Pokémon you currently own go up one level with you. When you're TL1, they'll all go up to Level 2, with your uplevels going up to Level 3.
3. You can then rearrange your uplevels to something else. For instance, if you had a Croconaw and a Fearow as your TL1 uplevels, it doesn't make as much sense for them to be your TL2 uplevels since they can't evolve at TL2, but you could allocate their slots to something else, and get a Quagsire and an Abomasnow instead for example.
4. You also gain three extra Pokémon slots when you go up a Trainer Level. These Pokémon must be added at Level 1 in their lowest evolutionary form. To level up these Pokémon to your current level, you can either pay 1 SP per level needed, or have them on your squad at Level 1 during a battle, which upon completion will level them up. (The pokémon do not have to participate in the battle to level up.)
5. When you're at TL2 or higher and choose to chop and change your squad, any new additions must also start at Level 1 in their lowest evolutionary form, which get levelled up as above. If you get the KOs/TP to advance from TL2 to TL3 and you have any Level 1 Pokémon on your team, they advance to Level 2 as you level up.

For clarification, if you're TL2, you can have have any TL3 pokémon for your two uplevel slots. However, if the pokémon you want is evolved, you acquire it in its lowest evolutionary form. So for example, if you had just advanced from TL1 to TL2, and you wanted to add an Arbok in one of your three new slots to be one of your two uplevels, you would acquire it as a Level 1 Ekans that would then have to be on a squad during two leveling battles to level up.

--
--
PASBL - TL3 | Wild Future - Thea Reding
Quote:
[1/19/14] Kit Kat: Oh please, you can't do Emo.
[1/19/14] Kit Kat: You're like happy and shit.
Lucario188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:44 AM   #44
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

An exception to the above is pokemon whose entire evolutionary line is acquired at the same level- If one were to add a Butterfree, for example, they could add it as a Butterfree, not a Caterpie.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:38 AM   #45
Slash
Poison Jam

Or Pokemon that evolve TL2 being added as uplevels, such as the middle stages of the starters.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:54 AM   #46
Connor
Who Knows?

With regards to uplevel or Mega boosts, Pokemon only receive the boosts to their defensive and offensive stats. These should strictly be damage alteration. This boost does not affect the speed of the Pokemon, nor their ability to react, and as such should not be affected as such. Uplevel and Mega boosts should only affect the damage dealt and the damage taken.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:25 AM   #47
Mercutio
Banned

Yeah that's definitely not what I thought so will write that down haha.

Will collate at weekend- someone remind me.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:25 AM   #48
Mercutio
Banned

Yeah that's definitely not what I thought so will write that down haha.

Will collate at weekend- someone remind me.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:29 AM   #49
Sneaze
I'm sorry, Talon :(

Send a message via Skype™ to Sneaze
That's... not an unwritten rule as far as I'm aware? Who told you that? Because frankly better trained and higher level 'mon should be a bit more alert and such than their lower level or evolutionary counterparts.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Whatever Sneasel says is right
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:47 AM   #50
Shuckle
Mage of Mind

I feel that maybe it should vary depending on the Mega. But at least should be codified.

Like, Mega Charizard Y is described as having "greater flying capabilities" than plain old Charizard. That means a boost to speed and maneuverability, unless I'm grossly mistaken.

As for uplevel boost, it's kind of tricky territory, but I agree with Sneaze in that they're likely to be a bit faster and more alert. Call it experience and training.

Spoiler: show
[The Sorcerer's Ambition]A handy link, to be sure.
Level Acquisitions, sorted by level instead of name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
Shuckle's awesomeness level continues to rise.
Shuckle is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Suggestions and Inquiries