UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Suggestions and Inquiries

Old 07-01-2014, 07:27 AM   #26
KamenAeons
What are you looking at?

Perhaps it could be possible to give Magical Leaf homing capabilities to differentiate it from from Razor Leaf. I mean, it has the glow, so make it able to track down through Double Team? *totally isn't biased for Grass buffs*

Spoiler: show

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #27
Slash
Poison Jam

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
I think the differentiation is that Razor Leaf hits physical, but Magical Leaf is energy.
As may be expected though, our clear winner here was Kairne, ASB's champion of prioritizing the pokemon you like over those that are objectively better. I mean, one of his mains is a Watchog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezey12 View Post
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.
Leader of the "Stop Screwing Over Smeargle" Brigade

ASB
Art by Kairne
ASB
[URL="http://forums.upnetwork.net/showthread.php?t=4387"]
Daisy Art:

Battlecuts courtesy of DaisyInari

Random stuffs:

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:22 PM   #28
Mercutio
Banned

Actually I agree with Kamen. Ingame auto hit mkves need at least something other than being widespread to differentiate them and a common theme wouldn't go amiss. Swift is pointless, so are many of them.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:18 PM   #29
Jerichi
本✚能

Celebrate (XX) -- The user celebrates a positive event, increasing their enthusiasm and possibly lessening the effects of anger-related moves, as well as increasing the power of their next move.

Useable by: Pikachu, Raichu, Eevee + Eeveelutions

Happy Hour (NO) -- Using significant energy, the user radiates a positive energy field that doubles the beneficial and detrimental effects on the stats of all active participants in the battle for the remainder of the round.

Useable By: Inkay, Malamar

Hold Back (XX) -- The user (always Celebi) hits the target with a swift, but controlled strike, dealing light damage for light energy. This move will never cause a Pokémon to faint, but is threatening enough that it may evoke a reaction.

Useable By: Celebi

Hold Hands (XX) -- The user holds hands with an ally while radiating a positive aura, improving the mood of their partner and calming them, resetting the mental state of both Pokémon and causing them to fight more enthusiastically. Their next attack will also be somewhat more effective. This move uses moderate energy.

Useable By: Vivillon

Consider this the first phase of the audit.

Last edited by Jerichi; 07-08-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:23 PM   #30
Mercutio
Banned

Jeri it might be more sensible to a) put these in errata and b) update the OP of both errata threads so that we don't have three different sources of attack descriptions going.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:38 PM   #31
Heather
Know when to hold 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairne View Post
In-game, tall grass makes Nature Power Seed Bomb, but Grassy Terrain makes it Energy Ball. For consistency's sake, I'd like it to reflect that here.
Correction: Tall grass (at least normal grass, can't speak for super tall) makes Nature power become Stun Spore ingame. I would know as that is part of what makes Nuzleaf/Seedot so hard to raise. Unless that changed in Hen 6 because CrackFreak decided to screw internal consistency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Things One Is Not Allowed To Do In Exalted
244) While not FORBIDDEN, my Midnight is to keep in mind that using an army of animated skeletons in order to fill the town square with a rendition of "Spooky Scary Skeletons" is going to be considered odd at best.
WF Things
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:43 PM   #32
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Having just checked, in Gen VI both grass and Grassy Terrain make Nature Power come out as Energy Ball.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #33
Heather
Know when to hold 'em

Huh, didn't know that it changed at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Things One Is Not Allowed To Do In Exalted
244) While not FORBIDDEN, my Midnight is to keep in mind that using an army of animated skeletons in order to fill the town square with a rendition of "Spooky Scary Skeletons" is going to be considered odd at best.
WF Things
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:02 PM   #34
Jerichi
本✚能

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Jeri it might be more sensible to a) put these in errata and b) update the OP of both errata threads so that we don't have three different sources of attack descriptions going.
I was planning on doing that but I didn't.

気紛れを 許して 今更なんて思わずに急かしてよ
もっと中迄入って あたしの衝動を 突き動かしてよ

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 07-08-2014, 02:32 AM   #35
Shuckle
Mage of Mind

>Happy Hour

Incremental and decremental are probably not the words you want. Maybe "Beneficial" and "Detrimental"?

[The Sorcerer's Ambition]A handy link, to be sure.
Level Acquisitions, sorted by level instead of name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
Shuckle's awesomeness level continues to rise.
Shuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:34 PM   #36
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

No, pretty sure those were the words he was looking for. They mean to go up or down in stages. So basically it imbues all pokemon with Simple for the round.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:24 PM   #37
Slash
Poison Jam

I want to say that Copycat, Me First, and Mirror Move should use something closer to 1.25x energy instead of 1.5x energy, because 1.5x seems overly nerfed.

Although Me First might should be 1.5x energy if it gets a 1.2x/1.25x boost to power as well, since in-game Me First increases power.

Also, I've been thinking about Giga Impact and the elemental Hyper Beams. I think maybe they should be given slightly less downside. "The user must spend the next round resting" is really, really severe. I'm not saying there should be no penalty to it, but maybe something slightly less.

On that note, could Blast Burn, Hydro Cannon, and Frenzy Plant be made a little more Hyper Beam-ish, in making them able to go part-charged? It might could break the monotony of Flamethrower etc every round, and encourage a bit more creativity on orders.

Oh, also, diamond storm. Can we get a script for that?
Old 07-12-2014, 12:26 AM   #38
Jerichi
本✚能

I agree with the HB stuff, but I'm gonna have to think on the rest.

And I'll pull out my descript that I made for Diamond Storm and post it in Errata

気紛れを 許して 今更なんて思わずに急かしてよ
もっと中迄入って あたしの衝動を 突き動かしてよ

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 07-12-2014, 04:15 PM   #39
Shuckle
Mage of Mind

>Kairne/hyperbeemz

I brought this up a while ago! I think the response I received was "well no ref is going to actually enforce that because it's dumb" so it's good you guys are doing this now

I was thinking about Disable recently and how useless it is. Currently, it's a puppeteering move without the puppeteering, and ends right after the user stops concentrating.

Because of refs wanting to be fair, this ALWAYS (10/10 cases, aka every time) results in the Pokemon regaining full function of its limbs and body and mind, which then allows them to dodge whatever large and scary attack is coming at them. So in the end?

The pokemon has just used 2 hyper beams of energy Disabling the opponent and launching a FC Hyper Beam to make sure it doesn't miss. The attack missed anyway, and the pokemon took decent damage from the Agilidodge -> Hidden Power.

It could be better.

Maybe if it was more like a neurotoxin? Black Widow venom floods the body with ACH (acetylcholine), which causes intense muscle spasms. A Disable could possibly just give you a sharp lock-up that interrupts whatever you happen to be doing.

So, like, you wouldn't be able to just use it to hold someone still while you ready an attack (a strategy that basically never works in PASBL anyway, but still! It's like Disable's listed function, so it's really not okay that it can't do that). Instead, you'd use it as a disruption or preventative measure.

In the Anime, there's a really inconsistent application of Disable. There's a weird one involving Golduck that disintegrates every move that tries to hit it (????), but most of them seem to be "pulse of energy that stops movement." with a few different applications thrown in for good measure (one blocks the use of an attack for a while, another is mind control).

I'd say "the user releases a shock of psychic energy that sharply locks up the target's muscles. It only lasts for a second or two." But you can do your own I guess.

Quote:
Old 07-12-2014, 04:21 PM   #40
Mercutio
Banned

Well the thing about using the disable interpretation we currently do is that there's ni reason to order it. It's just shit Psychic. So using the Hoenn interpretation would be good.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:34 PM   #41
Slash
Poison Jam

Reiterating what's posted here:
Heat Crash
Heavy Slam
Tail Slap
Steamroller
Double-Slap
Double Hit
Double Kick
Comet Punch
Pin Missile
Twineedle
Triple Kick
Fury Attack
Fury Cutter
Fury Swipes
Spike Cannon
Arm Thrust
Egg Bomb
Crabhammer
Synchronoise
Thrash
Rage

As well:

Acrobatics has in-game power of 55, which doubles in the user is not holding an item, because serperior maneuverability or freeness or magic or what have you. In ASB, with different item mechanics, that doesn't so much work, and it carries a somewhat low base of decent. I propose kicking that to solid, and letting it hit significant in the case of the target having an attached item and the user not. Gives it some better usability, and is more true to the move's intent.

Arm Thrust is still XX, really should be Fighting

Assist:
Assist (VA) -- The user's hand or paw glows with energy, and shoots out a random projectile attack which one of its trainer's other Pokémon which were brought to battle. It cannot select from fainted Pokémonfs attacks, nor Pokémon who are on the field with it at the time the attack is used. There is no limit to what will come out of the hand: Bulbasaur vines, String Shot, etc. are all possible to come from the "cat's hand." The randomly selected attack is usually of the type of the Pokémon the user emulates, and is usually a weak to moderate level attack.)

This could probably stand to lose those last two clauses, they aren't quite as fitting. Probably should be step 1: RNG the ally you're emulating, step 2: RNG any one move from its movepool

Although personally I prefer it as XX, Astonish might like to be Ghost now. Regardless, may want to bump it up from light to mild to fit its in-game power.

Autotomize... I don't even know what to do.

Barrage's script is self-contradictory:
Barrage (NO) -- The user creates dozens of balls of energy, and shoots them at their opponent. The attack overall has horrid accuracy, but about a quarter of them would hit a standing target from 20 yards away. Each ball does light damage, and the attack usually does considerable damage on average. At most, about a third of the "eggs" will hit, dealing solid damage. Moves like Lock-On and Mind Reader do not affect the accuracy of this attack.
It says it caps at solid, but also says it averages at considerable, which is higher.

I would like Bestow to also have the ability for the user to sacrifice a good level of energy to give it to another Pokemon, because I think it works well for this kind of format.

Bite is an interesting one. Personally, I think Pokemon who get Bite naturally should get a Dark-typed Bite, but other Pokemon who are granted it by the rule that gives all Pokemon with teeth the ability to use Bite, it should be XX. Also it's labeled as (NO) currently. Also also, it merely states the damage depends on the Pokemon, so it should probably have a listed general damage rating (moderate-considerable sounds good there, averaging at good for most, with things like Snubbull and Snorunt at the higher end and things like the monkeys towards the lower end).
It's also had an energy glow now:

Can Bounce be Flying-typed now?

Brick Break's base is good, but is base 75 in-game, which lines up more with considerable. Can we have that increase?

Bullet Seed has no real listed range, which should probably be around decent to considerable at least, if not a little higher.

Calm Mind should probably increase special attack and special defense both, and really needs to lose the "only really adds noticeable power to STAB moves" thing.

As mentioned, the vast inefficiency that nerfs Copycat, Mirror Move, etc, should really be lowered to something like 1.2x energy instead of the obscene 1.5x

Detect really needs to be fixed. For one, an 80% success rate for the first use is really terrible. And the energy use is obscene, especially for the effects that are pretty much a lesser ST Agility. It should also probably see through subs, to give it somewhat of a unique quirk.

As written, Discharge is quite direct. It should probably be amended to be widespread like it is supposed to be.

Drain Punch's power was buffed in-game to 75 back in Gen V, so I'd support kicking it from good to considerable.

Mean Look should probably be changed to prevent switching moves in Switch = KO, but not in Switch = OK, where conventional switching is a thing. Because Mean Look Pass is fairly OP as it is.

Freeze-Dry is fine, but uses the wrong "it's", and has that end bracket for some reason:
Freeze-Dry (IC) - The user breathes out extremely cold air which surrounds the foe, rapidly chilling them and dealing solid damage, possibly causing localized freezing. Ice types use this move to it's full potential, the rapid freezing the rapid freezing making it ]extremely effective against Pokémon who hold a significant amount of moisture and thus super effective against Water types.

Since Echoed Voice is pretty much a Fury Cutter clone, can we make Fury Cutter have the same mechanic as Echoed Voice, because it isn't too well-written currently?

Gunk Shot is heavy, probably needs to be bumped to major like it is in-game.

Being more high-risk, and having a significantly higher in-game power rating, High Jump Kick could use a bump to major at least, if not severe, where it sits in-game.

Ice Ball is just... ehhh. We should probably make it mild, + light for each subsequent use, because, as written, it grows exponentially and caps at 2^5 minors, over 2 HB.

Ice Shard is mild, maybe make it moderate?

We know Icy Wind is good, but maybe list that in its script.

Incinerate is vastly inefficient, mild damage for solid energy, and probably needs a buff to around decent or good.

Same as HJK, Jump Kick is also higher-risk and wants to be bumped to heavy to fit its in-game power.

Karate Chop is still XX

If we're keeping XX and NO separate, Mega Kick and Mega Punch, whuch both have known glows, need to be classified as the latter. Also, Mega Kick would like to be heavy at least (even if not major like in-game).

Megahorn needs a bump from heavy to major

Foresight bypasses Substitute, why doesn't Miracle Eye?

Misty Terrain probably needs to be noted to be harder to blow away that just using a Gust. Defog, sure, but it really shouldn't be notably dispelled by winds weaker than about Razor Wind.

Mud Sport should be able to create the mud out of energy

Mystical Fire should probably have energy lowered a little, since solid for significant really is a bit of a distance.

Can Needle Arm have a little noted piercing potential in realistic, and/or maybe something similar to crush claw?

Odor Sleuth is kinda terrible but I'm not entirely sure at the moment how to make it better. Given our mechanics, not really something we can bring in line with foresight.

Parabolic Charge is supposed to target all Pokemon on the field in range bar the user. Think Discharge or Earthquake. That would probably help. Also in the anime it appears to do damage so maybe we should make it drain health and not energy?

Poison Jab bumped to considerable please?

Powder Snow, up from light to moderate please?

Instead of the paltry 10% of lowering defenses, Razor Shell should probably be equivalent to Crush Claw

Retaliate maybe needs to be slightly more efficient

Seed Bomb's maths really don't add up, as 10-12 balls of energy that do mild each caps at significant

Slam should probably be bumped up in damage, and should state that Pokemon with limbs can use the slamming variation if they like.

Struggle Bug deals only mild for decent, probably weak enough we can bump it up to decent (its in-game power, after all). And in the latest games it seems to be more of several energy bits rather than a light pulse

The anime, on the other hand, seems to have it capable of blocking attacks much better, almost like an offensive Safeguard-like move. Which actually would be a really cool thing to see it become.

Submission lacks the Fighting type

Not that it too much matters, but Techno Blast calls Genesect "Genosect"

Volt Tackle should do major damage, and not have the whole "deals part physical damage and part electric damage" thing. It should just deal physical Electric-typed damage.

Wake-Up Slap is moderate, but in-game is solid. I propose good as a base as a compromise.

Zen Headbutt, while probably not needing considerable due to it have a couple other effects, might could stand to be made solid instead of good.

Also, we might need to remedy the fact that "solid" means both "hits physically and breaks Light Screen" and "between 'good' and 'considerable'"
As may be expected though, our clear winner here was Kairne, ASB's champion of prioritizing the pokemon you like over those that are objectively better. I mean, one of his mains is a Watchog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezey12 View Post
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.
Leader of the "Stop Screwing Over Smeargle" Brigade

ASB
Art by Kairne
ASB
[URL="http://forums.upnetwork.net/showthread.php?t=4387"]
Daisy Art:

Battlecuts courtesy of DaisyInari

Random stuffs:

Old 07-18-2014, 01:46 PM   #42
Chalis
Activating Rampage

It works well in Doubles.
Chalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #43
Shuckle
Mage of Mind

Disable? No, not really.

Very few Pokemon who know Disable are not able to use Psychic for exactly the same purpose, but far more efficiently. Yeah you have less Psychic energy in the end for a few like Wigglytuff or Cofagrigus but that is still so much better than the obscene amounts of energy a proper Disable takes.

And even the ones who don't, like Zangoose and Muk, are STILL wasting a crapton of energy on this stupid "hold em still" tactic.

Overall, you're better off having, instead of "Disable" "Hyper beam", "Hyper Beam" "Hyper Beam" and risking the misses anyway. You end up using LESS energy, for TWICE AS MUCH DAMAGE and a higher chance of dealing it.

So that's why Disable needs to be fixed.

Quote:
Old 07-19-2014, 01:17 AM   #44
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Two FC Hyper Beams are not going to fully hit. Anyone who's reffing Disable taking more energy than Hyper Beam is clearly doing something very wrong- It's not significant energy per second of use, it's significant energy to start up. Extended use is not going to be that extreme, unless I'm very mistaken.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:21 PM   #45
Shuckle
Mage of Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
Two FC Hyper Beams are not going to fully hit. Anyone who's reffing Disable taking more energy than Hyper Beam is clearly doing something very wrong- It's not significant energy per second of use, it's significant energy to start up. Extended use is not going to be that extreme, unless I'm very mistaken.
Originally that read something reasonable like psychic wave and thunderbolt, sorry for shabby proofreading.

Quote:
Old 08-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #46
Jerichi
本✚能

So when I was going over Kairne's list of moves, one thing that I decided to leave for later is Defog, mostly because I wanted community input. I considered rewriting it to bring it in line with the games, but doing so would give the meta a very powerful way of dispelling entry hazards, in turn encouraging the prevalence of switching. Thus, before I make this change, I'd like to hear what you, the battlers, think about it and whether it should be changed at all.

気紛れを 許して 今更なんて思わずに急かしてよ
もっと中迄入って あたしの衝動を 突き動かしてよ

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 08-11-2014, 10:32 AM   #47
Mercutio
Banned

Well it's difficult to implement in game Defog because several of the moves it deals with either work differently in the ASB (Mist, Safeguard, Spikes) or are a waste of time in the ASB (... Spikes).

Personally, I don't think it should automatically destroy screens (we made them more powerful and interesting for a reason) but rewriting it to say that it is better at breaking through all screens regardless of type (incidentally we should also do this to Brick Break) would be good. Getting rid of Mist and general gas and spore moves, fine. I think that we should think twice abut making it automatically destroy entry hazards, or pull a Rapid Spin and make it so you can either target the foe or the hazards. This is partially to make it more realistic that Defog could actually destroy a load of boulders or some of the more exotic entry sigs that there are and partially to make it so that you have to make a decision to focus on destroying your foe's strategic advantage. Entry hazards should be fairly tame in the ASB but having a move that just automatically kills them and also does other things is not a good idea.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #48
Ex-Admiral Insane
Marsh Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Ex-Admiral Insane
Considering the prevalence of entry hazard sigs and the current meta I wouldn't say an extra dispelling move would be too terrible. It gives it a slight niche above other wind based moves that actually deal damage. Perhaps we could have the charge time take a while so it isn't usable all the time.

ASB Profile
Fizzy Bubbles Profile|Wishlist Post
Wild Future

Fizzy Bubbles Team:
Adventure:
Base:
Transport:
Communication:
Dragons:
Draconid Monsters:
Ex-Admiral Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:07 PM   #49
Jerichi
本✚能

Defog (FL) -- Using good energy, the user slashes the air, sending a pair of bursts laced with energy that stir up the air. This move may be targeted one of three ways. If sent undirected into the arena, it will clear fogs, mists, gases, and smogs that fill the arena. If focused on the user's side, it will clear out any entry hazards, webs, snares or lingering powders or spores. If targeted at the foe, it can be used to weaken fresh screens or destroy weak ones, blow away spore or powder moves or counter wind-based moves.

Brick Break (FT) -- An even more focused form of Rock Smash, the user concentrates their energy into their hand or other part and hits the opponent with an open-hand chop, which deals solid damage, but even more so on breakable objects such as panes due to the increase in power thanks to the follow- through. Like Rock Smash, slightly harder Pokémon will take somewhat harder damage. Brick Break is also able to more easily shatter screens, dealing significant damage to the Pokémon behind the screen.

On a semi-related note.

Gust (FL) -- The user flaps its wings, creating powerful gusts of wind which hit the opponent for good damage. It may also be used defensively to clear away mists, smogs, fogs and gases that linger in the arena.

I mean, it's been shown to do this in the anime since like the first episode, so it only seems logical to include it.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #50
Mercutio
Banned

Those look great, Jeri, thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Suggestions and Inquiries