Son of Shadows vs. Cloneblazer12
1v1
Singles
Slapstick
Equilevel 1
24h DQ
Switch=KO
Lawn Arena
Yes, that's right, Kush is reffing again. This match may very well determine whether I decide to up sticks and leave permanently or simply keep a reduced workload and ref every now and then contingent whenever I decide to invent a new item that I also want to buy. Kush brand humour is back on offer and we all know how hilarious that can be! Hey, did you hear the one about the Iranian gynacol-

Sunny: No-one thinks you're funny, Kush.

Our match today is between Son_of_Shadows, hailing from Northern Ireland if I recall correctly, and Cloneblazer12, who was presumably created by Team Rocket as an attempt to create a chilli flavoured version of blazeVa. It's a quick fire 1 vs 1 so it should be pretty good for some quick SP. What silly level did I set the bonus to again?

I'm sure you both remember the way this works but I'll go through it just to ensure that I've not forgotten anything. A quick check of the Open Challenges thread reveals that Son_of_Shadows (SOS?) will order first after the hidden orders are revealed. That'll be subsequent to the two of you PMing me your choice of pokémon, including all bio and sigs, and selecting your first orders. We're under 24 Hour DQ so I'll take that as a cue to operate under 4/6 for health and energy and 2/3x for type effectiveness (because I don't care how fast you want to battle, people should use more 4xers). I'll also probably end up doing some of this in ALCAPS because a) it's hilarious and b) it's faster.

So, I'll take some PMs from you now and don't be afraid to ask me questions or make complaints - contrary to popular belief, I'm only human! Also please feel free to bump me daily.

Last edited by Mercutio; 06-22-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
Cloneblazer12
somewhat temporarily back

Send a message via Skype™ to Cloneblazer12
Welp. PM is in. Thanks for taking this Kush and gl SoS.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:06 PM   #3
Mercutio
Banned

Round 1

Spoiler: show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows
Thanks for taking this up, handsome.

Anyway, let's go with Gem the Staryu. She has no bio/sig and HP Ground, because I am lazy and terrible and need to work on that.

Staryu (Water): Starmie and Staryu are, technically, blind. However, they use their senses, along with an excellent sense of touch, to detect opponents. Starmie and Staryu are capable of limited flight by using psychic energy. A Starmie or Staryufs core is its most vulnerable point. While not as adept at psychic abilities as Starmie, Staryu are considered familiar with psychic abilities, and can use Psychic to lift Pokémon.

Begin with Scald and follow with Water Gun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloneblazer12
Thanks for reffing this Kush. Hopefully this'll be worth your time :$

Nitro the Skarmory Male uplvl 2
Holding: Birdkeepers Token
HP Ground

Skarmory (Steel/Flying): Skarmoryfs skin is in response to the barbous places in which they live, so piercing or scratching attacks do less damage than normal against them.

Birdkeeper's Token (10 SP) - The Birdkeeper's Token signifies freedom of thought and movement that transcends the art of the possible. It can be attached to Flying type pokémon and greatly enhances their natural abilities. They will be significantly faster and more agile than their peers in whatever their usual mode of transportation is, able to travel further and with more precision and dexterity than others without expending much more energy. At ref's discretion, they will be more able to dodge attacks and harder to evade when using their own. This token may be purchased during the week long Easter event and may be purchased up to one time per trainer.

Nitro, let's go, released in the air. Roar your opponent out of his first move. Then Flash Cannon if your opponent isn't a fire or water type. If he is, Air Slash instead.

Right then lads, let's get going.

On my left, from SoS, we've Gem, a genderless Staryu packing a Ground type Hidden Power. Similarly outfitted is Clone's choice, a male Skarmory named Nitro. Nitro is also packing a Birdkeeper's Token, which could see the Flying type exhibit some astounding aerial ability this match. Neither side has a real type advantage here, though Gem arguably has the better offensive off type to play with.

Sunny: Johto pride! Johto pride!

Sorry, Sunny, but you suck major donkey balls. Now, our trainers have sent their opening orders and they're showing two different approaches to hidden rounds. SoS opts for a straight offence, his first order to Gem a sizzling Scald. Gem barely has time to glitter in the midday sun, however. Clone has opted for a disruption opener, a common tactic for some trainers. He orders Nitro to use Roar and the Steel and Flying type is quick to comply. The merest glimpse of mischief in his eye, Nitro settles at a comfortable altitude and bellows tremendously with a tenor One Direction would presumably kill for.

Sunny: See, Kush can reference popular music too!

I hope they die in a silo explosion, Sunny. Well, that Roar attack completely shuts the Staryu down, Gem's stance as cowed as it can be considering its distinct lack of a face and equal anatomy. It looks pretty shaken up by that aural assault, but Nitro doesn't immediately press the advantage. Clone has issued a conditional order as his second command, a common approach that can mitigate an inability to know who your foe is. The downside there is that you sacrifice momentum and initiative as your pokémon weighs up its options. Those few moments that Nitro takes to consult the pokédex that he apparently carries around are enough for Gem to shake off the longer term fear that Roar might usually have left as the train of destruction gets delayed at the station.

The end result of this meandering train of thought is that Gem starts the second part of the round by taking an Air Slash to the not-a-face. Nitro's attack is pretty sweet, involving a pair of extra sharp wings (maybe they'd be tasty with a bit of engine oil?) and a shot of wind and Flying type energy screeching across the lawn. That certainly hurts Gem and opens the damage for the match. However, due to that moment's respite, it manages to retaliate particularly quickly. I don't think you could say that Staryu visibly inhales, given that it's not entirely certain that it has lungs (Dave?), but it certainly exhales with a powerful Water Gun. Thanks to a somewhat generous interpretation of the animé evidence available, this is a pretty solid attack, and Gem's jet is right on the money as it blasts through Nitro's health bar. At this point I have occasion to notice the typos that Sneezey managed to dish up when he last did contract work for us so let's all just take a moment to slow clap Sneezey.

*slow ... clap*

Outstanding. Well, neither side particularly enjoyed themselves there. While Gem avoided the long term effects of Roar, its healthbar is already leaking green and it used a significant amount of energy. Quite some metres away and a little over my head height, Nitro is busily shaking water from his feathers and regretting the choice to wear shorts. He used more energy by a fraction but really these two are equal in the scales at present.

Alright, how was that?

Sunny: Kush, why did you write an entire paragraph in which nothing happened? Seems like that could be a bit boring for some people.

Sera: You are the worst. Your reffing is bad. You should feel bad, but you made that joke about how terrible Sneezey is so you can have half a point.

Laa-Laa: I liked it when you talked about One Direction!

I hate you guys. Anyway, this is long enough already and we've been going half an hour so let's pass the mic over to Son_of_Shadows to order first.

Forgetting Man: *clap*
Old 06-22-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
Son_of_Shadows
Ducks gonna duck

... And here I was hoping to nab myself a quick KO. Sad times.

Supersonic him to give you time to set up some Gravity. Bring that bird down to earth!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Son_of_Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
Cloneblazer12

Okay then...

Protect from the Supersonic as you land on the ground, then give him a Toxic. This battle will be on a timer.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:38 PM   #6
Mercutio
Banned

Round 2

Starting out with a disruption manoeuvre, SoS begins by ordering his pokémon to use Supersonic. This is a nice trick as it's not really possible to evade it, unless of course you're curled up in to a ball and rolling at speed through a terrible Gym arena, and Gem wastes no time in releasing a terrible cacophony of meaningless noise. The move renders several far away Taillow very befuddled but it has no effect upon Clone's Skarmory. That's because he's ordered Protect, a staple defensive move. It works particularly well here because Supersonic isn't very high yield, so the energy cost for Nitro is minimal. The energy dome completely muffles that sound and leaves Gem looking... well, looking nothing, but I imagine it's pretty pissed off.

SoS grunts in annoyance at the failure of his tactic and moves on to the second portion of his orders. He calls for a Gravity, a move I know well having used it to bag myself a Zapdos many moons ago. Even as Nitro settles on the ground a good distance away, the Water type expends a large amount of energy to affect the arena's gravity. Everyone puts on a couple of pounds as it becomes impossible to meaningfully fly or levitate for the next few rounds. That Birdkeeper's Token is also totally useless, a good use of SP there, but at least Rangeet will get some schadenfreude.

Sunny: Rangeet!? Boo-urns!

Bringing the round to close, it's Clone's turn to try a strategic shift. He opts for Toxic, prompting a moment's consideration of what starfish actually are. Turns out they can be poisoned, sucks to be SoS there, but Nitro's hocked up globule of poison sails through the air like a well aimed egg and splatters nicely across the five points of the target. Gem strongly regrets its lack of eyelids as the poison seeps in to the skin around the core; that'll start burning next round and puts this match on a finite timer. Solid strategic play there. Still, with no damage inflicted to either side and more energy used by the Water type this round, it's a bit of a quiet one. Both sides will be looking to ease up and use a one mover, Kush brand reffing ensuring that if they don't they'll experience energy inefficiency starting with the second move they use.

Sera: Better. Needs more mockery of Firewater.

There's time.

EDIT: Oh and we'll say that Staryu has a pair of Psychics left in the tanks.

Last edited by Mercutio; 06-22-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:52 PM   #7
Cloneblazer12

You may be on the ground, but you can still move your wings. Opt for an Air Slash.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #8
Son_of_Shadows
Ducks gonna duck

Thunderbolt.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 06-22-2014, 06:55 PM   #9
Mercutio
Banned

Round 3

Alcaps? Alcaps.

AIR SLASH! AHHHHHH!

THUNDERBOLT! AHHHHHH!

NO PARALYSIS! WOOOOO! BUT TOXIC! NOOOooooo.......

LOTS OF DAMAGE! ONE MORE THUNDERBOLT! GOOD FOR ENERGY!

Sunny: I CAN'T HEAR MY BRANE!
Old 06-22-2014, 07:41 PM   #10
Son_of_Shadows
Ducks gonna duck

I love you.

Scald the fuck out of him and Supersonic again. Let's keep up the pressure and minimise damage.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 06-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #11
Cloneblazer12

Gambles "R" Us

Taunt after the Scald. Sunny day
Old 06-23-2014, 05:21 AM   #12
Mercutio
Banned

Round 4

Yeah ALCAPS is fun but remember that it's never acceptable to do it for total newbies and it's not really ok to do it for more than a round or two in a row.

So, a round of needless shouting and questionable life choices later, SoS opens the round by ordering his Staryu to use a Scald attack. The Water type shows no emotion, a great poker not-face, and heats up a large amount of water within itself using the power of magic. It takes careful aim and fires a strong stream of steaming liquid out at the prone Skarmory before it, Nitro essentially prone and able only to awkwardly flap in the face of the highly painful move. It looks like the steely feathers of the Steel type have done a good job of resisting the possible burn there, Gem failing to inflict status for the second round in a row.

Perturbed at this failure to roll a dice correctly, SoS curses the vitriolic whore named Lady Luck and opts for something more certain. He calls out to Gem to use Supersonic, for the second time in the match, and the Staryu once more consults its considerable record collection and selects a track that I can only assume is used to torture child molesters in prison due to how completely awful it is. I man seriously this may actually be the worst thing I have ever heard.

Sunny: Hit me baby one more thyme!

Ack! Puns! Anyway, this mix of mid yield offensive move and status inflictor was popularised by S_M, a former Fossil GL, and is a great way to order going first if your pokémon has a good range of status moves to call upon. Well, once again Clone manages to put paid to this supposedly reliable status move, this time by getting Nitro to be a mean spirited bastard. The Steel and Flying type quickly uses Taunt, managing to lay a horrible curse upon Gem that will prevent it from using moves which do not deal direct damage (and also Thunder Wave because now I'm not an LO I don't have to pretend to agree with that crap) for the next couple of turns or until it deals a given amount of damage.

Sera: What? Why would Taunt need such a silly and arbitrary escape clause?

I have no comment at all. Now, bringing the round to a close, it's Clone and Nitro continuing to alter the strategic landscape. Nitro looks skyward and sends a typeless beam of light up in to the great beyond. It's Sunny Day, a Kush brand rewrite that actually worked first time, and it causes the sparse clouds above to start to shift. The true effects will be more apparent by the beginning of the next round but sufficed to say that it'll cause SoS's one remaining Thunderbolt to be less accurate and weaken the strength of its STAB Water moves. A good call by the Clone there.

Damage only to Nitro and, due to the previous SE, he's now below the half way point in terms of health - a significant gap has now formed although Toxic does mitigate this somewhat. Gem used the larger portion of energy this time around as both sides clear the first third. Gem's losing the energy race by a little at this point but both are full capable of a two mover next round.

Forgetting Man: ALCAPS REFFING! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Sera: Awful. Just awful.

Last edited by Mercutio; 06-23-2014 at 05:28 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:09 AM   #13
Cloneblazer12

When does Gravity end?
Old 06-23-2014, 08:12 AM   #14
Mercutio
Banned

End of round 6, beginning of round 7, depending on length.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:36 AM   #15
Cloneblazer12

Ugh. Nitro, thisll be a long one.

Air Slash. Remain evasive
Old 06-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #16
Son_of_Shadows
Ducks gonna duck

That was a very clever stratagem. Fair play to you. But we're far from done just yet!

Fire off a Scald, let's burn his wings!
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 06-23-2014, 05:07 PM   #17
Mercutio
Banned

Round 5

I was mistaken about the energy cost of Gravity, which is apparently 'massive' for some god forsaken reason where I had misremembered 'significant'. This means that Staryu has just over one HB of Psychic energy remaining and is slightly lower in total energy. Apologies.

One movers for each side this round, both trainers choosing to conserve energy now in order to push harder in subsequent turns. Both sides are distinctly limited by the various afflictions that they suffer under, but there's no substitute for prudence every now and then. Clone starts the turn with a third Air Slash order. Sharp wings glinting in the baking sun, the Skarmory slashes from left to right, sending the requested projectile straight out and in to the not-face of Gem for what is essentially a critical hit.

Blindsided by the blow, Gem staggers backwards before spinning swiftly on its point and sending out another blast of steaming hot water. This is Scald, the second time SoS has ordered it, and it careens in to Nitro with an audible splash. With the sun reaching its full strength here, requiring the ref to don the utterly terrible sun glasses he acquired in Camden, it's no surprise that Nitro is burned by the water! We're at range so the precision wasn't quite there, the Skarmory sporting a burn mark across its frontal plating. That might sting and enhance the damage if targeted with attacks but it won't hinder movement much.

As Toxic kicks in, with Taunt, Sunny Day and Gravity still in effect, it's a more interesting round than the lack of attacks might imply. Gem's heading for the mid point health wise but Nitro's now well past that marker. One movers keep energy nicely managed though and both are pretty fresh.

Sunny: In place of jokes, we present some high culture, as Kush used up his funny for the day thinking up pun TV show names.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:19 PM   #18
Son_of_Shadows
Ducks gonna duck

Don't you just love this weather?

Blind him with a Dazzling Gleam and aim a Power Gem at his burn.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 06-23-2014, 06:59 PM   #19
Cloneblazer12

Fuck it.

Burst agility into Double Edge. Then pin him wih Body Slam.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:22 AM   #20
Mercutio
Banned

Round 6

Sera: Lol.

So, SoS starts off our sixth round by ordering Dazzling Gleam for some reason. Brimming with unrestrained power and beauty, Gem shimmers in the midday sun and flashes brightly, the light imbued with Fairy type energy and sent blazing towards Nitro. Largely because we needed to give Fairies something interesting to attack with because Gamefreak really did not think the Fairy type through, this move has a side effect of reducing the foe's accuracy, but given that it's bloody bright already this doesn't really work that well on Nitro. It washes over the Skarmory like a warm shower for a resisted blow, the Steel and Flying type already in motion with its own orders. I'm gonna be honest, it's pretty hilarious, as despite its Flying typing and attached item the best Nitro can do in the high gravity is skip and waddle over the grass in what I suppose for argument's sake can be called Agility.

Sera: Not a great start here, being completely honest.

No it's not, Sera. Well, that Agility is actually part of a combo move on Clone's part. It doesn't work quite as well as you might like, this DPPt animé tactic being basically to boost your speed in order to get more power from your attack. Not always energy efficient but it can be useful if you've limited physical type spam. Anyway, Nitro manages to pick up what we'll for the time being label 'speed', blink away the nominal flash in his eyes and launch in to a Double Edge, managing to use the acquired momentum to deal a major blow to the Staryu. Gem is completely blindsided by the assault, staggering backwards, even as Nitro shudders from the recoil he takes.

Sunny: It's funny because Staryu are blind.

I thought you said I wasn't funny? Anyway, Gem recovers swiftly from this assault, bouncing back in short order, and uses Power Gem at the behest of its trainer. This is a special based Rock type move and Gem flashes once again to emit a light based assault. At close range, aim is no trouble and Gem puts the Power Gem straight through Nitro's chest, sort of scoring a critical hit even though there's no real substance to the blow. Clone can see this from across the way and calls out in empathy with his pokémon. Nitro caws in acknowledgement and hurls himself at his foe, managing to pin the smaller Water type beneath his metal chest, wings outstretched to complete the Body Slam most stably. The gravity of the situation -

Sunny: Bahahahaha

- is not lost on Gem and SoS, but Nitro's weight does seem to be lessening with every passing moment as the round draws to a close.

A lot of energy used by both sides there, probably more by Nitro, and while Gem has got another of each of those off type moves to play with at least, both sides are heading out in to the second half of their reserves. As for health, Nitro's critical and not too much is required to take him out, while Gem's just under the 1/4 mark owing to Toxic and a three mover.

Laa-Laa: That Skarmory's not as heavy as me but Gem will certainly find it hard to free itself until the Gravity completely returns to normal during the next round! That could be a real problem in the sun and with that Toxic going on! I'd have though special moves are easier to pull off, though!

Sera: At least Gem's not under Taunt any more.

Sunny: Aaaaaahahahahahaha stop stop.

Forgetting Man: Musetta must be a screamer. That's how I like 'em.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:52 AM   #21
Cloneblazer12

So umm... if this fails, well, Im sorry Nitro. Blame my incompetence as a trainer. (Thank god I dont care about the outcome that much).

Roost while you keep him pinned, it thats even possible :$
Old 06-24-2014, 12:08 PM   #22
Son_of_Shadows
Ducks gonna duck

Thunderbolt to get him off you, Scald, aiming for the burn and finish with Power Gem if you need to.

Possible 3.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 06-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #23
Mercutio
Banned

Round 7

Trying to buy some more time, Clone orders Nitro to use Roost. The Skarmory settles on his ornate perch and begins to recover health. SoS smiles and activates his trap card, calling on Gem to use a Thunderbolt. Th starfish crackles and fizzes underneath the bulk of Nitro and releases its attack directly in to the metal of the bird. The large amount of overkill beats baxk the health regeneration and blasts Nitro upwards like a North Korean missile. Dirty and mostly broken.

Nitro is unable to battle!

Son_of_Shadows is the winner by KO amd receives 1 KO and 2TP.
Cloneblazer12 receives 1TP.
Mercutio receives 2SP.

Not a bad effort all, have a good battle to replace this!

Kush out.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:17 PM   #24
Cloneblazer12

Welp. Gravity fucked me over big time. gg.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:22 PM   #25
Son_of_Shadows
Ducks gonna duck

Awesome! Thanks for the match Clone, you put up a great fight despite not appreciating the gravity of the situation. Man, Staryu is awesome. I actually learned quite a lot from this match, so thanks to you and of course Kush, for reffing so well and so quickly.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL