UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Wild Future > Johto > Olivewood Ocean

Old 03-19-2014, 08:01 PM   #1
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to gmoyes
Entry 1: Back to Beginnings

Alex stumbled a little as he made his way down the gangway onto the Olivine pier. It felt weird after several days a sea to be back on solid land, but it was also a relief. He was finally here. With a sigh he looked at the city skyline. While it was his hometown with the destruction and rebuilding, it was completely alien. He had hoped to find the site of his old home, but who knew where that would be now?

As he looked around the dockside he spotted a poster with the Pokémon League emblem on it. He went over and looked it over. It was announcing an incentive to new trainers in Kanto/Johto with all new trainers for the next month can pick up a free pokeball and TM at their local Pokémon Center. He figured that that was where he might as well start. He was a new trainer to the region so he may as well start somewhere. The Pokémon Center was also a vital destination for any trainer.

Soon arriving in the lobby of the Olivine Pokémon Center, he made a beeline towards the electronic dispenser. He scanned his trainer ID into the machine and scrolled through the selections before settling on a Dusk Ball and a TM Hidden Power. The Dusk Ball would be useful in dark places and half the day. And the majority of Pokémon could learn Hidden Power and it gave them options for more types. Also he’s done some research into the subject so he knew some of what was going to come out of it. Still, it would be best to try it out.

Reaching into his pocket he pulled out a pokeball. With a twitch of his hand he released the small fox-like Pokémon contained within who came to hover just above the ground. Alex crouched down in front of the Abra. “Hey Phi, we’re here. We’re in Olivine.”

...good...

“They were givin’ stuff away here so I picked up a TM of Hidden Power. How ‘bout we boot it up?”

...sure...

Alex loaded up the TM into the TM case and then transferred the information into Phi. After a moment there was a chime that signaled that the process was finished. He gave a nod. “Ok then, give me a Hidden Power charge. Let’s see what type you’ve got.”

Alex watched as the Abra focused and conjured a few tan balls of energy that started to orbit his body. The man gave a smirk. “Looks like Ground. Ok, dissipate the energy.” The spheres fizzled out and Alex put the equipment into his bag. He then took out an old map to the Kanto/Johto region made before the rapid climate changes. Sure it was out of date, but it made some differences clear. And some similarities still existed and one was majorly upgraded here in Olivine.

He folded the map up and looked back to his partner. “I guess we’re headed off to the Lighthouse then. Let’s see what we can find.”

...sure...

With that, the duo exited the center and headed towards the lighthouse.
gmoyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

(So I'm taking this, but not using the quests I posted in the updater reg thread, because you probably saw them, and that wouldn't be conducive to a good adventure. We cool? We cool.)

---

Now that his Abra has been outfitted satisfactorily with the ability to unleash his hidden powers, Alex is eager to begin his journey throughout his old stomping ground of Olivine. Of course, things can hardly be as he remembers them. Fifteen years is a very long time, after all, and, though it recovered much faster than other areas, the Disaster has torn the city in half. The industry sector is booming however, as Olivine leads the recovery effort, and Alex can't help but be struck by the sheer difference in the city from his childhood, now much more sleek and modern.

His destination today is the Luster Lighthouse, by far the city's most impressive feature, and with Phi clinging to his back, he strides off from the Pokémon Centre. It doesn't take him too long to reach it, and locating it is not exactly the world's most taxing task, given that it can practically be seen from Azalea. As he's about to enter the door to Luster Lighthouse though, he's interrupted by someone calling out to him. Turning to look, Alex sees that a man in a light-grey jumpsuit and yellow hard hat. The double L logo emblazoned across his chest indicates that he is likely a workman here. He's middle-aged and has a slumping posture, but still sounds extremely energetic, though quite gruff.

"Hey! You a trainer?"

What will you do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

As Alex looked up at the Luster Lighthouse, stray thoughts went through his head. First of all, why did they need to upgrade the old one? As far as he knew, it functioned fine after the disasters. What would making it bigger accomplish, especially with the decreased boat traffic? He guessed they were looking towards the future and with all the industrialization it may be worth it now. Though he has heard that the lighthouse was now inhabited with a bunch of Pokémon, it was rather barren before the disasters. To see if attracting a bunch of wild Pokémon was a good thing or bad thing was something that remained to be seen, but it was useful that he didn’t have to go far to catch a new member of his team.

As he was about to enter the lighthouse, his thoughts were interrupted by a gruff looking man that judging that he was wearing a hardhat and a work clothes with the emblem of the building, he worked here. The man asked if Alex was a trainer. Alex glanced at the Abra perched on his shoulder and then looked back at the worker with a smirk on his face. “Whatever gave yah that idea?” He chuckled and stuck out his hand. “I’m Alex, do yah need a hand with anything? Oh, and this here is Phi,” he added pointing his thumb at his partner.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:18 PM   #4
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Alex's sarcastic response earns a smirk out of the workman. It seems their relationship might prove itself easier than expected for someone as gruff as he looks. "Heh, the Abra backpack was a decent indication. Pretty realistic," he grins back at him, before gleefully taking the extended hand, and almost crushing the life out of it as he shakes. "Uh... Sorry bout that. It's nice to meet ya Alex. And you, Mr. Phi. The name's Saul; Saul Williams. Been workin' here for goin' on twenty years... But that's not important right now.

"See, we've got a bit of a problem at the minute," he says with a certain grimace. Alex notices that Saul seems uncomfortable with whatever he's about to ask. "Pokémon have been building nests in the Lighthouse lately. Starly, to be specific. And that's a problem; birds flyin' around everywhere, occasionally messin' with the equipment. They fly into power lines, and make nests in places they really, really shouldn't. I feel bad for askin', but we need someone to deal with them, if you catch my drift." His tone implies that he has a rather violent solution in mind... But could there be another way?

It seems Alex has a choice ahead of him. Will he assist Saul in clearing the Lighthouse of its infestation, or continue into the Lighthouse alone?

What will you do?
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 03-25-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

Alex winced at Saul’s handshake. Why was it always the other guy who crushes people hands? Still, he heard out the man’s problem. It seemed that the lighthouse had problems with Starly and this guy wanted Alex to get rid of them, though judging by his tone of voice, Saul was looking for a rather... permanent solution. Slightly put off, Alex tried to down play it. “Big guy like you having problems scaring off a few birds? Well I dunno what to tell yah-“

He was interrupted by a chime from his Pokegear. Taking it out of his pocket and glancing at it, he saw that there was a big news update pertaining to jobs for the gym leaders. While he was still in the middle of a conversation with Saul, the news here could be important. With an embarrassed “um, excuse me for a minute,” he backed away and read through the notice.

The news was very informative about the future of the region. There seemed to be all sorts of projects to help better the settlements of Kanjohto. However, one in particular fit his current situation. Scrolling up to a certain spot, he went back to Saul and showed him the screen. “Do you think this applies?”

Quote:
Olivine
Luster Lighthouse Liberation – Olivine’s famous Luster Lighthouse has come into its own over the past few years with the wave of building brought about by Oliver’s efforts to revive the city. However, all this modernization has brought about new problems. The amount of electrical charge generated by the Mareep herd powering the lighthouse has drawn a number of pesky magnetic Pokémon to the tower, who continue to interfere with day-to-day operations. Oliver is recruiting trainers to help clear out the lighthouse, offering rewards for those who do.
“Yeah I know better than anyone that Starly aren’t magnetic, but they’re still part of the Pokémon population here. And just think, without all the electric types here, Starly will flock to the lighthouse. So what do you think? Could you get a hold of someone from the gym and put me helping you with the Starly on the tab?” He felt uneasy as he was practically helping one person and trying to get two rewards, but it was worth a shot, right?

Last edited by gmoyes; 03-27-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:41 PM   #6
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Sorry for the wait. I totally have an excuse... It's just... BEHIND YOU! *flees*

Saul's eyes flash, feeling like Alex is taunting him. "Believe me, fella, there's more than a few of those guys in there..." He pauses, allowing Alex to check his Pokégear. Though it's more than a little rude. I mean, really, he's like that guy who checks his phone on a dinner date. I hate that guy, and so should you. In any case, Saul folds his arms, hiding his annoyance at this. However, when Alex returns to show him the message, his eyebrows rightly prick up.

"Huh. News to me. Didn't realise we were actually hiring people..." Alex is rightly confused, surely Saul is trying to hire him here. This is starting to look a little more sketchy, but Saul replies before he can speak up again. "I'll tell you what, you help me out with the birds, and I'll put in a good word for you at Olivine's Gym. You speak to them once you're done here and hopefully they'll help you out. Deal?" He smiles at Alex warmly and puts an arm around his shoulders as he goes to lead him inside the Lighthouse. As he opens the door though, three Starly burst out from inside, knocking you both flat on the ground.

"... Well, three down," mutters Saul, "Couple hundred to go. Follow me down to the basement... Unless you're having second thoughts."

What will Alex do?
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 04-05-2014, 07:00 PM   #7
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

Alex was somewhat unaware of himself breaking social conventions, but when he heard Saul’s reaction to the news, he was somewhat confused. Not hiring? Then what exactly was the worker trying to achieve here? But before he could respond, Saul pressed on saying he’ll send word to the gym about it afterwards. Then he smiled at the researcher and put an arm around his shoulder to shepherd him towards the door. Alex was somewhat stunned by a stranger acting so, well, affectionate he guessed the word for it was. While trying to process the action, they had reached the door to the lighthouse. Saul opened the door and a trio of the aforementioned Starly flew out. The worker mentioned that there were a couple hundred more where that came from and to follow him down to the basement and this was the last chance for him to back out. Not really knowing why not, Alex was about to take a step to blindly follow the man, but then a small voice piped up in his head.

...wait... ...think...

His Abra acted as his reason to make Alex realize that something here wasn’t right here. And that pause gave the researcher time to realize some of what that it was. He looked at Saul and pulled out his pokedex. “Here, let me just get some more info about these Starly” He scrolled through the ‘dex until he found the entry:

Quote:
Starly, the Starling Pokémon: Because they are weak individually, they form groups. However, they bicker if the group grows too big.
He figured that a couple hundred of these Starly would count as ‘too big’. And for that matter, why would all of these birds be in the basement? It would make more sense if it was a flock of Zubat, but why would they gather in the basement when they had several floors of lighthouse to inhabit? And how exactly would they all get in there? And how the heck was he and Phi supposed to get rid of all of them? There were too many things unknowns here. Saul must have some other motives here, but what were they? He had no clue what to do here, but knew that if worse came to worse, he could count on Phi. Maybe not to take on a couple hundred Starly by himself, but his skills could still be put to use.

He looked at his Pokémon. “Give me a heads up if something happens.” The Abra gave a nod and Alex turned to Saul. There was only one way he could think of to get to the bottom of this.

“Lead the away.”
Old 08-24-2014, 03:47 PM   #8
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Schadenfreude
Quest: Luster Lighthouse "Liberation"

I've talked to SoS about this quest. Finally, I have enough information to finish this off for you.

"Lead the way," you say.

Saul rubs his hands together. "Excellent! Follow me."

While Saul leads you into the dank basement, an uncomfortable feeling sinks into your stomach like an anchor. Should you really be here? Why this basement? Indeed, the basement does not meet your expectations. Instead of a flock of Starly, a roiling coil of wires spill out from every corner, lolling like a monstrous tongue. Metallic machines beep in symphony, as various levers spark with rivets of electricity. A cylindrical tankard connects to a series of pipes splaying out in capillaries to the multitudinous levels of the Lighthouse. While red buttons flash from a motherboard and panel, striped tape demarcates the furthest parts of the basement as some sort of safety zone. When you read the rusted sign above a large behemoth of a machine, the puzzles pieces assemble in your mind and click together. This room is the home of the Lighthouse's electricity generator, powering the lights and stations.

You examine a bright switch in the middle of the control panel. Emblazoned with the words "On/Off", the button would overload the main circuit and control the electricity in the premises. Something to note. And more intriguingly, Saul is eyeing the switch with an odd look of hunger, as though an insatiable appetite rumbles within his stomach. What is the man planning?

"Could you do me a quick favour before we begin?" Saul's voice breaks you out of your reverie. "Your Abra should be able to teleport to the floor above us. Could you please ask your Abra to check if there are any Starly up there? If I'm guessing correctly, there should be a whole flock of birds thronging up there."

Slightly suspicious, you ask why he wants Phi to Teleport away. After all, inquiring does not hurt. Especially when Saul's story is not quite matching up.

"Walking all the way up to the upper floors again would a hassle. Teleporting would save us a tonne of time," says Saul.

When you don't respond, Saul wrings his hands and shoots you an entreating expression. Sincerity permeates his face, trickling through the cheeks like water through a bedrock. Fervour fuels the man. Waving his hands, Saul continues talking.

"The Starly have infiltrated entire floors of the Luster Lighthouse, hindering activity and rebuild efforts," says Saul, passionately. "Those birds have ruined our operations. They are not considerate for our concerns, only caring about their own fickle needs. After all, they're pesky birds. If we don't remove them now, who knows what else they might do? The Lighthouse already has enough problems due to Durant infestations."

Feverish, Saul clasps your hands; his palms are sweaty and oily. Uncomfortable.

"My brother, the spoilt brat that he is, once owned a Staraptor himself. I know how aggressive and selfish that line can be. They take what they think is theirs without any recompense." Saul's voice tinges with a strange tone. "That is exactly what is happening now. These birds have taken root into the Lighthouse, which is now unable to guide ships. They aren't my – sorry, our – friends or allies."

Saul nods. "The Olivine Gym will reward you, I promise you. A Gym Recommendation. Oliver's greatest gratitude."

What do you do? How do you respond?
Schadenfreude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:53 PM   #9
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

As Alex descended on the heels of Saul, he felt as if his stomach had reached the basement before them. It just didn’t feel right. And when they reached the bottom, it didn’t look right either. There was plenty of electrical equipment and a large generator, but no Starly. Frowning, he gave the room another look. This was obviously the generator room for the lighthouse and with the controls and the cordoned off section in the back, it was clearly an ‘Authorized Personnel Only’ zone. So why were they down here?

Then Alex caught Saul staring at something. Following the workman’s gaze he saw a rather obvious on/off switch to the generator. While certainly not an expert on large electrical systems, he expected that a flip of one switch shouldn’t be the only thing it would take to shut down the entire tower. Something that size probably should take a couple of steps to shut it down safely. Though maybe it belonged to the original lighthouse so was a couple of decades out of date. But wasn’t the lighthouse lit by an Ampharos back in the day? Anyways it seemed too easy for someone to hit the switch accidentally. Or purposefully, he thought giving Saul a look.

Just then the man spoke up and asked the researcher to send Phi back up to start scaring the birds. Really confused now, Alex spoke. “Uh, send him upstairs? Weren’t we just there? Why have him teleport back?”

Saul’s following explanation didn’t help. Walking up floor by floor seemed to be a better plan than standing here in the basement and having Phi go up solo. Void, they could do that by simply standing outside the lighthouse. So what are they doing here?

Before Alex could point out the inconsistencies of the situation, Saul launched into a tirade about how the tower was really infested with Starly and it was impossible to do any work on top of a bunch of Durants causing problems. Alex thought the steel jawed and armoured insects would be more dangerous. They could also prey on the smaller birds.

Then the worker caught Alex by surprise by grabbing the researcher’s hands in his own sweaty ones and continuing his speech by telling him a personal story about the Starly line. He was sure that Staraptor could be like that, but these were the pre-evolutions and not every Pokémon were alike. But now there was some sort of personal motive here. Maybe planning some sort Starly genocide?

And then the man reminded Alex that he would be rewarded by the Olivine gym for helping clear the lighthouse out. The way it sounded now, it sounded more like a bribe than a reward. The man seemed determined to get Alex to do what he wanted, but he also seemed nervous as well. This entire thing seemed suspicious. He shook his hands out of Saul’s grasp and crossed his arms across his chest. He glared at the man. While he was sure that if the man tried to attack him that he would be overpowered, Phi was out and would be able to assist. Not knowing how to put it tactfully, he got straight to the point.

“You said that we were supposed to be chasing off a bunch of Starly. So why are we in the basement? I don’t see any of those birds. You’re just trying to separate me from my partner aren’t you. So tell me, what the Muk are you trying to do?!” While he said this, he gave a little nod to his Abra. While the little psychic type couldn’t directly read his thoughts, he could tell his trainer’s intentions.

…knock off?...

Alex gave another slight nod. If Saul tried to do something like pull out a weapon or pokeball, Phi would jump in to disarm him. Depending on the worker’s reaction, more orders may be needed.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:31 PM   #10
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Suspicion pools in your stomach, sending murmurs of precarious paranoia under your spine and raising the hairs on your neck. Something is not quite right. What is happening? Is this operation truly linked to the quest from the Olivine City Gym?

"You said that we were supposed to be chasing off a bunch of Starly. So why are we in the basement?" you ask. "I don’t see any of those birds. You’re just trying to separate me from my partner aren’t you. So tell me, what the Muk are you trying to do?!"

Alarmed, Saul thrusts out his hands in a surrendering sign. He shakes his head.

"No, no! You misunderstand me. The birds are nesting in the floors above. The reason why we're down here is simple," says the worker, wiping his brow.

Turning around, Saul dashes to a large keyboard wired next to a kaleidoscope of beeping buttons. A glimpse of the computer monitor, leering lurid lights as a singular eye, confirms your guesses that this station controls the power generator. When Saul strokes a large, red button, you wonder what his intentions are. Scrutinising the machine, you realise that Saul is touching the override switch. Activating that would overload the lighthouse with electricity. Under the flickering halogens, Saul's face gains a sallow tinge. Eager enthusiasm colours his expression, as he withdraws something from his pocket. Four gleaming Star Shards.

"Pressing this button will overload the circuit with electricity, which will scare away the Starly flocks on the upper floors," explains Saul, gesticulating. "Some of the birds might get fried, but this is the quickest way to clear the infestation. And don't worry: this is perfectly legal. I'm been authorised to do this. The Lighthouse has failsafe measures and will resume operations after a second."

He raises the Star Shards closer to your face. "I can make it worth your while. You don't have to send Abra upstairs to check if the Starly are still there. Just press the button, and we should be all good."

When you don't speak, Saul interprets your silence as a sign of approval and a cue to continue speaking.

"And if you need me, I'll be right over here, behind the safety zone," says Saul, as he walks over to an area of the basement demarcated in yellow tape. "All you need to do is press the button!"

Without another word, Saul dashes into the striped out square and shoots you a thumbs-up. Your hand hovers over the control board. On the one hand, pressing the button for four Star Shards and an even greater award at the Olivine Gym, including a chance to meet Oliver? That is a generous offer. And Saul's explanation does make sense: overloading the circuits with electricity would disturb the Starly that are presumably nesting near wires and whatnot. The quickest way of clearing the infestation. But on the other hand, what would the electricity actually do to these birds? Would it possibly kill them? And why doesn't Saul want to press the button himself? This procedure, despite Saul's claims, does not appear to be the legalest of the legal. Nevertheless, the reward for simply pressing a button seems tempting...

Old 09-24-2014, 10:38 AM   #11
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

(Pro tip: don't try to make a paladin fall, they tend to not like that ;) )

Alex frowned at the man. This just did not make sense. He suspected that whatever they needed to do down here would mean shocking the Starly, but Saul openly admitted that a few of those birds may be killed. And he said he had authorization to do. Authorization to do something that seems rather amoral? The last straw was the worker showing him the four star shards. An additional bribe and he was literally waving it under his nose. This stunk worse than a colony of Grimer, and Alex of all people would know what those smell like. Saul scurried off to the cordoned off area and game a thumbs up to the researcher. Eyeing the button, Alex wondered why Saul didn't want to press this himself. To frame Alex or maybe some electricity would come back to zap him. All he knew was that pressing that button would lead to nothing good.

He turned to the worker, temper flaring. "This is a load of Tauros crap! This doesn't seem right at all. You seem to be rather desperate for me to press this button. If this is so important, why don't you press it yourself? Tell me why I shouldn't just leave now? Or better yet," Alex paused to pull out his pokegear, "how about I call the police and you can explain the situation to them?" He glanced over to Phi who's hand was a slight dark glow to it ready to Knock Off anything Saul tried to pull. He gave a smirk to the man. "Or I could just knock you out here, take the Star Shards and be on my merry way. Your choice." He hoped the man would take the smart option and surrender. While he was confident that he could fight his way out of this, he hoped he didn't have to. Though it wouldn't be that good of an act to steal the star shards, to the victor goes the spoils right?
Old 10-06-2014, 07:02 AM   #12
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

"Or I could just knock you out here, take the Star Shards and be on my merry way. Your choice."

Saul starts sweating, as though he is steaming in a sauna. Your words seem to have elicited a certain reaction from him, when he starts chewing on his nails. You notice the receding hairline and the raw-rimmed red tint to his eyes, adding a manic edge to his expression. Indeed, Saul exudes desperation from his pores, seeping out like resin. Trembling, he pockets his Star Shards with shaking hands, and Saul backs away from you. Without any word, Saul blubbers and frantically looks beyond you, perhaps for an exit. He then bolts. Scampering away, Saul drops a Star Shard inadvertently, as he sprints out the door behind you. He runs away from you before you could react. Scrambling behind the corner, he stumbles up the stairs. You know that Saul's fleeing confirms your suspicions that he was planning to use you as a patsy for something illegal.

You pick up the Star Shard that he accidentally left behind. As you examine the gemstone, which catches the scintillating light, you are presented with two choices before you. You could either pursue Saul and try to bring him to justice, or you could pocket the Star Shard and call it a day. Is it worth it to keep involved in this quest?

Old 10-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #13
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

Alex watched as his intimidating accusation sent a bolt of terror through the man. Saul's eyes darted around the room like a Rattata caught in a trap. He shakily put the star shards back into his pocket and with unintelligible blubbering, the worker pushed past the researcher and dashed up the stairs. Surprised, Alex stumbled allowing Saul to escape. Recovering and looking around, his eyes fell on a shiny gem lying on ground. The researcher picked it up and identified it was a Star Shard, probably one of the ones Saul had. The man must have dropped it in his haste.

Stuffing the gem into his pocket, his gaze turned up towards the ceiling thinking about the fleeing man. If he didn't catch him, Saul may pull this stunt on someone else. The man's aura must have been flaring orange with panic making it easy for those that could read aura to track him. He looked over to his partner. "Phi, teleport and follow his aura. Keep out of sight and keep me updated on where he is. I'll be right behind you."

...right...

The Abra disappeared from sight homing in on the aura of Saul. Meanwhile Alex ran for the stairs and pulled out his pokegear. Dialing the number for the local police he ran up the stair with the device to his ear. With panting breaths, he explained what was happening to the dispatcher that picked up. "My name's Alex. I'm a trainer. There was a man by named Saul at Luster Lighthouse dressed up as a worker. I think he's trying to sabotage the tower. I confronted him and he fled. I'm following him now. Please send assistance."

Alex kept the pokegear to his ear ready to relay directions from Phi to the cops to hunt the man down. He didn't know if he had the stamina to keep up the chase, but with Phi and reinforcements coming, they had the chance.

Spoiler: show
+1 star shard

Last edited by gmoyes; 06-18-2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:04 AM   #14
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

"My name's Alex. I'm a trainer. There was a man by named Saul at Luster Lighthouse dressed up as a worker," you say into the Pokégear. "I think he's trying to sabotage the tower. I confronted him and he fled. I'm following him now. Please send assistance."

Static sounds on the other end, before a crisp cool voice replies back.

"Noted. Please provide your Trainer I.D. and your exact location. We will send assistance immediately."

After you give the required details to the receiver, you race up the stairs and pass the capillaries of wires which adorn the walls. You can hear the clunking of heavy footsteps ahead of you, indicating Saul's nearby presence. As you pursue the fleeing assailant, Phi sends you a telepathic message that Saul resides only a few feet away. Gritting your teeth, you urge yourself to run faster to catch the rogue. You turn the corner, and a sweaty man in a worker's orange vest appears before you, perspiring like a pig in an oven. He catches your flinty gaze, and Saul panics, knowing that he has committed various crimes. If captured, he could actual jail time. And he wishes to avoid that at all costs.

Sputtering, Saul throws out a Pokéball, which releases a jet of red light. The energies coalesce into a singular starfish, adorned with five points and a ruby gem in a certain. The golden sheen on the creature identifies the Pokémon as a Staryu.

"I-I refuse to be arrested, I can't. My brother would laugh at me..." says Saul, whimpering. "Staryu, fire a Water Gun at Alex!"

A jet of water spirals towards you. What happens next?

Old 10-16-2014, 09:52 AM   #15
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

Alex had to dig out his trainer card to respond to the dispatcher. "Trainer ID, three oh seven, four three oh, niner two one. We're still at the lighthouse, heading to the ground floor."

...just ahead...

Alex nodded to himself. Even if his partner wasn't able to currently see it, he was glad to have an update, even though the researcher could easily hear the man's foot steps ahead. Even with Saul's slight head start, he hadn't made it far. He guess that even though that he himself wasn't in that good of shape, the worker must have been worse. Or was tripping over things in his panic.

As Alex rounded a corner, he saw Saul stopped right in front of him. Judging by his look, he was about to make his final stand. The man sent out a Staryu. Alex quickly scanned his own thoughts about what he knew of the starfish pokemon. A water type, genderless, but still organic. Favours ranged attacks and spinning. Can be difficult to put down. Phi's Ice Punch wouldn't hurt it much and Knock Off and Hidden Power were rather neutral. Still, with Phi's greater maneuverability, they had an edge-

Then Saul shouted that he didn't want his brother to see him in jail and launched his attack. Right at Alex. Surprised and mind still dwelling on the Staryu, he didn't have time to dodge the jet of water. The researcher took the full brunt of the attack and stumbled back a few paces. It felt as if he were struck by the spray of a fire hose. In the midst of the attack, the pokegear managed to be knocked out of his hand.

After the jet of water had finished, Alex quickly wiped his glasses with his sleeve to get the remaining droplets off. He took a quick glance around to spot where the pokegear had landed. It was still close by, but rather than dwelling on it, he turned to look at his opponent. "Attacking a trainer huh?" the researcher said, voice risen slightly hoping that the pokegear microphone would pick it up. He knew the device was designed to handle the harsh conditions that trainers could go through so a little water shouldn't bother it. He just hoped that the fall didn't cause the call to drop. "Yet another crime. You're not going anywhere." He was aware of the hypocrisy of the fact that he threatened to do the same earlier, but that was besides the point now.

"Phi get in there! Knock Off! Follow with a Hidden Power!" The Abra materialized off to the side of the Staryu and charged with a hand coated in dark energy. Hopefully the starfish pokemon would be blinded. Though then again, can a Staryu be blindsided? It had no eyes. So would it be blindsided no matter what side it was attacked from? Bah, wasn't important. Alex hoped that the Hidden Power would put the worker off edge. He wouldn't know what type it would be. Still it was too bad the Hidden Power was ground type, not electric or grass. Maybe if he convinced the Abra to follow pure logic, it would turn the psychic type's tan aura to yellow. Obviously not right now, but it was food for thought.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:32 PM   #16
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

(Apologies for taking so long to reply)

Phi struck the side of the Staryu, the weak Dark type move enough to Knock the water type Off balance. It doesn’t take long for Staryu to compose itself, Phi’s attack making it mad, well at least you think it might be mad now cause it’s sort of hard to tell if something without a face has any form of emotion. It rushes forward, essentially doing fast cartwheels, and Tackles into Phi, throwing the psychic type backwards. Not wasting any effort, Phi retaliates with a Hidden Power, taking on a tan aura. A ball of energy, the same colour as Phi’s aura, formed in front of him and shot forward, hitting Staryu right in the middle of its gem. Taking a couple of steps back, the shaky motions of the starfish showing that maybe it’s gem was its weakness, Staryu fired a Water Gun out of its top most limb, the attack once again throwing back Phi.

You look over at your partner, the Abra showing some signs of wear and tear, but for the most part he is pretty good. Likewise, a glance at Staryu shows that it’s still ready and capable of fighting.
PikaGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:50 PM   #17
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

Alex grimaced slightly as both of the Staryu's attacks slammed into his partner. Phi wasn't meant to take many attacks and was still quite inexperienced in battling. If he didn't finish this quick, the water type would outlast him. Fortunately, Alex saw signs of weakness when the Abra's Hidden Power struck the Staryu's gem. Hopefully that would give them an edge.

"Stay back, stay evasive. Keep using Hidden Power, focus on hitting its gem." Alex said as he kept his eye on the opposing trainer. He didn't know if Saul would try to pull something underhanded. People would do anything when they were desperate. He hoped those cops would show up soon, the two Pokemon fighting it out was one thing. But if Saul tried to attack the researcher, Alex would have been greatly outmatched by the bigger man. He wasn't even completely confident that Phi would be able defeat the Staryu. If his partner lost, where would that leave him? They couldn't afford to lose.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:14 AM   #18
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

You give Phi his orders and the Abra gets ready to take action, while you worry about what Saul could do. Unlike last time, Staryu is able to get the upper hand on Phi, and attacks first. It shot out a Water Gun, the water attack slamming right into Phi's chest, launching him backwards. Before your partner is able to even react, Staryu shoots forward with a Rapid Spin, its spinning body throwing the psychic type backwards even more. Phi picks himself up, a little shaky on his feet and throws his hands out to his side, both of his hands glowing. He once again takes on the tan aura of his Hidden Power and in each of his hands an orb begins to form. Once they have grown to a sufficient size he throws his arms forward, the orbs firing off at Staryu targeting its gem. They both hit the gem square in its middle, exploding upon contact. Staryu stands completely still for several seconds... before its gem flickers and dims and it falls forward, unconscious. Phi gains one level.

Saul returns his Staryu, his face as wet and red as a Corphish. His left eye started twitching, he looked like a madman. He held out his four star shards and began to sputter.

"I...I'll give you these Star Shards," he said, his hand shaking. "If you just let me go, you can have these Shards and I won't come back here. Promise."

What will you do?
Old 06-18-2015, 08:04 PM   #19
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

Alex gritted his teeth as the Staryu's attacks slammed into Phi. The Abra must have been on its last legs. Fortunately his partner managed to get up the energy to gather another Hidden Power around himself and launch it at the water type. The energy slammed into the Staryu in a small explosion. However the starfish Pokemon still stood- at least for a moment before its gem dulled and it collapsed.

Alex released his breath, but then Saul spoke up again bargaining four star shards, this time offering them in exchange for letting him go. The trainer frowned for a moment remembering that the man had dropped one of them in his haste to leave the basement. He must of has a fifth one hidden somewhere. Still, the offer would be just as effective as last time. "The police are already en route. So unless you want to make a break for it past me and my Teleporting Abra, you're not going anywhere."

He retrieved his fallen Pokegear and quietly spoke to Phi. "You'd be up for that, right?"

...yes...

The researcher gave a slight nod. Teleporting might cost the Abra a bunch of energy, but it was certainly faster than going on foot. Maybe they could work on stamina the next time they were at a gym.

Phi grew from lv 5 to lv 6.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:59 AM   #20
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Saul broke down, bursting into tears and big heavy sobs after you reject his offer. There was nowhere he could go or nothing he could do, obviously Staryu was his only pokemon. He tries to say something to you, but it is near unintelligible underneath his sobs, the words ‘brother’ and ‘Staraptor’ the only ones that you can understand. Saul curls up into a ball, totally giving up and leaving you in an uncomfortable silence for what felt like eons. Eventually you could hear faint sirens, the police must have finally gotten here. The sound of feet hurryingly running down stairs filled the air and then the next thing you knew your vision was full of officers.

“I take it that this must be the man who tried to sabotage the lighthouse?” asked an officer, a young woman with aqua coloured hair, Saul’s clothing giving him away. “Well you’re lucky you were able to defeat him. We’ve been searching for this man for quite some time now; he’s tried several times to hijack or sabotage the lighthouse but he always disappeared before we could catch him. So thanks for the help.” She smiled.

You followed the officers out of the Lighthouse, the officer you as you exit. “I want to thank you again for helping catch Saul, and I should let you know that there was a bounty out on his head.” She walks over to her car, motioning for you to follow. The officer reaches into the front seat of the car and pulls out something.

“The bounty was 2 Star Shards and $200,” she says giving you your reward, “And we’ll put in a recommendation for you to the Gym.”

And with that the police left, taking a very unstable man with them. Your very first adventure was over, or so you thought. There’s a sudden cry behind you. Turning around you see a Starly sitting atop the Lighthouse entrance staring at you. It cries out again and swoops down, landing right in front of you, still staring.

What will you do?
Old 07-24-2015, 08:20 PM   #21
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

Alex could only watch as Saul completely broke down into tears. At least the poor man didn't have any fight left in him. The researcher was left to his own thoughts until the police arrived, wondering what would drive a man do such a thing. It was obviously tied into his brother and a Staraptor, but for the man to go this far? Alex could only shake his head.

When the officers approached, Alex spoke up to clarify some things. "Aye, you're welcome. Wasn't sure if my partner here could win, but once we took out his Staryu he gave up quickly." He looked over to Saul and gave a sigh. "I'm sure he tried to frame me for sabotage. You'd better get someone to check out downstairs to make sure stuff is still runnin' OK. He also ordered his Staryu to attack me with a Water Gun. Don't worry, I'm fine."

Following the cops out of the lighthouse, Alex smiled slightly when he received his award. "Thanks ma'am." While it was a little less than what Saul was offering, it was a probably a better deal than letting the man go. Also the gym recommendation was probably a better award, though he needed to get stronger and obtain more Pokemon.

As if reading his mind, he heard the cry of a Pokemon behind him. Turning, he saw a Starly roosting on top of the entrance to the lighthouse. The bird stared at Alex for a moment then gave another twitter and flew down by his feet and continued to look at him. A light smile came to the researcher's face. "Hello little Starly," he said softly, almost to himself. He gave a little chuckle. "I'll have you know, I probably just saved your life." He paused for a moment and then crouched down and pulled out a Cheri Berry. Gently holding the small red berry by its stem, he held it out toward the flying type. "You'd like this wouldn't you?"

+2 star shards, +$200, -1 Cheri berry

Old 07-24-2015, 09:13 PM   #22
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

The Starly looks at the Cheri Berry dangling down and slowly hops over to it. It prods it with its beak, making sure that it is an actually berry and not some cheap knock off imitation. After several prods it accepts that the berry is in fact quite real, and grabs it. This is off to a great start! It devours the berry quite quickly, throwing away the stem once the last of the juicy berry was gone. It looks back at you, its face currently stained red from the juices of the Cheri Berry.

Now that it had had its feast, the bird pokemon cries out again, this time the cry is harsher, almost like an attack cry. It takes what looks like a fighting stance, or at least the best a small bird could do to make itself look like it was taking a fighting stance. Looks like it wants to battle, the berry wasn't enough to win over its favour

Last edited by PikaGod; 07-29-2015 at 06:28 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:49 PM   #23
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

Alex grinned as the Starly ate the Cheri Berry with gusto. However, the bird then got into a stance that suggested that it wanted to challenge the trainer. "So you wanna fight, huh? How are feeling Phi? Are you recovered enough to battle?"

The Abra gave a small nod. ...yes...

"Alright then!" Taking a few paces back to give the combatants some room to manoeuvre, the researcher issued some commands to his partner. "Phi, get in there with a Knock Off! Follow it up with an Ice Punch!" He though about his current foe. The Starly had a slight mobility advantage over Phi as flying didn't take up as much energy. But it would have to come into melee to attack, where his Abra can hit it with a super-effective move. It would also be a valuable addition to his team. Its flight would give a bunch of utility that Phi's teleportation might lack. The Starly line was also know to be powerful fighters so that was always a plus. But he really shouldn't count his Pokemon before they're caught, so he focused on the fight.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:26 AM   #24
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Starly lets out a battle cry and takes to the sky, before flying a loop and charging towards Phi. Its Quick Attack lets it take the initiative, however Phi manages to move somewhat out of the way, Starly's left wing just managing to clip his side. Phi's jabbed his hand into Starly's back as it flew past him, the weak Dark attack throwing the bird off balance, making it slam into the ground.

Making use of the advantage his fallen foe has given him, Phi leaps forward to attack with an Ice Punch, his fist glowing with ice energy. Starly tries to block the attack with a Tackle but instead manages to tackle head on into Phi's icy hand. THUD! Head and hand collided, Starly thrown backwards and Phi's arm thrown backward, the psychic type crying out in pain. While nothing looked broken, he must have either sprained or jarred his hand.

What will you do?
Old 07-30-2015, 11:17 AM   #25
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

Alex watched as the two Pokemon traded blows. The first exchange was somewhat light, Phi avoiding the brunt of the Quick Attack and then knocking the Startly off balance making the bird fall to the ground. However as the Abra leaped forward with his Ice Punch, the starling Pokemon managed to ram its body into the fist. The bird was flung backwards while Phi cried in pain and held his arm.

...hand... ...hurts...

The researcher nodded grimly. The psychic type's thin arms weren't meant to be throwing hefty punches, even colliding head on with a 5 pound bird would cause some damage. They will have to work out a new strategy for that. But then again with his hand injured and Hidden Power ineffective, Phi didn't have a lot of options. Might as well give it a shot. "Phi, can you still use the icy part of Ice Punch? If so, focus more on the elemental energy and less the punch. Just try to touch the Starly to put the ice energy into it. Teleport to surprise it and try to connect with an ice... Ice Touch." Alex didn't know if the Abra could pull it off, but they had try.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Wild Future > Johto > Olivewood Ocean