UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Wild Future > Kanto > Metro Cerulean

Old 03-18-2014, 09:20 PM   #1
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Empoleon Enter: Simon Thorne

As the ocean spray spattered Simon's face, he blinked instinctively. The boat would be docking momentarily, dropping off him along with a few adventurers from the Sinnoh region. It had been a very long trip from Pastoria to Cerulean, but the prodigal son was finally about to begin his nomadic journey across Kanjohto. A foghorn sounded to let the passengers know the docking process was beginning. Simon brought his rucksack to his shoulders again and prepared to disembark into a strange new region. Thank God. Dry land again. Sailing was something he just wasn't used to yet, and he'd experienced minor nausea throughout his trip. But he had to stand out on deck for the end, because, well, that was just what they did in books.

The air in Misty Plaza was still, but there was still a natural hubbub of activity. Not as active as Veilstone, but regardless, still daunting for the proverbial fish out of water. Simon set about trying to familiarise himself with a town that would likely become his base of operations for the next few days. "Now let's see," he muttered to himself, "That Pokémon Centre must be around here somewhere..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:47 AM   #2
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Schadenfreude
As you walk around and try to find your way, a young schoolgirl collides into you. Both of you fall over, eliciting a few choice cursewords from you. The girl's satchel falls downward, sending all manner of textbooks and stationary flying. Muttering, you pick yourself up and help the girl to her feet. You take a good look at her. She is striking: freckles dash across nose, and her long lashes accentuate the azure of her eyes. When she flips back one of her blonde pigtails, her pale collarbone is revealed like the mother-of-pearl sheen. She pats down her pleated skirt. After she flicks dirt off her blouse, she addresses you.

"Do you mind where you're walking? You could've hurt somebody," she snaps.

You bristle, throwing out your previous thought that she seems attractive.

"Honestly, some people are complete morons," she says witheringly. "It's as if you're functionally retarded or something. Watch where you're going next time, okay? Dunderhead."

Although you're quite generous usually, the constant barbs reach an insufferable crescendo, prompting your mouth to sound the words before you can restrain yourself.

"Hey, you're the one who barrelled into me. Not the other way around," you say in anger. "Get your facts straight before you accuse somebody."

"Oh, so you do have a mind of your own? What a shocker."

You twitch. "What's your problem?"

"My problem? Hah!" says the girl, sneering as she withdraws a PokeBall. "How about this for a deal? We can either have a Pokemon battle to settle this score, or you can run away like a little pussy."

The girl smirks. "Are you man enough to fight a girl?"

What do you do?
Schadenfreude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:07 AM   #3
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Unfortunately for Simon, he failed to pay much attention to his surroundings as he tried to get his bearings in the busy plaza. Out of the crowds, rather inevitably, came a young woman, and as Simon looked up like a tourist lost in Castelia, she rammed straight into his chest, knocking him flat on his arse. He swore under his breath from the shock, but immediately caught himself. Whether it was his fault or not, he felt somewhat responsible, and quickly helped the pretty girl to her feet, apologising profusely as he did so. Understandably, she wasn't exactly pleased.

"Do you mind where you're walking? You could've hurt somebody! Honestly, some people are complete morons. It's as if you're functionally retarded or something. Watch where you're going next time, okay? Dunderhead." Simon bit his tongue throughout most of her tirade, but, not recovered from in nausea, he wasn't really in the mood to be yelled at by a stranger who was at least equally culpable as he was.

"Hey, you're the one who barrelled into me. Not the other way around," he snapped, "Get your facts straight before you accuse somebody."

"Oh, so you do have a mind of your own? What a shocker."

"What's your problem?" He briefly wondered if it was her time of the month.

"My problem? Hah!" She drew a Pokéball from her pocket, ready for action. "How about this for a deal? We can either have a Pokemon battle to settle this score, or you can run away like a little pussy. Are you man enough to fight a girl?" Maybe it wasn't her time of the month and she was just enormously cocky. A fun type of person to deal with.

"Well, I fail to see how that actually solves anything... But, if it's a fight you want, it's a fight you'll get." Simon reached into his pocket, taking out a small red-and-white orb. Pressing the button in the centre to enlarge it, he thought about how exactly he was going to win this fight: by slapping the other Pokémon until either it fainted or Piplup did. "Piplup, standby!" he called, throwing the ball in the air. It opened as he did so, and in a flash of light, the small, blue penguin Pokémon appeared.

Piplup had been a parting gift from his parents "for protection". While he somewhat resented the fact that he came from them due to wanting to strike out on his own, he couldn't deny that Piplup was an excellent Pokémon, and would serve him well on his quest. And catching Pokémon when you have none of your own is difficult enough as is. His train of thought was interrupted by another little train, as he realised he had no idea who he was up against.

"Oh. Introductions. I'm Simon, by the way. Simon Thorne."
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 03-19-2014, 07:20 AM   #4
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

"Are you man enough to fight a girl?"

You sigh. There is no appeasing this one. Either do or die.

"Well, I fail to see how that actually solves anything..." you say. "But, if it's a fight you want, it's a fight you'll get."

When you toss a PokeBall into the air, a red jet of light coalesces into a sprightly, young Piplup who bounces around. The penguin looks at you, eager to fight and prove that battles can be won. You smile at the girl, whose expression is imperturbable. Although you cannot read that blank slate, you're sure that she's at least partially worried about this upcoming battle. A bubble of smug glee warms your stomach like a blanket.

"Oh. Introductions. I'm Simon, by the way. Simon Thorne."

The girl continues to adorn an utterly indecipherable countenance. She does not say anything. When you feel the need to say something else, however, that's when she starts laughing. Clutching her stomach, the girl giggles and pounds her fist on the pavement. Bystanders look at her as though she has sprouted another head. You grit your teeth; you have no idea why and what she finds so hysterical.

Wiping tears off her face, the girl steadies her laugh enough to finally speak.

"You brought a Piplup? Jeez, you're a beginning Trainer, aren't you? Oh, Arceus Almighty, you want to fight me with a penguin." She guffaws. "This is so rich. Holy cripes, this is amusing!"

You scowl and step forward.

"What do you think is so funny?" you snap.

"You asked me who I am? My name's Katie," says the girl, as she opens her Pokeball. "And this is my Pokemon."

With a click of her Pokeball, an enormous behemoth emerges. Grey hide and a peaked horn materialise, as a long tail curves out as a spike. Your eyes widen when all four legs form, and the creature bellows. The beast stomps on the ground, with clear aggression evinced in his eyes. You don't need to check your PokeDex to identify the creature.

"Rhydon," you mutter in shock.

"So," says Katie in a smug voice. "What do you want to do? Do you want to honour your challenge of me and fight my Pokemon? Or will you break your promise and go back home to Mummy?"

Your two choices are evident: stick to the challenge or break the promise. What do you do?

Old 03-19-2014, 08:01 AM   #5
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Piplup was clearly ready to battle no matter what, as was typical of his nature as Simon was learning, but the girl's blank face was impossible to read. Simon felt a sense of unease at the same time as a burst of confidence and faith in his tiny penguin Pokémon. Unease drowned out confidence, however, as she burst into a hysterical fit of laughter, attracting the attention of a crowd of passersby, who were about as bemused as he was.

He knew one thing though: this couldn't be good for him whatsoever.

"You brought a Piplup? Jeez, you're a beginning Trainer, aren't you? Oh, Arceus Almighty, you want to fight me with a penguin. This is so rich. Holy cripes, this is amusing!" She was really starting to irritate him at this point. She was beyond arrogant. What exactly was the problem with being a beginning trainer? Everyone had to start somewhere, no matter how experienced they were now.

"What do you think is so funny?" He wasn't putting up with any more of her crap if he could avoid it.

"You asked me who I am? My name's Katie, and this is my Pokémon." She opened the ball she'd drawn, revealing a terrifying behemoth of a rhinoceros.

"Rhydon." Well, this seemed like a fair fight. Yes, Piplup had the type advantage, but he also lacked Water-type attacks. True, Simon had an Icy Wind TM in his rucksack, but somehow he felt like teaching a TM before a fight like this would be poor conduct.

... Not that this was great conduct anyway.

"So," Katie continued, her smug tone starting to grate, "What do you want to do? Do you want to honour your challenge of me and fight my Pokémon? Or will you break your promise and go back home to Mummy?"

Simon paused. If he fought this Rhydon, Piplup was probably going to get very, very hurt. He hadn't worked out where exactly the Pokémon Centre was either. How could they possibly win against that thing? But people were staring now. Backing down was seeming like less of an option, but neither was fighting. Only one thing he could do.

"It's up to you, Piplup. If you want to fight, we'll fight." The penguin Pokémon, though intimidated, was still bouncing around, still eager. Still wanting to prove his worth, that battles could be won. Piplup was standing his ground. Simon bit his lip. He wasn't totally ok with this. But Piplup had made the choice for him. "Let's do this."
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 03-19-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Trainer Battle! Piplup Vs. Rhydon

"It's up to you, Piplup. If you want to fight, we'll fight," you say.

When Piplup nods, you feel a lump of determination grow in your chest. It grows louder and louder, like a battle cry. You clench your fists and stare back at Katie, who watches you with an indolent arrogance.

"Let's do this," you say.

Surprised, Katie cocks an eyebrow. Her pretty face morphs into an expression of mild disbelief. Interested, she taps a single finger against her lips. How interesting... Despite the odds, these two wish to fight. Piplup and Simon both wish to please each other? They want to let each other down? How curious, Katie thinks. She glances at Rhydon, who imperceptibly understands her intentions.

"If you want to play ball, we'll play ball," says Katie, smiling. "Rhydon, Bulldoze."

Roaring, Rhydon stomps on the ground repeatedly, sending out multiple small shockwaves. The nearby onlookers look scandalised at this profane display. A park bench trembles in the aftershocks, as Piplup gasps and falls backwards. The majority of the small tremors reverberate the penguin, streaking across the pavement like lightning as they slam into Piplup. You bite your lip at this sight. Even one small attack seems to have nearly destroyed Piplup. Bruises and lacerations begin to appear all over the penguin. A dribble of blood comes out Piplup's beak.

"Piplup!" you cry, horrified at this sight.

"Do you want to end this battle now?" asks Katie, wearing a vainglorious expression.

When you remain unresponsive, Katie walks towards you and hunches down next to Piplup. Her azure eyes flash with an unknowable emotion, as she talks quietly.

"How about a deal? You can walk away right now, and I promise not to hurt your Piplup anymore," Katie whispers. "Concede the fight and it will be all over. Who cares about what your Pokemon wants, right?"

You glance at Piplup, who struggles to breathe. Your choice presents itself again: you could honour Piplup's wishes to fight or capitulate for the sake of getting urgent medical attention. What do you choose?

Old 03-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #7
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

This already felt like a gigantic mistake. "If you want to play ball, we'll play ball. Rhydon, Bulldoze." Simon grit his teeth as the shockwaves spread throughout the ground, striking his starter and almost knocking him out with a single hit. Victory had never seemed so impossible. Piplup was bleeding heavily, and Simon couldn't help himself from crying out in sympathy for the poor penguin.

"Do you want to end this battle now?" Katie, still ridiculously smug, had practically declared victory already. Simon refused to give her the satisfaction of answer, still slightly frozen at the sight of his tenderised Piplup. She stepped towards the trainer, but stopped beside Piplup, hunching down towards him. "How about a deal? You can walk away right now, and I promise not to hurt your Piplup anymore," she whispered. "Concede the fight and it will be all over. Who cares about what your Pokémon wants, right?"

Piplup was struggling to breathe, let alone fight. Continuing would be extremely foolhardy, and could allow Simon to end up with a dead penguin. Still, something just felt... off here. Something about Katie was distinctly fishy, and he wasn't talking about the smell from the port or the potential time of the month she was experiencing. But what exactly could he do? He looked to Piplup. Again, he had to ask what he wanted.

"I care. I care about what my Pokémon wants, and how dare you imply that I shouldn't. Fighting your Rhydon... It's a mistake. A huge mistake. Can we beat an opponent that strong when we're so weak? Almost certainly not, short of divine intervention. But if Piplup decides he wants to fight and show you what he's made of, then as his trainer, I will respect that, believe in him and fight to the bitter end." Simon knelt down to Piplup now. "It's up to you. I won't judge you if you want to back off. I don't want you to get hurt. But the decision is yours. I trust you, lil partner."

Piplup nodded, though he was panting. Using his flipper, he wiped a smear of blood from his beak. He still wanted to fight. Whether he could was another matter, but the penguin was out to prove himself no matter what. He felt invigorated by his trainer's faith, and took a step forward, ready for more punishment. Simon rose to his feet again. "I see he's made his choice. It's out of my hands now, Katie."
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 03-19-2014, 03:39 PM   #8
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Quest: The Accident with the Schoolgirl - COMPLETE

"Concede the fight and it will be all over. Who cares about what your Pokémon wants, right?"

"I care," you retort. "I care about what my Pokémon wants, and how dare you imply that I shouldn't."

When Katie doesn't reply, you continue your speech: "Fighting your Rhydon? It was a mistake. A huge mistake. Can we beat an opponent that strong when we're so weak? Almost certainly not, short of divine intervention."

Your eyes burnish with determination. "But if Piplup decides he wants to fight and show you what he's made of, then as his trainer, I will respect that, believe in him and fight to the bitter end."

"Is that so?" asks Katie in a flat tone.

You nod. "It's out of my hands now, Katie. Piplup wants to fight, and I will always stick by the people who need me."

Katie's voice sounds like a death knell. "Then live and die by your sword. Rhydon, you know what to do." She gives a bitter smile. "Horn Drill, my friend."

Instantly, the behemoth gives spinning his horn and rampages towards Piplup. The penguin, too injured to move, simply closes his eyes as though to accept the gruesome fate. Your heart drops into your chest, like an anvil. You cannot let this happen. Piplup is more than your partner... He's your friend, your buddy, your family. As Rhydon approaches Piplup, your feet start to move before your thoughts can register. It is an easy decision for you, almost effortless. Without thought, you leap in front of Rhydon, protecting Piplup with your body. The horn careens towards you...

...And then stops. Rhydon stops and steps back. Shocked, you look at Katie, who begins clapping her hands. Her face is bright with admiration and flushed with some sort of emotion. She sashays towards you with accentuated hips and a purpose with every step. Gently, Katie takes a pink cannister out of her satchel. When she passes it into your hands, you realise that it's a Hyper Potion, rare and expensive.

"To show such devotion to your Pokemon, that's a true mark of a Trainer," says Katie softly. "Always trusting your Pokemon, and willing to sacrifice yourself for them? That's true loyalty."

You spray the Hyper Potion onto Piplup, who gasps as the minor wounds and bruises stitch up with a miracle verve. Relief pools in your stomach, relaxing your arms and legs. Without hesitation, you hug your Piplup.

"You also didn't break your word. You could've backed down, but you didn't. That's a sign of a man," says Katie.

After a smile, she leans towards you and kisses you on the cheek. You are shocked and surprised, especially at your own enjoyment at this sensation. When Katie pulls away, she winks at him.

"Of course, I was bluffing about Rhydon. I wasn't actually going to steamroll you," Katie says, casually. "Who do you think I am? A sadist?"

Before you could answer her, Katie waves her hand and reaches into her satchel again. She pulls out three glistening Shards and places them in your hand, along with a phone number written on a napkin.

"Call me if you're free, okay?" Katie sounds whimsical.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:31 PM   #9
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Simon braced himself for the sound of a horrific squelch, as Piplup had his flippers ready to strike with Double Hit, not that he could really move. The Horn Drill was coming in though, and with certain death on the cards for the penguin, Simon's body moved automatically, stepping into the line of fire before he could actually think through what he was doing. Certain death for him instead then.

But it never came. Rhydon had stopped. Decided murder was a step too far? No, Katie had called the beast off. She was impressed with Simon's dedication, though he hadn't honestly done too much consciously... Nothing all that special really... But he said nothing as she sprayed the Hyper Potion liberally onto the wounded Piplup, whose wounds were healed instantaneously. Rather than question the biochemistry at play there, he picked up the tiny penguin for a hug and thanked Katie for her medicine.

"You also didn't break your word. You could've backed down, but you didn't. That's a sign of a man." Simon was a little less sure of that, but if nothing else, it was a step closer to figuring out who he was as a person. Someone true to their word. Not a bad way to be. But he'd managed to impress the girl, somehow. And he was not going to complain about that one bit, especially as she pecked him. Her character had almost done a complete 180 from the arrogant girl beforehand. ... Maybe it WAS her time of the month and she was really hormonal?

"Of course, I was bluffing about Rhydon. I wasn't actually going to steamroll you," she continued. "Who do you think I am? A sadist?" she asked, handing him three Star Shards, presumably out of respect and apology, and a napkin. Did Simon have something on his face? Lipstick?

"Well, you're an excellent actress at least."

"Call me if you're free, okay?"

... So, Simon had been in Cerulean about ten minutes and had managed to get a girl's phone number, get his Piplup almost killed, as well as himself, and a few shards. He had no idea what was even happening at the moment, but rolled with it. "I do need someone to show me around the city," he said playfully, smiling. "Maybe you could give me a tour tonight or something." With that, they said their farewells, and Simon resolved to call her tonight once he'd settled into where he was staying.

In the meantime though, his next stop would be the Gym, wherever that might be.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 03-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #10
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

"Maybe you could give me a tour tonight or something," you say to Katie, who winks back a response.

After you exchange goodbyes, you walk towards the Gym. You pass by a variety of tourists and townspeople. They all wear happy expressions when they share stories of gossip and daily minutiae with one another. Tranquility wafts throughout the Misty Plaza. However, not all is golden. In the distance, you see a Cafe. Tidy and adorned with chequered tablecloths and bistro-style tables, the Cafe bears the words 'La Pucelle' on a wooden sign. This very sign has been knocked over, though, and is strewn alongside a series of shattered dishes.

The sight is almost comical: a group of waiters and diners huddle on the right, trembling away from a pink cat. The kitten meows and moves closer to one of the diners who shouts as though he's one fire.

"D-Don't come any closer," says the diner, waving a rolled newspaper. "We're armed, you stupid Skitty."

Purring, Skitty winks.

How do you respond? You could head towards the Gym, but this Wild Skitty seems to be causing havoc at a Misty Plaza Cafe. Choices and choices.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #11
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Simon couldn't help but grin as he walked away from Katie, naturally. Partly from the bizarre nature of the whole situation, partly from the fact that, well, a pretty girl's number in the hand is worth two in the... bush? Oh.

That was the idiom, right? He felt like it had gotten away from him, but couldn't be sure. He'd look it up later.

Regardless, time to move on. He had a gym to get to, a Pokémon Centre to find, and perhaps an adventure or two to have. If he was lucky. Still, it felt great to be in the hustle and bustle of the city. The small crowd that had gathered around his "battle" with Katie has dissipated, thankfully, allowing Simon to really take in the scenery. The Cerulean tourism industry was really starting to recover and get back to the levels it had been at before the Disaster, and the city was booming as a result. Despite this, it still felt oddly peaceful... for the most part.

As Simon happened upon a café, La Pucelle, he heard a commotion coming from inside. The café's sign had been knocked over, and there were broken dishes around it. Perhaps someone was holding it up? Or a wild Pokémon had gotten inside. But what fearsome, and deadly manner of creature could have done such a thing?

A Skitty. Obviously.

As Simon peeked inside the café, the scene that struck him belonged in a Saturday morning cartoon. A small, pink cat, holding a group of patrons and waiters at... clawpoint, he guessed. Unless they all had truly atrocious allergies, there was almost no threat here. Not that the diners had taken it that way.

"D-Don't come any closer! We're armed, you stupid Skitty," said one, brandishing his weapon of choice - a rolled-up newspaper. Oh my God, this town is just WEIRD, thought Simon. But hey, these people clearly "needed" help. Possibly psychiatric help if they were this terrified of a kittycat, but that was beside the point. He stepped across the threshold confidently, putting his fists to his hips in a heroic pose. Because he was going to enjoy this, dammit.

"Have no fear, citizens! Help is at hand!" Thorneman threw his Pokéball into the air, calling Piplup to his aid. Time to battle this Skitty. Shouldn't be a problem...
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 03-29-2014, 11:43 AM   #12
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Quest: Crazy Café Cats

"Have no fear, citizens! Help is at hand!"

You throw out a Pokéball, releasing Piplup in a jet of red light. Immediately, your partner assumes a defensive stance with the intent of imminent battle. You note to yourself that the situation seems rather absurd. A pink cat terrorising a motley group of adult diners? How preposterous, almost like a situation out of a comic strip from the Sunday paper. And a small pushover like Skitty would surely prove to be a cakewalk. Piplup should find this battle to be a cinch, and the capture will be swift. Anticipating your own thoughts, Piplup gives a wary stare at Skitty.

Slowly, Skitty turns around and meows at you. She blow you a raspberry. Frankly, the display is more comical than intimidating. If Skitty thinks that she can put up a fight, you have another thing coming.

One of the diners notices your stance and trembles.

"Don't annoy the cat. She's dangerous! I'm telling you, you're playing with fire by trying to battle her straight-up," warns the diner.

Almost on cue, Skitty meows again. This time, a scuffle of plates can be heard. Purrs echo in a foreboding synchronicity when the pitter-patter of paws encroaches as a foul harbingers. Your eyes widen. Not one, not two, but four other Skitty emerge from under the tablecloths. These other cats congregate around the original Skitty, who assumes the stance of the ringleader. The leader smirks, and you could almost swear that a look of trolling flashes across the cat's face.

The original, ringleader Skitty purrs and extends a paw. Instantly, the four other cats hiss and approach you. Piplup stiffens. As the waiters cower, the diner from earlier smacks you on the arm. He wears alarm on his face, although it is now transitioning into abject horror.

"Now look what you've done. You've doomed all of us," groans the man, smacking himself in the forehead.

Glaring, a nearby waitress nods. A glance at her silver name-tag confirms that her name is 'Christy'.

Christy snarls at you: "If the Skitty want our heads, I'm offering yours first. On a silver platter."

"Relax, the cats aren't actually going to kill us," says a pregnant woman huddled under a table.

"How can you be sure? Those little monsters can be vicious," Christy mutters darkly. "Holy crows, I can't die here: I have a hairdresser's appointment on Saturday, and the cancellation fee is $100."

Rolling her eyes, the leader Skitty meows a brisk command at the other Skitty. After responding with an affirmative purr, the cats pounce on the diner with the diner with the newspaper. The man squeaks, like a Rattata in a mousetrap. The leader Skitty leaps onto a wicker chair and lounges, as though she is an empress and the restaurant is her domain. She smirks and gestures her minions to bring the man closer towards her. Your eyes nearly pop of your head when the henchmen Skitty drag the screaming man into the kitchen.

Yawning, the queen-bee Skitty hops off the chair and saunters towards the kitchen. She winks at you, before closing the kitchen door with her tail. Her expression is taunting, as if she challenges you to a contest of wits. The man's screams continue to reverberate.

Irate, Christy smacks you on the arm.

"Do something! You're the one who aggravated the leader by sending out Piplup. Without your interfering, those Skitty wouldn't have taken David hostage!" snaps Christy.

The pregnant woman agrees. "Christy is right. The last one to enter the kitchen is the queen bee. The other ones are just her workers." She looks up at you. "What are you going to do? Please help us already?"

You could almost gape at the comical absurdity of the situation. Nevertheless, how do you respond?

Old 03-31-2014, 07:24 AM   #13
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

(I swear this quest title is from a Professor Layton puzzle).

---

Simon was becoming increasingly confused by the sheer ridiculousness of this nonsensical situation. Apparently trying to battle the "threat" was a poor idea. Clearly. As four other Skitty emerged, Piplup began to feel the fear as well. Ok... Outnumbered, but definitely not outgunned... Right? Right?

Simon was finding himself on the receiving end of the diners' anger, having now apparently doomed them all to a terrible fate of death by cuteness. A waitress even threatened to decapitate him as an appeasement. It took a surprising amount of restraint for him to not just yell "THEY ARE ADORABLE KITTENS!" Surely the worst they could do would be to bring someone out in hives... He ran a hand through his hair. It seemed Piplup was going to be useless here. With that in mind, he pointed his Pokéball at the penguin. "Return, Piplup. Another time." The ball fired a red laser at the penguin, pulling it back in to fight another day. As he placed the ball back into his pocket though, the situation's insanity jumped from 7 to 11.

Simon could only watch in confusion as the Skitty gang pounced on a man and, kicking and screaming, dragged him into the kitchen... Somehow. Things had strong teeth he guessed. At this point, things had graduated from Saturday morning cartoon to South Snowpoint. The leader Skitty, the original, winked at him before exiting into the kitchen behind her minions.

And of course, Simon got the blame. Yes, this was completely his fault for sending out Piplup. Not the Skitties' for actually kidnapping the guy, that would be ludicrous. Still, he was asked to help, and help he would. Sighing a little, he put his hands up in submission and entered the kitchen.

"I come in peace, Skitty. I apologise for antagonising you," he said humbly. This was more than a little humiliating. "I have come to negotiate the return of David." An idea struck him, as he eyed the kitchen's fridge. "... Anybody thirsty? I'm sure there's some milk in there I could pour for you? I'm sure you adorable kittens could do with a drink."
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 04-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #14
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

"... Anybody thirsty?" you ask the cats. "I'm sure there's some milk in there I could pour for you? I'm sure you adorable kittens could do with a drink."

The leader of the Skitty Posse raises at eyebrow at you. Indulgent, she waves a paw at you, almost beckoning you to approach. As you follow the cue and step closer, you notice the array of broken dishes and clutter of unwashed pots strewn across the ketchup-stained kitchen tiles. Indeed, the maniacal kittens have wrecked their share of chaos. The sheer fact that the building is somehow intact astounds you. When you tiptoe around the culinary debris, the other Skitty, minions of the Queen Bee, congregate around a quavering man. From the man's ashen face and ripped tie, you could guess that this person is the hostage diner. David, his name according to Christy the Waitress.

Meowing, the Queen Bee gestures at the refrigerator with a lazy but contemptuous look. She almost appears bored, in fact. If you don't impress her, she may easily flit to another interest. And that could be potentially perilous. Apprehensive, you tread towards the fridge and open the door, searching for a carton of milk. You find some surely enough; any self-respecting kitchen would have dairy, after all. Relief pools in your stomach, when you pluck a bowl from one of the untouched cabinets and pour the milk. Interested, a few of the Skitty saunter away from the captive David and crawl towards you.

As you pick up the bowl, you notice that all the Skitty are looking at you with a degree of thirst, with the exception of the Queen Bee. Indeed, the leader seems more apathetic than anything, examining her nails with detached arrogance. You know that you could, technically, have enough milk for around half the cats in the room. But is that the wisest choice?

What do you do? How do you respond?

Old 04-04-2014, 04:52 PM   #15
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Five kittens were all it took to hold a café to complete ransom. Was it any wonder that Cerulean was undergoing a crime problem at the minute? These Skitty were a highly organised unit however, so perhaps it wasn't too far-fetched that they'd done this... No, it was still ludicrous. The good news was that David was unharmed, so all Simon had to do was get him out safely and win the trust of the Skitty. Then he'd be sorted... Right? In any case, the Skitty's leader, their Queen Bee gestured to the fridge in response to his offer of a drink. Fortunately, the kitchen had a fresh supply of milk, or he'd have been in deep trouble.

"Ah the joys of opposable thumbs," he muttered as he poured the milk into a small bowl. It seemed like he might just have this in the bag. Now however, the other kittens crowded around him, all ready for a drink. At least they'd left David alone, maybe he'd calm down a bit. Only the Queen Bee seemed uninterested in having a drink, and Simon wondered what he should do. He needed to gain her trust after all, but would she even take it? And then ignoring the other kittens in favour of her could have... dire consequences. They could... They could... scratch him! Or bite him with their tiny teeth!

... Ok, maybe he wasn't giving this situation enough gravity, but they were tiny pink kittens. Simon figured his best move was to go and please Regina over there, and so, he approached the Queen Bee, carrying the bowl of milk. He bowed his head as a sign of respect and placed it at her feet. "Drink up, my Queen."

... God, this was humiliating. Either way, he took a step back and waited for the Queen's reaction. Maybe she'd let him pet her if she liked it enough. That would be a start to freeing David...
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 04-08-2014, 03:39 AM   #16
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

"Drink up, my Queen," you say to Skitty.

Faintly bored, the Queen Bee surveyed the saucer of milk placed before her. For a moment, you wonder whether she would actually drink the offering. However, your hopes are dashed when she waves a paw with aloof ennui. Her rejection clangs, as the minions meow and leap at the bowl, lapping up the milk with gusto. While they purr, the Queen Bee gazes at you. She harrumphs. Her lack of interest in you becomes evident. Indeed, you have not impressed her with your guile, hampering your progress at freeing David. Your inability to read the situation soured you to her, in fact. As she yawns, Skitty saunters towards David, who freezes in fright. What is she planning to do?

Skitty leans into the petrified diner, wagging her giant tail in his face in a taunting fashion. As David trembles, Queen Bee beckons to her minions. Instantly, the other four kittens hurdle away from the saucer and around David. Their protective circle seems almost impenetrable. Perhaps something else in your bag would be able to impress her. To a narcissistic creature like that Skitty, winning over her social graces is the only way forward. Another gaffe like the one with the milk could cost you dearly.

What do you do? How do you respond?

Old 04-08-2014, 03:06 PM   #17
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Well, that just hadn't worked at all. At least her henchcats were having a good time, lapping up the milk gleefully. That was probably a bonus. Still, this was a problem, and one he needed to deal with cleverly. As the Skitties finished their drink and circled round their hapless victim, who was a bigger pussy than the cats, Simon took his backpack off his shoulders and lowered it to the floor. He intended to present a new offering to the Queen Bee, though the question was what. His inventory was... somewhat limited. If she wasn't thirsty though, maybe she was hungry? Yeah, that could work. He dug around in his Berry Pouch, and extracted a Rawst Berry. But what if that didn't work? He felt his pocket, noticing the small lump that hadn't been there before - the Star Shards from Katie! Maybe the Queen Bee had Murkrow-tendencies? He'd offer the Rawst Berry first, and if that didn't work, one of the Star Shards. Surely this would resolve things.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 04-09-2014, 11:16 PM   #18
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Quest: Crazy Café Cats - Capture Battle

Carefully, you lay down a Rawst and an iridescent Star Shard in front of the Skitty. You cannot ascertain Skitty's potential reaction, but you are willing to take the risk. Wearing a supine expression, Skitty slides the green berry towards her. She takes a small bite. Instantly, her face envelops with surprised satisfaction. As she nibbles on the fruit, the other Skitty purr and wag their tails, waiting for their leader's orders. They can pounce with a single word. That word never comes, though. Indeed, the Queen Bee finishes the Rawst with gusto and moves onto examining the Star Shard. She coos at the scintillating sheen, wondering who could've made such a beauty.

Both you and the captive David wince when Queen Bee puts down the Shard and approaches. However, her expression is not one of malice but of respect. Your offers have passed her test for fine judgment, and she won't be unleashing her minions on you. At least for now. Instead, she tugs on your sleeve and makes a beckoning gesture.

Confused, you glance at David; he responds with an explanation.

"S-She wants a battle, a capture battle. She'll willing to let you capture her, but only if your Pokémon can best her in single combat," says David.

Skitty looks at you with a smug expression, almost mocking you and spurring you to bring on whatever heat you can.

What do you do? What do you order from Piplup?

Old 04-10-2014, 02:46 PM   #19
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Simon grit his teeth as the Queen Bee bit into the bitter-tasting berry, crossing his fingers. But he had no need for concern, she loved it, finishing in a few short bites. His expression changed to a triumphant grin, especially when she seemed so captivated by his second offering. He'd better get that back. The kitten approached him, cutely tugging at his sleeve with her teeth. Did she want him to go somewhere, or... Simon looked to David, who apparently spoke cat.

"S-She wants a battle, a capture battle. She'll willing to let you capture her, but only if your Pokémon can best her in single combat."

Well then! NOW it was time for a showdown. Simon nodded, and grinned at Skitty. "Alright then Queenie, if it's a fight you're looking for, then we're up for it. But I have one condition - no matter what happens, win or lose, you release David. Do we have a deal? Piplup, standby!" With that, he withdrew his Pokéball from his pocket, and clicked it open, causing the penguin to materialise once more. "Go get her, Piplup - intimidate her with a Growl, then attack with Double Hit!"
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 04-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #20
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

"Go get her, Piplup," you command. "Intimidate her with a Growl, then attack with Double Hit!"

Determined, Piplup gives Skitty a flinty look and nods. He will have this battle, at least for you. Skitty smirks; her confidence blossoms like a florist's dream. As the battle begins with a bang, Piplup glares and Growls. Skitty is not easily fazed, though. Indeed, she ignores the supposed tactic of intimidation and meows. Piplup scowls and tries to move forward, when Skitty scurries with terrifying speed and slams into the penguin. Shocked, Piplup stumbles backwards at this Fake Out. All thoughts of an offensive manoeuvre, including Double Hit, dissipate from Piplup's mind in a deluge of surprise. Grinning, Skitty summons a glut of Ground energy and expectorates.

The Mud Bomb catches you and Piplup off-guard, sending you backwards. The ensuring grime splashes across your penguin's face, as he squawks at this sudden obscurement of vision. Indeed, Skitty are not meant to learn Mud Bomb through level-up. Perhaps the talent is a vestige of her parents?

Nevertheless, this Queen Bee is not going to be make this battle easy for you. You and Piplup will need to dig deep.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:40 AM   #21
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Well, that hadn't gone well at all. Not only had Piplup's attack not worked, his growl had had no effect, and he'd taken considerable damage. But with only Pound and Double Hit for offensive moves, it seemed Simon was going to have to get creative. He scanned the kitchen, looking for anything he could use to get the upper hand. But he'd also need to gain some time to strategise while he did so...

"Piplup, throw that bowl of milk at Skitty to disorient her, then move in with Double Hit! I need time to think!"
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 04-13-2014, 02:20 AM   #22
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

"Piplup, throw that bowl of milk at Skitty to disorient her," you command in a firm voice. "Then move in with Double Hit! I need time to think!"

Nodding, Piplup scuttles towards the bowl of milk. Picking up the saucer, Piplup hurtles it like a discus and throws it over Queen Bee's head. Milk drenches the leader Skitty in a torrent. Instantly, the Minion Skitty pack meow and rush towards the milk to lick it up - from the Queen Bee's fur. While Queen Bee yelps and tries to push her own minions off her, your Piplup burnishes with determination. He focusses on what he can do for his Trainer. He wants to make you proud. Dredging up emotion, he hurdles towards Skitty. What can he do? Can he defeat this Skitty? Courage coalesces as a fearsome flame. Piplup has faced down a Rhydon for you, and what is a Skitty compared to a Rhydon? Tautening, Piplup comes to a realisation: for you, he can accomplish anything. And then a dam breaks.

BURST: Piplup has gained a Level! Piplup is now Lv6!

Crashing out with new power, Piplup stretches out and Double Hits the Queen Bee. A greater force pummels Skitty, who gapes in shock. Piplup's slap sends Skitty into a stack of plates, which tumble down on her in a cascade of shards. Although Skitty emerges from the debris moment later, she does not look as unscathed as before. She seems more damaged, wincing with wounds. Piplup has done a number. The Minions move out of the way, when the Queen Bee strides towards Piplup. Her expression is more solemn; she has now decided to take this fight more serious, because you and Piplup have earned her respect.

Last edited by Schadenfreude; 04-13-2014 at 02:34 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:37 PM   #23
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Piplup's aim might need work, but hell if his tactic hadn't been effective. Drenching Regina in milk would infuriate her, and make her more likely to trip up. Plus, her own minions now considered her delicious, which was more than a little funny. Maybe they had a chance after all! Piplup, in sync with this confidence and determination, seemed to grow stronger somehow, and charged forward with his Double Hit, smashing the Queen Bee into a stack of plates, which broke around her, causing a few cuts and scrapes.

"Well, that was unexpectedly violent. Jesus, Piplup. Did you just become a Super Saiyan or something? Because... I'm completely ok with that actually." But there was no time for jokes, Skitty was back, ready to fight, and more determined to win. The key to this fight, it seemed, would be using their environment to their advantage. "Press the attack Piplup, try to keep her in that debris! Slap her with Pound, and one-two her with Double Hit into some pots and pans if you can!"
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 04-15-2014, 08:21 AM   #24
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

"Press the attack Piplup, try to keep her in that debris!" you order in a steady voice. "Slap her with Pound, and one-two her with Double Hit into some pots and pans if you can!"

Piplup lunges at Queen Bee, slapping her with his flippers. He Pounds her. The vigour of Piplup's blow sends the cat into a heavy stack of pots, which tumble onto the startled Skitty. While Queen Bee tries to regain her bearings, the nearby minion bristle their pink fur and hiss at you. However, when they look as though they would shred you, Queen Bee raises a paw and stares them down into backing away from you. This is Queenie's battle, and hers alone. Nobody will intercede. Concentrating, she gathers a glut of Ground energy in her mouth. She then discharges the Mud Bomb on Piplup, blasting him into the freezer door. Dirt and grime splatter; Piplup winces.

Seizing Piplup's brief vulnerability, Skitty pounces again. She hurdles towards Piplup with withering speed, slamming into Piplup in a delirious Fake Out. This time, however, Piplup is more prepared. He cannot be surprised twice in a row. Indeed, Piplup quickly recovers from Skitty's attack without flinching and charges his flippers with white energy. Undeterred, he Hits the cat in a Double procession. Skitty whelps, recoiling from the unswerving blows. Moaning, she falters against Piplup's strengthened assailments. She glances at her minions, who continue to growl. They shoot her an entreating look which warms the edges of Queen Bee's hard expression.

After nodding almost imperceptibly, Skitty begins to cry. Big, fat tears dribble down her cute face, as she wails. Piplup glances at you, feeling a little perturbed. How exactly do you attack a cat that's unarmed and crying?

What do you do? Do you continue attacking Skitty?
Old 04-15-2014, 02:57 PM   #25
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

The battle was turning rough, but Piplup was well and truly holding his own in his first real battle... Well, first battle he actually stood a vague chance in at least, Rhydons aside. And for just having access to a few slaps with his flippers, he was making a hell of a lot of use of them. But suddenly, Skitty began to cry, giving Simon pause for thought. What on earth? She couldn't be that injured... And this was a creature who'd just turned serious, whose respect in combat he had earned. The look she'd exchanged with her minions was also highly suspicious. Yeah, he was having none of it. These crocodile tears were not going to fool him.

"It's a trap, Piplup! Keep your guard up, and strike with Double Hit, and then another Pound, aiming to get her into those pots again!"
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Wild Future > Kanto > Metro Cerulean