6v6
Singles
Slapstick
Equiall 2
36 Hour Strict DQ
Ref's Choice Arena (no water thanks)
Hidden Squad
Return = KO
Now, here's a match between two up-and-comers. On the Challenger box, we have Lanturn, an upbeat and blithe newcomer. On the Acceptor box, we have Fallen Icarus, a Nugget Bridge Trainer who as a Gym Trainer in TR2 created a big splash. Battle stations, allons-y!

So we're all clear on the rules:
- This match is a singles match. Both trainers use one Pokemon at a time.
- Both trainers submit a squad of 6 Pokemon and all 6 will be used in this match. A trainer loses when all 6 of their Pokemon are KO'd.
- The squads will be hidden and only known by me via PM
- Switching out is considered a KO unless the Pokemon is recalled by a switching move such as U-Turn or Baton Pass.
- All Pokemon will be level 1 (or 2 in the case of uplevels) and will be that level's corresponding evolutionary stage. If you aren't sure what evolutionary stage your Pokemon should be at, check the Level Acquisition Table.

The match will progress as follows:
- Both Trainers will PM me their squad of 6, their chosen Pokemon, and their orders.
- Schadenfreude refs the battle.
- Lanturn orders an attack.
- Fallen Icarus orders an attack.
- Schadenfreude refs, and then battle order switches.
- Fallen Icarus orders an attack.
And so on...

The arena that I have chosen for this match is the Rainforest Arena:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenas
Rainforest (Outdoor. Advanced Arena for Outdoor Battles): An advanced level arena, not recommended for novice referees or trainers. A densely wooded rainforest, with the floor covered with moist, loomy grass and buttressed tree-roots. The canopy is high up, as tall trees soar up into the sky, with sunlight streaming through leaves as warm, green glows that Grass Pokémon will enjoy for a frolic or photosynthesis. The light mist and heavy humidity permeating the air dampens most Fire-based attacks significantly: forest fires will be quite rare and difficult to execute. Most attacks will have to center around using the arena to your advantage, as there is very little room to move between the trees. Ice Pokémon will also not enjoy the warm climate, since the warmth from the strong sun weakens their Ice attacks. A plethora of Wild Pokémon hide in this Arena, but only high up the trees: the forest floor itself is undisturbed and is ripe for a battle without external interference.
Optional Special Rules: Rainforest. Wild Pokémon (Forest or Tropical, as applicable), Weakened Fire/Ice Attacks, Strong sunlight

I will be reffing the standard 6/9 and x2/x3 for SE. Hopefully, at least one of you bring Grass or Bugs types. And let's begin this endless waltz, shall we?
Schadenfreude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:40 AM   #2
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Send a message via AIM to Fallen Icarus Send a message via Skype™ to Fallen Icarus
I hate this arena. :/
Old 01-06-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
Lanturn
Just keep swimming x2

Same. :/

FI did you send your squad yet btw
Lanturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:58 PM   #4
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Send a message via AIM to Fallen Icarus Send a message via Skype™ to Fallen Icarus
yeah before you
Old 01-09-2014, 11:23 AM   #5
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Schadenfreude
Round 1: Calm Down

ROUND 1: Calm Down
Drifloon vs Sandile

Spoiler: show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Icarus (Challenger)

Agent (Sandile)- Male Lv.2
--

Let's begin with Agent over here.

Taunt, following up with a Stealth Rock. If you happen to be Taunted, replace the Stealth Rock with a Dark Pulse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanturn
Ichi Lv. 2 Female Drifloon
Biography
Ichi means one, and is a fitting name for her, who has been drifting alone for years in the world with a heart full of despair.

She had a good life originally. She was the second daughter of a Drifblim family and her brother was the leader of the clan of Drifblim. She enjoyed a great childhood, playing around and making friends. However, politics and suspicion soon embroiled the clan, and her brother was forced to execute her parents due to a misunderstanding and her parents being framed. Heart filled with sadness, she confronted the person that framed her parents. Easily defeated and killed for her rebellion, a dark, strange aura surrounded her body, causing her to rise from the grave. Talking strangely, she wrecked the Drifblim that framed her parents, the strongest one in the clan, easily. The people who saw this were terrified, but none of them were able to escape her wrath.

When she regained her consciousness, she realised she had killed her brother and wiped out the whole clan. She realised she was alone and cried, before losing consciousness once more. She woke up having lost her memories and only having shards of it, and drifts in this world, speaking strangely. When people avoided her, she would lose consciousness, and rain pain and horror upon them, then wake up, forgetting what had happened. It wasn't long before she was renowned by a nickname: Ichi, the that travels alone through the lands, bringing despair and horror in her wakes.

One night, Hime met Drifloon while flying around. Having never seen a Drifloon before, she went up and talked to her, only to realise she had been sobbing. Hime, having never seen a Drifloon and curious, went up and talked to her. It wasn't long before Ichi told Hime about the shards of her lost old life. Hime pieced two and two together and her sympathy got Hime talking. Ichi was touched by Hime's kindness as this was the first time since her memory loss. She agreed to join the squad and on the adventure. While her heart has strengthened and she had became friendly, she still occasionally shows signs of her old life. Aside from that, she's a fan of flowers.
Signature
Signature Training: Revival
Whenever Ichi is KO'd due to damage (discounting Toxic damage and so) dealt, a dark cocoon will surround her, reviving her and gaining half a Hyper Beam's worth of health before it disappears into the ground once more. This will only happen once and will not happen when she is KO'd by energy loss, residual damage and so on. Due to her love of flowers and birds, all attacks targeting bird-like Pokemon and grass Pokemon will be reduced to 80% of their original damage. Aside from this, she cannot use Explosion, Pain Split, Destiny Bond, Memento after she is revived. Any stats modifier she has prior to fainting will disappear, and it will not carry over to the period where she is revived.

---

I'll be starting off with Ichi. Hypnosis then Calm Mind. If your foe's still awake somehow, shoot out a Ominous Wind

Welcome to the Rainforest Arena. Majestic trees sprout forth, as kings of nature, as their branches and roots venture outward in veins of green and wood. Moist permeates the air, like a sharp knife. Between the rustling leaves, cascading beams of sunshine careen through as gentle glows which illuminate the loamy moss that carpets the forest floor. High up the canopy, various Weepinbell swing like chimes, as Dustox glimmer in the gentle warmth. These wild Pokémon watch warily from their hidden perches in the tallest peaks. A small brook trickles across, zigzagging across a few sprightly ferns and a lattice of vines. Amid the caws of Tropius, two Trainers slide over the buttress-roots and approach one another. They glance at one another and nod. Straightening up, the Trainers know that this Rainforest will become an abode of battle, at least very soon. Their hands flit to their PokéBalls.

The Referee, a young man wearing a large sunhat, speaks aloud:

"We now begin the Pokémon Match between Lanturn and Fallen Icarus," he says, opening his palms. "Here is the data on their chosen Pokémon."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokédex
Drifloon (Ghost/Flying): Drifloon is considered familiar with Psychic abilities. It can inflate itself to either provide a slight defense against physical attacks or for propulsion. Drifloon is almost always solid, but able to turn ethereal for short periods of time. They are very nimble in the air but light much like Hoppip and can be blown about easily by winds, but in ethereal, they are not influenced by winds or other similar forces. They have no flight ceiling.
[Flying]: Flying Pokémon, with a few exceptions, all fly. Those who cannot are faster and more agile in their chosen mode of transportation. When standing on the ground, they take 1x damage from Electric moves.
[Ghost]: Ghosts are resistant to attacks which induce confusion or other mental effects and are immune to telekinetic-based Psychic moves if not in the solid state (though will still take damage from Psychic moves regardless of state). They cannot be poisoned. Ghosts fight more enthusiastically at night and can see in the dark, though they are not put off by fighting in the day. Their fear inducing attacks are more effective than those used by other pokémon. Ghost-types take neutral damage from Normal, Fighting and typeless attacks in the ASB, as opposed to in the games, but some may change their state in order to evade certain moves. See Ghost Pokémon Information for details on states.

Sandile: (Ground/Dark) Sandlie have a dark membrane covering their eyes, acting like “sunglasses” to protect them from bright light and sandstorms. They are somewhat resistant to light-based attacks as a result and can see well in bright sunlight.
[Ground]: Ground Pokémon are considered to be immune to electricity while standing on the ground. If a Ground Pokémon is in the air, they take 75% the normal damage from electric attacks. If a ground type is wet, electric attacks affect it normally (unless the Pokémon is naturally wet/slimy, like Quagsire).
[Dark]: Dark types can see in the dark. They prefer to fight at night, however light does not adversely affect them.
The Referee says loudly, "And let's begin in three... two... one. Release!"

From the red lights of PokéBalls converge a purple blimp called Ichi, belonging to the Drifloon species, and an earthy crocodile named Agent from the Sandile line. The two creatures keep their distance, before Ichi hovers over the loamy floor and attempts to summon Psychic energy to her beady eyes. When the Hypnosis begins, however, the magic trick fails. Harsh words fall out of the Sandile's mouth, each foul jibe stabbing Drifloon's emotions like a silent dagger. Vituperative, Agent jabbers at Ichi and tosses Taunting remarks at Ichi. Rage drops in Drifloon's heart, seething and overriding all sense of reason. Drifloon abandons her Hypnosis halfway, having lost sight of what she wanted to do. Meanwhile, Sandile feels a pang of drowsiness, but he is far from falling asleep. A half-baked Hypnosis makes for not a full-hearted rest.

As opportunistic as his species often are, Sandile seizes this momentary reprieve in battle to commence the next stage of battle. Shaking off his drowsiness, Agent slams his tail upon the forest floor. The earth trembles as a cacophony of rocks emerge under Drifloon. Several branches are uprooted in the process, although their buttressed nature results in the canopied trees standing firm and unyielding. Sandile smirks, and pounds his tail once more, pumping out more Rock energy. And the rocks ricochet into Ishi for some super-effective damage, before Stealthily retreating into the forest-floor like crouching menaces.

Startled by the barrage, Drifloon closes her eyes. She tries to find zen and Calmness in the din of battle, but the recurrence of awful thoughts and incensing gestures plague her Mind, like a swarm of rabid gnats. Scowling, she hovers around and decides to forego her attempts at boosting, focussing instead of attacking the Sandile at the next available opportunity.

---

Drifloon is leading the energy race, having avoided expending a taxing amount of energy. Sandile has expended more significant amounts. However, the health-side shows the inverse. While Sandile is on perfect health, Drifloon has lost a considerable amount. Both are still very fresh, however.

Both Pokémon are quite close to one another, next to the trickling brook. The Weepinbell are curious and watching down from above ten feet. If you approach their high homes, they may become frightened. Stealth Rocks have been planted, and Drifloon is feeling rather irritable, although the Taunt has pretty much all but faded at this point.

-Lanturn to order

Last edited by Schadenfreude; 01-10-2014 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Update from Reffing Q&A
Old 01-09-2014, 04:52 PM   #6
Lanturn
Just keep swimming x2

Just a note, Ghosts can auto shift-form in order to dodge certain moves. So Stealth Rock should have missed since Drifloon can go Ethereal.

Also, can I get a copy of my squad since yeah I fforgot :P

Let's use your aerial advantage as you fly around. Then pop a Air Cutter
Old 01-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Apologies, but I have to doubt the soundness of Calm Mind working, as he was taunted. ;p

Also taunt should be fast enough to stop the Hypnosis entirely, as sound is pretty fast :p Plus, technically I would have had the first move iniative-Thats just a minor qualm though, so I won't push too much on that.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:45 PM   #8
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Also Lanturn it's not supposed to happen randomly like that :p
Old 01-10-2014, 01:37 AM   #9
Lanturn
Just keep swimming x2

It is. Ghost have the ability to idle-dodge, and go into different forms to avoid attacks. Or at least, I think .-.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:56 AM   #10
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Bah, it wouldn't have worked since Taunt.

Last edited by Fallen Icarus; 01-10-2014 at 02:12 AM.
Fallen Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:18 AM   #11
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanturn View Post
Just a note, Ghosts can auto shift-form in order to dodge certain moves. So Stealth Rock should have missed since Drifloon can go Ethereal.

Also, can I get a copy of my squad since yeah I fforgot :P

Let's use your aerial advantage as you fly around. Then pop a Air Cutter
Actually, the auto shift-form only applies when the Pokemon is either using a move that forces that form (i.e. Dusknoir going Solid to use a Punch) or if the Ghost has significant warning that an attack is coming. Since going ethereal is not particularly natural for Drifloon and Ishi was in a ragey state at the time, Stealth Rock hit.

My understanding is that you can shift forms, but you'd have to use a move to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Icarus View Post
Apologies, but I have to doubt the soundness of Calm Mind working, as he was taunted. ;p

Also taunt should be fast enough to stop the Hypnosis entirely, as sound is pretty fast :p Plus, technically I would have had the first move iniative-Thats just a minor qualm though, so I won't push too much on that.
For Calm Mind, I'm looking into it at the moment. I took the rationale of "Calm Mind removing Confusion" aspect, but I could be wrong. Watch this space.

Regarding Taunt, Taunt is more than just sound. It's also gestures and body language. It was a random roll, and that's what happened. Also, the Hypnosis didn't really affect you any way because you managed to execute your next Attack perfectly regardless.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:20 AM   #12
Lanturn
Just keep swimming x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost SCs in Announcement
Ghosts in 'natural' mode will automatically shift into the state which will take the lowest amount of damage, should they get enough warning of an incoming attack. While changing states does not consume any notable amount of energy, Ghosts require a brief period of time after changing state before they can do it again. Pokémon may not change state more than once per round.

Unless the ghost is ordered to be in a certain state, it remains fluctuating between solid and ethereal/gaseous. If it sees a solid/physical attack coming, it will easily become ethereal or gaseous to avoid the damage. If a 'special' attack is coming at it, it will shift to solid state to minimize the damage, as it is more susceptible to it in ethereal state. Ghosts which cannot enter the ethereal or gaseous state do not possess this attribute and will not automatically switch states to avoid attacks.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:11 AM   #13
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Okay, I have the official report from Jeri. No dodge on Stealth Rock, and Taunt fully thwarted Calm Mind.

Round has been editted. Lanturn, you can reorder.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #14
Lanturn
Just keep swimming x2

Use your aerial advantage as you pop two Air Cutter
Old 01-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #15
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Snarl to disrupt the first Air Cutter's charging. Dark Pulse just as he starts to charge the second.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #16
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

ROUND 2: Heart of Darkness
Drifloon vs Sandile

Emboldened, Ichi attempts to seize the initiative blessed upon her by virtue of ordering first. She gathers her native Flying energy and slams an Air Cutter into Sandile, with the swiftness of an arrow, before Agent can respond. The quick charge nature of the order has triumphed, it seems. Surprise smothers Sandile's expression, marring his previous confidence, as the crocodile is pushed back into a tree root. Moss and mulch skids as Sandile braces to a stop.

Sandile's ugly expression manifests, as though his furnace of a heart seethed at the very sight of Ichi. Terror rents the air, as Agent releases a chilling Snarl. Dark energy pulses in waves, perturbing Drifloon for super-effective damage. The balloon Pokémon shivers to an invisible breeze, as Ichi floated higher to get away from the Sandile. The second Air Cutter does not even grace the Drifloon's mind, since she is too shaken from gazing into the maw of sadism. The Weepinbell have also noticed: their steady gazes become fixated on Sandile, cautious and wary.

Buoyed with success, Agent continues his trailblaze. Summoning his moxie, Sandile launches a Pulse of Dark energy at the hovering Drifloon, who screams and collides into yet another tree. A discomfited demenaour etches on her face.

---

Drifloon hasn't used that much energy, really, compared to Sandile, who might want to consider a lighter round. The health gap widens, with Drifloon taking two SE hits.

Both Pokémon are further apart from one another: Drifloon is a few feet above, hovering near a few trees, and Sandile is watching from near the trickling brook. The Weepinbell look spooked and not particularly happy.

-Icarus to order.

Last edited by Schadenfreude; 01-11-2014 at 02:11 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #17
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Mean Look.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #18
Lanturn
Just keep swimming x2

Take the Snarl as you Calm Mind. Natural Gift
Old 01-11-2014, 02:21 PM   #19
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

ROUND 3: Au Naturel
Drifloon vs Sandile

While Ichi trembles, appearing to want to flee as far as possible, Sandile offers no reprieve. Agent begins this exchange with a callous stare. Tersely, Sandile bore glares into Drifloon, his jaw set into a Mean Look which freezes Drifloon. Shaking, Drifloon finds her body immobile, unable to function due to the overinsurgence of adrenaline. Fear belabours her nerves, like liquid fire.

Abject, Ichi closes her eyes. Deep breathes, in and out. She focuses on the tranquil environment around her, of running brooks and sprawling canopies. The zen thoughts shimmer in her Mind, like a Calming visage. Serenity. When Ichi opens her eyes, she is still shaken but less so. Some semblance of normalcy has resumed.

Drawing inspiration from the nature that had calmed her, Ichi releases a bout of energy into the soil beneath her. The tree almost appear to whisper. Gathering beneath Sandile, a burst of Grass-typed energy slams under Agent, glimmering in the warm sunlight. The Power of Nature envelops Agent. And Sandile yelps in pain, reeling from the super-effective damage.

---

While Drifloon has expended high amounts of energy, Sandile feels more refreshed, having completed a lighter round. Drifloon has taken no damage, and Sandile has taken a heavy, SE hit. Drifloon feels rather shaken, albeit less than before CM.

Distances are the same as before. The Weepinbell are still scrutinising Sandile.

-Lanturn to order.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:24 PM   #20
Lanturn
Just keep swimming x2

Stay up in the sky and move around constantly. Burst Agility if any dark type moves come your way.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:26 PM   #21
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Spite the natural gift, then follow up with a Snarl.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #22
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

ROUND 4: Spiteful
Drifloon vs Sandile

Ashen with fear, Ishi scuttles further away from the Sandile, zipping up the trees. Until she approaches the canopy, Drifloon does not even pause to look down at Sandile. Her top priority is getting away from Agent. With the flight bestowed upon her species, Drifloon reaches an acme in no time at all. However, distance is no bastion of safety. And Agent intends to epitomise that notion.

Filled with Spite, Sandile evokes a curse of sorts through his limited stores of Ghost energy. The hex assails Drifloon, even from a distance, siphoning away precious energy as a pipette would to a saline solution. Almost immediately, Ishi feels a weariness drape over her body. She appears feeble.

Sandile, being predatory, attempts to capitalise. A dark bark cleaves the Rainforest once more, but the Snarl, travelling distances, is thwarted somewhat by a Burst of Short-Term Agility. Ishi darts further up the trees. Although the magnitude of the sound waves is lessened by distance, the attack still stings quite significantly. Unfortunately for Sandile, the Weepinbell also bore some of this attack.

One or two of these Grass Pokemon hop with anger, glaring at Sandile. They look rather livid and cross.

---

Drifloon has used as truckload of energy this round and also took more SE hits. Sandile, on the other hand, looks pretty dandy and happy, although his Ghost energy took a dip hit.

Even greater distance between the two. One or two Weepinbell look like they want to jump on Sandile if he provokes them once more.

-Icarus to order.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #23
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

...move out of the area by using the foliage and trees for hiding. (enough to get out of sight of the weepinbell) Dark Pulse if he follows.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:50 PM   #24
Lanturn
Just keep swimming x2

Perch yourself on one of the trees around him to hide then launch a Silver Wind

Last edited by Lanturn; 01-12-2014 at 05:33 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:33 AM   #25
Lanturn
Just keep swimming x2

Bumpoh!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL