UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2015, 07:08 PM   #26
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!
 
Doppleganger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Yukinomiya City, Fukushima Prefecture
Posts: 11,240
Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I'm really glad they managed to make the exposition episodes entertaining, I wasn't sure those would make for anime material.

Episode 6 is much like that. You get to see Saitama's strength in a more serious light, and how the "lesser characters" kind of take over the story.

Next week should be a good one, I think.
__________________
あなたの勇気が切り開く未来
ふたりの想いが見つけだす希望
今 信じあえる
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:12 PM   #27
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!
 
Doppleganger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Yukinomiya City, Fukushima Prefecture
Posts: 11,240
Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Read this on the chans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotsuba
People DON'T believe hard work is enough. People think "if you succeed in something, it must be because you got there by cheating".

Why is "He trained hard" not believable? Is it because "characters who trained hard" had been shat on by shonen manga for decades, being the stepping stone for heroes who have the genes or gifts that made them able to effortlessly win against those who trained harder than they?
It's very accurate. I cannot for the life of me think of a single example of a main character who had no special talents, lineage or advantages and basically became a god through hard work alone. And not any hard work, the kind that anyone with proper dedication could achieve.

Every single story involves a guy having some inborn talent or advantage that bequeaths distinguishment. Saitama did it on hard work alone!
__________________
あなたの勇気が切り開く未来
ふたりの想いが見つけだす希望
今 信じあえる
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:59 AM   #28
Talon87
Shenmue III, baby!
 
Talon87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lafayette, Indiana
Posts: 20,162
Send a message via AIM to Talon87
Hard work often couples with special gifts because at the higher levels of competition you have to find ways to separate the protagonist from allllllll the other hard workers, and it's just not common to see an author do that by saying, "Well he (protagonist) worked just a little bit harder! :p" Examples of hard workers who also had special gifts to separate them from their fellow hard workers:
  • Hikaru in Hikaru no Go, who works very hard at it thanks to Sai's tireless efforts but who is also argued as having a special gift which opens certain doors
  • Kaiji in Kaiji, who works just as hard as several of his fellow debtors but who ultimately is argued as being just a little bit cleverer, braver, or just plain "special" and that's why he survived where others perish
  • Ryouma in The Prince of Tennis, who works as hard as the 90th percentile of hard workers -- others may work harder than him, but he's definitely one of the hardest workers in the show -- but who ultimately is argued to have a gift for tennis that is either genetically inherited from his father or else was cultivated by his father during the boy's upbringing. Either way, Ryouma has a gift that others appear unable to unlock through hard work alone.
I disagree with the chan poster who says people assume cheating from experts. That's not the case for me and I also don't think it's the case for most people. People don't think Usain Bolt cheats, for example. They credit his wins to hard work and special factors like genes. Not everyone can become Usain Bolt through hard work; while everyone at the event worked hard to get there, only Usain Bolt wins in the end. Rather than believe that it's because Bolt worked harder than anyone else there, people believe that it's because Bolt worked as hard as other people there and that he also has special, luck-of-the-draw advantages that make him who he is and that decide his adversaries' defeats.

The problem with saying that anyone can become Saitama (the strongest man in the world) through hard work alone is that it's false right on the surface. People know that if the man with brittle bones trains hard, the average man trains equally hard, and the man with the best DNA for muscle growth and bone strength trains equally hard, the man with the winning genetic lottery ticket is going to be Best Saitama, i.e. the only Saitama, while the man with brittle bones is going to be Worst Saitama, i.e. not Saitama at all because there is another man in the world who is clearly his better. Knowing this, people will resent you for trying to argue that "through hard work and determination, you too can become Saitama!" You might become a stronger version of yourself. You might even become the strongest version of yourself. But only one person is going to have the mantle of Strongest Man Alive.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:10 PM   #29
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!
 
Doppleganger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Yukinomiya City, Fukushima Prefecture
Posts: 11,240
Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Saitama and his pet hamster make the cover of the new Weekly Young Jump:

Spoiler: show
__________________
あなたの勇気が切り開く未来
ふたりの想いが見つけだす希望
今 信じあえる
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:28 PM   #30
Talon87
Shenmue III, baby!
 
Talon87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lafayette, Indiana
Posts: 20,162
Send a message via AIM to Talon87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Saitama and his pet hamster make the cover of the new Weekly Young Jump:

Spoiler: show
Spoiler: show
Umaru~un!
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 06:36 PM   #31
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!
 
Doppleganger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Yukinomiya City, Fukushima Prefecture
Posts: 11,240
Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I copy-edited this quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotsuba
knowing one punch man world, where a man turns into a crab for eat too much crabs, a dude turns into a monster [after] wishing [to] be one, a unnumployed [salaryman] becomes invencible for do too much trainning, etc. it will be not weird if sonic turns into a chick for be hit in the nuts so many times
Physics isn't what is. It's what makes sense.
__________________
あなたの勇気が切り開く未来
ふたりの想いが見つけだす希望
今 信じあえる
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:45 PM   #32
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!
 
Doppleganger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Yukinomiya City, Fukushima Prefecture
Posts: 11,240
Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
The secret of One-Punch Man revealed, an interview with Murata and ONE (OPM's writer):

http://pastebin.com/NrAtjYUC

This quote finally sheds some light on the biggest question of mine, how is Saitama's boredom supposed to be related to his desire for heroism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONE
O: Well.... what I think is cool is a hero that stands up against someone who seems stronger than you. If you knew you were strong, you can just show up regardless of how evil the enemy is , but what's important is if there was someone clearly stronger than you hurting a child, can you stand up against it? I feel that that mentality is what defines a hero, and I thought that zeal would draw readers including myself. Saitama himself wants this zeal as well, but because he's so strong he had this drive taken away from him. But instead, he understands people's feelings, and he can lend his hand to the weak. I'd like to treasure this part of his.
That's exactly what happened in the first episode, and hasn't happened since. Nice.
__________________
あなたの勇気が切り開く未来
ふたりの想いが見つけだす希望
今 信じあえる
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:25 AM   #33
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!
 
Doppleganger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Yukinomiya City, Fukushima Prefecture
Posts: 11,240
Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
"Saitama just took all the credit!"

Spoiler: show
I'm surprised that nobody noticed that after Saitama punched the Deepsea King, it stopped raining.
__________________
あなたの勇気が切り開く未来
ふたりの想いが見つけだす希望
今 信じあえる
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:59 AM   #34
KamenAeons
What are you looking at?
 
KamenAeons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: FLOOF
Posts: 2,733
This humours me more than it should.

Anime -> Exercise shock horror
__________________




Spoiler: show


Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity




Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.


Spoiler: show


SAAVE ME


FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*


Spoiler: show

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

Spoiler: show

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

Spoiler: show

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."


Spoiler: show
Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"



Love burns brightly for one and all.

Spoiler: show


Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:01 PM   #35
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!
 
Doppleganger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Yukinomiya City, Fukushima Prefecture
Posts: 11,240
Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
My thoughts on the final episode:

__________________
あなたの勇気が切り開く未来
ふたりの想いが見つけだす希望
今 信じあえる
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:39 PM   #36
PiccoloNamek
Cascade Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 400
Send a message via AIM to PiccoloNamek
That was pretty epic.
PiccoloNamek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:21 PM   #37
McSweeney
Soul Badge
 
McSweeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Saskatoon, Canada
Posts: 1,412
I think One Punch Man is "in danger" of becoming the next Naruto/Bleach/Attack on Titan. My friend at work, who isn't even that into anime, just told me last night, "Dude, you should watch One Punch Man!" I said that I heard about it before but haven't seen it. I told him however that I read all of Fist of the North Star which might be similar, and he replied, "Fist of the North Star? What's that? Never heard of it." One Punch Man is making waves in the mainstream, bros.
__________________


Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:23 PM   #38
Loki
Savage
 
Loki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,015
I think the easy accessibility through Hulu and the general hilarious premise coupled with the recent Superhero craze brought about by Marvel and DC's movie output has made One Punch Man a pretty decent entry point for a more general audience.

It feels somewhat similar to the attention Attack on Titan got except this series is actually good.
__________________
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:40 AM   #39
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!
 
Doppleganger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Yukinomiya City, Fukushima Prefecture
Posts: 11,240
Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Shingeki no Kyojin was a lot bigger in Japan than the US, but it's almost been the reverse for OPM. Don't get me wrong - OPM is hugely popular in Japan too, but not amongst casual folks, it's mostly been an industry and niche favourite. I say "industry" because while OPM has a nominally normal budget, the animators who worked on it put in a lot of work because they not only loved the source material, but also wanted to outdo one another on who would animate the most spectacular part.

SnK, meanwhile, isn't well loved amongst the industry or the "otaku". If I recall, a bunch of young animators complained about how hard it was to work on SnK. This is also reflected in the DVD sales, I think - SnK is all but guaranteed for a second season once enough material is available, and the Chuugakou omake is meant to help raise money toward that. OPM needs both material and money, since DVD sales are kind of average.

It's a shame because the upcoming major arc is incredible and blows what the anime covered out of the water.
__________________
あなたの勇気が切り開く未来
ふたりの想いが見つけだす希望
今 信じあえる
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:32 AM   #40
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge
 
big bad birtha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,862
It's kind of unsettling that such a good show is going mainstream. Eew. I remember seeing a chart of some of the most annoying kinds of fans, and on top of that list is "irrational fans who like the same thing you like."
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:33 PM   #41
Loki
Savage
 
Loki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,015
>going mainstream

Welcome to my feelings about Marvel.
__________________
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:29 PM   #42
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!
 
Doppleganger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Yukinomiya City, Fukushima Prefecture
Posts: 11,240
Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I don't know how you could feel the same toward Marvel, given Marvel's destiny before Disney was death. Even now, it's kind of a zombie corporation with only the most recognizable properties turned into movies, and only then just the basic, recycled mythos.

I don't think OPM going "mainstream" is that terrible a thing - it all depends on the quality of the media. Quality is going to degrade with audience size just because mainstream opens up a work to more critical analysis. I look at Madoka, Shingeki, and Fate/stay night all as titles which have "aged" pretty badly from all the holes poked in 'em. They've gone full swiss cheese from the criticism, and that accelerates fan dislike.

But ONE, OPM's author, is pretty talented. I don't think OPM will have so much quantity it'll have a noticeable quality drop like One Piece did, but so far in the manga it's remained dynamite. And, as I've mentioned, the following major arc after the Dark Matter Thieves is infinitely better, like combining the best parts of the Dark Matter Thieves along with the best parts of the Deepsea King arc.
__________________
あなたの勇気が切り開く未来
ふたりの想いが見つけだす希望
今 信じあえる
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 11:31 PM   #43
Loki
Savage
 
Loki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,015
The problem I have is that in my younger years, shit like anime and comics were 'nerdy' and everyone expected you to be the antisocial, non-bathing, basement dwelling troglodyte. Now every asshole thinks they're awesome wearing a Deadpool shirt when they've likely never read anything expect like the few excerpt jokes people post on the internet.

And anime isn't exactly 'all unique' material. So many series are influenced and recycle ideas from other series like Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon, Gundam, and Battle Royale to name a few.

Even One Punch Man pays homage to so many comic book heroes, especially Superman. While Saitama certainly isn't as godly as the American icon, he's certainly got his strength and invulnerability, but is refreshing with a more honest character personality and pathos.
__________________
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:02 AM   #44
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!
 
Doppleganger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Yukinomiya City, Fukushima Prefecture
Posts: 11,240
Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
The problem I have is that in my younger years, shit like anime and comics were 'nerdy' and everyone expected you to be the antisocial, non-bathing, basement dwelling troglodyte. Now every asshole thinks they're awesome wearing a Deadpool shirt when they've likely never read anything expect like the few excerpt jokes people post on the internet.
That stereotype hasn't gone away. Someone else mentioned it here, but if you drop something like "Crisis of Infinite Earths" to someone wearing said Deadpool shirt, you're immediately perceived as geeky swine.

Because, as I said, what is "superheroes" now is a regurgitated cud of comic book mythos. It's very telling that origin stories tend to be the staple of the superhero film, where Disney is more than willing to reboot a franchise every couple years rather than develop the plot/characters of the universe.

For one, I always found sequences awkward. Ghostbusters 2 is weird because I don't even remember the guys from the first film. There was a black guy in the original and he wasn't just added into the second? etc. Origins stories introduces the characters all over again, relives the entry drama over again, without having to invest in the lives of the characters.

It's representative of the fans you dislike. Ask how Batman or Superman came to be, they know. Ask how Luthor died, they probably couldn't answer (nor could I). Ask who Lobo or Madame Webb are, and they'll give you weird looks (superhero hobo, Aunt May after Peter gave a blood transfusion?). That's cause all the mythos more or less agree on the origins story, but not the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
And anime isn't exactly 'all unique' material. So many series are influenced and recycle ideas from other series like Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon, Gundam, and Battle Royale to name a few.

Even One Punch Man pays homage to so many comic book heroes, especially Superman. While Saitama certainly isn't as godly as the American icon, he's certainly got his strength and invulnerability, but is refreshing with a more honest character personality and pathos.
Saitama's great because in spite of his awesome power, he's still got the personality of an ordinary guy. Not unlike his real life counterpart, who suddenly got vast power despite his humble lifestyle and intense daily routine.
__________________
あなたの勇気が切り開く未来
ふたりの想いが見つけだす希望
今 信じあえる
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:06 AM   #45
Lauren
Pokemon Trainer
 
Lauren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: I'm everywhere
Posts: 11
One Punch Man is pretty nice, I was told to read the manga while before the anime started but I wasn't very motivated for that, after the anime started, I couldn't hesitate to watch it again..
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:15 AM   #46
mespritchaser
Pokemon Trainer
 
mespritchaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 38
My brother, who doesn't watch as much shows as I do, has binge-watched One Punch that I feel like I should.

I have watched the first episode and liked it though. What should I expect?
mespritchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:17 PM   #47
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!
 
Doppleganger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Yukinomiya City, Fukushima Prefecture
Posts: 11,240
Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
The anime itself is mostly monster of the week. There's a major story arc that emerges after the Dark Matter Thieves invasion, but that isn't covered in the anime.
__________________
あなたの勇気が切り開く未来
ふたりの想いが見つけだす希望
今 信じあえる
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 12:35 PM   #48
Talon87
Shenmue III, baby!
 
Talon87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lafayette, Indiana
Posts: 20,162
Send a message via AIM to Talon87
Whoa, has it really been one year since One Punch Man aired? o.o; I thought it was a 2016 series ...

I watched Episode 03 last night, Episode 04 today. I had forgotten that when I last watched OPM I left it with a score of "6/10 - Fair". That perfectly describes my almost-tepid response to the two episodes I watched. ^^; It's not a bad show by any means ... It just ... I don't think it's for me. :\ I feel like very little has happened, the underlying plot isn't terribly interesting (yet?), and the show relies too heavily on the sort of humor that heavily appeals to adolescent boys.

That stated, the main character is very likeable (which is always a plus) and the way Episode 04 ends it looks like we may be on track for our first solid storyline. (Because forget that chimera nonsense. ) The cast of recurring characters is expanding bit by bit and there's even been some slight mystery tossed into the mix.

Spoiler: show
The entire time Hammerhead was talking, all I could think about was Okuyasu from JJBA: DIU. ^^; His vocal performance is identical in both roles and I guess it had been so long since I'd last heard him that my brain is just heavily associating his voice with Okuyasu now.

I wasn't able to pick him out until around the testicle-crushing scene, but Sonic is of course none other than Kaji Yuki. (Good God, this man is EVERYWHERE nowadays!)

I wish I had more to say about the actual story. I just ... don't. :\ There's not a lot to say, really. I hope this changes soon, and for the better.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 03:42 PM   #49
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!
 
Doppleganger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Yukinomiya City, Fukushima Prefecture
Posts: 11,240
Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
There isn't much of an overarching story in the early goings. Saitama is obscure, he doesn't care much, and he does daily things like buy food and wash his clothes. His "discovery" by Genos is only the beginning of things.

The problem is though, the anime only barely scratches the surface of the story. OPM becomes really, really good when the story actually does go down, and no I'm not talking about the Dark Matter Thieves.
__________________
あなたの勇気が切り開く未来
ふたりの想いが見つけだす希望
今 信じあえる
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 05:17 PM   #50
Connor
Who Knows?
 
Connor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,984
Hopefully the popularity will cement a second season. Though that may already be in the works, I'm not exactly one to keep up avidly with that kind of news.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 AM.


Design By: Miner Skinz.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.