UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Suggestions and Inquiries

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 11:14 AM   #1726
Jerichi
本✚能

If Smeargle has already Sketched them, no.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:41 PM   #1727
Shuckle
Mage of Mind

Can I have an official LO answer to why you may not have more than 2 of the same Pokemon on your squad?

I understand the idea of preventing people from taking more than 2 of the same Pokemon in 1 battle. That's not up for debate. But the ability to have 3 Charizards on your squad, even if you can only use 2 at a time, seems rather benign.

1. You can have all 3 of those Charizard sigs you like.
2. You can enjoy the thought of being a cool Charizard trainer with lots of Charizards.
3. You can have both Mega Charizard X and Mega Charizard Y while still keeping a badge on yet another Charizard.

Honestly, I'm a bit ticked that I don't get a whole bunch of Shuckles to sig as I please. Especially with weak Pokemon, it can be fun to have sigs to cover their weaknesses or boost their strengths.

But I'm getting too much into why it should when what I want to hear is why it shouldn't.

Spoiler: show
[The Sorcerer's Ambition]A handy link, to be sure.
Level Acquisitions, sorted by level instead of name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
Shuckle's awesomeness level continues to rise.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:07 AM   #1728
Jerichi
本✚能

If we let you have 6 Shuckle, then we're going to have newbies filling their squads with 8 Dratinis and stupidass vets running a Metagross for every situation. You can live with two of a species.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:00 AM   #1729
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Perhaps only allow one of a species of pokemon to be actually brought to a battle?
Old 05-29-2015, 11:07 AM   #1730
Mercutio
Banned

Ugh.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:54 PM   #1731
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

I like the idea of switching the squad restriction to a match restriction, but the issue lies in that, as Jeri said, one could theoretically just have a bunch of high-tier pokemon sigged for each situation.

Then again, let's be honest here, chances are you're not going to manage to sig a pokemon to be advantageous in any match, trying to do so eats into your slots, and no one is really going to want to do that anyways.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:46 PM   #1732
Sneaze
#SWAG

Send a message via Skype™ to Sneaze
If we make this into a per match thing I will literally drop my entire squad and add nothing but Snorlax, Dragonite, Metagross, etc with sigs for every occasion.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Whatever Sneasel says is right
Old 06-08-2015, 01:35 PM   #1733
Zelphon
Happy October

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
Does Gastro Acid remove passive/permanent modifications to moves if said modifications (not the moves) are gained via sig?

Example: Moves that do X no longer hurt none enemy pokemon.

Also could we please get a better Move Description for that thing :x

Old 06-08-2015, 01:46 PM   #1734
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
I've always been of the opinion that sigs that don't need to be ordered shouldn't be suppressed by Gastro Acid. It makes no sense for a typechange to be reverted, for instance.

Could use clarifying though.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:20 PM   #1735
Snorby
Lacking in Beef

Just to make it clear, this is the scenario in question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder Doll View Post
Dr.Boom: Smeargle - 3 Male
Explosion/Bursting/Combustion Moves: Seed Bomb, Energy Ball, Smog, Flame Burst, Shadow Ball, Barrage, Sludge Bomb, Egg Bomb, Dynamic Punch, Water Pulse, Belch, Mud Bomb & Magnet Bomb
Standard Moves: Reflect, Light Screen, Safeguard, Phantom Force, Will-O-Wisp, Confuse Ray, Spite, Focus Blast, Super Power, Earthquake, & Surf

Biography: Born into a family of Smeargle that had long been used as guards for a Royal Art Gallery Dr.Boom was thrust into a life requiring much finesse & discipline, unfortunately for him he lacked both. From childhood to adulthood the families wisest and experienced teachers attempted to pass on the techniques required to perform the duties required of Dr.Boom but alas with each attempt at performing the artful moves of his ancestors he only seemed to get worse or as some may now argue....better. Indeed although he was a miserable in the practice he was born to partake this was because Dr.Boom had, as his name now suggests, a knack for making things go...boom. This gift in disguise did bring many changes in his life however, as once had fully matured his own family disowned him, fully convinced he would never be able to take up charge for the Royals, saddened and filled with fury Dr.Boom set off from the Gallery he had once called home wandering around, causing mayhem everywhere, his explosive techniques becoming more deliberate as well as destructive, this Smeargle on a mission managing to turn an entire forest into a debris filled wasteland where he called home for many years....that is, until people started taking notice of...you know...an entire forest being all exploded. Indeed many trainers, villainous teams and even an army or two came for Dr.Boom seeking to add his destructive force to their arsenal, but all failed to do so, the Smeargle proving to evasive for the larger groups and far to volatile to capture by trainers unlucky enough to actually end up encountering the object of their search. However one day when he was fleeing from a shadowy figure of ultimate wrong a tree, fell by one of his techniques, fell upon his tail, disabling him from making things go boom and pinning him in place, pitying the distraught Smeargle the being of wrong helped free Dr.Boom from his ensnarement, surprised by this act of kindness (one of very few he had ever experienced) Dr.Boom agreed to join Zelphy's party.

Special Training: Explosives Expert
Although his none explosive/bursting/combustion attacks deal 20% less damage while still costing 10% more energy Dr.Boom does have a variety of perks including 10 extra Sketch slots compared to other members of his kin, but these must be used for moves that involve explosions, bursting open, or combustion (Think Dynamic Punch, Barrage, Belch, Blast Burn, Shadow Ball. But not standard Fire moves like Flamethrower). In addition all of said kinds of moves are now fine tuned to only affect enemy pokemon and now experience a slight increase in blast radius, the force of the moves are also more evenly spread making them less susceptible to having their damage reduced if some of their blast is avoided or if the technique being used is intentionally made wide-spread. Last but not least, if a move sketched by Dr.Boom included the word "Bomb in its name and it does not already involve a bursting or explosive nature it gains 1 foot wide blast radius.
Gastro Acid is used on this sig. As per Jeri above, it keeps all its sketch slots and such. Said Smeargle uses Barrage in a way that would normally cause it to suffer damage, but the sig has a clause that says attacks that cause explosions used by Smeargle won't effect Smeargle.

My question is:

If Gastro Acid doesn't remove the attacks given to it by the sig, and it doesn't effect things that aren't even permanent alterations to Smeargle itself such as its own attacks being altered to not effect him, then what, if anything, does it effect?

Click on Fawful for my ASB squad summary. Other links coming soon.

Last edited by Snorby; 06-08-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:46 PM   #1736
Jerichi
本✚能

Gastro Acid is going to remove passive boosts or moves gained directly from a sig, be them custom or pre-existing, but getting rid of Sketch slots and erasing already Sketched moves is way too messy (also type changes and things that change essential qualities of the Pokémon aren't going to be effected).

I'd say that all that crap about the change in the effectiveness of exploding moves might change.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:21 PM   #1737
Slash
Poison Jam

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
I'd just like to point out the move's description:

Gastro Acid (PO) -- The user vomits on the opponent. Although no damage is dealt, the opponent will be so horrified that they will be unable to use any signature moves or techniques gained through their signatures for the remainder of the match. Type changes and other permanent alterations cannot be disabled this way. The user must expend a high amount of energy in order to perform this move.

That would seem to pretty plainly mean ones that have to be ordered, wouldn't it? Since passive things aren't so much being "used" so much as are just there

EDIT: also, that special training effects are not signature moves or techniques
As may be expected though, our clear winner here was Kairne, ASB's champion of prioritizing the pokemon you like over those that are objectively better. I mean, one of his mains is a Watchog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezey12 View Post
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.
Leader of the "Stop Screwing Over Smeargle" Brigade

ASB
Art by Kairne
ASB
[URL="http://forums.upnetwork.net/showthread.php?t=4387"]
Daisy Art:

Battlecuts courtesy of DaisyInari

Random stuffs:

Old 06-09-2015, 11:05 PM   #1738
Jerichi
本✚能

Hm actually yeah you're probably right about that.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:08 PM   #1739
Sneaze
#SWAG

Send a message via Skype™ to Sneaze
Just pointing out that "moves or techniques" becomes incredibly redundant if you're applying both terms to explicitly mean ordered attacks. I'd easily consider things like auras or whathaveyou as a technique, for example. In addition, the existence of the following sentence heavily implies that it can remove things other than attacks, so long as it isn't a permanent change that would drastically alter the way the Pokemon is (auras etc. fall into this as well).

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Whatever Sneasel says is right
Old 06-09-2015, 11:40 PM   #1740
Jerichi
本✚能

Surprise surprise an underused move really is in need of a rewrite.

気紛れを 許して 今更なんて思わずに急かしてよ
もっと中迄入って あたしの衝動を 突き動かしてよ

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 06-10-2015, 01:18 AM   #1741
Mercutio
Banned

Why can't we just make it say "Gastro Acid neutralises a Pokémon's signature for X rounds?" I'm aware of the common counter arguments but... really? Why not.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:00 AM   #1742
Slash
Poison Jam

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Do we really want a move that strips things like type-changes and size changes indiscriminately? Worms. Can.
As may be expected though, our clear winner here was Kairne, ASB's champion of prioritizing the pokemon you like over those that are objectively better. I mean, one of his mains is a Watchog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezey12 View Post
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.
Leader of the "Stop Screwing Over Smeargle" Brigade

ASB
Art by Kairne
ASB
[URL="http://forums.upnetwork.net/showthread.php?t=4387"]
Daisy Art:

Battlecuts courtesy of DaisyInari

Random stuffs:

Old 06-10-2015, 11:05 AM   #1743
Mercutio
Banned

Why not? We haven't implemented abilities for whatever reason, this is one alternative.

Another more sensible one would be to say that it neutralises any positive benefits gained through SC or sig without removing any neutral ones for X turns. So it stops a Haxorus dealing extra damage with face axes or stops Raikou from being super fast. Just accept that it's arbitrary, move on with your life, and we can all enjoy the benefits of Gastro Acid broadly as intended by Gamefreak.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:00 PM   #1744
Zelphon
Happy October

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Why not?
Type changes are often bound and given reason by things that are in no way linked to training of any kind, often having ties to genetics and other things.

It would make no sense for a pokemon born larger to suddenly shrink because of Gastro Acid, nore would it make sense for something with an unusual appendage to suddenly have a normal one.

I mean, if a proverbial Fire/Psychic Solrock existed and its body was made out of fire or some shit why on earth would it suddenly turn into rock?

Old 06-10-2015, 05:01 PM   #1745
Mercutio
Banned

Why not?
Old 06-10-2015, 05:03 PM   #1746
Emi
ACHILLESSSSS

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
But guys, Gastro Acid is useful!

Honestly I think the biggest issue right now is that Gastro Acid attempts to piecemeal everything and makes everything really confusing. Either make it affect everything or make it do something completely different. Kush's SC idea is cool.

Quote:
Zelphon - Today at 5:29 AM
If the current political climate has taught me anything
It's that a purge via gay witches may very well be necessary
Old 06-10-2015, 05:29 PM   #1747
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
tbh, I don't understand why it blocks sigs but not SCs in the first place. Should be either the other way round, or both.

EDIT: Also, this cropped up recently: Why does Rock Smash not have an average power?
C grade ref.

WF quest log here.

FB stuff here.

Last edited by Ironthunder; 06-12-2015 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:16 PM   #1748
dirkac
Did I f-f-fucking stutter

If you became a Referee before the overhaul, and you still haven't sent back your old Ref Test, is that old test still valid?
Old 06-14-2015, 05:37 PM   #1749
Jerichi
本✚能

Probably not; post in the Returning Refs thread to get a new test.

> EDIT: Also, this cropped up recently: Why does Rock Smash not have an average power?

Post in the Mew thread for these things.

気紛れを 許して 今更なんて思わずに急かしてよ
もっと中迄入って あたしの衝動を 突き動かしてよ

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 06-14-2015, 06:01 PM   #1750
ShuckTsubo
Boulder Badge

Mew thread?
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Suggestions and Inquiries