UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Suggestions and Inquiries

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 05:20 AM   #101
Sneaze
#SWAG

Send a message via Skype™ to Sneaze
Honestly the only real reason I can make out is to prevent people from borrowing SP and then using it to level immediately and pay back down the line. When honestly, that doesn't really make much sense to me. The levels as they stand are a bit skewed to begin with, and as Rangeet said, the SP is coming from somewhere. If they don't want to lend SP they really don't have to. On top of that, one of SP's original purposes was likely to help with that TP gap in higher levels as it continues to grow when one starts losing more battles but still needs to have that 3:1 TP:KO ratio. The thing that needs understood here is that SP to TP conversion was one of ASB's best gold sinks and taking that away and replacing it with some Tokens and Badges that (frankly) nobody really wants is not a good way of handling the fact that we needed a gold sink in the first place. Personally, I like to borrow SP and pay it back, because I know that I'll have more incentive to ref if I'm trying to pay someone back than if I'm just doing it to gain something for myself. On top of that, I like the idea of people being able to shell out SP aplenty to newbies who can't ref yet, knowing that they'll get paid back by said newbies when they start reffing.

I don't know, I kind of rambled and went off topic there, but I'm sure the answer to your question is likely in there somewhere.

Also, there really is no point in putting a cap on SP to TP conversion and preventing people from using it to level when that is literally the only reason that anyone would ever convert SP to TP.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Whatever Sneasel says is right

Last edited by Sneaze; 12-09-2013 at 05:25 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:47 AM   #102
Mercutio
Banned

No no they're good points which I wasn't unaware of, I was just trying to get you two to actually flesh out an argument before responding to it. Now, the economic changes that we brought in have only partially worked. I take most of that responsibility since I wrote most of it, and it needs fixing up. Much of the purchasable stuff is either perceived as not worth buying or not worth saving up for. So as well as playing about with that, we're already reviewing things like conversion rates, trade limits and other new ideas that will engineer things the way we want them to go. If I can get away with achieving the culture I want without keeping these fairly harsh limits on people, I'll do it. But the thing about the argument that giving newbies SP is good is all very well until people like you choose not to pay your loans back. That's not on. This illustrates the point that any new or restored rights that we give you have to be paired with responsibilities. Many people through their own stupidity have burned large amounts of TP just to buy more slots and have then come crying to us when they can't reach TL5 until they win like 30 battles. I'm not inclined to reward people for being short sighted. See also: why we've not given you back an extra battle slot and why we're not letting people be on multiple gym queues.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:52 AM   #103
Sneaze
#SWAG

>until people like you choose not to pay your loans back

...wut. Last I checked I've paid all of my loans back in pretty good time, and if not then with interest.

>I'm not inclined to reward people for being short sighted

Oh, I agree with the idea of not burning through TP for SP things, but, isn't that kind of why it cost 5 TP for 1 SP anyway, to dissuade such things?

>This illustrates the point that any new or restored rights that we give you have to be paired with responsibilities

I agree, but as is you've placed large restrictions on everyone as opposed to setting up a system where restrictions are placed only on those who don't follow through with their responsibilities. I think that the system I proposed would be good for that, since the rate at which things are reset entirely depends on the person themselves, and if someone takes an excessively long time to pay someone back, perhaps there can be something that helps the person who originally set the loan.

Quote:
Old 12-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #104
Mercutio
Banned

Maybe it wasn't you, there was someone who owed about 15 SP to various people and chose to spend anything he earned on levelling and slots instead of paying back. I am not ok with this.

Yeah the choice between policy instruments is something I consider a lot having done a Master's in it. You're probably right that the balance needs changing.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:10 AM   #105
Sneaze
#SWAG

>Maybe it wasn't you, there was someone who owed about 15 SP to various people and chose to spend anything he earned on levelling and slots instead of paying back. I am not ok with this.

Oh, yeah. I recall owing Daisy and Dave each a bit of SP back when I was shooting for my Gym and they each had around 100 SP. I didn't spend any on slots (aside from the original SP I had borrowed from Dave since that was it's purpose) but I do recall spending a small bit on leveling some 'mon. Either way I didn't take all too long paying either back (I think I took two months to pay back Dave and felt super horrible for it being that long) and I made sure to do so long before they actually needed the SP.

But yes, I can easily see why you would say that kind of thing would be bad, and like I said, under the system I proposed, I wouldn't be able to do much more borrowing unless I did paying back, as opposed to the current system where if one just waits long enough they're in the clear to borrow more... which seems... unfair.

Quote:
Old 12-09-2013, 06:18 AM   #106
Mercutio
Banned

Well it was intended to be a disincentive so that works out pretty well. I'd be more inclined to just create an ASB bank that you could loan from than to create exceptions to existing rules because people didn't manage their trading well but perhaps something like what you suggest is workable.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #107
Sneaze
#SWAG

I meant unfair to those loaning out as opposed to those asking for a loan. Since it clears after six months whether you pay back the loan or not it makes it so that it's possible for someone to just wait six months and ask for another loan without paying back the previous people. ...granted they'll quickly become known as the person who doesn't pay back loans, but that's really not the way the system should work.

Quote:
Old 12-09-2013, 06:26 AM   #108
Mercutio
Banned

It's funny. Economics is like reading tea leaves, really, and most economists can't predict with real accuracy anything more than a few months in to the future. Our little microcosm has its own variables and nuances that can lead down all these little tracks.

Of course in the ASB I can just take all your SP and give it back to people you took it from. So.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #109
Lil'twick
Gay Demon Prince

Send a message via Skype™ to Lil'twick
Wow, this place is pretty dead. Anyways, would a Taunt make it so that Sandstorm isn't used? I know this is a stupid question but I'm just double checking.

Ghost Legion
Hawke | Austin T. Willows

Old 12-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #110
Mercutio
Banned

Sort of borderline because sandstorm damages indirectly. Ref's discretion but I I personally would ref Taunt as working.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #111
EmeraldGoblin
Banned

Dq is not an ambigous rule. What is the official dq rules?
Old 12-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #112
Mercutio
Banned

In announcements. And also in the match of yours I posted them in.

Yes yes we should put them on the site.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #113
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
With the introduction of Fairy-type are there now no dual typing without weaknesses?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #114
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Um, I don't think so. Fairy isn't in ASB yet, we're waiting on veekun to get pokebank stuff and we also still have a few bits and pieces to do ourselves before gen VI can make an appearance.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #115
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
There were never any dual-types with no weakness. Ghost isn't immune to Fighting.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #116
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
There were never any dual-types with no weakness. Ghost isn't immune to Fighting.
Ghost/Dark type-changes were banned from PASBL during GSC, because even if you use Fighting-type energy while the Pokemon is ethereal it's still a massive advantage to have no other weaknesses. There was only one Pokemon in the league that was allowed that combination and it was grandfathered in. I look at Sableye and he's 100% physical to block out the phase change advantages of other ghosts, which makes sense given how ridiculously OP that is.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #117
Vye
Cascade Badge

Question on Miracle Eye. Can that make it so psychic abilities effect ghost types as well or is it purely only dark-types/accuracy?

Last edited by Vye; 12-23-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:54 AM   #118
Mercutio
Banned

Yeah that type change is no longer banned. Amd that isn't why we made it perma solid.

Why?
Old 12-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #119
Jerichi
本✚能

> Question on Miracle Eye. Can that make it so psychic abilities effect ghost types as well or is it purely only dark-types/accuracy?

That rule has basically been done away with. The only thing they can't be effected by in non-solid states is Telekinesis and telekinetic Psychic. Therefore, Foresight is what you need to use to force them to be solid, not Miracle Eye.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #120
Toyo
melon doggo

Quick question on the elemental punches: Will going ethereal with a ghost affect their damages? I remember something a long while ago that said that they'd take some damage from the typed stuff but I'd like to be sure.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:19 AM   #121
Mercutio
Banned

They'll end up taking less damage.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #122
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Anyway, Dopple, to answer your real question, yes, Fairy's addition to the type chart makes it so that there isn't a single type combination with no weaknesses.

(As a footnote, Electric with Levitate/Magnet Rise still grants you no weaknesses ingame. Outside of Gravity/Smack Down.)
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #123
Vye
Cascade Badge

In regards to the move curse, if used by a ghost-type....
would previous heal over time effects remain useless after the ghost uses curse?

like if there's a leech-seed on an opponent, would leech seed not heal the ghost who used curse anymore? Or involving pain split, the heal over time effect of that move be useless now?
Old 12-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #124
Jerichi
本✚能

I'd say things that passively heal (Drain Punch, Leech Seed, etc.) or long-term healing (Aqua Ring) wouldn't stop healing; you just can't use Moonlight or Recover or something explicit like that.

気紛れを 許して 今更なんて思わずに急かしてよ
もっと中迄入って あたしの衝動を 突き動かしてよ

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 12-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #125
deh74
~Smelly cat, smelly cat~

Is smog flammable?

Check out my PASBL stuff!
Former C+ Grade ref, currently ungraded.

Need a battle reffed? PM me.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Suggestions and Inquiries