UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Suggestions and Inquiries

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 04:39 PM   #726
Zelphon
Happy October

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
So I just got to TL2, do the level 1 pokemon used in the battle that resulted in my level increase also go up, or does the TL increasing battle not count towards pokemon leveling?
Old 06-04-2014, 04:54 PM   #727
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
All the Pokémon you have in your squad level up when you do. Uplevels become Level 3, everything else Level 2, and you get three extra slots to add Pokémon that are legal at TL2, though they must start at Level 1 and be in their basic form (if applicable).

To level up new additions they have to be on your team (not necessarily used) in a battle, upon completion they gain one level.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #728
Zelphon
Happy October

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
Yay, thank ya kindly.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:52 AM   #729
Ex-Admiral Insane
Marsh Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Ex-Admiral Insane
So it’s been mentioned a few times that a lot of us newer refs are a bit too strict with the whole math idea of ASB and that we don’t always ref the battle at a nice natural flow. I’m somewhat keen to agree that some of us (myself included), don’t always ref a nice battle and that we seemingly ignore aspects of partial hits, idle dodging and the like. Next to that, we all know a lot of newcomers make the mistake of thinking attacks in ASB work the same as in the games or that a status effect has the same properties. The things is that we probably don’t know where to look as a lot of inner details you need to know or are constantly referred to at times are scattered across the forum. Not to mention that some are just not findable in the first place.

Small Backstory/General Idea why I’m asking this
Spoiler: show
I had purposefully waited a little longer than others before deciding to take a ref test. This was for personal reasons because I wanted to understand the ASB mechanics better before taking the responsibility of getting to decide what’s what. Come the ref test, the extra waiting time helped jack squat. There tend to be a few unwritten rules that we live by but you must have heard of before so that you’d take them into account. For eg, nowhere can I seem to find that evolved Pokémon gain a slight boost to power. Could just be me that I’m overlooking it every time but I’m having trouble with it. It was also a few weeks after the ref test that I had heard of the fact that Water Types get Ice familiarity. It is a few weeks later after that I get to hear pure Water Types get slightly more water energy then dual Water Types. Only a few weeks ago did I get to hear that the reverse is true as well; Ice gets Water familiarity. A few weeks before that I find out that Ground types get Rock familiarity. Yet these things aren’t written in the Type SC (I’m not sure if you’re adding these changes btw). And there are probably a few other rulings I’m still going to have to figure out for myself.

Anyway, the other problem I had is that though I had heard of familiarity before, I had no idea what it exactly entailed. Getting more energy is the rough idea? If you ask how much, the first response is “ref’s discretion” or “thiiiiiiis much” or whatever. Great and thanks for answering I guess, but had no one else mentioned how much it really was, I might have given the mon 4 HB of the off-type energy. I didn’t need to be told exactly how much it was but getting to hear “can be anything from 2 Ice Beams to 2 Ice Beams and a Blizzard, ref’s discretion” is a great guideline I can work with. Same thing happened to me with boosting moves. The first time I reffed Swords Dance I nearly had it give a 25% boost to attack. Thank god someone intervened to tell me it was about this much. Now the other day I tried to ask how weight would exactly affect weight-dependent attacks like Stomp and Body Slam. It sort of got misinterpreted as that I was looking for some weight-formula that would define the damage and I got the same answer of “ref’s discretion”. The thing is, I don’t need someone to tell me that it does X amount of damage or anything but getting a few examples of what would be roughly correct would help. Hell, even having someone tell me “if you’re having Body Slam deal more than 1 HB of damage, you’re doing something wrong” would go a long way. Otherwise I might as well have an Aggron’s Stomp OHKO a Caterpie.

The Dummies Guide to Reffing or the Guidelines for Ref School Applicants thread is slightly outdated. Concept made a nice post in the announcement thread that detailed some of the finer inner workings of reffing. Unfortunately there are a few more posts in the announcement thread that detail how it should be reffed. (Almost every newcomer has to be told personally what HB means and how much you get of health and energy.) I get that we’re supposed to make the effort to go through all the changes and rulings ourselves but it becomes a bit frustrating at times if you have to go to this place for this, then that place for that. I use the announcement thread to check on Ghost SC’s, Veekun if the Pokémon can order it in the first place, PASBL Site for attack descriptions and other SC, Move Errata to check for possible new descriptions, Status Guide to double check for effects, Damage/Energy thread to double check correct terms and probably a few others things as well that I can’t think of now.

Bottom line of what I want to ask,
A) Some rulings that you should take note of aren’t exactly defined anywhere. Or at least not anywhere that’s easy to find/intuitive. Can things such as Ice familiarity for Waters be posted somewhere? (At least to make it easier for the newcomers who already have trouble knowing how many thunderbolts they can use in the first place.) It's a bit annoying to hear you're reffing this and this wrong only because those rules haven't been written down anywhere.
B) Some rulings are scattered across the forum at times (multiple posts in the Announcement Thread - some of which take precedence over earlier posts, some posts in Suggestions and Inquiries, Guide to Damage/Energy, Guide to Statuses, etc). Can the battling mechanics be summarized in the ‘Getting Started Thread’? Or at least be placed in a full list of links at the bottom? And can the reffing mechanics be summarized in a Reffing Thread?
C) Can, for a few of these rulings, some examples be given on how to properly ref them? It doesn´t have to be too exact. Just to give a general idea on how it works so that no one accidentally has an attack deal thrice the damage it should. It’s easier than having to scavenge through old battles until you find an example with which to work with.

ASB Profile
Fizzy Bubbles Profile|Wishlist Post
Wild Future

Fizzy Bubbles Team:
Adventure:
Base:
Transport:
Communication:
Dragons:
Draconid Monsters:

Last edited by Ex-Admiral Insane; 06-05-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:09 AM   #730
Mercutio
Banned

Yeah we've been saying we wanted this for a year but it's not a priority over other big projects at present. The problem is that the people with the time to do it aren't up to date on what current rules actually are and the people hat are don't have the time or inclination.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:11 AM   #731
KamenAeons
What are you looking at?

Is the general idea of tiredness that if the Pokemon has blown through 2 HBs of energy within 3 rounds, they'd be tired? I can never get my head around that concept.

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:30 AM   #732
Mercutio
Banned

So health and energy are finite resources. You take enough damage, you use enough energy, you faint.

Tiredness is a much more abstract thing that happens much more quickly than straight up running out of energy but also goes away much faster than taking a Fire Blast to the face. Tiredness is the ability for your pokémon to react to threats more rapidly, the ability to charge attacks quicker, to do more things at once, etc. The more damage you take and energy you use, you'll experience a greater short term tiredness effect. A Pikachu that has used half its energy can still use a three mover, but it'll take longer to do it than if it did it at the start of the match and it'll feel much worse for doing it. Similarly, a Pikachu that takes a Steelix's EQ to the face will be slower to react in the immediate aftermath than before hand. But whilst in a round's time it'll have recovered from that somewhat, its health will still be as low.

This is a very rough and simple version of it.

Last edited by Mercutio; 06-05-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:35 PM   #733
EmeraldGoblin
Banned

Does foresight trump Gastly's SC on solid or does Gastly's SC on solid trump foresight?

Gastly (Ghost/Poison): Gastly is essentially living gas and as such can never attain a solid state. It is gaseous by default but can become ethereal or invisible. When invisible, Gastly remains gaseous and does not enter a physical state. Despite being locked out of the physical state, it takes only 10% extra damage from special moves instead of the usual amounts. Its flight ceiling is quite low, about as high as a trainer's waist height. As a trade-off for its near complete physical immunity, it remains the one of the slowest ghosts.

Foresight (NO) -- The user shoots out a red beam from its eyes, using good energy to fill the arena with the light, which fades immediately. Double Team, Invisibility, etc. will prove to be worthless, and the user of Substitute will be shown, among other effects. Ghosts will be physical for the duration of Foresight. The effects of Foresight last for 7-10 rounds, regardless of whether the user is switched or KO'd.

If the wording was "It can never attain solid states via natural means" sure foresight could trump it. However, as it stands, the wording never in the gastly SC seems to be much stronger than the wording for foresight

Unless.. physical =/= solid.. in which case what does physical mean in terms of ghost and states?
Old 06-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #734
Mercutio
Banned

Foresight will render them visible and unable to phase through stuff but they will not actually be physical.

Also foresight will be rewritten.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #735
EmeraldGoblin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Foresight will render them visible and unable to phase through stuff but they will not actually be physical.

Also foresight will be rewritten.
thanks for clarifying <.<''
Old 06-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #736
EmeraldGoblin
Banned

I have had GLs jokingly state that they would make me face the GT (lol)

Could it be codified that TL above 2 do not need to face the GT?
Old 06-05-2014, 07:00 PM   #737
Mercutio
Banned

Gym Leaders may only force challengers to fight TL1 trainers, TL2 trainers and EG.
Spike: EG does not have to face GTs.
Enjoy.

EDIT: Not that I'm actually an LO any more but this is supposed to read

"Gym Leaders may only force challengers to fight Gym Trainers if they are TL1 trainers, TL2 trainers or EG.
Spike: EG does not have to face GTs.
Enjoy.

Last edited by Mercutio; 07-28-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:21 PM   #738
EmeraldGoblin
Banned

Body Slam (XX) -- The user runs towards the opponent and throws their full body weight at them. "Paralysis" only occurs if the user weighs significantly more than the opponent, and they are pinned underneath, with a varying chance of escaping. Paralysis can also come from severe damage from the attack, referee's discretion.

Two pokemon that weight the same and are the same size.... the description trumps paralysis, right?
Old 06-08-2014, 06:47 PM   #739
Mercutio
Banned

The attack explicitly states that it's at ref's discretion. Have you spoken to your ref?
Old 06-08-2014, 06:53 PM   #740
EmeraldGoblin
Banned

Quote:
The attack explicitly states that it's at ref's discretion. Have you spoken to your ref?
The way its worded, it also states severe damage from the attack, weight difference, and landing on top are all needed together or synergisticly to archive paralysis. Slapping ref's discretion at the end doesn't mean anything if the description preceding is very clear as what it needs to archive said paralysis and the degree of freedom given seems to come about how he interprets the difference among the three factors. That being said, I have spoken to the ref after the SI posting, he said to wait on a ruling.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:56 PM   #741
Slash
Poison Jam

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Quote:
I think that was the ruling
Old 06-08-2014, 06:57 PM   #742
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Body Slam (XX) -- The user runs towards the opponent and throws their full body weight at them. "Paralysis" only occurs if the user weighs significantly more than the opponent, and they are pinned underneath, with a varying chance of escaping. Paralysis can also come from severe damage from the attack, referee's discretion.

Also 'severe damage' does not exactly refer to the damage scale in this instance, same for many archaic attack descriptions.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:57 PM   #743
EmeraldGoblin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post

Also 'severe damage' does exactly refer to the damage scale in this instance, same for many archaic attack descriptions.
So body slam deals... 13 units..... You sure you want that on paper?

While we are at it... can you quantify the word hate in the bug description?

[Bug]: Bugs can, in most case, see in the dark. While most live in warm climates, they hate fire, and dislike cold.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:58 PM   #744
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

...No...?
Old 06-08-2014, 06:59 PM   #745
Mercutio
Banned

Well your ref is clearly an idiot. If the attack dralt severe damage then paralysis is fair game. Otherwise they'd better have a damn good reason for calling paralysis.

Of course I have no way of knowing this because noone can be fucked to post a link to the match.

Dave, EG, take your bickering outside noone cares.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:00 PM   #746
EmeraldGoblin
Banned

Quote:
...No...?
that is what you just did then. Now, is this a case of ref determined that severe damage comes from two round balls, of the same size, one body slammed the other, and severe damage was caused plus paralysis. If I'm jotting this all down correctly, I just want to make sure for when I ref it.

EDIT: Its in reference between these two pokemon: both quilladin.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #747
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Quote:

Also 'severe damage' does not exactly refer to the damage scale in this instance, same for many archaic attack descriptions.
Reading!
Old 06-08-2014, 07:04 PM   #748
EmeraldGoblin
Banned

Quote:

Reading!
Policy states to go by description though. Or can I just assume all of the attack scales are off?
Old 06-08-2014, 07:07 PM   #749
Mercutio
Banned

EG either post a link to the battle or get out.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:08 PM   #750
EmeraldGoblin
Banned

Quote:
EG either post a link to the battle or get out.
Post 746: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...5#post17213815
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Suggestions and Inquiries