UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Suggestions and Inquiries

Old 12-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
Mercutio
Banned

Lilligant Activity

Right. I'm sure there is some kind of plan to redirect the league but I'm not privy to it and I want attention.

Suggestions? I say that we alter the UPn to Serebii balance. We create a new SP shop (which I'm currently working on) and keep it on UPN, but we put gyms and tournaments on Serebii. We also make it so that people have to have at least two matches on either forum and say that gym leaders must have a defenc in Serebii running at all times.

What else?
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
I'm sure there is some kind of plan to redirect the league but I'm not privy to it.
Right you are!

A few ideas have been floating round LO parts for months, but suggestions welcome though I suppose. Don't get too into it though, half the point of LO's is that we can do all the annoying arguing out of pros and cons and balance and suchlike and let the ASB at large get on with the interesting bits (battling and reffing).

Last edited by Concept; 12-10-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
By "floating round the LO parts" that is rather in the way that lilly pads float around a pond, it doesn't exactly mean they get anywhere in a hurry.
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Well quite, but Kush!threads will do jack squat about that :p
Old 12-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
I think what we could really do with is some sort of "Are you new here? Click here and all shall be explained." As far as possible, it needs to be the first thing someone coming to the subforum sees. It needs to lead to a post/thread that concisely explains everything ASB is about. And it needs to be updated to be always relevant. I feel that I COULD write such a post, but I'll leave it to those better qualified.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
The whole forum on Serebii just looks dead. I mean, we still have the ABL v Mozz match stickied (last moved: 2009) stickied. The last announcement on there was April 2011 and barring Shadow's admirable experiments and some newbie battles, sod all happens there.
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
Slash
Poison Jam

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Merc, you know I love you, but those ideas are horrible. Serebii is user-unfriendly, ugly, takes forever to load, has absurd censors, hates people adding images to posts, is colour-unfriendly, and is just in general a pain in the arse to deal with. Making even more mandatory involvement there isn't going to make people like it more, it will really piss people off. People already get upset that we have it enforced that to have four regular slots, one must be on Serebii, we shouldn't compound the issue to even greater lengths.

As far as Gym Defenses goes, some are on SPPf, some are on UPN, and I think it's fine as is. I'll say that if I had to always have one Defense on Serebii, it would probably be directly tied to my subsequent resignation from The Colony and The Combeenation Gym, because checking the Serebii Gym Forum is such a chore, and the aforementioned lack of being user-friendly and taking longer to load just makes everything even worse. If you want more activity on SPPf, it's the carrot, and not the stick, that should be the approach. New SP shop on Serebii only? I like the idea. Cross-posting tourney matches on UPN to SPPf so newer folk can read it and take in the wonder? Glorious. Cross-posting legend matches? Excellent idea. Giving the legend challenger the choice of UPN or SPPf for the battle? Maybe even better. But it should be done through reinforcement, not more restriction.
As may be expected though, our clear winner here was Kairne, ASB's champion of prioritizing the pokemon you like over those that are objectively better. I mean, one of his mains is a Watchog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezey12 View Post
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.
Leader of the "Stop Screwing Over Smeargle" Brigade

ASB
Spoiler: show
Art by Kairne
ASB
[URL="http://forums.upnetwork.net/showthread.php?t=4387"]
Daisy Art:

Battlecuts courtesy of DaisyInari

Random stuffs:

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
Mercutio
Banned

People who are legitimately that bothered about using Serebii should probably grow up. And you're missing the point, which is that that is where all the newbies come from. And what they come to is a wasteland.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
Mercutio
Banned

And you'll forgive me if I have little faith in the collective momentum ofte LOs.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Duly forgiven.

And Kairne, there's nothing we can do about the things you don't like about SPPf (given we don't run the board) and half your suggestions for enticing people over there are already in place (tourney was almost entirely there, we've had legend matches over there, so on) and did precisely diddly squat. Not entirely sure why we'd suddenly expect those to work now given they we just did them and we are where we are.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #11
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Post an announcement there saying something like "we'll pay you 10 SP if you move to UPN," kind of like what the government does for people moving to Alaska. The best part is that we're not running on a gold standard (I hope) so we can just print more SP. It's a flawless plan, I tell you.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #12
Jerichi
本✚能

Kuno will not be in the upcoming tourney so there will be no issue with a totally SPPf tourney.

Also I'd like it if leaders moved at least one match onto SPPf.

And as much as we all pretty collectively hate Serebii, it is what keeps this league alive. If we don't keep SPPf healthy, we're not going to have any league at all. Every single one of us in this thread came off Serebii and that's the only place we're going to get any new members.

I'm gonna see if I can find some more mod powers and get Serebii cleaned up. It is in desperate need of it.

気紛れを 許して 今更なんて思わずに急かしてよ
もっと中迄入って あたしの衝動を 突き動かしてよ

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #13
Haymez
Decidedly Epic

Send a message via Skype™ to Haymez
I think holding a tourney on SPPf would go a long way toward bringing in new members. As it stands potential recruits show up and see a pile of old or abandoned matches. Having an active tournament there would show that stuff is happening, and people will be more likely to join.

I also think Rangeet's suggestion is a good idea, a post describing what everything is and how it works. I remember when I joined earlier this year that the toughest thing for me was figuring out how everything worked. A post like that would have been very beneficial.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #14
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haymez View Post
I also think Rangeet's suggestion is a good idea, a post describing what everything is and how it works. I remember when I joined earlier this year that the toughest thing for me was figuring out how everything worked. A post like that would have been very beneficial.
Thirding this vote. Back when I first joined (oh so long ago), I spent months making sure I wouldn't make a mistake by reading all the text over, and over, and over, and over...

A single post with pointers and guidelines would go a huge way to making things easier to explain.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #15
Jerichi
本✚能

I like writing FAQs and whatnot (and have written a few for the ASB), so I could do it at some point once I get the more pressing matters sorted.

気紛れを 許して 今更なんて思わずに急かしてよ
もっと中迄入って あたしの衝動を 突き動かしてよ

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 12-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #16
Sneaze
#SWAG

Send a message via Skype™ to Sneaze
One of the most active points I can remember was when JSfSN was still around. Just throwing that out there.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Whatever Sneasel says is right
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #17
Jerichi
本✚能

Yeah, I'll take a look at JSfSN and try to revise it, maybe post it in the main forums somewhere.

I wonder if I can get someone to make a permanent announcement.

EDIT: Oh hey neat I never knew I had ModCP access at Serebii. I'll put an announcement when I write something.

気紛れを 許して 今更なんて思わずに急かしてよ
もっと中迄入って あたしの衝動を 突き動かしてよ

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 12-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #18
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
The best way to do it would, honestly, be if everyone hung out there for a while. The folks at UPN are better and more articulate than all the newbies in SPPf, so we kind of have an obligation to lead by example.

Yes, SPPf sucks, it's sucked for its entire existence. But, we can either continue to dawdle over here and let PASBL continue to be in a downturn or put up with it to stimulate activity. Think of it as investing in the infrastructure, if you will.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #19
Jerichi
本✚能

Goddammit if I had the right mod powers I'd open a new TO and we can have a party over there.

気紛れを 許して 今更なんて思わずに急かしてよ
もっと中迄入って あたしの衝動を 突き動かしてよ

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 12-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #20
Mercutio
Banned

Sound words Tdos.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #21
Jerichi
本✚能

Okay, I'm gonna backburner some of the tourney stuff for the moment and concentrate on getting newbie stuff done.

That said, what kinds of topics should I hit on for the FAQ? Should I do a step-by-step that JSfSN was or should I give links and general guidelines?

気紛れを 許して 今更なんて思わずに急かしてよ
もっと中迄入って あたしの衝動を 突き動かしてよ

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 12-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #22
Mercutio
Banned

JSfSN?
Old 12-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #23
Jerichi
本✚能

Jeri's School for Silly Newbies.

気紛れを 許して 今更なんて思わずに急かしてよ
もっと中迄入って あたしの衝動を 突き動かしてよ

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 12-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #24
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
While I liked JSfSN Jeri, one thing I might say is that it was a bit long. A lot of newbies aren't going to pay attention and read all of it, so making it more concise would help out. Some sort of middle ground between that and simple bullet-points would be nice.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #25
Mercutio
Banned

Oh that.

Er. The UPN Gym Queue (which we should put on Serebii and close on here)?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Suggestions and Inquiries