UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 07-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

AKB0048

In the beginning of the 21st century, a world war breaks out over interplanetary travel tech. The environment is pretty much destroyed so mankind leaves Earth, settling on other planets, and starts Star Calendar 00.

Entertainment and songs become heavily regulated and eventually banned on several planets due to their power to move people, but a brave idol group puts on guerrilla performances in these systems in the name of a famous act from earlier times that sang to Earth's bitter end, AKB48. Famous throughout the galaxy, the group's name is AKB0048.

This story centers around a group of girls from various planets, some where entertainment is banned and some, where it is not, striving to become great idols and join AKB0048.
Therefore, they participate in the entrance exam and eventually become undergraduates, aiming to someday succeed the current members of the group.

Source: Crunchyroll (via MyAnimeList)
kaisap112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

So this thread is a bit late since the first season ended yesterday, but here goes!

Before I started watching this anime, I knew only vaguely what AKB48 was. A large-scale group of girls who sing and dance but had somehow gotten popular in Japan over the years. Then I started watching AKB0048 because I was curious and my demise followed swiftly.

First of all, to all those thinking "oh, another Idolmaster!": this show is not Idolmaster.

Spoiler: show
Don't believe me? Try this musical number on for size. Yes, mecha, guns, battles. When the description talks about guerilla performances, that's what AKB0048 concerts on planets under the Entertainment Ban are. And the example clip is only the selection round for the new understudies.

Like the real AKB48, AKB0048 has a large cast. This might seem a bit confusing at first, but after a few episodes you'll know exactly who's who - as well as who you love and who you hate. And then some of you will go look up the real-life members, turn into total fans and continue converting more people.

The first season has 13 episodes and it has already been confirmed that a second season is coming in 2013.

So if you're looking for catchy music that's not about "sex, drugs and how I hate the world", flashy action and lots of cute girls, look no further. Yours truly actually cried a whole lot while watching since she found it so moving (although that might not be a recommendation to some people).

PS. If you don't know who Atsuko Maeda is after watching this show, shame on you.

Last edited by kaisap112; 07-23-2012 at 02:43 PM.
kaisap112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

As probably the only other person watching this, I guess it's my obligation to say something. Though this statement could be thrown at me for my lack of participation in the Space Brothers thread.

Anyway, I started AKB0048 because it supposedly had an all-star VA cast and there was a bunch of attention on the show before it started. My expectations were low, but my curiosity was high. I haven't watched the last episode yet, since I still have yet to dig through my weekend show spam. However, the show was only okay for me until Kanata starts growing. I don't particularly care for Kanata, but it does seem to be a point in which the show improves. The episode where the understudies go on this snowy planet is a particularly good episode. I might have dropped this show earlier on if it wasn't for Chieri.

There's a bunch of very silly details about the show. While they don't really bother me that much, they're still enough to put a dent in my overall impression of the show. One thing that bugs me is how they send the idols to fight when enemies attack outside of concerts, potentially ruining future concerts. I know they're using it to make the girls look cool and as something to bring a dramatic moment when one gets injured, but it's still really really silly.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

I'm dusting off this thread, because AKB0048 Next Stage has arrived.

Saw the first episode of it just now, without subs, so I didn't understand the dialog very well, but damn does it look good. More detailed posting once the fansub is out.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Watched the first episode of the second season myself. It's still pretty dumb. Despite that, I still kinda enjoyed it. One plus is it's really flashy eyecandy. Actually I'm surprised they could keep up the budget. I didn't think the first season made that much.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
Watched the first episode of the second season myself. It's still pretty dumb. Despite that, I still kinda enjoyed it. One plus is it's really flashy eyecandy. Actually I'm surprised they could keep up the budget. I didn't think the first season made that much.
With AKB48's popularity already established, I'm not all that surprised the anime got a new season.

I'm using the show as reference so I don't have to browse through hundreds of AKB-songs - the show uses all the best ones as far as I can tell.

Bet people will still complain about the CG though. >.>
Old 01-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #7
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Because you posted it, I think I'll complain about the CGI. It just isn't animated very well, although it's really curious what the studio did with it to blend in the hand-animated parts with the cel shading.

I can testify that it looks less "3D" than the PreCure EDs, but it's less pretty to look at.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #8
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Is it just me, or is the second season trying harder to blatantly promote AKB? There have been some things here and there that have started bugging me. Like during the last episode the girls went out of their way to announce that they're not allowed to go out with anyone. It wasn't much, because I just shrugged it off as them messing with the guards. Though the next episode when they did the handshake event thing, this guy just suddenly grabbed Nagisa's hand, and they acted like it was nothing. It kind of weirded me out.

I'm still entertained by the show. It's just that after the first few episodes of the second season, I started learning a bit more about AKB out of curiosity. I realized that their marketing is sleazy to say the least. Like the handshake events are only allowed to people who buy the same CD 10 times after a release. I'm starting to see this anime as part of their sleazy marketing.

For good things...I don't mind the CGI atleast?

Last edited by big bad birtha; 01-22-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:21 AM   #9
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Is it just me, or is the second season trying harder to blatantly promote AKB? There have been some things here and there that have started bugging me. Like during the last episode the girls went out of their way to announce that they're not allowed to go out with anyone. It wasn't much, because I just shrugged it off as them messing with the guards. Though the next episode when they did the handshake event thing, this guy just suddenly grabbed Nagisa's hand, and they acted like it was nothing. It kind of weirded me out.

I'm still entertained by the show. It's just that after the first few episodes of the second season, I started learning a bit more about AKB out of curiosity. I realized that their marketing is sleazy to say the least. Like the handshake events are only allowed to people who buy the same CD 10 times after a release. I'm starting to see this anime as part of their sleazy marketing.

For good things...I don't mind the CGI atleast?
The no-dating-policy is real, but I believe it's mostly to avoid scandals and "tarnishing" the prim and proper image of idols. AKB48 isn't the only idol/idol group to use this policy, it's pretty much commonplace in Japan.

I've seen people describe this anime as the production team's "love letter" to AKB48, and with all the details and references to the real band, it's hard to say that it's just thrown together like a salad by a marketing team for easy cash.

The access to handshaking events happens through getting a limited edition ticket from a CD - but you only need one. Hardcore fans are the ones who buy 10 CDs, then go shake the hand of one member, get back in line, handshake someone else, rinse and repeat. The voting for the General Election also works through buying CDs (I'm fairly sure the system works digitally as well): you get one vote per purchase. Again, this system can be abused by borderline-crazy fans with disposable income, but buying multiple CDs is by no means mandatory.

It's also good to remember that ABK48's very beginning was a group of girls giving out free tickets to their concerts because there was pretty much no audience; the very first AKB48-live had only seven people in the audience watching (this is also the basis for the lyrics of Pioneer, performed in the first episode of Next Stage). Now they're the biggest and most famous idol group in Japan, and a status like that doesn't come easily no matter how big a marketing team one might or might not have.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #10
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

AKB0048 continued today, with a new development I know at least some people are happy about.
Yuuko won the Election, but somehow two of the understudies made it to the Top 10. I had a tiny fear that Nagisa would win the Election or get a Top 10 spot out of the blue, but luckily the show didn't go that far. Nagisa's still probably the most under-developed character in the show, closer to an immersion-MC ("I have no personality, so you can put yourself in my shoes") than a formidable main character. I'm aware there's an attempt to lead her to becoming Acchan the 14th, but I'm still far more insterested in Chieri and the other girls.

I'm curious as to which songs will be performed in the anime next. UZA was released last fall, but would the admittedly dark tone go well in this series? Niji no Ressha is a new song from NO NAME and that got featured in the very first Next Stage episode, so a new AKB-song wouldn't be a total surprise. I'm also curious who the girls will eventually succeed - will anyone become the new Mariko-sama?
Old 01-31-2013, 07:09 AM   #11
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

As the no-dating policy was brought up fairly recently, here's a bit of news I'd like to share on the topic.

Minegishi Minami from Team B ended up in the news today for having been caught after spending the night with a guy. She ended up shaving her head without consulting anyone about this (Japanese way of atoning for things, as I recall), and the big decision makers of AKB decided to demote her into what the anime refers to as an understudy (kenkyusei) because of the "nuisance she caused to the fans".

She is still a member of AKB48 and has a chance to get back up the ladder, like Akimoto Sayaka did after her scandal, but this goes to show that the no-dating policy is no joke.

Causing nuisance is also a term I keep hearing, and even Maeda Atsuko's graduation from the group was, in her own words, due to causing trouble and nuisance to other members, staff and the fans. I don't recall a single Western artist doing things like this, so it may seem harsh to a lot of people unfamiliar with this topic, but it's how the idol industry works. Shaving their heads is by no means the worst option idols have resorted to over the years because of exhaustion and different pressures.

I personally hope Minami will be forgiven by the fans and can reach her former position again in the future. I doubt this will have effect on the anime, as the Minami of the anime is a side character; namely, the green-haired photographer lady who ran away from the group after she became Center Nova.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:19 AM   #12
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I look forward to them hopefully referencing what happened to her.

This week's episode was one of the better ones. The "even though you're a failure, you're still very honest about it!" was actually kinda nice.

Also I recently came across a doujin about this show which I think is worth noting. Actually I think it's the only scanned AKB0048 doujin. Anyway, the first half is a typical GRape doujin. Though things become awesome when the girls are rescued. Centernova beauty comes to save the day!(I cut off the top part of the page because it's naughty naughty) After that, it's just her doing weird shit and spitting on Nagisa for whatever reason. I've seen characters drawn like that, and I need to look up what it's a reference of.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:26 AM   #13
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I have never seen that drawing style in a doujin before and I pray I never will. >_<
Talon87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #14
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
I look forward to them hopefully referencing what happened to her.

This week's episode was one of the better ones. The "even though you're a failure, you're still very honest about it!" was actually kinda nice.

Also I recently came across a doujin about this show which I think is worth noting. Actually I think it's the only scanned AKB0048 doujin. Anyway, the first half is a typical GRape doujin. Though things become awesome when the girls are rescued. Centernova beauty comes to save the day!(I cut off the top part of the page because it's naughty naughty) After that, it's just her doing weird shit and spitting on Nagisa for whatever reason. I've seen characters drawn like that, and I need to look up what it's a reference of.
I'm not sure how, but I just knew X was going to be the main girl of the episode. It's great that girls other than Nagisa and Chieri are getting some attention now.
Makoto missing the switch on the epic first try was brilliant. I haven't laughed that hard at AKB0048 before!

Can't wait to get a Shizuko-episode though...please make it happen.

I saw that picture and instantly thought "doesn't Acchan have eyes pretty close to each other?", but not to that degree, so I'm pretty sure it's just the art direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I have never seen that drawing style in a doujin before and I pray I never will. >_<
Agreed.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #15
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I watched the latest episode on this. For the most part, it was an entertaining episode. We got the stuff about "ARE YOU WORTHY OF CENTERNOVA BEAUTY?!". I enjoyed it enough until......

The last part of the episode. THAT. WAS. AWFUL! What the hell was that? "I'm the main character and I can do what I want!" Sad thing is, I bet that outburst will somehow make her more popular. Now lets hope all of the girls will follow centernova beauty's example and treat Nagisa like this. Anyway I had to stop the episode. I won't drop it, but I couldn't watch that scene.

Also that's the first time I saw that art in a doujin, but I've seen it before in a Smile Precure video. I've seen it floating around here and there in a few other things as well. I want to say it's an Eyeshield parody, but I might be wrong.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #16
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
I watched the latest episode on this. For the most part, it was an entertaining episode. We got the stuff about "ARE YOU WORTHY OF CENTERNOVA BEAUTY?!".
Are you talking about Acchan, by any chance? Didn't think it's such a hard name...

Quote:
I enjoyed it enough until......

The last part of the episode. THAT. WAS. AWFUL! What the hell was that? "I'm the main character and I can do what I want!" Sad thing is, I bet that outburst will somehow make her more popular. Now lets hope all of the girls will follow centernova beauty's example and treat Nagisa like this. Anyway I had to stop the episode. I won't drop it, but I couldn't watch that scene.
Yeah, Nagisa is still my least favorite of all the girls, but the script is doing everything in its power to plug her as Acchan the 14th. She has no real goal, no real substance, but somehow we're supposed to believe she'll rise to the fame of Maeda Atsuko just like that? It kinda pains me to say it, but despite the idea that "anyone can make it in AKB48" (like Makoto's proven), I wouldn't be awfully sorry if Nagisa got kicked out of the show.

I'd be more willing to believe that Mimori becomes Acchan than Nagisa. Speaking of Mimori...

...the episode, after the Nagisa Scene you apparently stopped at, left Mimori in bed with her Successor Fever and a cliffhanger: the mirror started to reflect another person and Tsubasa said "It can't be...!" and then the episode ended. So I'll be spending this week trying not to explode from the excitement.

Personally, I'd guess Mimori to inherit the name of Kojima Haruna ("Nyan-nyan desu~!", pink fluffy hair, pheromones, "there's a storm coming :3") or Itano Tomomi (placed 8th in the Election, the "OUR FAMILY'S WOMEN HAVE BEEN TOMOCHIN FOR CENTURIES" girl). The real Tomochin has been dubbed as the sexiest member of AKB48, but Kojiharu has earned the English title "Natural-Born Idol" in live concerts, and I think both apply to Mimori on one level or another.

We could also get a surprise-succession: maybe Minegishi Minami? Some less-famous member? Least we're not running out of options!

More importantly, I want to know if any of the girls inherits the name of Mariko Shinoda (Tsubasa's former title) - I'm rooting for Shizuko if it becomes a possibility.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #17
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

It is a difficult name if you have trouble remembering names, and she's a character I don't really care about.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #18
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

I caved in, possibly hours before the fansub is out, but I spoiled myself as to who Mimori is going to succeed. And the answer simply blew me away.

I need to see how the HELL this particular succession works!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime