UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Gym Battles

Old 09-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
Torkoal Stu
This

Lapras UPN PASBL Gym Match: Concept vs Lonely Cubone

We are gathered here today, PASBL viewing public, to witness the fight of two very famous battlers. To your right we have the defending Water Gym Leader Concept and to your left we have the challenging Ground Gym Leader Lonely Cubone. This promises to be one hell of a fight. Especially as they are two members of the Britpack! Let's have some information on our candidates shall we?

Note: Information provided by Stu’s PASBL Battler Database may or may not be true fact.

First our esteemed Gym Leader~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu’s PASBL Battler Database
Name: Concept ('Cept)
Main Pokémon Association: Politoed
Special Skills: Reciting the dialogue of Avatar, Drinking
Trainer Position: Water Gym Leader
LO Power: Unleashing Wrath
Notable Information: He has a note of love to Jeri written on his back and wears an eye patch.
Secondly the confident Challenger~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu’s PASBL Battler Database
Name: Lonely Cubone (Elsie)
Main Pokémon Association: Cubone
Special Skills: Referencing Scott Pilgrim, Making Dave Feel Bad
Trainer Position: Ground Gym Leader
LO Power: Approving Referees
Notable Information: Widely regarded as very attractive among by the general consensus of PASBLers and provides the Trainer Rankings for PASBL.
Now here for our rundown of the Match Statistics and Gym Arena~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Match Statistics
4 Versus 4
Single Battle
Slapstick
Switch = KO For Gym Leader
Switch = OK For Challenger
48 Hour DQ
Equilevel 5
The Cascadium
An indoor arena with no windows, standard arena dimensions - as high as it is wide. Filled half to the top with water. Artificial lighting. Occupying the centre, about a third the length and width of the total arena, is a mesa made of clay and stone - mostly clay towards the outside, getting more and more rocky as you go deeper into it. The flat top is about six inches below the surface of the water. High up on the walls at each end of the arena is a box for the trainer to stand and survey the battlefield - the wall beneath the leaders box is adorned with a mural of the Blaine sprite from RBY, whilst the challenger has the Youngster sprite from RBY in the same place.
So let’s get this what is sure to be an extremely interesting, eventful, exciting and hilarious battle underway. Here is the rundown of the battle~ (that I’m sure you’re both really aware of)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Ordering
~ Concept posts Gym Squad
~ Lonely Cubone posts Squad and releases first Pokémon
~ Concept releases first Pokémon and issues orders
~ Lonely Cubone issues orders
~ I do that whole Referee Thing
~ Orders Reverse
So let's get this started, because this match is serious business. The winner will recieve fame, glory, power and some feisty wenches!

Note: Stu in no way condones the handing out of wenches as the prize of a Pokémon Battle.

So actually maybe if the challenger wins he'll just receive a badge. But on the upside, it may have a cool effect? : D
And also the winner gets official bragging rights! That's kinda neat~

Good luck to you both, I look forward to an epic battle~

Last edited by Torkoal Stu; 09-05-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:18 AM   #2
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
Oh wow. I read that you'd been conned into reffing something in TO, but utterly failed to connect those dots. This is going to be awesome. Also, I'm gonna go ahead and drown in my ego.
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #3
Torkoal Stu
This

If you want I'll gladly attempt to undermine you and lessen your ego in future reffings? [/late-and-bad-attempt-at-humour-response]

But I'll make sure not to make you guys regret having me as a ref! And I'll even try status indicators or whatever to make it more AMAZING~
And er I probably shouldn't be pre-match spamming >:

EDIT: Also I totally posted and Dave was on this thread in like 10 seconds flat, what a ninja!
Old 09-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
I should probably bug Muyoman about looking at my badge ability but I don't particularly want to bug him. Thus the only badge I'm bringing is the Tree Star Badge, attached to Blastoise via squad submissions.

Good luck Rob, thanks for taking this Stu.

Level 6:

Christiaan the Politoed (Male)
Politoed: (Water) While not as good a swimmer as a Poliwrath, a Politoed can jump much farther. Politoed are equally adept on land or in water. A Politoed may croak as a move. This has effects identical to Charm against any Poliwag or Poliwhirl in the area. All of the Poliwag family secretes a sort of slime when out of the water, which makes them more slippery and harder to grab, though Politoed are not as slippery as its tadpole counterparts.
For some reason, everyone seems obsessed with Mexican 'mon.
Mine is Dutch.
Christiaan is the result of a Poliwhirl breeding with a pure-bred Ludicolo. His mother, sadly died during childbirth, and he lived in the Eterna forest, raised by the Ludicolo. As such, his upbringing was not what is typical for a Poliwag. The poor lad suffered terrible headaches from the effects of moss rock, and the training he received didn't exactly seem fitting for a water type.
Special Training: Frogger (Grass)
Due to his parentage and upbringing with Ludicolo and close to moss rock, Christiaan has a certain grass type affinity. He is considered familiar with grass type attacks (as waters generally are with ice type moves) and has the same amount of grass energy a normal water would have ice energy. He gains the moves Seed Bomb, Energy Ball and Giga Drain. He loses all Ice moves and will not have access to ice punch either when he would gain it upon evolution (ie all his ice moves).

Level 5:

Alexander the Blastoise (Male)
Blastoise: (Water) The largest of the Squirtle line, Blastoise is the least agile of the three. However, it is much tougher, its shell is harder and heavier, and it’s the fastest of the Squirtle line in the water and on land. Like Squirtles and Wartortles, however, they are vulnerable if knocked on their backs, though Blastoise are more “set” than the rest of the Squirtle line, and are harder to knock down.
Alexander used to be the chief battler of a water gym leader, twenty years ago. His battle strategy consisted of "ignore incoming attacks, approach opponent, beat until broken". This worked pretty well. He's been in semi retirement for almost two decades, but has come out of it again as a favour to me.

Signature Move: Amnesiac (Psychic)
Alexander don't need no whippersnappers telling him what to do, least of all these damnable LO's. This move is something like old school amnesia, because his rose-tinted nostalgia goggles tell him it was better damn it. For the energy of a calm mind, he gets a special defence boost equal in magnitude to the special attack boost from nasty plot. However, use of the move lowers his mental resistance to things like confuse ray.
Badge Effect: Fossil Fortitude (Tree Star Badge)
The attached Pokemon is treated as though it is one level higher than it actually is--the Pokemon will remain at its actual level, but the badge bestows it with extra power. The actual benefit is up to the ref's scale (extra health/energy, increased attack/defense power) but there must be some benefit given. This badge is attached to one Pokemon in signature submissions but can be changed to a different Pokemon at will. This effect does not trigger the disobedience clause should another uplevel be used in the same battle, as it does not actually raise the level of the Pokemon.

Monarch the Gyarados (Female)
Gyarados: (Water/Flying) Gyarados are terrifying, and for good reason. If a Pokemon would be afraid of Gyarados, then Gyarados’ fear attacks are more effective. Gyarados is equally at home on land or in the water.
Monarch is a mighty and fearsome Gyarados, well known for her destructive tendencies. I bring her out rarely, when I need to go for damage on a grand scale. Notable performances include the crushing of Balmund's Riolu, repeated smooshing of Dream Breakers Seadra, and one memorable battle where she chewed a Poliwag nearly clean in two. However, many times I send her out her foes prefer to flee rather than face her wrath. She's put a lot of effort into counteracting this.

Special Training: Mano a Mano (XX)
Monarch can use mean look.

Wee Terrible Beastie the Tentacruel (Female)
Tentacruel: (Water/Poison) Has over 10 tentacles, so, unlike Tentacool, it can use its tentacles and still be able to move on land, provided at least half of its tentacles are free. They are still far better swimmers, however.
Ur is a Tentacruel specially bred with Portuguese Man-O-Wars to be especially vicious and deadly in water based combat. Her previous owner intended to use her as one of four "fiends" a la the original final fantasy. He was a bit nuts.
Special Training: Portuguese Man-O-War (Poison)
Ur's poison is special, and although not any more potent as a poison causes a burning sensation in the affected area. As a result, her Poison Jab and Poison Sting attacks cause a lot of pain on the area of contact, which is very strong when the attack first hits but rapidly tails off. The pain can distract a Pokemon when they're hit by one of these attacks, and can make the area more sensitive to future hits (actual damage done is unaffected, it's just painful, and breaks concentration). Her Poison Sting and Poison Jab attacks take 1.25x energy, but do no extra damage. Flinch chance is the same as air cutter for the initial attack. Future hits on the same area have a much lower flinch chance as the user gets used to it.

Mariah the Octillery (Female)
Octillery: (Water) Octillery has suction cups on its tentacles, which it can use to hold fast to certain surfaces. Thus, if the opponent uses attacks dependent on Octillery's weight, Octillery is considered to weigh 200 pounds for the duration of the attack, provided it's touching something it can hold on to. Octillery are fastest in water, though they can move somewhat well on land.
No sig.

Odyssey the Lapras (Female)
Lapras: (Water/Ice) Lapras is slow and ungainly on land, but is incredibly fast and agile in water, particularly on top. As a carrier Pokemon, Lapras can carry up to 1.5 times its weight and not have its speed affected. Lapras’ shell is hard, and any attacks there are reduced to 75% damage.
Odyssey is the newest member of my squad, a loveable water type. She was mildy annoyed that she's confined to the waves, and had decided to take it out on less aquatic familiar pokemon.

Signature Move: Surf Power (Water)
Functioning much like earth power, except in water, Odyssey pumps water energy into the water causing it to shift and strike the opponent. Energy and damage are the same as earth power, except water typed.

It strikes me that I should really get another earthquaking water for this occasions I don't want the 4x weakness of Carracosta/Quagsire.

Last edited by Concept; 09-08-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:38 AM   #5
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Cubone

Oh goodie, a Badge Swapping opportunity. Not the world's most exciting squad, but a few Eevil Eexes

The Badges:

Mozz Badge
Global Badge
Effect: When used, all Pokemon on trainer's team will have one minor type have double the energy as it usually would have. A "minor type" is defined as one that is not the Pokemon's primary or secondary type, and the Pokemon has at least 1 but no more than 4 offensive, damage dealing moves of said type. This includes all possible moves that the Pokemon knows, so this includes event moves, added moves via signature trainings, et al. The trainer may select the type for each Pokemon when they are first sent out. If no type satisfies the badge requirements, the type with the least known moves MUST be chosen. This does not increase total energy.

Pangaea Badge
Attachable Badge
A small badge in the shape of the ancient earth itself, the Earthen Renewal badge is the token given to victorious trainers at Lonely Cubone’s Terra Firma Gym, symbolising the sustainability and strength of nature itself.
Badge Effect: Earth’s Renewal
The Pokémon which holds this badge seems to restore itself from the very earth it stands upon. At the end of any round in which the Pokémon is touching the ground (including concrete/clay if the arena is so based) it will restore a small amount of health, on a par with the effects of Aqua Ring, up to 1/3 of its total health over 10 rounds of ending the round grounded. 1/3 is the maximum that can be healed by this badge, even if the holder survives long enough for it to be more.

This badge is attached to Mr. Mime.

The Squad:

Gideon Graves, Level Six Male Glaceon (Uplevel)
No Bio or Sig...yet

Elphaba, Level Five Female Mismagius
Those who do not know Elphaba generally believe her to be a mean spirited soul who cares for nobody but herself, but this is a mere facade that she plays up to, particularly in battle where she has all but perfected a look of disdain for her opponents and a heartless cackle when they suffer from her attacks. Whilst I, and her teammates know her to be an amusing soul, she finds her battle face particularly useful to keep up and has worked on the persona to the point where even we struggle to see her acting for what it is.

Special Technique: Shriek of the Banshee (Ghost)
Replacing Elphaba’s normal Screech attack, Shriek of the Banshee is performed similarly but is even more horrific, the Shriek echoing the lost souls of a hundred Pokémon. It deals decent sonic damage and has a 50% chance of causing an average opponent to flinch and not perform the next move, with the damage and flinch chance rising against Pokémon with sensitive hearing and falling against those with poorer hearing. The attack uses energy equivalent to a Dark Pulse, but suffers from diminishing returns (1st time will have 50% chance, 2nd will have 25% chance), with only two uses effective against most Pokémon before they become desensitised to the sound. Being a sonic attack, this can affect multiple targets (including friendly ones) in Double battles if they are within range.

Marcel Marceu, Level Five Male Mr. Mime
Marcel is named for the famous French mime artist, of whom he is a frankly obsessive fan. His love of miming boxes and shields extends beyond even that of a normal member of his species, and one day I found that his practice extended even beyond his usual waking hours...

Special Defence: Sleep Barriers (Psychic)
Due to extensive practice during waking hours, Marcel found that he occasionally awoke surrounded by a dome of energy. Upon further investigation, we found that every time he used Sleep Talk, the only moves that would occur were Light Screen, Barrier or Reflect. The three have an equal chance of occurrence and the move still has the regular 50% fail rate. Any Reflects created by Sleep Talk will always be in Dome form, and count towards the one per battle limit.

Euryale, Level Five Female Tangrowth
No Bio or Sig yet

Roxanne Richter, Level Five Female Jolteon
In need of Bio and sig

Todd Ingram, Level Five Male Leafeon
In need of Bio and Sig

Marcel, you always seem to start my legend challenges, so why not this one too? Do me proud.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #6
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Mariah. Secret power, supersonic.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Hypnosis and Nasty Plot.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

You're a bad person, because I know exactly what's coming here.

:p
Old 09-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #9
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Then you can commence your cunning plan to avoid it.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:17 PM   #10
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Cubone View Post
Then you can commence your cunning plan to avoid it.
Indeed.

Stu I'll adorn my gym arena with Afro Torkoals if you ref Elsie's plans failing.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #11
Torkoal Stu
This

Lapras Round One~

> Stu I'll adorn my gym arena with Afro Torkoals if you ref Elsie's plans failing.

Urge...not...be...bias...decreasing D:

ROUND ONE ~ Everything from LC’s sneaky plans to ‘Cept's attempts to bribe the ref-man~

The Gym Leader, the Challenger and the Referee all walk into The Cascadium, when out of nowhere a genie appears. He says that if they jump into the water, they’ll land in whatever they shout while they’re jumping. The three are appreshenive at first but Cept, being brave and the Gym Leader decides to test it out. So ‘Cept jumps in while shouting ‘ahoy thar, rum!’ and lands into the arena's waters now filled of the best quality rum you could ever want to drink or swim in. Meanwhile LC, seeing it has worked wonders, jumps shouts ‘beer’ and lands in the arena now filled to the brim with the finest beer in the world. Stu just loves to jump and shouts ‘wee’ out of his excitement as he is falling...well yeah we all know how these kinds of jokes turn out.

Either way joking side all three then stand in their respective positions, Elsie decides to get the ball rolling by releasing Marcel a Mr. Mime onto the shallow water atop the mesa. Meanwhile ‘Cept doesn’t seem particularly phased by this choice as he releases Mariah, the Octillery, into the water not too far from Marcel. An interesting match-up methinks. Let’s take a closer look at the information on each Pokémon then.

Quote:
Octillery
Species Characteristic: Octillery has suction cups on its tentacles, which it can use to hold fast to certain surfaces. Thus, if the opponent uses attacks dependent on Octillery's weight, Octillery is considered to weigh 200 pounds for the duration of the attack, provided it's touching something it can hold on to. Octillery are fastest in water, though they can move somewhat well on land.
Water Type: Water Pokémon are able to hold their breath and/or breathe under water. The time varies, from about half an hour to one hour for reptilians and mammals, and indefinitely for fish and squid like Pokémon. They are also, generally, good swimmers.

Mr. Mime
Species Characteristic: Mr. Mime are mainly proficient in wall defensive attacks, and can perform such moves (Barrier, Light Screen, Reflect, etc.) almost instantaneously.
Psychic Type: Psychics are considered to automatically be familiar with psychic abilities. Thus, they can use Psychic to move and toss Pokémon. If facing a non-bug, non-dark opponent, psychics can sense their opponent somewhat, making accuracy reducing attacks less effective.
All this reffing malarkey is making me really hungry, so it’s time for a word from our sponsors...

Spoiler: show

Oh, right. Sorry Mariah ;-;

Everyone: Stu, stop trying to be funny and just get on with the reffing. Seriously.

Alright, alright. Chill out. Anyway, Mariah begins by declaring her undying love for Marcell. Singing at the top of her lungs come back baby please, cause we belong together.

Ok, last un-funny joke (of this round) I promise.

So anyway after ages of second guessing myself, Mariah actually begins the battle by charging up a pink aura around herself. The mystical glowy secret power of Mariah’s is then thrown directly at Marcel, but the Secret Power is much faster and strikes Marcel before he really has a chance to get his Hypnosis thing going. Afterwards Marcel quickly shakes off the Secret Power, which seems to have left no sign of a status effect, and begins to release some slow moving psychic waves at his opponent through their eye contact. Marcel commands Mariah to 'sign the fession, look into my eyes!'. Alright, I admit it, I lied about the joke thing! Either way the waves and eye contact all add up to Mariah becoming drowsy and she decides to go for a bit of a nap, so Marcel decides to use this time to concoct some nasty plans for the future and in doing so increases his various attacking prowess.

As the round comes to a nice calm close I have two Stu Created Status Indicators for you both to choose from:

Spoiler: show

OR~

CHOOSE WISELY~

So at the end of the first round there isn’t much difference between the two Pokémon, Mariah is casually asleep but she hasn’t take any damage or used much energy. While Marcel has taken a bit of damage and used a fair bit of energy, but nothing too bad right now. He also has a neat Nasty Plot boost.

LC, then 'Cept if you will~

Note: I hope I did everything right D: [/reffingnerves]
Old 09-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #12
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Putting in a vote for the second status indicator. Also your reffings are fabulous.

Last edited by Concept; 09-13-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:52 AM   #13
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Definitely #2

Future Sight and Zap Cannon. Standard.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #14
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Frankie says relax.

"Enjoy your sleep, stop fighting gravity - sink like a pro. If you can be ordered to snore and sleep talk while dozing hopefully you can manage that. Once you're awake, signal beam if you can, otherwise LT agility to loosen up that paralysis."

This could go spectacularly wrong.

Last edited by Concept; 09-14-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:26 PM   #15
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Concept in breaking ASB shock.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #16
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Safer orders were also duller.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #17
Torkoal Stu
This

Hey guys~

I want to do this reffing properly rather than rushing it out tonight before I leave. So I'll do it when I get the internet in my new house (which should be early next week, so like tuesday?).

I'm sorry to keep you guys waiting D:
Old 10-01-2011, 05:54 AM   #18
Torkoal Stu
This

Round Two~

You’re both in luck, I’ve been summoned home for the weekend therefore giving me COMPUTER INTERNET~ And therefore (a kind rushed but necessary) Round 2~

Round Two ~ Like Actually The Worst Wake-Up Call Ever

Marcel decides to take advantage of his foe’s sleepy state and begins to concentrate really hard. This is his concentration face. Ok, well not really. But I wanted an excuse to post that. So anyway after moments of concentration and then nothing happens. Looks like that’ll be something to watch out for in the future.

Meanwhile Mariah is just having a nice snooze, but she is becoming almost too relaxed and begins to sink...sort of. Although in this state she is just way too relaxed to do anything, probably having some kind of crazy amazing dream. Marcel decides to up the pace and fires a concentrated Nasty-Plot boosted beam of electricity (seriously? Pokémon is so weird) through the water, and electricity and water is never a good combination anyway, but either way Mariah receives an intense powerful shock kind of like the worst alarm clock you could imagine. She is now pretty paralysed, but awake and really agitated. Mariah then attempts to move or use an attack or anything, however all of her muscles tense up and cause her unable to move. Bad times.

Marcel used mass amounts of energy and took no damage, while Mariah used no energy but took loads of damage and is pretty paralysed. And at some point a Future Sight will wreak havoc around us all.

‘Cept, then LC please~
And I should be getting the internet in my new house on Monday so Round 3 should be here in no time~
Old 10-01-2011, 06:56 AM   #19
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

I am wearing my sadface right now.

Orders later.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:16 AM   #20
Torkoal Stu
This

Bumpedity bump bump...bump?

D:
Old 10-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #21
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Bumped by Stu. Oh the shame.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:58 AM   #22
Torkoal Stu
This

I just didn't want this to get lost in the bowels of UPN/buried beneath the hecticness of life.

Also it is fun being a hypocrite sometimes~
Old 11-13-2011, 08:01 AM   #23
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Cubone View Post
You can change the ref really, I kinda meant that tongue in cheek.
But only if you order in this one.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #24
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Octazooka and secret power as an when you can.

I am still awaiting the arrival of the superplan that'll allow me to pull of my third successful comeback from a terrible position against you, Elsie.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #25
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Plenty of rounds to come.

Energy Ball into Confuse Ray

> Status related lols

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Gym Battles