UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2011, 05:53 AM   #76
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels
 
Muyotwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,309
Man, I love ep 25, but starting with it? I think that would just skew your perception of Pinkie Pie for the entire series. I'd say start at the beginning, the episodes are a bit more interchangeable after the first two. A good taste of the series is episode 15- one of my absolute favorite eps.
__________________
The Kim Il Sung of ASB.
Muyotwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #77
Sneaze
#SWAG
 
Sneaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Sigs Hell
Posts: 5,654
Send a message via Skype™ to Sneaze
Sorry Talon, I couldn't hear you over my 30 Gig pony folder. And that's without eps, songs, PMVs, and the dropbox I share with several ponies from ponychan. Also, I recieved a text about the leak as soon as it came out, I just don't care for leaks and spoilers. I wish to be pleasantly surprised.
__________________
Wild Future - FizzBy
PASBL - Ghost Grass Gym Leader - Dragon Elite Four


Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Whatever Sneasel says is right
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:22 AM   #78
Talon87
Shenmue III, baby!
 
Talon87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lafayette, Indiana
Posts: 20,159
Send a message via AIM to Talon87
You say that like I'm supposed to be impressed. I'm pretty sure my friend's video media folder alone holds 30 gigs. Never mind the fanart ... the fan remixes of songs ... the various netizen projects he's worked on ... or the website he moderates with daily traffic that makes UPN look like a pale blue dot in the cosmos.

But hey, you go ahead and be proud of your streaming site. It's cool. Maybe some day you'll stream some of the stuff my friend's produced: if you haven't already.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:29 AM   #79
AshsBabyLapras
reason for my life
 
AshsBabyLapras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,860
Lapras

Maybe both of you should watch episodes 6 and 13. ;3

And Davey, Green Isn't Your Colour is an amazing episode, so it's no wonder you enjoyed it! NO SHAME.
AshsBabyLapras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #80
Lady Kuno
Prepare to die
 
Lady Kuno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 226,173
Dude I invented MLP and I got thirty bajillionty tons of gigawhammys of ponys on my computer.

Why did this thread turn into a lame pissing contest instead of adorable ponies? Shame on you.
__________________
JUST NUKE THE FUCKING SUN

Spoiler: show
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:54 AM   #81
Sneaze
#SWAG
 
Sneaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Sigs Hell
Posts: 5,654
Send a message via Skype™ to Sneaze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
You say that like I'm supposed to be impressed. I'm pretty sure my friend's video media folder alone holds 30 gigs. Never mind the fanart ... the fan remixes of songs ... the various netizen projects he's worked on ... or the website he moderates with daily traffic that makes UPN look like a pale blue dot in the cosmos. But hey, you go ahead and be proud of your streaming site. It's cool. Maybe some day you'll stream some of the stuff my friend's produced: if you haven't already.
I just wrote out a rather nice reply to this, but apparently my phone auto-refreshes and it killed my post. Anyway... to summarize it...
Spoiler: show
Cool story, bro.
__________________
Wild Future - FizzBy
PASBL - Ghost Grass Gym Leader - Dragon Elite Four


Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Whatever Sneasel says is right
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #82
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast
 
DaveTheFishGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 12,257
Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Relicanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshsBabyLapras View Post
And Davey, Green Isn't Your Colour is an amazing episode, so it's no wonder you enjoyed it! NO SHAME.
It was great and I don't know why I liked it so much ;;

>mfw fucking Q from Star Trek is going to be in the first two S2 episodes



Shame youtube hates me though ;;

Having watched all of S1, I can finally do my rankings of the cast! Whooooo!

Mane Six:

Spoiler: show
1. Fluttershy - totally adorable (and funny when she gets mad). Also animals, so. She also reminds me a little of myself by apologising all the time ;;
2. Rarity - not originally this high up the list, but the aforementioned episode plus a few others pushed her up here. She's a bit of a drama queen, sure, but she makes up for that. Also she has a cat.
3/4. Applejack/Pinkie Pie - too close to call, really. Pinkie's great, but AJ's early focus episode sadly leaves her to being slightly forgotten. Honestly can't decide which I like more (though Pinkie was hilarious when she went crazy).
5. Twilight Sparkle - she's alright but something about her stops me from liking her a lot more and I don't know why.
6. Rainbow Dash - sadly her obnoxiousness/competetive streak outshines her good qualities as far as I'm concerned. Still like her, just not as much as the others.


inb4gtfonoob
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #83
empoleon dynamite
Volcano Badge
 
empoleon dynamite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,772
> John de Lancie playing an all-powerful troll in MLP

__________________


FB PASBL TL 4
26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

empoleon dynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #84
GrJackass
Night Man
 
GrJackass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post


It was great and I don't know why I liked it so much ;;

>mfw fucking Q from Star Trek is going to be in the first two S2 episodes

Shame youtube hates me though ;;

Having watched all of S1, I can finally do my rankings of the cast! Whooooo!

Mane Six:

Spoiler: show
1. Fluttershy - totally adorable (and funny when she gets mad). Also animals, so. She also reminds me a little of myself by apologising all the time ;;
2. Rarity - not originally this high up the list, but the aforementioned episode plus a few others pushed her up here. She's a bit of a drama queen, sure, but she makes up for that. Also she has a cat.
3/4. Applejack/Pinkie Pie - too close to call, really. Pinkie's great, but AJ's early focus episode sadly leaves her to being slightly forgotten. Honestly can't decide which I like more (though Pinkie was hilarious when she went crazy).
5. Twilight Sparkle - she's alright but something about her stops me from liking her a lot more and I don't know why.
6. Rainbow Dash - sadly her obnoxiousness/competetive streak outshines her good qualities as far as I'm concerned. Still like her, just not as much as the others.


inb4gtfonoob
been watching it from the start myself, its amazing how many episodes i missed
__________________
I'm an old school Poke-BALLER.

”Fee, fie, foe, fum the End are Near at thou Bobbum. Time me open Bobbum Van trunk, for ruin Bobbum wif Equipmunk.”
GrJackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:19 PM   #85
deoxys
こばやし だいすき~
 
deoxys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 私の尾を食べてください OwO
Posts: 6,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrJackass View Post
been watching it from the start myself, its amazing how many episodes i missed
How are you liking it so far?
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:44 PM   #86
AshsBabyLapras
reason for my life
 
AshsBabyLapras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,860
Lapras

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
It was great and I don't know why I liked it so much ;;
Because Fluttershy, clearly. <:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
inb4gtfonoob
dude naw. Your rankings were cool! And pretty darn close to mine so. I'm glad you managed to catch up in time to party down with us for S2! :D

Hnnnng this wait is PAINFUL. Upcoming ponies and TLK = my week is crawling along.
AshsBabyLapras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #87
GrJackass
Night Man
 
GrJackass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
How are you liking it so far?
i honestly think noone who's actually given TNG an honest try can not like it. it has something for everyone and lets face it, can be a little bad ass

plus, i dont know who discovered patrick stewart and saw him captaining a space vessel, but he had true vision
__________________
I'm an old school Poke-BALLER.

”Fee, fie, foe, fum the End are Near at thou Bobbum. Time me open Bobbum Van trunk, for ruin Bobbum wif Equipmunk.”
GrJackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #88
Lady Kuno
Prepare to die
 
Lady Kuno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 226,173
I think they're asking you about MLP.
__________________
JUST NUKE THE FUCKING SUN

Spoiler: show
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #89
deoxys
こばやし だいすき~
 
deoxys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 私の尾を食べてください OwO
Posts: 6,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
I think they're asking you about MLP.
Yeah, my bad, I thought that's what he was referring to.

I'm not a Star Trek guy myself, I tried getting into it but it just couldn't captivate my attention. Unfortunately, the same goes for Doctor Whooves.

Also, the season 2 preview was pretty awesome, it's going to be pretty great.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:08 PM   #90
Mozz
Golden Wang of Justice
 
Mozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,924
__________________
Mozz's Van, named after Bulbagardens creditor, was a hidden forum section where staff members could share pictures of their tiny penises and engage in homosex. Sadly, HAVA media, Bulbagardens new corporate overlord, forced it's closure. Can't have porn on a children's website.
Mozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #91
deoxys
こばやし だいすき~
 
deoxys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 私の尾を食べてください OwO
Posts: 6,482
I was having a discussion earlier tonight with a friend about MLP. While neutral to it himself entirely, he feels the only reason people like it is because it became popular through internet culture as a deviant to the norm, and many people like it and obsess over it for that reason alone. He posed an poignant argument that, while a lot of people may enjoy the show, the only reason they do so in the first place is because online culture/4chan basically turned it into an incredibly elaborate meme out of being a brony, and this is usually the only reason anyone actually enjoys the show.

When we discussed the fandom that comes out of the show, the art and all of the music, he asked if I would consider Red Bull, G4TV, and Master Chief having anything to do with the other. I said sure, and he responded with "I feel the same way about Ponies, 4chan, and dubstep." (dubstep was part of a bigger conversation in which he basically applied the same argument to it as being a 'breakthrough new genre' that people are liking more and more because of internet culture/4chan and only like it for the purpose of deviating.)

So, I don't know how I feel about that argument. I found myself not really arguing back so much as just listening. It should also be noted said friend has been visiting 4chan for many years now and says he has nothing against ponies, and after seeing 3 episodes, still feels neutral toward it and sees it as a mediocre "powerpuff girls without the hook".

How would you guys have reacted to his argument? I guess don't care. FUCKING PONIES, MAN, I LOVE THEM
__________________





MAL (updated frequently) - Fizzy Bubbles - tumblr

avatar credit: neverthrive


deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:24 PM   #92
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury
 
Concept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nipple-Hunting with Elsie and Kairne
Posts: 6,962
Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
... what did I just watch?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTerry
What can the harvest hope for, if not the care of the reaper man?
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:49 AM   #93
deoxys
こばやし だいすき~
 
deoxys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 私の尾を食べてください OwO
Posts: 6,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
... what did I just watch?


also, not usually a fan of these types of remixes, but I particularly enjoy this. You guys may as well, especially if you like Super Meat Boy.

Last edited by deoxys; 09-14-2011 at 03:53 AM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:11 AM   #94
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels
 
Muyotwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,309


(In before Talon says I cheapen my argument by using a memetacular image to start my post)
I wouldn't have argued that FiM has become much more popular due to it becoming popular in internet culture, 4chan controversies (posting ponies was bannable) will inevitably lead to a lot more people watching the series, and I'm sure there are no small number of "fans" who just sit on a pile of pony pictures and are content with that. However if the only reason people enjoyed the show was because it was internet popular I don't think there would be the excitement and anticipation that there is for season 2- Things simply don't stay popular on the internet for that long, which means the passing pony fancier have likely moved on to the next thing. It's not like all of 4chan is still outside Scientology centers every weekend. The fact that there's still so much new content being created (Ponibooru grows more powerful with every passing day) even when there aren't new episodes to fan the flames and provide more screenshot fodder show that the fanbase is really dedicated to the episodes, not just because they're popular meme. Personally I really enjoy the images, captions and shoops that everyone puts together, but I think the episodes more than hold up on their own. The reason they're popular (as opposed to some other show) is because the animation is good, the characters are adorable, likable and relatable and the more I see of each character the more I appreciate them (the Gala episode excepted, man that was such a killjoy), and I'd still watch the show even if all of the other Bronies wandered off because it's a really good show. And the reason Dave, Kuno, Mozz and so on have enjoyed the show when we've recommended it to them isn't because it's internet famous, it's because Pinkie Pie is hilarious. Also magic.

I hope the other Bronies don't wander off though, because the community is really awesome and the content is often hilarious.
__________________
The Kim Il Sung of ASB.
Muyotwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:10 AM   #95
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast
 
DaveTheFishGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 12,257
Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
>And the reason Dave, Kuno, Mozz and so on have enjoyed the show when we've recommended it to them isn't because it's internet famous, it's because Pinkie Pie is hilarious. Also magic.

Agreed. I've never really gotten involved with the sites that 'started' this whole craze (4chan, etc) due to the fact that despite my constant used of computers/the internet, I'm actually pretty piss-poor at knowing where to find stuff. Sort of like being a great driver but knowing sod-all about cars.

Aside from the avatar storm a few months back I'd not had any prior exposure to FiM, but some constant badgering from Muyo/ABL persuaded me to give it a go. It really reminds me of the great age of animation from the late '90s, which is a given when Lauren Faust was mostly behind PPG (guilty pleasure there). I found it about as enjoyable as Megas XLR or Avatar, the other cartoons I've recently been into.

Also I have no pictures. Should probably fix this.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #96
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury
 
Concept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nipple-Hunting with Elsie and Kairne
Posts: 6,962
Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Right, with sleep having fixed my brain from its earlier state, what I meant to say was:

Watched the two parter that opens the series. It... wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Some bits were kinda narm inducing, sure but in places it was actually passable. Pinkie Pie annoyed the bejeesus outta me though, have to say. Applejack/Fluttershy/Rainbow Dash were all much better (though I get the impression there'll be more episodes focussing on Applejack + Rainbow Dash together than either of them'll get seperately, for some reason). May or may not watch more depending on how stuck for things to do I find myself.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTerry
What can the harvest hope for, if not the care of the reaper man?
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:22 AM   #97
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels
 
Muyotwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,309
Pinkie Pie annoyed the bejesus out of me the first two episodes as well.

Now she is my superfavorite.

It will happen to you, too.
__________________
The Kim Il Sung of ASB.
Muyotwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:30 AM   #98
Lady Kuno
Prepare to die
 
Lady Kuno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 226,173
I like Twilight Sparkle the best and Rarity the least. Everyone else is in the middle somewhere. The show is good but it's been a while since I watched it so it kind of fell off my radar a bit.
__________________
JUST NUKE THE FUCKING SUN

Spoiler: show
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:15 PM   #99
AshsBabyLapras
reason for my life
 
AshsBabyLapras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,860
Lapras

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Aside from the avatar storm a few months back I'd not had any prior exposure to FiM, but some constant badgering from Muyo/ABL persuaded me to give it a go.
Guilty as charged, I admit it. ;3 But come on, we didn't lead you wrong, did we Davey? <3 I'm so glad to have you in our happy little herd! :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
Watched the two parter that opens the series. It... wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Some bits were kinda narm inducing, sure but in places it was actually passable.
I quite liked the two-parter opening and in some ways it's a good introduction to Equestria, but it's also not the best representation of the series as a whole. Just my own personal opinion here, but I think it's a lot more enjoyable once the series really gets into the swing of things and establishes itself with a more comfortable routine of one-shot, generally individual-centred episodes with a lot more fun and humour. I hope you'll keep giving it a shot, 'ceptie. <3

And yeah, concurring with Muyo - I don't think anyone likes Pinkie right off the bat, to be perfectly honest. xd; But oh my God she will grow on you like a hyperactive fungus.

As far as deo's topic goes, I really don't think the e-craze of ponies has anythng to do with my fondness for the show. I mean, sure, I was aware of how wildly popular it became online and so that made me curious, but I was collecting ponies well before FiM. Frankly, surges of popularity tend to send me into hype backlash territory. So, if anything, I got into this series despite the hype. And I've never been a fan of anything else Lauren Faust has done (don't dislike it, so we're clear, I've simply never bothered to take notice before). I just... really like cute colourful ponies with special talents. <3 And I was really pleasantly surprised with the humour and the characters.

I'm not really anything more than a lurker in the fandom (at this point, anyway). I really think that I'd be just as big a fan even if brony culture didn't exist - but I am grateful for such a large community that really does seem very loving and tolerant! At the end of the day, I really don't care why people are getting into this series to begin with. I love the fact that this series has got a wide cast of (mostly female) characters that everyone seems to enjoy watching, and I love the fact that dumb gender roles and stereotypes aren't getting in the way of people enjoying a genuinely good cartoon. Clearly there's a big group of males who have "paved the way" here already, so to speak, but I love each and every guy (and girl, for that matter) who isn't ashamed to stand up and proclaim their love for a "little girls' show".

So to all you UPN bronies, I just want to say...

Spoiler: show
BORKED

<3
AshsBabyLapras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:10 PM   #100
Torkoal Stu
This
 
Torkoal Stu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Searching for ABL~
Posts: 1,398
I've only seen the first two episodes and I like Pinkie a lot : D [/minority]
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 PM.


Design By: Miner Skinz.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.