UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Suggestions and Inquiries

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 03:48 PM   #1301
Zelphon
Happy October

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
Well no, Screech at least doesn't do damage and where as it makes sense for a pokemon to remain able to have their ears sound screwed it doesn't make much sense for them to fall for the glowy hand trick twice.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:01 PM   #1302
rotomotorz
Careful on the "goods"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
In fairness making Sucker Punch only work once against a target is odd anyway. We don't do that to Screech.
Yeah but diminishing effects make repeated usage fairly not worth it anyways
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

Old 12-17-2014, 03:30 AM   #1303
Emi
ACHILLESSSSS

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Quote:
Aqua Ring (WA) -- The user forms small, interlocking rings of Water energy, using a heavy amount of energy to do so. For the next five rounds, the user recovers mild health at the end of every round. This move counts as a trainer's one 'healing move' per match.
Why did we nerf an already situational move like this? From what I remember, the old version was light health gained per round for ten rounds. So I'm trading an imperceptible boost to short-term healing for less healing actually done? All while using a "healing move" for that Pokemon? I mean I understand internal inconsistency is a thing but its making an already not great move even worse. I'd much prefer that it went back to the old standard of 1/3 health restored over ten rounds, which would make this move a lot better and actually viable.

Quote:
Grassy Terrain (GR) - For considerable energy the user spreads invigorating Grass energy along the ground, causing grass and flowers to sprout in even the most rugged environments. This super invigorated grass will restore some (~light) health to all Pokémon touching the ground for the next five rounds, until the energy fades and also makes Grass-type moves slightly stronger. Nature Power will become Seed Bomb while this move is in effect, and Weather Ball will become Grass-typed when used by a grounded Pokémon.
This is also reallly bad. For five rounds:
1) Both Pokemon gain light health each round.
2) Grass-type attacks are stronger
3) Nature Power and Weather Ball turn into Grass attacks

I don't see the benefit of this over using Sunny Day. Sunny Day boosts their healing move Synthesis to massive levels, gives them extra energy which outweighs the extra damage a lot (especially considering your opponent gains health too), reduces the damage taken by Ice moves by 10%, and costs moderate energy. As it stands, all Pokemon who get Grassy Terrain are Grass-types or the Flabebe line, meaning changing Nature Power and Weather Ball is useless; is not giving extra energy to a type and its two moves that are almost never used against Grass-types in the first place, either because in general you use Grass-types in places where it resists Nature Power anyways (See: Any arena where it would be considered Water, Ground, or Grass) and Weather Ball's distribution is awful.

The extra damage to Grass moves really doesn't help in my opinion because Grass has become more stall geared with recent changes. Given the changes to SCs which makes healing moves and draining moves much better, the extra damage is to me superfluous in most cases where you don't have a definitely good match-up. Even in an x2 SE match-up, the extra damage won't outpace the healing.

If this was permanent, I would be okay with it in all honesty. But if its going to stay five rounds, it reaaaalllly needs some reason to be used over Sunny Day when Sunny Day does arguably more for a good deal less energy. I just don't know what that would be.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:56 AM   #1304
ROFLMAO
Thunder Badge

Quote:
Memento (DK) -- The user attempts to lower the ability of one of its opponents by fainting, and placing a curse on the victim. The curse lowers the attack and special attack of the user, dropping abilities by anywhere from 10-25%, depending on energy left when the move was used. When the move is completed, the user always faints.
Just nitpicking, but this should be dropping the victim's abilities, not the user's, right?
Wins- 24 ~ Losses- 14 ~ Draws- 1
TP- 154 KOs- 52 SP- 15
Current Number of Pokemon on the Squad: 38

Friend Codes:
Spoiler: show
Y/Smash Bros- (I pay more attention to this one :P) FS- Gabite, Noibat, Druddigon; 1993-9521-9013

X- FS- Gyarados, Bibarel, Poliwhirl; 0645-5911-9507
Old 12-22-2014, 04:57 PM   #1305
Red Panda
donk

Quote:
Rollout (XX) -- The user curls up and rolls towards the opponent, intending to collide and deal damage. Each attempted collision will count as a move as far as round timing goes. The speed of Rollout increases with each passing of the user, as determined by the referee. Upon collision, the user will either plow over the victim(s), continuing at a slightly reduced speed, or give more of a glancing blow, knocking into the Pokémon while maintaining a steady course. The effect of the arena and attacks used against it are up to the referee, who should also take the Pokémon in question into consideration. The user may also use a move rolling around the arena, building up speed for the attack.
Alright, so as it stands Rollout is just a shitty Agility that's really only good on a few pokemon (Donphan, Electrode, Whirlipede, etc.) and it has fairly great distribution.

I think that Rollout should deal Rock typed damage. A lot of the pokemon that get this move could definitely use the extra coverage.

The idea was that the original usage of the move would require a moderate amount of rock typed energy and deal a moderate amount of rock typed damage. With each subsequent hit, the damage is ramped up by a light amount and the energy by a minor amount. This damage peaks at a Major amount with a Considerable amount of energy, and afterwards the user is forced to stop rolling.

The damage and energy reset if the user stops rolling.

A standard pokemon would get 2-3 uses of this move, which would be on par with two Stone Edges.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:33 PM   #1306
Zelphon
Happy October

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
Quote:
Attract (NO) -- The user attempts to make itself look more attractive to the opposing Pokémon. In order to be effective, both Pokémon must be of opposite genders or the opposing Pokémon must be of a compatible sexuality (as specified in the bio, if at all). Success of the move is dependent on a number of factors, including mental state and the length of the battle, with mechanics similar to Charm. However, unlike Charm and similar moves, Attract also is dependent on the physical similarity between the user and its foe. Pokémon of the same species or closely tied species (e.g. Plusle and Minun) will easily fall for the Attract, with Pokémon of similar body shapes having fairly high success and very dissimilar Pokémon being unlikely to fall for the move. Attract may be performed on or by non-breeding, gendered Pokémon (e.g. babies), though the execution will focus more on maternal/paternal attraction, rather than sexual. Genderless Pokémon can neither perform nor fall prey to this move. Once Attracted, the affected foe will be calmed considerably. Its attacks will be considerably weaker and it will hesitate to perform any actions that will harm the user. Once the affected foe is struck by an attack from the user, the illusion will break and the Attraction will end. Subsequent uses will be ineffective.
Soooo, Attract is shit and is almost always either unusable or bad, I say we should remove the whole deal with species, sexual compatibility and other not gender limitations from it, I mean in the anime we have a Froakie falling in love with a Sylveon so there is even evidence that species doesn't matter. Also pretty sure Snivy got a lot of not grass reptile things to fall in love with it.

Example of Sylveon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pto8_akvmAw at 1:55 of video

Old 12-24-2014, 07:28 PM   #1307
Mercutio
Banned

Does anyone actually ref Attract like the description?
Old 12-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #1308
rotomotorz
Careful on the "goods"

Nobody refs Attract period so. I think I've used it once with Vanillish and it failed horribly because Vanillish
Squad Summary

Old 12-29-2014, 08:36 AM   #1309
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
So uhhhh. Rock Tomb. Pretty obviously I'm biased but you guys probably don't want it to be able to stop flying types in mid air. I dunno, I really have no idea how to rewrite it properly but it really shouldn't be that great against Flyers.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:44 AM   #1310
Mercutio
Banned

Yeah it's ridiculous that a Rock type move should be good against Flying types. Completely ridiculous :p

Jokes aside, I do agree that Rock Tomb shouldn't be hugely good at catching fliers, provided that they aren't stationary and low flying. But we do have animé evidence of high flying rock tomb so it's not unreasonable to have.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:20 PM   #1311
Slash
Poison Jam

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
So, Pluck. In ASB, it's a weird claw-raking move thing that's just kinda weird. In-game description, however, indicates something far different:

Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, SoulSilver
The user pecks the foe. If the foe is holding a Berry, the user plucks it and gains its effect.

Black, White, Black 2, White 2
The user pecks the target. If the target is holding a Berry, the user eats it and gains its effect.

X, Y
The user pecks the target. If the target is holding a Berry, the user eats it and gains its effect.

How did an obvious pecking move become a claw move?

This is particularly notable with Pokemon like Rattata and Bidoof, which cannot fly but are known for biting.
As may be expected though, our clear winner here was Kairne, ASB's champion of prioritizing the pokemon you like over those that are objectively better. I mean, one of his mains is a Watchog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezey12 View Post
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.
Leader of the "Stop Screwing Over Smeargle" Brigade

ASB
Art by Kairne
ASB
[URL="http://forums.upnetwork.net/showthread.php?t=4387"]
Daisy Art:

Battlecuts courtesy of DaisyInari

Random stuffs:

Old 12-31-2014, 08:24 PM   #1312
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

So normally I'd be of the opinion that the built-in get-behind-the-opponent is kinda awesome and not something I want taken out, but the idea of having it boosted by biting SCs is a me rikey.

Also can we give Disarming Voice some kind of Snarl/PlayRough-like effect of making the target hesitant to attack? I mean, it says right there in the name that it's "Disarming", and it would serve to give it a unique role-thingy.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:29 AM   #1313
Mercutio
Banned

Pluck is because I wanted there to be a talon move.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:50 AM   #1314
KamenAeons
What are you looking at?

Maybe we could make Pluck be a choice between talons and beak?

If we really must go into the wording in Japanese, Pluck's JPN name is literally "to pick", and birds are known to use both their feet and their beaks to collect their food.

In the anime, all the instances involving Pluck have been with the beak (see here), but giving them the option of both claws and beak make it a versatile tool for Flying types.

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:57 PM   #1315
phoopes
Double Dragon

From Skype:

Yo, I just used Karate Chop‏

‎11‎:‎51‎ ‎PM
attack description mentions "critical hits"‏

so I ctrl+f‏

and found critical hit in Cross Poison, Cut, Karate Chop, and Lucky Chant‏

is this something we can get rid of‏

because it seems like a pain to define‏

also the descriptions for Cut and Lucky Chant are so so so crack‏

‎11‎:‎52‎ ‎PM
Cut only because of critical hit, while Lucky Chant in general is just weird‏

(sorry Windows 8 Skype does weird copy/pasting)
Old 01-01-2015, 10:59 PM   #1316
rotomotorz
Careful on the "goods"

Phoopes you're just doing it wrong

[11:51:13 PM] Preston Hoopes: Yo, I just used Karate Chop
[11:51:19 PM] Preston Hoopes: attack description mentions "critical hits"
[11:51:25 PM] Preston Hoopes: so I ctrl+f
[11:51:37 PM] Preston Hoopes: and found critical hit in Cross Poison, Cut, Karate Chop, and Lucky Chant
[11:51:43 PM] Preston Hoopes: is this something we can get rid of
[11:51:49 PM] Preston Hoopes: because it seems like a pain to define
[11:52:15 PM] Preston Hoopes: also the descriptions for Cut and Lucky Chant are so so so crack
[11:52:47 PM] Preston Hoopes: Cut only because of critical hit, while Lucky Chant in general is just weird
Squad Summary

Old 01-05-2015, 08:22 PM   #1317
Celebii151
ADCs in 2017 LUL

Send a message via Skype™ to Celebii151
Yeah, just saying we should rid the godforsaken concept of U-Turn/Volt Switch at targets other than Pokemon.

PASBL Record
Trainer Level: 5
Referee Grade: B
Wins (DQ): 51 (5) Losses (DQ): 27 (6) Draws: 3
KOs: 135 TP: 294 SP (Earned): 0 (0)

Anime Style Battling | Fizzy Bubbles | Wild Future
Thanks to Pengyzu for the UserBar!
Old 01-05-2015, 08:23 PM   #1318
Aposteriori
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebii151 View Post
Yeah, just saying we should rid the godforsaken concept of U-Turn/Volt Switch at targets other than Pokemon.
As much utility as this offers, I must agree that damage dealing switch moves should only work if they hit the pokemon. Including volt switch not working on ground typed Pokemon unless they are wet.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:26 AM   #1319
Slash
Poison Jam

That's stupid, honestly. If the energy hits something, why should it make a difference if it hits a Pokemon or something else? especially with Volt Switch. How the hell would the energy that pushes them back magically stop working if the projectile, far from it now, doesn't hit something? Why would the energy shell for U-turn care if you hit a foe, or say, a Barrier, a Rock Tomb, etc?

I will fight such a change tooth and nail.
As may be expected though, our clear winner here was Kairne, ASB's champion of prioritizing the pokemon you like over those that are objectively better. I mean, one of his mains is a Watchog.
Quote:
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

ASB
Art by Kairne
ASB
Daisy Art:

Random stuffs:

Old 01-06-2015, 12:43 AM   #1320
Emi
ACHILLESSSSS

To be fair, I have no real issue with the mechanic in Switch = OK rules. It's in Switch = KO where this becomes very easy to abuse, especially because positioning is very important. Honestly, it is fairly dumb (although I think Ground-types should be able to stop Volt Switch anyways), but unless we completely do away with Switch = KO (I am not averse to this), switching moves do need to be looked at. It's very much a centralizing mechanic in Switch = KO. The question really needs to be what we should do about that.

Quote:
Zelphon - Today at 5:29 AM
If the current political climate has taught me anything
It's that a purge via gay witches may very well be necessary
Old 01-06-2015, 12:52 AM   #1321
Slash
Poison Jam

We have plenty of Switch = KO matches that aren't centered around switching moves. It's one mechanic out of many that can give a match form, but it's not be all, end all.
Quote:

ASB
Art by Kairne
ASB
Daisy Art:

Random stuffs:

Old 01-06-2015, 12:57 AM   #1322
Sneaze
#SWAG

Send a message via Skype™ to Sneaze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairne View Post
That's stupid, honestly. If the energy hits something, why should it make a difference if it hits a Pokemon or something else? especially with Volt Switch. How the hell would the energy that pushes them back magically stop working if the projectile, far from it now, doesn't hit something? Why would the energy shell for U-turn care if you hit a foe, or say, a Barrier, a Rock Tomb, etc?

I will fight such a change tooth and nail.
Honestly this thought process just implies that the energy should pull them back even if the projectile is shot into the air. I mean we really need to stop pussyfooting around with this and go hard one way or the other. Either the energies are completely independent of eachother or they're completely dependent of eachother. Not some weird mix that makes no sense.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Whatever Sneasel says is right
Old 01-06-2015, 12:58 AM   #1323
Emi
ACHILLESSSSS

That's not at all what I said. I said it was a centralizing mechanic, not the only centralizing mechanic. To be honest, winning a Switch = KO mainly comes down to bringing switchers and bringing Pokemon with good movepools who won't be as dicked if they get switched out of. Pokemon that don't have these traits are pretty big liabilities and generally need some outstanding trait to them to make them worthwhile. Switch = OK is fairer in that regard because everyone can switch, and that means you won't get stuck in a match-up (most of the time) that you don't like. This just doesn't happen in Switch = KO and its why strategies such as bait-and-switch are popular; because at the end of the day, when done correctly, this gives the user a lot of momentum on their side.

Quote:
Old 01-06-2015, 01:02 AM   #1324
Quilavaflare
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Quilavaflare
How about making switching moves use more energy if they don't hit an opponent, or just more energy in general? That way, if trainers decide to take the safe way out, they risk making their Pokemon more tired when it comes back out. For the former, something like
"U-turn requires absorbing the electric brain waves all living beings have from another Pokemon through contact or else they must use their own, requiring more energy."
I dunno, I'm just making something up, but you get what I mean. That way the old version can still be possible, while better encouraging hitting the opponent instead of the ground.

I feel like this may have been brought up before, but I didn't find anything, so please excuse this if it has... In Encore's description, it says the chance of it succeeding goes down if the target hears or sees the clapping of the user. Isn't that the point of Encore though? How does the target even know it's being Encored if it isn't supposed to hear or see the applause, which is what eggs it on? Or is that just a mistake in the description...?

Friend Code/Username list
3DS: 0748-3092-2840
Y Trainer Name: Roy
[Friend Safari: Paras, Vivillon, Beautifly]
Pokemon Showdown: Quilavaflare
Nintendo Network: Snowboos

Old 01-06-2015, 01:03 AM   #1325
Emi
ACHILLESSSSS

That's a mistake in the description. Still confused on why that's in there.

Quote:
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Suggestions and Inquiries