UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL

Old 11-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
UPN PASBL: Dream Breaker vs Concept

A concept is a bit like a dream, without evidence anyway. So I don't like Dave's chances here, he's going to get broken.

Good evening all, and welcome to the latest installment of "Lets see if Elsie can actually finish reffing a match for Concept without him ragequitting halfway through." So far, Handy, Ethe and Mozz have failed to complete a match with the mercurial will-he-won't-he resetting water type overhyped oversexed and overadjectived Concept. Okay, not oversexed. But the rest of it.

Facing him this time is Dream Breaker, another person who has occasionally disappeared in midbattle. I can only hope that two negatives make a positive and my pile of SP is asssured, or else I shall officially never ref for Concept again. Ever. Until he asks me again.

I'm now acutely aware my generally conversational reffing style has deteriorated into a ranting monologue worthy of some supervillain explaining the whole of his evil plan to James Bond before remembering the crucial part of the whole "kill Bond" plan, so lets have less of me, and more of stats:

Quote:
4 vs. 4
Equilevel 3
96 Hr DQ
Slapstick
Return = KO
And our arena is something a little different, and one which almost certainly inspires me to allow my Empoleon to do a bit of the reffing and include the lame gags from Penguin bars every now and then.

Quote:
Frozen River (Outdoor. Advanced Ice Arena): An advanced level arena, not recommended for novice referees or trainers. Ice sheet covering a flowing river. Ice can be melted, in which case the arena becomes like a River Arena with the exception that Pontoon (Ice) rules come into effect.
Special Rules: Ice Field, Snow Cover, Terrain Edge (Forest), Water under Ice, Thin Ice

Ice, Ice, Baby.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Cubone View Post
A concept is a bit like a dream, without evidence anyway. So I don't like Dave's chances here, he's going to get broken.

Okay, not oversexed. But the rest of it.
1. Thanks.

2. Not oversexed?
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:38 PM   #3
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

Send a message via Skype™ to Deebs
G'luck Dave. Hopefully I don't disappoint.

Cyril: Genderless Starmie [Level 3]

Ilyana: Female Seadra [Level 4]

Sunite: Female Lanturn [Level 3]

Tiamat: Female Corsola [Level 3]

Firion: Male Tentacool [Level 3]

Dyrim: Male Wartortle [Level 3]

Last edited by Deebs; 11-08-2010 at 08:58 PM. Reason: We're on a first name basis, alright?
Deebs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:14 AM   #4
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Good luck dude.

Level 4:

Alexander the Blastoise (Male)
Blastoise: (Water) The largest of the Squirtle line, Blastoise is the least agile of the three. However, it is much tougher, its shell is harder and heavier, and it’s the fastest of the Squirtle line in the water and on land. Like Squirtles and Wartortles, however, they are vulnerable if knocked on their backs, though Blastoise are more “set” than the rest of the Squirtle line, and are harder to knock down.
Bio: Alexander always hated dirt and mud, and spent much of his time cleaning himself off with water gun. I tried to get him to train with various ground types, in an attempt to train him in ground moves and help fight his electric weakness, but he rejected them all as being too dirty. Eventually, I managed to get him to train with a Baltoy, as Baltoy's levitation kept him away from the dirt and "clean as a whistle" as Archibold put it.
Special Training: Gaia (Ground)
Due to his hatred of dirt, Alexander can no longer use Muddy Water or Mud Slap. However, due to his training with Baltoy, his Hidden Power is of the ground type.

Level 3:

Monarch the Gyarados (Female)
Gyarados: (Water/Flying) Gyarados are terrifying, and for good reason. If a Pokemon would be afraid of Gyarados, then Gyarados’ fear attacks are more effective. Gyarados is equally at home on land or in the water.
Bio: Monarch has the same penchant for mindless destruction as all others of her species. In fact, she gets a little too into it at times, and it can be quite hard to get her out of it.
Special Training: Rinse and Repeat (Typeless)
Monarch gets very enthusiastic in her destruction. Her effectiveness increases as she repeats an attack. If she uses the same attack twice in a row, the second use is 10% more powerful and 10% more energy intensive than usual. The third time in a row is 20% more energy using and damaging, and the fourth 30%. Any subsequent uses remain at 30% until she uses another move. However, due to her enthusiasm, there is a 10% chance after the second use in a row that she'll refuse an order to do something else and use the same move again, a 20% chance after the third use, a 30% chance after the fourth use and for subsequent uses. Note that this sig only applies for successive uses; once she uses a different move, the effect is reset.

Christiaan the Poliwhirl (Male)
Poliwhirl: (Water) Poliwhirl are capable of decent movement on land, though they still prefer the water. All of the Poliwag family secrete a sort of slime when out of the water, which makes them more slippery and harder to grab.
For some reason, everyone seems obsessed with Mexican 'mon.
Mine is Dutch.
Christiaan is the result of a Poliwhirl breeding with a pure-bred Ludicolo. His mother, sadly died during childbirth, and he lived in the Eterna forest, raised by the Ludicolo. As such, his upbringing was not what is typical for a Poliwag. The poor lad suffered terrible headaches from the effects of moss rock, and the training he received didn't exactly seem fitting for a water type.
Special Training: Frogman (Grass)
Due to his parentage and upbringing with Ludicolo and close to moss rock, Christiaan has a certain grass type affinity. He is considered familiar with grass type attacks (as waters generally are with ice type moves) and has the same amount of grass energy a normal water would have ice energy. He gains the moves Seed Bomb, Energy Ball and Giga Drain. He loses all Ice moves and will not have access to ice punch either when he would gain it upon evolution (ie all his ice moves).

Old Rosie the Quagsire (Female)
Quagsire: (Water/Ground) Quagsire move at a decent clip on land, and a respectable pace in the water, though they prefer shallow, slow water to deep, fast currents. Wooper and Quagsire are coated with a slimy substance, which makes them harder to grab.
My Quagsire is excessively annoying. I only keep her around because she's useful.
Signature Move: Terra Cannon (Ground)
Seeking a more effective and purer way to harness her ground energy, Old Rosie has perfected Terra Cannon. It is a beam of Ground energy, that can be charged to full charge (fire blast level), mid charge (thunderbolt level), or quick charge (1/2 thunderbolt level).

Gemini the Starmie (Genderless)
Starmie: (Water/Psychic) Starmie and Staryu are, technically, blind. However, they use their senses, along with an excellent sense of touch, to detect opponents. Starmie and Staryu are capable of limited flight by using psychic energy. A Starmie or Staryu’s core is its most vulnerable point.
Bio: Gemini has always believed she belonged with the stars. She has a major god complex, believing she needs to save everyone. One thing she was always jealous of though was flying types sheer manoeuvrability, which far exceeded her species characteristic bestowed limited psychic flight. She worked at it hard, and eventually improved, although she never did reach the heights of a bird pokemon.
Special Training: Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly (Psychic)
Gemini's extensive training has increased the power of her psychic flight. In addition to her original species characteristic bestowed flight powers, star power gives her the flight capabilities of a Magnemite, with similar limitations on flight ceiling and speed. Gemini enters battle with star power active, and burns through moderate energy each round to keep it so (half that if she's underwater due to her natural ability to move underwater). In addition, physical movements and attacks cost slightly more energy when star power is active in the same way they do when agility is active. Star power can be deactivated at the cost of a move, and reactivated at the cost of a thunderbolts worth of psychic energy. However, she cannot reactivate it for two rounds after it's been deactivated.

Echo Falls the Milotic (Female)
Milotic: (Water) Milotic's Attract and similar attacks are much more effective then normal. As an attack once per battle, it can calm down an opponent with a calming aura. Doing so can get rid of any mental boosting moves the opponent might have.

No sig.

Christiaan, let's kick this off.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #5
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

"Firion. Dive through the thin ice and meet Christiaan with a Poison Jab if he follows. Swords Dance if he doesn't."
Old 11-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

"Dive with him to bring you a couple metres away from him, then focussed psychic blast when he tries to jab you."
Old 11-11-2010, 03:44 PM   #7
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Round One: Schmoke and a Poliwhirl Pancake?

Congratulations, two cool Water types to start us off. Not so sure about the orders though...sod the whole ice sheet. Busy few days, apologies for uninspiring reffing.

Pokéballs fly and our two Pokémon are released: a Tentacool named Firion and a Poliwhirl names Christiaan, who seems to be Dutch, much to my pleasure. There will be puns. Anyway, the stare down is essentially over before it begins as both Dive down through the Ice into the near-freezing water below. I’d rather presumed Tentacool might fail to smash his way through even a thin Ice sheet, but apparently Firion weighs a surprisingly heavy 45kg and therefore smashes through easily enough, both Pokémon getting a decent distance below the surface before they turn to face eachother, arms, tentacles and tempers raised.

Striking whilst the water is cold, Firion darts forwards through the water with a Poison Jab, aiming tentacle charged with purple energy into the centre of Poliwhirl’s spiral-patterned stomach. Christiaan reacts quickly however with a close range Psychic blast, deflecting the blow into his shoulder to prevent excessive pain, although this is slapstick anyway, while dealing heavy damage to the weakness of Tentacool. The two Pokémon float a little distance apart, licking their wounds from that first round.

Summary

The two Pokémon are in the subzero waters now, although neither seem terribly afflicted by the water, prolonged exposure may slow them down a bit. Tentacool took more damage, coming up the end of his first quarter, while Poliwhirl took a good blow too. Their energy situations are similar, but Poliwhirl’s psychic energy is down to about half.

Last edited by Lonely Cubone; 11-11-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

How the hell is Poliwhirl lighter than Tentacool? I want some of whatever gamefreak was smoking.

Energy ball to skull bash.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:06 PM   #9
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

"Hidden Power through his Energy Ball, then meet his Skull Bash with one of your own. You're heavier so you should fare pretty well. At the end, latch on with your tentacles and Giga Drain."

Three-mover confirmed.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:25 PM   #10
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Round Two: A clash of heads

Bit of a funny one huh?

Below the frozen ice and fairly deep down in the bitterly cold water, our eyes settle upon the continuing battle between Tentacool and Poliwhirl, with both seemingly a little dusty due to some distinctly slow reffing from someone or other. Not me, that’s for sure.

Poliwhirl kicks off the round with an Energy Ball, usually a reliable super effective option in water matchups, but one which would have been reasonably negated by Tentacool’s part poison-type if it were not even more effectively negated by being popped by a Hidden Power attack from Firion. The two attacks collide and explode in the manner of a depth charge, sending water and Pokémon flying back a little, moderately hurt but more surprised than anything else.

Both Pokémon are still spoiling for a fight however, and both have a cunning plan...on one side, Firion lowers his head, which begins glowing...on the other, Christiaan lowers his head, which begins glowing. Neither seem particularly aware of what their opponent is doing, but both swim forwards vigorously to collide with considerable force, two fairly well matched heads, with more weight behind Tentacool but a somewhat stronger skull from Poliwhirl. Strangely, the swapped attacks don’t do much damage with neither Pokémon having a particularly impressive skull and the two somewhat cancelling each other out.

Tentacool isn’t done yet though, deciding that an impressively energy inefficient round should finish up by redressing the balance, latching onto Christiaan and beginning a Giga Drain, doing his best impression of one of those Facehuggers from Alien as he sucks plenty of energy from the amphibian.

Summary

A very bad round for Christiaan’s energy, which is now below three quarters and down to around half for psychic and three quarters (albeit of a larger pool) for grass, while Firion’s is approaching that but better off, also down to half for grass. Healthwise, the two are a small way either side of three quarters, with Firion lower.

Distances wise, well, easy enough: Tentacool is attached to Poliwhirl’s face.

Last edited by Lonely Cubone; 11-20-2010 at 01:51 AM.
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #11
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

"Since you're a little fresher and so close to his face, deliver a nice Poison Jab to his eye. Push him away with a Muddy Water afterwards."
Old 11-21-2010, 07:41 AM   #12
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Psychic to blast him back, then wipe the muddy shiz out to clear your vision after his muddy water.

Last edited by Concept; 11-21-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:06 PM   #13
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Round 3: In the face! In the faaaaaaace!

Hey guys. So I'll take this over. Elsie's given me his health/energy, so I haven't changed anything. Hopefully we can get a little speed on this now.

Suddenly, a patch of ice at the top of the river shatters on impact. A large, reptillian Pokémon descends from above. As the Lapras approaches, a smaller shape detatches from his shell, scooting through the water via jet-propulsion. The two take up positions between the icy surface and the riverbed, ready to report on the match at hand.

"Well, I need to get used to these temperatures for when I evolve. So why not?" shrugs the Shellder. An impressive feat when you lack limbs. "Anyways, welcome back to this battle, which has been on hiatus for a bit. This is Not Handy, accompanied by Biffy, the Scottish Lapras, arriving at pitchside in medias res, where Deebs and Concept are slugging it out. With only two rounds in, it's not so much of a headache to work out relative damage and energy levels, so let's hop straight back to Christiaan the Poliwhirl and a Firion the Tentacool duking it out."

"Alrighty. Capitalising on the fact he's latched ontae his opponent's face, the jellyfish brings one tentacle back, before jabbing it into Christiaan's eye in a Poison Jab." the plesiosaur winces. "While the tadpole thrashes, he fortunately escapes intoxication, and the following blast of Psychic energy loosens the cnidarian's grip, chucking him back through the water, taking hefty damage in the process."

"In reply, Firion opens the waste tanks, spewing some Muddy Water forth. This smacks into the opposing Water-type, some getting in his eyes, but the hypnotoed just wipes the debris out, clearing his vision."

"While Christiaan is now a good way into his second health quarter, he's still above his foe, Firion having dipped under the midpoint. As for energy, the Tentacool maintains a lead, both burning through the second quarter, while Christiaan's used all his Psychic reserves."

"The two are a couple metres apart now, but that's it. Well, the Water's slightly muddy."

"Orders from Concept."

Fizzy Bubbles - Cable Club Post - Wild Future

Spoiler: show

Various awesome artstuffs by DaisyInari

DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:45 PM   #14
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

Surely a jab to the eye would temporary limit his vision if only a little bit, eh?
Old 11-28-2010, 08:44 AM   #15
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

I can't see it'd make much difference - there's no way I was going to miss when Tentacool was attached to Poliwhirls face.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #16
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Also he wiped mud out of his eyes at the end, which would sorta 'soothe' the area.

Also he has another eye.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:13 PM   #17
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

I wasn't trying to get you to miss; wave-form Psychic would hardly miss at close-range anyway.

I don't see how wiping mud and debris across and off of your eye will ease anything if it's been irritated by Poison energy from a hefty tentacle. Not to mention that sounds counter-intuitive. Anything that gets in your eye isn't going to be soothed with mud.

Have you ever been poked in the eye before with just a finger? It's irritating as hell.

But whatever, let's move on.

Last edited by Deebs; 11-28-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:25 PM   #18
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Hidden power to secret power.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:36 AM   #19
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

Hidden Power is a physical-type beam like Hyper Beam (Secret Power should be too); it's the only reason I ordered it. I'll find the attack description I found it from.

Right, I was considering using Mirror Coat, so...

Quote:
Mirror Coat (PS) -- The user shimmers and glows with a red aura similar to Counter, and special attacks are bounced back toward their source. Attacks which are "Mirror Coat-able" are simply those which are not "Counter-able". This means that any attack which isn't "where the opponent hits the opponent with its body, a weapon (Bone Club), a non-special, solid projectile (Rock Slide), or a physical type beam attack (Hyper Beam, Hidden Power)" can be reflected with Mirror Coat. The user of Mirror Coat still takes the given damage and suffers fatigue from the strain of redirecting attacks. The redirected attack is of the same element and same power as the original attack, but always has good accuracy and does not take any time to charge. The base percentage for this attack succeeding is 60%, with the following modifiers: If the Pokemon using it is Wynaut or Wobbuffet, the base percentage is now 85%; The chance of the attack succeeding also depends on level and power, with a Solar Beam from a higher level Snorlax having a significantly lowered chance of succeeding, while a level 1 Wooper's Water Gun should almost always be Mirror Coat-able; Multiple uses by a Pokemon who is not Wynaut or Wobbuffet will lower the success rate at the referee's discretion. Energy usage is directly proportional to the attack Mirror Coat-ed, as even a failed Mirror Coat of a Fire Blast will use considerable energy. If the original attack would KO the Pokémon ordered to use Mirror Coat, Mirror Coat fails.
...which Barrier should be able to take, yes?
Old 12-03-2010, 11:40 AM   #20
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

I've never heard of Hidden Power being a physical attack. I always thought stuff like Hyper Beam being described as 'physical' was because it always was prior to the Physical/Special split in Gen IV and that it was considered special from then on, that being due to outdated atkscripts.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:40 AM   #21
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

That's long been known to be stupid (read: Mozz drunkeness). Beam attacks are energy. I recall a similar situation with me vs ID (take 1) where he asked if, being a physical beam attack, hyper beam would ignore light screen. I believe he was told that the idea of a physical beam attack was stupid.

I've no problem with you reordering that round though.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #22
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

That'd be cool. Thanks for clearing that up, though I probably should have already known that. Thought it was odd, though.

"Skull Bash through, follow up with a Poison Jab to the most vulnerable place you can find."
Old 12-03-2010, 12:02 PM   #23
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Round 4: lolRNG

"Rubbing his injured eye, Christiaan's optic centres then glow, as he fires a rainbow burst of Hidden Power at his tentacled oppponent." Not Handy reports. "The Tentacool's cranial float glows, charging forward with a Skull Bash, absorbing part of the attack before smashing into the Poliwhirl."

"The amphibian then glows pink, firing more Power, this time of the Secret variety. The powdery attack smacks the Jellyfish at close range, causing Firion's eyelids to droop, the beam having caused him to become somewhat drowsy." the Lapras notes. "Lazily, he thrusts an arm forward for a Poison Jab to the Poliwog's face, but Christiaan is able to sidestep a bit, still getting caught on the shoulder. However, he then shudders, the attack apparantly injecting some poison into his body."

"Christiaan has just dipped under the midpoint of both health and energy, but only just. Firion just over the energy midpoint, having an edge, but his health is a long way below that mark, just under his foe."

"They're up-close again. Christiaan is poisoned, whereas Firion is drowsy."

"Deebs to order."

Old 12-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #24
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

Bah. You just had to roll again. xd

"You're still awake, so close-range Confuse Ray. Perk yourself up with an Acupressure if he's befuddled, otherwise he'll surely wake you up himself, so respond with some Sludge Bombs."
Old 12-04-2010, 08:02 AM   #25
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Close eyes, then a couple seconds later respond with mud bomb.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL