UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL

Old 08-02-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

UPN PASBL: Salamencia vs Kush - Regirock Frenzy!

Hey look, it's a match that will make me able to afford Regirock once it's over. On the other hand, given the potential length of this match, I could well end up picking up and finishing a couple of 1v1 RFs before, which makes the title somewhat misleading.

Kush (c) vs Salamencia (a)
4 vs 4
Singles
72 hr DQ
Slapstick
Equilevel
Return = OK
Playground (Outdoor Custom Arena): This arena is a school playground, complete with a swing set, sandy ground, monkey bars, jungle gym, and a standard playground structure with several slides protruding from it. Since the battle is taking place during recess, children and their Pokémon will be watching the battle. The Special Rules Pokémon Level Restriction (3), Onlookers (children watching from the sidelines), Wild Pokémon (starter and common Pokémon, owned by the children), Sandy, Terrain edge (concrete), Building Edge (Kanto elementary school) are used. If the battle spills over into the Kanto elementary school, the rules Onlookers (children and teachers), Confined, Exposed To Outside (windows), and Easily Destroyed come into effect.

Gogo Kush.
ZoraJolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
Mercutio
Banned

Ah, TL3 level reduction. On the one hand it stops me using Charizard, on the other it stops me using Venusaur. Ah well. You're not restricted in the same way Sally and your squad is pretty sweet (I like Espeon but Scizor is lame). Good luck to you. I've checked your squad out but I'm not basing my team on defeating yours; this is a fun battle so feel free to destroy me. Just make it entertaining ;)

Thanks Zora, I owe you. My apologies for using such lame pokémon. You are Jesus. etc etc.

Sera (Level 3 female Sneasel); My starter pokémon, she's always with me wherever I go and is surprisingly warm hearted... for a Sneasel. Through she's a Dark type, she's lovable really and gets along with everybody she meets. If she doesn't, she generally gets around with the problem by inserting a sharp claw into it and twisting until it stops kicking. She's a bit of a geek and is very into her webcomics, loving Ctrl+Alt+Del, XKCD, all of them. This has manifested in a strange desire to be Dr McNinja, who of course secretly wants to be Batman, who secretly wants to be an ace pokemon trainer named Gligarman... To this end, she relentlessly trains her dodging technique at all times and eschews the notion of using pure power to achieve an objective.
Sig trait: "What would Batman do?"; Sera is 'teh ninjaz', whatever that means. She can use a "Ninja round", which is a three move combination that only she may use and does not count towards the limit of three movers in a match. The drawback is that, when using a three move combo at any time, she must always use Agility to dodge (not Agility to boost) at least twice. Thus she could use "Agility, Agility, Brick Break" or "Ice Beam, Agility, Agility" but not "Ice Beam, Blizzard, Ice Beam". Focusing on quick strikes and fluid movement, she cannot use Focus Punch. The ninja round may not be used in 1v1 or 2v2 Doubles matches and may only be used once per battle. It can only be used once per battle.

Phantasmic (Level 3 genderless Magneton); Phantasmic used to provide power to my home, but I brought it with me for a little power up. Since then it has enjoyed training and battling and seems more suited to this than floating around a cul-de-sac. Phantasmic can be an erratic little tyke and likes to play hide and seek, when he's not assisting me with my reffings.. This is something it's very good at, and often involves practicing it's favourite move; Teleport.
Sig Training: "Can you teleport inside?"; Phantasmic is considered to be a psychic type for the purposes of the move Teleport. As such the move will not fail of it's own accord, though Phantasmic may be taunted out of it or interrupted as normal. The move is also much less draining on Phantasmic's general energy compared to another of it's species. Phantasmic does not take his energy from his normal psychic type energy pool to perform the move, but rather from a "teleport pool". There is a good amount of energy in here and thus Phantasmic may use the move three times per battle. However, his psychic pool of energy is under developed as a result and is only 2/3 of the normal size. The same is true of Phantasmic's bug energy pool. Due to it's erratic nature, Phantasmic may not use the move Lock On.

Toby (Level 3 male Monferno); Toby is a happy little chappy, always bounding about and full of energy. I've actually discovered that he's more energetic than normal for members of his species, although the cause of that energy is quite interesting. Needless to say, I'm intrigued by the potential of this guy. He's a little sensitive about his height though.
Sig Trait: "Full of beans"; Toby is brimming with energy and has 20% more than usual for members of his species. The reason for this is a build up of evolution energy- Toby would have evolved early but refuses to do so, and uses this extra energy in his everyday life- and in battles. Toby is, however, about 10% smaller than normal members of his species and his physical strength is slightly less- he's 10% weaker with Physical attacks. He may never evolve into Infernape.

Slashy McGee (Level 3 male Sandslash); Caught because I thought it would be cool to one day have a ground type that wasn't weak to Focus Punch, Slashy is a robust member of my squad. Contrary to his name, very mild mannered and a pleasant fellow to be around. He's actually quite sweet, and has a fondness for BBQ sauce. Through training, I have developed his abilities with his natural Ground type in order to better make use of his Swords Dance capability.
Sig move: "Slashy slashy" (Ground); This is basically a Ground typed X-Scissor, dealing exactly the same amount of damage and costing the same energy, simply with ground instead of bug. However, he cannot use X-Scissor, Aerial Ace, or Fury Cutter.

Sunny (Level 3 female Sunflora); Sunny, despite belonging to a species even I_D wouldn't touch with a bargepole, is awesome. She is so awesome in fact that she's come to accept her virtual uselessness in the PASBL environment as a blessing, as people underestimate her so much only to get pwned by her righteous fury later on. Much later on. She's come to use a quirk of mine in battle, as it often times pisses her opponents off so much they stop battling for a while and just headbang the floor.
Sig move: "You just lost the game" (Typeless); When Sunny emits her battle cry of "I lost the game", all other pokémon (allied and enemy) on the field are interrupted and cease their action, be that an attack or a dodge command, thus causing it to fail. They spend a few seconds bemoaning the fact that they too lost the game before beginning to move again. Sunny herself does the same thing during this time, and thus cannot attack for a few seconds after using the move. This move can only be used once a match and costs the energy of a Flamethrower to use. Sunny has forgotten how to use Grasswhistle.

Ruby (Level 3 genderless Starmie); Caught in the moonlit night at the start of my journey, Ruby was always certain to be a powerful pokemon for me. Ruby has learned to blast its opponents into smithereens with its powerful moves and is not someone to take lightly, well adapted for the competitive scene. In fact its entire makeup is geared towards the competitive battling side of ASB, though that weakness to Shadow Ball still needs dealing with.
Sig training: "Thunderbolts and lightning, very very frightening"; Ruby's Thunderbolt and Ice Beam moves are 1.25x more powerful at no additional energy cost. Such a brutal moveset has left Ruby somewhat lacking in the mind over matter department and Ruby is 'unfamiliar' with Psychic typed moves and be considered a non psychic type for the purposes of energy (it will be able to run out of Psychic energy).

Last edited by Mercutio; 08-02-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
Salamencia
UPN's very own Houdini

Send a message via Skype™ to Salamencia
Eh, I like Scizor myself, but it's got such a buzz surrounding it now, so it's a love/hate Pokemon. And I love your Sunflora. Hell, most of your squad is nice. Thanks for picking this up, Zora, and good luck Kush. This should definitely be interesting. Generic un-prepared squad follows, with Equilevel applied.

Celeste: Genderless Staryu (Level 3) - Celeste, being a hard pokemon to interpret, is still quite a mystery to me, but it does seem to enjoy passing its time relaxing in water. In battle, it's reliable and able to hold its own well.
No Signature Move

Prima: Female Aipom (Level 3) - Prima is the flirt of the group. She often spends her time walking around and trying to impress everything male she sees, even if it doesn't understand what she's saying. In battle she drops this attitude, however, and obeys her trainers commands.
After a lot of thought, I finally remembered what originally attracted me to Aipom. The gimmicky tail-arm. With that in mind, I decided that this third arm would be the basis for Prima’s sig, and worked on developing her punches.
Special Training: GIVE IT SOME TAIL-ARM! (Typeless)
Because she has spent so much time strengthening her tail, all attacks that strike the opponent with said tail (including punches, slaps, etc…) are 20% stronger. However, due to her focus on this tail, her remaining physical attacks (scratches and physical attacks that don’t use hands) are reduced in strength by 20%. In addition, all of her physical attacks, no matter what part of her body they use, use 10% more energy than normal.

Helia: Female Quilava (Level 3) - I met her in an alley when she was just a Cyndaquil, fending for herself. She finds it hard to open up to others, but is a loyal companion when she trusts someone. She can hold her own well in a battle, but never seems to be able to trust her opponents after the battle is over.
No Signature Move

Blaine: Male Kadabra (Level 3) - A loner, like Ares, his long hours of sleep make him seem a dull character, and he is. Even when he's awake, Blaine sits by himself. He won't attack strangers, but he never joins anyone to do anything. He only seems to interact with people that show a relatively high level of intelligence. In battle he constantly thinks through the moves he makes, and might not follow a command if it doesn't seem logical or reasonable in any way.
Special Training: Logic is the heart of the world (Typeless)
Due to his straightforward and logical mind, Blaine doesn't tend to fall in love. As such, he is 10% less likely to be Attracted or Captivated. However, he cannot perform Attract or Captivate himself. He also gets a slight increase in his special attack strength due to his intelligence, but all of his special attacks cost slightly more energy. He cannot use Taunt or Swagger either, as he doesn't see the logic in further angering his opponent.

Caprice: Female Flaaffy (Level 3) - Caprice is a dreamer. She spends her time in fields, watching the clouds pass by, wishing her life was as simple as that of a cloud. She doesn't have as much dedication to training as the other members of my squad, but she still trains when she feels like it. She takes her battles seriously, but only so that she can enjoy a good rest without interruptions afterwards. Her electrical prowess is the reason I added her to my squad. Being a Flaaffy, she uses the light on her tail quite a lot to see when there is no natural light, and she has learned to harness the energy expended when lighting her tail, and has reached her maximum potential. This obssession with sight, however, has lead to a slight reduction of all of her other senses and ability to sense danger.
Special Training: Glowing with potential (Typeless)
Caprice can now use Tail Glow, but cannot use Endure or Odor Sleuth, since her sense of smell and natural danger aren't as strong as usual.

Zudo: Male Nidorino (Level 3) - An aggressive and devious Pokemon, Zudo uses his poisonous attacks to try and sustain power over anyone he deems worthy to serve him. He is one of the harder members of the team to control, and held a similar attitude in battle, brutally attacking whenever he can. He finally realised, however, that he needed strategy to win some battles, so now listens more. He is a good friend to Ares. While he agrees to listen, he still worked on discovering a way to use his devious and manipulative nature, and managed to pick up a few new moves from comrades and opponents.
Special Training: Corruption (Dark)
Due to his dark nature, Zudo can now use Nasty Plot, Taunt and Snatch. However, due to his lack of respect for most others and belief that he is stronger by himself, he cannot use Helping Hand, Captivate, Attract, Flatter, Sweet Kiss, Lovely Kiss, Mimic or Amnesia.

Damn that squad for being extremely balanced, and damn me for not using my Miltank in favour of Aipom. Anyway, I'm expecting Ruby to come out as a counter, but Zudo's my first choice.

WF

Yes, I am online. No, I am not ASBing currently. WF takes priority, as it tends to take up less of my time.
Salamencia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
Mercutio
Banned

Sera swapped for Sophie fyi.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
Mercutio
Banned

Oh god damn it Sally you ninja'd me :p One sec, switching back, then will post orders.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:25 PM   #6
Mercutio
Banned

Nah, I'll be starting out with Toby. When there's a choice between choosing a fire monkey that isn't Infailape and choosing some other pokémon, always choose the monkey.

Toby, Flamethrower him and Taunt if they try to boost up.

Last edited by Mercutio; 08-02-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:48 AM   #7
Salamencia
UPN's very own Houdini

Interesting fact: Nidorino can learn Bubblebeam and Water Gun, but Nidoran can't. Nidoran can learn Water Pulse (which Nidorino gets too), though.

Try a Water Gun to at least reduce Flamethrower's power, then Poison Jab while he does nothing.

WF

Yes, I am online. No, I am not ASBing currently. WF takes priority, as it tends to take up less of my time.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:28 AM   #8
Mercutio
Banned

Interesting fact: I looked at their movepools before choosing but basically chose Toby because I haven't used him in a while and this match up can't end in a typespam fest.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #9
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

And so what is sure to be a fascinating battle gets underway, as Salamencia opens with Zudo the Nidorino, while Kush counters with Toby the Monferno. Which is not just crazy because Monferno is a terrible Pokémon and has no place on anybody's squad, but also crazy because he runs the risk of getting hit by a TRIPLE CONFUSION!

Kush opens by ordering his mon to do something, then nearly half an hour later changes his mind and orders it to do something else! Unfortunantly I don't think I caught what the original post was, so the round just begins with Toby using Flamethrower. Zudo counters as he blasts out a Water Gun, dousing the majority of the flames and producing a giant cloud of steam, as the remaining fire carries on to singe him for light damage.

Toby then waits seeing if the time is right to use Taunt. He realises that Taunt is not required as Zudo charges into him, the Poison-type Poison Jabbing his Poisonous Horn into the monkey, Poisoning him.

Both Pokémon took damage. Both Pokémon consumed energy. Toby is Poisoned.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #10
Salamencia
UPN's very own Houdini

>Implying triple Confusion is a good strategy
Also, I indicated the Water moves simply because those are just about the only moves Nidoran really ought to get but doesn't.

Supersonic to start, and then if Toby tries to get a boost, Snatch it. If not, give yourself a boost with Nasty Plot near the end of the round.

WF

Old 08-05-2010, 02:31 PM   #11
Mercutio
Banned

... did not see that you had posted.

Magic Coat the Supersonic. Then Nasty Plot.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #12
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

Hmm.

Well, Zudo opens with Supersonic, and Toby is confused because his trainer has ordered him to use a move he can't use. Then he's actually confused due to the Supersonic.

That's the easy bit.

In his confusion, Toby tries to formulate a Nasty Plot, but Zudo is ready, and prepares to Snatch it. Now, in his confused state, the plot that Toby comes up with would be more suited to Wile E Coyote than Sinestro. But how does Snatch work? Does it work like in the games, where the Snatcher ends up using the move the Snatchee was going to use, or does it just steal the effect that the Snatchee's move had. Personally, I'd like it to be the former, as that means that one day I can use the Glorious Gastrodon Gambit Two: GLORY HARDER when I get someone to Snatch my Curse, then suddenly wipe out all their energy with a TRIPLE STOCKPILE that they're forced to Snatch. But I think it probably works the latter way, and lo, Zudo now has the benefit of Toby's Nasty Plot, which being a rather RETARDED PLAN! doesn't actually confer any noticable special attack boost.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #13
Mercutio
Banned

Um, sweetie, Monferno gets Magic Coat. Veekun says so.

Oh, right, you don't trust Veekun do you. Guess I'd better check Serebii.

Re ref please.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #14
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

Both are wrong. End of debate.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:55 PM   #15
Mercutio
Banned

Your reasoning please Zora?
Old 08-05-2010, 02:57 PM   #16
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

My copy of HeartGold.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #17
Mercutio
Banned

Yeah but, really though? I mean, I have no reason to assume you're lying and I cba to find any other evidence other than the entire internet and I don't really care too much. But would you care to prove it?
Old 08-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #18
Mercutio
Banned

Now, we should probably get a reorder since all available evidence led me to the error but let's ignore protocool and use Calm Mind. Then we'll use a Flamethrower.

:p Wuv you Zora.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #19
Salamencia
UPN's very own Houdini

Assuming that this isn't a re-order.

Let Flamethrower happen. Then Nasty Plot, and Water Pulse because that motherfrakker took all of 1 hour 29 minutes to accept the reffing.

WF

Old 08-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #20
Mercutio
Banned

Lol.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:55 PM   #21
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

Toby tries to Calm his Mind and become unconfused, but once again he fails, as Zudo Snatches the effect from him, causing the already unconfused Zudo becomes even unconfuseder.

Confused as to why he is still confused, Toby attempts a Flamethrower, but it's just not his day, as in his confusion he misjudges his aim, firing the fire past Zudo, who is Plotting Nastyly.

With his Special Attack all pumped up, Zudo fires off a Water Pulse, prompting Toby to snap back to his senses from the cold shower the orb bursts into, as it strikes him in the chest.

Toby is now well below three quarters health, while Zudo is in a similar position energy wise. Meanwhile Zudo's health and Toby's (overinflated) energy pool are both still above three quarters.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #22
Salamencia
UPN's very own Houdini

>Water Pulse not re-confusing for a lessened effect

Damn. Anyway, somehow we're in the lead, so keep it up. No typespam this time, just plain old reliable Sludge Bomb. Should Toby try a Focus Punch or Dynamicpunch, use Disable once he's started gathering the energy for the attack. Otherwise, just relax.

WF

Old 08-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #23
Mercutio
Banned

Why would I use a slow charge NVE attack on you? Anyway, yeah, they're in the lead Toby. That's lolworthy so Fake Out to prevent Sludge Bomb. Then since we can't boost and they've been asked to relax, Fire Blast.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:05 PM   #24
Salamencia
UPN's very own Houdini

Because Focus Punch is... Focus Punch? Anyway, D-Punch is your only method of confusing me, if I know Monferno like I think I do, and I dislike confusion.

EDIT: I did think it through, I'm sure... I just can't remember what the hell I was thinking.

WF

Old 08-05-2010, 05:08 PM   #25
Mercutio
Banned

No, I can use Magic Coat to reflect your confusion attacks back.

Actually Rock Climb may confuse so I could use that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL