UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2010, 11:56 AM   #26
Talon87
Shenmue III, baby!
 
Talon87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lafayette, Indiana
Posts: 20,197
Send a message via AIM to Talon87
Yeah, I played Pocket Monsters Red back in 2005 or 2006. I forget if I beat the game (probably did) or not, but I distinctly remember getting as far as Cinnibar Island.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:38 PM   #27
Treepandaone
Original Gangsters
 
Treepandaone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,052
Cool, I only had the western versions of the game. Wish I did have the first ones, would've been one for the collection I bet.
Treepandaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:18 PM   #28
Talon87
Shenmue III, baby!
 
Talon87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lafayette, Indiana
Posts: 20,197
Send a message via AIM to Talon87
Well, it was a rom I played on a modded XBox (now deceased, RIP ), so don't envy me too much. I had a blast playing the game and seeing all of the original dialogue which Nintendo USA censored when the games came over here, and I even made a thread about it with lots of posts. But it may be lost now to time, like a lot of other threads.

The most poignant observation I made when I played was just how naughty the 1st Gen Beauties were. Called おとなのおねえさん in the original game ("a grown-up Onee-san", it's a way of saying "a stranger who is a young adult woman"), these girls would constantly say things which were really awkward coming from an older woman directed towards a 10-year old boy. It deliciously straddled the line between "awwwww, idn't he a kute widdle Pokemon twainer!" girls finding a little boy to be adorable and ... well, and a prostitute looking for her next customer. ^^; If I happen to find one of the .txt files I saved some of the choice bits of dialogue to, I'll let you know.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:49 PM   #29
Jerichi
本✚能
 
Jerichi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: 蒸気の波の中
Posts: 14,533
I really don't think that's the point that's being made Talon, but ok if you say so.
__________________


気紛れを 許して 今更なんて思わずに急かしてよ
もっと中迄入って あたしの衝動を 突き動かしてよ

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:36 PM   #30
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...
 
Amras.MG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Or just lurking.
Posts: 2,720
DONT RUIN THIS FOR ME JERI
__________________
Definitely a figment of your imagination
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #31
Talon87
Shenmue III, baby!
 
Talon87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lafayette, Indiana
Posts: 20,197
Send a message via AIM to Talon87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
I really don't think that's the point that's being made Talon, but ok if you say so.
Your post makes no sense. What am I "saying so"? I went off on a tangent with Treep. We're not making any points.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:48 PM   #32
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!
 
Doppleganger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Yukinomiya City, Fukushima Prefecture
Posts: 11,280
Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I think Treep wanted to know if you owned the actual R/B cartridges, as by now they'd be classified as antiques since R/B practically only exists in ROM form now.

Speaking of which, I need to look at my Pokemon cards. I've had this weird desire to look at them for a while now, it's eating me up. o_o
__________________
あなたの勇気が切り開く未来
ふたりの想いが見つけだす希望
今 信じあえる
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #33
Talon87
Shenmue III, baby!
 
Talon87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lafayette, Indiana
Posts: 20,197
Send a message via AIM to Talon87
Yes, but I already addressed that point in the sentence "Well, it was a rom I played on a modded XBox, so don't envy me too much."
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:49 AM   #34
Jerichi
本✚能
 
Jerichi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: 蒸気の波の中
Posts: 14,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Your post makes no sense. What am I "saying so"? I went off on a tangent with Treep. We're not making any points.
I probably should have quoted the post in question but I was referring to your first response.

>The problem is, the bottom half of the second image lies for the sake of its joke. It would be something else if it were real, but the sprites are (obviously) switched, just as in the first image.

The point isn't that they were originally like that but that's what they should be.
__________________


気紛れを 許して 今更なんて思わずに急かしてよ
もっと中迄入って あたしの衝動を 突き動かしてよ

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:00 AM   #35
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop
 
Tyranidos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Krusty Krab
Posts: 3,808
Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
That's some dark shit right there.
__________________
Tyranidos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:24 AM   #36
Talon87
Shenmue III, baby!
 
Talon87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lafayette, Indiana
Posts: 20,197
Send a message via AIM to Talon87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
I probably should have quoted the post in question but I was referring to your first response.

>The problem is, the bottom half of the second image lies for the sake of its joke. It would be something else if it were real, but the sprites are (obviously) switched, just as in the first image.

The point isn't that they were originally like that but that's what they should be.
I got the joke. Hence why I said "for the sake of its joke" in the very line you quoted. I just disliked that it could perpetuate a lie, that little kids could get their hands on this particular image and say, "Oh wow! Did you know that back in Red and Green the sprites were actually switched around?"
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #37
Treepandaone
Original Gangsters
 
Treepandaone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,052
But that would make it even better!
Treepandaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:48 PM   #38
Breeder KJ
Cascade Badge
 
Breeder KJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Washington, USA
Posts: 391
Send a message via Skype™ to Breeder KJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I got the joke. Hence why I said "for the sake of its joke" in the very line you quoted. I just disliked that it could perpetuate a lie, that little kids could get their hands on this particular image and say, "Oh wow! Did you know that back in Red and Green the sprites were actually switched around?"
who gives a crap about weather or not the kids think the sprites were switched around or not. Not to mention the line that Jeri quoted really makes you sound like you have no sense of humor at all....
__________________
Breeder KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:14 PM   #39
Talon87
Shenmue III, baby!
 
Talon87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lafayette, Indiana
Posts: 20,197
Send a message via AIM to Talon87
What kind of question is that? "Who really cares?" I obviously did! I wrote it, didn't I?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #40
EarthKwake
Boulder Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 190
You guys are arguing over the significance of a joke screenshot? o.o Learn to laugh, Talon.

Anyway, I think they should make a more "mature" version of Pokemon. Because nearly half of the people who play it are no longer ten. D: Perhaps a darker version ("Pokemon Grey"?) could appeal to a more mature audience, and portray a gloomier, more realistic world.
EarthKwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:02 PM   #41
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury
 
Concept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nipple-Hunting with Elsie and Kairne
Posts: 6,969
Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder KJ View Post
who gives a crap about weather or not the kids think the sprites were switched around or not. Not to mention the line that Jeri quoted really makes you sound like you have no sense of humor at all....
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthKwake View Post
You guys are arguing over the significance of a joke screenshot? o.o Learn to laugh, Talon.
Alright, cool your jets. No need to get pissy at Talon when he's not being unreasonable, even if he did go a little OTT in rambling on about it not being real.

Have to confess to personally not finding Butterfree-Venomoth particularly amusing, like most things from 4chan.

This thread has made me miss RBY loads. I shall go dig them out, methinks. Probably Yellow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
The most poignant observation I made when I played was just how naughty the 1st Gen Beauties were. Called おとなのおねえさん in the original game ("a grown-up Onee-san", it's a way of saying "a stranger who is a young adult woman"), these girls would constantly say things which were really awkward coming from an older woman directed towards a 10-year old boy. It deliciously straddled the line between "awwwww, idn't he a kute widdle Pokemon twainer!" girls finding a little boy to be adorable and ... well, and a prostitute looking for her next customer. ^^; If I happen to find one of the .txt files I saved some of the choice bits of dialogue to, I'll let you know.
O.o This made me lol. It's always interesting to see the stuff that gets changed when games are translated from Japanese - in some cases they change some really major stuff. Mistranslations/poorly done one's are also amusing (You spoony bard!)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTerry
What can the harvest hope for, if not the care of the reaper man?

Last edited by Concept; 08-17-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #42
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!
 
Doppleganger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Yukinomiya City, Fukushima Prefecture
Posts: 11,280
Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Japan has a pretty funny double standard like that. When Bandai USA was asked about the possibility of bringing over The [email protected] this year (prior to [email protected] 2's announcement) their response went something like this -

Bandai: "No, because it is too loli for America."
Reporter: "You guys have played the game right?"
Bandai: "Yes, we all love it."
Reporter: "There aren't any lolis in the game." (Note: Not *completely* true)
Bandai: "Yes, but no."
__________________
あなたの勇気が切り開く未来
ふたりの想いが見つけだす希望
今 信じあえる
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 PM.


Design By: Miner Skinz.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.