UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL

Old 06-21-2009, 03:53 AM   #1
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
Spinda UPN PASBL: Concept vs Handymankg2

Good Morning one all, welcome to the Lawn Arena which today will be playing host to a battle between two level one trainers, both of which will be going all out for the win. The form guides for this one are quite revealing, with Concept coming in with a record of 5 wins to only 1 loss, a far more favourable record than Handyman's 0 wins, 0 draws and 3 losses.

Of course, anything can happen on the day and HMKG (Which do you prefer?) will be desperate for that first win today. Good luck to both participants, lets get this show on the road.

These here be the rules:
2 vs 2 Single Battle
Switch = KO
72 hour DQ
Slapstick
Lawn Arena

Quote:
Lawn (Outdoor. Standard Arena for Outdoor Battles): A basic, standard terrain. Nothing special. The "Grass Field" arena from the Indigo Pokémon League in the anime is a prime example of a Lawn Arena.
Special Rules: None
And here is the move order:

- Handyman, a squad of 6 Pokémon please
- Concept, your 6 Pokémon and send out your initial Pokemon
- Handyman then sends out a Pokémon and orders an attack
- Concept orders an attack
- I ref
- Concept orders a second attack

And so on...
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:41 AM   #2
Handymankg2
It's the yearly visit!

Send a message via AIM to Handymankg2 Send a message via MSN to Handymankg2 Send a message via Skype™ to Handymankg2
Thanks for accepting LC!

Imp: Level 2 Male Monferno
No Signature Move

Nume: Level 1 Male Numel
Bio: Numel was captured when I visited a hot spring close to Eterna City. He was simply sitting about doing nothing, so I took the chance to capture the Numel, figuring it was fairly rare, and I needed a fire type to help balance the team out a bit more. Plus he looked fairly awesome just sitting there, so I thought, why not?
Personality: Nume is a slightly slow minded Pokemon, preferring not to think things through, rather just happily strolling along into the middle of a battle and laying down. He is extremely laid back, refusing to do anything that he seems to think is a waste of time. In battle however, he is very obedient, and although slow, he packs a punch.
Special Attack: Magma Ball (Fire)
He creates a ball of lava with the same strength of two flamethrower attacks, and it uses 150% of the energy of two flamethrowers. Its a quick ball launched from his spout, and he can only use it once every ten turns (So likely once per battle)

Spark: Level 1 Female Mareep
Bio: TBC
Personality: Spark is the ‘mother’ of the group, looking after and caring for everyone else, and attempting to help them if they get into a spot of trouble. She and Turk are ‘mates’, and as such she gives more attention to him than any of the other Pokemon. In battle she can use her powerful electric attacks to her advantage, surprising the enemies as looks can be deceiving.
Special Attack: Spark Tail (Electric)
Slams the enemy with her tail, doing the same damage as a thunderbolt, and also having a 30% chance to stun them temporarily. It uses the combined energy of a Thunderbolt and a Thunder Wave and can be used three times per battle.

Walter: Level 1 Male Wailmer
Bio: Walter was captured when I found him being picked on by some kids at the Beach. They were using him as a volley ball, much to the Wailmers discomfort, so I walked in and gave them a good talking too. I ended up having to battle four different water types with just my Turtwig. Thankfully Turk managed to secure a victory, and I captured Walter, or Walt for short.
Personality: Walter is very untrusting of humans because of the things they do to his kind, but nonetheless he gives perfectly loyal treatment to his trainer, me. He can sometimes get a little timid when competing against larger Pokemon, but will nonetheless fight them, regardless of fear.
Special Attack: Pulash (Water)
Walter grows in size by slowly spraying water into his own body, enough so that he is the size of a very fat person, before letting it all out in a huge explosion. It has the strength of a selfdestruct attack, but doesn't kill him, simply using up half of his maximum total energy supplies instead, so its very unlikely it will be used more than once.

Mable: Level 1 Female Misdreavus
Bio: Mable was captured in the dead of night, when she flew into the Pokemon Center and began to pretend she was Officer Jenny, examining the area and doing everything the Police Officer would do. I woke up, and she attacked me, slamming me into the wall and searching my pockets, taking out anything ‘dangerous’. While she began to examine the objects, I quickly turned around and threw my Pokeball, capturing her instantly.
Personality: Mable is a strict enforcer of the law, loving nothing less than to capture a criminal and arrest them using her abilities. She likes pursuing the enemy, and in battle is a best, being very speedy as well as packing a surprising punch. She does however have a unnatural fear of Eevee and the evolutions, for a reason she won’t specify to anyone.
No Signature Move

Key: Level 1 Male Mankey
Bio: Caught in the Snowpoint valleys shortly before Snover was, my Mankey has a strange difference to the rest of his species. Growing up in a group of Mankey who had adapted to living amongst the cold weather, he has become quite attuned to the coldness of the Ice type. He was quite angry when I captured him, and still is fairly angry whenever I let him out, wanting to punch me as hard as he can.
Personality: To other Pokemon, Key can be very harsh and unfair, ignoring them regardless of who they are or what they are. He hates me especially, punching me every time I come close to him. Unfortunately for his opponents, this makes him very fierce in battle, with a heart of ice, he is perfectly suited to attack and defeat his enemies (In most cases)
Special Training: Frozen Fury (Ice)
Key has been training in the depths of Snowpoints valleys his whole life, and as such he has grown very attuned to the frozen nature. He has gained the Ice type, as well as the moves Blizzard, Icy Wind, Ice Fang and Ice Shard. However, he has lost the moves Fire Punch, Thunderpunch, Overheat, Thunder and Sunny Day.

Last edited by Handymankg2; 06-21-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Handymankg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
To be fair to Handy, 4 of my 5 wins were by DQ, so it's really a 1-1-0 record :p. Just got back from work, squad up after dinner. I'll ref your match in the next few hours too LC.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:38 PM   #4
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Misdreavus level 1 Female
Bio: Misdreavus is a bit of a coward, to be perfectly honest, and really can't stand being hit.
Sig pending.

Ramone the Slowpoke level 1 Male
Bio: Slowpoke is convinced that he's the best thing to happen the psychic pokemon since sliced bread. He once bragged this to a Kadabra we met. The Kadabra then challenged him to a battle to prove it. Slowpoke had his *** handed to him on a silver platter. Disheartened, he took to moping around not doing anything (not a massive change, really, but y'know) until Kadabra offered to train with him.
Sig pending.

Elekid level 1 Male
No sig

Carlos the Nuzleaf level 2 Male
Bio: What is it about the PASBL that attracts so many illegal Mexicans and ex-cagefighters with a chip on their shoulder the size of the grand canyon? Perhaps we'll never know, but what I do know is this; Carlos is a Mexican ex-cagefighter with a chip on his shoulder the size of the grand canyon. Hailing from the hustle and bustle of Mexico city, he was exposed to the rougher side of life from a young age. Discovering he had a talent for fighting, he ended up earning money by joining an underground cagefighting circuit. He seemed like a real up and comer; just two seasons in to his career, he earned the chance to fight for the championship after emerging as an unexpected winner in a major tournament.
Unfortunately, it was not to be. The champion - a powerful and experienced Heracross - won the match easily, and left Carlos with several severe injuries. When he finally returned to the ring, his lack of practice during his prolonged recovery and the long-term damage left by some of these injures resulted in a string of embarrassing defeats. Carlos left the ring a broken pokemon. His days were spent drinking and trying to chat up the señoritas that frequented the bars.
One day, several months after his departure from cage fighting, he heard of the PASBL, and decided it presented the perfect opportunity to train and get back on form. His self stated mission; to show the PASBL exactly why so many trainers have mexicans and ex-cagefighters on their squads.
Sig pending.

Dratini level 1 Female
No sig

Simone the Ralts level 1 Female
Bio: Simone enjoys fighting. Apparently, it's the look in a pokemons eye that draws her; the look just before they faint. She hails from Cinnabar. She spent her days engaging the local pokemon - an eclectic mix of fire and poison types - and training in the sweltering tunnels that riddle the volcano.
Sig pending.

Opening with Misdreavus.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
Handymankg2
It's the yearly visit!

Send a message via AIM to Handymankg2 Send a message via MSN to Handymankg2 Send a message via Skype™ to Handymankg2
Mable, looks like this battle will be about skill rather than anything.

Start with Confuse Ray, and follow it with Will-o-Wisp
Old 06-21-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handymankg2 View Post
Mable, looks like this battle will be about skill rather than anything.
Crap, I'm going to lose then :p. Good luck Handy.

Taunt to (hopefully) render his moves useless, then fc shadow ball to the face.

Anything can be made more awesome by doing it to the face.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:52 PM   #7
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Misdreavus Round 1: Am I seeing double?

The balls are flying here on the lawn arena, and with twin explosions, they pop open to reveal twin Pokemon; on my left, from Concept, a gaseous little Misdreavus without a nickname which cowers in a manner which suggests it doesn't really fancy the fight ahead, and on my right, another Misdreavus which seems sterner and more focused on the fight from the Handyman, although this one luckily enough does have a name, Mable.

Darn, it's almost like the two battlers knew the one Pokemon family I have real trouble spelling. Fortuneately, the gods of computer based writing invented the paste function for moments like this, so Misdreavus Misdreavus Misdreavus Misdreavus Misdreavus Misdreavus Misdreavus.

Hah. It's worth pointing out that from here onwards, Misdreavus shall refer to Concept's, which has no other name. Handyman's shall instead be going by it's own moniker Mable.

And it is Mable that makes the first move, beginning to weave a Confuse Ray right before it's eyes, gazing up towards Misdreavus who issues Mable with the ghostly equivalent of a stream of foul mouthed abuse ("My Gravestone is better than yours?") Taunting Mable into dropping her Ray early, with the limited waves released making Misdreavus a little bit woozy but little else. Mable is absolutely incensed by that array of insults and decides that the Will-O-Wisp that her trainer is imploring her to use is not nearly enough, deciding instead to charge at Misdreavus who seems to be raising some sort of ball of energy in front of herself...

BOOM! (Yes, i'm Comic Book reffing this evening, sorry)

Realising what the ball of energy is just too late, Mable's eyes widen as she runs straight into an only partially charged Shadow Ball which explodes in her face (not that she has any other parts to her anatomy) and only a foot or two away from Misdreavus who seems to have taken a fairly nasty blow from that explosion as well.

Both Pokemon slink back, slightly stunned from the explosion and await further orders...

Summary

The artist formerly known as Misdreavus used up a little more energy than her opponent in this round, but took marginally less of a blow from the explosion, which has removed any lingering wooziness quite effectively.

Mable took the brunt of the explosion, but has used little to no energy and is simply bursting to use to attack her opponent, the memory of the Taunt still lingering.

Attacks from Concept sil vous plait.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:16 PM   #8
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Thunder wave to hold her in place. If it works, and she's held, fc shadow ball again for dirty dirty typespam damage. If not, agility to dodge as necessary.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Also, I've decided to officially name my Misdreavus "the artist formerly known as misdreavus".
Old 06-21-2009, 05:49 PM   #10
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

TAFKAM for the remainder of the battle as I'm buggered if I'm typing that!
Old 06-22-2009, 12:23 AM   #11
Handymankg2
It's the yearly visit!

Shadow Sneak to avoid the Thunder wave and do some damage. If he decides to Agility away, FC Shadow Ball after he's finished. Otherwise, Payback after the attack hits you.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:18 PM   #12
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Misdreavus Round Two: Attack of the Clones

It's the same Pokemon twice, geddit?

Mable and The Artist formerly known as Misdreavus (henceforth Tafkam) face eachother down, which, seeing as they have basically nothing but face is about all they can do. Mistress TafkaM moves first, charging a crackling Thunder Wave which zips towards Mable, who stays alarmingly still as the waves hit her, restricting her movement quite significantly, although for a Pokemon with no limbs, that won't make quite as much difference as it might otherwise. After a few seconds of holding the Thunder Wave, Tafkam begins to wonder why Mable hasn't even tried to move, and, with a sinking feeling, looks down just in time to see the quickly advancing Shadow Sneak blow up in her face, sending her spinning away and breaking the electric link between the two.

Breathing (or not, being dead and all) a sigh of relief that she hadn't yet started charging her Shadow Ball, TafkaM promptly does, after turning the right way up and wincing from the blow she just took. Again, Tafkam looks at her opponent, who, very disconcertingly, appears to be encouraging her attack and looking to take it on the chin, although perhaps it could just be the paralysis. After a good five or six seconds of staredown and charging Shadow Ball, Mable decides that it might not be wise to take that attack full on, diving to one side to avoid the ball...or at least, trying to dive to the side, as the paralysis makes it more of a gentle drift, too slow to avoid the explosion which rips into the Gaseous Mable for extreme super effective damage.

Couging and looking distinctly worse for wear, Mable takes on a noticeably blacker aura, looking to give Tafkam a taste of it's own medicine; it's Payback time! The ball of dark energy slams into the gloating Tafkam for significant damage, although having only absorbed the power of one move, not quite as much as may have been hoped.

Summary

Mable took a very big blow and has already taken considerable damage from that alone, although it does appear to have shaken off the majority of it's paralysis from that. Energy use was only moderate, with Shadow Sneak the majority.

Between Shadow Sneak and Payback, Tafkam also took reasonable damage, although it has a fair lead at the moment on that front. A near fully charged Shadow Ball has taken it's energy down a fair way, it'll need to rest soon if it uses another couple of attacks like that.

Handyman, a word of advice, read the attack descriptions, I don't think either of those attacks worked quite as you planned them to; Payback works off the quantity of hits taken, not the size of them as something like Counter would, and Shadow Sneak only moves a Pokemons shadow, not it's body (as I read it anyway)

Damned Misdreavus fight, I got the nicknames the wrong way round the first time I wrote this round. Handy to attack next please.

Last edited by Lonely Cubone; 06-23-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:23 PM   #13
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

The names in the results are still the wrong way round LC :p.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:25 PM   #14
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

I hate you both.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #15
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

It's not my fault Handy decided to send out his Misdreavus against mine :p. Besides, give it a couple of rounds and one of them will be dead anyways.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:17 AM   #16
Handymankg2
It's the yearly visit!

Regarding Payback, I mistakingly thought Thunderwave would count as an attack. And I did misread Shadow Sneak, yes. Orders to come soon.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:51 PM   #17
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

What the bejeezus where you doing awake at six in the morning?

I didn't get up til 10 today. And that was unwilling.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:33 AM   #18
Handymankg2
It's the yearly visit!

Thunderwave into Thunder.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:22 PM   #19
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

I must apologise in advance for two things. Firstly that I'll be away for a week starting saturday. Secondly, that this round will be a typespam fest.

Misdreavus, agility to dodge the thunderwave. Then, calm your mind, and show what a dirty dirty typespammer you are by launching another CM boosted FC shadow ball when she's done thundering you.

Like I said, sorry for the typespam Handy :p.

Last edited by Concept; 06-26-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:57 PM   #20
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Misdreavus Round Three: Misdthreevous

Three mover from Concept before he goes, cunning plan.

Mable moves first this round, emitting crackling tendrils of Thunder Wave, attempting to paralyse her opponent. Tafkam has other ideas though, using a short burst of Agility to avoid the majority of that attack, although a few sparks did manage to hit her, pretty much cancelling out any long term effects of the agility boost.

Relaxing from this near escape with a Calm Mind, Tafkam takes some time to stretch her brains and gets ready to go on the offensive, deciding to spend some time preparing another Shadow Ball to loosen off towards her mirror image foe. Across the field, Mable watches the ball charging and winces slightly, remembering the last time she took a Shadow Ball to the face...

ZZzzzzaaap!

A bolt of Thunder flies down from the sky, drawing a jagged pattern against the midday air, but Tafkam gets very, very lucky and watches the bolt ground itself not ten feet from where she was charging a highly volatile ball of Ghostly energy. Deciding that it would be best not to risk another bolt landing a lot closer, Tafkam launches off her Shadow Ball a few seconds early. Mable sees it coming long before it reaches her and tries to dodge, but the fast moving Shadow Ball hits her retreating head for another super effective blow, spinning Mable across the field.

Summary

Mable took a another big blow but not quite as much as last the round, she's in critical levels now and looks like another blow or two will finish her. Energy use was pretty high but less than it's opponent, well above half on that front so it's hardly a concern.

Tafkam took no more damage in this round, but seems to be sucking up energy like nobodies business, just below the half way mark on both counts

I think these names are the right way round, moves from Con Cept.

Last edited by Lonely Cubone; 07-04-2009 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Correcting Balls up
Old 06-26-2009, 05:04 PM   #21
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

A SE exploding shadow ball, a SE fc shadow ball and a CM boosted mc shadow ball and it's just below half health, and taken half my energy?

I agree with the energy usage, but if those hits hadn't been SE then it would be around a quarter health for half energy, which would mean that a Misdreavus doesn't have enough energy to KO its foe without typespam, as I've only used a thunderwave, calm mind and taunt of non-direct damage energy, none of which are massively energy consuming.

Names are the right way around :p.

Last edited by Concept; 06-26-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:15 PM   #22
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

The first Shadow Ball didn't do huge damage to either, and could hardly be counted as being a fully powered attack. I generally ref the first 'half' being slightly more than the second 'half' anyway, as strange at that might seem, as an already hurt Pokemon would no doubt be hurt more than a fresh one by the same move.

Edit: On the energy front, you also used Agility and pulled of a three mover after two two move rounds. Your energy consumption is very high not just because of the moves used but the lack of respite between them.

This is the issue with putting in any form of fraction decimal in a reffing, as much as it does make things clearer.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:22 PM   #23
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Cubone View Post
The first Shadow Ball didn't do huge damage to either, and could hardly be counted as being a fully powered attack. I generally ref the first 'half' being slightly more than the second 'half' anyway, as strange at that might seem, as an already hurt Pokemon would no doubt be hurt more than a fresh one by the same move.

This is the issue with putting in any form of fraction decimal in a reffing, as much as it does make things clearer.
Ok, but fc shadow ball is roughly a hyper beam in damage, so a SE one is about 2 HB's of damage, plus another CM boosted SE shadow ball plus the low damage from the exploding one makes it the equivilant of taking like, 3 or 4 hyper beams.

It's really the respective health/energy though; like I said, the way it's going Misdreavus barely has enough energy to KO even if I keep using typespam; if I wasn't using SE moves (ie if shadow balls weren't SE) then my Misdreavus would have nowhere near enough energy to KO another pokemon.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:28 PM   #24
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

My edit hopefully explains your high energy use.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:48 PM   #25
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Cubone View Post
Edit: On the energy front, you also used Agility and pulled of a three mover after two two move rounds. Your energy consumption is very high not just because of the moves used but the lack of respite between them.

By my estimations either my energy use has roughly doubled from the combined total of those moves, or Mable has somehow avoided almost half the damage from the shadow balls :s.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL