UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2017, 04:37 PM   #1126
Raves
Brains over Brawn.
 
Raves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Posts: 1,544
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
re: Logan's ending.

Spoiler: show
The Film Theory recently did a theory on why Logan's dying, using medical and scientific thoughts, and came to the conclusion that the Adamantium poisoning's only a small factor. The big factor is actually the healing factor and his age.

Logan's pushing 140 years or so, and with every wound healed, his DNA's slowly but surely corroding to the point that his healing factor's no longer as efficient or existant.
__________________
Stale Water.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:11 PM   #1127
Talon87
Shenmue III, baby!
 
Talon87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lafayette, Indiana
Posts: 20,204
Send a message via AIM to Talon87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raves View Post
re: Logan's ending.

Spoiler: show
The Film Theory recently did a theory on why Logan's dying, using medical and scientific thoughts, and came to the conclusion that the Adamantium poisoning's only a small factor. The big factor is actually the healing factor and his age.

Logan's pushing 140 years or so, and with every wound healed, his DNA's slowly but surely corroding to the point that his healing factor's no longer as efficient or existant.
Reply in the spoiler box:

Spoiler: show
He's quite a bit older than that, I believe. He was already an adult male physiologically at the time of the American Civil War (1861-1865); so even if you assume he was born in the 19th century (which, I think, is how the same comic which introduced the idea of "James Howlett" also depicted him as a boy; someone else might correct me on this), he would still have had to have been in his 20s by the 1860s at the absolute youngest. This means that by the 2020s (which is when Logan is supposed to take place in the X-Men timeline, I read?), Logan would be somewhere in his 180s. And again -- this assumes he was born in the 19th century and went from babe to man in relatively normal progression, rather than, say, taking 30 years to go from age 0 to age 15.

The theory you've shared suffers from a similar problem many sci-fi and comic explanations and apologies suffer from: it's too realistic. You can apply the realities of logic perfectly fine to a film. (E.g. my criticism of their decision to involve innocent people; human behavior is no different here between mutants and us, between us and our ancestors 3,000 years ago.) But once you start applying science, you have to step back and realize that the premise of the X-Men is already fundamentally flawed on a number of scientific levels.

But let's say I'm game for scientifically dissecting Logan. (Because of course I am! ) The problem I have with the theory you shared is, I don't think it understands Logan's regenerative power properly. It isn't that "he heals" yet still has normal human telomeres, normal human telomerase, normal human cancer risk, and if he heals and he heals again and again and again then over enough time he is going to die because his cells are going to start failing. His mutation has been explained before as being, if I am not mistaken, "his cells replicate quickly and without the usual failings of human cells." In other words, he's not at risk for cancer. This is the fundamental basis for the character of Deadpool -- exploring a Logan that did "go cancerous," a man who has Logan's regenerative properties coupled with the human problem of tumors. In the sense that Logan is not Deadpool, Logan is not a man at risk for cancer after an arbitrarily high number of cell divisions.

People seem to misunderstand Logan's healing factor as "he heals quickly", i.e. he has an abnormally fast blood clotting process, an abnormally fast skin scarring process, etc. But I think what he actually has is, he just regenerates cells (and the correct cells, in the correct places) very very quickly. It can be thought of as "healing" if you like, but it doesn't follow the normal healing process in humans whatsoever. This is one reason why, for example, Logan never scars. Not even on his knuckles where his claws have emerged countless times does he have scars. And that's because his skin regenerates perfectly (i.e. his cells multiply to fill in the gaps just fine) rather than his skin healing the way our skin heals.
"Scar tissue is composed of the same protein (collagen) as the tissue that it replaces, but the fiber composition of the protein is different; instead of a random basketweave formation of the collagen fibers found in normal tissue, in fibrosis the collagen cross-links and forms a pronounced alignment in a single direction. This collagen scar tissue alignment is usually of inferior functional quality to the normal collagen randomised alignment." - Wikipedia
Logan is able to return his body to its previous state, so to speak, through ideal/perfectly organized cell replication and chemical deposits. It's the same reason why, after literally decades of chronic alcoholism, he doesn't suffer from any of the telltale signs of liver cirrhosis. If we were going to argue that the man depicted in the film Logan were suffering from a gradual and inevitable winding down of his powers, then I'd think we'd also expect to see a man with severe liver failure. (And before someone says "IT'S JUST A MOVIE. THEY OVERLOOKED THAT. GOSH! ", I'm not the one arguing for real-world scientific analysis of Logan's death here. The film theory people are. I'm just answering fire with fire, baby. ;P)

The film does a good job of crescendoing the revelation that it's the adamantium that's killing him. It's one of the many things I think the film does expertly artistically well.
  • beginning of the film: we know Logan's gotten older, his vision's deteriorated, he's not healing as well as he used to ... something's wrong
  • early film: Caliban alludes to Logan's dying and cause of death but says little
  • early-mid film: Xavier alludes to it as well; indicates that there's "something wrong inside of" Logan
  • mid-late film: the human doctor flat out states that there is "something inside" Logan that is killing him and that needs to be treated/taken out/taken care of but Logan refuses treatment
  • late film: Logan confesses to Laura that what's killing him is the adamantium
I don't know why people want to argue with the main character himself, let alone the screenplay writers who take us through a very clear arc here, and say that it isn't the adamantium when it is. I'm all for fans getting excited and making fan theories of their own, but this is one instance where a fan theory really isn't necessary or even appropriate. Saying "it isn't the adamantium; it's something else" is ignoring all of the evidence on the table and telling Logan he's gotten his own diagnosis wrong. Which is of course possible -- he's only human, after all; we all make mistakes -- but you may as well then argue that it isn't the adamantium that's killing him it's his years of torment from killing the people he loves. Or that it isn't the adamantium it's Mysterio. Or that it isn't the adamantium it's a poison put in the water by an anti-mutant firm meant to kill off the last of the mutants in hiding. Any of innumerable theories without basis in the film itself over the one "theory" that the film presents for us as fact.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:52 PM   #1128
Loki
Savage
 
Loki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,028
Just a reminder people: Comics =/= Movies. And science in both are fictional, so there's no reason to argue about it. If the plot needs Adamantium to be poisonous, it's poisonous. If they need it to make Wolverine a better sous chef for his upcoming "Cooking with Claws" TV spin-off for the Cooking Channel, it'll do that.
__________________
Loki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:01 AM   #1129
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!
 
Doppleganger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Yukinomiya City, Fukushima Prefecture
Posts: 11,297
Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Early reports about the new GITS movie, from other sources:

Spoiler: show
It's the second attempt at rebooting RoboCop this decade.
__________________
あなたの勇気が切り開く未来
ふたりの想いが見つけだす希望
今 信じあえる
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:08 AM   #1130
Talon87
Shenmue III, baby!
 
Talon87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lafayette, Indiana
Posts: 20,204
Send a message via AIM to Talon87
I was sharing Logan pictures with Yuki and I happened upon one with a tie-in from The Wolverine that utterly blew me away. Even if this was not planned ahead of time (and the director is lying when he takes credit for doing just that ), it's pretty uncanny how things ultimately lined up so perfectly:

(MAJOR SPOILERS for both Logan and The Wolverine)

Spoiler: show


In the movie The Wolverine, Yukio is a mutant with the power to see people's deaths before they occur. She tells Logan that once she sees someone's death, she is "never wrong." She describes to Logan that he will die on his back, with blood everywhere, holding his own heart in his hand. This ties in to the later scene in The Wolverine where Logan codes while performing a surgical operation on his own heart. However, it's a little strange -- he doesn't really ever hold his heart in his hand, he's certainly not holding it in his hand while he codes, and of course most important of all he comes back to life and proves Yukio wrong.

... And then we get Logan. And Logan gives us Logan's death, exactly as Yukio described.

On his back ...

With blood everywhere ...

... And his "heart" in his hand.

Logan was already a 9/10 film, but man if this doesn't just add to its excellence.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:41 AM   #1131
lilbluecorsola
Crying Prologue
 
lilbluecorsola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Searching for red
Posts: 4,551
Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I was sharing Logan pictures with Yuki and I happened upon one with a tie-in from The Wolverine that utterly blew me away. Even if this was not planned ahead of time (and the director is lying when he takes credit for doing just that ), it's pretty uncanny how things ultimately lined up so perfectly:

(MAJOR SPOILERS for both Logan and The Wolverine)

Spoiler: show


In the movie The Wolverine, Yukio is a mutant with the power to see people's deaths before they occur. She tells Logan that once she sees someone's death, she is "never wrong." She describes to Logan that he will die on his back, with blood everywhere, holding his own heart in his hand. This ties in to the later scene in The Wolverine where Logan codes while performing a surgical operation on his own heart. However, it's a little strange -- he doesn't really ever hold his heart in his hand, he's certainly not holding it in his hand while he codes, and of course most important of all he comes back to life and proves Yukio wrong.

... And then we get Logan. And Logan gives us Logan's death, exactly as Yukio described.

On his back ...

With blood everywhere ...

... And his "heart" in his hand.

Logan was already a 9/10 film, but man if this doesn't just add to its excellence.
ow my heart
__________________




Do you remember that word I loved...?

Mekakucity Actors Discussion Thread
lilbluecorsola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:41 PM   #1132
deoxys
こばやし だいすき~
 
deoxys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 私の尾を食べてください OwO
Posts: 6,489
I know it isn't a movie, but a. we don't have a "What have you been watching" thread, and I don't think we need one - but I wanted to make a post about this without making an entire thread for it, because I'm not sure it deserves it.

Basically, being the hip, rose-tinted glasses-wearing nostalgia laden 90's kid that I am, like many of us, I decided to check out Bill Nye Saves the World on Netflix.

After two or three episodes, I just can't take it. The show is not worthy of being called a sequel to, or a spiritual successor to "Bill Nye the Science Guy" in any sense. And I am totally let down by that.

The old format was something like a. Bill going out somewhere to talk to people knowledgeable, and to see/explore topic b. splice in experiments/silly videos tangentially related to the topic at hand and c. conclude the adventure with some sort of really interesting event or experiment.

The new format is more or less a talk show. A horrible talk show. Bill talks a little about the episode's topic on stage, brings on a guest to talk about it, maybe a video and interview of some sort plays, then SURPRISE COMEDY GUEST!, then Bill rambles angrily in a way that is supposed to be humor, and bring in a panel to talk with him, then "silly experiment", then COMEDY GUEST!, and then "in conclusion...". Also the audience is annoying as fuck.

The format isn't the only problem - the show comes off as incredibly preachy even for me and for some perhaps patronizing. It feels like it was made to appeal to the "braindead masses" who are mostly unfamiliar with science-based issues, as Bill and his guests seem to talk to their audience like they are back in third-grade science, despite the show being explicitly for adults (and riddled with adult-oriented topics and language). And perhaps this is who it was made for, but for the majority of us, this show is not for us. It is insufferable, forced, """"hip"""" and laden with really bad humor that comes off as Bill Nye going "Hello, fellow kids!".

This is just a major disappointment, and I don't know that there is anyone I can recommend this to aside from maybe low-brow TV humor lovers in the reddest parts of the reddest states in America. I'm glad Bill is trying to do something about some of these issues, and he has certainly done far more than I, but I have to wonder if, perhaps, this show does more harm than good, at least on certain topics (looking at you, gender identity episode/awful song).
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:47 PM   #1133
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!
 
Doppleganger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Yukinomiya City, Fukushima Prefecture
Posts: 11,297
Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I live in a red state with two blue dots for eyes. I can assure you that there are a lot of idiot adults walking around, with 3rd grade at-best decision making processes, and worst of all, some of them have college degrees.

The "true" spiritual successor to Nye was Mythbusters. Nye himself has other issues to tackle, which as you've discovered, was the point of World.
__________________
あなたの勇気が切り開く未来
ふたりの想いが見つけだす希望
今 信じあえる
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:19 AM   #1134
lilbluecorsola
Crying Prologue
 
lilbluecorsola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Searching for red
Posts: 4,551
Lil' Bluey

So on the topic of things we've recently been watching...

The Handmaid's Tale

Saw an ad for this on YT a couple days ago; having read the book in high school, the trailer caught my eye and piqued my curiosity. It's a Hulu mini-series based on said book by Margaret Atwood. If you haven't heard of it, it's a dystopian novel centered on subjugation of women, in a manner that's both hamfistedly brutal yet repulsive in its subtle roots in realism. While I'm not normally one for overtly hyper-feminist thematic agendas (although there's no denying the subject matter seems "scarily relevant" today), the book resonated with me mostly for how it's written. (I even agreed to take home a copy as reference when my teacher offered it to me to keep afterwards; though I think I've since given it away at my mom's behest since it was old and beat-up.) I admire Atwood's style and it's heavily influenced my own - mainly in which the main character makes plays on words and loose meaning associations.

Which is why I'm glad to see some snatches of prose being kept in the form of voiceover narration - although our protagonist is certainly a lot more snarky and rebellious than her novel counterpart. As with any adaptation, there are other divergences here and there, some maybe necessary for television, others out of desire to be "contemporary" rather than dated. There's a lot more racial and LGBT representation, for one. (...Does it say something about me that from the opening sequence when the MC was carrying a little girl through the woods, I thought it wasn't her daughter bc the girl was black? ^^;;; Even when she kept saying "mommy" I assumed she was calling out for her "real" mom... OTL)

I knew from the trailer and comments that they were including people of color in the cast bc they wanted to deal with racism without making a "racist" show - whatever that means - but I just wasn't prepared for the MC's husband to be cast as African American too. ._. I think it's a cute little update to fit with the times though, once I realized what was happening. I also like their interpretation of the MC's best friend Moira - although personally I always pictured her looking like this. *shot* (Although really, if they're gonna go to such lengths for the sake of "diversity": Can we get some Asians in there too? *double-shot*)

One change that didn't jive well with me at first was the de-aging of the Commander's and Wife's characters, as they look much more conventionally attractive now and kinda takes away from the "squickiness" of the "Ceremony" scenes (plus the physical shift in power dynamics). Although I suppose the latter lends a sort of added sympathy to her desperation for wanting a child in her own prime years. While I haven't seen the original 1990 movie adaptation (which reviews indicate wasn't very good so I have no desire to now), I watched a few scenes from the film featuring Serena Joy's character on YT in preparation - and I kinda prefer the older actress's nuanced performance, but the new one is growing on me.

Overall, there are some solid, moving scenes that are well portrayed by the cast and direction. (Apparently there's even a cameo from the author herself in the first episode, in what is perhaps one of the most sadly hilarious meta moments ever.) You really feel the pain and subversive sense of solidarity between the females, but also from everyone forced to put up with this world's carefully crafted horrors - even slowly revealing some shaded glimpses of it on the other, supposedly "higher" side of the fence. It is, all around, a "terrible" situation that no one can escape from.

All said, it is a severely depressing story with lots of unsettling imagery, hammering in even more heavy messages than the source material, which was constrained to first person narrative. Some have suggested watching one episode at a time (though I binged all that are out since they released the first three at once yesterday). But yeah. Trigger warning for rape, violence, etc. that may make it difficult to sit through. There was one scene in particular in episode 03 I was warned about being particularly disturbing - even if what's depicted onscreen isn't especially intense or gruesome. (Although personally I found the payoff to be a bit unintentionally amusing, since it's an addition that wasn't in the book and from the way it's shot/the score it felt like it had really reached a "forced" point of trying to be dramatic for dramatics' sake. XP The music choices still feel a bit jarring and out of place to me, but I suppose it's another way to try to connect to our own time. The musical build-up to episode 02's final reveal was pretty funny in a deliberate way.)

I do appreciate how they're taking Ofglen in a different direction and expanding on her story; although I wish it didn't come at the expense of one revelation from a scene that took place in episode 01, but in the book doesn't come until much later:

Spoiler: show
It's explained that the target of the Salvaging wasn't a rapist, but was a member of the same Resistance Ofglen is part of, and so she knocked him out first before the others got to him as an act of mercy.


Maybe it will be touched upon later, who knows. The writers seem interested in carrying on the series for multiple seasons, so it's possible they will explore territory beyond even the book itself.

On a related note, I also watched Life of Pi recently, which is another book I read in high school and enjoyed for its ending. Although the actor interacting with only CGI animals throughout almost the entirety of the film was rather distracting lol. Kinda makes me want to watch The Jungle Book to compare.
__________________




Do you remember that word I loved...?

Mekakucity Actors Discussion Thread
lilbluecorsola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:31 AM   #1135
Eliteknight
Tommy used to work...
 
Eliteknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,219
Saw Guardians 2:

I quite enjoyed it, i feel like it is better than the first but the two films are quite on par with each other. Although i have to say Marvel has done a great job with the Villain side of this movie
__________________


PASBL Squad l C+ Grade Ref l Grass Gym Trainer

Spoiler: show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Well I don't know I wanted to deal damage and Starmie is inorganic :X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Starmie is a starfish, it is not inorganic :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Kush I'm TL1. How am I supposed to know things if you don't tell me them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
It's a starfish.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
I have 1 SP. Retroactively claiming the SP tax on all the things I did whilst LO.

I now have 1 SP.
Eliteknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 12:41 AM   #1136
Naruxami
Is Zook
 
Naruxami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliteknight View Post
Saw Guardians 2:

I quite enjoyed it, i feel like it is better than the first but the two films are quite on par with each other. Although i have to say Marvel has done a great job with the Villain side of this movie
I also saw Guardians 2 but... I disagree. I really didn't enjoy it.

It was very meh at best. Half the time I felt like it could've been two different movies considering the mess of a plot it had. The humour was super hit or miss and it was WAY more prominent than it was in the first movie. The soundtrack was great, not as good as the first movie's but still really great.

The plot kinda jumped the gun. It went from having a focus on this one thing to this entirely different thing. The movie also focused on like how "omg so cuuttttte!!!" that baby Groot was. But frankly by the end of it all I was just annoyed.

I found myself liking Drax a lot more in this movie, and Yondu was also a big highlight.

Overall like... 6/10. It was okay, kinda mad I spent a lot of money to see it tho.
__________________


tumblr fizzy bubbles backloggery steam last.fm
PSN: Asteiri | Discord: asteiri.#7574
Naruxami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:09 PM   #1137
Loki
Savage
 
Loki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,028
Mega Dunsparce

Saw Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 with a co-worker. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Spoiler: show
There's no McGuffin and it's much more character driven. The plot is arguably weaker but it was better woven into the character stories.

Drax was infinitely better in this film than the last. Almost all the best jokes came from Drax and it was pretty much throughout the film.
Gamora felt quite a bit weaker. Her relationship with Nebula was kind of forced into the story a bit and her relationship with Peter also felt awkward.
Rocket and Yondu had probably the strongest character arcs. I liked the symmetry they put in between them.
Peter and his dad, Ego. This one was strange. Ego's plot was weird. And while I did like the idea of Peter finally finding his dad and having fun and being seduced in a sense, it was so stupid of Ego to tell him about the brain tumor.
__________________
Loki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:15 AM   #1138
lilbluecorsola
Crying Prologue
 
lilbluecorsola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Searching for red
Posts: 4,551
Lil' Bluey

So I saw Wonder Woman...

Spoiler: show
It was pretty great! I really liked the message of “love” - cheesy as it may be. It’s what Wonder Woman embodies IMO, and I’m so glad they showed her character as such whenever she wanted to stop and help innocents along the way to war.

One thing I would’ve liked to see in line with that theme though... Was for the “Godkiller” to actually be represented by her shield.

Think about it: It would’ve been a neat twist, while also delivering the moral that “true strength” lies in “defending the weak”. It would’ve supported the plot, but moreover reinforced the image of Diana as a “protector” rather than just a “warrior/weapon” - and even tie into the little “Chekhov’s gun shield” trick they used twice of having a “shield” be used to boost an Amazon to victory, as well as the speech she gives to her mother at the beginning before leaving on the boat about “defending those who cannot defend themselves”(or something along those lines?).

I know Captain America’s signature is already a shield and it would probably seem like copying when there are already so many comparisons, but still. It feels like a missed opportunity the story was already building up to. It would’ve been a really cool development IMO, and one of the few things I would change in an otherwise pretty solid narrative. It'd be like Rose's shield from Steven Universe. *shot*

Speaking of Steven... Tbh I was looking forward to more romance bw her and Steve Trevor, but I'm satisfied with what we got. Their "love" was expanded to mean something more. Loved the line about how he can "save today" but she can "save the world". Also the part about the world not "deserving" her, but it's not about "deserving" - it's about "belief". (Honestly I was so waiting for a "she's the hero the world needs, but not the one it deserves" reference lol.)

I do wish Steve didn't have to die though. =( How awesome would a posts-credits scene have been where she goes to visit him as an old man like in DCAU's JL? (Speaking of which, been listening to the credits song by Sia on repeat. "To be human is to love"... Also the bridge is so good hrngh.)

I did have some problems with the beginning and ending regarding the "mythos" and whatnot and how superheroes/gods affect "real world events", but meh. (In that regard, I don't like how Ares did have an influence on the outcome of the war. Plus his identity was pretty predictable IMO. I was spoiled on the fact Ares was the main antagonist since apparently they released a figure of him and people were talking about it in YT comments, although at least they established him early on as the "Big Bad" in the film so it wasn't a big deal.) Overall the good majorly outweighed the bad. Diana was both adorable and badass throughout. <3 The scene where she walked across "No Man's Land" was amazing and awesome and holy shit beautiful (not to mention she was essentially acting as a "shield" for others). Aside from being gorgeous, I thought the humor and darkness blended really well. There were many moments when my friends and I + others in the theater were laughing out loud. (Also sweet to see a lot of little girls dressed up, as well as one woman in full cosplay. XD)


I hope DCEU can keep this up. Please don't let this be a "One Hit Wonder Woman". *crosses fingers*
__________________




Do you remember that word I loved...?

Mekakucity Actors Discussion Thread

Last edited by lilbluecorsola; 06-03-2017 at 08:29 AM.
lilbluecorsola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:56 PM   #1139
Loki
Savage
 
Loki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,028
Surprised no one has talked about Spider-Man Homecoming. It's actually good. And everyone should probably watch it.
__________________
Loki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:54 PM   #1140
lilbluecorsola
Crying Prologue
 
lilbluecorsola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Searching for red
Posts: 4,551
Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Surprised no one has talked about Spider-Man Homecoming. It's actually good. And everyone should probably watch it.
I'm surprised no one has talked about Wonder Woman. =/ Did everyone get scared off by the rest of the DCEU? This one is really good this time, I swear. =x

Anyway, I digress. I did see Homecoming with friends at a drive-in for my Birthday. (I was actually hoping to go see WW again, but the timeslot got pushed to 11:30PM thanks to Spidey. =3=) It's... cute. Almost overwhelmingly so. Honestly that's pretty much the word to describe it. XP

Personally I had a lot of weird feels throughout the film for the fact it is a teenage superhero story. Maybe it's bc I have such mixed feelings on the matter thanks to RotJ, but my mind kept flipping back and forth between "THIS IS SO COOL" and "THIS IS SO DANGEROUS" (and then internally crying over the fact Tim would never get to experience the former emotion again OTL). I literally felt like Aunt May would during several scenes where I'm like "Peter Parker you are CHILD you should be STUDYING not GETTING SHOT AT". Like for example:

Spoiler: show
During the car chase scene where Peter admitted he'd never driven outside empty lots before, I was like ">.> Boy you are so GROUNDED".


I did like the villain, and how the title actually tied into the story. No comment on the other "twist(s)". Having not seen the other Spiderman movies/being unfamiliar with the continuity I don't really have an opinion on it.

Also the final battle was kinda dark and hard to see. Wasn't sure if it was just because I saw it at a drive-in, but it seems I'm not the only one. (At least according to NC's review. I found it funny he and his brother also agreed that it's "cute". XP Also lol at all their fanrants.)

Speaking of NC, loved his Wonder Woman review. He brought up an interesting observation regarding DC vs. Marvel: "If Marvel is humans becoming gods, then DC is gods becoming human." Obviously a generalization, but it's interesting to think about.

On a related note: New Justice League trailer dropped at Comic-Con, and Flash is a cutie newbie patootie. <3 (Still subscribing to the theory that he's going to die at some point. ;() I'd really love to see him have a similar relationship to Batfleck like Peter and Tony Stark (or even a solo Robin film like Homecoming *shot*). I was honestly expecting Flash's movie to be like Homecoming as well, but it seems like they're adapting Flashpoint instead (great more timeline shenanigans), and that it's being pushed back due to lack of director (joy) in favor of Shazam. (Man these superheroes just keep getting younger. .-.)

An actual kid superhero would be cute though. If Shazam is considered to join the League I'd like to see a similar scene to YJ where they debate whether he should even be allowed to join on grounds of his real age. I actually wonder if Batfleck might be more against it at this point considering he's already lost a Robin, and tbf Diana wanted to learn swordtraining as a child... (Imagine Flash being all like: "You guys let me join! =D"/wanting a "little brother" figure and the others being all "quiet the grownups are talking" and making him sit with Cyborg and Billy in the kiddie corner. *shot*)

...Oh god I've really become a total nerd fangirl haven't I.

*cough* Back on the subject of movies I recently saw, I did try watching Birdman the other day just because the synopsis seemed to suit the Comic-Con setting. (It's funny 'cuz the main guy is apparently also played by Michael Keaton.) Couldn't really get into it though and quit halfway through, although at that point my brother did point out how it was interesting that the whole movie seemed to have been shot in one take, which I completely hadn't noticed. ^^;
__________________




Do you remember that word I loved...?

Mekakucity Actors Discussion Thread

Last edited by lilbluecorsola; 11-18-2017 at 11:23 PM.
lilbluecorsola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:32 PM   #1141
Talon87
Shenmue III, baby!
 
Talon87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lafayette, Indiana
Posts: 20,204
Send a message via AIM to Talon87
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
...Oh god I've really become a total nerd fangirl haven't I.
When it comes to DC, you are Queen of the Fujoshi.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:38 PM   #1142
Loki
Savage
 
Loki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,028
I didn't see Wonder Woman. I don't doubt it's the best DCMU film, but between my work schedule and nerd friends, I kind of lost interest. I actually had to take some a vacation day just to to see Spider-Man Homecoming. I would have seen WW the same day, but movie ticket prices are insane in NYC.
__________________
Loki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:27 PM   #1143
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!
 
Doppleganger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Yukinomiya City, Fukushima Prefecture
Posts: 11,297
Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
The whole superhero/god thing makes me want to throw up.

Wonder Woman is too politically charged. It's like Zootopia 3.0, which is actually Moana 2.0.

I'm shocked Spiderman Homecoming is actually a movie. I've seen the hoodie. I've seen the kiddie. I assumed it was a back-to-school brand thing. It's actually a motion picture thing. What the fudge.

I tried watching Guardians of the Galaxy because Shingeki no Kyojin's author Ishiyama said he was "inspired" by it (meaning the new arc of SnK is going to take cues from it). Couldn't take it. Too politically charged and silly. It's also basically a cartoon.

I sound like Marvin the Paranoid Android. This is definitely not an insomina-induced delirium.
__________________
あなたの勇気が切り開く未来
ふたりの想いが見つけだす希望
今 信じあえる
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:30 PM   #1144
lilbluecorsola
Crying Prologue
 
lilbluecorsola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Searching for red
Posts: 4,551
Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
When it comes to DC, you are Queen of the Fujoshi.
I JUST WANT TO DEFEND MY CHILDREN OKAY *picks up all the kid "sidekicks" and places them in a protective basket* <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Wonder Woman is too politically charged. It's like Zootopia 3.0, which is actually Moana 2.0.
Uh... Except it's not? That's the whole reason I find it refreshing. It's not about politics, it's just about a superhero saving people, regardless of gender. Compared to the 2009 animated WW film (or even Zootopia as you say, though I have no idea where you get the similarity to Moana from), which looks like everything I feared this film would be by cramming its political message down one's throat, the fact the film didn't focus on any "WOMEN POWER" agenda made it a much stronger story. It's just a badass person kicking butt who happens to be female, and she chooses to help others simply out of the goodness of her heart, which is something you don't see everyday.

If anything I thought Homecoming was much more politically charged. I mean the whole "controversial" crux of the film is that

Spoiler: show
they made MJ a black girl who's a SJW against admiring monuments "built by slaves", among other "edgy" opinions.


Plus the majority of the characters were pretty much cast with people "of color". I mean, diversity is great and all, but do you really need to go that far?

Also my friend likes Guardians of the Galaxy. Haven't seen either film, but apparently the sequel made her cry. *shrug* She's a much bigger movie buff/Marvel fan than I. I've only even started going to the cinema to watch films as they come out because of her. (FWIW, she didn't care too much for Homecoming since it reminded her of how superhero movies/cartoons used to be 10 years ago. Plus in the wake of WW/Logan I think we were both expecting "more", as they've set a whole new bar for the genre IMO. "Cute" just doesn't cut it at this point.)
__________________




Do you remember that word I loved...?

Mekakucity Actors Discussion Thread
lilbluecorsola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:15 AM   #1145
Loki
Savage
 
Loki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,028
Haha. I was expecting much less from Spider-Man Homecoming since this is our third reboot of the character. I came out quite surprised.

Spoiler: show
I enjoyed it immensely because of how small time Spidey is. It really feels down to his roots and it was refreshing because we didn't have to see another giant 9/11 disaster or war or the 'bigger' baddy. He basically stopped a big heist.

They also captured the mentality of a teenager really well and used Tony Stark as a surrogate father figure too. Peter is energetic and eager and he also feels he's too good for the restrictions and even the need for high school. He doesn't really fully think ahead because he's too young and caught up in the moments. And honestly his age really keep him feeling different from all of the other Marvel hero films since all of the Avengers are full adults, with most being well past their 20s.


I've had big comic readers who didn't like Logan because they felt Logan wasn't 'feral' enough and was too human.
__________________
Loki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:39 AM   #1146
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!
 
Doppleganger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Yukinomiya City, Fukushima Prefecture
Posts: 11,297
Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post

Uh... Except it's not? That's the whole reason I find it refreshing. It's not about politics, it's just about a superhero saving people, regardless of gender. Compared to the 2009 animated WW film (or even Zootopia as you say, though I have no idea where you get the similarity to Moana from), which looks like everything I feared this film would be by cramming its political message down one's throat, the fact the film didn't focus on any "WOMEN POWER" agenda made it a much stronger story. It's just a badass person kicking butt who happens to be female, and she chooses to help others simply out of the goodness of her heart, which is something you don't see everyday.
The movies themselves might be fine, but the political charge is the environment and marketing of the movies. Remember, I haven't seen any of these films, I've only been fed the media regurgitation of the status, which has tainted my impression of them because it's impossible for me to separate the context from the film itself:

-Much ado was made about Frozen having female director and being "progressive" even though it was exactly not
-Much was made about Zootopia being politically relevant because it focused on prejudice, and this eventually came to overshadow the movie itself
-Moana was marketed as a Disney Princess without a Barbie doll body. It was Pixar's second attempt at this type of character after Brave's Merida failed. Note that Maui also had an atypical body time and the movie spent a lot of scenes (which I have seen) flaunting his muscularity, to try and keep audiences from thinking they were showcasing a stereotypical fat alcoholic.
-Wonder Woman's charge is that Gal Gadot is Israeli, which is topical given the anti-semitism and anti-islamicism that dominates headlines today. Also apparently, this confused Mexicans who didn't know the character origin and assumed Wonder Woman is South American (i.e., the Amazon River named after the Greek myth women): this was further complicated because the lady who played WW in the TV Series was indeed Hispanic and retconned to have South American origins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post

If anything I thought Homecoming was much more politically charged.
My bad, but I didn't even know it was a movie, so I didn't meant to imply that it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post

Also my friend likes Guardians of the Galaxy. Haven't seen either film, but apparently the sequel made her cry. *shrug* She's a much bigger movie buff/Marvel fan than I. I've only even started going to the cinema to watch films as they come out because of her. (FWIW, she didn't care too much for Homecoming since it reminded her of how superhero movies/cartoons used to be 10 years ago. Plus in the wake of WW/Logan I think we were both expecting "more", as they've set a whole new bar for the genre IMO. "Cute" just doesn't cut it at this point.)
What drives me crazy is the aliens are humanoid.

It's ingrained in my head that, unlike what Star Trek would suggest, aliens are not going to look humanoid or be attractive to humans. Comes across as fake to me.

One of the reasons I dropped Shikoku no Sharnoth was there was an android said to be identical to a human girl. So then, isn't she actually a human girl, and the author is BSing me into thinking it's a robot? Think about that trap in Fate Apocrypha: draw a girl, give her a girlish personality, short skirt and feminine mannerisms, but call her a guy.

It's old. It's not funny anymore. It's groan worthy, and men stop caring, because a cat is fine too.
__________________
あなたの勇気が切り開く未来
ふたりの想いが見つけだす希望
今 信じあえる
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:06 AM   #1147
Loki
Savage
 
Loki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,028
There's actually some interesting ideas as to why aliens might take humanoid form. In one book, it explains that there's something called the "God form," which essentially is convergent evolution across the universe in which the humanoid form is the best design for an advanced society to take in order to achieve interstellar travel.

They base this off the fact that even on Earth, there are multitude of species which are vastly different and yet still develop similar things. Sharks and Dolphins have similar streamline shape including a dorsal fin, yet one is a fish and one is a mammal and both evolved in completely different paths.
__________________
Loki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:26 AM   #1148
Torkoal Stu
This
 
Torkoal Stu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Searching for ABL~
Posts: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post


I'm surprised no one has talked about Wonder Woman. =/ Did everyone get scared off by the rest of the DCEU? This one is really good this time, I swear. =x
I really enjoyed Wonder Woman. I'm not much of a superhero movie guy but I thought Wonder Woman had a lot of heart, and it was less forced than the other films of the same genre. If that makes sense. It had some real genuine emotion to it, and some comedy, but it wasn't constant action and one liners like I've become accustomed to from Marvel movies.

Although Wonder Woman was lacking in the villain department.

Thoughts on Spiderman Homecoming: (spoilered just in case I guess)

Spoiler: show
I liked the new Spiderman but is he really meant to be 15? He looks so much older! My major frustration was that there were so many under developed and underused characters. I know like Ned was meant to provide comic relief and he did, but they could have at least fleshed out his character even just a tad. Same for Liz, Michelle and even May. They all felt very half baked and 'this'll do' to me. Guardians shows Marvel can balance films with lots of characters in them, but I guess they were just trying to focus on Spidey here.

Some really good action sequences too, like in the ferry and in the Washington Monument. But it was far more funny than I thought it would be, and I was glad they stepped away from the origin business that we've seen in the other versions and stuck to more of a 'he's already Spiderman' approach.

The villain was surprisingly decent, which is where I find Marvel tend to drop the ball, and I think that really helped me enjoy the film. I especially liked how it all came together for the third act.

The cameo right near the end was surprising, and I was glad to see that particular character back in the MCU.

The best bit was the very final scene before the credits rolled xd;
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:50 AM   #1149
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.
 
Rangeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Beyond the Wall
Posts: 4,330
Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Wonder Woman is too politically charged. It's like Zootopia 3.0, which is actually Moana 2.0.
...Dude, Moana came out nine months after Zootopia...and they're really nothing alike.
__________________
Spoiler: show
Rangeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:49 AM   #1150
lilbluecorsola
Crying Prologue
 
lilbluecorsola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Searching for red
Posts: 4,551
Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Haha. I was expecting much less from Spider-Man Homecoming since this is our third reboot of the character. I came out quite surprised.

Spoiler: show
I enjoyed it immensely because of how small time Spidey is. It really feels down to his roots and it was refreshing because we didn't have to see another giant 9/11 disaster or war or the 'bigger' baddy. He basically stopped a big heist.

They also captured the mentality of a teenager really well and used Tony Stark as a surrogate father figure too. Peter is energetic and eager and he also feels he's too good for the restrictions and even the need for high school. He doesn't really fully think ahead because he's too young and caught up in the moments. And honestly his age really keep him feeling different from all of the other Marvel hero films since all of the Avengers are full adults, with most being well past their 20s.


I've had big comic readers who didn't like Logan because they felt Logan wasn't 'feral' enough and was too human.
Sure, and it was enjoyable for what it was: A cute, fun, family-friendly flick. Again, I'd be down for seeing a Robin film in a similar vein, or perhaps Billy Batson being the "friendly neighborhood Shazam".

It's funny since the reason I decided to go see Logan even though I hadn't watched any X-Men films (aside from X2 and First Class) was because I read some scans of the "Old Man Logan" comic it was based on and was wondering if/how they would adapt the scene where

Spoiler: show
it turns out Logan slaughtered all the other X-Men while under mind-control. Stop brainwashing heroes and making them do bad things, damnit.


I did like that they changed it to Charles. (Still say he stole the show.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
-Wonder Woman's charge is that Gal Gadot is Israeli, which is topical given the anti-semitism and anti-islamicism that dominates headlines today. Also apparently, this confused Mexicans who didn't know the character origin and assumed Wonder Woman is South American (i.e., the Amazon River named after the Greek myth women): this was further complicated because the lady who played WW in the TV Series was indeed Hispanic and retconned to have South American origins.
BORKED

Ignore the commentary after the news clip, contains spoilers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
My bad, but I didn't even know it was a movie, so I didn't meant to imply that it was.
Sure, I was just saying I thought Spiderman had more political overtones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkoal Stu View Post
I really enjoyed Wonder Woman. I'm not much of a superhero movie guy but I thought Wonder Woman had a lot of heart, and it was less forced than the other films of the same genre. If that makes sense. It had some real genuine emotion to it, and some comedy, but it wasn't constant action and one liners like I've become accustomed to from Marvel movies.

Although Wonder Woman was lacking in the villain department.
The villains were admittedly the weakest part of the film. Everything else though is as you say: A good balance of emotion, comedy, and action. (Although the third act didn't quite live up to the first and second IMO.) It had a lot of heart, and it definitely felt like a "different" kind of superhero story. One where the protagonist doesn't brood all the time but just jumps in to help others because she can.
__________________




Do you remember that word I loved...?

Mekakucity Actors Discussion Thread

Last edited by lilbluecorsola; 07-25-2017 at 01:38 PM.
lilbluecorsola is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (3 members and 1 guests)
Doppleganger, Emi
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 AM.


Design By: Miner Skinz.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.