UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 12-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #6051
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
LBC, do you know much about Club Complex and YURiE? I'm not sure how much expertise you have with Vocaloid it beyond KagePro, but this "YURiE" is apparently the model for one of them, and I found a track of a song on YouTube without any labeling. Just a name, but no album or clues on where to fine more. "Club Complex" might just end up being a random image plastered on front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgeorge View Post
I thought it was okay. The only thing I really wanted to watch it for was the battles, everything else was either average or annoying for me, personally. Also so much is left unexplained, so unless there is a second series on its way, or somewhere where I can see the rest of the story, it'll stay a 6/10 for me. To be honest I don't really care much to learn more of the story, but if there is to be one I'll have a look.
Midge...will you be the flagship of my heart? :p
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #6052
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Tari Tari (Up to episode 10):
Spoiler: show
Whilst I don't think this show is amazing in terms of plot/execution/etc, it really is spectacular. Especially to me, being a musician myself. I've recently got into the habit of furiously overthinking my music, thinking what I'm trying to base it on, what I'm going to try and achieve, etc. But that flashback with Mahiru humming her song has actually really inspired me. I think I'm just going to start making music that comes straight off of the top of my head from now on, rather than trying to plan things out beforehand. Also speaking of Mahiru, she is probably one of the most likeable characters I've ever seen.

Like, this show isn't amazing, but it's amazing... it makes sense to me god damnit

Its mainly just Mahiru and the animation though. I don't even really think the songs are that great, its just the concept of songwriting is so right in this show.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #6053
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
LBC, do you know much about Club Complex and YURiE? I'm not sure how much expertise you have with Vocaloid it beyond KagePro, but this "YURiE" is apparently the model for one of them, and I found a track of a song on YouTube without any labeling. Just a name, but no album or clues on where to fine more. "Club Complex" might just end up being a random image plastered on front.
I've not heard of either of those two names, sorry.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #6054
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Tari Tari (Up to episode 10):
Whilst I don't think this show is amazing in terms of plot/execution/etc, it really is spectacular. Especially to me, being a musician myself. I've recently got into the habit of furiously overthinking my music, thinking what I'm trying to base it on, what I'm going to try and achieve, etc. But that flashback with Mahiru humming her song has actually really inspired me. I think I'm just going to start making music that comes straight off of the top of my head from now on, rather than trying to plan things out beforehand. Also speaking of Mahiru, she is probably one of the most likeable characters I've ever seen.

Like, this show isn't amazing, but it's amazing... it makes sense to me god damnit
Search thread for posts containing "Tari". Find thoughts.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #6055
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Search thread for posts containing "Tari". Find thoughts.
Obey Talon. Profit.

Quote:
Midge...will you be the flagship of my heart? :p
Doppel... come aboard me. :p

no homo tho

Last edited by Midgeorge; 12-25-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Midgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #6056
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Saint Tail
Despite this being both dated and the inspiration for the all bad Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, I decided I would watch this. After 3 episodes, I don't think I can finish this. It's just a silly kid's anime where the writers aren't trying. It's cute, but there's a bunch of holes in each episode's plot. Like Jeanne, the main girl conveniently goes incompetent in times it makes no sense. It's much cuter than Jeanne, and much less insulting to my senses, but it's near the same league. Sadly for me, this show's only real good point is how cute it is. That doesn't take the show very far unfortunately. Thankfully I didn't have much hope for the show.

I'll watch the Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki movie whenever I get the time. I have no clue if it'll be any good, but it'll be something new under my belt!

Pure soul pure soul pure soul!
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #6057
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Bleagh. I have no idea why you're watching more of that stuff! You should sooner hang out with Super GALS! than watch over Jeanne's ancestors!

Speaking of Kotobuki Ran, I recently ran across a profile of Team Rocket's James in all of his cross-dresses. Dang, that guy is good. But perhaps most telling is James' very first cross-dress was as a kogal. Would enjou kousai! Wait, Episode 15 of Pokemon?! That was "Battle Aboard the St. Anne" and aired on 8 July 1997. Some of UPN's posters weren't even born before that episode aired!

It interests me because while the kogal phenomenon was pretty well-known at that time, it's rather uncommon today, because the fad flamed out. It's pretty remarkable how long Pokemon has been airing (and how OLD I AM) in that it could encompass a fad that feels like it was from another era. You'd wonder if James' CV would even remember what a kogal was, even though in that very episode he and Jesse went all "we're kogals!".
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #6058
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Speaking of Kotobuki Ran, I recently ran across a profile of Team Rocket's James in all of his cross-dresses. Dang, that guy is good. But perhaps most telling is James' very first cross-dress was as a kogal. Would enjou kousai! Wait, Episode 15 of Pokemon?! That was "Battle Aboard the St. Anne" and aired on 8 July 1997. Some of UPN's posters weren't even born before that episode aired!

It interests me because while the kogal phenomenon was pretty well-known at that time, it's rather uncommon today, because the fad flamed out. It's pretty remarkable how long Pokemon has been airing (and how OLD I AM) in that it could encompass a fad that feels like it was from another era. You'd wonder if James' CV would even remember what a kogal was, even though in that very episode he and Jesse went all "we're kogals!".
I actually received a Japanese fashion magazine in my fukubukuro.

A MAGAZINE FULL OF WOMEN WITH BLEACHED HAIR, LOADS OF TANNING AND WEARING ENOUGH EYE MAKE-UP TO LAST ME FIVE YEARS.

Honestly, it creeped me out. And I don't even understand the majority of the text!

Guess the ganguro trend is still alive and well, even if kogal's....not?

PS. Gotta love those Japanese ads for diet products that make normal-shaped women into stick figures.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:52 AM   #6059
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Gonna take a break from forums for the next few days, save the updates in DR. It seems I've developed some eye strain which makes it difficult for me to focus on animation or objects pointed up vertically. I'm looking at everything super-sized as a remedy. Given that, I think I need to take a break from both talking and playing games until things restore to their proper order.

When I come back I'll have a lot to talk about, so look for an explosion of content:

Kuragahime
Tsugumomo
Grisaia no Kajitsu
Shinigami no Kiss Wa Wakare no Aji
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-27-2013, 01:54 AM   #6060
McSweeney
Soul Badge

That James pic l0l. How does he have such nice legs in the Officer Jenny outfit? Well, I heard that high heels do make one's legs look better

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:38 AM   #6061
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Tsugumomo

This has been a blast to read, but probably not recommended for anyone here. The fanservice is all over the place and pretty explicit. It's an entertaining story of a guy named Kazuya who has the only memento of his mother, a sakura-smelling obi, come to life in the form of a tsumogami. The two work together to purge hair-demons called tsumogomo which appear around Kazuya, because his life is "cursed" and is causing heavy supernatural disturbance in the local area.

What I like about the main guy Kazuya is, he noticeably matures in just a few volumes. He goes from the prudish "oh my god naked girl!" stage in the mod of Urashima Keitaro to indifference pretty rapidly. He's not totally impotent either, a la Harayuki, and is capable of impressive feats when his heart is motivated.

The series isn't close to finished, but it's only produced two volumes in three years...not a good sign for pacing!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #6062
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Monogatari 26:

Godamn that episode. That ending.

Definitely an amazing season from beginning to end. Deserves at least an 8/10.

Season three please.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #6063
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Okay guys, Pupa is still a thing! And it'll start airing in Japan from January 9 onward.

Also this.

I'm just baffled how an event where they show the uncensored version of a program like that has no age limit. Japan!
Old 12-29-2013, 10:48 PM   #6064
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Looks like Hinako before she started all that training. I can see her diet is still a bodybuilder's, though!

Is that her brother's liver?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #6065
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Looks like Hinako before she started all that training. I can see her diet is still a bodybuilder's, though!

Is that her brother's liver?
Without getting too deep into the plot, the little sister becomes a flesh-eating monster and her big brother decides to become her living food source.

So it might be. Or anything else of his for that matter.

Started reading the manga and it's gripping.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:35 AM   #6066
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki
I found the time to watch this movie! I enjoyed this movie, but it was pretty flawed. The bits with the mother raising the kids were actually pretty good. How she tried to provide for them was actually really interesting to watch. I also really liked the premise. Someone trying their hardest to raise two halfhuman children and ask them the question "Do you want to live as a wolf or a human?". I would really like to see another anime like this, but better written. That's where the flaws begin. The writing was kind of poor at times. Yuki was actually pretty interesting at first, but I wasn't crazy about her growth. I mean, I can't knock points off of it because it went against my personal preference, but I still wasn't crazy about it. Actually the story felt incomplete. There were several loose ends, like with the guy Yuki met at school. They had time to complete said holes too, because we had many scenes where they just drew the kids run around for several minutes. I give this movie a 6.5. This felt too dull and unsatisfying to get any higher. Like I said before, I would really like to see a better written anime about someone raising halfbreed children. It doesn't have to be wolves. It could be a half-human half-Pokemon....OH SHIT THAT'LL BE GEN 7'S GIMMICK! Breed the trainer with the Pokemon to create halfhuman Pokemon!

For what I'll do next...I guess I will take off my top and get killed by Greg Kinnear. C85 is going on now, but I just don't care that much about Touhou games anymore. Even though it introduced a mermaid, I still haven't played Touhou 14.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:40 AM   #6067
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Shinigami no Kiss wa Wakare no Aji

What power the new year has. This novel, which I'd been gallivanting on for months, I've made a lot of progress through the Honoka route. At least for me.

I sometimes feel like I should film myself playing this VNs because I heckle them so much. When they're largely boring, as this one was, or predictable (I find high school kids predictable these days!) I have an impish desire to make fun of them. It's powerful and purveying, I have to use immense fortitude to stay focused.

What interests me about this route, at least, is the rival girl Rin seems to have gone to violent measures as retribution for being betrayed. Do most people act like this? It occurs from time to time in fiction and is more interesting than the alternative, but the alternative seems more realistic - and that is to be depressed and go suicidal, or mope around. Not really a fight or flight response, more like fight or leap off a building, but in a lot of real movies (notable Young Adam) I've seen the latter way more than the former. Guys or girls typically don't reach for the kitchen knife when someone cheats on them. And if they do, they point it at their writs.

Maybe a certain nurse could give a little input on this?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-02-2014, 10:12 PM   #6068
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I've cleared Honoka's Route, so 1/3 of the game is done.

I'd rate it a 4/10, below average. It was immensely boring, with a ton of lovey-dovey scenes and jokes that tasted flat. A few scenes were amusing but mostly because of my wise-arse attempts at making fun of them. To be perfectly honest, I think I'm starting to have a passionate dislike for H. It's just so drab and repetitive. It masquerades as super deep and insightful, but is ultimately just shallow and self-indulgent.

After playing Muv-Luv Alternative, which was very effective at portraying a romance (albeit an unusual one), the Honoka route felt less human and more animal. Honoka x Makoto spent most of their waking hours pumping each other like cars at a gas station. I'd call it painful, but I didn't feel much pain because while I was reading the novel, my brain took a shower. Is that Axe Cerebral Cologne I'm 'smelling'?

Hope to clear the OreImo route by tonight. It looks loads more promising.

Some hypotheses:

Kohaku or Izaoi is Hyori.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-04-2014, 06:13 PM   #6069
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Looks like even fansub groups are getting really sick and tired of certain tropes...when they even have file names like this:

[HorribleSubs] ImoCho – Another Shitty Sister LN Adaptation – 01 [480p]

Yeeeeeeah. Exactly what it says on the tin!
kaisap112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:46 PM   #6070
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I decided to start on this. I finished Honoka's route, since she seems the least interesting of the heroines. Honestly it was very meh. We just got some generic lovey-dovey scenes, and that's about it. It felt like I was reading nothing, to be honest. For the VN itself, it has an interesting premise with the tie to shinigami, and the main guy having no attachment to life. Though judging by the writing thus far, that potential will just fizzle out.

NEW SHOWS! Well only two of them. Replaying Dark Souls kills my desire to do other things.

Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta
This seemed like it would be an okay adventure anime. So far it's just so-so. The only thing really keeping me interested is the rage in the main guy's belly. I'm interested to see him turn into a crazy bastard. Otherwise, meh.

Pink-haired Tits the Animation
I like Super Sonico, so I figured I would give this a shot. Admittedly it's nothing I didn't expect. It's cute, but I'm not sure how long I will stick with it. I like the Super Sonico character, but I don't like Nitro+, so yeah.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:08 PM   #6071
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Will update this post with my thoughts on the First episodes of the Winter Series Shows as I watch them.

Super Sonico: Is it me or does Sonico have the fattest legs of any female anime character? Some of the poses she's drawn in make her look like a godess, and others make her look like a whale.

Anyway, no. This totally isn't my thing. Boring and Unfunny, etc.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #6072
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:

Super Sonico: Is it me or does Sonico have the fattest legs of any female anime character? Some of the poses she's drawn in make her look like a godess, and others make her look like a whale.
There's been bigger.

あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-06-2014, 05:25 PM   #6073
Talon87
時の彼方へ

If you think any of those girls looks plumper than Super Sonico, then you're not very familiar with Super Sonico. (NSFW sample here. Google Images link.)

If you think any of those girls fits Midgeorge's description of "a whale", then you've got an incredibly anorexia-skewed view of women's bodies, I'd say. ^^; Because those girls are all three of them skinny. Even the one who's meant to be plumpest of all, Saaya, looks positively skinny there minus the breasts. Here's a better sample, albeit fanart, of her looking like her regular "meat on them bones" self. Compare the thighs there with the thighs in your picture. There's like no comparison. Night and day obvious difference.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:35 PM   #6074
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Um yeah what, those legs ain't fat l0l. Now I feel like digging through my folder and showing my idea of perfect legs ... might even be something a little thicker and stronger looking than those.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:52 PM   #6075
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
If you think any of those girls looks plumper than Super Sonico, then you're not very familiar with Super Sonico. (NSFW sample here. Google Images link.)

If you think any of those girls fits Midgeorge's description of "a whale", then you've got an incredibly anorexia-skewed view of women's bodies, I'd say. ^^; Because those girls are all three of them skinny. Even the one who's meant to be plumpest of all, Saaya, looks positively skinny there minus the breasts. Here's a better sample, albeit fanart, of her looking like her regular "meat on them bones" self. Compare the thighs there with the thighs in your picture. There's like no comparison. Night and day obvious difference.
Yeah, I really wanted to ignore an article I read at some point that blamed anime for Japanese people having eating disorders, but hot damn if anyone thinks the girls in that pick are fat...

I'm actually sorta glad we have more female characters (outside of hentai) with meat on their bones, and not just with a KKKK-bust. I do realize most Japanese(?) have a fairly skinny physique and anime shouldn't be a go-to place for proper body image, but still.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime