UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 07-17-2007, 05:39 PM   #1
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Nanatsuiro Drops

This is an anime that came out like three weeks ago, and I have thoroughly enjoyed both of the episodes that have come out. Now, the strange thing about this is the fact that I am hooked on this for the sole reason that it is just downright adorable and very very sweet. That's IT. The story's not that original and it is a magical girl anime (I really don't like magical girl anime except maybe CCS).

Anyway, off to the story. This is about this dude who is not social at all. He drinks this drink that was dropped by this masked dude with sunglasses and cat ears. After that, he turns into this stuffed lamb. His teacher tells him that he needs to have someone collect these star drops (I think that's what they are called) to return back to normal. After that, he whacks the main dude (it's too early to learn his name) into Sumomo's house. She quickly befriends him and names him Yuki. The super adorable Sumomo is supposed to use her overgrown spoon (that's basically what it is) to collect the star drops.

Sure, it sounds crappy, but Sumomo is adorable. Hell, she's almost as adorable as Ayu =O. If you remember the picture I posted in my suggestion box with her sitting beside Shana, you know how adorable she is. She is this shy crybaby around the main dude (I'm positive that she likes him), but that is one of the many reasons to love her. Also, this isn't THAT corny. One of the things that I hate about magical girl anime is the transformation sequences. This doesn't have them. It's like CCS where her outfit is given to her.

Now for some fun facts about this. First off, this was originally a PC h-game that was released last year. Honestly, I don't think that's right. Adorable things are supposed to be hugged, not ****ed. I'm not going to rant anymore on that though.

Secondly, if you did notice the picture of Sumomo sitting by Shana, well, you should of realized that the character designer of this also did the character design of Shakugan no Shana. Umm, not really much comment for that.

Anyway, I will continue to watch this, and if you want something nice and cute to look at, then I recommend this.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:18 PM   #2
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Re: Nanatsuiro Drops

Noizi Ito is awesome.

Haruhi. Shana. Now this. More pedo dreams for me.

lol.

You think I'm joking.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:33 PM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I can only wonder what sort of Phoenix Wright dreams you have had ... Pearl is so cute! >o<
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

If I can commission someone at Otakon to make it true, I will make a copy for you.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:55 PM   #5
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Umm, isn't Phoenix Wright a lawyer game for the DS? I was just wondering because I didn't think a DS game would contribute to wet dreams....

Anyway, I have found some excellent images from Nanatsuiro Drops. I couldn't find any screen-shots unfortunately. All of them are scans that are done in the same style as the game. That's a shame because I think that the anime looks cuter than the game. I think I will just DL the first episode and just save them like that.

The three main ND girls
A less energetic, but just as cute image of the ND girls
Loki, don't get any strange ideas
Sumomo sitting with her giant spoon
Aww, she's hugging Yuki X3

I have a few more, but that's all I really feel like showing off. I just started an account on that site, so I don't have too much there yet. Also, as you might be able to tell, I got most of those images from the same site. If I can manage, expect screen-shots too, because I want everyone to experience the full power of "OMG I wanna hug her!"
Old 07-18-2007, 04:06 PM   #6
Talon87
時の彼方へ

That is absolutely adorable, and I have an image of the main girl on my computer which I mistook for an Asahina Mikuru look-alike in some random visual novel. Now I see that it was taken from this game.

My big problem with this title will probably be, "I will not be able to watch this without thinking about how many lolikons are getting hard-ons to it." She looks absolutely adorable, though, in a completely asexual way. Real shame that (in all likelihood) the original game is intended for lolikons.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:15 AM   #7
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger

Yeah, I got this show because of BBB's recommendation. Thoughts pending (?). Short version:

1. Dopple doen't really like Sumomo. I don't dislike her, there's just nothing really compelling for me to like her.
2. SATOSHI HINO IS THE GLASSES DUDE HOLY CRACK!! キタ━━━━━⠔(゚∀゚)━━━⠁━━ !!!!!
3. Really surreal-like quality to this show. Looks great.
4. Main dude is surprisingly interesting.
5. Do not care for the furries.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:35 PM   #8
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

I like the blue-haired glasses girl but aside from her hate the character designs and art style. The first episode was really colorful so I guess I like that part of it but everything else was pretty generic. If they were playing this as a straight magical girl series I might like but since I've seen what it is based off of (>.>) I'm expecting the worst. Yeah Sumomo will win but the series will still have a non-end or eventual OVA where the other girls do. I'll probably get to watching episode two tommorow~been way behind in watching stuff lately.
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:26 PM   #9
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm watching episode two right now. Halfway through, I'm seriously insulted by how "sensitive" Sumomo is supposed to be.

*does a face-flip*

SUMOMO IS JUN?!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-19-2007, 06:23 PM   #10
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Wow, you are actually watching it =O. She proves to be a bigger crybaby in episode three, but I think that's adorable. Anyway, I got the screen-shot problem solved and I have screen-shots from the first episode. Here we go...

Sumomo in the sky with Yuki
Another adorable picture of Sumomo
The three main girls
The cast of Nanatsuiro Drops
This is self explanatory
A fateful encounter (I guess)
Have you been neutered or spade?
Here's the strange dude with the drink.
Awwwww X3
Sumomo using her giant spoon.
The arrival of a generic villan.

Well, there you go. Oh, and just so you know, this is still more adorable than Sumomo will ever be
Old 07-19-2007, 06:31 PM   #11
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Based on looks alone, the other two girls are blah while Sumomo is like (no shitting) an 11/10 on the Cuteness Scale. Yes, an impossible score. Because she's just so amazingly cu~~~~~ute. But hey, when was the last time looks ever counted for the full enjoyment factor? (Case in point, Yuki proved to be far greater than Mikuru come Episode K10 of Haruhi last summer.)
Old 07-19-2007, 06:39 PM   #12
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm really liking the surreal quality of the night-time romps of Yuki and Sumomo. I cannot put my finger on why, but it's bringing back memories I cannot completely remember from simmilarly fantastical shows, and one game in particular - Rayman. Along with Interplay's LOTR and Baldur's Gate, Rayman is probably my most favourite game of all time. Rayman's politeness inspired how I talk today, and I became a more serious music student in Elementary School/Junior High because of the magical Bandland and a better athlete because of the Blue Mountains/Cave of Skops.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-19-2007, 06:41 PM   #13
Talon87
時の彼方へ

*recommends the fictional rated PG version of the game to Doppel*
*goes to enjoy Narcissu*
Old 07-19-2007, 08:14 PM   #14
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha
She proves to be a bigger crybaby in episode three...
No kidding. I'm getting really pissed off with her weakling attitude, someone should punch her in the face and knock some sense into her!

Like...Kamina. This series needs a Kamina. I desperately want to hear, "Sumomo! Your ladle is the ladle that will scoop up the heavens!"

Except for the main dude, and Satoshi Hino, there's a great deal of FABULOUS guys in ND, and it's quite grating. The chibis don't help either...
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-19-2007, 08:22 PM   #15
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You're looking for GAR and all you're finding is GAY.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:40 PM   #16
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive. There's such a dichotomy as FABULOUS GAR afterall...

But that's beside the point - while awesome male characters is always a plus, I can stomach a show with a lot of girls or people who act like girls. In fact, I haven't seen a show for a long time with males who weren't FABULOUS or GAR. The problem is...well, Sumomo's angst reading is quite outrageous, totally disproportionate to how she's treated in the series. So much so that it's disgusting - if there was a valid reason for her being such a wimp, like maybe she saw her mother burn to death or something, then maybe her timid attitude would be justified.

This is just the scene I finished and I was digging my nails into my skull in agony trying to get through it. It sounds a LOT better in text than in animation, I will say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragh
Sumomo gets her star stolen by this other girl, so she starts crying. Then she sits on a swing and cries and cries. Tawamari (I believe that's his name) comes over and suggests she just do her best, that's all Yuki can ask for. When she sees Yuki, she calls herself useless and says, "the only thing I can do is smile, so I'll do it" them promptly tries to hold a smile, fails, and cries. BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW.

I'm worried about the show moving in the direction of Nanoha (I can just imagine the drool oozing from Lindsay's gaping maw) and the midsummer-night's dream segment of the story vanishing away. Frankly, I'd like to go back toward the Mushishi laid-back storytelling style, not the competitive shoujo tournament deal.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-19-2007, 08:50 PM   #17
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Dude. She's waving around a magical spoon-staff. MAHOU SHOUJO like I never did see.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:57 PM   #18
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Yeah yeah, I know that. But Sumomo is a far, far, far, faaaaar bigger baby than Serena/Usagi from Sailor Moon was, who managed to kick arse and whine comedically when she fell on her arse. Sumomo doens't even grant us something along the lines of funny (that was reserved for the other girl, who, when introduced, brought fanservice along for the ride) - she's just irritating. =_=

I might take up your suggestion on the game, but I need to get through Planetarian and possibly Clannad (if translated) first - awaiting your imput, BPK.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-19-2007, 10:50 PM   #19
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
No kidding. I'm getting really pissed off with her weakling attitude, someone should punch her in the face and knock some sense into her!
Dude, that's horrible! I mean, would you like to see someone punch a kitten? I don't know if she will raise her spoon to her generic rival, but I'm sure she won't cry as much later on. Also, look at how she is constantly guarded by her best friend. I'm sure she has a reason for being a crybaby. Even though her crying did get little on my nerves later episode three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuande
Based on looks alone, the other two girls are blah while Sumomo is like (no shitting) an 11/10 on the Cuteness Scale. Yes, an impossible score. Because she's just so amazingly cu~~~~~ute. But hey, when was the last time looks ever counted for the full enjoyment factor? (Case in point, Yuki proved to be far greater than Mikuru come Episode K10 of Haruhi last summer.)
Well, Sumomo is about nothing but pure cuteness. When she's not crying, you just wanna hug the stuffing out of her. Honestly, that's about it. Her personality doesn't stand out, but she's very sweet. Her best friend (the one with the spade) is a pretty good character. She's like the very understanding but headstrong guardian (pretty much) of Sumomo. She's not unnecessarily violent, and how she handles episode two gets the tip of the hat from me.

Ok, I have a quick question for everyone here. As you see, I posted some pictures from the game and some from the anime. Now, according to a link that Suigin showed me before I made this thread, the people think that the game is cuter, while I think that the anime is cuter. Which do you think is cuter? The game or the anime?
Old 07-19-2007, 11:44 PM   #20
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Dude, that's horrible! I mean, would you like to see someone punch a kitten? I don't know if she will raise her spoon to her generic rival, but I'm sure she won't cry as much later on. Also, look at how she is constantly guarded by her best friend. I'm sure she has a reason for being a crybaby. Even though her crying did get little on my nerves later episode three.
She's no kitten. There's absolutely no being in anime history I can think of who can compare to Sumomo's whining.

Well, no. That's wrong. There is one.

Shinji Ikari.

Quote:
Ok, I have a quick question for everyone here. As you see, I posted some pictures from the game and some from the anime. Now, according to a link that Suigin showed me before I made this thread, the people think that the game is cuter, while I think that the anime is cuter. Which do you think is cuter? The game or the anime?
Anime.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-20-2007, 02:25 AM   #21
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
She's no kitten. There's absolutely no being in anime history I can think of who can compare to Sumomo's whining.
I'm not saying she's a kitten. I'm saying that punching her in the face would be just as horrible as punching a kitten in the face. Both of them are cute and harmless.

As for the whining thing...I have to agree. Of course, crying excessively usually doesn't get on my nerves (I hated Gundam SEED for the bad drama and excessive crying though), so I don't notice that much. There is only one whiny character that really bothered me and that is definitely Yuji from Shana. However, he wasn't as bad as the episodes went on, so I forgave.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:11 AM   #22
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

At the very least, Yuuji tried to do something beyond his limits to curb his weakness - training with Shana, strengthening the output of his Hougou, fighting alongside her. He was angsty, yeah, but with good reason - he was dead. Ghost-types are bound to be the most depressed of all folks, and Yuuji wasn't depressed in the latter part of the show.

Bad omens if Sumomo doesn't shape up soon, though.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-20-2007, 07:40 AM   #23
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You know my opinion already, but since you addressed your question to the entire forum ...

Game. I love Noizi Ito's artwork, and a lot of it seems to be lost in translation from the game to the anime just as it was in Shana and (to a much lesser extent) in Haruhi.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:25 PM   #24
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Well, since someone other than me is actually watching this, I will speak my thoughts on each episode as they are released. The episodes usually release RAW on Tuesday while the subbed comes out on Thursday. This series won't take long to finish because there's only 12 episodes =/.

Well, since I did present the question about which is cuter, I might as well explain why I think the anime is cuter. I personally prefer the way the anime looks because I like the coloring better and the characters have more personality in their expressions.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:17 PM   #25
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Well, since someone other than me is actually watching this, I will speak my thoughts on each episode as they are released. The episodes usually release RAW on Tuesday while the subbed comes out on Thursday. This series won't take long to finish because there's only 12 episodes =/.
Huh? I read it was twenty six. *checks*

o_O

oh shi-

Quote:
Well, since I did present the question about which is cuter, I might as well explain why I think the anime is cuter. I personally prefer the way the anime looks because I like the coloring better and the characters have more personality in their expressions.
Ito's coloured work is good, but her sketches are not usually better than anime adaptions. Not to say her art is bad, the anime is just superior - Shana is one of the rare exceptions where I would say novel > anime art. Haruhi's anime is better, and Nanatsuiro's art is pretty close to Haruhi's.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime