UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 09-17-2015, 01:17 PM   #1
deoxys
Fog Badge

Ace Attorney

https://twitter.com/CourtRecords_/st...904384?lang=en

Ace Attorney anime has been announced for April 2016. More details to come soon.

IS ANYONE ELSE REALLY FREAKIN' HYPED?!
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:36 PM   #2
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey LET'S [HYPE]

!!!

Finally another animu to look forward to \o/
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:38 PM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I have been wanting a faithful adaptation of the video games for years. Provided it's a faithful adaptation (and not a spinoff series, though that could be fun too!), I will be a very happy fan. It would mean finally being able to share the games with friends, family, and co-workers who don't want to put in the investment necessary to play the video games, i.e. purchase a DS, 3DS, Wii, and/or Wii U. (Or hell -- even play them on your smartphone.) A lot of people have this idea in their heads of "I am not a gamer, but I am a television watcher," and while I don't understand why they make the distinction -- a good story's a good story! -- I can understand that they do. Having an Ace Attorney anime to steer them towards is a godsend. It means I can finally share my love for Phoenix x Maya shipping, for Pearl Fey, for magatamas, and so much more with ... well, with more than just a very few select friends IRL and then you guys here on UPN. ^^;

If the anime is instead an "inspired by the video games"-esque TV series that uses the same characters and universe but has independent, made-for-TV stories ... well, while that's not quite the same as what I asked for, it'd still be pretty neat for all of us hardcore fans of the Ace Attorney series. It'd mean getting an extended look at some of our favorite characters. (Spoilers through the first case of Ace Attorney 4 follow.)

Spoiler: show
And in the case of the show being set during the AA1 thru AA3 years, it'd mean getting to spend more time with pre-timeskip Phoenix, pre-timeskip Maya, pre-timeskip Pearl, and other characters who are love it or hate it irreparably affected by the ten-year time skip of Game 4.

Think of it as sort of a ... "Shadows of the Empire" treatment. "We know the canon is already way past this point in the timeline, but we wanted to revisit it, to see some of the adventures that Nick and Maya went on in between the cases explored by the video games."

Has it been confirmed that the guy who played Phoenix Wright in the live-action film (and who voiced Phoenix in Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright, Japanese edition only ) will be returning to voice Phoenix here? I know he's not a career voice actor, but he is a career actor; and I think he has what it takes. He won me over by the end of the live-action film. I'd love to have him on board again.

It'll be reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally interesting to see who all voices who since the AA games have such a large cast of beloved characters by this point. Honestly, if you were to give a unique character to every single VA, I feel like all of the well-known VAs in the industry right now would receive a role -- and then we'd run out of them, and have to turn to lesser-known VAs for others of the characters. Who will voice Lotta Hart? Who will voice Wendy Oldbag? Who will voice Will Powers? Who will voice Larry Butz? The list goes on and on.

Animated Pearl Fey I am going to diiiiiiiiiiiiie :'D ...
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:55 PM   #4
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

It's time to kill a thread with my very being

Admittingly squealed with delight upon reading that this will be a thing.

I've gotten hooked into the Ace Attorney series, though have only been able to play the Apollo Justice game. It's just a really fun thing, and I'm hyped for the spring Anime season.

I'll get out of the anime section with one last link, though.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:56 PM   #5
Heather
Naga's Voice

I just picked up the eShop trilogy and have been playing it off of hazy memories of NicoB's play through (memories so hazy that I actually managed to get myself penalized once in the first case), and I kind of hope that they get NicoB to do some voices because I just instantly make the connection (i.e. Oldbag/Edgeworth) because they were so humorous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:37 AM   #6
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I'm interested but from the artwork I'm not enthusiastic, it looks to be predictably lower budget than many would have hoped.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:46 AM   #7
SW!FT
Pokemon Trainer

I actually freaked out so much when I heard about this. I've been waiting for this for like three years now, but I've also been afraid because I don't want them to ruin it and send me spiraling into a depression

SW!FT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:23 AM   #8
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I'm interested but from the artwork I'm not enthusiastic, it looks to be predictably lower budget than many would have hoped.
Considering Capcom is tottering on the edge of declaring bankruptcy, this anime is most likely a much-needed cash infusion for the IP holder (Capcom) than it is a celebration of all things great about the IP. That doesn't have to mean the anime will suck, but of course it means it won't be able to be as great as it otherwise could have been. The most obvious place to cut costs is in animation, so hopefully so long as the animation is halfway decent, we get A-listers for the voice actors, and we get a solid composer adapting the video games' scores to television, the anime will still be good or better.

If you think back to a certain other anime, what killed that anime wasn't just its often times horrible animation. MCA also suffered from poor editing, poor script writing, and (imv) a poor soundtrack; and so what we were left with was just an overall bad product from top to bottom. Getting improved animation would certainly have helped it, but we still would've had all the problems we had with it. Any number of these can be avoided with the Ace Attorney anime, and some of them (like problems with the plot content) I would flat out expect to be avoided.

Since Capcom has no money left, one important question to be answered is, "Who's funding this? " I began to write a lot of thoughts on each possibility here, but it's kind of silly: I should really find out who is funding this first before I even weigh in. (Production committee ... general public ... out-of-pocket animation studio ...)
Old 09-23-2015, 06:37 PM   #9
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Wait, since when is Capcom bankrupt?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-23-2015, 06:47 PM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Wait, since when is Capcom bankrupt?
Since a few years ago. Really worsened last summer (2014). Googling the proof yields spotty results, but about a year ago a lot of people were talking about it. How they pulled the plug on Mega Man (Legends 3 canceled, Keiji Inafune let go), how Ace Attorney sells so poorly they didn't want to release it physically outside Japan, how they've burned bridges with Street Fighter loyalists over DLC and too frequent new editions of SFIV, how they haven't made a good Resident Evil game in ten years ... stuff like that.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:53 PM   #11
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Ace Attorney always struck me as a huge cash-cow, but it's true I haven't heard much from them lately. Titles released by Chunsoft for some reason seemed very Capcom in style, so I just assumed everything that couldn't be pigeon-holed as Square-Enix, Nintendo, Konami or Sega was Capcom.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-23-2015, 07:13 PM   #12
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Ace Attorney is (sadly ) the opposite of a huge cash cow. It is a much-beloved franchise by a niche audience. Just consider: how few UPNers ever post or have posted in one of our six Ace Attorney game threads? I can tell you: it's not many. And UPN's the target demographic for visual novels. Much more so than the Call of Duty audience or the casual Mario Kart audience.

It's a wonderful series, but sadly most people who admire it either pirate it or don't play past the first couple of games. I proudly own every one of the games released in North America to date, but that's like me saying I own every Nasuverse game: cool, maybe even admirable, but not common of VN players. VN players, by and large, are too accustomed to not having to pay to play.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:19 PM   #13
Heather
Naga's Voice

I actually picked up the eShop trilogy, and have been chipping at Trials and Tribulations (just started Case 3). I've heard whispers of a confirmation of an AA6 in the works-I WANT IT. I WANT IT SO MUCH.

Quote:
Old 09-29-2015, 05:31 PM   #14
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkBOeY-NFeM
Old 09-30-2015, 05:53 AM   #15
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkbeat View Post

As much as I adore Phoenix Wright, this feels very much like the "jumped the shark" game. Spoiler comments.

I dislike the idea that there is a "Kurain Kingdom" (クライン王国) somewhere in Asia ŕ la Tibet or Nepal. The Kurain Channeling Technique was created by Mystic Ami. The headquarters of the technique's practitioners is Kurain Village in Japan. (Was the village named after the technique? Or was the technique named after the village?) Mystic Ami's ashes are kept in Kurain Village. The leader of the school comes from the main family -- who reside in this village. There's no reason to think that Kurain Village would be like a lowly podunk colony to a much larger, grander nation of Kurain spirituality.

Furthermore, and deserving its own separate paragraph: MAGATAMAS ARE UNIQUELY JAPANESE! They are artifacts from a Japanese prehistoric civilization. A legendary magatama is also said to be one of the Three Imperial Treasures. (A sword, a mirror, and a magatama.) They don't exist in China. They don't exist in Korea. They don't exist in Vietnam, in Cambodia, in Laos. They don't exist anywhere outside of Japan. They are uniquely Japanese. --And they matter greatly in the Kurain school. Every fan knows that Phoenix uses Maya's or Pearl's magatamas to break Psyche-Locks. Can't do it without one. So wtf, man. How could there be a Kurain Kingdom "somewhere in Asia" when the school's very tools are exclusively Japanese?

Third, the prosecutor's name is レイファ・パドマ・クライン, or Reifa Padoma ... Kurain. Her last name is Kurain. How!? Why!? No!! Now we're gonna say that there's a royal Kurain family named the Kurains!? No. This is stupid. Why wouldn't Ami Fey have been Ami Kurain? Why wouldn't this historic detail have ever come up before when Phoenix was being taught the history of the Kurain school? C'mon, maaaan!

But despite my pessimism, I'm actually still optimistic overall. I haven't played 5 still but the fact that they're pushing through with a sixth main series game is promising news about 5's sales and quality. Hopefully whoever made 5 great (assuming it is great) will be attached to this project too.

I'm also positive towards ...

What looks like a reference to the eight-fold path in Buddhism in this game's new mechanic. While Buddhism afaik really has no place in Japanese ascetism, i.e. Japanese ascetics are all Shinto based, the decision to explore some Buddhism here should hopefully make for a way to rationalize differences between Chinese/Asian mainland Kurain techniques and Japanese ones.

The princess-shrine maiden looks a little overdesigned to me and didn't strike me as too interesting from the trailer. But I'm optimistic about her too. Hoping she'll be a good addition to the cast. Provides Maya with a royal cousin/aunt/niece, at the very least.

Her voice actress sounds really familiar. Hoping yet again that they allow Western fans to play with the Japanese audio enabled.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:07 AM   #16
Heather
Naga's Voice

I'd been wondering about the magatamas, as they looked similar to the one you use to break psyche locks. Then Talon translated the Japanese...

What. So we're to believe that
The Kurain Village/technique as we know it is just some expy of a larger Kurain nation!? They better do a real good job justifying this...

Quote:
Old 10-01-2015, 01:02 PM   #17
Prince
Cascade Badge

I remember reading the manga while I was still fresh in college. I wonder if the anime storyline will lead more towards the game's or the manga's. Or if it'll be completely original, which I honestly wouldn't mind one bit. If Godot makes any kind of appearance, automatic +1.

AA6 so far looks kinda... Awkward... But I wanna see more about it before I get my hopes down.

But yes for the most part, holy hell, HYPE.

W/L/D
6/5/0

*Rest in Peace, Your Royal Badness.*

Congratulations! Your Bad Digital Art has evolved into Bad Animation Attempt!
Will update eventually maybe possibly who even looks at these?
Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:20 PM   #18
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

There's been a lot of vitrol over this anime information. It's obvious to me why. To others, I merely present it without comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Internet
Phoenix Wright as Yuki Kaji
Maya Fey as Aoi Yuki
Miles Edgeworth as Masashi Tamaki
Mia Fey as Chie Nakamura
Dick Gumshoe as Masami Iwasaki

Animation Production : A-1 Pictures
Director: Ayumu Watanabe
Serie composition: Atsuhiro Tomioka
Music: Kaoru Wada
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-18-2015, 11:39 PM   #19
Talon87
時の彼方へ

KAAAAAJI YUUUUKI!? orz The guy's great fun, but ... not as Phoenix Wright, man. Goddammit. Why couldn't they just let the live-action actor return? He was good enough for the official games! Why the fuck isn't he good enough for some cartoon on TV? Arhghghghg
Old 12-18-2015, 11:45 PM   #20
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

somewhere, you can hear the sounds of a kaisa screaming
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:23 PM   #21
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
somewhere, you can hear the sounds of a kaisa screaming
Most likely Skype.

And I bet you did hear her. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
KAAAAAJI YUUUUKI!? orz The guy's great fun, but ... not as Phoenix Wright, man. Goddammit. Why couldn't they just let the live-action actor return? He was good enough for the official games! Why the fuck isn't he good enough for some cartoon on TV? Arhghghghg
My hot take:

1. The first and perhaps biggest one is there's a kind of informal barrier to cross-entertainment hires. I don't see a lot of J-Drama actors/actresses perform in anime. I don't see a lot of hentai exclusive CVs in anime, nor do I see famous comedians or big ticket movie actors/actresses in anime. It's an industry dominated by professional voice-over artists, who carry with them their own name brand. I don't know why this is, but it's a phenomenon I've observed.
2. Name brand, again. It's a huge thing right now in marketing theory, along with franchises. Disgusting as it may be, people do follow CVs they love and will watch a show based on who is starring, regardless of the content. Casting Yuki Kaji isn't meant to enthrall Ace Attorney fans, but non-AA fans who would otherwise not have interest. YK is apparently a fujoshi darling right now.
3. A-1 Pictures has become the new SHAFT/JC Staff. They're producing huge quantities of shows each year, all of middling quality. It's understandable they'd go for the most profitable name, even if it's less artistically tolerable.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-27-2016, 02:38 AM   #22
Lauren
Pokemon Trainer

I hope to see something like Case Closed (Detective Conan), it would be nice..
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:18 AM   #23
deoxys
Fog Badge

So..

The first episode kicked off yesterday; the silence here so far makes me think that either people just haven't gotten to it yet, or people weren't impressed enough to comment.

I could see how this would possibly be difficult for those who didn't play the games to jump into. The pacing felt fine (to me), but I tried to put myself in the shoes of an outsider who might be confused about so many things. The episode was a case, start to finish. Very little background information or character development was there; which worked out just fine in the games, but it felt somewhat off as the first episode of an anime. The only real introduction was the minute or two prior to the opening (and that opening - where, uh, do I even begin...), so - it's difficult for me to form an opinion on that end because I have been a fan of the series for several years.

As an adaptation, they did a very good job overall. As some of us predicted, the animation quality is definitely nothing to write home about, but I'd say that, so far at least, it's fine for what it is. The first episode was an excellent retelling of the tutorial case in AA, my only gripe was
the lack of the toupee hitting Nick in the face!

I'm curious as to how they're going to pace this over a 13 episode time frame. I suspect we'll only get cases from AA, though I wonder if we'll see Rise from the Ashes...

Anyway. I'm not disappointed. Not yet, at least. It seemed to do a pretty good job adapting the story thus far.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:48 PM   #24
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

Just finished the first scene and the OP and had to pause because I'm laughing way harder than I should be. OP is just hysterical to me for some reason.

And the first scene is literally, "I'm Phoenix Wright, and today's my first day of being a lawyer!!!!!!!" The only thing missing was him having a piece of burnt toast in his mouth.

And finished with the first episode. It was just kinda meh for me. Sadly, the first case in the game, while being a great first case for introducing you to the game, doesn't translate very well over to being the first episode of the anime, primarily because the case as a whole, to me, just feels like the odd one out in the games. It's a tutorial more than anything. I feel a bit disappointed with it, and am worried about how well the more serious and emotional parts will be handled both in presentation and writing. But at the end of the day, they had to make a first episode out of not so great first episode material, so can't really judge too harshly.

Last edited by Sparkbeat; 04-04-2016 at 10:16 PM.
Sparkbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:33 PM   #25
Chalis
Activating Rampage

Late, but not much to say, due to the fact it's basically the game. It was alright, though, and I love the opening.

I just hope it gets better; the second case is interesting to me, can't wait to see how that's done.

"Meteor Jam!"

Chalis is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime