UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out

Old 08-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #76
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
Very well written, lilblue. And congrats on Taki's evolution! Definitely a great way to RP the evolution.

And speaking of Eevee, I'm still open to ideas regarding where to RP the Eevee family reunion (which I have decided to name The Re-Eeveening, credit for that idea goes to lilblue). I'm thinking of hosting it at my Secret Base, but if anyone has any other ideas, then by all means, please speak up. I'm thinking of getting it started soon.
Thanks. ^^ Eevee evolve into Espeon by happiness after all, and what better way to make her happy than by giving her a permanent home? *hugs Taki* <3

Also I'd love to come to your Base, haven't paid a visit yet. =)
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #77
Charminions
Your reality is mine

That was really feely and awesome, kudos Yuki!

And MM, maybe have all the Eevees go on a little adventure in the Tree Grove?
Old 08-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #78
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charminions View Post
And MM, maybe have all the Eevees go on a little adventure in the Tree Grove?
Well, it's not a bad idea, but I was really rather picturing this as something for the trainers as well as the Pokémon, you know?
Old 08-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #79
Ex-Admiral Insane
Marsh Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Ex-Admiral Insane
>Finally got a chance to read Lilblue's story.

It's beautiful Lilblue and a perfect way to RP an evolution, especially one done by happiness ratings. Descriptive words escape me so...
Congratulations! and Encore!

Fizzy Bubbles Team:
Spoiler: show
Party:
Traitors:
Lost Souls:
Ex-Admiral Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:49 PM   #80
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Alrighty, let the Re-Eeveening begin! Again, though the idea of them in the Tree Grove had its merits, I did want this to be something for the trainers as well as the Pokémon. As no other suggestions were brought forth, this Eevee family reunion will be taking place in my Secret Base. Everyone who got an Eevee from emp is welcome, as well as anyone whose Pokémon are friends or significant others of any of these Eevee/Eeveelutions. Also, if you have an Eevee or an Eeveelution, but not one from emp, you're welcome to come as well.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:58 PM   #81
Shadowshocker
used First Impression

Quote:
Alrighty, let the Re-Eeveening begin! Again, though the idea of them in the Tree Grove had its merits, I did want this to be something for the trainers as well as the Pokémon. As no other suggestions were brought forth, this Eevee family reunion will be taking place in my Secret Base. Everyone who got an Eevee from emp is welcome, as well as anyone whose Pokémon are friends or significant others of any of these Eevee/Eeveelutions. Also, if you have an Eevee or an Eeveelution, but not one from emp, you're welcome to come as well.
Will the above be taking place during the later hours of the day - the eeveening?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)
Shadowshocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #82
Charminions
Your reality is mine

I seem to keep promoting the usage of the Tree Grove, but I never actually ventured there, so I decided to break the hypocracy. Those who're up for some RPing should join in.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #83
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charminions View Post
I seem to keep promoting the usage of the Tree Grove, but I never actually ventured there, so I decided to break the hypocracy. Those who're up for some RPing should join in.
I have joined in and there's a Pachirisu in need of some intelligent conversation.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #84
Toyo
hail

Quote:
> owns two Eevee, one of which from Emp's group

dangit I'm going to have to do this umu
Toyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:41 PM   #85
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
Well, this is gonna be a bit of a banter here, but frankly it was here or the TO, and because this concerns my RP character and team, I've opted to pop it here. It's pretty much my last-ditch attempt to actually get life into FB on my end, as I've noticed I've been drifting further and further away from this place and started losing interest ever since the thing started becoming more like GPX+ than FB with mon collection and whatnot, but unless I do something about it, I'll probably end up quitting FB to nobody's distress.

Hell, a couple of you would be glad to see the back of me.

Anyways, the problem I've been having is with my character here, Alex. I've gave him a change before with a really badly slated backstory concerning some silly project to make a child soldier of sorts that went horribly wrong, leading to a mind wipe and shipping to FB to do some stuff, along with his Chimchar and smuggled Snover. Through some shenanigans, he started angsting about his past wondering which of his memories are real and fake, and continued to angst hard to the point where I stopped replying to RP. His mons were mostly flat, shallow mons void of any real personality, save for a few, and were involved in some undisclosed and perpetually unspoken past events concerning how Alex got wind of his false memories yadda yadda yadda.

I hate Alex, the character.

No easy way to put it, I don't like how he's came out. While it would be simpler to simply reinvent him again, it'd just mean bastardising another silly excuse for his change in identity, and by that point he'd just be a colossal mess of backstory that's silly revolving shadow organizations, genetic bullshittery and the sort of confusion that turns people to stone. While I like my idea of that organization, I hate what I've done with Alex, yet realise that if I tried to salvage him into another person, it just wouldn't work, and that I really need to start from square one again with my FB OC as such.

That leaves me with Alex. I have here a character I need rid of, and I've an idea as to how I'll be getting back into the swing of things here, but the problem is with proverbially tossing out the trash. Right now, I've two options: I could either retcon his existence, which would otherwise render every RP post I've made in bases null and void, and would be the easier of the two.

The other option is to kill him off. What do I do?

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:19 PM   #86
Talon87
時の彼方へ

No need to kill him off as, if you change your mind later for whatever unforeseeable reason(s), it'd make things even sillier/more awkward for you.

If I found myself in your position -- where I really hated my character and felt like I wanted to retcon him / create an entirely new existence -- then I would do precisely that. I'm not sure how much the rules formally permit or forbid that sort of thing, but I should think that even if it's not formally permitted, it should certainly not be expressly forbidden! That'd be kind of nuts.

I ramble on a bit.

Spoiler: show
FB has a limit of only one character per account and only one account per person, so one'd basically be forcing people to quit if they suddenly hated their characters and wanted a do over. I sure doubt that's the case. There's got to be some leniency as far as allowing people to stay but to utterly, utterly redo their characters. In fact ........... I'm not even sure that the rules really care. ^_^; I'd have to double-check, but I mean ... why should they care? It's your character you're choosing to erase or retcon, not anyone else's. If other people want to maintain that your character's actions were real and had real repercussions, that's their prerogative; likewise, if you want to "LA LA LA LA, LA LA LA LA, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!~" cover your ears with your hands and pretend like none of this ever happened and get a fresh start, I don't really see why you couldn't.

If I'm wrong and there are actually rules on the books forbidding this sort of thing, maybe it's something to bring up. Maybe the rules should be amended to ensure that people have the ability to reset their characters at least once every year, or once every two years, or whatever.

Really, though, as silly as this would be to most of us (and probably to you too), I don't see how anyone could really prevent you from RPing this:
  • Alex goes into the Temple of Forgotten Memories
  • Alex is attacked and/or comes under the influence of some ancient magic or ritual or something.
  • Alex escapes with his life, and his Pokémon are all unharmed, but he's now like an entirely different person. New personality, new strengths and weaknesses, maybe even a new body.
  • SUDDENLY HYPNO!
  • Alex's Pokémon's memories of Past Alex are all overwritten with their memories of New Alex.
Which is ................ well, which is what it sounds like you *tried* to do this last time, only this last go-around you were sort of celebrating the amnesia and making the recovering of his memories something of a long-term objective or something. You don't want that now, you'd rather have a new character, but in the event that you can't have one, I think this could be like the next best thing you could try.

Alternatively,
  • Alex is having fun when ...
  • SUDDENLY DARKRAI!
  • Alex is killed. X_X
  • Then Dr. Who shows up in his magical TARDIS!
  • And he uses his magical Time Lord magic magic magic to help Alex come back to life, sort of like a Time Lord does, only it's a one-time thing.
  • OH WOW NEW BODY NEW BEHAVIOR SAME "PERSON"!
Again, it's silly, and if that silliness bothers you, well there may be no helping that, but it's also the sort of thing that I'm hard pressed to see how you could be stopped. (And even more hard pressed to see why you should be stopped.) It basically lets you continue to be "Alex" *wink & nudge* while being a completely different person.

But anyway, all this evasive stuff is sort of silly, really. I think you should just ask. If the rules don't forbid it, then I'd say you're clear to just scrap your old character and be a new one while keeping all of your property (items & Pokémon and cash). If the rules do forbid it, then you should ask for the staff to please consider a rule change allowing one character wipe every 1-2 years. I can't imagine they'd say no to that. People change their minds about what they think is fun and cool and what isn't. And since RPing is meant to be fun, it'd be kind of cruel and unusual to shackle members to the mistakes made by their past selves with no reasonable recourse.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:39 PM   #87
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

I have completely retconned my character before. Did not kill the old one off or give an RP explanation for her disappearance, just replaced her with a new one. I say go for a fresh start if you want.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #88
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

This conversation felt more appropriate for RPing stuff and since it's possible it'll continue, I "moved" it here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairne View Post
Why would RPing a male Misdreavus be any different than RPing a female one?
Mostly because Misdreavus looks feminine (I mean, long hair and eyelashes, snazzy necklace... But that's my opinion on the matter, I give you that.) With that in mind, a male one could be RPed either as a "normal" male with no mention of his looks/species, one uncomfortable with his looks, or one that actually embraces his looks in one way or another. I have no idea how Kaisap's future ghost type will be, but I'm still curious on what she got in mind personality-wise

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #89
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkikuMew View Post
Mostly because Misdreavus looks feminine (I mean, long hair and eyelashes, snazzy necklace... But that's my opinion on the matter, I give you that.) With that in mind, a male one could be RPed either as a "normal" male with no mention of his looks/species, one uncomfortable with his looks, or one that actually embraces his looks in one way or another. I have no idea how Kaisap's future ghost type will be, but I'm still curious on what she got in mind personality-wise
Here's the thing... Sure, humans might feel this way about Misdreavus and Mismagius, but would other Pokemon have those misconceptions? I mean, for example, Gulpin looks like a giant blob. It is attracted, presumably, to other giant blobs. Its concept of femininity and attraction is going to be MASSIVELY different than, say, a Gardevoir's. Also, it is assumed, I think, that male and female Misdreavus can tell the genders of others in their species apart. I think that humans definitely perceive the male Misdreavus as being more feminine, but I think it's a judgment call as to whether the Misdreavus' peers would think that way, and how that would affect him.

I actually have experience RPing Male Misdreavus/Mismagius, myself; I created an NPC for MarbleZone's PI adventure named Ruby (short for Reuben) who is a male Mismagius in charge of a ghostly theater. He looks incredibly feminine, but his voice is not, and his mannerisms are not terribly gender-specific. Given Ruby's nickname, which he has wholeheartedly embraced, there's definitely the suggestion that his gender ambiguity is something that he revels in. He's a very confident creature. The other ghosts are actually in fear of him because of his reputation as a powerful, short-tempered spirit. The thing is, there's a long tradition in theater of males playing female roles. I think Ruby is acutely aware of that, and I think his attitude is, "It's not my problem that I look this way.. It's your problem that you make stupid assumptions." He doesn't give a damn WHAT people think of him... because he's the boss, and he runs this show, and if you mess with him, you're in big trouble. He's actually one of my favorite NPCs in PI.

After I created Ruby, I actually obtained a male Misdreavus of my own, whom I have named Spinel... There's the obvious Cardcaptor Sakura reference (Spinel Sun and Ruby Moon) but what's more important is that both Ruby and Spinel are gemstones that can be red. Spinel is a bit more devious and cunning where Ruby is more forthright and blunt. Spinel will actually play off of peoples' false assumptions regarding his gender, only to laugh hysterically when the ruse is discovered. Internally, though, I think he resents the fact that some Pokemon have called him a "freak" and a "weirdo", and it will take time for him to get over it. That said, I also have a male Ralts named Arthur who is due to evolve into Kirlia, so maybe they can work through that whole "feminine appearance" thing together...
Marion Ette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #90
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

*lazy to quote Marion*

I see your point related to the human vs. Pokemon perception of gender. I could argue that perhaps some Pokemon could actually have more or less the same perception as humans, either by being a human in a previous life (I thought you would've mention something like that XP) or, as you mentioned, Pokemon in general may hold a human-like perspective of gender when related to species other than its own and the subjected Pokemon are aware of it, but I guess this is more of a case on how one person interprets/sees their character, but in a twist can go back into the human perception, which I fell into, as we are humans after all... ^^;

Ruby and Spinel seems to fit in the "embracing" part of the thoughts I had, as in either a "I know but who cares" kind of way (Ruby) or a exploiting it to meet their own ends (Spinel). I had also in mind a Pokemon that would be extremely confident like Ruby, but also drag queen-style outrageous about it... which would be hilarious to apply that to a Pokemon and seeing it played out (too bad Jynx is female only... *shot repetitively*)

Old 09-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #91
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

I intentionally did not go the drag queen route with Ruby, because my feeling is that just because an individual happens to look feminine doesn't mean that they have to BE feminine. Ruby also doesn't have to be super-masculine to prove his point, either. He just is what he is, and that's that. I wanted to do a character with healthy perceptions of his identity because I feel like that seems to be rare in these instances and it really shouldn't be.

The other thing about creating a "drag queen" character with the intent of making him humorous is that sometimes there's a fine line between humor and degradation. I imagine you would be tasteful about it, but it's still something I would only do if I was certain that the character would not come across as offensive in the interpretation of a drag queen, and that others would not react offensively to the Pokemon in question.

Last edited by Marion Ette; 09-10-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Marion Ette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #92
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Hmm, seeing your points yet again

But yeah, the fine line between humor and degradation is a reason I don't want to RP such a character. Yeah it would be fun at first glance, but as much as I would do my best to keep it both realistic and tasteful, I don't want to depict such a character in a way that has a potential of hurting someone's feelings. RPing's fun only if it's fun for others too. I'm aware that I have the unfortunate "gift" of often saying/writing things in a "wrong" way without wanting to, so I prefer to dodge that chance ^^;

Old 09-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #93
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Well, latest actions in 'Dave attempts to use Remoraid in a desert' are up. Why did I think this was a good idea again?

As Radiohead put it: 'You do it to yourself (ba-dow-dow) and that's what really hurts'.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #94
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Well, with Shadow's latest batch of updates, look's like Kin's got a new friend! Grats dude!

Enjoy Egg House privileges you lucky git :p
Old 09-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #95
Charminions
Your reality is mine

Congrats, Kin, you may be one of the last few to get a Trapinch since they no longer hatch from Dragon eggs and people rarely hatch Ground Eggs (but that's out of topic, so yeah).

But to stay on topic, MZ's recent update for Dave's AR Adventure was a fun read. I look forward to see how all of this will build up in the eventual battle with the super Tyranitar.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #96
Gemini Spark
Weavile Pillow

Send a message via Skype™ to Gemini Spark
I think MZ's probably going to take a page from what Emp did with my Whale Island adventure and have it where one of his Pokemon controls an entire army of Pokemon, likely something similar to a horde battle.

Meanwhile, I have this Zangoose terrorizing the whole forest, and JJ is dealing with a psycho Gothita with an interesting twist on her trainer: she wants to die?

#inb4 flashback

Battlecut made by the crazy Daisy! *happy snek sounds*
Twitch | YouTube | Twitter | Wild Future
Gemini Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #97
MarbleZone
Soul Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini Spark View Post
I think MZ's probably going to take a page from what Emp did with my Whale Island adventure and have it where one of his Pokemon controls an entire army of Pokemon, likely something similar to a horde battle.
I try not to take pages from from anyone really, but with so many updaters and so many stories, I can't guarantee some parts won't sound familiar. An ideal updater would go through every adventure written recently to avoid repetition, but I just can't afford the time... Sorry if anything I write feels plagiarized, I guarantee it'll be unintentional. :/
Old 09-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #98
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

>MZ

I hadn't even thought of that plan, and even then I wouldn't have thought it was plagiarism or anything. Still pretty chuffed with the haul from that last update, so thanks a bunch!
Old 09-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #99
Toyo
hail

Just my luck that Marion opens the Gastly event mere moments after my keyboard borks itself. Hopefully I can fix this soon.

I am not writing an RP post with On-Screen Keyboard. 3:<
Toyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #100
Charminions
Your reality is mine

>The Gastly Trials

Okay, this looks awesome. Thank god the deadline to enter isn't until after my SATs, I can actually participate in one of these now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out