UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles

Old 09-17-2021, 05:36 PM   #26
grassyglide
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
grassy: Your digressional self reflection on ancient works comes to a close with you rooting yourself firmly into the present, resolving with Wisewoods to explore the rich history collected in the Department for yourself. Those pursuing history as an academic outlet often boast of the ability to bring the past to impressive detailed life, but rarely are they speaking literally. Having heard of the Archives and their potential to provide a viscerally tangible experience, you had found yourself inevitably drawn towards the near infinite possibilities. Moving throughout the towering bookcases, the splendid wooden giants flanking you on either side, you feel a mixture of awe and anticipation. In this imposing setting, where you stood as merely one among the millions, lay stories and tales of forgotten triumphs, defeats, collapses and births. So immediate you could physically reach out and seize one, and yet so far removed from your reality that it can seem almost overwhelming.

Finally, you find your quarry. Floating at the centre of an open area scattered with reading tables and comfortable chairs, a lone Sigilyph - the Archivist, Ria. However, her body language is distracted and visibly distressed, erratically shifting back and forth as if locked in a mental struggle imposed upon her physical being. As you slowly approach, you hear a voice ring out, resonating through the library with no discernible source.

"Human traveller. Normally I would be more than happy to receive you myself, but there are pressing matters to which I must attend. Unless your query is short, I may have to ask you be guided by one of my assistants."

A red flash blinds your eyes for the briefest of moments, but you quickly adjust, an Unown can be seen hovering by the side of the Sigilyph, ready and waiting to offer help if required.

Perhaps I shouldn't approach her, she does look busy, Argyle starts to second-guess the decision to reach out to the Archivist. The last thing he would ever want would be interrupting someone. What's the worst that can happen? She just says no and continues? Argyle's mind continues to debate as he and Wisewoods slowly and surely make their way over when you hear a voice.

"Human traveller. Normally I would be more than happy to receive you myself, but there are pressing matters to which I must attend. Unless your query is short, I may have to ask you be guided by one of my assistants."

"Well... we have our answer," Argyle says to Wisewoods, "Though I am slightly intrigued about what has the Archivist so busy, perhaps we could lend a hand? Though... if she'd wanted our help, she'd probably ask for it. Plus, what could we offer anyway? Besides, we have our own inquiries to make."

So, Argyle and Wisewoods switch their attention to the Unown.

Argyle proceeds to take a Pokeball out, bringing forth a Galarian Yamask. The Pokemon looks around innocently, taking in the library.

"I've recently befriended this Spirit Pokemon. The story of regular Yamask as told in the Pokedex does sound quite dramatic and sad. A restless spirit roaming the lands looking for someone who'd recognize their face..." Argyle starts and can't stop, "For Galarian Yamask, it says that a clay slab combined with a vengeful spirit for this Pokemon to come about. Though other entries say the slab itself was cursed and it feeds off the power of the Yamask..." (More digression on Argyle's part, anyway...) "Now, my Galarian Yamask does not act or look vengeful at all, though he might be longing to revisit the times he roamed the earth as a human and find some closure for his soul. Plus, we'd get to see what it was like way back then..."

Argyle pauses feeling like he's been rambling. (so he's noticed too.)

"I guess what I'm saying is, would you happen to have any books detailing from which age this Pokemon might be from? Granted I don't have a lot to give you in terms of clues, but perhaps the slab might be evidence of the bygone era in which he lived?"

As Argyle talks, he realizes how much of a seemingly insurmountable ask that is. How could they know from which era this Pokemon is from. Humanity has lived for ages, after all! But even if the books they look at don't really give insight into Argyle's own Pokemon, they'd have an adventure nevertheless, huh?

Last edited by grassyglide; 09-18-2021 at 07:14 PM.
grassyglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:09 PM   #27
ShadowDRGN
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion Ette View Post
What archive of our lands and people would be complete without the tragic, complicated and often disturbing tale of the one known as Minerva?

Born as Coselle Ette to parents who clearly had a rather twisted sense of naming conventions, also evidenced by her much younger half-sister, Marion Ette.

The story of Coselle's untimely death as a young adult – on October 21st, 1991 - is one for another time. For, you see, death in the story of Minerva is not the dramatic end of the sentence - just a single comma in a long, long run-on, seemingly without end.

With vengeance in her heart towards those who had wronged her, and a small child to protect, Coselle's spirit took the form of a Shuppet, who helped raise Marion and assist her in learning about the strange world of ghost-type Pokemon, all without revealing her true identity. Instead, she chose for herself the name of the Roman Goddess of wisdom, warfare, justice and arts... Minerva.

As Marion grew to young adulthood herself and Minerva willingly chose life as her beloved sister's starter Pokemon, the increasingly powerful Banette garnered quite the reputation as a morally ambiguous trickster, with quick wit and quicker temper. Often recounting tales of vicious torture and murder in a tone and demeanor that made it difficult to differentiate dark humor from bloody reality, complete with a strange, almost inhuman manner of employing human speech, it was never clear exactly how many deaths she was responsible for in her life-after-life. It all seemed one, big joke to her, regardless of whether not there was a kernel of truth to the things she said.

Over time, as other trainers got to know Marion and Minerva, that kernel would become more apparent. It is well-known, of course, that the most powerful tool in a Banette's arsenal is their ability to curse others. Minerva herself carried a needle, tip stained rust-brown with her own blood, indicating that it had been used in the past, and the wicked stain upon the needle from previous curses was never destined to wash away.

Recounting the days leading up to that fateful evening of October 31st, 2012, Marion would eagerly say that she thought of them as some of the happiest in her life. Meeting new friends, both trainers and Pokemon alike – getting involved in their stories, their struggles, their antics – watching romance bloom and enemies reconcile – it was a time of excitement and joy.

For Minerva, it was much more complicated. Within her troubled heart, feelings such as joy, excitement – and even love – were two sides of a frightful coin. Joy could always flip to sorrow. Excitement, to dread. And love...

Love was a coin that was flipping up in the air in those days, destined to land on one side or the other. For among the many friends that Marion and Minerva had made was one young man named Keith Golbatson Masters, and Minerva... well.

Much and more could be said about the circumstances that led up to that awful, damnable Halloween Incident, but in truth, the actions of Neville the Stunfisk, or Minerva's hatred of him, or Keith's attempt to abandon the offending creature, only to consider adopting him back again, much to Minerva's inconceivable ire at feeling betrayed – all of this was just window dressing. Red herrings. Excuses.

If you dig down to the center of it all – the reason, the real reason Minerva attempted to lay a horrible curse on Keith that Halloween night – was that the coin was still spinning in her heart, rapidly, and in her blind rage she could not tell the difference between love and hatred.

But at the last second, something went wrong. In attempting to restrain Minerva, it was Marion's arm that was struck with the needle. Thus began the terrible curse that would haunt them for years and years to follow.

As Marion recovered in the hospital, it became clear that Minerva had found some semblance of regained humanity, having accidentally stolen a piece of it from her sister. The truth of her secret heart, now all but impossible to conceal, was confessed against the backdrop of a garden of roses, and Minerva and Keith became lovers. In retrospect, it is quite easy to see how a human form directly resulting from a botched curse could lead to nothing but trouble... but when one is in love, all one sees is the moment.

Mind erasures. Human sacrifices. Increasingly implausible attempts at regaining more of her lost humanity. Arrests. Escapes.

From human, to Banette, and back again. Crossing the rainbow bridge, back and forth, so many times that Minerva – or Coselle, as she was often called in her various attempts at a human form – aught to have considered a commuter pass.

The coin spun like a tornado in her heart, perpetually, for the one called Keith.
Love. Hatred. Love. Hatred. Love hatred love hatred lovehatred lovehatred lovehatredlovehatred

stop

STOP

STOP

STOP

“Stop!”

Oroitz looks up in shock.

“I... I'm sorry. I know you asked me to read a bit for you, but I can only imagine how painful it-”

“Oroitz-” Minerva's eyes flash with intensity, before she takes a deep breath. “My friend. You don't need to apologize. Just...”

“Hm?” The Honchkrow tilts his head slightly, eager to make amends despite Minerva's assurance that he had done nothing wrong.

“Just... put the book back where you found it, okay? I would rather not hear any more.”

“As you wish.”

Back to the History section Oroitz flies, as Minerva finds herself inexplicably compelled to venture deeper into the library's archives.

Appearing fully human, yet bearing the name she chose as a Banette, the infamous protagonist knew that, if she could not even bear to hear the story of her life read back to her by a trusted friend, then she was likely not ready for what these tomes had in store for her...

And yet, in Minerva's mind, there was no turning back. After all, she knew the story continued from where Oroitz left off. Minerva was eventually presumed dead – and for good, this time. Keith had moved on – fallen in love, married another woman – had a daughter about a year ago that was somehow ten years old...? Something something Primal Dialga. No matter.

Ultimately, the wife... the daughter...

much to Minerva's inconceivable ire at feeling betrayed – betrayedbetrayedbetrayed
a l l o f t h i s w a s j u s t w i n d o w d r e s s i n g . RED
herrings. excuseSSSSs
iF yoU diggG downn TO THe cENtr of it ALL –
THE REASON
THE

REAL

REASON

There had to be a reason for all of this... and Minerva needed to know.
Wandering between the candlelit shelves with just her thoughts to occupy her, Minerva is faced with many forks along her path. Yet, even possessing no knowledge of these fathomless, labyrinthine halls, her intuition leads her down a path that never feels aimless.

Stacked to the ceiling at every turn are tomes that, for all their splendor, are caked in dust. Their titles come in all tongues, and of those that Minerva can read, she finds their subject lines wildly diverse; Some are straightforward; Some feature combinations of prefixes upon words so obtuse and academic that would make even an Alakazam's head spin.

All of it, presumably, was or will be important for somebody to see. Just as the infamous Trainer's messy pass was squared away in this place, the story of another could be but a turn of the page away from where her eyes wander now. Perhaps a window into Keith's life could be found here, as well?

Rounding the corner, Minerva's gaze is drawn toward a peculiar sight: Basking within a dust-choked sunbeam is a stone lectern about as ancient as the library itself. Carved out of the base is the likeness of something not human, or fully identifiable as a specific Pokemon. Perhaps a vain portrait of Hyun-Pa?

Standing before the lectern is a Pokemon that almost seems to blend into the surrounding shadows, were it not for the razor-sharp gleam of its blades. Tarius the Bisharp glances over its shoulder at Minerva and her Honchkrow, as though expecting them to arrive here, sooner or later. Its gaze is soul-piercing, full of taciturn wisdom and curiosity, yet completely devoid of caution. After all, the Silent Archivist has little to fear of Trainers. Not while the library's rules stand.

Tarius watches Minerva from afar, content to allow her continued perusal, but clearly used to expecting requests from their guests. With that look in their eye, perhaps they may already know what it is she seeks.

What will Minerva do?
ShadowDRGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:19 PM   #28
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDRGN View Post
Wandering between the candlelit shelves with just her thoughts to occupy her, Minerva is faced with many forks along her path. Yet, even possessing no knowledge of these fathomless, labyrinthine halls, her intuition leads her down a path that never feels aimless.

Stacked to the ceiling at every turn are tomes that, for all their splendor, are caked in dust. Their titles come in all tongues, and of those that Minerva can read, she finds their subject lines wildly diverse; Some are straightforward; Some feature combinations of prefixes upon words so obtuse and academic that would make even an Alakazam's head spin.

All of it, presumably, was or will be important for somebody to see. Just as the infamous Trainer's messy pass was squared away in this place, the story of another could be but a turn of the page away from where her eyes wander now. Perhaps a window into Keith's life could be found here, as well?

Rounding the corner, Minerva's gaze is drawn toward a peculiar sight: Basking within a dust-choked sunbeam is a stone lectern about as ancient as the library itself. Carved out of the base is the likeness of something not human, or fully identifiable as a specific Pokemon. Perhaps a vain portrait of Hyun-Pa?

Standing before the lectern is a Pokemon that almost seems to blend into the surrounding shadows, were it not for the razor-sharp gleam of its blades. Tarius the Bisharp glances over its shoulder at Minerva and her Honchkrow, as though expecting them to arrive here, sooner or later. Its gaze is soul-piercing, full of taciturn wisdom and curiosity, yet completely devoid of caution. After all, the Silent Archivist has little to fear of Trainers. Not while the library's rules stand.

Tarius watches Minerva from afar, content to allow her continued perusal, but clearly used to expecting requests from their guests. With that look in their eye, perhaps they may already know what it is she seeks.

What will Minerva do?
Splendor untranslatable. Grandeur beyond comprehension. The completely unbelievable - beautiful and beyond.

Minerva's eyes wander. Even the cracked and withered spines of volumes beyond her understanding, somehow, felt that they had a place - someone, somewhere, was meant to read each and every tome that had been collected here. A feeling of belonging that Minerva never knew.

The thought occurs to her, as she peruses, that if every story of this land is collected here... Surely, the illustrious history of Keith Golbatson Masters would be included, as well.

Minerva's eyes alight with curiosity, and Oroitz immediately bristles, as if instinctively sensing his friend's will.

"Minerva," Oroitz begins, trying to put words to the nebulous concern which has taken hold of him, "I trust you would not seek anything here that would undo your... your significant progress, your years of -"

Minerva waves her hand, as if brushing away all of those tears, all of that meditation, all of those hours spent talking, crying, working through her various traumas and tribulations, like they were naught but cobwebs.

"Let it be undone," Minerva retorts, her tone surprisingly harsh. "I've spent too long in the shadows of ignorance. I need the light."

"The shadows protect you," Oroitz warns. "They embrace you. You speak with such disdain, and yet-"

Minerva sighs, and places a gentle hand on Oroitz's head, stroking him with friendly affection. "I know... I know."

The matter was dropped, for the moment.

As the two silently advance, they encounter a particularly interesting sight - a lecturn, as aged and historic as the library itself. As the human and Honchkrow investigate, they realize that there is a figure carved in the base which defies description. Neither human, nor an immediately identifiable Pokemon, the possibility existed that the image was none other than the famous Hyun-pa who, despite his immense rage towards the corrupt and greedy among humanity, ultimately found it in his heart to forgive, and sealed himself away in repentance after a horrible act of pure rage.

There was something in that story that echoed in Minerva's soul - was it really fair for Hyun-pa to be forced to isolate himself in repentence, when he was only acting in response against the evils of humanity? Why is it the avengers who must serve these penances, and not those who call them to these acts in the first place? Was vengeance truly the sin others made it out to be?

These thoughts swirl around Minerva's mind as she and Oroitz approach Tarius the Bisharp, Archivist of the Department of Tongues and Philosophies. Both she and her Honchkrow bow to the Bisharp in an earnest display of respect.

"Good evening," Minerva says by way of greeting to the Bisharp, sensing that the silent archivist already knows far more about her than even that damnable history book would reveal - that they sense her desires far better than even she does, herself. "I may not look the type, but I'm actually quite the avid reader. I was wondering... if you had any recommendations?"

Oroitz takes a deep breath. His worried expression makes it clear that he fears no good will come of this particular research... and yet, he had not the words to keep the proverbial Eve from the Tree of Knowledge.

He takes another deep breath, and lets it go.

Whatever happens next... Well. Whatever happens, happens.

Last edited by Marion Ette; 09-19-2021 at 08:55 AM.
Marion Ette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 12:38 PM   #29
Lil'twick
Insanity

Send a message via Skype™ to Lil'twick
Missingno. Master-

On hearing the request, you notice Find prepare to use Fairy Wind, as a suggestion to help clean out dust. Though that does seem like a bad idea in and of itself, and Rapunzel also seems a bit wary of it. After all, you did see her empty a dustpan into the wind earlier. Seems that part was already handled.

"I've finished dusting today," she softly states, further adding to that answer. "Besides, any wind in here would mess up my hair... And it takes mother ages to comb it every morning!"

Once Rapunzel finishes her response, she walks over to the crates from earlier and opens the top one. She then sets down a pile of books and looks at the bookshelf. She carries them over and starts to put them away alphabetically, and then looks at you.

"So the top crate is new books mother got me, and I'd appreciate your help getting those put away. The crate to the left are non-perishable foods, and those need to be put away into the pantry, and the ones on the right is fabrics and textiles we need to find a spot for. If you could help me with them all, I'm sure I could find something from each of them to let you have," she states with a happier tone, putting books onto the shelves one by one.

A new challenge has started! Help Rapunzel sort through the crates and put the contents inside away. Have one Pokemon of your choice work on a specific crate, and use up to three moves to sort through the items and put them away in a timely fashion!

What do you do?

I fill my lungs with everything
You want someone that I can't be
You say it's insanity, but
I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles

Last edited by Lil'twick; 09-19-2021 at 01:15 PM.
Lil'twick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:01 PM   #30
Connor
Flashbacker

grassyglide: The Unown H listens in faintly unnerving silence as you begin to explain your query, its singular eye transfixed upon you. Every few moments they would make a motion as if to mimic a nod, punctuating their attentive presence. In the background you see Sigilyph flitting left and right, clearly preoccupied with the trouble at hand. You finally come to the end of your explanation, a little self-conscious at your perceived rambling nature. This seems to barely faze the Unown, who begins to glow with a familiar blue light. You wince as words once more become transmitted directly into your mind, though you acclimate much quicker this time.

"May I perform a quick appraisal? Doing so would aid me in providing you assistance."

The tone of voice is clear and gentle, warm but without any real hint of gender, and has a slight wavering uncertainty masked beneath. Despite this apparent awkwardness, Unown hovers forwards, eye trembling with psychic energy. The Symbol Pokemon works swiftly, their intensely focused gaze seeming to probe at every inch of Yamask, taking interest especially in the runic clay tablet the ghost has bonded to. After a brief investigation, Unown returns to their previous spot, eye shining bright with curiosity.

"I believe I have managed to correctly identify the era that the tablet originates from. There is no guarantee that your Yamask hais from the same period but... the possibility remains."

At this point Unown trails off, a distinctly heavier atmosphere coming across the Pokemon.

"However, the timeline is currently experiencing some... difficulties. It is that which consumes the attention of our Archivist. We could arrange a visit, though there may be somewhat less supervision than would normally be afforded. Of course, we would also welcome help, although I would warn you there will most likely be a clear and present danger to your wellbeing considering the circumstances."

As if to prompt you, the Unown tilts in your direction, a clear inquisitiveness awaiting your answer.
Old 09-19-2021, 05:38 PM   #31
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'twick View Post
Missingno. Master-

On hearing the request, you notice Find prepare to use Fairy Wind, as a suggestion to help clean out dust. Though that does seem like a bad idea in and of itself, and Rapunzel also seems a bit wary of it. After all, you did see her empty a dustpan into the wind earlier. Seems that part was already handled.

"I've finished dusting today," she softly states, further adding to that answer. "Besides, any wind in here would mess up my hair... And it takes mother ages to comb it every morning!"

Once Rapunzel finishes her response, she walks over to the crates from earlier and opens the top one. She then sets down a pile of books and looks at the bookshelf. She carries them over and starts to put them away alphabetically, and then looks at you.

"So the top crate is new books mother got me, and I'd appreciate your help getting those put away. The crate to the left are non-perishable foods, and those need to be put away into the pantry, and the ones on the right is fabrics and textiles we need to find a spot for. If you could help me with them all, I'm sure I could find something from each of them to let you have," she states with a happier tone, putting books onto the shelves one by one.

A new challenge has started! Help Rapunzel sort through the crates and put the contents inside away. Have one Pokemon of your choice work on a specific crate, and use up to three moves to sort through the items and put them away in a timely fashion!

What do you do?
The notion of Find helping to dust by using Fairy Wind... did not go over especially well. One, Rapunzel had already finished dusting. And while Terri and Find both did see Rapunzel emptying a dustpan into the wind, Find had reasoned that that might not necessarily mean Rapunzel had finished dusting. Was it not perfectly feasible that she might empty the thing out more than once in the dusting process? Well, either way, Rapunzel was also adverse to the idea of wind in the room, and Terri had to nod in agreement with this one- she didn't like getting her own hair messed up, and Rapunzel's was way longer! Find buzzed apologetically for not considering this.

With all of this established, Rapunzel then got into what she actually needed to still get done, this concerning the crates from earlier. One crate had a bunch of new books given to Rapunzel by her mother, that needed to be put away. On the left, a crate full of non-perishable foods that needed to go in the pantry, and on the right, fabrics and textiles they needed to find space for.

"Well, certainly, we can help with that," smiled Terri. "Find, what do you think?"

"...unfortunately, my diminutive stature means that any help I can provide is quite minimal," the Cutiefly lamented. "Unless, of course, I were to use Fairy Wind in some capacity, which, as we've established, is of course out of the question," she added with a respectful nod to Rapunzel."

"Naturally," Terri nodded in agreement. She looked at the crates for a moment, tilting her head slightly in consideration, and finally, she seemed to reach a decision. She reached into her bag and pulled out a Luxury Ball, a Moon Ball, and a Poké Ball, all three of which she threw into the air. "Want, Keep, Nuzzle, engage!" she declared. The Luxury Ball split open to reveal a Murkrow who stood on the floor, glancing around the unfamiliar room. The Moon Ball split open to reveal a Gothitelle, who said nothing, merely eyeing her surroundings with an unreadable expression. And from the regular Poké Ball emerged a Mimikyu, who looked up shyly at the unfamiliar person. Terri approached her Pokémon, smiling. "I'd like the three of you to help us straighten this place up, OK?" she asked.

"S-sure!" squeaked Nuzzle shyly.

"Of course, Honchkrow Terri," agreed Want. Keep said nothing, but nodded her agreement all the same.

"Good," smiled Terri. "Want, I think you can come over here with us and help organize these books. Keep, can you put the food away? And Nuzzle, Rapunzel here needs to find a good place to put all these fabrics and textiles."

Keep once again nodded. Since coming to Terri's team, she had developed a tendency to help Terri and Laugh out in the kitchen. She wasn't exactly what one would call a cook, though- she was more inclined to help retrieve and put away various ingredients, and so she figured this wouldn't be a difficult task for her. First, she turned to face the pantry, allowing herself a second to Calm her Mind, and scanned it with a good Miracle Eye, the intention being to get a feel for how Rapunzel organized it, the better to help her be able to put things away according to whatever system was in place. The Calm Mind would only help here, clearing Keep's mind of any distractions and allowing her to really focus on the task at hand. And lastly, of course, was Telekinesis, which she used to lift the various food items and place them where they were needed- obviously, her mental strength was far better here than her physical strength, so it only made sense that she used her mind to move these objects.

The Mimikyu's eyes sparkled at Terri's words.- not in the creepy flashing way you get out of a Mimikyu's eyes when it's attacking with its claws, but more in a happy way. Indeed, Terri had chosen Nuzzle for this task knowing it was a good fit for a Mimikyu. Finding a good location to store fabric- what could be a better choice for that than a Pokémon who spends its whole life cloaked beneath fabric, and therefore needs to constantly correctly care for it? As she noticed Keep using Miracle Eye, the Mimikyu capitalized on this opportunity, and used Mimic. Now with that helpful technique under her figurative belt, the Mimikyu followed up with the Miracle Eye move she had just temporarily acquired for herself- this time, of the whole room. This would help her get a feel for the area she was working with, make it easier to seek out any areas that might be better suited for storing the fabrics than others. And lastly... Nuzzle was short. There was no denying that. But this could absolutely be worked around, and so she planned to use her Splash attack to jump, get a better look at some of the higher-up areas, in case any of those might be ideal.

Want perched delicately on Terri's shoulder as she went to begin helping Rapunzel organize the books. Murkrow were intelligent by nature, so it took little more than a moment or two of observation for her to realize the intention was alphabetical order. First, a Telekinesis attack, to lift the books up and display them all at once. Or at least as many as possible, anyway. Either way, surely a better way than to just let them sit in the crate on top of one another, having to dig through them to see what was at the bottom. Psychic would then serve to let her take one and place it in the right spot on a shelf, and if she saw any out of order, a simple Trick would surely serve to switch them the right way around.

Find watched all this happen in relative silence. It still irked her somewhat that she couldn't be of any real help here, but she contented herself with the knowledge that Terri wasn't mistaking this for laziness of any sort. Perhaps later she would be able to help with something, she figured.

*As a result of reaching 30 Bond, Want learned Defensive Shield!*

*As a result of reaching 30 Bond, Want learned Shadow Shed!*

*As a result of reaching 30 Bond, Want learned Gastro Acid!*

Last edited by Missingno. Master; 09-19-2021 at 05:46 PM.
Missingno. Master is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:40 PM   #32
grassyglide
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
grassyglide: The Unown H listens in faintly unnerving silence as you begin to explain your query, its singular eye transfixed upon you. Every few moments they would make a motion as if to mimic a nod, punctuating their attentive presence. In the background you see Sigilyph flitting left and right, clearly preoccupied with the trouble at hand. You finally come to the end of your explanation, a little self-conscious at your perceived rambling nature. This seems to barely faze the Unown, who begins to glow with a familiar blue light. You wince as words once more become transmitted directly into your mind, though you acclimate much quicker this time.

"May I perform a quick appraisal? Doing so would aid me in providing you assistance."

The tone of voice is clear and gentle, warm but without any real hint of gender, and has a slight wavering uncertainty masked beneath. Despite this apparent awkwardness, Unown hovers forwards, eye trembling with psychic energy. The Symbol Pokemon works swiftly, their intensely focused gaze seeming to probe at every inch of Yamask, taking interest especially in the runic clay tablet the ghost has bonded to. After a brief investigation, Unown returns to their previous spot, eye shining bright with curiosity.

"I believe I have managed to correctly identify the era that the tablet originates from. There is no guarantee that your Yamask hais from the same period but... the possibility remains."

At this point Unown trails off, a distinctly heavier atmosphere coming across the Pokemon.

"However, the timeline is currently experiencing some... difficulties. It is that which consumes the attention of our Archivist. We could arrange a visit, though there may be somewhat less supervision than would normally be afforded. Of course, we would also welcome help, although I would warn you there will most likely be a clear and present danger to your wellbeing considering the circumstances."

As if to prompt you, the Unown tilts in your direction, a clear inquisitiveness awaiting your answer.

Argyle concludes his rather extended inquiry into the origins of his Galarian Yamask and awaits a response from the Unown. In contrast with Argyle's question, the Unown's response is a simple question: "May I perform a quick appraisal? Doing so would aid me in providing you assistance."

Argyle nods in response, agreeing that an appraisal would expedite figuring out from which era the rune is from.

Argyle observes as the H symbol intently analyzes Argyle's Pokemon. The Yamask, for his part, is calm where others might not be. After all that singular eye's gaze could be unnerving to some. Argyle shudders as he remembers the singular red eyes of the Trevenant and Dusknoir he, Wisewoods and Silver had to face in Remembrance Park. Oh yes, those singular eyes could be unnerving. Of course the nature of this eye's gaze and those of the Trevenant and Dusknoir's are completely different, context matters after all... Argyle attempts to follow the Unown's gaze, but of course he's not expecting to make any discoveries himself - he's previously looked over the Spirit and couldn't find anything, hence the trip to the magical library. However, he is hopeful that the Unown, who is an expert (at least to Argyle) in historical matters will get the desired results from his examination.

Right on cue, the Unown returns to their original position with the results:

Argyle nods excitedly having heard a positive response from the Unown. Of course, the Yamask's own soul might have lived on in another era. Argyle knows this too. Argyle had previously tried probing (via Wisewoods the Decidueye with whom Argyle could communicate in some telepathic? manner perhaps due to the bond between them or some latent telepathic abilities in the Grass/Ghost Owl or a combination of the two) the poor wandering spirit on whether he remembered much from the era, but the ghost had not given him anything distinctive. Though, perhaps by having the Yamask listen in on short summaries of the historic periods, they could awaken a latent memory or have him recall something he thought lost to the sands of time. Content at arriving at this suggestion, Argyle prepares to vocalize it to the Unown when the Unown picks back up from where they had trailed off:

Difficulties in the timeline? Like someone went back in time and changed too many things? Argyle thinks (but does not say for fear of looking like someone who only knows about time-travel through sci-fi movies). Argyle looks at Sigilyph again, still distressed. Then, he looks at his Pokemon. Poor Yamask, they'd come to this library to find and live the era in which the spirit wandered the earth in flesh, but with the Archivist clearly needing help and their own journey perilous anyway, it seems like they'd have to postpone that. For Argyle sees two options ahead of him: the first one being to help the Archivist and staff fix the timeline and then safely looking into Yamask's past; or the second one being to ignore the request for help and dive head-first into danger for potentially nothing (or does the thrill of adventure count for something?). Argyle's choice is clear to him as he's not one to say no to anyone requesting help, plus it's the safer way. Still Argyle sighs as he comes to the decision. Not for his sake, but for Yamask's sake (though does Argyle necessarily know what's best for the Spirit and what it's thinking?).

"Listen, buddy," Argyle starts to explain his choice to his Pokemon, "I know we were gonna get to the bottom of where you came from, but it looks like there's some trouble and they need our help. Once all that's cleared, we can safely peruse the archives and look at any book whose title catches your interest, not to mention the time period from which the slab is from."

The Ground/Ghost-type smiles genuinely at Argyle and responds in his own language. Argyle, promptly turns to Wisewoods for a translation.

He doesn't mind this, in fact he's fully supportive, Wisewoods relays. After a brief pause, If I may comment, it seems like our friend is perhaps more interested in the prospect of helping others than finding out his own past. The past is the past anyway and our friend has had many years to come to terms with time lost, so perhaps it's not as pressing a topic as you may think.

Argyle nods. There's a reason why Wisewoods is named Wisewoods after all... Still, one's past is still part of their story, so it should be recovered at one point, but perhaps it's not as pressing as the present. Anyway, it seems like ages since the Unown had asked what Argyle would want to do. Though they should've overheard Argyle's conversation with his Pokemon.

"We'll help you out in whatever way you think we'd be useful. We can continue our investigation on our own once the timeline is safer," Argyle finally responds.

Old 09-21-2021, 10:23 AM   #33
Lil'twick
Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3shift View Post
Lil'twick – As you take in your surroundings, you can't help but ask yourself a few questions. When was this story taking place? Why did the stagehands seem to care about you? Shouldn't that statue be covered in rust? And how did you seem to find yourself in a middle of a story despite specifically seeking out the department without stories? You were more than a little baffled by these, but that only seemed to pique your curiosity. Seeking answers, you bounded over to the plaque installed at the base of the fountain, its golden letters containing untold wisdom that promised you direction in this unfamiliar land.
It was quickly apparent that the statue at the top of the fountain depicted Meloetta—whether that name meant something to you was up to interpretation. Blessing "Aleatorica" with the "gift of music," however... that was something that you definitely hadn't heard of before. You take a moment to think about it before hearing a voice from your right.

"Interested in Meloetta, huh?"

One of the workers from earlier stands by your side—specifically the one that was being talked to, if you recalled correctly. His combed hair and dapper dress suit starkly contrasted with his rather calm and laid-back posture. "One of the stagehands told me about you. Said that you were playing your own music. I think you've got what it takes to assist us with something special that we're preparing for tonight's event," he says, gesturing towards the stage, which now held several rows of chairs facing its front. "It might be a bit of a long journey, but you look like a Trainer so it shouldn't be that hard. Are you able to help?" He looks at you expectantly.
Basil stared at the plaque intently, analyzing every word with scrutiny. Meloetta, a mythical Pokemon from the Unova region. Known for having two forms, a songstress dubbed "Aria" and a dancer with the moniker "Pirouette". It was able to change between this persona by use of its signature move, Relic Song. A song of the ancients, a lullaby so powerful that it could lull all but the most deranged insomniacs to sleep.

"So this place must be from an Unovan tale," Basil muttered to himself, looking at the name Aleatorica. He had never encountered the name in his studies but recognized the kind of music it referenced. With one such as him, who often marched to his own beat, it was common for his music to be referenced as aleatoric.

The tween's thoughts were then interrupted by a gentleman. He was one of the workers from earlier, even if his attire more spoke of a conductor than someone who'd build a stage. That dissonance amused him, and he gave the man a toothy grin while listening with intense, unblinking eyes. How wonderful would it be, compose something from that? But, this was just a story. There'd be no true lasting effect from that composition.

Once the man was done, Basil began to ponder on how he'd respond. This was meant to be a learning experience for him, pick up a few skills. Sure, a bard would never give up the chance to perform, but that was standard fare. What could a story do to make him feel special? Recognized? When this would be a transient tale. He could destroy the entire book and nothing would change in the end. Yet, this could be a way to easily relieve some stress.

"What do you think Staccato?" He looked at his baby Maractus, who was enraptured by the man's dapper appearance. It was rare for the cactus to see anyone this well dressed. "You wanna help?"

THe Maractus gives a nod in agreement.

"Okay then!" Basil booms. "We'll help, no problem-o. Whatcha need us to do? This bard has more than a few tricks up his sleeves."

I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Old 09-21-2021, 11:11 PM   #34
blu3shift
Cascade Badge

Lil'twick – "Mayor Branson of Sonata Village. Pleased," the man says, offering his hand. "We've been looking for Trainers who are interested in music to help us out but it's only been one or the other out here." The mayor seems relieved, his posture slightly arching from the rigid position that he'd been in a moment ago. He takes a breath and smiles.

"You're probably wondering why we're looking for people like you," he says, anticipating your confusion. "A few archaeologists from the next town over recently discovered that there's a score scattered amongst the three 'Grand Musicians' in the region around us that could summon Meloetta. We're very excited about this; the Melody Pokémon and its songs are very integral to our local culture and having the opportunity for it to appear during our symphony tonight would be great. That's where you come in; if you can reassemble the melody by this evening, we'll be able to play it tonight."

"Here," he says, offering you a map with a smile. "This should help you get around, since it looks like you're not from around here." It looks very reductive, obviously missing quite a bit of information that you might need, but it's definitely enough to keep you from getting lost.

MAP:
Spoiler: show

"You also might want these," he adds, handing you three Repels. "If you ever find yourself in trouble along the way, using this should help fend off attacking Pokémon. Of course, there's a Pokémon Center just down the street if you need to come back to heal up." The mayor points down the street that you approached the town square from a few minutes earlier, drawing your attention to a scarlet-roofed building on its right side. "I need to get back to helping the orchestra set up, though, so you'll have to be on your own for now. If you need any more help, you can always come by later to talk to me. I should be free in an hour or two."

The sun lazily hangs in the eastern sky, which meant that it was around morning time here—an invitation not to rush, although if you prefer to knock your task out quickly, then the option was definitely open.

What do you do next?

---

You got a map! If you get lost, looking at it should help point you in the right direction. You can also take notes on it if you feel the need to, although it won't affect your journey in any way.

You got Repel x3! You can use this if you feel that you're encountering too many Pokémon and want some breathing room. Be advised that if you use this then the rewards that you earn along the way might be of lesser value.

Last edited by blu3shift; 09-21-2021 at 11:19 PM. Reason: oops, forgot this
blu3shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 02:20 PM   #35
Lil'twick
Insanity

Quote:
Lil'twick – "Mayor Branson of Sonata Village. Pleased," the man says, offering his hand. "We've been looking for Trainers who are interested in music to help us out but it's only been one or the other out here." The mayor seems relieved, his posture slightly arching from the rigid position that he'd been in a moment ago. He takes a breath and smiles.

"You're probably wondering why we're looking for people like you," he says, anticipating your confusion. "A few archaeologists from the next town over recently discovered that there's a score scattered amongst the three 'Grand Musicians' in the region around us that could summon Meloetta. We're very excited about this; the Melody Pokémon and its songs are very integral to our local culture and having the opportunity for it to appear during our symphony tonight would be great. That's where you come in; if you can reassemble the melody by this evening, we'll be able to play it tonight."

"Here," he says, offering you a map with a smile. "This should help you get around, since it looks like you're not from around here." It looks very reductive, obviously missing quite a bit of information that you might need, but it's definitely enough to keep you from getting lost.

MAP:
Spoiler: show

"You also might want these," he adds, handing you three Repels. "If you ever find yourself in trouble along the way, using this should help fend off attacking Pokémon. Of course, there's a Pokémon Center just down the street if you need to come back to heal up." The mayor points down the street that you approached the town square from a few minutes earlier, drawing your attention to a scarlet-roofed building on its right side. "I need to get back to helping the orchestra set up, though, so you'll have to be on your own for now. If you need any more help, you can always come by later to talk to me. I should be free in an hour or two."

The sun lazily hangs in the eastern sky, which meant that it was around morning time here—an invitation not to rush, although if you prefer to knock your task out quickly, then the option was definitely open.

What do you do next?

---

You got a map! If you get lost, looking at it should help point you in the right direction. You can also take notes on it if you feel the need to, although it won't affect your journey in any way.

You got Repel x3! You can use this if you feel that you're encountering too many Pokémon and want some breathing room. Be advised that if you use this then the rewards that you earn along the way might be of lesser value.

Branson... Sonata Village... Basil blinked. He guessed Aleatorica was some remote story region of Unova. A fantasied version of the places around. Being handed the map, and having the ability to examine it, further proved that idea to the boy. He presumed that the time era of this story was about a century before. Highways existing pointed to the earliest signs of cars being a thing here... Something that Unova was quite well known for.

He shook his head. This man wanted him to go to three separate areas, find these scores, and then unite them into a singular piece by sunset? He sure hoped time moved at the pace of a glacier here since... Well, that didn't seem reasonable for a day. Then again... this was a story. And that, really, was enough to know he'd have time.

Basil thanked the mayor, pocketed the repels, and watched him head off to continue assisting with getting the festival set up. Guess it was up to him and Staccato to decide where they wanted to go first. Well, there was a lake, a forest, and a cave. Well, he presumed that the lake would be the best place to start first. Plenty of water types, and he could maybe find some nice reeds to make a pan flute. He needed a woodwind anyways, so that would be perfect.

"Alright Staccato, let's grab a bite to eat, a nice to-go drink, and then head off towards Sinewave Lake!" The trainer exclaimed, grabbing his Maractus by hand before running off towards the nearest shop.

I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Old 10-01-2021, 12:26 PM   #36
Lil'twick
Insanity

MM-

Rapunzel looks at you a bit confused. All she was hearing was buzzing noises from the small Cutiefly, instead of Find's words. Even in stories, most people don't understand the language of Pokemon. She shakes her head though, not wanting to question how you understand the Alolan bug.

Once she explains what needs to be put away, you quickly choose three Pokemon. Want the Murkrow, Keep the Gothitelle, and Nuzzle the Mimikyu. After quickly conversing with the three on the tasks they need to do, you give them their orders.

Keep walks over to the food crate, she calms her mind and analyzes the content. Salt, sugar, flour, and a variety of spices. All of this was dry goods, meant to last in a pantry and keep for months. It was also one of the best ways to make foods such as loaves of bread and pastries to sustain them. From the looks of it, there wasn't refrigeration here. After all, it was a relatively modern concept.

With her analysis done, she uses a Miracle Eye. With her enhanced vision, she's able to look through the pantry and find empty spots on the shelves. From the looks of it, the bottom shelf was for giant bags of long-lasting goods. Bags of brown sugar and rice (which seemed that Rapunzel's mother had foreign connections) were lined up, with large gaps in between. The Gothitelle begins to use her Telekinesis to lift the flour, sugar, and salt bags onto the shelf.

AS for the spices, she scours the pantry and does not find a place for them. It seems that they were stored elsewhere in the tower's kitchen. She scanned the room but doesn't find a place where spices are. Perhaps they completely ran out? Best to ask Rapunzel.

Next up was Nuzzle, who immediately dove into the fabrics crate. There was all sort of variety of textiles and fabrics within, surely to make clothing, blankets, and a variety of other goods. She then pops up and sees Keep use her Miracle Eye at that moment. The Mimikyu mimics the attack, temporarily learning it for herself. She then splashes up, trying to use the height and enhanced vision to find a suitable spot.

She then finds a sewing kit on a small bed table next to Rapunzel's bed. There were drawers there, presumably to store those textiles. Looks like that was to place to store them, so the Mimikyu began her journey of caring for the fabrics and textiles too and fro. Though, she soon fills up the drawers and sees some fabrics leftover. She needed to find an additional place to store them.

Last was Want, the Murkrow using you as a perch as you helped Rapunzel organize the books. The three of you began to carry the books over to the bookshelf, and once they were done Want steps in. Using his Telekinesis, the bird lifts all the books to allow the two of you to easily put them away. The crow also assists, using Psychic to put them away with Rapunzel's guidance. Though, every so often Rapunzel points out some books that were in the wrong place, allowing Want to easily use Trick to swap them. With your trio's teamwork, the books were all successfully put away.

Congratulations, Want has gained a Level!

Now it seems you need to assist Keep and Nuzzle.

What do you?

I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Old 10-01-2021, 03:21 PM   #37
ShadowDRGN
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion Ette View Post
Splendor untranslatable. Grandeur beyond comprehension. The completely unbelievable - beautiful and beyond.

Minerva's eyes wander. Even the cracked and withered spines of volumes beyond her understanding, somehow, felt that they had a place - someone, somewhere, was meant to read each and every tome that had been collected here. A feeling of belonging that Minerva never knew.

The thought occurs to her, as she peruses, that if every story of this land is collected here... Surely, the illustrious history of Keith Golbatson Masters would be included, as well.

Minerva's eyes alight with curiosity, and Oroitz immediately bristles, as if instinctively sensing his friend's will.

"Minerva," Oroitz begins, trying to put words to the nebulous concern which has taken hold of him, "I trust you would not seek anything here that would undo your... your significant progress, your years of -"

Minerva waves her hand, as if brushing away all of those tears, all of that meditation, all of those hours spent talking, crying, working through her various traumas and tribulations, like they were naught but cobwebs.

"Let it be undone," Minerva retorts, her tone surprisingly harsh. "I've spent too long in the shadows of ignorance. I need the light."

"The shadows protect you," Oroitz warns. "They embrace you. You speak with such disdain, and yet-"

Minerva sighs, and places a gentle hand on Oroitz's head, stroking him with friendly affection. "I know... I know."

The matter was dropped, for the moment.

As the two silently advance, they encounter a particularly interesting sight - a lecturn, as aged and historic as the library itself. As the human and Honchkrow investigate, they realize that there is a figure carved in the base which defies description. Neither human, nor an immediately identifiable Pokemon, the possibility existed that the image was none other than the famous Hyun-pa who, despite his immense rage towards the corrupt and greedy among humanity, ultimately found it in his heart to forgive, and sealed himself away in repentance after a horrible act of pure rage.

There was something in that story that echoed in Minerva's soul - was it really fair for Hyun-pa to be forced to isolate himself in repentence, when he was only acting in response against the evils of humanity? Why is it the avengers who must serve these penances, and not those who call them to these acts in the first place? Was vengeance truly the sin others made it out to be?

These thoughts swirl around Minerva's mind as she and Oroitz approach Tarius the Bisharp, Archivist of the Department of Tongues and Philosophies. Both she and her Honchkrow bow to the Bisharp in an earnest display of respect.

"Good evening," Minerva says by way of greeting to the Bisharp, sensing that the silent archivist already knows far more about her than even that damnable history book would reveal - that they sense her desires far better than even she does, herself. "I may not look the type, but I'm actually quite the avid reader. I was wondering... if you had any recommendations?"

Oroitz takes a deep breath. His worried expression makes it clear that he fears no good will come of this particular research... and yet, he had not the words to keep the proverbial Eve from the Tree of Knowledge.

He takes another deep breath, and lets it go.

Whatever happens next... Well. Whatever happens, happens.
Recommendations... Recommendations...

Pondering her request, Tarius pivots stiffly upon its heels. The smudged outline of its glossy armor dissolves into shadow as it shuns the lectern, choosing now to face the vast, twilit shelves for an answer.

Slowly, the Pokemon marches through the halls, keeping perfect rhythm between the beat of its steps. Even as it attempts to lead Minerva, she ends up losing sight of it several times, finding it again thanks only to the subtle song of its blades, which are honed to so fine an edge as to slice through the air with even the simplest of movements.

Its soldiering demeanor conjures wonders about its nature, and purpose: Any number of Pokemon would be suited to library work just as well, or even better, so why Bisharp?

Passing to their right: A shelf awash with martial treatises catches the eye. Their well-worn spines dull the ornate façade that hides contemplations about mankind’s most gruesome pastime. The art and philosophies, tragedies and comedies of war. How you can apply the cruel, calculating machinations of bloody conquest to your life.

Tarius stops at the next shelf over. Their eyes fall upon the insurmountable cliff of books for but a moment before they’ve found what they... or rather, what she’s looking for. Grabbing a stereotypical rolling ladder, the Bisharp adjusts it with surgical precision before ascending several stories-worth to extract their quarry.

Minerva catches glimpses of a thick-paged tome tucked under Tarius’ arm as the Pokemon climbs down, but only once the book is relinquished to her does she see the cover: A pastel-hued illustration depicting in simple, but vivid detail a towering treehouse standing deep within the forest. Its branches are draped in windswept curtains of white silk, giving the drawing an ethereal aura that seems to glow brighter than candlelight.

The title reads in big, easy-to-read letters along the top and spine:

“The Lady of Weaving Wood”

Confident in its recommendation, Tarius swiftly bows to her and marches past, appearing keen on leading her back to the sunlit lectern. That which holds the library’s most mysterious feature...

By now, even just holding the book invokes a perplexing sense of nostalgia, like a yearning for simpler, more innocent times. A strange feeling, for a story she has no knowledge of. Will she follow this pulling on her heart, and take it to the pedestal, or will she explore the vastness of the library on her own for something else?
ShadowDRGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 08:34 AM   #38
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

Make your choice, adventurous Stranger, strike the bell and bide the danger -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDRGN View Post
Recommendations... Recommendations...

Pondering her request, Tarius pivots stiffly upon its heels. The smudged outline of its glossy armor dissolves into shadow as it shuns the lectern, choosing now to face the vast, twilit shelves for an answer.

Slowly, the Pokemon marches through the halls, keeping perfect rhythm between the beat of its steps. Even as it attempts to lead Minerva, she ends up losing sight of it several times, finding it again thanks only to the subtle song of its blades, which are honed to so fine an edge as to slice through the air with even the simplest of movements.

Its soldiering demeanor conjures wonders about its nature, and purpose: Any number of Pokemon would be suited to library work just as well, or even better, so why Bisharp?

Passing to their right: A shelf awash with martial treatises catches the eye. Their well-worn spines dull the ornate façade that hides contemplations about mankind’s most gruesome pastime. The art and philosophies, tragedies and comedies of war. How you can apply the cruel, calculating machinations of bloody conquest to your life.

Tarius stops at the next shelf over. Their eyes fall upon the insurmountable cliff of books for but a moment before they’ve found what they... or rather, what she’s looking for. Grabbing a stereotypical rolling ladder, the Bisharp adjusts it with surgical precision before ascending several stories-worth to extract their quarry.

Minerva catches glimpses of a thick-paged tome tucked under Tarius’ arm as the Pokemon climbs down, but only once the book is relinquished to her does she see the cover: A pastel-hued illustration depicting in simple, but vivid detail a towering treehouse standing deep within the forest. Its branches are draped in windswept curtains of white silk, giving the drawing an ethereal aura that seems to glow brighter than candlelight.

The title reads in big, easy-to-read letters along the top and spine:

“The Lady of Weaving Wood”

Confident in its recommendation, Tarius swiftly bows to her and marches past, appearing keen on leading her back to the sunlit lectern. That which holds the library’s most mysterious feature...

By now, even just holding the book invokes a perplexing sense of nostalgia, like a yearning for simpler, more innocent times. A strange feeling, for a story she has no knowledge of. Will she follow this pulling on her heart, and take it to the pedestal, or will she explore the vastness of the library on her own for something else?
As Tarius seeks just the right tome to fulfill Minerva's request, the white-haired woman cannot help but sense the more militaristic aspects of this section of the archives, and of the silent archivist themselves - the rhythmic marching, the finely-honed blades, the body clad in armor and darkness. As Minerva struggles to keep up with the Bisharp, she cannot help but wonder at the Sword Blade Pokemon's purpose here, in the Department of Tongues and Philosophies... Were they really just looking for the perfect book, or were they somehow on a mission to extract one of their own from behind enemy lines?

As the trio pass a shelf of martial treatises, both Minerva and Oroitz take note of its contents, but Oroitz in particular -

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles," he remarks, scanning the shelves. "Arceus, how many decorated generals and infamous warlords do you think may have walked this path, with that very line in their heads? On the whole, do you think, does such knowledge tend to ultimately spare lives in defense of what is held most dear... or spill more blood in the pursuit of glory?"

"Ours is not the Art of War," Minerva counters.

"Oh, but I would not be so sure," Oroitz muses. "Your very mind is a battleground, and you have been fighting for a very long time... But the supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting, my dear." He pauses. "Perhaps there is some merit to this journey..."

"Well, if we're going to keep quoting Sun Tzu, let's make it clear that he also said that a kingdom that has once been destroyed can never come again into being; nor can the dead ever be brought back to life." Minerva's eyes gleam meaningfully. "Fizzytopia has risen from the ashes more than once... as have I."

Oroitz ponders this - both Minerva's point, and the fact that she had apparently read Sun Tzu's seminal work without the Honchkrow being aware of it - but he says nothing in response, as his eyes are focused on the Archivist. Their target had been sighted, and indeed, the soldier-like Pokemon performed the rescue mission with dutiful precision and finesse.

Minerva is at once enamored and intrigued with the book that Tarius has chosen for her - the illustration struck her as reminiscent of Marion's old Tree Cottage, where she and Minerva used to live with Marion's team of spooky and eccentric Pokemon. The pull of nostalgia - for simpler, happier times - it drew Minerva with an irresistible pull, though this story was completely unknown to her, as far as she knew. The glowing aura of the illustration filled Minerva's eyes and heart with an odd sort of warmth.

"The Lady of the Weaving Wood..." Minerva softly speaks the title as she reads it. Following Tarius to the lecturn, she brings it to the pedestal without thought or hesitation. In her heart, she knew this was the right book, and that was sufficient for her to embark on this tale.

Oroitz takes his place on her shoulder, deferring to his friend's judgment, with no small amount of curiosity as to where this story might take them.
Marion Ette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 01:33 AM   #39
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
MM-

Rapunzel looks at you a bit confused. All she was hearing was buzzing noises from the small Cutiefly, instead of Find's words. Even in stories, most people don't understand the language of Pokemon. She shakes her head though, not wanting to question how you understand the Alolan bug.

Once she explains what needs to be put away, you quickly choose three Pokemon. Want the Murkrow, Keep the Gothitelle, and Nuzzle the Mimikyu. After quickly conversing with the three on the tasks they need to do, you give them their orders.

Keep walks over to the food crate, she calms her mind and analyzes the content. Salt, sugar, flour, and a variety of spices. All of this was dry goods, meant to last in a pantry and keep for months. It was also one of the best ways to make foods such as loaves of bread and pastries to sustain them. From the looks of it, there wasn't refrigeration here. After all, it was a relatively modern concept.

With her analysis done, she uses a Miracle Eye. With her enhanced vision, she's able to look through the pantry and find empty spots on the shelves. From the looks of it, the bottom shelf was for giant bags of long-lasting goods. Bags of brown sugar and rice (which seemed that Rapunzel's mother had foreign connections) were lined up, with large gaps in between. The Gothitelle begins to use her Telekinesis to lift the flour, sugar, and salt bags onto the shelf.

AS for the spices, she scours the pantry and does not find a place for them. It seems that they were stored elsewhere in the tower's kitchen. She scanned the room but doesn't find a place where spices are. Perhaps they completely ran out? Best to ask Rapunzel.

Next up was Nuzzle, who immediately dove into the fabrics crate. There was all sort of variety of textiles and fabrics within, surely to make clothing, blankets, and a variety of other goods. She then pops up and sees Keep use her Miracle Eye at that moment. The Mimikyu mimics the attack, temporarily learning it for herself. She then splashes up, trying to use the height and enhanced vision to find a suitable spot.

She then finds a sewing kit on a small bed table next to Rapunzel's bed. There were drawers there, presumably to store those textiles. Looks like that was to place to store them, so the Mimikyu began her journey of caring for the fabrics and textiles too and fro. Though, she soon fills up the drawers and sees some fabrics leftover. She needed to find an additional place to store them.

Last was Want, the Murkrow using you as a perch as you helped Rapunzel organize the books. The three of you began to carry the books over to the bookshelf, and once they were done Want steps in. Using his Telekinesis, the bird lifts all the books to allow the two of you to easily put them away. The crow also assists, using Psychic to put them away with Rapunzel's guidance. Though, every so often Rapunzel points out some books that were in the wrong place, allowing Want to easily use Trick to swap them. With your trio's teamwork, the books were all successfully put away.

Congratulations, Want has gained a Level!

Now it seems you need to assist Keep and Nuzzle.

What do you?
Terri was a truly mysterious person, with much about her that many who knew her well didn't know, to say nothing of those who'd only just met her. Even in this world built around a work of fiction, her understanding of Pokémon language was unexpected. Rapunzel, however curious she might have been, did not question this talent, and instead simply explained what needed to be done. Terri chose her Pokémon accordingly, and along with her Murkrow, helped Rapunzel to sort and organize her books. A very involved process, and the Murkrow's help was immensely appreciated. With all that in mind, it would've been all too easy for Want to fuck things up on the merest of whims. Such were the thoughts that occurred to such a seasoned Prankster as this went on, but she resisted such urges, and resisted them well. Her skills were being put to good use here, after all, and she knew good and well that Terri would frown upon any nonsense here. Nope, nope, Want was not about to cross Terri- the Darkness Pokémon had far too much respect for her Trainer, her Honchkrow, than that.

"...aaand, there, that should do it," Terri smiled, as the last of the books were put away. "Thank you, Want- you were a tremendous help," she added.

"You're welcome, Honchkrow Terri," responded Want, sounding quite pleased with herself. That form of address in and of itself was proof positive of Want's respect for her Trainer- for a Murkrow to use "Honchkrow" as a form of respectful address did indeed indicate deep and sincere respect

"Now, let's see... Keep, how are you doing?" Terri asked. As she got up and approached the Gothitelle, however, she could see Keep shaking her head. She was still using Telekinesis, levitating the various spices all around her while she gestured to the clearly full pantry and shrugged helplessly. Terri got the picture after a few seconds of this, and nodded. "I'll ask, don't worry," she said, before walking back over to Rapunzel. "Rapunzel, where do the spices go?" she asked. "Keep can't seem to find a place for them. It seems as though she's gotten the rest of the food put away quite nicely, though," she added
Meanwhile, Find flew over to Nuzzle, who had started awkwardly glancing back and forth between a number of extra fabrics, and what looked to be a number of completely filled drawers. "What's the matter?" the Cutiefly asked.

"O-oh, um... th-the drawers here, they're clearly where th-these fabrics are supposed to- to go," mumbled Nuzzle. "B-but, um, I... I already filled them up with the rest of- of the fabrics," she added. "I... I don't know where else to p-put them..." she murmured shyly.

"Now, that's not a problem," Find buzzed kindly. "I'll help you look, we'll see if we can find anything together, and if all else fails, we'll ask Terri to consult Rapunzel."

"...ooh-oh, thank you," Nuzzle responded, feeling slightly less awkward about the situation already. With Find now on the case as well, the two of them resumed the search.

*Want grew to level 18!*
Old 10-04-2021, 11:10 AM   #40
Lil'twick
Insanity

MM-

With your Murkrow's task done, you make your way over to your Gothitelle. From the looks of it, she was certainly perplexed by where the spices needed to go. The pantry was full, after all, and her sight couldn't discern where to place them. With the information at hand, you decide to ask the girl in the tower where to place them.

"Oh, well usually we place these in the cupboard," she states, walking over to a small cabinet hanging next to the primeval oven.

You see her open the cupboard, and see her tilt her head. From what you could see, it was absolutely stacked filled with cups, mugs, and spices already. Did they just over shop, or was there another reason for these spices? You watch Rapunzel bounce over to you and Keep, inspecting the spices that were lifted up with Telekinesis.

"Wait... No these aren't spices," she states, looking through the myriad powders and loose leaves. There were about four bags total, two filled with leaves and two filled with ground, brown powder.

"Ah! These are drink mixes. Something mother got from a foreign merchant years ago," she trails off, before grabbing the bags. "This brown powder is... coffee I believe, while the leaves are tea... I don't like the drinks myself, too bitter for my taste, but mother loves them. Says the coffee wakes her up and the tea soothes her at night."

You then see Rapunzel grab the bags, and place them next to the stove on top of the counter top.

"Mother has told me that anything that's hers to just put it on the counter, and she'll take it to her room when she gets back!" The girl excliams, before noticing something else. Need was still levitating an item.

"Oh, how did I not notice this..." she trails as she grabs a bag f green powder. "A bag of healing powder. We're pretty stocked up on medicines right now, so if you want it, you can take it," she tells you, before heading over to the cratees.

You have obtained a bag of Heal Powder!

Meanwhile, Find and Nuzzle were busy tying to figure out where the extra textiles would go. You look up towards them once Keep was done, and see that they had managed to put away most of the extras in little cubbyholes hidden in Rapunzel's open room. The two of them head back down, a stool of pink ribbon hanging onto Find's hands. Looks like that couldn't have found a place even if they tried.

Setting the ribbon down, you then see a flash of blonde as Rapunzel rushes to pick it up. Before you could even ask, she was already running up the stairs, hair trailing behind her. She then was descending them before your eyes, sewing kit in hand. She then sat herself in a chain next to the fire place, and went to work.

You saw her snip pieces of ribbon ant a specific length without measurement, certainly a great skill in of of herself. She then began to tied them together, and pin them together, as Pink Bows. She made a lot, presumably for her own hair, and then realized she still had extra ribbon.

"Oh, Terri, would you like your hair done in bows too? I can make some for you and I think I'll have enough for one of your Pokemon," she states, looking over your team.

How do you respond?

I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Old 10-04-2021, 06:14 PM   #41
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
MM-

With your Murkrow's task done, you make your way over to your Gothitelle. From the looks of it, she was certainly perplexed by where the spices needed to go. The pantry was full, after all, and her sight couldn't discern where to place them. With the information at hand, you decide to ask the girl in the tower where to place them.

"Oh, well usually we place these in the cupboard," she states, walking over to a small cabinet hanging next to the primeval oven.

You see her open the cupboard, and see her tilt her head. From what you could see, it was absolutely stacked filled with cups, mugs, and spices already. Did they just over shop, or was there another reason for these spices? You watch Rapunzel bounce over to you and Keep, inspecting the spices that were lifted up with Telekinesis.

"Wait... No these aren't spices," she states, looking through the myriad powders and loose leaves. There were about four bags total, two filled with leaves and two filled with ground, brown powder.

"Ah! These are drink mixes. Something mother got from a foreign merchant years ago," she trails off, before grabbing the bags. "This brown powder is... coffee I believe, while the leaves are tea... I don't like the drinks myself, too bitter for my taste, but mother loves them. Says the coffee wakes her up and the tea soothes her at night."

You then see Rapunzel grab the bags, and place them next to the stove on top of the counter top.

"Mother has told me that anything that's hers to just put it on the counter, and she'll take it to her room when she gets back!" The girl excliams, before noticing something else. Need was still levitating an item.

"Oh, how did I not notice this..." she trails as she grabs a bag f green powder. "A bag of healing powder. We're pretty stocked up on medicines right now, so if you want it, you can take it," she tells you, before heading over to the cratees.

You have obtained a bag of Heal Powder!

Meanwhile, Find and Nuzzle were busy tying to figure out where the extra textiles would go. You look up towards them once Keep was done, and see that they had managed to put away most of the extras in little cubbyholes hidden in Rapunzel's open room. The two of them head back down, a stool of pink ribbon hanging onto Find's hands. Looks like that couldn't have found a place even if they tried.

Setting the ribbon down, you then see a flash of blonde as Rapunzel rushes to pick it up. Before you could even ask, she was already running up the stairs, hair trailing behind her. She then was descending them before your eyes, sewing kit in hand. She then sat herself in a chain next to the fire place, and went to work.

You saw her snip pieces of ribbon ant a specific length without measurement, certainly a great skill in of of herself. She then began to tied them together, and pin them together, as Pink Bows. She made a lot, presumably for her own hair, and then realized she still had extra ribbon.

"Oh, Terri, would you like your hair done in bows too? I can make some for you and I think I'll have enough for one of your Pokemon," she states, looking over your team.

How do you respond?
Rapunzel, as Terri had anticipated, had the answer at the ready- spices usually went in the cupboard. What Terri had not anticipated, however, was that when Rapunzel opened the cupboard in question, it was already full. Well, no wonder Keep hadn't been able to find anywhere to stow these spices- there wasn't room for them!

Rapunzel, however, was not finished. She inspected some of the spices Keep had been levitating via Telekinesis, and realized that they weren't spices at all, but rather drink mixes. Coffee and tea- neither of which Rapunzel particularly enjoyed, but her mother seemed to love them. With that settled, Rapunzel took the bags and merely put them on the counter, stating that anything that was for her mother was to go there so that she could easily grab it and take it to her room upon her return. Alright, sure, made sense. However, she hadn't taken all the items from Keep, and was able to notice that the remaining item was neither spice nor drink mix, but rather a bag of Heal Powder, which she gave Terri permission to take. "Thank you," Terri smiled. Her Gothitelle took this as her cue to set said bag down in the young Trainer's hand, and Terri stowed it carefully away in her bag.

Following this, Terri saw her Cutiefly and Mimikyu heading back downstairs. The two of them seemed to have been able to put almost everything away somewhere, but Find was still carrying a spool of pink ribbon. Try as they might, the pair of Fairy-types simply hadn't been able to find room for that anywhere.

Far from being disappointed by this, however, Rapunzel was quick to pick up the ribbon as it was set down, and even quicker to run off with it. Terri and her Pokémon had barely enough time to exchange bewildered looks before Rapunzel came rushing back down, now with a sewing kit. They watched with curiosity as Rapunzel began to cut pieces of ribbon, at specific lengths and without measuring them out beforehand- very clearly, this was not her first time. Terri and Nuzzle were especially awed by this talent- Nuzzle, being a Mimikyu, had done more than her fair share of Disguise repair, and Terri, always one to be involved with helping out her Pokémon, had taught herself a bit about sewing in order to be able to help with this. Rapunzel was making quick work of the ribbon, turning them into Pink Bows, presumably to go in her hair. And no sooner had Terri thought to herself that that would be a nice look did Rapunzel speak up, asking Terri if she'd like her own hair done in bows as well. She even offered to make another bow for one of her Pokémon, seeming confident she'd have enough left over. "Oh, thank you, yes, I like that idea," Terri smiled. "And I'm sure any one of my Pokémon would love to wear one of these, too."

"Pass," cawed Want, the Murkrow seeming somewhat uninterested.

"...OK, almost any of them," Terri amended.

"I think the look would quite suit me," Find buzzed.

"Um... I mean, if it wouldn't be t-too much trouble," Nuzzle murmured shyly. Even Keep gave a small smile and nod.

"Well, don't forget, guys, it'll only be one, so you'll have to share," Terri said. With that, the Gothitelle, Mimikyu, and Cutiefly huddled together to converse (with Keep's communication consisting primarily of hand gestures). After a few seconds of this, they came apart, and Find flew forward, hovering next to Terri, with it having been unanimously agreed that the leftover Pink Bow would go to the Cutiefly first.

*Obtained the Heal Powder!*

Last edited by Missingno. Master; 10-05-2021 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:21 AM   #42
Lil'twick
Insanity

MM-

"Great!" the girl exclaimed, clapping her hands together before beginning her swift work.

You watch her swiftly make two more pink bows, her sewing skills impeccable. Ribbon perfectly measured, tied at just the right place with what looked to be an immovable knot. They were small, enough to be seen when worn but not enough to get in the way. She holds them up, seeming to use you as a reference from the distance. She then nods, seeming satisfied with what she made. Then, with the last piece of ribbon available, she makes one more.

She then takes the three bows and walks over to Find first.

"This is for you, little one," she states, using a little bit of pink string from her pocket to thread through a space in the knot. She then ties it around the bug's neck, before adjusting it to make sure it is snug.

Congratulations, you have gotten a Pink Bow!

She then walks back over to you and looks over your long, black hair. She takes a strand of hair and runs her fingers through it. Seeming to examine the texture, oiliness, and strength of the hair. She then puts the strand down and walks around you for a bit. For someone who was sheltered, she had a surprising eye for details. Though, it made sense considering how orderly the place was.

"Alright, I think this is what I'll do," she states before grabbing the two bows.

She nestles the first one above your right ear, tieing into the hair without messing up the structure. She proceeds to do the same action on your left side and looks happy with her work. She goes to grab a hand mirror for you to look at, and then you hear a voice shout up.

"Oh, Rapunzel! Let Mother in please!" you hear a low, haughty voice. The one of a mature woman, who's been wisened through the years.

"Oh, I need to let Mother in!" she exclaims in a hurry and shoves the mirror into your hand.

You then see the girl let her hair down the tower, and after a few minutes, you see an older woman climb into the window. She had dark brown hair and light green eyes. Her completion was surprisingly young and fresh for an older mother, and she looks a little shocked when seeing you.

"Rapunzel dearest, who is this?" she asks, looking at you with worry.

"Oh, uh, this is Terri. I know you don't want people up here, but she helped put things away. Please mother, at least allow me to have a friend?" she pleads, her loneliness obvious.

"Well... She won't steal you away, I hope. You know how dangerous I've told you about the outside world," her mother states with worry. "Still, if she did help, then she can be a guest for dinner. Pleased to meet you, Terri, my name is Gothel."

The woman then asks her daughter to sit down, which the girl does willingly. You see her mother begin to brush the girl's hair and add in the bows one by one until a beautiful, bunched ribbon braid beginning to form.

"Please, feel free to read a book or look around. This will take at least an hour," you hear her mother say to you. "As long as you don't go into my room, do as you wish."

You had some time to kill, then. What do you do?

I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Old 10-06-2021, 02:58 PM   #43
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
MM-

"Great!" the girl exclaimed, clapping her hands together before beginning her swift work.

You watch her swiftly make two more pink bows, her sewing skills impeccable. Ribbon perfectly measured, tied at just the right place with what looked to be an immovable knot. They were small, enough to be seen when worn but not enough to get in the way. She holds them up, seeming to use you as a reference from the distance. She then nods, seeming satisfied with what she made. Then, with the last piece of ribbon available, she makes one more.

She then takes the three bows and walks over to Find first.

"This is for you, little one," she states, using a little bit of pink string from her pocket to thread through a space in the knot. She then ties it around the bug's neck, before adjusting it to make sure it is snug.

Congratulations, you have gotten a Pink Bow!

She then walks back over to you and looks over your long, black hair. She takes a strand of hair and runs her fingers through it. Seeming to examine the texture, oiliness, and strength of the hair. She then puts the strand down and walks around you for a bit. For someone who was sheltered, she had a surprising eye for details. Though, it made sense considering how orderly the place was.

"Alright, I think this is what I'll do," she states before grabbing the two bows.

She nestles the first one above your right ear, tieing into the hair without messing up the structure. She proceeds to do the same action on your left side and looks happy with her work. She goes to grab a hand mirror for you to look at, and then you hear a voice shout up.

"Oh, Rapunzel! Let Mother in please!" you hear a low, haughty voice. The one of a mature woman, who's been wisened through the years.

"Oh, I need to let Mother in!" she exclaims in a hurry and shoves the mirror into your hand.

You then see the girl let her hair down the tower, and after a few minutes, you see an older woman climb into the window. She had dark brown hair and light green eyes. Her completion was surprisingly young and fresh for an older mother, and she looks a little shocked when seeing you.

"Rapunzel dearest, who is this?" she asks, looking at you with worry.

"Oh, uh, this is Terri. I know you don't want people up here, but she helped put things away. Please mother, at least allow me to have a friend?" she pleads, her loneliness obvious.

"Well... She won't steal you away, I hope. You know how dangerous I've told you about the outside world," her mother states with worry. "Still, if she did help, then she can be a guest for dinner. Pleased to meet you, Terri, my name is Gothel."

The woman then asks her daughter to sit down, which the girl does willingly. You see her mother begin to brush the girl's hair and add in the bows one by one until a beautiful, bunched ribbon braid beginning to form.

"Please, feel free to read a book or look around. This will take at least an hour," you hear her mother say to you. "As long as you don't go into my room, do as you wish."

You had some time to kill, then. What do you do?
Rapunzel was quick to get to work. Terri watched with interest as she took the ribbon and made two more bows, tying them at just the right place, making them the perfect size to be worn- not so big as to be intrusive, but not so small as to not be noticeable. After using Terri herself as reference for her work, and nodding her satisfaction with what she's achieved, she took the last of the ribbon and made one final Pink Bow, walking up to Find with it. The Cutiefly hovered perfectly still as Rapunzel carefully tied the Pink Bow around her neck. Upon completion of this, Find buzzed happily. Terri giggled at this. "Find loves it," she said to Rapunzel. "And I can see why, it's a very good look," she added.

Next, however, was Terri. Rapunzel walked over to her, took a strand of her long, black hair in hand, and examined it for a moment. After this, she let go of the hair and walked around Terri, seeming to examine her now. She had quite the eye for detail, Terri couldn't deny that. Even as sheltered as she obviously was, the orderly state of the tower made this clear all the same. And finally, she decided on a course of action, nestling a bow above each of Terri's ears, tying them into the hair without messing any of it up. Terri wondered how it looked, but apparently, Rapunzel was pleased with the results. She went to get a hand mirror for Terri to be able to see the results, but before she could do this, a voice sounded from outside. The low, haughty voice of a mature woman- Rapunzel's mother, calling to be let in. And Rapunzel was quick to respond to this, leaving Terri with the hand mirror. Terri looked into the mirror, smiling as she saw the bows in her hair- she had to admit, she quite liked this look, and she started to seriously consider keeping it.

Rapunzel had let her hair down the tower, and minutes later, the older woman finished the climb up. Her hair was dark brown, her eyes light green, and her complexion surprisingly young and fresh for what one might presume her age to be. And her expression, one of worry as she spotted Terri. Rapunzel was quick to introduce Terri, begging as she did so to at least be allowed a friend. And even then, the woman was worried about Terri potentially stealing Rapunzel away, with a reminder of the dangers of the outside world, but conceded that if Terri had indeed helped to clean things up, then she could at least stay for dinner. She finally introduced herself as Gothel. "Nice to meet you, ma'am," Terri nodded in response.

Following this, Gothel asked Rapunzel to sit down, whereupon she began to braid the bows into her daughter's hair. Terri watched this for a moment, deep in thought. Gothel really did come across as overprotective, and boy, could Terri relate, different though their stories undoubtedly were. Terri, for instance... she was not exactly lonely, in the sense that it wasn't just her and her father. She had the company of every other Unown in Alph, and a few other Pokémon friends, one of which being the Baltoy who had eventually followed her to Fizzytopia and joined her team. But there was still loneliness in that Terri, nor any of her brothers or sisters, were allowed out into the outside world to interact with humanity as they once had been in the days of Alph's prime.

A look at Gothel brought to mind Terri's father- even if the concern came from a place of love, that didn't make it any less unwarranted or oppressive. Her father- an exclamation mark Unown, naturally, with how forceful a presence he tended to be. Possessed the uncanny ability to work remarks about how untrustworthy humans were into most any conversation, how all of Unownkind was better off having nothing to do with them... every time, Terri was left wondering if she was the only one who remembered the good humans as well, the ones who had vehemently opposed the greedy humans looking to abuse the power of the Unown to accomplish their own ends, the ones who made the decision to leave Alph for the Unown's sakes, knowing that the trust the two races had once shared had been so heavily eroded... the only one who missed them. So many of her brothers and sisters looked down upon her decision to experience humanity firsthand, and so many years it had taken for her to get her father on board with this plan. Terri's father was one of the leaders of the Unown of Alph- if he was on board with it, it was only a matter of time before the rest would follow suit. And one day, he took Terri aside, and conceded to who was then naught but a simple Unown T that he would grant her request, with the stipulation that she return to Alph at once if ever it came to light that he was right about humanity after all. Terri, of course, knowing he was wrong, readily agreed to these terms. It had taken the combined efforts of every Unown in Alph to turn Terri human, and even then, of course, there would always be a little bit of Unown in her. She wouldn't want it any other way, in fact.

Gothel spoke up a moment later, however, snapping Terri out of it. She explained that this process would take at least an hour (which Terri somehow didn't find surprising), and invited Terri to read a book, or look around, or basically do whatever she wished, provided she stayed out of the woman's room. Which, naturally, got Terri damn curious about Gothel's room. But right now, she was no more than a guest in this heightened household, and had no reason to wish to defy the wish of her hosts. She nodded in response to Gothel, then turned and headed for the bookshelves. She was pretty sure any attempts at exploring the tower would take far less long than an hour, so she decided first she'd see if any of Rapunzel's books stood out to her. Anything about the Unown would naturally appeal to her- it was always interesting to learn about her own kind from the human perspective- but failing that, she really wasn't too picky. Find and Nuzzle made to follow Terri. Want perched on Terri's shoulder, glancing at the bows in her Trainer's hair, the Murkrow having to admit that while it wasn't her kind of aesthetic personally, her Trainer did at least wear it well. And Keep brought up the rear, the Gothitelle silent as ever, though she turned to give an unreadable look in Gothel's direction. What she was thinking, what she might have seen, she did not divulge, and so she simply followed the others, wondering what sort of book Terri was going to pick out.

*Obtained the Pink Bow!*

*As a result of reaching 10 Bond, Find learned Gummi Bomb (Psychic)!*

*As a result of reaching 10 Bond, Find learned the Egg move Powder!*

Last edited by Missingno. Master; 10-06-2021 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:41 PM   #44
blu3shift
Cascade Badge

Lil'twick – In the midst of the whirlwind of exposition that Mayor Branson was putting you through, you couldn't help but wander back to the setting of this story; this was probably something of Unovan origin, if the Meloetta from earlier wasn't a dead giveaway already then it was the cars that lined the streets, the region being very well known for them. This wasn't exactly a point to dwell upon, however; you had something else to do, after all.

That something else seemed nigh impossible, unfortunately. The winding paths on the map seemed to stretch on for miles. How could someone realistically expect you to go all the way out there in less than a day? The only thing that offered you solace was the fact that you were standing in the midst of a work of fiction, which meant that no matter what you'd definitely be back before sunset. The only thing that you could truly decide on right now was where to go first.

Sinewave Lake looks like a good place to start to you, between the plentiful amount of water types that probably lived there and a reed or two to help you in your quest to fill out the woodwind section of your orchestral armada. But first... food. Traveling on an empty stomach wasn't exactly your forte. You rush inside the nearest restaurant, barely catching a glimpse of the building that houses it as the lengthy scarf around your neck and identically-colored Maractus billow in your wake.

"Yeah, never got the Meloetta thing. I mean, if I was that important, I'd just stick around, ya know?"

The first thing that you notice upon walking in is the sound of someone holding a conversation. The second thing that you notice is what you walked into; a small-but-quaint café, a wood-paneled floor supporting rustic furniture made out of the same material as it backs into several brick walls. Early-morning light filters through the large windows behind you, illuminating a large chalkboard behind the metallic counter displaying today's menu. That, or yesterday's menu; from the looks of things it was fairly obvious that the place had just opened. It was charming in a way; almost as if the writer of this story had tailored this place specifically towards the interests of their audience, whoever that may be.

A barista sits behind the counter, blabbing away on a silvery flip phone. That kind of threw off your whole prediction about the timeframe of this story—cell phones definitely didn't exist a century ago. Quietly correcting your thoughts, you approach the counter, setting the map that was given to you earlier down on top of its smooth surface. The barista looks towards you, your Maractus, and the map, raising both of his eyebrows and sighing as he quite visibly becomes aware of your presence.

"Uh, talk to you later, looks like the festival traffic's starting to roll in, and I'm pretty sure this guy's definitely from out of town. Call me back if something comes up."

The barista whips his flip phone closed and quickly stashes it in his pocket. The menu looks inviting; the usual café fare fills the chalkboard above you, but something stands out—a line written in bright blue reading "FESTIVAL SPECIAL! OTHER ITEMS AVAILABLE ON REQUEST". You weren't sure exactly what else that could be cooked up for you, but perhaps you could take advantage of this?

"Welcome to Sawsbuck's," he says chipperly, though with a very slight hint of sarcasm—almost like he's expecting something bad to happen. "What can I get for you today?"
Old 10-10-2021, 10:58 AM   #45
Lil'twick
Insanity

Quote:
Lil'twick – In the midst of the whirlwind of exposition that Mayor Branson was putting you through, you couldn't help but wander back to the setting of this story; this was probably something of Unovan origin, if the Meloetta from earlier wasn't a dead giveaway already then it was the cars that lined the streets, the region being very well known for them. This wasn't exactly a point to dwell upon, however; you had something else to do, after all.

That something else seemed nigh impossible, unfortunately. The winding paths on the map seemed to stretch on for miles. How could someone realistically expect you to go all the way out there in less than a day? The only thing that offered you solace was the fact that you were standing in the midst of a work of fiction, which meant that no matter what you'd definitely be back before sunset. The only thing that you could truly decide on right now was where to go first.

Sinewave Lake looks like a good place to start to you, between the plentiful amount of water types that probably lived there and a reed or two to help you in your quest to fill out the woodwind section of your orchestral armada. But first... food. Traveling on an empty stomach wasn't exactly your forte. You rush inside the nearest restaurant, barely catching a glimpse of the building that houses it as the lengthy scarf around your neck and identically-colored Maractus billow in your wake.

"Yeah, never got the Meloetta thing. I mean, if I was that important, I'd just stick around, ya know?"

The first thing that you notice upon walking in is the sound of someone holding a conversation. The second thing that you notice is what you walked into; a small-but-quaint café, a wood-paneled floor supporting rustic furniture made out of the same material as it backs into several brick walls. Early-morning light filters through the large windows behind you, illuminating a large chalkboard behind the metallic counter displaying today's menu. That, or yesterday's menu; from the looks of things it was fairly obvious that the place had just opened. It was charming in a way; almost as if the writer of this story had tailored this place specifically towards the interests of their audience, whoever that may be.

A barista sits behind the counter, blabbing away on a silvery flip phone. That kind of threw off your whole prediction about the timeframe of this story—cell phones definitely didn't exist a century ago. Quietly correcting your thoughts, you approach the counter, setting the map that was given to you earlier down on top of its smooth surface. The barista looks towards you, your Maractus, and the map, raising both of his eyebrows and sighing as he quite visibly becomes aware of your presence.

"Uh, talk to you later, looks like the festival traffic's starting to roll in, and I'm pretty sure this guy's definitely from out of town. Call me back if something comes up."

The barista whips his flip phone closed and quickly stashes it in his pocket. The menu looks inviting; the usual café fare fills the chalkboard above you, but something stands out—a line written in bright blue reading "FESTIVAL SPECIAL! OTHER ITEMS AVAILABLE ON REQUEST". You weren't sure exactly what else that could be cooked up for you, but perhaps you could take advantage of this?

"Welcome to Sawsbuck's," he says chipperly, though with a very slight hint of sarcasm—almost like he's expecting something bad to happen. "What can I get for you today?"
Wandering into the nearby cafe, Basil notices a guy talking on a flip phone. Some conversation about not caring about the festival at hand, nor exactly happy about the eccentric boy coming in. He looked despondent... to say the least.

Yet, the place itself was nice. A quaint, rustic cafe by the name of Sawsbuck's... Definitely, a spot he could see himself working away at lyrics and sheets. Maybe perform at night when a local band would be showcased. A place, where he wished he was born in another time. Another place. Maybe, maybe he'd be normal. He wouldn't have these murderous urges...To have violent outbursts and utterly destroy those who stood in his way.

Yet, this wasn't the case. He was from a time two decades into the future. Where the world had gone to shit, and he never knew of these halcyon days. Days where people still had hoped... Where everything was this idyllic shade of yellow. Where, when looking back, he had nostalgia for a time he never had the privilege to experience.

While the festival special intrigued him... He wanted to stick to what he liked. Kids were picky eaters, after all, and even as a tween he still retained that pickiness.

"Hiya! Could I get a plate of three pancakes, please? Maple Syrup covered butter on the side. With that a mug of hot cocoa with whipped cream..." he trailed off, then looking at Staccato. "And a bow of cut berries for the special little baby! If that's not possible, we'll just take the special then."

Once his order was put in and his transaction was done, he went to his designated table and sprawled out the map. While he had the first route in mind, he wanted to work on noting where he wanted to go. Sinewave Lake, then most likely cut through the third trainer route to the forest. Considering this was a world of fiction... He was guaranteed to make it back if the story would allow it.

Once he was done in the forest, he'd most likely have Allegro fly him up to the cave. His Tropius was strong, dependant, and reliable as well. Though, with his giant size, he usually stayed in his Pokeball. There was also just this nagging feeling he had to avoid coming directly back into the village once he set out. And once he had his food, he'd just eat it up and make his way towards the lake.

I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Old 10-16-2021, 10:53 PM   #46
blu3shift
Cascade Badge

Lil'twick – You enjoy the sights and sounds of your chosen venue. To others, it's just a café, but to you, it feels like home. Or, at least what home would have been if you weren't born some four to six years later. You could see yourself jotting down lyrics to your latest masterpiece, catching a local band or two playing theirs, not wishing death on anyone who slighted you... completely normal whims for someone your age.

While you could have asked for something different, you chose to stick to the same tune that you've played for as long as you can remember: some pancakes and hot cocoa to get you going, and a medley of berries for your fledgling Maractus. The barista nods, asks you to pay, and then promptly starts to get to work. He looks a little nervous, occasionally stopping in front of various cabinets like he's looking for something, but you're too busy moving to the table to notice.

If you're going to cover a lot of distance in one day, then it's a wise idea to plan it out. You've already established that you want to head to Sinewave Lake first, but then came the second area... the forest sounded good, since it wasn't too far from where you were planning to go first and you could easily make it on foot. Lastly was the cave; it seemed like a bit of a ways away but you could probably make it between your Tropius and the plot armor that this story presumably gave you. Everything has to be resolved in the end, right? Your understanding of music theory certainly backed that up.

"Here's your order, had to improvise a little since we were missing a few ingredients. Ah, of course you got last year's map, didn't ya..."

You're broken from your planning exercise to notice the barista serving your order. Everything looks just like you ordered, but you can't help but notice that there seems to be a little less variety in the berry bowl than you expected. The other party isn't worried about that, though, instead pointing to the map that you were looking at. "Trust me, those trails aren't nearly as long. It's a misprint." That's probably a relief? Either way, you have other means of getting places, so you're not too concerned about how long it'll take you to complete your mission.

"Anyway, order's done, so I'm going to go back to the counter—" He begins, but is quickly interrupted by the sound of a bell ringing from the front of the café. A new customer walks in the door, wheeling a drumset off to the side by an empty table. And then another, this time holding a violin in one hand. And another, with a bass strapped around their shoulder...

"And the festival truly begins," he quietly says with a sigh, returning to his post behind the counter to serve the next customer. Sounds like he's going to be really busy today, so you probably won't be able to talk to him unless you're willing to wait in line for a while. As for yourself, you should be good to go for now, unless you have any more unfinished business here that you'd like to take care of.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:39 PM   #47
Sneaze
Mrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raves View Post
Department of Literature and Fiction (reply in peru)

It is not just the true stories that piqued Hyun-pa's interest, but the stories created by authors as well. Sequestered above World History, Literature and Fiction expresses the creative minds of countless individuals, with famous and obscure titles everywhere, fairy tales standing in the same room as great sagas and simple drabbles and poems nestled with exotic novellas and works too risque for younger readers. Much to form, the Whimsical Archivist, Nimmi the Aromatisse wanders carefree, pointing visitors in random directions to whatever she feels fits them. Trainers who want a fanciful, unpredictable journey would be at home on this floor of the archives.
Wandering into the library with a bit of urgency, the small girl stares up at the endless shelves before her. Allison was no stranger to public places, but as libraries go this was far and away from the standard of any she had seen. Her Girafarig, Nolon, trotted alongside her with glee as the duo entered, the main head of the Pokemon staring about in similar awe to his trainer, while the rear snapped happily at books just out of reach along the way. Spotting the upstairs the girl hopped atop her mount, the Girafarig bucking forwards and back, unsure where to go before Allison pointed forward towards the stairs, causing the Pokemon to bolt forward with surprising speed, nearly tripping up the stairway before entering the Departure of Literature and Fiction. Hopping off to look around, the girl turned towards the Aromatisse in the area to ask for a suggestion, only for both the main and rear head of Nolon to pluck separate books off of the shelves as soon as she turned away.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:02 PM   #48
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaze View Post
Wandering into the library with a bit of urgency, the small girl stares up at the endless shelves before her. Allison was no stranger to public places, but as libraries go this was far and away from the standard of any she had seen. Her Girafarig, Nolon, trotted alongside her with glee as the duo entered, the main head of the Pokemon staring about in similar awe to his trainer, while the rear snapped happily at books just out of reach along the way. Spotting the upstairs the girl hopped atop her mount, the Girafarig bucking forwards and back, unsure where to go before Allison pointed forward towards the stairs, causing the Pokemon to bolt forward with surprising speed, nearly tripping up the stairway before entering the Departure of Literature and Fiction. Hopping off to look around, the girl turned towards the Aromatisse in the area to ask for a suggestion, only for both the main and rear head of Nolon to pluck separate books off of the shelves as soon as she turned away.
Sneaze: In general, mixing and matching the books in the Djinn's Archive was not particularly recommended. Combining worlds together without proper knowledge, foresight, and intuition could create some dramatic, and often dangerous, results. So most people were often directed to one book, one story, one universe. But Nolon, the Girafarig, had picked up two books, and so your journey will be fraught, and filled with peril. The world around you begins to swirl and fade away as you feel lethargy take over you, and collapse to the ground. What still felt like ground anyways.

You feel two things upon waking up. The first is your Girafarig gently nudging you with its nose, trying to wake you up. The second was the wind. The harsh, biting wind. You slowly start yourself, looking down and seeing that you were unconscious in a snow bank. It is something of a miracle that you aren't frost-bitten or hypothermic, but you quickly realize it is actually very cold out right now. If you weren't frost-bitten or hypothermic now, you were soon going to be. You quickly spin your head around to see to get some sense of your surroundings, but your Girafarig tugs against your sleeve with the head on its back end, trying to get your attention. The main head points and you look in that direction and see a small town off in the distance. There looked to be about twenty or so buildings from what you could see, many of whom lit-up and had smoke coming out of the fireplace. You couldn't see anybody, not at this distance, but there were surely people living there.

It's clearly the correct way to go, but how will you approach this village, and what will you do, in this strange and new world you find yourself in?
Emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:39 PM   #49
Sneaze
Mrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Sneaze: In general, mixing and matching the books in the Djinn's Archive was not particularly recommended. Combining worlds together without proper knowledge, foresight, and intuition could create some dramatic, and often dangerous, results. So most people were often directed to one book, one story, one universe. But Nolon, the Girafarig, had picked up two books, and so your journey will be fraught, and filled with peril. The world around you begins to swirl and fade away as you feel lethargy take over you, and collapse to the ground. What still felt like ground anyways.

You feel two things upon waking up. The first is your Girafarig gently nudging you with its nose, trying to wake you up. The second was the wind. The harsh, biting wind. You slowly start yourself, looking down and seeing that you were unconscious in a snow bank. It is something of a miracle that you aren't frost-bitten or hypothermic, but you quickly realize it is actually very cold out right now. If you weren't frost-bitten or hypothermic now, you were soon going to be. You quickly spin your head around to see to get some sense of your surroundings, but your Girafarig tugs against your sleeve with the head on its back end, trying to get your attention. The main head points and you look in that direction and see a small town off in the distance. There looked to be about twenty or so buildings from what you could see, many of whom lit-up and had smoke coming out of the fireplace. You couldn't see anybody, not at this distance, but there were surely people living there.

It's clearly the correct way to go, but how will you approach this village, and what will you do, in this strange and new world you find yourself in?
Waking to the feel of wind and biting snow was certainly less than pleasant for Allison. Perhaps less so was the fact that she had no idea how she had ended up here. Was she not just in a beautiful library? And what happened to that Aromatisse she had seen? There wasn't much time to think on it, as Nolon's nose pushes against her, nudging her back to... reality? Shaking off the snow that had piled atop her body, the girl pulls her jacket tight to brace against the wind somewhat before turning to her Girafarig.

"Hey buddy... where are we?"

No answer, aside from an equally confused stare from both head and tail.

"Oh. Right. Pokemon can't talk." The girl chuckled to herself before pulling the Girafarig's ball from her boot and turning it towards the shivering Pokemon. "Wherever we are, it's definitely not your climate. Return." And with a short bolt of light, the Girafarig disappeared and the ball was returned to its resting place.

Noting the buildings in the distance, it was fairly clear there was little way to go but forward, and with the snow and wind there was only one reasonable mount to make the way. Plucking another Pokeball from her boots and tossing it to the air, another hooved companion joins Allison's side, this one with a mane of flame to help protect from the cold. Petting the Ponyta gently to calm the somewhat timid beast, Allison shushes quietly as she presses herself against the pony to warm herself.

"Hey, Kassie! I know it's not your riding day, but it's far too cold here for Nolon." Pointing towards the buildings she continues as she hops gently aboard the Ponyta's back. "Can you get us over there so we can get out of the cold?"

A short braying sound breaks the Ponyta's silence, giving an answer. "Great! Let's get over there fast and keep warm doing it with a Flame Charge!"

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:32 AM   #50
Lil'twick
Insanity

MM-

Browsing the bookshelf, you look for tales of the mysterious letters of Johto. Strange creatures were they not? Yet, this was a fairytale. What made you think that there would be actual history here? No, all of these books were about this world. This story. Tools and plot devices to give the narrative thought. Stories of kingdoms far away, their people, their culture, and their way of life. Books on the stars in the sky, and the earth beneath. Wonderous feats of knowledge, all to give this girl the drive to go forth into the world.

So, the best thing you could grab was a book on this world's history. Of how it was formed, how Pokemon and Humans worked together, and of the kingdoms that rose and fell. Yet, going through the pages, the detailing was surprisingly... sparse. You realized that this wasn't a living, breathing world. You were a part of the story. An observer, that no matter what you did you were stuck in the author's pre-set plot.

And that, that was the horror of fairytales. No matter how much they are retold... No matter how much changes, the more the story stays the same. A prison, for these characters to endlessly repeat whenever the book was opened once again. That the lesson was there for children to learn, no matter through its happiness or sadness. Their fate was already sealed, and no matter how much you try and yearn for something different. No matter how much you fight against it... It's always been foretold to end entombed and imprisoned within these pages.

"Terri?" You hear Repunzal state, snapping you back to the current part of the story.

"We're done. Let's eat," the blonde girl tells you with a smile. Her hair was tied up all beautifully into one of the most complex braids you've ever seen. But it was lovely, with the ribbons being used perfectly.

A bowl of piping hot soup was handed to you, and some for your Pokemon as well. There was an eerie silence as you drank this flavorless soup. That was not part of the story... No, this was just a small interlude to move you to the next part:

"Thank you for your company Terri, but it's time for us to sleep and we have no spare room. There is an inn nearby that you could safely get to and find room and board... If you leave now. Monsters prowl these woods at night," Gothal speaks up, trying to be polite but blunt.

The day was starting the wane, the sun making its slow descent. As much as you wanted to protest. To help this girl flee her captivity. That was not your role. The story was progressing without you, so you either had to conform or get pushed out of the book. No point in leaving the book halfway finished.

What do you do? Do you see this story to its end?

I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles