UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
Martz
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Martz Send a message via MSN to Martz
Guild Wars 2

Is anybody getting this for the 3 day Pre-Release tonight, or even when it comes out next Tuesday? I've been following the beta for a couple months now and this game looks amazing.
Martz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
Handymankg2
It's the yearly visit!

Send a message via AIM to Handymankg2 Send a message via MSN to Handymankg2 Send a message via Skype™ to Handymankg2
I played a bit of the pre-release on my friend's account (he let me play so I can see if it runs on my laptop) and can safely say it's fantastic.

I've been waiting for this game ever since I started playing GW1 about five odd years ago, and for it to have finally arrived is just the best thing. I'll be playing on my own account from Tuesday, so if anyone else is going to be playing/wants to form some sort of UPN guild, I'd be up for it.
Handymankg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
Martz
Cascade Badge

I'm Mister Martz on the Darkhaven server. Already in Dark Resistance...pretty sure committed too since they require you to sign up on a forum and all that fancy bs.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Been waiting for this game for years. Held off getting the first Guild Wars back in like 2009, 2010 because I heard this one was coming out. I don't have a good enough computer to run this nor the necessary disk space but if/when I do I'll probably look into getting it. Of all the MMOs I shopped around at the time, this one seemed to have the most interesting universe and races/character builds to me. Things could've changed of course in two years and I'll probably do my homework all over again before investigating an MMO to lay down money for but I can say I am happy to hear from someone who's played it that the sequel has lived up to expectations. That's cool.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
ChaoticHell83
Boulder Badge

Oh my God, can't wait to get paid on Thursday so I can pick this up. I regret not pre-purchasing SO much. The release date actually snuck up on my. I was super hyped about it, but it hadn't a release date, then all of the sudden my friend was asking if I was gonna get it in a week!

ChaoticHell83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
Martz
Cascade Badge

The interface is beautiful. You gain experience doing practically everything. It's not do this quest, then do that quest, then unlock this quest chain...it's go into an area, kill a few things for the area quest (that you don't have to turn in) then a dynamic event may occur where a swarm of mobs come and you have to kill them all or along the lines of protect some caravan from mobs. It's crazy.

World vs World is pretty cool and unique except for the walking across the map part (pretty sure there are teleports but haven't figured them out yet). You can build siege weapons and bust into castles and take vantage points...it's okay if you have some coin to spend on stuff.

There is a game wide auction house as well that applies to all servers in game. Currently down at the moment though =/ Areananet has given us the ability to sell the gems that you can buy for real world currency on the "Trading Post" (the AH) thus, hopefully eliminating gold farmers by cutting the middleman.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Been waiting for this game for years. Held off getting the first Guild Wars back in like 2009, 2010 because I heard this one was coming out.
Well.... people who had heard the announcement of GW2 actually played/bought GW1 to finish all the storylines and such for medals (achievements). Each medal unlocked would give you some kind of bonus in GW2.

I was also interested in this, but my computer is shit and I'd rather hold out for Phantasy Star Online 2.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
Sneaze
Mrow?

So I actually had the 3-day headstart (for both me AND Kadota), but with our move and the internet taking over two months to install, I will be playing when the internet gets installed on Thursday hopefully.

Also a UPN guild would be pretty cool I guess, even if we'd likely be on different servers.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
Martz
Cascade Badge

The game is cool now that they got the Trading Post up. Groups are still kind of screwy. Our server was owning WvW like 30k to 19k and 13k respectively and had the huge castle in the middle of the map, so that's good.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #10
Sneaze
Mrow?

My server blows at WvW. Still, seiging Stone Mist Castle by myself with an army of necro pets was quite possibly the most hilarious thing ever. That's what the other server gets for leaving it COMPLETELY UNGUARDED.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #11
Martz
Cascade Badge

Its going to be a common thing that people are either 1) Not going to know how to use siege weapons in the beginning or 2) they will never know how to use siege weapons. That seems to be the most complaints I've seen about WvW. We were getting owned by Yak's Bend last night >>"
Old 09-07-2012, 01:25 AM   #12
Sneaze
Mrow?

...seige weapons are so ridiculously easy to use though.

Also my server is Plains of Ashford, in case you're ever lucky enough to face us, because we suck.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #13
Martz
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezey12 View Post
...seige weapons are so ridiculously easy to use though.
Yeah but you also need supplies to use them and most people aren't picking them up from what we're seeing. Just beat the gate down with 1,2,3,4,5 and hope they don't die.

What class did you end up playing? I picked a Human Engineer. The "Boring" Dual Pistol build.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #14
Sneaze
Mrow?

Sylvari necro minionmaster with staff. Secondary weapons are duel daggers.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #15
Martz
Cascade Badge

I haven't played in a few weeks due to time and I'm hoping it dies down a bit. It's been hard to grind out mats to level crafting. Been kinda pissing me off.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #16
Sneaze
Mrow?

I find it ridiculously easy to grind out mats for crafting if you just don't care about crafting for the first twenty levels or so but still have been collecting things. XD

Old 09-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #17
Martz
Cascade Badge

Bone Chips and Tiny Totems I can't find regardless. I'm actually trying to complete the map.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #18
Sneaze
Mrow?

I could see how finding Tiny Totems could be annoying, but Bone Chips are easy. I have a ton... forget what drops them though...

Old 09-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #19
Patches
Shake it!

I really do love this game and it is also very beautiful. The one thing that does bother me is the addiction level. This is a very good game but there is something about it that makes it lack. When I played WoW I was drawn in, I realize that I would grind most of the time but I was addicted, I would think about the game while I was at work and how I wanted to progress.

Guild Wars 1 was an amazing game and unfortunately I wasn't introduced to it until last year. Even though I didn't play until so late, I was still addicted for a couple months. I just have no problem putting down Guild Wars 2 and I can't put my finger on what it is. I like the game more than WoW but I don't feel like I am compelled to play it like I would be with other MMOs.
Patches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #20
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches View Post
I just have no problem putting down Guild Wars 2 and I can't put my finger on what it is. I like the game more than WoW but I don't feel like I am compelled to play it like I would be with other MMOs.
This was pretty much the problem I had with it during the beta test earlier this year. Great game, better than WoW by most (all?) accounts, and the inclusion of dynamic events was really cool, too, because it felt like you were actually doing something that was going to permanently affect the outcome of the world. But once the game actually came out, I just wasn't really excited to keep playing. I suffered the exact same problem with The Old Republic (except that game actually is terrible...)

On the other hand, Mists of Pandaria looks nice, but... I think I'm done paying $15 a month for mediocre entertainment that will really account to nothing more than a way to waste time (whereas GW2 was at least free-to-play), as tempted as I still am (inb4 someone says "that's what all video games are")

Last edited by deoxys; 09-30-2012 at 09:29 PM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:58 AM   #21
Patches
Shake it!

I wasn't interested in The Old Republic so I never actually played but I can imagine the outcome being the same.

I just wish I knew what it was, I have never encountered this problem before. I like so much about GW2, even more than games I was previously addicted to, yet I lack an interest in playing it. I am probably going to still play it off and on I just wish it had something to draw me to it.

I don't plan on playing MoP, I actually lost interest in WoW when my guild transformed and my friends started taking the game too seriously. But apparently the Pandaren have fluffy tails so I'm told I should play for that alone.
Patches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #22
Martz
Cascade Badge

It's because it's free, you don't feel forced to play it. I'm okay with that because I still think about playing it even though I never get a chance to due to work just being hectic as of late.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:17 PM   #23
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

Y'know, I was going to make a GW2 thread... but one already exists! Nifty.

I've been playing GW2 since May of this year, and it's probably one of my favorite MMOs ever... and that's saying quite a bit, since I am a complete MMO addict. I'm curious to see who else is playing, since I find I enjoy the game most when I'm playing with friends~

FB Member Post
FB Memakyu
FB Affinity Avenue

Credit to Pengyzu for my user bar. Thank you!
Marion Ette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #24
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

It's also on sale for half price until October 5th.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:47 PM   #25
Lil'twick
Insanity

Send a message via Skype™ to Lil'twick
*NECROS*

(Remind me to make an Asura Necro with HoT)

So more people should come and play GW2. We do have a small guild and it's a lot of fun!

I fill my lungs with everything
You want someone that I can't be
You say it's insanity, but
I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Lil'twick is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games