UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 09-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #5501
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
Just watched Monogatari 10. Felt a bit rushed, but another great arc nonetheless.

Spoiler: show
Seeing Mayoi grown-up was a treat. Too bad the meeting was so short.

The scene where Araragi and Shinobu were walking together was sweet and sad... Though it kinda carried on too long into sappiness. ^^; Whereas the confrontation with Kiss-Shot seemed a little lackluster in comparison.

Still, it was a nice resolution. Loved the part where Mayoi mirrored Araragi' typical assault at the end too.

Hope the series can keep this up (unlike Nisemonogatari). Whole time I kept thinking I can't wait to see what the studio does with Kagepro. *shot*

(Incidentally, I did not know SHAFT head-tilts were a thing until now, but I won't say no to those either~)
Oh I thought the confrontation with Kiss-shot was really well written. The series pulled what it does quite often when you expect confrontation but are instead met with a torrent of feelings. This was one of those episodes where I had shivers the whole way through because I thought it was that good. I love how finally Shinobu and Araragi have developed a proper friendship rather than an agreement. The scene where they walk together finally shows this.

I wish grown-up Hachikuji could've had a little more screen time, but I'm happy with what she was given. I'll admit the episode seemed a little rushed, but considering the staff have to fit a whole book into 5 episodes, 5 seperate times, I think they're doing a pretty damn good job so far.

Still really want to see more Gaen, but if the rest of the episodes leading up to it are as good as they've been so far I'm happy to wait. I believe next week is the start of Hanamonogatari, and focus' around... Kanbaru? I hope so.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #5502
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

On Index. Honestly, it has been years since I watched it. My memory is fairly fuzzy on it, and it might just be my vague memories making it better than it is. I do remember being genuinely interested in it and wishing for a second season though. I couldn't say that for Railgun when I watched it. Actually I was kind of disgusted that it was more popular than Index in Japan.

Has anyone watched Kantai Collection? I heard it was a braindead show like Strike Witches, and I don't really intend on watching it myself, but good god DAMN there's a character from it that looks great. While the show might be awful, they designed an excellent looking character. Her C84 doujins have been most excellent!

Also I plan on starting Aikatsu. I have no expectations from it, but it's something to check out I guess. I mostly noticed it because of all the art of a character who looks like Regina from Doki Doki Precure (sometimes confusing me). It's a kid's show, so it shouldn't go in braindead otaku pandering territory, so hopefully it won't be terrible.

It seems some kind soul is working on an English patch for the Air VN. There have been two complete beta patches released, but I plan on waiting for it to be complete before playing it. This is good news for me, because Air is the only non-spinoff Key VN I haven't read. Will it be better than the anime? It would be nice if it was!
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #5503
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgeorge View Post
Oh I thought the confrontation with Kiss-shot was really well written. The series pulled what it does quite often when you expect confrontation but are instead met with a torrent of feelings. This was one of those episodes where I had shivers the whole way through because I thought it was that good. I love how finally Shinobu and Araragi have developed a proper friendship rather than an agreement. The scene where they walk together finally shows this.

I wish grown-up Hachikuji could've had a little more screen time, but I'm happy with what she was given. I'll admit the episode seemed a little rushed, but considering the staff have to fit a whole book into 5 episodes, 5 seperate times, I think they're doing a pretty damn good job so far.

Still really want to see more Gaen, but if the rest of the episodes leading up to it are as good as they've been so far I'm happy to wait. I believe next week is the start of Hanamonogatari, and focus' around... Kanbaru? I hope so.
The confrontation was fine, I understood the meaning and emotions behind it. I guess I was just expecting a little more after all the build-up? Perhaps a better balance between the two, rather. Also even though Kiss-Shot apparently tried to burn herself, it didn't really look like it so I'm not sure where Shinobu even got that idea from. ^^; I think showing some scars would've helped heighten the impact.

Speaking of Kanbaru, is it just me or did grown-up Hachikuji kinda resemble her? Think it's the voice. The tone sounds similar, just higher and less husky. Sorta like a mix between Kanbaru and Hanekawa.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #5504
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Index: Never watched any of it (save maybe parts of Episode 01, years ago, when checking it out to see if it was for me). It didn't seem like a show for me. Seemed like a generic B-grade science fiction harem series. If that's not what it was, fine, but at this point, the Index franchise has ballooned to such complex heights that I'm not sure it's worth the trouble to start it up now.

Kantai Collection: Never heard of it. Sorry.

Aikatsu: Likewise, never heard of this either.

Air: Yeah, I won't be playing the VN, I'm pretty sure. ^^; I disliked too much about the anime (which I assume was faithfully enough adapted from the game) for me to want to give the game a go.

Kanon: Your talk of the Air VN though makes me wonder if we have any hope for a Kanon Remastered, i.e. the Kanon visual novel but with a remastered soundtrack and artwork. I would like that. And if it had the eroge aspects stripped out too, then I would definitely consider playing it.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #5505
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I've seen both Index and Aikatsu!. I think BBB will drop Aikatsu! because it's mind numbingly boring. It's hard to describe just how painfully dull the slice-of-life was in that show, and the dancing isn't up to PreCure standards.

Index season one was excellent. It deviated from the source materials some and was actually quite refreshing. I'm going to drop a spoiler - the main character loses his memories in the second/third episode, permanently. It causes him to have a bit of a personality change and approach the world in an interesting way. This leads him to do some creative, insightful, cunning things that's easy to appreciate. On top of solid action, character development and mystery plots, Index season 1 was a memorable show.

The milking of it, though...hasn't nearly been as entertaining. First off, the memory impairment has more or less gone away in Season 2+. The characters who aren't in focus degraded into stereotypes, and they're annoying. The plots got dumber and the new characters less memorable. It also got way more harem-ish. I haven't seen any of Railgun but I've heard it's just moe, fanservice and violence.

I...was not aware there's a new Monogatari series. I thought everyone was talking about Bake. How is it related to Bakemonogatari (sequel to Nise?) I'm still waiting on Koyomi Vamp myself...and that one where Mayoi doesn't die and becomes an adult, but everyone's a vampire, or something.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #5506
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I...was not aware there's a new Monogatari series. I thought everyone was talking about Bake. How is it related to Bakemonogatari (sequel to Nise?) I'm still waiting on Koyomi Vamp myself...and that one where Mayoi doesn't die and becomes an adult, but everyone's a vampire, or something.
The "second series" just covered the Mayoi arc. Before that was a story about Hanekawa. And apparently coming up is Kanbaru? It's basically a collection of separate character tales.

Nekomonogatari also aired a while ago, which seems fairly necessary as a precursor for the second series so far - if at least to understand the events of Golden Week. (Although there are still some random characters who show up that have yet to be introduced in the animé.)
Old 09-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #5507
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post

The confrontation was fine, I understood the meaning and emotions behind it. I guess I was just expecting a little more after all the build-up? Perhaps a better balance between the two, rather. Also even though Kiss-Shot apparently tried to burn herself, it didn't really look like it so I'm not sure where Shinobu even got that idea from. ^^; I think showing some scars would've helped heighten the impact.
Her clothes seemed pretty torn up, so probably from that. Or maybe she simply knows because it is her herself, and if she had to choose a way to go she'd choose that? Maybe. About the scars; they would just heal, her being a vampire and all. Kudos to the series for appreciating something minor like that.

> Doppel

The new series is the sequel to Nise. Koyomi Vamp is Kizumonogatari, yes? And Mayoi Jiang-Shi has literally just finished (I assume). The new series is more like Bakemonogatari in the sense that its more focused on the stories than the amazing dialogue, but rather than being quite mind-numbing like the were in Bake, the stories are REALLY good.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #5508
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgeorge View Post
Her clothes seemed pretty torn up, so probably from that. Or maybe she simply knows because it is her herself, and if she had to choose a way to go she'd choose that? Maybe. About the scars; they would just heal, her being a vampire and all. Kudos to the series for appreciating something minor like that.
Yeah, I figured they healed because of her vamp powers. Just saying, wish there was some way to have made it more obvious/impressive. *shrug*
Old 09-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #5509
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I think Index later on turns into a Christianity vs Science war...atleast that's what my memory of the crappy season 2 tells me it was turning into. I'm not sure how appealing that sounds to others. I'm not willing to watch through Touma walk in on girls while they're changing to get throttled 1000 fucking times to get to it.

Aikatsu
I watched two episodes of this. It's umm....okay. It's a cute show that could turn into something interesting, but the first episode was rushed. The events could have made 5 episodes, but instead we get a "Ichigo instantly learns how to sing and dance!". Also there's CGI dancing, but OH GOD IT'S UGLY! The models are first gen IM@S bad (before moving to console). Will I drop it? Maybe.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #5510
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm so prescient before I look at myself in a mirror, I already know I look good.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-10-2013, 04:05 AM   #5511
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

So I marathoned Guilty Crown and as much as The World God Only Knows 3 as has been released.

Guilty Crown is essentially a fusion of Code Geass and Madoka, with a bit of Mirai Nikki mixed in for good measure. It's utterly fantastic.

The World Only God Knows is just as shippy and full of glorious fluff as always, but now it's even better because things are happening. And by 'things are happening', I mean that characters are starting to feel the effects of sustained missions.

I have a '#MY SHIPPER HEART' gif, but it's utterly unsuited for this situation. Just keep the love coming, my pretties. Just keep it coming...
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:09 AM   #5512
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

> Guilty Crown

I'll hold back my ranting about the series for now. I'll just say that the only thing going for it was the animation and artwork (and the music, to an extent). Everything else was mostly tot.

In other news, I've picked up something new. Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin is actually fucking excellent after just 3 episodes. It sort of reminds me of a less sci-fi, less action oriented Attack on Titan. The art is very similar, and its written in the same way in the sense that nothing good ever really happens. The difference is that Rainbow is VERY well written, and underneath all the suffering there's the hope that the inmates all have in their friendship. Its very very depressing, but its also heartwarming at the same time. Also, whilst this show has a lot less gore and violence than in, say, Elfen Lied, I think its a lot more effective because the things that happen are just SO real. You could easily expect these things to happen in post-war Japan, and it makes it all the more heart-wrenching when they do.

Love it so far.

Last edited by Midgeorge; 09-10-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Midgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #5513
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
Has anyone watched Kantai Collection? I heard it was a braindead show like Strike Witches, and I don't really intend on watching it myself, but good god DAMN there's a character from it that looks great. While the show might be awful, they designed an excellent looking character. Her C84 doujins have been most excellent!
Kantai Collection isn't a show, it's a game. I also have no idea what it is and came across it the same way you did ... yeah. That outfit sure is somethin'!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #5514
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I haven't heard many positive things about Guilty Crown. It was widely regarded as having some of the worst writing in any major anime the year it came out. I couldn't get past the third or so episode. Yes, it's Geass-like...but all the charm and uniqueness of Geass was lost on it.

It's supposedly a lot like Valvrave, but less campy. That's a bad thing, because Valvrave is ridiculous.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 09-10-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #5515
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

It looks fantastic, I'll give it that. Its just the writers took little bits of every single kind of generic archetype of story you can have (mecha, strange virus, power to use people's hearts as weapons) and it all sort of amalgamated into one giant mess of things. And then the second half got shittier, and the ending was also fairly shitty. Literally the only thing it had was fantastic visuals and an above average soundtrack, which some people might be okay with, but I certainly was not.

It does have its good points... not very many, but at least it has them.

Last edited by Midgeorge; 09-10-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Midgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #5516
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

I watched Guilty Crown from the beginning to the end.

The only good thing I can think of is the first OP. That's it.

GC is also the reason why I have an extremely hard time taking Yuki Kaji (Shu's voice actor) seriously. HenNeko is the only anime I can remember watching after Guilty Crown where his voice did not immediately make me feel like punching the character right in the face.

"So in this episode, a Kaji Yuuki character lectures others about standing up to the challenge despite being weak and feeble, and courageously steps into the fray when an unbeatable enemy shows itself. I’m…not sure I was ready for this."

Yeah, someone summed up my feelings about Yuki Kaji playing a part that's not whiny, emo and/or just plain awful - the character I mean, not the voice acting itself. Power of association!

PS. Bonus points if you can tell which character the quote is referring to!
Eren Jäger from Shingeki no Kyojin - and he just happens to be the character I like the absolute least in the entire series. I pray it's a coincidence and HenNeko isn't merely the exception that makes the rule.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #5517
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I think Guilty Crown's creators' hope was that we'd all be suckered in by their CC. ("Hey! It worked for Geass ! ") That year was particularly bad for stuff like this: as I recall, this was the same year they did Deadman Wonderland, another series that makes you curious to know more about it just because of its main female character.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #5518
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

*Quietly hugs knees and cries*

W-well, it's not my fault that I'm a sucker for The Power of Friendship and True Selves and stuff! ;___;

I mean, sure the plot didn't do anything unique, but I thought the inter-character relations were very well done and realistic, once we got past the web of lies in place at the beginning. Is that... Only me?
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #5519
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post

W-well, it's not my fault that I'm a sucker for The Power of Friendship and True Selves and stuff! ;___;
Then get to watching Persona 4 the Animation if you haven't already. :3 It has all of those things but it's way better than Guilty Crown!
Old 09-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #5520
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I think Guilty Crown's creators' hope was that we'd all be suckered in by their CC. ("Hey! It worked for Geass ! ") That year was particularly bad for stuff like this: as I recall, this was the same year they did Deadman Wonderland, another series that makes you curious to know more about it just because of its main female character.
The irony was one could see GC's ending a million miles away (a main character dying, the other living in a "my heart will go on" Titanic-style fashion) but people were still surprised by it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post

I mean, sure the plot didn't do anything unique, but I thought the inter-character relations were very well done and realistic, once we got past the web of lies in place at the beginning. Is that... Only me?
I think you'd have to watch other stuff and have a good frame of reference to compare GC against for you to know it's a pretty funky show. Like, when I saw Nagasarete Airantou way back in like 2006/2007, I thought it was great if un-spectacular, but I don't think I could watch it now because of how generic it is.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #5521
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Its like when I thought Mirai Nikki was the best anime I'd seen about a year and a half ago.

I'm still a little embarassed about that/
Old 09-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #5522
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

@kaisap: Well, see, I would watch it, but I have a strict policy of always playing the game first. ;^_^

Toradora!

Unlike the last anime featuring a diminutive protagonist I watched because of promises that the main ship was a good one, this one actually worked out. I'm normally not one for slice-of-life, but, well, the characters and issues presented in this one were very... Real. Actually, I'm afraid to give any solid verdict on it, myself, because it might have struck just a little too close to home. Anyway, it's not really a 'pageturner', per se, but I'd definitely say it's worthwhile.
Quote:
Old 09-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #5523
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It's possible you just have different tastes from some of us, Kind. I was willing to go along with the others' theory that you're still green to anime, but to be honest ToraDora! is for me one of the top 20 (if not one of the top 10) animes that I've seen. I've watched the series at least three times now (maybe four, I've lost count), I own the first of the books (and would like to get the rest), and ... yeah, definitely one of my favorites. Indeed, probably Top 10 (if not higher! ) moments of all time in anime would go to:

in Episode 24, and hot on its heels is:

in Episode 19.

So I mean, yeah, if you enjoyed ToraDora! okay but it wasn't really super awesome or anything, then it may just be because of differences in personal taste. Then again, you do indicate that you really liked it but for the fact that it hit a bit too close to home, so who knows.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #5524
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

*incoming KagerPro rant*

Found a fan-made rearrangement of the Summertime Record PV with drama dialogue...

FEELS

ALL THE FEELS

*flails*

Ah, I wish I could ask for translations but SPOILERS. OTL Still, I understand enough to feel sad about it... The actors did a great job. Kano's voice is really fitting hng. Cannot wait for the animé. <3

Also the instrumental and singing are gorgeous. Listening to the piano on its own, I appreciate the references to other songs in the series. (I thought the middle sounded strangely heavy and out-of-place at first, then I realized it's Outer Science. Plus there's Imagination Forest in the beginning, and at the end...) I just wish it didn't end so abruptly, though it makes sense in the PV.

The vocal version is relatively safe to link to as well since the lyrics aren't too specific, but avoid if you don't want any spoilers and can understand Japanese I guess.

Finally, some rambling on thoughts and theories about the story's conclusion itself (that no one will/should read at this point but I just have to get it out there somewhere - man, times like this I sorta wish I had a tumblr so I can post random things no one cares about XP)...

Assuming Haruka's alive and everyone else is dead... Isn't it the greatest irony that the one who had the greatest chance of death in the first place survived? Maybe he was in a coma and created this world out of loneliness? Some kind of escaping-from-reality scenario? (And Kenjirou is his actual doctor?) Reminds me of "The Anatomy of Haruhi Suzumiya"... I hope everyone's alive somehow... =< Though that might be cliché as well. Ah, who cares? *indulges in the bittersweetness*

Ah, and someone pointed out on the Kagerou Project wiki that the image in the crossfade is the same scene in Children Record where they are marching towards the bright light together... "Now I am more depressed" indeed. There were so many hints scatterd throughout the series, like the hexagon motif... Wonder what other secrets there are?

*disappears to work on her tribute AMV some more* Yes, another one... Aiming to have it done by this weekend but I'm already getting inspired again. ^^; So much for actually making use of RAWs now that I have a better video editor and disk space... Oh, well. Consider it practice to familiarize myself with the program before tackling the heavy-duty projects I have in mind. XP My goal is to enter the AMV Contest at AB next year and I want to learn as much as I can before then. (Watch me run into some sort of technical problem as I try to save... >.< Already getting stuff to work on my new computer was a hassle. So many roundabout methods I've come up with. ='D But, I will succeed! YOU CAN'T STOP ME MUAHAHA. *shot*)

Edit- The YouTube uploader added captions. My life is complete. 8D (Although, some parts seem a little off...)

Also this pic I found on tumblr makes me laugh/cry since incidentally I was just thinking how these two characters would probably relate to each other (again, spoiler!):

Edit2- Ahhh, I knew it!

Looks like it was confirmed that Kano is the cat in Kagerou Days. I also wondered if he was the cat in the Toumei Answer PV. Did he drive Ayano to suicide? Did he push her off the roof? Why Kano, whyyyyyy???

Also something else a Tumblerite caught.

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 09-16-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:33 AM   #5525
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

It seems Illya has ended, but I haven't really had the drive to watch it or the rest of my shows. I'll watch it and yack on about it when I have the drive to!

Aikatsu
I don't think I can watch this anymore. I tried to watch through this, but the CGI dancing segments are so god damn horrible. I'm talking about more than the ugly CGI models too. Each episode has about 3-5 minutes dedicated to CGI dancing and singing, which is all well and good, but half of the time, IT MAKES NO GOD DAMN SENSE! Like during "fashion shows", the girls sing and dance in the same outfit they always wear. I don't think that's a fashion show. Also they sing the same song every fucking time. Like out of 9 CGI segments (with 5 different characters), I've only heard two different songs (all of them with the same vocalist). I would be able to stomach through it if it wasn't so fucking cheap. Sing some different effing songs and make them seem like they have some meaning. Everything else is okay. The show is a bit dull, but I like the cast. Though they could slow things down a little bit with Ichigo's idol development. It reminds me of the Robot Chicken skit where they went through life doing montages. They do a little montage with her training, and she's a master! Well for one positive, I really like the ending.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime