UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 01-19-2008, 10:52 AM   #101
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Re: big bad birtha's suggestion box 2: secret passions unveiled

Finished Kaiji 15 earlier today. It was pretty good, I dunno why Doppel seemed so bummed out about the episode's natural content -- I think he's just grumpy (and rightly so!) that it was spoiled for him. As somebody who went into it completely unspoilered, I'd say that the precise details of certain surprises were quite surprising, even if the general outcome (one of the more obvious examples: the thought "Kaiji doesn't get the money") was predicted from the beginning. (After all, if Kaiji got the money, we know he's grown so much by now that he'd never squander it and get into debt again, and that would mean the show would be over! Unless the yakuza finally employed him as their gambling representative in affairs involving other clans, an option I'm still entertaining but for way later in the show.)

I was a little disappointed by Washizu's doppelganger no longer being able to be called Washizu's doppelganger because ...
a) aside from the hair and the smile, they have no visual similarities. Different noses, different eyes, new guy's got a huge handlebar mustache, etc.
b) after we heard the familiar "Washizu chuckle," he parted with Washizu's voice completely and spoke like an entirely new character. So the vocal similarities are out the door -- for now, anyway.
c) their focuses are different, even if they are both powerful men. I'd describe this guy, perhaps, as "what Washizu was like when he was younger." Very power-hungry and hoping to "be and remain the king." He doesn't particularly have the hatred against young folks that Washizu developed. This is good, of course, from an audience standpoint (since a Washizu rehash would eventually be called out for being just that -- a rehash!), but it's another nail in the coffin for the nickname "Washizu's doppelganger."

So I guess I have to go out now and find a new nickname for this guy. Or, just learn his proper name.

Oh yeah! Don't forget to support Kratos Aurion in today's SaiGAR! Either he won't need your support he'll be so popular OR your help won't matter because too many people don't know who he is. Time will tell. But still, thought I'd appeal for votes. Dunno about his competitors, but Kratos certainly deserves each and every vote he receives. Even if you don't want to vote for him, I encourage you to check out the Tales of Symphonia OAVs. Not quite as good as the games imo, but a preferable alternative to buying a GC game that takes over 50 hours to complete if you're time-constrained.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:59 PM   #102
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Err...I haven't watched any anime, but I will say one thing.....I have converted to downloading ^o^ No more waiting thirty minutes just to watch something I'm not sure is even the right thing. Now.....off to work ;_;
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:59 PM   #103
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Wait ... does this mean you finally got a new computer? Or does your conversion come along with the same old box you've currently got?
Old 01-19-2008, 09:07 PM   #104
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger

What struck me as odd was that the stairs didn't seem to be held up by anything, except two points on the building; a bar beneath the stair, and connecting up to the twenty-third story room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuande
c) their focuses are different, even if they are both powerful men. I'd describe this guy, perhaps, as "what Washizu was like when he was younger." Very power-hungry and hoping to "be and remain the king." He doesn't particularly have the hatred against young folks that Washizu developed. This is good, of course, from an audience standpoint (since a Washizu rehash would eventually be called out for being just that -- a rehash!), but it's another nail in the coffin for the nickname "Washizu's doppelganger."
His formal name is "Kazutaka Hyoudou". Since I did not have sound, I wasn't able to hear his voice, but it's interesting for you to bring up he sounds different from Washizu. Aside from filling the basic role in a Fukumoto story, that is, the "eccentric but dis-interested elderly billionaire with a curious interest in exotic gambles", it's good to hear he's like a different character. sukreih claims Kazutaka is more malevolent than Washizu, and my research seems to tell me he's far richer. Less of a lone wolf as well, but that's to come later.

Quote:
Oh yeah! Don't forget to support Kratos Aurion in today's SaiGAR! Either he won't need your support he'll be so popular OR your help won't matter because too many people don't know who he is. Time will tell. But still, thought I'd appeal for votes. Dunno about his competitors, but Kratos certainly deserves each and every vote he receives. Even if you don't want to vote for him, I encourage you to check out the Tales of Symphonia OAVs. Not quite as good as the games imo, but a preferable alternative to buying a GC game that takes over 50 hours to complete if you're time-constrained.
I might have voted for that character, but I've frowned upon ToS in the past and hadn't seen the OVAs.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:52 PM   #105
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
What struck me as odd was that the stairs didn't seem to be held up by anything, except two points on the building; a bar beneath the stair, and connecting up to the twenty-third story room.
I noticed that too. Even if the glass was the strongest substance known to man and it neither was brittle (to the point of crumbling) nor tensile (to the point of warping), it doesn't make sense that it would be perfectly upright like that. One would have thought it would have lain against the building with its other parts hanging downwards.

Quote:
His formal name is "Kazutaka Hyoudou". Since I did not have sound, I wasn't able to hear his voice, but it's interesting for you to bring up he sounds different from Washizu. Aside from filling the basic role in a Fukumoto story, that is, the "eccentric but dis-interested elderly billionaire with a curious interest in exotic gambles", it's good to hear he's like a different character. sukreih claims Kazutaka is more malevolent than Washizu, and my research seems to tell me he's far richer. Less of a lone wolf as well, but that's to come later.
In Washizu's defense, (a) he squandered a lot of his wealth in his later years and (b) we met him in the 1950s, not the 1990s. So it's possible that Washizu really was "the richest man in Japan" in immediately-post-war Japan, but that even if he had not lost his fortunes, he would have been lapped by others as the Japanese economy picked up. After all, Washizu's entire fortune was built around the war and the aftermath that followed; once peace time dragged on long enough, it's understandable that his influence would have waned.

Hyoudou's voice actor is clearly the same based on the early vocal hints (like "the Washizu chuckle" we heard not only on the Espoir but even in Episode 15!), but you'd never know it from 85% of his dialogue. He sounds as different from Washizu (now) as Tonegawa or the loan shark guy. Not as different as, say, Sahara / Kaiji from Washizu, but you get the idea. Doppel, why not check it out on Youtube? You could probably find Kaiji 15 divided into chunks on there ... just find the part where Hyoudou is leading Kaiji to the E-Card room.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:58 PM   #106
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Double-post, yes, but ... link to the voice. It was the first hit for "Kaiji 15" on Youtube, go figure. :P ;)
Old 01-20-2008, 03:13 AM   #107
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I should clarify; I couldn't hear Kazutaka's voice because the sound on my computer is dead. All the anime I've seen since three weeks ago have been without sound.

On the bridge issue, perhaps there were some columns under-neath it that we didn't see. Could be a case of lazy artwork - in Shana II, there's supposed to be some swirly magic around anyone not named Yuuji, a Flame Haze or Tomogara to allow them to walk in Fuzetsu, but that was dropped from the first season. Also accompanies the strange habit some have of referring to Shana as "Shana" instead of "Yukari-chan". >_>

Regarding your assessment of Washizu, Yasuoka estimated Washizu's original net worth at a billion yen, though Washizu's power extended beyond that raw cash; his investments were always growing at an astounding rate and he could influence politicians to do almost anything. Befitting of "the first king" if there was one, rather than an oligarch who Kazutaka seems to be.

Kazutaka's net worth is in the hundreds of billions of yen, even considering Japan starting a floating yen and inflation relative to US dollars, Washizu can't tough Kazutaka in terms of raw cash. Whether or not Kazutaka has soft-power has yet to be revealed to me.

It's not mentioned explicitly in any story, but I want to know who the other "shadow kings" are; the kind of folk conspiracy theorists would go nuts over. Akagi presumably took Washizu's place in Ten, Kazutaka appears to be one as well. Are there more, I wonder I wonder?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-20-2008, 03:59 AM   #108
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Wait ... does this mean you finally got a new computer? Or does your conversion come along with the same old box you've currently got?
No ;_; It just means that I found a way to watch episodes without the screen stopping.

Anyway, the new Clannad has been downloaded. Expect my sexy thoughts when I finish.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:09 AM   #109
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Oh, BBB. I finally got the ending for Clannad (Nagisa's Route) spoiled for me, and if it's true, it's enough for me to not pick up the show again. -_-; Seriously, I expected the weeaboo folks who kept saying "BEST VISUAL NOVEL EVER MADE" to be concealing info, much like the Church of Scientology, and sure enough I find one of the most ridiculous scenarios ever conceived for a story. It's not even original, it's just fudgin' dumb. I really want to see Tomoyo's scenario though.

I'd like you to confirm something. After Fuko's route, did Tomoya grab some sort of weird light orb that was floating around in the air?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-20-2008, 12:33 PM   #110
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Quote:
I'd like you to confirm something. After Fuko's route, did Tomoya grab some sort of weird light orb that was floating around in the air?
Err..I don't remember him doing so.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:47 AM   #111
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

That's a good sign. Who's the girl getting focus right now? Tell me if Tomoya grabs an orb when her arc ends.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-21-2008, 09:51 AM   #112
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I will answer your question in the Clannad thread (I'm sure you were satisfied by my review of the latest episode >.>)

Anyway, I have only one new episode review to hit. Here's my thoughts.

H2O~Footprints in the Sand~ 3- This was a pretty good episode. However, a certain mystery was kind of revealed, and if what I am thinking is true, then -_-; I am also starting to dislike the blond girl (err.....the one with long hair. There's three of them ^_^; ) The character I wanna know about, though is the trap. It was spoiled to me that the character is a trap (I don't think I was supposed to know so early), and I'd like to see through the person's trapness (he's the cutest character in the show.) I just hope it's serious and not like the trap in Lovely Complex (Oh my god, it was funny as hell though.)

I still have assloads of new episodes to hit. I downloaded the 40th episode of Hayate, and I am also downloading all of Oh! Edo Rocket. So much to watch, so little time.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:45 PM   #113
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I watched Shana II-14. I only have one word for it-

[attachment=0:2v0rl7hx]fisted.JPG[/attachment:2v0rl7hx]

FISTED!!!

Pheles is hawt. <3
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:27 AM   #114
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

>>Pheles was hawt.

Oh hey, I fixed your post.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-24-2008, 12:21 AM   #115
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

BBB, I'm laughing my arse off at Rosario + Vampire. Sure, the fanservice is annoying and bad, but the story's cheesy plot - meshed with the fact that the story is like a worksafe (for analogy's sake) Bible Black, and even has similar uniforms and colourations - makes it extremely funny to me. Let's just say that even if this show is the current season's Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun, it's a heck of a lot more entertaining.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-24-2008, 01:18 PM   #116
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Kaiji OST is out. Unfortunately, the opening theme song's full version is only 2:29 in length with an unimpressive bridge. However, I do think it's cute that half the tracks on Side 2 of the CD have the following names:

Ko Zawazawa 1
Ko Zawazawa 2
Chuu Zawazawa 1
Chuu Zawazawa 2
Dai Zawazawa 1
Dai Zawazawa 2
Dai Dai Zawazawa

Ko is a not-often-heard reading for ??? (chiisai, small), but there you have it. "Small Zawazawa." Chuu (as you're no doubt aware from mahjong) corresponds to ? (middle), so "Middle Zawazawa." Dai is ?, or Big Zawazawa. And so finally they call the last one "Big Big Zawazawa."

I just listened to all seven for 5-10 seconds, and the first two didn't stand out but didn't strike me as new, either. The middle four were all VERY familiar. But the 7th? "Dai Dai Zawazawa?" 100% certain we've not heard it yet. It has people of different voices and temperaments saying "zawa zawa" all throughout it and sounds REALLY maddening. No doubt this is either coming up or will be a climactic "Zawa Zawa" saved for the moment where Kaiji is closest to snapping.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:39 PM   #117
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Moonlander went to #3 on my list of all time favourite trip-folk for ripping it so quickly, but I can't hear it regardless. ;_; Also, today's SaiGar match is really important. Talon mentioned a while back that this year doesn't seem to have a character like Archer in the tournament, but that's not exactly true since Hiroshi Shiba is both Archer's ancestor and re-incarnation. I've been campaigning pretty hard for a one-man job to try and get his series noticed, but I haven't had any luck and I'm getting a lot of heat for it. So, consider voting for Hiroshi in this round's match. I'd proxy votes but it's too conspicuous this year, and thirty something votes won't matter if Chiaki from Nodame gets 300+ votes.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-24-2008, 11:34 PM   #118
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Sorry, but I was pretty gay for Chiaki all through Nodame, so he gets my vote. Maybe your plea will sway me. We'll see. I have 60 minutes to decide. But I think I'll have to vote for Chiaki (a) because your guy is the Nader of today's vote (i.e. a throwaway vote, even if he is the best candidate) and (b) I would want Chiaki to win over Luffy, and he's going to need every last vote he can muster to do that since so many 4channers enjoy One Piece.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:45 PM   #119
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

4channers don't like One Piece. Each topic dedicated to it gets swarmed with trolls and sages within seconds of each posting. Haven't you ever heard of "set fail"? :P

Also, Kaiji's out.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #120
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

-_- I have been feeling like crap in the past few days. I'm sure no-one cares though. Actually, I'm sure that no-one has even noticed my lack in posts the past few days. Well, whatever.

I have watched a few new episodes, but not much. I have hit the latest Hayate, Okawari, and something else. I have everything downloaded, but I haven't gotten to watching them yet. Now, off to watch Clannad.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:58 PM   #121
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha
-_- I have been feeling like crap in the past few days. I'm sure no-one cares though. Actually, I'm sure that no-one has even noticed my lack in posts the past few days. Well, whatever.
We've noticed. I've noticed. You vanished right after our spat.

I was angry with you at the time, and I think we still have some issues that will need to be resolved at some point in the future, but for now, I'm good with just giving one another a wide berth. Many of the problems I had with how you talked to me the other day were problems, I realized, that I also have with myself and how I talk to others. (For example, your treatment of me regarding Touhou reminded me very much of my treatment of Doppel regarding Chobits.) I realized that there were many things I wanted to say to you a few days ago that could have been said right back in my face. It made it much easier to understand your pain and anger, and it also made it touch close to home with how much I need to change inside and become a better, more tolerant person. I don't think how you treated me the other day was excusable, but I cannot chastise you for doing something I do daily to others. If you are wrong, then I am more wrong. And so before I can demand anything from you, I need to demand things from myself -- and meet those demands.

I would like it very much if you would return to discussing things on UPN because you have many friends here who care about you as a person and about your opinions and moods on topics mutually enjoyed. If you don't want to speak with me -- or at least do not want to speak about Touhou, CCS, and other things with me -- then that's fine, but it should not mean that the others have to suffer for it.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:05 PM   #122
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I stayed away because I was pissed. Honestly, I am still pissed, but like everything else, I will bottle it away and let it all out if something similar happens.

I will just do like always and act like nothing happened. Anyway, if you don't want to discuss Touhou anymore, that's fine. It's a shame though, because I found a demo to SWR.....

One more thing. I am going to attach a picture. Now, look closely and tell me if any of you find anything unusual. I mean, other than the fact that this person is utterly adorable. If you can't find it out, then here's the answer.....It's a guy. >< Yes, this beyond adorable character is a guy. WTF?!
Old 01-25-2008, 07:52 PM   #123
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Sigh, it would appear Talon was correct as Hiroshi did become a Ralph Nader of sorts. I am honestly surprised that Luffy won, since most of the 4channers were backing Chiaki, Arlong Park (a bloody OP forum) went for Hiroshi, and AnimeSuki also backed Hiroshi as well. It would appear most of the Luffy votes came from NarutoFan and GaiaOnline.

Anyway, today's match on the left is easy for me. Claire is (literally) bloody Gar, I look forward to a Claire x Ladd finale in this bloc.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-25-2008, 07:54 PM   #124
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

STFU no. I hate those. Thank god the swimsuit has locks cause with that information, I know to never unlock that Pandora's box.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:24 AM   #125
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I have hit a few new episodes last night. Here's my thoughts on what I can remember.

Rosario + Vampire 3- I took Doppel's example and decided to take this less seriously when watching this. The result? I like it quite a bit better. I mean, I am still not fond of it, because I think all of the cheesy stuff is supposed to be serious, but until the serious parts come, I will continue to go on the "this is so stupid" mindset. I do love how they made fun of the witch girl's "desu". "Desu. Desu. Is she trying to attract some lolicons?" XP

Spice and Wolf 3- I am starting to really like this =D I mean, I am completely uninterested in the whole "trade" thing, but everything else is awesome. I look forward to the next episode ^o^

Minami-ke: Okawari 1- This isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I mean, it's not as good as the original, but it's still pretty funny. It will take a while to get used to the slight change in appearance, but that won't be a big leap. I WAS going to watch episode two last night, but the file was corrupted >.<

Shakugan no Shana II 14- FISTED! The rest of the episode was alright, but that one moment was awesome. I will await the next episode with a shaved badger in hand.

I have yet to watch Kaiji. I have them DLed, but not watched. I also watched Clannad =D

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime