UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 03-17-2014, 09:45 PM   #1
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal

http://sailormoon-official.com/animation/

It's really real for reals!

Covers the first manga/anime arc. Will more follow? Who knows! Gotta get a niconico account by july cause thats when it debuts an starts streaming worldwide!

edit: http://sailormoon-official.com/animation/en/

Hello english site!

Last edited by Lindz; 03-22-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:31 PM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Lindsay, you're alive!

Streaming online is news. I'm surprised Toei's willing to do that...I doubt there will be subs though.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:38 PM   #3
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Of course I'm alive why wouldn't I be >.<?

An even if its not subbed ya know it'll be released locally on disc an stuff by someone eventually even if its Toei themselves! An if its successful enough an we all yell loudly "hey Toei do a big budget Sailor V ova!" then someday they might... remake the rest of the SM series!
Old 05-17-2014, 06:58 PM   #4
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

OMG

Viz licensed the full 200 ep original SM series for redubbing & re-releasing in north america! Sailor Stars at long last!!! DVD/Bluray!

Oh oh AND they got the new upcoming series to! O.O

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...nime-franchise
Old 05-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #5
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Pikagod mentioned it earlier on Skype and we were somewhat pleased. But who owned the original license?
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:53 PM   #6
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Pikagod mentioned it earlier on Skype and we were somewhat pleased. But who owned the original license?
Alot of companies in the US did @_@

DIC, Optimum, Cloverway, ADV, Geneon... then the licenses expired an Toei and/or Naoko Takeuchi were refusing to let anyone relicense for the longest of times or so the legend goes! Based on past experiences I dun got high praise for Viz but given the situation they'd be total morons to screw with this release in any way.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:55 PM   #7
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Ah right. ADV and Geneon. Now neither of those companies are even around....
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:36 PM   #8
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The opening sounds like it's by KOTOKO.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

In case the NND video requires an account, here's the same video on YouTube.

It's good to see the animation looks so great. The worst part of the trailer in this regard is probably the shot of Luna on the wall. (While perhaps manga-faithful, her eyes look sort of cramped and simple.) When that's the worst shot in the trailer, it's a promising sign that we're in good hands with this one.

Not crazy about the opening theme song, but thankfully a bad OP does not a bad show make. And I wouldn't say that it's bad. I'm just not a fan. It's an okay song and its flavor suits the franchise well.

Slightly promising that all five inner Sailor Senshi show up in the trailer. It doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it at least weakly suggests that the pacing is going to be faster than the original television series, which in turn weakly promises that we're going to be saddled with little to no made-for-TV filler.

There's something about the trailer's look and feel that separates Sailor Moon from most modern-day magical girl anime series. This definitely feels to me like it's being made with teens and young adults in mind too, not just little girls ages 6 to 10. I do not get the impression from this trailer that Episode 01 of PGSM Crystal is going to look or feel like Episode 01 of Doki Doki PreCure.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:07 PM   #10
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

The one thing that made me never really get fully on board with the original Sailor Moon was the silly and erratic pacing of the TV series. Even if I was watching the trimmed down dub, I still think it impacted the show negatively, enough that I never bothered to keep with it too much when I was younger. Perhaps I'll start watching the new version?

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:05 AM   #11
Talon87
時の彼方へ

People are already complaining about translations, so I decided to take a quick look at what was on offer. Haven't finished the first episode yet with anyone, but the groups I've looked into are CrunchyRoll (who are obviously working alongside NicoNicoDouga and are likely using an official script, for better or worse) and Commie (who normally just take CrunchyRoll scripts and make alterations to them, again for better or worse).

Spoiler: show
From what I've seen so far, the Commie script is the stronger product if you speak zero Japanese. This is because its English is more natural whereas the CR script can sometimes be a little odd with word choice or sentence structure. For example, when Usagi says 黒猫ちゃんか! Neko-chan ka! at around 4m44s, CrunchyRoll translated this as "Black cat, huh?", with the absence of an article in front feeling kind of awkward. Commie on the other hand opted for "A black one, huh?" I'm not a fan of the fact that they went for "one" in place of "cat" when Japanese can form sentences the same as English can in that regard and yet clearly went with repeating the word "cat" per the phrase "black cat," but at least they have an 'a' in front.

But if you speak some Japanese, then from what I've seen so far -- which is just the first seven minutes of CR's and the first five of Commie's -- I'd have to say that both offerings are about equal for lexical accuracy. Commie seems to be more fond of changing words to suit what they think would sound best. For example, they change it from stepping on a cat, which is what was said, to tripping over a cat. 踏んづけた fundzuketa, from 踏み付ける fumitsukeru "to tread on", as a past tense contraction would probably best be translated into English as a colloquialism for stepping on or trampling over something. Thus, if you don't want to use the word "tread," that's fine, but the analogous "step on" which CrunchyRoll used would be a lot closer than "trip over". For another example, when Usagi complains about mornings, she says 朝ってどうしてくるの?which, while I'll grant every group that it lacks a clean English equivalent, would read at a more literal "Mornings: why do they come?" and at a more sensibly English "Why must mornings come? / "Why do we have to have mornings?", etc. Commie's offering -- "Who invented mornings, anyway?" -- preserves the general idea of the scene but man if it doesn't ruffle my feathers as being a tad too liberal. Like, I am 100% for non-hyperliteral translations. I am 100% on board with translating for your English-speaking audience. But that's not an excuse to just make up whatever words you as a self-fancying wordsmith think sound best. Don't like what was originally said in the script? Tough. Your job is to translate, not to edit. Now, lest it sound like I'm raining down too hard on Commie here, let me reiterate: I think both groups are about equal in this regard. CrunchyRoll's official subs aren't exactly out of the woods either. Some of the changes Commie's made really are for the better, not just for how they sound in English (as discussed in the previous paragraph) but for their accuracy as translations of the original Japanese. So really, if you speak the language well enough already, then I suppose I'd say that you can go with either group and not really care. It's not like either group is offering a flawless script.

Given NND's track record for poor translations, given what appears to be a tie between the two teams in terms of accuracy, and given the clear advantage to Commie in terms of how things sound in English, I guess I would say opt to watch with their translation (or the DeadFish re-encode of their translation) if you're the type to really care about this sort of thing. But if you're stuck with CR, I'd say don't worry about it too badly. While the English might sound kinda weird in places, for the most part it's accurate. A full-on rewrite it decidedly isn't.

Opinions subject to change as I watch more of either group's work. Also, it will be interesting to see if other groups offer to work on this series given its huge star status and given its biweekly schedule. (Maybe DoReMi will pick it up since it's a Toei magical girl anime? )
Old 07-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #12
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Neko-chan = kitty

Why can't they say "A black kitty, huh?"

HUH?!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-06-2014, 02:25 PM   #13
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

BECAUSE IT WOULD RUIN THE PURITY OF THE SUGOI NIPPON MOTHER TONGUE! [/joking]

Although I've seen some pretty bad translations that do so exactly because of weaboos and people who are a bit too obsessed with keeping the language as unedited as possible.

I've watched the episode already, and I honestly can't remember much about the translation work. Not sure I paid all that much attention to the subtitles. (I've watched the original series in Japanese and in Swedish with subtitles, and this time the Japanese felt so...simple, I guess? ^^;;)

Will say a few things about the new episode:
-Why is there French? Yes, there is French in the in-show text, I have no idea what it's there for though. (To be continued was in French, I believe?)

-GODDAMN TUXEDO MASK YOU WANNA BE ANY MORE OBVIOUS AND SUSPICIOUS? CHRIST, AT LEAST THE ORIGINAL SHOW'S MAMORU WASN'T WEARING A TUXEDO EVERYWHERE!

-I cannot get out of my head the image of Tuxedo Mask running around the Tokyo area, visiting every jewelry shop going "Hey, do you have a Legendary Silver Crystal here?".

-Just want to confirm with anyone who knows this stuff: is the cast entirely same as in the original series, or is there any new blood I should look out for? (I spent my childhood with the Swedish dub, Japanese dub still sounds odd to me.)

-If the pacing is going to be "one episode, one Sailor" I'll be pleased. Everyone will be gathered in 5-6 episodes! Though I have no idea how they'll wrap this all up, I thought this was going to be a short series?

Will keep watching, the animation is pretty (as much as the CGI in the transformation sequence and the OP bothered me at first).
Old 07-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #14
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Episode 01:

An enjoyable first episode so long as you forgive the series for being, by 2014 standards, somewhat dated and juvenile. It's important to remember that Sailor Moon was a pioneer in a lot of ways, that it can be argued as the forefathermother of all magical girl series which were to follow (especially the more sentai-esque ones). If you approach it like that, then this first episode of Sailor Moon Crystal should prove delightful.

Half-knowing what's going to happen twenty episodes from now (because I've seen the live-action adaptation) and half-not knowing (because I've forgotten some stuff and because the live-action adaptation, I'm told, deviated from the manga after a certain point), I find myself more anxious for the next episode than I think I would have otherwise been. Like, if I 100% knew what was coming? Not as anxious. And if I had no idea what was coming? Not as anxious. But being in the middle, I am just dying for more episodes to be out already. It's killing me that we're only going to get one new episode every two weeks. For what it's worth, the first episode more or less matches up with the first episode of the live-action series. (And I assume that this was the first episode of the original anime as well.)

With Usagi's powers having been gifted to her, things should start to slowly pick up from here as we add on the other Sailor Scouts. Man, though: I cannot wait until we meet Rei! She was my favorite in the live-action series. Will have to see who my favorites end up being here. Like bbb mentions, the glimpse we catch of Ami at the end of the episode suggests that we'll be formally introduced to her next week in two weeks. Goooooooosh ... I really wish this show aired Mondays thru Fridays one new episode each day. @_@

I thought the animation was fine. Given that this is Toei, it's nice to see them putting forward what for them amounts to an effort to look nice. Actually, I really quite liked how the art style echoed the sensibilities of the early 1990s while the tech specs were clearly from the late 2000s onward. It complemented well the decision to preserve Takeuchi's character designs from the manga as much as possible.

I thought the voice acting was fine -- although man does Usagi's voice actress (who as I understand it is the original voice actress, Mitsuishi Kotono) stand out as the product of a bygone age. She's not bad, but I can hardly imagine her landing the starring role of a teenage heroine in today's voice acting market. The voice she provides is characteristic of female teenage protagonists from similar cartoons of the era, yes, but it's one which you hardly ever find today -- at least not in starring role positions. Anyway, don't let these comments fool you: Mitsuishi's repertoire is legendary in its own right, including such major roles as Evangelion's Misato, GTO's Urumi, and X/1999's Satsuki. And it looks like she's continued to lend her voice to characters in modern shows, although usually they've been fairly minor characters. Good for her, I guess, to get back in the saddle and have fun with this one.

OMG JUST LOOKED AT THE VOICE ACTING LIST TO SEE WHO SOMEONE ELSE WAS AND I SAW WHO WILL BE VOICING REI.

THE ONE, THE ONLY, SATOU RINA!

Will be veeeeeeeeeeeeery surprised now if Rei doesn't remain mai waifu for this series. ;P Though I'm sorry for old school fans that the original Rei, Tomizawa Michie, declined to reprise her role. (Looks like she's in retirement, according to comments on her MAL page.)
Old 07-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #15
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Shit! I totally did not know this thread was here. Sorry about putting that last post in my suggestion box.

For bad translations, I've seen both extremes. One sub group did something like "That neko-chan is so kawaii ^o^!" and they did a TL note saying "Kawaii = cute". For the other extreme....well anything from Commie counts.

For a response to one question (Episode 1 "spoilers" I guess):
As far as I know, the VAs seem the same. Usagi's voice does sound weird to me. I'm trying to figure out if she's a new voice or not. Her "In the name of the moon, I will punish you!" sounds exactly like she does in the original, but I can't unhear another character Usagi's VA does when watching, while it never bothered me in the original. I could look it up, but fudge that.

EDIT: Why look it up when Suigin can do it for me?! Looks like Usagi is the same. Hummy from Suite Precure is the character I couldn't unhear, and Hummy is a bubbly cutesy mascot, if that says anything.

Everyone else seems the same. Hopefully Ami will be the same. I'm quite fond of KUYA MOOOOOONRAIGHTO.

One thing I like about the remake is how they changed Usagi's attack name. Let's be honest. "Moon Tiara Action" sounds retarded, and almost sexy. "Moon Tiara Boomerang" sounds better. Though I'm a bit disappointed the attack still LOOKS lame as hell.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:34 PM   #16
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Without looking at any other spoiler box, the entire cast has been replaced except Usagi.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-06-2014, 10:27 PM   #17
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

On the subject of VAs, I decided to take a quick look. Not really a spoiler, but whatever.

Ami is voiced by...Ika Musume? Really? The calm Ami is going to have such a bubbly and moe voice. It's going to be weird to say the least. I mean I can understand them not giving Ami her original VA. While Ami's original VA still does voices, she sounds really mature in her roles that I've seen recently (she does Palutena), and it doesn't really fit for a schoolgirl. It'd be about as weird as Usagi sounding like a mascot! ....wait.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:29 PM   #18
McSweeney
Soul Badge

When they did the Dragonball Z Kai remake, they got a lot of the original voice actors back even though most of them were literally elderly by that time.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:06 AM   #19
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So, earlier today I was 'ing over finding out who will be voicing Sailor Mars in Crystal. I just now saw who will be voicing Sailor Venus. And now I am double 'ing.

Two of my seiyuu waifus. Although Itou Shizuka (Sailor Venus's) I've tended to hear in roles as a haughty, quasi-villainous ojou-sama type, so ... this'll be interesting. O.o

As for who will be voicing Sailor Mercury ...

It's Saeki Makoto from Gingitsune! Not exactly how I picture Ami sounding myself but I guess we'll just have to wait and see how she voices the character.

And since I've come this far, I guess I may as well look up who's voicing Sailor Jupiter an see if I recognize anything she's been in ...

Oh, she should work. Kallen/Karen in Code Geass. Caren in Carnival Phantasm. Holo in Wolf & Spice. She should be able to give us an interesting, character-appropriate Kino Makoto.

So yeah. I'm optimistic about all four supporting Sailor Scouts and particularly can't wait for Mars and Venus.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:33 AM   #20
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

They've announced the new English cast for the re-dub.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:00 AM   #21
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Episode 2 motherfuckers!

Crystal episode 2 spoilers
Huh...look at that. Ami doesn't sound bad at all. I'm kind of surprised actually. In every role she does, she always has that Ika Musume voice in her, and you can tell it's her right away. Maybe she wanted to be Ami because she got sick of using that voice for everything? Also improved attack names! Mist > bubbles

The episode itself was okay. Alot of blushey face closeups. I don't remember enough about the original episode to really compare what happened. I'm pretty sure Usagi didn't get her hands on the disc though. It'd be weird if she had a laptop back in the stone ages! Well Ami was sweet this episode, and what else do you really need?!

Thinking back, Luna is a much better mascot than what we get nowadays. Sure, she's just a regular cat (designwise), but she's actually useful, and doesn't have that grating super high pitched voice.

Last edited by big bad birtha; 07-20-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #22
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Episode 02:

Enjoyable. But also unsatisfying -- by which I mean that it didn't sate my hunger. It's killer to have to wait an entire two weeks for the next episode. And I don't mean "killer" in the skater slang sense of the word either. ^_^;

Ami was fine. I don't enjoy her whole "Asian child syndrome" backstory with the pressure she feels to academically succeed, but we honestly got very little of that this episode so I can't complain much there. She looked fine, sounded fine, etc.

The CD-ROM thing stood out to me as well. It struck me as a somewhat strange and very deliberate choice. They didn't have CD-ROMs (or at least they certainly didn't hand them out like water for children to take home with them) in the early 1990s, so it's obviously an updated presentation on whatever was originally there in the manga. But at the same time CD-ROMs are really rather outdated in 2014. ^^; The school wouldn't ask the students to provide a USB stick and put data on their USB stick? Or it wouldn't have software for their smartphones? I mean, while most computers do still come with an optical drive, in this day and age it is not unheard of for some not to! So I feel like the choice to go with a CD-ROM was very deliberate:
  • it probably replaced something which was considered too old fashioned (like an audio cassette)
  • but it probably was also intended to still convey something of an "old-fashioned feel" to the little girls in the 2014 audience watching this at home
I dunno. Maybe we're wrong and the original scene just had hypnotic pencil-and-paper notes.

Whenever Usagi kills the Monster of the Week, I can't help but to step outside the show for one second and remark that we just witnessed a 14-year old kill somebody. Granted, they're monsters! But still. Even treating it like that, it's analogous to having this 14-year old suburbanite having suddenly graduated to the task of snuffing out bears' or wolves' lives. It's kind of crazy to consider that a girl like Usagi, while she's still freaked out by fighting in general, seems to have no hesitation about throwing that tiara boomerang and obliterating a life form. But I guess since they were clay to begin with it's no different than a Power Ranger killing a Putty.

Not much else to say. This was a token introduction-to-a-new-character episode and we all knew that it would be. No strong complaints but no real praise either. Buckle in for no fewer than two more like this, though I'm hoping that Rei's introduction at least will be much more entertaining.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #23
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The CD-ROM thing might be a screw up. In the original anime, Usagi is famous for waving a floppy disk around and going "You're lucky, I don't know anything about computers!". Perhaps some producer born in 1993 impudently assumed that CD-ROMS and floppy disks, both before his time, would meld together in reminiscence as a singular "archaic age" to we senile old bats.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-21-2014, 05:11 PM   #24
Adamant
Pokemon Trainer

It was a CD-ROM in the original manga. The 90s anime changed it to a floppy.
Adamant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:22 PM   #25
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
It was a CD-ROM in the original manga. The 90s anime changed it to a floppy.
That's surprising to me. (Pretty light Episode 02 spoilers.)

I know that Japan is sometimes well ahead of us in technological trends -- mainstream cell phone usage in the 1990s (Japan) vs. 2000s (USA) comes to mind -- but I didn't think it would extend to CD-ROMs. My family didn't get its first CDs until 1994; before then, we only had audio cassettes. While there were of course the occasional computer game or business software that came on CDs in the early 1990s, I remember many companies continuing to use floppies (true floppies) into the mid-90s and (hard floppies) the late '90s. It wasn't until the late 1990s, early 2000s that the first CD burners for general use began to come out here. And it was with their arrival that we began to see the sort of thing shown in this episode of Sailor Moon -- a small lil' cram school providing custom-made CDs.

Looking at Wikipedia's article for CD technology reveals that it "went mainstream" as early as 1985, and technically arrived even earlier than that. That's pretty crazy. I don't think I even saw my first CD until 1993. And I mean in any capacity: my earliest memory of a CD that I can pull up right now would be of the soundtrack for Disney's Aladdin (released October 1992). So it blows me away to be told that CDs were already mainstream in Europe (and presumably corners of America?) by the mid-1980s.

I wonder why the original anime team felt it necessary to change it from a CD to a floppy disk. Like, I understand why they probably did it: to make it more accessible to a wider audience of children and to not offend anyone who might have been too poor to afford CDs and CD players back then. But like, why did the studio feel strongly enough about it to go with diskettes yet Takeuchi felt strongly(?) enough about it in the other direction to go with CDs? Surely the editor of her manga and the producer of the television series would have had the same concerns. So why did the manga editor greenlight her decision to go with a more modern technology but the later television producer said "No" to it?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime